[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 26

File: Hero.jpg (354KB, 930x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Hero.jpg
354KB, 930x1044px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55071817

Is having a default setting for adventures and splatbooks a good or bad thing?
>>
Give me some recommendations for 3rd-party stuff which is a least as good as the offical content (excluding UA).
>>
>>55081389
I hear 3rd party dice are pretty good.
>>
>>55081389
I use pathfinder minis sometimes, mostly for beasts tho
>>
>>55081355
Literally every campaign I've played is homebrew. Am I missing out?
>>
>>55081355

Oath of Vengeance Paladin with Sentinel + Tunnel Fighter OR Battlemaster Fighter with Sentinel + Tunnel Fighter + Polearm Master

Which is more FUN
>>
>first time DMing
>group is pretty experienced
>has amazing DMs in it
>run a 1 shot while the other DMs work on larger campaigns
>ended up lasting two sessions
>they really enjoyed it and asked me to keep running the campaign and turn it into a long term thing
>very happy that good players and amazing DMs enjoyed my first campaign
>very concerned that I won't be able to keep it as enjoyable as the 1shot was
I don't know if I should smile or cry.
>>
>>55081389
the Kobold Press monster manual stuff is pretty fun, like Tome of Beasts
>>
Is dieharddice the best place for metal dice?
>>
>>55081496

PAM cheese isn't actually fun
>>
>>55081502
just remember that there will almost always be a lull at some point, it just happens. If the highs are good and at least twice as frequent as lows, you're doing fine.
>>
>>55081496
how the hell should we know what you find more fun?
>>
>>55081584

I was tossing up, and wanted to hear which way you guys would prefer. I've never played a paladin or a fighter before.
>>
Could you make a weapon attack cantrip, ie booming blade, as an opportunity attack?
>>
>>55081609
If you have warcaster. That's explicitly part of it. Otherwise, no.
>>
>>55081609
No, but you can if you have the War Caster feat.
>>
>>55081614
Ah, thank you kindly.
>>
>>55081595
our opinion is irrelevant, what if i find weak builds more fun?
>>
>>55081620
Thank you kindly.
>>
>>55081389
Tome of beasts from kobold press
Ravenloft bestiary from DMs guild
>>
>>55081637

What if you find having spells more fun than maneuvers and actually answered the question instead of being obtuse?
>>
>>55081692
and what if someone else finds maneuvers more fun than spells? Then we're right back to where we started.
ask OBJECTIVE questions, not SUBJECTIVE
>>
>>55081502
I know you might not want to hear it, but there is always the option to tell them you really don't feel up to the challenge, or at least ask for more time to work out what happens next.
>>
>>55081496
Whatever YOU find more fun.
>>
>Paladins
>High AC
>Decent health
>Decent saving throws

How am I meant to challenge the party's Paladin when we only do 1-2 combats?
>>
> Wizard can become a dragon with True Polymorph
> Draconic Sorcerer can't

Why is this allow?
>>
>>55081772
how about by doing MORE combats?
>>
>>55081781
Because wizard chad doesn't share any of his spell bitches with the beta casters
>>
>>55081782
Kind of what I'm hoping to avoid, but that does answer my question. Maybe D&D isn't the system for me.
>>
>>55081803
>Kind of what I'm hoping to avoid,
why?
>>
>>55081772
Target his squishy allies instead
>>
>>55081772
Throw a magic user in there. Don't be afraid to intentionally counter players, if you don't they're gonna blow through fights without ever thinking tactically
>>
>>55081732

>then we're right back to where we started

That's for me to decide, since I asked the question. People ask subjective questions all the time. When I say "which one is more fun" it should very obviously be taken to mean "which one do you, the reader, think is more fun."
>>
>>55081570
I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

>>55081748
I think I can manage, it's just worrying, honestly didn't think I'd enjoy DMing so much or feel so good when they told me they had a great night.

I ended today's session with a clear objective, hunt a fleeing evil wizard down. Think I can stall them with smaller quests and town roleplay before they get stuck into the next part.

Hardest bit is gonna be thinking of more fun twists. For both sessions I had them tracking down and getting to a evil wizard who has been harassing townsfolk. All the mobs referred to him as a wizard as did prisoners.

