[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, I am looking for suggestions on a fairly easy to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Hey /tg/, I am looking for suggestions on a fairly easy to use universal roleplaying system.

been interested in chaosium's basic roleplaying rules but I want to know If it's worth it or not before hand.
>>
>>55082448
GURPS is pretty good
>>
>>55082456
Isn't gurps like super complex though?
>>
File: GURPS.jpg (113KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.jpg
113KB, 960x544px
>>55082471
Yes
>>
>>55082471
No.

It's pretty simple, just remember that except in strange circumstances don't use the whole book, pick and choose what you like.
>>
>>55082448
BRP is about as basic and universal as you're gonna get while still rolling dice.
>>
>>55082448
Worth it. Good and flexible, lots of optional stuff in the book (super powers, mutations, etc) for whatever kind of game you're planning.
>>
>>55082471
It's as complex as you make it. You don't run GURPS, you run a collection of possible rules chosen from the GURPS book. Two versions of the game might be totally different in tone and mechanical weight.

Personally, I use BRP. Solid system and hundreds of games that you can use for content since they're based on BRP.
>>
>>55082448
You'll need to be more specific. Universal systems generally come down to what you're most willing to throw under the bus to get that universality. Realism? Certain tones or genres? Time and effort?
>>
File: mini 6.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
mini 6.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>55082448
>a fairly easy to use universal roleplaying system.
Ever play the old WEG D6 or Open D6 games? Mini Six is an even simpler (but still compatible) universal system!

There's also One Roll Engine (ORE) but mini six is simpler.
>>
>>55082448
the only problem i found with gming brp was that it doesn't help new dms that much in they way of balancing encounters and figuring action modifiers, but other than that it's quite easy for neewbies. I find it lends itself better for modern of futuristic sets than medieval or early bronze/iron ones for which i 'd recomend its equivalent of Mythra/RQ. A good solution overall if you like d100 and/or dont wanna spend a millenium figuring out which of the gurps books and rules to include.
>>
>>55082448
I friggin' love BRP.
I think it's intuitive enough, easy enough to grasp the mechanics, can do anything and the games which are the 'skins' like Delta Green, Runequest and stuff are all pretty cool.

There are problems, I find character generation a little more involved than it needs be, and new players need walking through because
>hurr durr why do I times five?
I think combat can be hard to balance until you work it out, but I feel like the stakes can be higher.
>>
>>55086410
Having lower HP as player characters and no "special rules" for pcs really makes it for me

Thats why i like Cthulhu so much, you really have to be careful with the things you do
>>
It's worth it. Core rules are about as simple as it gets, and you can effortlessly crunch it up to the desired level of versimilitude without it getting silly.
You also have about a gazillion BRP-derived games whose specific tweaks can be lifted into the core with minimum effort.
Downside is that BRP starts to creak as you turn up the powerlevel. As long as you stick to or around "human" level, it works swimmingly. If you try to model the Marvel-universe or D&D superheroes, BRP might see itself beat.
>>
>>55082448
BRP is a good system if you want something with not a whole lot of crunch. It's very consistent, doesn't steal much time from the actual role playing, and is easily modifiable.

GURPS is more or less the same thing but way more rules heavy. Generally I prefer BRP over it, but I have nothing much against GURPS.

Fate is like a distant cousin of these systems in that it's also generic, technically, but is really more specialized than that. What it does better is recreating the feeling of action movies or comics. Fate is, however, a terrible system for running a horror game, for example. You could argue that GURPS with all of its crunch is also not great for a horror game, and while I would agree to some extent, I'd still prefer it over Fate in such a case.

tl;dr: Go with BRP if you want a truly generic system that can run pretty much anything. Go with Fate if you want to run games that feel like Hellboy or The Avengers.
>>
>>55086853
This is the dilemma I have when I run the systems. I want to like BRP, but it doesn't do anything for me that another system doesn't do better.

GURPS and Fate fill the psuedo-realistic and high-concept niches respectively.
>>
>>55082448
I've heard mixed things about BRP, but it seems solid enough.

Cortex Plus is rather nice, though every flavor of it is molded into a specific sort of setting so you might have to do a little bit of legwork to get them to shine outside of those, depending on what you want to do.

Recently I ran Open Legend, and everybody had a pretty good time. Biggest complaints are that one of the players made a shameless Rocket Raccoon ripoff and another demanded their space ship be called Serenity. Guys, you're a good group, but please try harder.
But, the system is fun. It's a little bit like GURPS in that so long as you understand what you want out of things when designing characters or scenes it's effortless to actually execute on it. And, it lacks the finicky subsystem bloat GURPS suffers from.
>>
>>55086889
BRP fills the void in between those two, for lack of a better term, extremes. It's way more fluid than GURPS and also way more realistic than Fate.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.