[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/ Board Games General - fa/tg/uys anonymous edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 67

File: Board Games General 50.jpg (163KB, 632x442px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 50.jpg
163KB, 632x442px
The latest and greats in board game generals!

Previous thread ---> >>55040816

> What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?

> What's the most embarrassing or weird thing you've seen while board gaming?

Pastebin - Board Game related links and Info...

https://pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K

> Currently looking for suggestions for additional thread starter links and new content to add to the pastebin. Yours would be?
>>
>>55088746
first for at least it's not monopoly
>>
>>55088777
> No Monopoly...

Yes, it could have been much worse. No Monopoly, Risk, Catan, Munchkin, or other 'trigger' subjects. ;)
>>
>>55088674
Thanks a lot man. I will do a test for sure and clean it. He has played it plenty but I doubt he washed the minis so I'll do it just in case and give a gentle scrub with a toothbrush.
>>
File: 1316269984538.jpg (23KB, 362x372px) Image search: [Google]
1316269984538.jpg
23KB, 362x372px
>>55088746
>> What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?

I've made some mistakes, but it wasn't anything to bad, and it didn't hose someone else out of winning a game so no one got terribly butt-hurt or anything.

>> What's the most embarrassing or weird thing you've seen while board gaming?

My family has had dogs as pets for decades. Years ago we had a Basset Hound named 'Maude'. Maude was creatively evil. She would eat and be covered with slobber and use your pant legs as a napkin - ewww! But she was legendary for her ability to fling slobber. She'd shake her head and people would dive for cover. One day there's 5 or 6 of us sitting around the table gaming, and into the room walks 'Maude'. Everyone stops to see if she's going 'slobber-bomb' us... <Nope-dodged-a-bullet.jpg>. So we go back to gaming. And Maude waddles in under the game table. About 30 seconds later, one person looks up with an expression of sheer terror and horror on then face... And then it hits the rest of us. A smell. "Oh god. OH. MY. GOD!" It was a stench that made the eyes water, could peal the paint off of a battleship, and violated numerous Geneva Conventions. Each of us is looking at the others wondering how it was humanly possible to produce that kind of stench. When I glance under the table. And there's Maude - I swear that bitch was grinning. In a split-second what had been a calm game turned into a stamped to flee the room. Maude literally gassed us out of the gaming area for a good 20 - 30 minutes before the room aired out enough to return.

Maude passed away a couple of decades ago. But the long time members of my gaming group haven't ever let me forget 'Gas Warfare' game.
>>
File: Orange Peel 01.jpg (97KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Orange Peel 01.jpg
97KB, 512x384px
>>55089021
Glad to help. I know a lot of people who think it's a waste of time to clean minis before spray priming / painting them. But I've seen multiple examples, including pic related which was the one time I decided to 'save time' and skip the washing of the sprues. Go figure... The oils in your skin can cause paint not to adhere well to the surface of the mini which is reason #1 to wash them. But mold-release agents are commonly used in the minis making industry to prolong the working life of expensive metal molds. And unfortunately those chemical compounds can and sometimes do react with the solvents in spray paint. So washing the minis first is the easiest and cheapest way to help avoid trashing expensive plastic needlessly.
>>
File: 1373576869106.jpg (208KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1373576869106.jpg
208KB, 800x600px
>>55089089
Temperature and humidity can also have a serious impact on how well your spray primer or paint goes on the minis. Read the labeling - most will tell you that you want weather in the 70's (F) and moderate humidity. If it's way to dry and/or hot - then the paint may start to clump and dry before it even hits the surface of the minis. Again, doing a spray test first helps avoid expensive mistakes.
>>
File: 1359163026856.jpg (352KB, 1167x833px) Image search: [Google]
1359163026856.jpg
352KB, 1167x833px
>>55089119
And it is generally a good idea to prime minis before painting them - particularly if said minis are going to get handled a lot. Primer gives the paint a better surface to adhere to, and helps it last. You can also 'varnish' your minis, but varnish is even more temperature sensitive when applying it. And over the decades it will eventually 'yellow' as it ages.
>>
>>55088746

The first time I brought Evolution: the Beginning to game group I didn't know traits were limited. One guy still lambasts me every week for having had a super creature with like 9 traits.

Someone brought in CaH...

Most embarrassing however is bringing my dad and having him cheat.
>>
>>55088746
>Most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?
For a bout a week I was teching Secret Hitler as though the President doesn't select a Chancellor until after he's elected. Yeah, that was pretty bad.

>What's the most embarrassing or weird thing you've seen while board gaming?
Friend getting pissed off and having a legitimate tantrum during a game of Dead of Winter, I think someone had done something stupid to try and draw out the traitor, but ended up just helping them. When we called him out on being an asshat about it, his response was "I know I'm being a douche, but I'm pissed off so the rest of you are just going to have to deal with it until I don't want to anymore."
We still give him crap about that whenever he gets salty, which is often. Hasn't gotten old yet.
>>
>>55089157
>>55089119
>>55089089
Horrendous results, jesus. I'm definitely not going to risk a buddy's minis to that. I'll spray a tad on the base and give it 10 minutes to see how it reacts to the plastic first.

I never washed my minis mind you and I never got this issue. I got 4 armies in 40k as well as heaps of random minis, but regardless, anecdotal. You can evade it often but when it happens, you'd wish you took every precaution.

I wonder if I can prime actually. I live in the med and it's still fairly warm nowadays and quite humid. Might not be able to prime at all unless it's early morning.
>>
File: IMG_0440.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0440.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Guy who got a copy of Forbidden Stars on Friday, I finally finished storing everything. Last thing to do is sleeve the cards and the sleeves should get delivered tomorrow
>>
File: well ok then.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
well ok then.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>55089651
>tfw you just can't get that 4th box in the row

would they not fit if you rotated the contents 90ยบ? (box rectangle not square)
>>
>>55089873
It won't, the box is ~1 cm too short unfortunately. It works out thought because the blue box and the upright plano case keep the tiles from sliding around
>>
>>55089651
MFW I have a bunch of Plano boxes like that I can use with my copy of Forbidden Stars
>>
>>55089873
>>55089651
Same annoying feel with the new Iello edition of Diamant, 8 chests, they don't fit 4 across unless one row is turned sideways, and if you don't tetris them in rather than neat rows the cards/gems don't fit right. More publishers need to copy DoW and do those wonderful vacuform inserts. Cardboard valleys may keep the games safe in transit and be cheap but they're awful for the OCD gamer
>>
>>55088746
>> What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?
First time playing The King is Dead.
I was the only one who had read the rules. I even made sure to read it twice in case I overlooked something the first time.
I still fucking managed to miss the line that says to move all followers from a region to the common pool after resolving it.
This basically rendered most of the "place followers" card useless.
>>
>>55088746
I honestly don't remember, which means it couldn't have been that embarrassing. But I did forget to tell my wife that you got a bonus if you laid down eight cards in a track in Lost Cities, and she still uses that as evidence that I omit rules to win when we play.

Someone at a board game Meetup got really mad playing Citadels, because he kept getting hit. He ended up throwing his hand at the other player when he got Magicianed, which would have been bad enough. Then he wrote this diatribe in the comments section of the group calling us all kinds of names and threatening to show all of us what "the human animal is truly capable of" next time he saw us. It was Navy Seals copypasta tier.
>>
>>55093306
Post it for us, that sounds hilarious.
>>
>want a bunch of stuff a company sold at gencon
>really only one tiny expansion is a priority
>hit up ebay
>only person left selling it has it "buy it now" for 5x what it's actually sold for in auctions
>see "or best offer"
>offer 50% more than auction sale prices
>counteroffer: full buy-in-now

I hate scalping in general, but I get it. I don't get the folks that list things at obviously ludicrous prices and insist on sitting on them.
>>
>>55093832
You don't understand how little money means to some people. He's looking for that ONE RICH dumbass who's willing to just pay whatever to get it now.
>>
File: DisgustedCat.jpg (125KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
DisgustedCat.jpg
125KB, 525x700px
>>55088746
>greats
>order of pastebin and questions messed up
>forgot to put the map in the op
>>
>>55093321
Unfortunately, it's been five years since then, and if I did save a copy, it was a computer migration ago.
>>
File: file.gif (100KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
file.gif
100KB, 600x337px
>>55094063
all he had to do was copy paste
>>
>>55094063
>forgot to put the map in the op
Aside from the last thread this is not, and really shouldn't be a thing. Besides if you want to get truly autistic about it you should be complaining about the spacing and the title
>board GAME general
That's how you know when it's not one of our usual people who posted the new thread
>>
>>55094367
>this is not, and really shouldn't be a thing

at least 13 anons in all three hemispheres say different

the other 4 people on bgg probably haven't seen it BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN THE OP

also it sure would be nice if we could get some more quality starter images
>>
>>55094416
>>55094468
>in all three hemispheres
>three
I want to support you on your map to bring /bgg/ together but you really need a geography class first anon
>>
File: Party Wooooo.png (467KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Party Wooooo.png
467KB, 600x600px
My birthday was last week and I threw a party yesterday and surprisingly people brought gifts.

Colt express, Spoils of war and Cosmic encounter.

Saw some of you guys talking about how you guys dislike Cosmic. I have never played it but everyone apparently loves it.

Any comments on the other games?
Also
What is the worst game anyone has given you?
>>
File: Yeah - Autism.png (59KB, 689x422px) Image search: [Google]
Yeah - Autism.png
59KB, 689x422px
>>55094063
>>order of pastebin and questions messed up

LOL - this level of Autism. If you were literate you would have noticed there's a question related to updating the pastebin Which is why it's down in the question section.

>>forgot to put the map in the op

1. Which your dumb-ass failed to link to it here too. Way to go there "Nigel 'Incubator' Jones!"

2. How many Anons of Doxxed themselves? Why, according to you it's a massive 13 out of 75 - 80+ Anons that post here. Wow - 16% to 17% of possible posters. (Represented by someone who couldn't manage to post the link themselves while whining about it.)