Turns out he was just a goblin with a magic staff (given to them by evil wizard they're chasing) who dyed a potato sack blue to look like wizard robes. They enjoyed that as much as I did writing it.
>>
>>55081813
We have a larger group than usual, so combat is especially sluggish. And we're not really a dungeon delving sort of group.
>>
>>55081803
Tougher enemies. Enemies that actually use tactics instead of acting braindead, separating out individual targets. Hazardous terrain.
Don't be a little bitch.
>>
>>55081772
If you're running a low-combat game, you could benefit from using the Gritty Realism rest variant or something like it. That way, you will chip at his resources over several sessions instead of letting him and the casters unleash the full can of whoopass every single combat
>>
>>55081835
let me blow your mind right now:
One session does NOT have to equal one adventuring day.
>>
>>55081838
I've said it before and I'll say it again! Goblin phalanx! It fucking works!
>>
>>55081828
Go back to plebbit
>>
>>55081772
if you're running it in a white room, out course it's going to be shit. Get better.
>>
>>55081823
how about, instead of all this deciphering, you state what YOU find fun, then we can tell YOU which would be the better fit
>>
Is stoneskin worth a level 4 ss? would it be better balanced as a third?
Could an additional benefit make it worth a level 4 ss
>>
How do you deal with minmaxers multiclassing? Or rather discourage people from multiclassing when it is not for flavour?
I outright banned multiclassing in my game until after level 10, but now my friend is DMing and he allowed it from the start and made a house rule about warlock spell slots not working for non warlock features/spells. Now this only fixed part of the problem, the minmaxer just went for sorceror to abuse metamagics.
We tried talking to him out of multiclassing but no luck, personally i do not care as much, just find his attitude towards making characters a little annoying, but my GM seems very frustrated about this.
>>
>>55081890
Stoneskin is fine as 4th level, resistance to martial damage is pretty good, especially for casters. Are you looking at it from a ranger's perspective, because that'd probably be why you think it's so weak.
>>
>>55081972
you could start by minding your own fucking business and let others play how they want to play.
>>
Let's do a class tier list, but in terms of fun.
>>
>>55081999
>God Tier
>My favorite class

>Shit Tier
>Your favorite class
>>
>>55081972
The optimization discrepancy between low and high optimizers isn't all that wide this edition. Nothing is broken if you optimize or don't.
You lose something when you multiclass.
As long as you justify multiclassing it should be fine.
>>
>>55081355
Maps already made, can change anything you want. Been good to me.
>>
>>55081972
But yeah, be less autistic.
>>
>>55081999
>Fun tier
All classes, whatever you find fun
>>
>>55081879

I enjoyed bladelock with the UA invocations, knocking things down and hexing things, plus the extra attack invocation made combat interactive enough to be fun, and the roleplaying related to the pact was enjoyable as well.
>>
Why are you only allowed to attune to three items?
>>
>>55081972
My DM just said straight up before we all made our characters:
>Homebrew setting, Sorcerors and Warlocks don't exist
>No multi-classing before 5
>A multi-class has to be justified by in-game events
>You can tell me what you want to multi-class and i'll work in a plothook for it
>Don't expect to be able to fully optimize your characters 100%
If it's your game it's your rules, just make sure to communicate clearly what your restrictions are, and be willing to meet your players halfway on some things.
>>
>>55081972
I always did it in that the players had to describe to me how or why they're character was what they were.
For example: A person was allowed to play as a Sorcerer/Warlock because their backstory included them being abducted to the Faewild while a baby, thus impressing magic into their being.
Another player wanted to do a Sorcerer/Paladin but his only justification was that his quest for good ignited some latent power in him.
The difference is how much creativity and work goes into it. If you want the big pay off in the game, you have to work on thinking out of game too and about their character's development.
>>
>>55082068
in that case, battle master would probably be more "fun" for you.

See how easy that was?
>>
>>55081999
Bards > everything else > champion fighter
>>
>>55082073
Balance reasons
>>
>>55082087
>banning sorcerer and warlock
Your DM is autistic and a retard.
>>
>>55082073
to avoid the christmas tree effect of 3.X
>>
>>55082073
Puts a reasonable cap on magic items.
>>
>>55082109
He didn't ban them because he dislikes them mechanically, they just don't fit in his setting. No one wanted to play those classes anyway so it's not like it causes any problems for us.
>>
>>55082087
Does he realize banning multiclassing before 5th is actually going to promote powergaming? You're ensured that power spike when you get that 5th level class feature.
>>
>>55082107
What does it balance though? And why the number three?

