[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classless TTRPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Would a classless system where you have more options to just customize your character however you want as you progress work, be balanced, and be fun in a TTRPG? Something akin to Dark Souls or Fallout.
>>
Sure.

House ruled WFRP all the time to allow that, though perhaps it felt like less of a jump messing with a "career" system compared to say trying to rip the classes out of D&D.

At a basic level even just fudging what someone needed to enter the new career they want so that it matches up with the story better always felt like it added a heap.

As for what is balanced and fun, at the end of the day it's the GMs call and up to the players to come up with a convincing reason for them to get access to something.
>>
>>55105172
It certainly can be. It might not necessarily be depending on how well the game is designed. I'm not even sure what you're asking here, to be honest.
>>
>>55105172
>What is Shadowrun
>What is WoD
>What is GURPS
>What is ORE

OP D&D and Pathfinder aren't the only systems out there. This isn't a far fetched or revolutionary idea.
>>
>>55105401
Friend wants to play DnD but doesn't actually want to play DnD because "class systems are gay just let me play whatever I want".
>>
>>55105566
40k's Black Crusade, Only War and DH2 are good for classless gameplay, you just pick your starting aptitudes and starting conditions and off you go.
>>
>>55105566
If he insists on the d20 feel just grab True20 and run it in a D&D-type setting.
>>
>>55105172
What ive done in my game is set up "paths" that you can walk. Each path has its own abilities based on what the players want. If i have a character who want to be a pyromancer i ignore class restrictions and just offer them things that would make sense for a pyromancer to have. Just ignore the class system, basically. Let the players decide what they think their character should have and introduce scenarios and mentors who can teach or giver them those abilities.

I dont really know if that helps but it makes the players feel like they're building a character rather than just putting one together like a puzzle
>>
>>55105566
If you want to make a chop-shop classless version of DnD, probably the best way to do it is to throw out all the classes, compile a list of all the individual spells, skills, other abilities, attacks, feats, etc.; and try to come up with experience point values for each of them. You adventure around, and get XP. Instead of advancing from Fighter level 2 to Fighter level 3, you use those points to buy an extra BaB plus, and to pick up that feat you've been eyeing, as well as sock some away to learn a spell after the next big fight.
>>
>>55105172
homebrewed that in

all magic/abilities is used as magical words, such as "cleave cleave" means hit adjacent foes with melee, "pierce bleed" means an arrow will pierce targets in a line and apply bleed, and "sphere, fire" is a fireball. Words don't have to be spoken.

Anyone can choose any spell, but players usually maintain them within a concept they have, such as Fighters using body-centric and physical damage abilities, Rogues stock up on flashbangs, bombs, and flashpowder, Wizards do fireballs and Clerics take Healing Hands.
>>
>>55105944
Balancing absolutely everything in that regard is nightmarish amounts of bookkeeping and eyeballing, though.
>>
>>55108182

This.

Then again if you don't mind shit being busted then go for it.
>>
>>55105172
Yes, its fun. I have houseruled some with my friends
>>
>>55105172
WoD, Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds, Fate
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.