3. How many games have resulted as a product of said 'Mah Map'? ZERO? Yeah...

4. What's the likelihood of any games resulting from said map? The phrase you're looking for among the statistics community is "the percentage is so small it's scientifically indistinguishable from zero."

And while I appreciated the concept, there are frankly a hell of a lot more 40K / GW gamers out there, and the exact same map idea fails. Normally I might apologize for missing it. But frankly, hearing you whining about an unrealistic project which you can't even link to yourself just makes you look foolish.
>>
>>55094733
>Saw some of you guys talking about how you guys dislike Cosmic. I have never played it but everyone apparently loves it.

C.E. is a fairly social game, which depends as much on manipulating others as it does on a deep strategic understanding of the rules. And some people "cannot into social". And people aren't exactly the most easy thing to deal with which can frustrate gamers used to machine like precision with rules outcomes.
>Any comments on the other games?

Sorry, haven't played any others.

>What is the worst game anyone has given you?

I haven't gotten any 'bad' games. In fact I've gotten some really good ones like Quarter Master General.
>>
File: deck box.jpg (19KB, 372x450px) Image search: [Google]
deck box.jpg
19KB, 372x450px
/tg/, where do you buy cheap deck boxes?

I've got some games where the paper card boxes are nearly falling apart. I need replacements, but $5 for a folded sheet of plastic seems silly.
>>
File: edh box.jpg (23KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
edh box.jpg
23KB, 355x355px
>>55094367
I use a slightly larger version for my EDH decks, shit works great and it's cheap as fuck.
>>
>>55095495
I go for cardstock and make my own tuck boxes most of the time, but if I have to have a strong deck box I'll use a plastic one like anon posted, or grab something at the container store. If I want a box for traveling with multiple games I've got a satin tower I'll load with half a dozen microgames.

There's also TCC, which some anon posted a few months back when we were having a full autism discussion on sleeving. That guy's reviewed pretty much every box out there, once you find what you're looking for in terms of style, go looking on CSI/Amazon/MM/etc for the best price, or wait til prime day/black Friday sales and load up.
>tolariancommunitycollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/TCCReportCardLive.pdf
>>
>>55095495
Try CSI (Coolstuffinc.com) and Miniature Market.
>>
>>55095692
>>55095702
Thanks, those prices are much better than what I see on amazon.
>>
File: 271192_s5.jpg (27KB, 714x750px) Image search: [Google]
271192_s5.jpg
27KB, 714x750px
>>55095495
As far as I'm concerned, several deck boxes of varying sizes are must-haves for any tabletop game player. I've bought all mine from Amazon and CSI recently, but I still have a Pokรฉmon one that is dear to me from around 1999. I use them to carry TCG decks, but also small board/card games like Star Realms.
TCC is a great resource to pick the perfect one for you. For me, Ultimate Guard is my go-to brand. This one called Boulder is next up on my list. I already have a Monolith and it's great, but it's huge.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Boulder-Deck-Small/dp/B06XGFVZNP/
>>
>>55096478
Amazon isn't the biggest retailer because they have the best prices, it's because they have everything and the shipping is less a hassle. I'm stingy as all hell when it comes to my gaming budget so I tend to only do an Amazon order if the pricing is well below retail or I've got gift cards. CSI/MM are better but if you can hold off on an order til it's at the $100 mark for free shipping it's even better. The problem is a deck box isn't a big ticket item, so you're really better off grabbing them as part of another order, like sleeves/dice/supplies rather than go looking specifically for them and get hit on shipping or higher prices.

Of note MM changed from peanuts to airbag packaging a while back, so you're more likely to see a dented box from them or Amazon than CSI. They do have the better "hold" policy, with it being built in to their website, and allowing multiple daily deals in a single order. Sadly their rewards program is absolute shit ($1 = 1point which refunds to 1 cent)

CSI you have to work around the system to hold things, and max out at 1 daily deal per order. Upside they use peanuts, which are a pain but result in no dented boxes ever. Their rewards system is better (% off based on $ spent) but you honestly NEVER need to use it. The promo code AZ13 is in effect non-stop, giving you $5 off $75 (better than the 5% off top tier reward) and if you get your order to $100 you can get the free shipping at $95.

If you really needed deck boxes on the cheap tomorrow? MM clearance section, get a couple of the ugly/cringe art boxes they can't unload. If you wanted nice ones and aren't in a hurry? CSI, wait for a sale on a board game you really want, toss the boxes in extra, or wait for one of the big MM sales (they do one every 3-4 months) and grab a bunch of stuff along with boxes/sleeves/supplies.
>>
>>55096478
Glad to help.

>>55096697
>The promo code AZ13 is in effect non-stop, giving you $5 off $75 (better than the 5% off top tier reward) and if you get your order to $100 you can get the free shipping at $95.

How did I not know this? That's excellent. Thank you!
>>
File: Victory.png (583KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Victory.png
583KB, 1200x1000px
>>55096997
>I am here to help and trigger anons with comic sans charts, and I'm all out of new comic sans charts.
I think I've posted it once or twice in the past but I really should remind people more often. They will occasionally have other promo codes that do the same thing, or maybe a free shipping at a lower price point; but yeah I've never had AZ13 not work. It's kinda sad since it totally negates their reward system, but I suppose that reward system is also a thing for MtG people who buy singles and get 10% off instead of 5% at the max tier.
>>
I have the choice between Shogun and Hyperborea too get second hand cheap. What should I get? Haven't played either but interested to.
>>
>>55097148
Why not both?
>>
>>55094733
>What is the worst game anyone has given you?
I won Yashima in a raffle and I can't even bear playing again.

My wife gave me Hanabi and I was excited because I thought it was Lanterns, not backwards go fish. I've never played.
>>
>>55097159
Because money. That and I don't often have big enough groups that get together to play games that don't have their own stuff to play so I try to keep my list of games I own smaller.
>>
>>55095178
>STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

nobody asked you to be on the map
>>
>>55089157
How do I prevent what happened in this photo to my minis?
>>
>>55097168
>I've never played.
Just because it's not what you thought it was doesn't mean it's automatically a bad game
>>
>>55097148
>Shogun

Shogun was a decent not-Risk but the water spots and some slightly bastardized setting up probably made it less than it should have been.

What I didn't get out of it was a "you're in feudal Japan" I mean it could have been a blank hex-map and 3 colored block goods for all you actually felt of the theme.

So yeah I'd say that one would be fine, unless you're looking to feel like you're in Japan.

OTOH, Hyperboria looks neat, get that and let us know how it is.
>>
File: wat.png (78KB, 282x300px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
78KB, 282x300px
>>55097255
where did I ever say it was bad? how would I know since I haven't played?
>>
>>55097409
My bad, I assumed that since you were talking about the worst game anyone has given you that you decided you didn't like it.

I enjoy playing Hanabi a lot, it's deceptively difficult. If you get a chance to try it, I'd recommend it.
>>
>>55097099
I like the discount and the great customer service I've gotten to date from CSI. My only issue with them is I'm going to need more shelf space if I keep buying games because they keep having good prices...

>>55097211
>nobody asked you to be on the map

Except the Anon who proposed the idea wanted everyone to put their info there. But way to be dense. Again, I don't care if the map is included, but when someone who can't be bothered to post the link themselves acts all butt-hurt, I don't have much interest in going out of my way for them when they're to damn lazy to do anything for themselves. Nor do I buy the idea that including the map in the OP is some how magically going to make it work 'this time' when the interwebz is literally full of failed examples of this very same thing.

Oh, and nice whinging but failing to post the link to the map (again!) Bravo Anons, bravo!
<how-many-retards-will-it-take-to-post-the-link?.jpg>

>>55097228
> How do I prevent what happened in this photo to my minis?

Me personally? I'd start by reading the text and looking at the photo which highlights why priming before painting is a good idea. But that's just me...
>>
File: 20170827_215629.jpg (789KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_215629.jpg
789KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: 20170827_220712.jpg (606KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_220712.jpg
606KB, 2048x1152px
>>55097834
>>
File: 20170827_221344.jpg (787KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_221344.jpg
787KB, 2048x1152px
John James Ryan you made the cut
>>
>>55097690
What crawled up your ass?

Anyway, I did use primer on my minis and I still had the paint come off on corners, that's why I was asking
>>
File: 20170827_221542.jpg (899KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_221542.jpg
899KB, 2048x1152px
>>
>>55097917
did you.... wash them?
>>
File: 20170827_222054.jpg (921KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_222054.jpg
921KB, 2048x1152px
>>
>>55097917
If you've got paint coming off after priming, check your grip on the mini, if you're holding it by an edge or it's resting against a mat/table that can rub off little bits of paint before you get it varnished/cleared. It's why lots of painters will stick mini bases to old pots of paint and hold them by something else.

As for anon's ass, we don't ask questions about those things here, have you never been to a con? Gamer hygiene is a thing from eldritch abomination nightmares
>>
>>55097933
I did

>>55097955
That's what I assumed it was so thanks for confirming my suspicions anon
>>
File: 20170827_222257.jpg (846KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_222257.jpg
846KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: 20170827_222515.jpg (722KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_222515.jpg
722KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: 20170827_222930.jpg (785KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_222930.jpg
785KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: kobold-5_0.jpg (18KB, 280x288px) Image search: [Google]
kobold-5_0.jpg
18KB, 280x288px
>>55097986
Yeah I had it happen a lot with SDE minis when I first started painting. Those kobold helmets had a fantastic bump for only touching one tiny part of the mini along with under the base and I wouldn't rub paint off (pic related). Couldn't figure out for days why the top of their helmets weren't the same leadbelcher metallic as the rest of the rim I'd just painted. Now I always try to hold only by the base until I'm done painting the body and then the base gets a single coat while it's on the board before I varnish.
>>
File: 20170827_223328.jpg (776KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_223328.jpg
776KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: Primed 01.jpg (186KB, 819x614px) Image search: [Google]
Primed 01.jpg
186KB, 819x614px
>>55097917
Apologies - your question made it sound as if you didn't actually read the post. Which unfortunately happens here a lot.