>>55082116
Is that something along the lines of magic items on every part of your body?

Also why does it take a short rest to attune?
>>
>>55081975
would be nice to get earlier as an EK
and it sure would feel bad to get unlucky on the concentration save and waste a 4th level ss if someone hits the caster. 1 volley of arrows would probably do it
>>
>>55082163
The Rule of Three is a big part of D&D multiverse lore. Most things come in threes.
>>
What do people think of UA ranger?
>>
>>55082163
>what does it balance though
Having too many magic items makes a character overpowered.
>why does it take a short rest to attune
So you can't just pop magic items off and on like a fucking video game equipment slot.
>>
>>55082163
>Is that something along the lines of magic items on every part of your body?
Yes, "so many magic items you light up like a christmas tree"

>Also why does it take a short rest to attune?
so that players can't freely swap between powerful items as the situation calls for it.
>>
>>55082163
how many DM's even pay attention to attunement though. It's like ammo or weight, I wouldn't be bothered
>>
File: 172.gif (469KB, 512x807px) Image search: [Google]
172.gif
469KB, 512x807px
Do dragonborns display draconic behaviors based on their heritage? What would a blue half-dragon/dragonborn act like?
>>
>>55082224
Counting to 3 is pretty easy
>>
What spell is legit for Amazing Bardic Superhorse? Produce Flame and Melf Minute Meteor are Target:Self. Can I make a flaming horse?
>>
>>55082245
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>55082201
Is that really the only reason? Would it break the game to still limit it but allow more attuned items?

>>55082208
>>55082212
Yeah I get that but why a short rest? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to take longer time for stronger items (potentially a shorter time as well if it's cursed/willing to be with you) and shorter for relatively weak things?
>>
>>55082224
Speaking of ammo... What's the best way to track that shit?
>>
File: 1455072258079.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1455072258079.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
>>55081865
>>
>>55082265
>Yeah I get that but why a short rest? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to take longer time for stronger items (potentially a shorter time as well if it's cursed/willing to be with you) and shorter for relatively weak things?
because 5e only has short and long rests and having attunement take a long rest would be fucking ridiculous.

>>55082276
>Speaking of ammo... What's the best way to track that shit?
paper and pencil you fucking goober.
>>
>>55082276
Use a d20 or two and keep them on the amount of ammo you have
>>
>>55082248
yeah I guess your right
I'd still probably forget tho
>>
>>55082298
2d10 would also work for this
>>
>>55082289
Wouldn't it make sense to just have something like 'Attunement 10 minutes' in the item description? And I think some items should take a long rest to attune to.
>>
>>55082316
speaking of 2d10
who else likes the idea of using 2d10 instead of d20 for the optional bell-curve style dnd (recommended is 3d6)
>>
>>55082298
I meant as a dm but that is a good idea
>>
>>55081772
>Skill checks
>Disarm
>Grapple
>Reach
>No save spells like Darkness
>Save or suck spells like Polymorph from a Sorcerer
>Force them to run around playing nurse to the squishes
>Have your combat have stakes and a story line rather than just being WILD ENCOUNTER APPEARS
>>
>>55082336
I guess for monsters you can just have them start at like a d12 or a d6 depending on what you want them to have ammo wise, would also make it harder for your players to guess when each one is running out. Maybe even randomly roll out their ammo.
>>
>>55082323
or, instead of having to clarify for every god damn item, they can just make it a short rest.
>>
You know what you never hear about? People complaining about the bard/ the Bard player.

No one complains that it needs to get nerfed like the wizard, buffed like the Sorcerer, fixed like the Warlock, crucified like the fighter, dumped at higher levels like the rogue, draws autistic fedora like the druid or the Cleric, or needs to be avoided entirely like the monk and ranger.

Go figure that.
>>
>>55082375
Well with that logic why not make all spells last for a minute at most?
All I'm saying is that it is perfectly logical for different items to have different Attunement times.
>>
>>55082394
50% of what a bard does is help other players, so people like having one. The other 50% is fucking things silly.
>>
>>55082397
because some spells are not functional for that duration, item attunement doesn't change function by having a standardized attunement time, and as was said before, they don't want you swapping stuff shit in and out.

and if you've bothered to look, most "weak" magic items don't require attunement at all.
>>
>>55082397
5e minimizes granularity and tends to have fairly simple rules. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it in that fashion if you so choose, and you're welcome to do so, but it's done that way because it's done that way. We don't have a design document to explain the reasoning .. but it's inconsequential.
>>
>>55082434
I'm aware of these things. All I'm saying is that Attunement to me would make more sense if it had varying times associated with it.
Most artifacts for example, shouldn't just be an hour. That should be something like days of dedication. I guess I understand why they do this (for simplicity), but I have similar gripes with how long rests fully heal, restore all spell slots, etc.
>>
>>55082481
> but I have similar gripes with how long rests fully heal, restore all spell slots, etc.
do you even LIKE DnD?
>>
>>55082481
ya know they have a ruleset that makes taking a long rest next to impossible in dangerous situations.
>>
>>55082481
Then use the gritty rules.

Or use your own rules.
>>
>>55081389
Others said Tome of Beasts which is good, also in the vein of monster manuals check out Fifth Edition Foes by Frog God Games.
>>
>>55082508
I am aware and I do employ these, I was just wandering why they chose a blanket Attunement time and offered no optional rules for something I think deserves optional rules

>>55082494
Yes? It's just I don't think things should be that easy.
>>
>>55082409
You say that but holy shit does my party treat me like a rancid "hangers on"
>>
What's the most "That guy" class and race combination in 5e?
>>
>>55082564
Anon, difficulty of the game comes from how smart you play it, not how many chunks you take out of their fantasy
>>
>>55082605
Variant Human Fighter with Polearm Master or Sentinel picked
>>
>>55082605
Tiefling rogue.
>>
File: dales-marital-dance.com.gif (2MB, 320x198px) Image search: [Google]
dales-marital-dance.com.gif
2MB, 320x198px
I need a way to make a lot of fog so I can invent the nightclub. My DM is letting me craft magic items using cantrip spells that basically last forever, but the earliest fog spell I can find is first level which is going to need charges and will have a limited use/area of effect. Any mundane solutions you can think of, or a cantrip effect I'm missing?
>>
>>55082610
I think it gives a lot of time and reasoning to down time plus it adds some gravity. It slows down time so you don't get groups that go from lvl 1 to 10 in a mouth of world time. It forces them to think things through a bit more.
>>
>DM is too lazy to keep track of changing AC during combat
>constant 20 AC while using a greatsword

Bad DMs are okay sometimes.
>>
File: A true hero.jpg (72KB, 600x679px) Image search: [Google]
A true hero.jpg
72KB, 600x679px
>Rest of the group is going to be unavailable for the next 2 weeks
>DM floated the idea to me of running a 1 on 1 campaign to flesh out the backstory of my character

It's funny how I found building my character so easy and yet I find myself struggling so much to decide on names for my character's parents.

How do I avoid pitfalls for my character's story? I've tried my best to avoid:
>No family
>Unmotivated loner boy
etc. I want to try my best to make an interesting character that the other players can buy into.
>>
>>55082654
Well, as a module DM, I could never deal with it
>>
>>55082650
Why not a bunch of minor illusions of fog?
Otherwise you'll need a fog cloud machine.
>>
>>55082650
use dry ice like a normal person, it's not even hard to make
>>
>>55082719
You don't want to be using that stuff in an enclosed space man. Everyone will suffocate
>>
>>55082759
ventilation nigga, or have an open air club and keep the weather away using magic when you need to
>>
>>55082759
Jokes on you anon, it's a night club for the undead.
>>
File: 13175831148622.jpg (13KB, 207x408px) Image search: [Google]
13175831148622.jpg
13KB, 207x408px
>>55082777
Alright, you're joking, but I just remembered there's a sizable undead population in the city and they're all rich bastards. This might actually work out
>>
>>55082810
use holy water to make the fog and take out every undead in the city in one fell swoop and rob the fuck outta them
>>
>>55082823
>bringing all your bank to the club
c'mon son
the proper thing to do is to throw a big event at the club and then rob their houses while they're partying
>>
>>55082842
you can kill them and then loot their houses you ya fucking goof
>>
>>55082810
Have the specials be corpse revivers
its a legitimate drink
>>
>>55082851
If you kill them then the nightclub becomes that place where people get killed at. You'll only be able to rob one set of houses that way since nobody would ever come to your club again.
>>
>>55082851
Why play a tabletop RPG if you're just going to murder everything and everyone?
And I don't think any self-respecting DM would let it happen so easily.
>>
>>55082868
if enough people show up, you get a lot of houses to rob
>>
File: 1501394028785.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501394028785.gif
240KB, 320x320px
>>55082245
What if dragonborn looked like dragons with human skin and a human head?
>>
>>55082879
But again, that's only one group of houses. If people keep coming then that's a consistant stream of houses to rob.