What kind of minis are we talking - metal or plastic, and did you (as the other Anon asked) wash them before priming them? Failure to wash minis can result in mold release, or just plain oils from your skin causing primer or paint not to adhere well to the surface and then peel off at the least bit of ware.

1. Wash dem minis before you prime or paint.

2. Make sure your primer is appropriate for what you're applying it to, and what you're going to paint over it with. Not all primers are good for all types of materials and paints.

2a. When actually priming my minis and bits, I use a flat surface with some masking tape held in place sticky side up. It keeps the bits from moving around while priming them, and isn't so sticky that it gums up the other side of the bits before priming them.

3. While painting, try not to handle the minis itself - again the oils from your fingers can have less than ideal effects. Again, a bit of masking tape in a loop on a small piece of foam-core board or other object is a good way to hold the mini at a comfortable height without handling the mini itself.

4. After the painting is done - varnishing minis can prolong the life of their paint jobs greatly. Gloss varnish is definitely more durable than mat varnish. Some people put down a coat of gloss first and once dry then go over a 2nd time with a mat varnish to keep the model from looking oddly shiny. (Do this before you add the details like flocking / static grass to the base.)

Personally I don't varnish my models any more. Varnish can yellow as the years go by, and if you varnish in overly hot, cold, or humid conditions it can cause the varnish to become 'frosted' or semi-opaque which can ruin an otherwise fantastic paint job. So do your homework on varnishes and application conditions to avoid those issues.

Hope that helps!
>>
File: 20170827_223406.jpg (640KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_223406.jpg
640KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: Cutting Tools.jpg (209KB, 1000x731px) Image search: [Google]
Cutting Tools.jpg
209KB, 1000x731px
>>55098059
>>55098080
>>55098093
>>55098119

Nice! I see you've made a nifty "High-Tech" (at least compared to mine) DIY tool. :) Mine is for cutting through thick 1/2" to 2" foam when creating 40K building terrain, but it does a nice job on cutting foam-core board too.
>>
File: 20170827_223857.jpg (681KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_223857.jpg
681KB, 2048x1152px
>>
>>55098157
yeah I'm trying to be patient and do may light passes instead of just sawing through.
>>
>>55098157
>>55098163
I love these DIY tools for projects, though it might be time for a new paint palette/cutting mat for me
>>
File: fuck you my taxes paid for it.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you my taxes paid for it.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>55098277
Forgot the fucking picture
>>
File: 20170827_224141.jpg (835KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_224141.jpg
835KB, 2048x1152px
>>55098277
Yeah I obsessed over this box for forever.

OH SHIT WHY DID YOU DISTRACT ME
>>
File: 20170827_224730.jpg (816KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_224730.jpg
816KB, 2048x1152px
>>55098290
>not just flipping it over
>>
File: 20170827_224817.jpg (990KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_224817.jpg
990KB, 2048x1152px
>>
File: castlediceedge.jpg (365KB, 1798x1152px) Image search: [Google]
castlediceedge.jpg
365KB, 1798x1152px
I need to do something about this edge though.

The blade was getting dull, thus piling. I was originally thinking I might have to tape the edges, but the box design is nicely affixed to the cardboard.

Still that edge is rough and exposed. I could either tape, paint, glue soak to harden it... hmm.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55098316
The other side was all cut to shit from foam core insert building. They really only last long enough to cut 1-2 sheets of foam, or paint 10-20 minis (too much water on the cardboard to thin the paints). Also dull the knife quite a bit more than those self-healing mats but hey I'm cheap.
>>
>>55098365
If you wanted the edge perfectly smooth? Paint and brush on varnish maybe. There's also that self adhesive vinyl; lot of gamers use it to wrap the backside of custom built boards, grab a roll in black and wrap the edge maybe? It'd be tough though if you only wanted to cover the edge and not have it on the inside of the lid or covering the box art.
>>
>>55098426
I did kind of chop the box art in half already.
>>
>>55098458
True, it's something my ocd wouldn't be able to tolerate. Paper studio stuff is 50% off at Hobby Lobby this week, $4 for a 12x36 sheet of black vinyl, you could easily cut long thin strips off of it to cover
>>
File: 1491259265269.gif (4MB, 298x150px) Image search: [Google]
1491259265269.gif
4MB, 298x150px
>>55088746
While technically I wasn't teaching a game (nobody knew the rules and it wasn't my game).... I definitely didn't read the rules back to front like I should have.

I was playing the Empire in a IA campaign and we didn't know that 'Threat' and 'Threat Level' were two different variables.

To us they both meant the number on the movable dial - so on a campaign mission where the health of the door = threat level... that plus some of those tokens that double the hit points of the doors...

I think the doors at some point had 50 hit points? Yeah let's just say we haven't played IA since because the Rebels thought the game lacked 'balance'
>>
>>55098365
just cover it with PVA all around the edge using your finger. Thin layer.
Works better than varnish.
>>
so, what are /bgg/'s thoughts on Mystic Vale?
>>
Question - I want to build a new IP what is the best way of proofing it from other companies stealing my idea? Should I write some fiction for it? Make RPG game based on some open ended system? Few people playtested my board game prototype based on this IP and they are totally sure that it would be a hit. So what should it be? Board game, fiction or RPG system?
>>
>>55101377
Never played, but I did play the second "card crafting" game, Custom Heroes. It's awful.
>>
>>55101377
A decent example of a new type of game.

Will probably end up in the collection of quite a few players but ultimately superceded by something else/better, although what supercedes it will differ from person to person.

So basically the Dominion of Card Crafting games, but not as widespread/successful.

>>55101830
I second that, Custom Heroes is awful.
>>
>>55101791
Copyright Law.
>>
>>55102218
You have to have something first to copyright it. The question was about what this thing suppose to be (the best option). And copyright law is different from country to country....
>>
>>55096697
>CSI shipping is undentable because of peanuts
>purchased board game
>came in over the weekend
>have to return it because it's dented
>>
>>55102239
The thing is, the important part can be less what medium you present, and more in how you present it to get the law on your side in case of an actual attempt at stealing your IP. Fiction, RPG, or Board Game it ought to be carefully branded so that you can define to a court of law the elements that make your IP uniquely yours. I guess leading by vanity publishing some original fiction and then making your game technically an adaptation would probably be decent at building a base beneath the nose of a theoretically theft-inclined other company.

But, all this other discussion aside, it's worth remembering that "Serial numbers filed off" copies are generally considered legitimate, IP law protects you, basically, against others using your Proper Nouns. See also: The Tolkien Estate not suing the pants off of Terry Brooks when The Sword of Shannara came out.
>>
>>55098110
>>55098127
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I did wash them in warm soapy water and then let them dry before I put primer on them. I think my problem was I was handling the mini itself a little bit. I tried holding just the base but my hand started to cramp after a while, I'll need to get something to put the minis on next time
>>
>>55088746
I wouldnt call it embarrassing, but in Settler's of Catan we thought the 'cannot settle only 1 space away' rule only applied to your own towns so we have played allowing you to settle adjacent to other players. Everyone in our play group seems to prefer it this way so we still allow it.
>>
>>55102410
I've seen lots of ideas for holding minis - using an old paint bottle with 'blue-tac' to hold the mini on top and then hold the bottle. I use small bits of foam-core board with the mini stuck on some looped tape. Never had to touch the mini at all, the board is light-weight, and you can turn it easily and even paint the base itself without removing the mini. I've also see people use a box that they set the minis on at eye-height while they sit and paint. Hopefully you find what works comfortably for you.
>>
>new WH fantasy card game announced
>GW is partnering with Ninja Division on it
Oh God please let it be more like SDE than Ninja All-Stars if they're gonna be the new game dev studio for GW. On the other hand, at least it's not CMoN
>>
>>55093832
> I don't get the folks that list things at obviously ludicrous prices and insist on sitting on them
Supply and demand.
>>
>>55102497
I think I'll first give the empty paint bottle a try. I appreciate the help
>>
Any real niggas up in here play Talisman on the web?
>>
Something I've been dealing with lately, so I'm trying to teach people who aren't really into board games some games that aren't too hard. Ya know, share the hobby. But I realized that when we do our first "real" game I easily could beat them so I've been holding back. Is it fine to let people win on their first game or should I just play normally?
>>
>>55101791
From what I understand all the content you make for the game can be copyrighted however mechanics behind the game can't. So in theory they could just rip your game to the bare bones and copy it that way with their own fluff. Now a patent may help prevent that but I'm not too sure.
>>
>>55103070
I just tell people they're probably going to lose their first game, and proceed to play how I normally would. In my experience, a good stomping actually draws players in, since they're now convinced they could be that amazing if they just learned the game well. E.g., when I drew my entire deck in Dominion, the reaction I got was "what the hell? How do I do that!"?
>>
>>55103170
That's a good point I didn't think about, I was too worried about them just being overwhelmed and not want to play again.
>>
>>55103041
That begs the question: "Why would you play it over the web?" I own nearly all of the expansions for the classic 2nd edition. And I'll freely admit that it's a terribly bad game design. The only reason my group even plays it once in a blue-moon is for nostalgia reasons while we get together for shits-n-giggles. I can't imagine what the attraction would be in playing it online when you can't even see your friends or share some snacks and beer.
>>
>>55103070
Depending on how many players there are, you might also consider sitting out one round, and only chime in when they have problems with rules, the text on a card or something similar.

If that's not possible, I'd say play normally.
>>
>>55103070
>"real" game
Like what?

I can pretty easily switch between playing to win and playing to have fun. My default state is the latter but if I'm playing with people who enjoy a challenge and also play to win I'm happy to go hardmode. Wouldn't want to always play that way though.

>Is it fine to let people win on their first game
>should I just play normally?
also yes.
Don't make any stupid moves but also don't minimax it.