You kill people once the club stops being new and the only ones showing up are regulars with nothing valuable in their house
>>
What's the name of the race of shark people?
>>
>>55082986
Sharkulas.

Their tribe is the street sharks.
>>
Does 5e have a dragonpedia yet?
>>
>>55082888

I don't know but Flesh Dragons sound badass as hell.
>>
>>55082224
Are you fucking retarded
>>
>The Chult Adventurer's League Modules have dinosaur racing
We need this book
>>
>>55082605
>>55082633
Halfling Divination wizard with Lucky feat
>>
This is a shitpost. Please reply to this shitpost and revive the thread.
>>
>>55083672
Hey
>>
>>55083702
Fuck off. No shitposting by autists.
>>
If you cause someone to flee from a fear spell, do they provoke opportunity attacks?
>>
>>55083722
No /5eg/ then
>>
>>55083735
A handy guide.
>Does them moving use their movement?
>if yes, opportunity attack is yes.
I cant think of any exceptions to this off the top of my head.
>>
newguy, about to go into a public tabletop event soon. Currently reading the ranger stuff, whats the difference between the ranger spells "Conjure Barrage/Volley" and the Hunter feature "Volley". Can I spellcast+use hunter volley in a single turn?
Also how do I make a character that revolves around hunting and cooking monsters (excluding humanoids).
>>
>>55083735
RAW, it does because they're using their movement. RAI they don't, because forced movement doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
>>
>>55083680
>>55083702
Thanks
>>
>>55083735
I believe sage advice had some mentions that all forms of forced movement don't trigger things like opportunity attacks or booming blade
>>
>>55083763
Forced movement isnt the same as using your movement due to Fear.

For example, Command provokes OA because it uses their movement, while Repelling Blast doesn't because it's a set knockback.
>>
>>55083735
The spell Fear: yes. They using their movement to move.

>>55083763
"Forced movement" includes grapples, shoves, and so on. However, fear does not count, as they still use their movement. Similarly, Dissonant Whispers provokes, because they use their reaction to move.

Some examples of what doesn't provoke is thunderwave (they're being pushed back) and Mantle of Command's psychic focus (they move without using their reaction or movement).
>>
My character died (RIP) and I'm thinking of making a Drow Wizard to finish out the campaign. Likely using Standard Array, at level 11. I'm wondering what's the best way to build it stat wise. Should I get INT to 16 and then pump dex, or try to max INT as soon as possible? Never played a caster before so I'm not really sure the best way to go about it.
>>
>>55083735
According to Crawford, it is forced movement but it does trigger attacks because they are using an action of some kind to make the move
>>
How do you balance out consumables? Do you provide them? How often do you provide them? Is it just scrolls and potions of healing or do you try to mix it up, and how?

I ask because our DM seems to really not like giving out consumables. Hopefully the next town has an alchemist. My Fighter/Rogue grappling character could really use some Enlarging potions.
>>
>>55083858
Take the price by rarity table from the DMG and halve the price for consumables. That's what I do. It's a pretty damn good money sink since 5e doesn't really have much to spend shitloads of money on anyway.
>>
>>55083812
Casters are really easy. Just max INT and then treat DEX and CON as secondary stats, spam control/disable spells and win every fight with no effort.
>>
>>55081800
>Bard can pick and choose the best spell bitches he wants from all the lists
Guess we know who the real chad is
>>
>>55083812
Max INT first, then get Dex and Con to at least 16. After that, take a feat like Warcaster or Spell Sniper, depending on your playstyle.

captcha: YOUR MEXICO
>>
Still DMing Curse of Strahd, quickly getting to the end. Party fights Strahd, kills him easily even though he hits like a truck. The body dissolves into a puddle, players figure it's just vampire shit and moves on.

They legit think he is dead at least for a while, and I need ideas on what Strahd would do to fuck with him.
>>
>>55083947
Use some of the lair actions. Close and open doors, spawn kamikaze specters, summon shadows from PCs. Strahd is willing to play the long game and attrition them out of his goddamn house.
>>
>>55082654
All I know is that if a DM told me that long rests take a week I would avoid per long rest features like the plague
>>
>>55083899
>>55083872
Getting INT to 20 would take up three ASIs. I know it's worth it, but that just seem like a lot, especially since it would delay putting points into con and mean not getting a feat at all (since our campaign is going to only about 14/15)
>>
>>55084094
As a primary caster your casting attribute is more important than anything else
>>
>>55081781
Because Wizard is still the most powerful class in 5e so that the 3.5 babbys won't throw a fit if they do play 5e
>>
Is the maps of the Curse of Strahd campaign from roll20 going to appear on the trove?
>>
>>55082888
Humanborn
>>
File: 1481924352479.jpg (32KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481924352479.jpg
32KB, 620x400px
>>55083357
>>
>>55084094
It shouldn't take 3 ASIs, it should only take two. Unless Drow don't get any bonuses to INT. In which case why would you gimp yourself like that?
>>
>>55081772
You don't. That's why they're the best class in the game.
>>
When will Xanathar's guide leak?
>>
>>55084556
probably when it releases in 3 months, genius
>>
>>55083791
To be honest I'm pretty sure I recall reading a few threads ago dissonant whisper didn't provoke.

We may have been talking about booming blades effect.
>>
>>55083762
gourmand feat from unearthed arcana
>>
>>55081389
Middle Finger of Vecna material
>>
>>55083762
>Volley Feature
Standard ranged weapon attack against every enemy within 10ft. Just regular weapon damage + DEX. Also have to make attack roll vs AC as per normal.
>Conjure Barrage
60ft cone, so different shape. DEX save instead of AC. 3d8 damage (or half) instead of weapon + DEX.
>Conjure volley
Different shape again (40ft x 20ft cylinder). 8d8 w/ DEX save again.

They have different shapes and do different amounts of damage, as well as attacking different defensive stats.
>>
What's more flavourful: Halfing beastmaster riding a ape with a lance, ape with a hand crossbow, or wolf with a lance
>>
Is Asmodeus the most powerful god in 5e?

>rules an entire plane of scheming devils
>tries to conquer the multiverse

While all the other gods just compete for the most believers in the material plane and don't even have their own plane of existence to rule.
>>
>>55084883
Nah, not really.
>>
>>55085032
>Halfing beastmaster riding a ape with a lance,
have you ever seen an ape walk? how the fuck can you ride him AND have a lance?

> ape with a hand crossbow,
see above

> wolf with a lance
ok a halfling can ride a wolf. but holding a lance? come on. it must be a very small lance. give him a ranged weapon.
>>
>>55085083
A gorilla charges on all four desu. It's not going to leisurely walk into combat.
Also lance isn't a heavy weapon, so it's perfectly fine to wield one.
>>
>>55085140
>A gorilla charges on all four desu.
I wasn't refering to how many arms and legs it uses to charge. See a video of an ape charging. It's quite difficult to stand on its back.

>Also lance isn't a heavy weapon, so it's perfectly fine to wield one.
I believe you asked what is more flavourful, not most supported by the rules.
>>
File: Guardsman.jpg (87KB, 736x1324px) Image search: [Google]
Guardsman.jpg
87KB, 736x1324px
Would you party up with a former guardsman who had a couple of clashes with bureaucracy, resigned and took up bounty hunting to continue to keep in contact with his friends on the beat and support them?
>>
>>55085357
Nah, seems like you're the type of person that doesn't like asset relocation via coercion.
>>
>>55085280
Fari enough
>>
>>55085357
My current party has a military commander who got shoved into a fancy council's adventuring team over mix ups with other people in the high levels of the city watch and military.

So either very yes, or very no, depending on what kind of clashes they were.
>>
>>55085280
IIRC, halfling have a dog riding knight order using lance as their main weapon
>>
>>55081484
Eberron
>>
My players challenged a dragon in its lair, 3 died and the others escaped after handing over all their treasure.