I find explaining my strategy as I go helpful since it at once teaches them how to play and gives them ample opportunity to stop me.
>>
>>55103070
My group's pretty competitive, and I really enjoy teaching, so I tend towards sitting out the first game pretty often so it's more competitive and so I can ease the table into some of a game's less obvious strategic implications as they become relevant.
>>
>>55103070
I usually let the first game be a teaching game for my players. I won't throw the game but I'm also not going to try and crush them either. Very often I'll help them in their turn and tell them what I think the best thing for them to do would be (often to my detriment but I love that added challenge).

Aside from that, sitting out the first game and chiming in when they need help like >>55103217 and >>55103249 is another good idea
>>
>looking for new/different microgames to toss in my bag/car so I've got more options at bars, stuck waiting on clients etc
>BGG forum thread with people defining micro as small game, 2-4p, <30 minutes
>Netrunner, Race, Splendor, Citadels
I really wonder about these guys, do they carry around 2-3 deck boxes and say "it's micro, I'm not bringing four cubes of MtG with me!"
>>
>>55103070
When I teach - I'm teaching. It isn't about 'the game play I'd make' in a 'typical' game but rather about explaining options. I routinely tell new players that the first game is about learning the mechanics, and that worrying about strategic choices and winning kicks in on game number two. And you have to know your audience. Some people love to discover things on their own - teach them the basics and let them enjoy their mistakes and their learning process. Other people dislike the idea of bumbling around and making 'beginner' mistakes. When I teach these people I do present 'strategic' options and how they can play out in the long term. I may well even explain my strategy while playing and point out how players can counter other's / my strategies. The goal is to create a scenario where the new player(s) enjoy the game while learning it and want to play again. Hopefully they'll also want to improve their skill at it and help drive the game to greater levels of challenge and enjoyment.

TL:DR - Teach first when teaching, worry about winning later (once you have a group of players hooked on said game!)
>>
>>55103731
Sometimes I'll bring a deckbox with pixel tactics to play with my GF when we are between classes. The games can run longer than 30 min though.
>>
>>55103956
Yeah and I get that because I do have small games I travel with, stuff like Red7/Rhino Hero, but they're small games. Love Letter is micro, Coin Age is micro. Agricola All Creatures Big & Small while short is not a micro, that's like the guy who said Sushi Go/Party, because "it plays really fast"
>>
>>55103731
Race for the Galaxy is just a deck of 127cards. You can't get more micro than that.

(Granted, Race needs a bit of table space for comfortable play, but you can manage even on cramped tables.)
>>
>>55102362
>See also: The Tolkien Estate not suing the pants off of Terry Brooks when The Sword of Shannara came out.

God Dammit I've tried to explain that for years, I mean it's basically why I stopped reading the sword series, and everybody just looks at me as if I'm daft until I seriously started believing is imagined it. Now, here, years later on an international pipe tamping consortium you just casually throw that out as if I haven't been patently insane all these years?

Fucking hell man.
>>
>>55103731
Hanamikoji is pretty good. Idk if that's "micro" or just small though.
>>
>>55104534
>You can't get more micro than that.
Not sure if serious or just autism

>>55104561
Yeah I honestly think the lines are pretty blurred the last few years, which is making it harder to research for the tiny "micro games" instead of just small not bad travel game.

I've seen a lot of arguments in favor of For Sale, which I own and love, but I'm not sure where I'd put it. 60 cards + 30-60 cardboard coins seems more small than micro, but you could easily put it in a different box along with 2-3 other games. I kinda like the TMG definition when they were doing those PnP kickstarted micro games, but maybe just because that's an actual metric instead of just what feels micro/small
>if we can ship it to you in an envelope it's micro
>>
>>55104555
To be fair after that first incredibly shameful outing he swerved the series hard, which probably built a lot of good will with some people. But the people who don't think Sword is a flagrant LotR clone are the ones who are crazy.
>>
File: look away.gif (815KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
look away.gif
815KB, 298x298px
>7th continent finally shipped
>Live in North Louisiana
>Should be here by Friday
>Potentially so will Hurricane Harvey
>>
>>55103070
You need better players.

Also I teach predominant strategy as I teach the game to try to mitigate this, focus on this, be sure not to do that, I basically give them my best ideas on strategy. What's really funny is when one guy doesn't listen and gets stomped.

Also I prefer games where experience isn't a large factor as a new player or teacher.
>>
Going on holiday
Suggest a board game thats comfy to play on a beach.
>>
>give player aids to new players
>tell them to read it
>they dont
>mess up rules all the time
>nicely show them where the rules are on the player aid
>"this game is dumb"

Every time.
>>
>>55104663
Hanamikoji would fit into an envelope
>>
>>55103231
>playing to have fun

It's like you put real words together but it makes no sense
>>
File: go-box.png (938KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
go-box.png
938KB, 1024x578px
>>55104829
Yeah, forgot to respond to that part of your post it's really solid. Also had a lot of fun with Honshu in the past year but that one might be on the edge between small/micro.

Just found a pretty decent "go-box" while looking around, I can't stand those standard Plano boxes, but I'm always looking for an excuse to buy one of the double sided ones, maybe a good next project to customize one for dropping in the car.
>>
>>55104821
You're a bad teacher.
>>
>>55104914
That red box for 'Mr. Jack Pocket' also has Love Letter Kanai Factory in it. Or at least the princess card there.
>>
>>55104956
>same game
>other new players read the player aid
>they dont make the same mistakes
>listen to me when taught the basics
>score better points than the "this game is dumb" guy

Huh, interesting coincidence, I wonder what the variable in this equation is.
>>
File: 714uXmwzf5L._SL1274_.jpg (195KB, 1274x995px) Image search: [Google]
714uXmwzf5L._SL1274_.jpg
195KB, 1274x995px
>>55104914
Honestly I'd probably just cram a ton of card games in something like this and use the extra space for things that need tiles/tokens/dice.

More versatile, doesn't have arbitrarily sized sections that may or may not fit something with or without gaps.
>>
File: go-box 2.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
go-box 2.png
2MB, 1024x768px
>>55104983
No he's got the full game and just didn't label it, better view in the other picture from his gallery
>>
>>55103731
theonetar did a YouTube on her purse/bag micro games. It was pretty obviously sponsor bait and I don't care for micro games so I didn't really watch but you might find something there.
>>
>>55105022
I don't know either but the constant is that you're a horrible teacher.
>>
>>55105105
Great, thanks for posting.
>>
>>55105063
The problem with a quiver is they're not available everywhere and more expensive. Plano boxes are popular because they're cheap as all hell and available at every Walmart/K-Mart/Target/sporting goods store/etc. Plus I'm always looking for a way to have more stuff in a smaller space, and the quiver defeats that. Those boulders anon posted above that TCC raved about are good, but I'd rather have something like a single satin tower (maybe the 4 compartment ultra pro plastic box if I don't care about size that much) and load in 5-10 games and a poker deck.

>>55105079
Yeah I've actually played all 3 she listed, 2 are not shit (though one is just mini-Carc) and I mean even if they're only decent and not great, they're also only $3 on the BGG store, assuming you don't do a PnP yourself for free.
>>
>>55104820
Generously applying sunscreen is always a hit
>>
>>55105216
$40 on amazon, but I can understand where you're coming from.

A nice case is something I'm willing to splurge a little bit on since it's something I would plan on using for a LONG time. Plus there's other brands that have similar sizes or a more 'box like' double row case for like $10.
>>
>>55104663
>Not sure if serious or just autism
127 cards is like two decks of regular playing cards. Anything smaller than that (e.g., Love Letter) isn't a game, it's a group activity.
>>
>>55105999
Yeah, and if I was talking about something to take to cons, or on long trips where I wanted dozens of games that's one thing. Hell I've actually debated getting a quiver before because they're really so nice, but the DIY part of me wants to come up with a quicker dirtier hack. I still can't understand the people who drop $100s on those specialty game bags when you can drop half that on a cajon bag and it's even built to be a backpack. Or spend those $100s and get the rolling jewelry case, I seem to remember one of our tripfags doing that, JFH maybe?

In the past Ive just loaded Rhino Hero, a Euchre deck, and Red 7 into a cheap $1 deck box, and that works perfect, especially if it stays in the car and isn't getting tossed around in a bag. But if it's going to the bar, sooner or later someone spills beer, or nacho cheez, or picks it up with greasy pizza fingers, so they get a little nasty over time. Plastic makes this less an issue so I'm willing to drop $5-15 for a travel game box. Really wish we had a container store nearby but I'm not willing to drive 90 minutes when I can just go to 3 supermarkets that have fishing/camping sections nearby. Plus as much as I do hate Plano boxes those smaller compartments are handy if you've got a couple games that are just card decks, but also need to store counters/coins/etc.

>>55106087
>autism
Thanks for clarifying
>>
>>55106167
>container store
Shipping isn't too bad from the container store website if you're ordering numerous things. I got a photo case for storing and organizing lots of my small games. I take the whole thing to meetups usually but I can also pull out just a few cases if I'm going to travel with them.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/16-case-4-x-6-photo-storage-carrier/d?productId=11004246&q=photo%20case
>>
>>55106320
Yeah it's not bad at all, I'm just more a window shopper type; going through a store like that I'll be able to pick up something and come up with a dozen uses/rationalizations to buy it. Maybe it's a good thing it's not nearby after all
>>
>>55106167
> gets inhumanly butthurt because somebody somewhere doesn't exactly conform to your exacting, arbitrary definitions
> calls others autist
Whew lad, even iMax can't project this hard.
>>
File: bgg wars.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>55107601
Imprecise language is a problem anon, otherwise we're back to the era where pic related is the answer to "what's the best x". My only real problem is it seems like during 2014-15 "microgame" was a label applied to something played with a <20 card deck and maybe a few other components, whereas now it encompasses much more. I don't mind the shifting definition, except for that it's making good games of the earlier definition hard to research, if that's not what it means anymore.

My problem with your autism was this
>anything smaller than 127 cards is an activity not a game
Poker, Euchre, Hearts, Spades, Bridge; we had shit tons of games for decades that used a standard 52 deck. More components doesn't mean something's more of a game, if that were true Zombicide would be the greatest game ever.