I think they are planning to go back for revenge. Why are players so silly? There will be no mercy this time
>>
File: 1453294061800.gif (539KB, 691x607px) Image search: [Google]
1453294061800.gif
539KB, 691x607px
>>55085773
What are you talking about anon? We're the protagonists, we have plot armour! Those guys who died? They were supporting actors.
>>
>>55085794
They really have no clue. The wizard was low on spell slots so he is planning to save them up for the dragon

Cannot wait till the dragon counterspells his lightningbolt

Surprise fucker dragon wizard
>>
File: a3hjk2wlfgw6240tyfnz.jpg (67KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
a3hjk2wlfgw6240tyfnz.jpg
67KB, 800x475px
I'm planning on making a Paladin inspired by Elric of Melnibone, and have the GM's permission to make a single magical item to use as long as it's within reason.
We're level 6 at the moment, and I really wanna get across the sort of weak and frail when deprived of his blade but a powerful force of nature with it aspect of Elric across mechanically. Obviously I won't be able to be exactly 1:1 Stormbringer and Elric, but I'd like to have my character at least inspired by it.
However, not being a mechanical wizard, I can't exactly think of how to make a Stormbringer expy, would anyone here be able to shoot some ideas at me?
>>
>>55081999
This guy isn't far wrong. >>55082102
You can have fun regardless of what's written on your character sheet, but if you want help from your class then you want a class that gives you options to react to a broad range of circumstances and engage with situations as you see fit in the moment, according to your taste. Hard to beat the dedicated social guy for spotlight time, and hard to beat Bard for versatility.

Paladin could be a good one. You're social, you're tough, you've got an in-setting role to step into as one of the good guys. You're not as good outside of combat, but you do get to put yourself in the center of combat where all the interesting stuff is happening, and you don't have to back out of the spotlight if the enemies all turn their attention to you.

Finally, the Wizard is good if you enjoy having a spellbook. You can keep messing about with your character build and your accessible spells in a way other classes can't except when levelling up. Good for people who like building and rebuilding characters.
>>
>>55085946
make a hexblade warlock instead

copy blackrazor from the book but nerf it
>>
>>55086124
Unfortunately, there's already a Hexblade in my party or I would've jumped on that in a second.
>>
File: 1476156827201.png (316KB, 366x461px) Image search: [Google]
1476156827201.png
316KB, 366x461px
>table canceled for the seventh time in a row
>>
>>55086152
it's time to let go anon
>>
>>55086152
Ask your DM if you can do one shots if the regular game gets cancelled. Unless your DM is the one cancelling
>>
> Game never reach level 7
> Never get to try fun ability like Polymorph or Illusion reality
>>
File: ScentOfSingedHair.jpg (51KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
ScentOfSingedHair.jpg
51KB, 570x428px
I am trying to recall how dwarfs keep time. I recall somewhere it stating that they lit candles that took a certain amount of time to burn, but I can not find it anywhere. I am making this up or does anyone have any idea where I could have read this?
>>
>>55086338
>DM only gives us XP after the whole chapter is done
>chapter has dozens of difficult/deadly encounters each
>DM talks slowly and fails at trying to be descriptive
>10 sessions in and we are still level 5
>none of the PCs bother talking to NPCs anymore and just meta-games to rush things
The DM doesn't seem to take a hint but still complains we are rushing things.
>>
File: mystic enemy archetypes.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
mystic enemy archetypes.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
Reposting for visibility. Give critique, make it harsh.
>>
>>55086338
My party is hitting 13 next session. It's been a long journey from level 1.
>>
I have an idea for a quest, following the classic "defeat these four bosses who are all experts in their fields".

Is there a way to organize the adventure so that it doesn't seem like we're just checking boxes or seeming railroady? I've read Elemental Evil since it has a similar progression, but the ending is very unsatisfying.

>>55086391
Candles are good for countdowns, but not good for general timekeeping (e.g. "where is the earth relative to the sun"). You'd have to make sure that all candles are started/killed at exactly the right time otherwise there would be discrepancies. You could just go with a clock/magical device for inside and a sundial for outside.
>>
>>55086391
A water clock or a big hourglass would be good for underground, once they've been synced to the day outside.
>>
I want to be a knight who can turn into a dragon at later level!

What is the best way to realize this concept? Paladin / Bard? Just Valor Bard?
>>
>>55086645
Either is fine, this is roleplay you're talking about.