I'll accept that I'm being a bit nitpicky, disregarding anything that isn't 3lbs of cardstock is just retarded
>>
>>55107769
either english is not your first language or youre a fucking idiot. either way this post is a fucking mess and your ideas will be ignored
>>
>>55107837
>>55107769
Oh Lord we're back to the TtR is a rummy/worker placement argument all over again.
>>
File: FullSet.jpg (1013KB, 1200x1953px) Image search: [Google]
FullSet.jpg
1013KB, 1200x1953px
>>
>>55108159
i was just commenting on the fact that his post makes no sense. not because of what he's saying, but because he seems to have a tenuous grasp of how to put his thoughts into words
>>
>>55108301
Oh man those are nice. Did you use a varnish on them?
>>
>>55108159
>shitposting about shitposting will fix the shitposting problem
good job, faglord

>>55108301
real nice, man. they look to have a really pulp/noir feel which really fits the theme
>>
>>55108508
>>55108754
Thank you.

I haven't varnished them, apart from the "shiny" parts which have gloss varnish.

I've played it around 5 times with no loss of paint though, just got to treat them well and store them nicely.
>>
>>55108301
Nice anon, wish I had the time to do that sort of thing. I've got an incoming sprue planet in the form of the 2nd wave of the Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter and I have serious doubts I'll get even half of it assembled, let alone painted.
>>
File: co-related games2a.png (3MB, 800x1876px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2a.png
3MB, 800x1876px
>>
File: 1485374823564.jpg (23KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485374823564.jpg
23KB, 640x640px
>what do you have against Catan, anon?
>you seem to get mildly irritated anytime it's suggested for play
>why don't you like it?
>what would you play in its stead and why?
>surely you're not just regurgitating memes you read online, right?
>>
>>55111812
>why do you like catan, anon?
>you seem to have no interest in trying new games, regardless how many are suggested for play
>why wont you branch out a bit?
>have you even tried other board games?
>surely you're not just casual, right?
>>
>>55105063

I can vouch for the Quiver. I used to use it for MTG decks and carrying that around with me but at this point I don't really play that game. Its great for cards of that size though. I keep Star realms and some other card games in there.
>>
>>55112611
>>55105063
Ok this thing looks really nice but outside of MtG when do you ever need to transport 1300+ cards? Could definitely see it as a replacement for games like Star Realms though, those boxes aren't exactly stout.
>>
>>55112784
When you want the possibility of Rhino Hero, Space Hulk, Citadels, Valley of Kings, and No Thanks, and a deck of playing cards in one box.
>>
>>55112784

I mean I originally bought it to store EDH decks which I'd double sleeve. I also know people who used them to store MTG cubes.

As of right now it fits a bunch of different card games. If im traveling and I want to play a bunch of games with buddies, vacation, going to a con, etc. its worth it. Otherwise meh.
>>
>>55112912
>Space Hulk

Those tiles fit in the quiver? Nice. That opens up a lot of stuff I hadnt considered. I mostly just do deckbuilders and stuff like arboretum. I'm going to need to rethink my quiver set up
>>
>>55112967
Makes sense, I'd consider it more of a luxury purchase for a board gamer, but quite a bit more reasonable if you were a regular Magic player.

Speaking of Space Hulk (assuming we're talking Death Angel), I did see some of the expansions on a BGG auction earlier today, they're priced high though. $40 but new in shrink
>boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/229371/lead-long-weekend-auction
>>
>>55112912
>>55113005
did the first poster mean the space hulk card game? jw cuz it would be cool if the mini game could fit in there but sounds unlikely to me (as someone who has never seen a quiver irl)
>>
>>55103731
Tiny Epic Kingdoms is alright for its size, but not a great game
Sushi Go and Love Letter (less so the new lovecraft letter game)
>>
Anyone try "Dwarves: Dig, Delve, Die" from kickstarter? Figured I'd wait for some people to do reviews of it once it was shipped before I considered it.
>>
>>55113163
care to elaborate on TEK? been looking at it a lot lately
>>
>>55113296
It's very simple and it's lacking a lot of direct conflict mechanics so it can feel less involved. At least there is less chance of a player's planned turn being thrown off so you get less analysation paralysation.

It straddles this uncomfortable line where you can feel it's trying to be a much bigger game than it really has the space to be and the pieces feel more like score trackers you are counting off on than an actual game board.
>>
>>55110894
>Fluxx
>Ghostbusters

It does say 'recommended' up at the top, right?
>>
>>55113160
I meant the card game.
>>55105063
Could you experiment with tiles for us? It's be cool to fit, say, Descent or a spess 4x in there, prolly with the minis replaced by tokens for a "travel size."
>>
>>55113394
actually kinda sounds what im lookin for, thanks anon
>>
>>55113400
To be fair Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier is pretty good, but it's also for kids and better themed as Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters.

>>55110894
Should mark Love Letter Batman with most excellent superbat. It's not listed on AEG's site anymore for sale, seems to be at the least in between print runs if not OOP for good.
>>
>>55113058
>$40 but new in shrink
That's only 160% retail, which considering it's OOP os a hell of a lot less than it could be.
The Deathwing Space Marine Pack is about 1200% retail, minimum.
>>
>>55113514
It's also not all that great considering multiple expansions are in the GeekMarket for $29.99 + ship
>>
>>55113557
Deathwing is $60, all the others are $30, unless you're referring to DW and not Spulk.
Gotta find me an unscrupulous print shop.
>>
>>55113585
>Gotta find me an unscrupulous print shop.
I feel this way about GtR all the time, and making a new copy of Dune with the not-Dune revisions. I've heard as long as you don't post it up for other people you can get a lot printed off Game Crafter without getting hassled
>>
>Buy descent 2nd ed
>Apparently they changed the quest book, cool
>Punch out the bazillion pieces
>No clue how to rebox this
Help
>>
>>55113931
Gicket to Ride?
>>
>>55114228
>c'mon son
Like you don't want your own white box edition of Glory to Rome
>>
>>55113058
While >>55113514 has a point, $40 for one expansion for Space Hulk: DA is too much for me. I'd love to get the expansions but I just don't have the money
>>
>>55114197
>what are sandwich baggies and/or plano boxes
>>
>>55114486
Most of the stuff you can fit in the insert neatly with some bags and rubber bands.
But the board pieces are now laying on top in a very messy fashion.
>>
>>55114736
ah ok. you may still be able to find a large enough plastic bag to put them in. beyond that i am no help.
>>
File: rekt.gif (479KB, 440x250px) Image search: [Google]
rekt.gif
479KB, 440x250px
>>55111812
>>55111868
#REKT
>>
>>55113400
>fluxx
if it's 4.0 then recommended
5.0 not so much

No experience with the licensed fluxx versions, but basically creepers (4.0) make it good, 5.0 is millenial milktoast. But that IS a /co/ list, which I'm guessing they care more about the licensed characters than the game play.
>>
>>55114943
>japanese girl using german suplex on stuffed animal
All three Axis powers, I see.
>>
>>55114736
>insert
found your problem

but a gallon ziplock should work, put them in, close all but a cm then pretend you're a vacuum cleaner and you'll wind up with a semi-vacuum packed bag that should keep things from sliding around.
>>
>>55115024
FFG still uses the valley style insert in all their games right? If he reverses the folds that should give extra room while allowing to keep the printed artwork in the box. They are absolute garbage though beyond keeping stuff safe from crushing in transit.
>>
>>55113514
>>55113557
The Tyranid pack is less not-worth-it than the other expacs, $30 gets you a 32-card tyranid deck, 4 hive lords, and a deathleaper.
>>
>>55115083
Ah, reversing the folds, that may work. The insert is garbage but I didn't want to throw it away.
>>
>buy forbidden stars
>separate each factions bits into ziplocks divided by cards, models, chits
>put other chits and dice into a separate bag
>put player mats, warp storms, first player token, round tracker into the big bag it comes with
>lay instructions and tiles flat on top
forbidden stars can be easily stored with just ziplock bags in the regular insert. are other ffg games that bad to store?
>>
>>55113495
Excellent point - I'll update it for next time
>>
Hi! kind of new to board games.
i am looking to buy a game to play on new year's eve(and other nights as well) with 5-8 nerdy players.
so far we've played munchkin and cards against humanity and we'd like something less wacky.
even with plenty of coffee we can't play something too complex at 2 AM and we enjoy things that hurts other players.

do you have any suggestion?

i hope i do get some replies instead of 30 posts talking about racism and jews like the last thread
>>
>>55114970
Then they should post it on /co/.

Most of those games are oop, total garbage or both. As the /bgg/, we can do better than this.
>>
>>55117611
>racism and jews
how the hell did you phrase it?

anyway what's even the point of playing a game at 2 am? just play them before
the only game you could play is Skulls maybe
>>
>>55117611
>>55117611

Finding good games that go up to 8 players is pretty tough. 6 players tends to be pretty much the "hard limit" for most games (and even that seems to be pushing it)
You COULD try some social deduction games : Spyfall is fun but can be quite cerebral, bang the dice game is the probably one of the easiest to get into : yahtzee meets werewolf, the resistance is a classic and is pretty fun, one night ultimate werewolf is fine too.
I think love letter goes up to 8 players ? Never tried it anyway.
I think those fit your criteria.

edit : I noticed that you like to play games with confrontation, my bad, sorry about that. All of those contain a bit of confrontation, but I think Bang the dice game is the closest. Shadow Hunters could do the trick too, if you can get your hands on it.
>>
>>55117611

Racism and Jews.
>>
>>55117707
thanks.
indeed i've been looking around at popular games and deckbuilding games that looks quite fun and nothing goes above 6 players and if it does reviews are warning that is fun only at less than 4 anyway
>>
Does anyone have an issue with some players turns on Steampunk Rally being really long? It gets really dumb if someone has 21 parts on their machine.
>>
>>55115488
Guess I was lucky grabbing it for 5$ from some small online store. Probably lying on their shelves since first print.
>>
>>55117707
Vanilla Love Letter goes up to 4, but the Deluxe Edition goes up to 8 and has tarot size cards.
>>55117611
I'd agree with this anon, more than 6 tends to push you into social deduction territory. Coup with the expansion, Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf would definitely fit your criteria.
>>
>>55117611
try nevermore.
superb card game, you can hurt each other, and doesn't need much focus - drafting and collecting suits and reading spell cards - that's it.
>>
>>55117611
>>55119158
oh and its a 3-6 players game
>>
>>55117611
Saboteur (ideally Saboteur 2)
Citadels with the Dark City expansion
Cosmic Encounter with expansions
Mascarade
Dixit Odyssey (not really that gamey)
I've also heard good things about Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, but I've never played it.
>>
>>55117611
Captain Sonar scales to 8. Might be the best game for a new years eve type event.
>>
>>55117611
get 7 wonders then make sure one of your friends passes out drunk before you play?

evolution: the beginning can be stretched to 8. go through the deck twice (there will be a sliver of a deck the 2nd time). it won't be a terribly serious game with that big a table but you get to eat each others creations, there's poop, and it's easy enough to play.

also the jews
>>
File: group starter games.png (3MB, 1801x2137px) Image search: [Google]
group starter games.png
3MB, 1801x2137px
>>55117611
>we enjoy hurting each other
Sorry haven't finished the schadenfreude chart yet, might have a chance to get it done later this week.

8 generally means party/bluff/negotiation games, so expect at least a little wacky. Say Anything, Telestrations, Wits & Wagers, Ca$h n Gun$, Concept (not wacky but more an activity than a game really) all are good CAH replacements.

Diamant/Incan Gold plays 8 and is a really good push your luck, the Iello edition is vastly superior to EGG copy, but it's UK only for English. The game is language independent so you can get French edition from Canada and for not shitty components and better art it's worth it imo.

You'd really be better off splitting as other anons have said, because there's lots of amazing games for smaller groups; also don't listen to all this talk about the Jews, clearly sand people are the problem
>>
>>55119816
re sans yadda
>you hurt me anon
>>
>>55111812
>I dislike how frontloaded the decision making is and how it tends to snowball or end up in a kingmaker scenario, however there are versions that fix these problems and I'm happy to play those
:-3
>>
File: how do you not see this is bait.png (372KB, 680x456px) Image search: [Google]
how do you not see this is bait.png
372KB, 680x456px
>>55119927
>we only play base catan with three anon
>is there something wrong with that?
>>
>>55119950
>Don't worry anon, there will be nothing wrong, just stay still for a second.
*smiles*
*unsheathes katana*
>>
File: purge.jpg (265KB, 1066x918px) Image search: [Google]
purge.jpg
265KB, 1066x918px
>>55119829
>you hurt me anon
Bullshit; now that time I tried to give STEEV an exorcism with a copy of Flash Point? That was hurtful, but mostly because I accidentally grabbed rubbing alcohol instead of holy water, that shit burns the eyes.

Also all this talk of specialty travel boxes and microgames, that's killing my wallet. I knew people were into traveling with games but shit I was always good with a deck of cards in the glove box, now I irrationally need 20 games in a quiver or Plano box. Now the real question is do I waste money on Flowerfall secondhand or print my own?
>>
File: 20170828_200720.jpg (148KB, 1048x1130px) Image search: [Google]
20170828_200720.jpg
148KB, 1048x1130px
>finally get my clank out
>qt3.14, milf and asian kid who literally couldn't count his skillpoints much less maths above 10
>I am 4th
>collect almost zero clank the whole game
>dragon almost never comes out so mitigating clank was pointless (consistently moved up too)
>never get a great hand draw (on top of having a weak deck)
>all decent draft cards (can you say boots?) are drafted before me every round and the replacements are 100% shit (luck)
>everybody gets in before me
>everybody snatches minor and major before I can get anywhere
>base map so pretty much 2 paths
>my deck is so weak the 3rd player grabs a monkey and the 15 artifact before I can even get 1 room away
>asian has already grabbed a medium artifact is running
>qt teleports into get 30 with her 1 tele card
>purple teleport lands on the river for her next turn
>all 3 get out easily
>I can't even get two boots out to get out of a room in the depths
>die with zero (57)
>teleporting qt wins with 97
>milf has 85
>asian has 62 but nobody checks his math so it could have been anything

frankly I'm glad I died, better than facing the embarrassment of losing so fucking pathetically.

I know my deck was weak and the only thing I can think to have done different is draft only boots, ignore clank and anything but boots on the river.

It was just first game and plenty fun despite the ass pounding. However, apart from having better luck, what can be done to mitigate starting 4th in this game?

>also for sleeve fags this is a previously untouched card halfway through the first game. I'm like wtf was I playing on sandpaper?
>>
File: file.jpg (12KB, 212x200px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
12KB, 212x200px
>>55120029
>at least no one is being forced to eat the eggs

still I mitigate this with a two pronged approach:
1. really don't care for mini games
2. have literally and absolutely zero possible situations where I would ever get to pull out any game outside of game night. there is literally a higher chance I would have some legitimate reason to pull my dick out in public. feels bad man.
>>
So i bought arkham horror lcg since my friend wanted to play (2 copies basically), please give me your opinion on this so i can know who i should vent my unamusement on if its shit.
>>
>>55104766
and ?
>>
>>55120325
Sorry to hear that anon; I don't often have a need for travel games myself but I do live in an area where we lose power a couple times a year for anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days. If it's only for a couple hours it's comfier to just go hit one of the quieter bars in the area and play some cards in a booth over lunch/dinner. I just had a bad flashback to the last time, when my brother and the wife brought Phase 10 and Exploding Kittens. Anything is better than repeating that.

>>55120252
The only deckbuilder I've played that didn't take any battle damage after a game or two was Trains, and as smooth/glossy as those are I'm not convinced it's not some form of lamination.
>>
File: schotten-totten.jpg (93KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
schotten-totten.jpg
93KB, 400x400px
Guys, is battle line very different than schotten totten? Does the special cards adds a lot to the game?

I can buy schotten for 1/3rd of battle line price hence the question.
>>
>>55120524
Any version of Schotten Totten 2004 or later should have those cards, so you're not missing anything.
>>
>>55120606
Thats true... They are even called in the description but as action cards (instead of tactics) so I neglected it. Now it's a definitive pick.

Thanks.
>>
>>55120407
Do you like packages sitting out on your porch when there's literal deluges of water pouring from the sky?
>>
has anyone actually played Twilight imperium 4th ed (who bought it at gencon)?
Any reviews/experiences?
>>
>>55121132
I haven't been able to find anything more detailed than "first impressions" responses, which are probably less useful than a working knowledge of TI3 and then reading TI4's rulebook.

Overall, I'm a pretty dissapointed by the lack of improvements from 3E, but at least they haven't butchered anything that isn't trivially easy to fix.
>>
>>55120252
>Those scratches

Yikes.

I only own two deckbuilders, Clank! And Valley of the Kings. I've sleeved Clank! because I saw a buddy's copy totally worn out after only a few plays at a local brewpub. Haven't sleeved VotK because dat linen finish.

Of course neither game has gotten playtime in my group so maybe it's a waste...

As for what to do better, I couldn't tell you as I finished dead last last game by one movement (stuck under the surface), one more and I would've won. Was using a risky high Clank! + Swagger approach.
>>
>>55119686
7 Wonders can go to 8 with Cities. They do it as four teams of two, but I don't see why you couldn't just duke it out.
>>
>>55120252
If there's nothing but trash in the pool, buy Explores and let someone else collect the trash. They're not Boots of Swiftness, but they only cost 3, and a full hand of them gets you 10 rune and 5 move, which is a hell of a lot better than you were getting.
>>
>>55088746
oh hey, I have that game in that pic!

never did get the expansion for it... and now I can only get it for an absurd amount...
>>
>>55122050
what game is it?
>>
>>55122855
Starcraft by FFG, distant ancestor of Forbidden Stars.
>>
>>55122855

Looks like FFG's Starcraft Board Game.

If you're looking for something similar snag Forbidden Stars while you can. It's also about to go out of print, but is like a spiritual successor.
>>
ABOUT GODDAMN TIME YOU LICE-RIDDEN PAKLED BROTHEL REJECTS
>>
File: HOLY FUCK.png (77KB, 444x307px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY FUCK.png
77KB, 444x307px
>>55123634
>so mad I forget the pic
>>
why does catan trigger people? is it because it's more popular than it should be?
>>
>>55123668
It's basically a dice chucker
>>
>>55123668
Probably a combo of that and bad experiences with the game. Second time I ever played was in one of Mayfair's "Big Game" events where they were trying to set a Guinness record. The way they handled that shit with bait and switch promos, trying to separate a 5yr old from his mom in a crowd of 1000 because "we don't want possibility of cheating" and just being general shitheads turned me off the game and the company. Most anons here probably just have a story about someone who was just an asshole during a game and it's not fun anymore.

>>55123813
Eh, it's not like it's Risk or a roll & move like Formula D, it's just not a great game
>>
>>55123668
Mostly what >>55123813 said. It's a game where the most important factor in how well you do is how much the dice love or hate you. If they don't like you, then you can't meaningfully participate in the game, since you don't even get pity resources unless your numbers get called. Not to mention that I've seen people get soft eliminated because they got boxed in early, meaning they're stuck taking turns while unable to actually win the game.
>>
>>55123668
For me its the people who only play catan and don't want to get out of their comfort zone, so you never can play anything else when they are around.
>>
File: DescentBoxesForCards.jpg (138KB, 950x543px) Image search: [Google]
DescentBoxesForCards.jpg
138KB, 950x543px
God dam it /bgg/

I saw you guys talking about custom made tuckboxes and I want to make some.
Can I get some tips from you guys?
What paper do you recommend?
What program do you guys use?
And most important, is it worth the time and effort?
>>
Thoughts on red dragon inn expansions? Had great fun playing it at a buddies place a few nights ago and was looking to purchase. I liked all the characters in expansion 2, but there's so many out there. What do you recommend /bgg/?
>>
File: tomboys are for loving.jpg (208KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tomboys are for loving.jpg
208KB, 600x600px
>>55124169
>paper
110lb seems to work fine for me, standard inkjet or laser printer (even better if you can use one at work)
>program
I just snag files off BGG, sometimes they're in word, sometimes adobe, make sure they're for the size paper you've got and print away.
>worth it?
Depends on the game; I wouldn't with something like Elder Sign, where having a token/card tray is more helpful, or SDE where there's only two item decks and a couple hero cards. For a game with lots of expansions, or where each player has their own cards? Sure, especially using pilfered office supplies. They're a clean organization method and they do a good job helping speed setup. Plus if the person who designed them did decent art they look a lot nicer than baggies.

>>55124232
All the expansions are more or less the same, except 4, which is nautical and has a few different mechanics that change up the gameplay. It's also the one with the best board game waifus since Twilight Snuggle
>>
>>55124169
Silhouette and silhouette studio, after a host of graphics programs. Make-the-cut is an arguably better design and cut program but by the time I get to that stage I want stupidly simple.

I use 110# paper but it's quite flimsy and I'm seeking a better solution. I might try vinyl sticker paper over thicker cardboard (not cardstock) but I haven't visited the office supply with that in mind. I also need a new box template, what I have is functional but not great.

I wonder if some design layering cardstock would be viable. One goal would be to hide the bottom tuck s.t. cards being inserted wouldn't catch.

In any case if you discover anything please share.
>>
>>55124468
>files off BGG
By files you mean cut your own, game specific templates?
>>
>>55124582
No, I mean like in the picture posted of Descent tuckboxes, if I wanted those I'd go to BGG, Descent page, files section, download and print, done. I'm lazy and there's plenty of nerds out there with better design skills than mine.
>boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82988/tuckboxes-descent-2nd-edition

>>55124520
If you're not liking 110lb, you could go with 140lb, or you could switch to cover stock. 100lb cover is like 140lb index, and 130lb cover is really thick
>>
>>55124683
where do I get 140lb cover stock in quantities less than 250 sheets though? I kind of don't want to have 249 left over sheets after finding it doesn't actually go through my printer.
>>
I'm spending the week with some grandparents out of state. Unfortunately I didn't bring any games with more than 2 players because I only anticipated playing with my brother on this trip. There is a really good game store nearby, anyone have any family games to recommend? They're all there in the head but I still want to avoid any games with a lot of reading.
>>
>>55125805
Honestly I'd start with the 100lb cover stock, since it's somewhere in between 140lb index (pretty close) and not near as heavy as 130lb cover. You can get that on amazon in 50 packs.
>amazon.com/White-Card-Stock-Heavyweight-8-5/dp/B018REFQMC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504041776&sr=8-3&keywords=100lb+cover+stock

>>55125884
For Sale, Carcassonne, Forbidden Island/Desert, Splendor, Survive if you want to murder each other
>>
>>55125957
Also while we're on the topic of paper weights, you can go by gsm as well, which is more effective when talking about index vs cover weights.
>paperpapers.com/paper-weights.html
>>
>>55125884
jamaica, camel cup, ultimate warriorz is surprisingly great for me, sheriff of nothingham
>>
>>55125884
King of Tokyo, Blokus and what >>55125957 and >>55126995 said with an emphasis on Carcassonne
>>
>>55126995
>camel cup
>cup
Sam Healey detected
>>
>>55125884
SkipBo

at 98 my grandmother could still whip all of our asses at it. it's uno tier but holds a special place in my heart.
>>
File: 1500770488927.jpg (37KB, 750x460px) Image search: [Google]
1500770488927.jpg
37KB, 750x460px
So I'm a bit new to star trek but I'm not new to bgg. I've been mulling it over for a while now and can't seem to figure something out. With each star trek game, it appears that the cardassian are the first to get an expansion. If you look at fleet captains they only did a romulan and dominion expansion, acendancy is doing ferengi and cardassians now. What I can't seem to grip are where are all the borg expansions. Isn't that the most logical first set that any star trek game should have?
>>
So in Rising Sun is there literally just 7 actions played? Meaning if you're playing with four players one person will only get to chose what to do on one of them?

That seems like a really shitty way to make a game. It looks like everyone else gets to dictate the game for you.
>>
File: file.jpg (42KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
42KB, 500x370px
>>55128508
Did you start watching in the last seasons or ST:TNG or something? Borg are the mega expansion to the 2nd Edition, with fundamental changes to the core game. You don't just throw out the biggest most exciting block busting piece from the get, you string LCG suckers along with boring shit like the cardassians and ferengi, romulan and tribbles before the big push to save an otherwise dying franchise.
>>
File: really wizkids.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
really wizkids.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>55129639
>implying the Borg aren't used for pure laugh value
This kinda shit makes the X-wing epic ships look usable
>>
>>55129639
>you string LCG suckers along with boring shit like the cardassians and ferengi, romulan and tribbles before the big push to save an otherwise dying franchise.
What? The Borg are coming out next month.
>>
>>55128941
>7 actions
So are there 7 turns and in each turn one person decides what everyone does?
>>
>>55130048
That's how it looked from some bits of gameplay I saw.

The options of what to do are a randomized stack of tiles, current player draws some off the top and then chooses one. Everyone does that action in seating order, then usually the person who picked goes last but with a bonus.
>>
>>55130254
That's...really strange
>>
>>55130254
>>55130343
https://youtu.be/RSe_P56ziW0?t=259

>"each season has 7 turns"
3 seasons and winter is scoring
>>
Does anyone else have that friend who buys a new game every other week that they will never play and takes a million shelfies and talks non-stop online about being such a huge board gamer?
>>
>>55130402
Hm, I very much misunderstood the videos I watched then.
>>
>>55130441
You have a very loose meaning for 'friend' it seems if you're willing to hang out with someone like that.

He/she/xir sounds like an asshole.
>>
>>55130441
>buys a new game every other week that they will never play
But I'm slowing down on that because I can't get any of my friends to play them

Also, taking "shelfies" is one of the stupidest things ever
>>
>>55130441
>bought 5 games this week
>thinking about another 4
In fairness the first batch were all small card games and only cost me $17, and the others are part of an auction and marked down at least 75%. Plus leftover Gencon funds clearly need to be used
>>
>>55130441
>>55130539
>>55131029
>be me
>buy 3 new games
>2 months later get to finally play the first of them

I know it's not me tho, I have no friends.
>>
>>55131076
I'm sure you've got at least one friend anon, but I get the feeling; I've gone months between getting ANY games played before, it's not fun. At least there's also game DIY projects, research on future purchases, and a place here where you can talk about the games you have played when people have questions. If things get really dire, that's what solo games, apps, and STEEV's nemesis the co-op is for.

As for buying compulsion, Chaz had a good video on it a while back that makes a lot of sense
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3x_YZo3EI8
>>
File: IMG_0526.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0526.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
>Goofing off on the 1st&Goal app
>Play a joke game where I would only rush the ball unless I only had pass cards
>Actually win a game
To hell with playing for real anymore
>>
>>55131029
That's how I always justify myself

>>55131076
>>55131219
I'm right there with you guys
>>
>>55131443
Honestly I've done best when I go random picking plays or use an odd rule (always card #4, always pass defense) but I'm pretty sure the AI catches on after 3-4 games of bullshit methods.
>>
>>55131219
Oh wow...that's pretty much me spot on
>>
>>55131541
All 4 of the ones I'm debating grabbing via auctions, are games that'd give me an excuse to get together with different family members who I'd like to see more often.

Was at the bar the other day, friend of a friend asked me about Gencon and what's the allure because he's not into gaming; and did I have anything specific I went down for. Started mentioning a few casual games, dexterity/party stuff, kids games I'd been looking at since they'd be easier to get played lately. Was halfway through talking about why I got Coconuts last year, when I realized it all boils down to the same thing.

We get games and try to get them to the table because it's a great way to interact with our friends. Movies are passive and you're not talking to each other at all. Sporting events maybe you're chatting as the action goes on. A meal/night out at a pub you're engaging a bit more, but a game you can engage for longer. When the entrees are finished you don't feel the need to get up and say "let's do this again some time soon" you can just grab another game off the shelf and keep going.
>>
>>55131623
I need to write that down so I don't forget it. What games are you watching?
>>
>>55131716
>giving up info on games for cheap
Magic 8 Ball says ask again later, like maybe Thursday night
>>
>>55131746
Didn't even think about that. I'll ask again then, I'm always curious what others are buying
>>
>>55131899
All good, normally I share when I find something good, this time I'm going full dragon hoard because I've got the disposable cash to buy.
>>
>>55132029
Do you find these actions on eBay?
>>
>>55132064
Some on ebay, some on BGG auctions, once found a copy of Flash Point Extreme Danger (the big expansion) for $8 + $2 shipping; pointed my sister towards it. I remember a copy of Puzzle Strike for $11 and free shipping, think someone in /bgg/ got it after a few of us mentioned it. I remember a lot more posting about finds a few years back but I think a lot of the auction/deal finding talk reduced because we have much faster discussion now.

The best I've seen lately though I found a day too late, the prices this woman listed for were insane Heroes of Normandie/Puzzle Strike for $10, Forbidden Island/Tsuro for $5, Gears of War for $30, Kemet for $25, C&C Ancients for $20. Sure you're paying shipping which often reduces how good a deal you can get but if you get 2-3 games at that price and bundle the shipping you're getting loads of nice deals. Think a few of em are still for sale
>boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/229171/making-room-new-games-auction-no-minimum-starting
>>
>>55132184
Holy shit those are nice, thanks buddy.

Can anyone give me a quick run down on puzzle strike? What's it about and what's the general way you play the game?
>>
I played Descent 2ed, and it lacks the feel of good dungeoncrawler (plays more like a racing game). Can you suggest me a good dungeoncrawling game?
>>
Is $40 a good price for Cry Havoc? I'm somewhat heasatant to pick it up since we already have a copy of Scythe in our group, and other than some initial interest, it doesn't see much time on the table anymore. So I'm worried that Cry Havoc would wind up with a similar fate. Also, all those components will be hell to store neatly.
>>
>>55132960
Don't bother, Cry Havoc is too euroy to be a good dudes/map game and too random to be a good eurogame.
>>
>>55132960
I second that >>55133707
The game looks marvelous but sadly it's neither of those genres and is deceiving for buyers.
>>
>>55131746
>>55131716
>decide to hunt around for oop shit on small shops
>snagged a ding/dent Space Hulk: Death Angel for $27
Heck yeah.
>>
>>55134322

27$ seems pretty steep, especially to my french eyes where the game was on clearance for years.
>>
>>55134551
The cheapest it's available for in the US is $42 and it's only going up from there.
>>
File: mint.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mint.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>55088746
mint delivery + mint works is again on kickstarter

do you think it's worth it?
>>
>>55134563

Well shit, some stores here gave it away if you ordered X amount of games, that sort of thing.
>>
Are there good dudes-on-a-map or risk like games for 8 players (or even more)? My gamegroup is huge and having an alternative to splitting would be nice.
>>
>>55134688
Twilight Imperium 3 with the first expac.
>>
>>55134632
I've seen people raving about mint works but I've never played it. I think there may be a pnp version on bgg but I've never looked
>>
>>55134697
You sick fucking bastard
>>
>>55132326
So Puzzle Strike is a bag builder (derivation of deck building) using chips instead of cubes or cards. It simulates a fighting game, players each have their own unique character with their own attacks, in addition to shared abilities, so there's a lot of replay value due to variability. It's also interesting in that the closer to death you get the harder you fight (more actions) so while it can snowball, you've always got a chance to come back against an early deficit.

Of note since it's a Sirlin game, it's been balanced and re-balanced a lot, so there are at this point 3 editions, and 3rd ed has an expandalone for it. The best component quality as I understand it are 2e + upgrade pack, but any of them are nice, and 3e is actually available.

>>55135436
Clearly he's joking, we all know TI3 is just a pick up and deliver euro game.
>>
>>55135766
I could have sworn TI3 was a co-op...
>>
>>55135849
Yeah but with betrayer mechanics so STEEV pretends it isn't
>>
File: IMG_0528.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0528.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>55131443 reporting back in. This time I only passed the ball and still smoked the AI.

Dumbass strategy: 2
Artificial intelligence:0
>>
>>55130441
No. They sound dull. Play your damn games, don't just collect them.

Seriously, I've got a pretty big library, but 90% of them have seen play, and the 10% that haven't are either things I picked up at a whim at a thrift store and just haven't gotten around to trying or things I've been given as gifts because once someone decides you're the X guy they'll give you X as a gift for every special occasion, and my X is board games.
>>
File: dogs.png (148KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
dogs.png
148KB, 500x289px
>>55135766
>>55135849
>>
>>55134688
Just imagining the downtime is making me bored
>>
>>55136072
I've made a point not to do this with my nephew. Expansions and new games seem like low hanging fruit but honestly their family didn't play any of the games I bought them for Christmas until I showed up in June and literally forced them. I got him some memeing YouTube kid's signature shirt instead.

Ah well, still my own kids to force feed games to. How old do you need to be to play TI anyway? Do they need to read or anything dumb?
>>
>>55137105
>How old do you need to be to play TI anyway?
More than two, mine keeps trying to activate systems that already have a command counter on them.
>>
>>55134632
I mean, if you like children's games, sure.
>>
File: 20170830_115334.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170830_115334.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Okay all. Just got home from deployment and this bad boy was waiting for me. Got me thinking, what is the largest or most expensive game in your all collection?
>>
>>55137540
>largest
Bisikle/Roadzters maybe
>most expensive
Including paints, SDE which got me started on that part of the hobby. Without paint? X-wing has passed it, though most of that I didn't buy myself (or spent $2 buying a single $15 ship) so it's likely still close in terms of personal dollars spent.
>>
>>55137540
Top five I have in dollar value:
Kingdom Death
Marvel Legendary (shit adds up fast if you're not watching it)
Thunderstone Advance (Complete)
Scythe Connoisseur edition
Eldritch Horror (With numerous expansions)
>>
>>55137105
Only slightly related, but what are some good games for young kids? I'm trying to get pregnant, and I don't want to be stuck in Candyland hell any longer than I have to.
>>
>>55138306
Who's got the rec list for kids? Someone made a photo listing games for the very thing you're asking.

Also, you can never be in candyland hell if you never buy candyland
>>
File: kids v2.png (2MB, 1570x1534px) Image search: [Google]
kids v2.png
2MB, 1570x1534px
>>55138306
>under 2-3
Anything. Just spent an evening with my brother last week messing with his 3 yr old daughter, whistling behind her back, she convinced herself it was squirrels since she didn't see either of us doing it. Spent the rest of the night looking in the walls/floors listening for mystery squirrels.
>2-5
Any of the HABA "My Very First" series, some mass market stuff like Pop the Pig, when they're still young the idea is more about teaching them how to take turns, follow basic rules.
>Once they understand basic rules (anywhere from 3-7)
This is where you can just start looking at basic games, and there's a LOT of good ones, with many more coming out yearly. There's a big caveat to all this though.

>DO NOT BUY KIDS GAMES FOR THE FUTURE
Seriously kids are fine with pretty much any game ever, the issue is will the adults like them, and publishers keep putting out better stuff all the time, don't buy ahead unless it's a game YOU want, you're just throwing money away, especially if the kid doesn't like it.

>>55138467
It still needs a few fixes, but I'm gonna let it be for now, will prolly get a refresh around Black Friday/Xmas along with the group and gf charts.
>>
>>55137540

Shadows of Brimstone is my most expensive, might be my biggest too

>>55137787

>Roadzters
MAH NIGGA ! This is so much fun, I have three sets, so gooood.
>>
>>55138306
The selection will change by the time your kid is old enough to play. Even once they can comprehend a game, you're gonna have to play some pretty simple stuff just to get them into the idea of games, work their way up to proper decision making.
>>
>>55138692
Grabbed a bunch off ebay when they were cheap and people unloaded all their sets and went back to PitchCar, grabbed an extra Bisikle at Gencon for $19. The goal is 6-8 sets so I can build multiple long tracks for tourneys. I don't even care about the ball quite as much as the fact the tracks are plastic and won't warp in Great Lakes humidity
>>
is there any deck building game that works *well* with more than 4 players? any that goes up to 8 players without major problems?
>>
>>55138533
Thanks so much for this. I'll keep that in mind, especially the recommendation that I wait until the kid actually exists and capable of sapience.

>>55138715
Yeah, I know. I'm just hoping for some basic decision games that we can enjoy a little. I remember my dad always played roll and moves like Grape Escape and Mousetrap with us when we were kids, and I'm not sure how he put up with it for so long.
>>
File: 51CxKY5kX2L._SY355_.jpg (26KB, 314x355px) Image search: [Google]
51CxKY5kX2L._SY355_.jpg
26KB, 314x355px
>>55139044
Yeah the chart is mostly stuff that adults can tolerate, and involve some actual decision making, but everything's good for kids.

Of note I didn't realize it's not on the current version but Chupacabra: Survive the Night. It's a simple dice chucker where you roll, attack each other capturing dice, repeat until one person has all the dice. The original edition has a really nice box with velvet inlay and everything, but Steve Jackson Games has it right now and it's $7-15 for a tube with 24 dice in it. Game isn't much, but you can play it one handed, without paying attention, and kids LOVE rolling dice. I keep a copy around when babysitting nieces/nephews because you can be sitting down with pizza/beer while they're enthralled and you've got all your attention on a movie/ballgame, or are playing an actual game with the adults. If you can ever grab a copy or two for $5 you can combine as many as you want and send kids off to a corner to roll dice for hours.
>>
Oh while we're in the midst of talking kids games, couple things about finding good deals. Check the MM clearance every month or so, they sell off the old HABA stuff regularly and some of them go for stupid cheap, got Socken Zocken (just a speed match game with wooden socks) for $3, even with the flat rate shipping (assuming I'd not gotten anything else) it's less than $10 for a game that retails at $15. If you're already making an order and you or a friend has kids, it's worth checking for an extra item to toss in the cart.

The best place to get kids games on the cheap though? Conventions; not only does HABA show up to the larger ones and drop prices over the weekend because they don't want to ship stuff back home, but any auction/consignment/trade/math trade is going to have a couple dozen kids games. People grow up, and the parents don't want all that heavy wood/chipboard sitting around so they sell em cheap. Most of those games are built sturdy so they don't fall apart until the 3rd or 4th owner.
>>
>>55137540
Kingdom Death, for sure. Second to that for single games would be TI3. Arkham Horror if you're summing all the expansions.
>>
has anyone played Rising Sun yet? Minis looked nice, theme is alright, Eric "dudes on a map" Lang is hit or miss for me.
I wasn't about to go all-in on CMON's KS to get a game that's potential garbage just because the garbage has exclusive bling.
So yeah. Input?
>>
>>55138850
none that i can think of. red dragon inn is a game where everyone has unique decks and can play up to 8. i know its not really what youre asking but just throwing it out there
>>
>>55140955
it's like if you rethemed argent: the consortium to the godfather, then removed all the interesting and meaningful interaction and put limits on things people can do just because lolwhynot. also, the theme is essentially nonexistent and for the price the artwork is lazy as all fuck.
>>
>>55141121
Godfather theme? You sure you're not talking about the Corleone game Lang just did and not Rising Sun?
>>
>>55140955
Don't bother, sell it if you have the misfortune of having backed it. It's just blood rage again.
>>
New thread
>>55142172
>>55142172

Image creator anon, I told you I'd get that bggopoly in the next thread I made, it just took a month or so
>>
>>55141274
lol youre right, totally misread the post i replied to
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.