Just be a dragonborn, or take a level in draconic sorcery at some point
>>
File: 1503111710943.jpg (52KB, 448x767px) Image search: [Google]
1503111710943.jpg
52KB, 448x767px
Gimme some ideas for eye-related monsters. I already have spectators, beholders, cyclops, and blind cultists, but i need more. Anything where the eye(s) is a part of the central design elements for the monster.
>>
>>55086672
Would medusa count?
>>
>>55086672
Eye golems from Tome of Beasts.
>>
>>55086391
It's called a "Candle Clock", the simplest type is just a candle that burns at a steady rate, the most advanced included mechanical parts and counterweights such that the burning of the candle allowed the movement of an arm on a display (like a mechanical clock, but with a burning candle instead of a pendulum and escapement).

You can make them smaller than water clocks, and they're slightly more mobile, at the cost of needing replacement candles, being hot and being vulnerable to wind (though some cover helps against small gusts).
>>
What fighting style would I want to go for in a Wizard-Cleric-Bard party as a melee fighter?
>>
File: 1381205307903.jpg (825KB, 2423x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1381205307903.jpg
825KB, 2423x1433px
>>55082394
>draws autistic fedora like the druid or the Cleric

Shouldn't that be wizards? Druids draw powergamers, clerics draw...who knows.
>>
>>55086672
read Volo's Guide, there's a bunch

Also, Nothics
>>
File: 1493909915405.jpg (471KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1493909915405.jpg
471KB, 1600x900px
>>55086440
The only way I see that working while having it feel "natural" is if you dedicate either an entire campaign, or else a major story arc to it. Have it play out similar to Breath of the Wild, where the party can choose to assault Hyrule Castle whenever they like, but they can take as long as they like to attempt to weaken the final boss. If you like you can incorporate a time limit if you feel like the party is getting to too high a level or something.

You are to overthrow the rule of mr. evil emperor/empress. Their rule is well established and overseen by extremely talented men and women.

The imperial spymaster controls the flow of information within the empire. Messages will be intercepted, espionage plots uncovered and thwarted, unless you find a way to neutralize the spymaster.

The head general is a master tactician and controls the empire's armies like pieces on a gameboard. He has never been defeated on an open field. As long as he commands the emperors forces a hostile takeover is doomed to failure.

The Archbishop controls the population through piety and tribute. They claim to be the physical incarnation of [Religious Figure], but whispers on the street suggest that they are actually a powerful illusionist, and the "Divine Miracles" are all a sham. Breaking the faith of the empire will be difficult, but if the peasantry see the truth it could spur a revolt.

The Minister of State oversees all affairs relating to the economy and logistics of the empire. Their expertise in this field ensures that troops are always well equipped and fed, and the imperial coffers are brimming with gold.

Any of these positions can be filled once they are vacated, but people this skilled in their respective fields do not appear very often. Removing them would make breaking the empire's grip on the land much easier. Weakening the spy network may enable information warfare, while murdering the Minister of State may mean the stormtroopers have less accurate blasters.
>>
>>55086708
If you don't especially care, take Defense and use whatever good magic weapon you find.
>>
>>55086645
That would require the spell True Polymorph, which means that you basically have to be a spellcaster fpr the whole duration of a long career and never be a knight.
>>
Should I use spell sniper to pick up Eldritch Blast on my Lore Bard?
>>
>>55086844
Valor Bard with Noble (knight) background?
>>
>>55086707
I'd say it's important enough that if your dwarves live underground to throw in a variety of local fast growing mushroom or similar that serves the purpose of colza/rapeseed oil in the setting.

I don't imagine wind is often an issue.
>>
>>55086908
It's just an okay cantrip until you get the warlock invocation that adds +cha to it.
>>
Has anyone else noticed that the Beasts castle looks almost exactly like Castle Ravenloft?

Is there a reason for this?
>>
>>55086407
>level 5
>10 sessions in
>complains
Anon, either your DM is a complete and irredeemable bore who can't hold attention to save his life or you are spoiled rotten yourself. Level 5 usually comes after 20-40 sessions - that is, at least half a year in commited play.
>>
>>55087014
lol
>>
>>55086931
It's still solid though. Of course depending on what you want there's probably better options. I might go with Produce Flame or Ray of Frost, just to add a little utility.

On the other hand, you're under no actual requirement to grab a ranged spell so if you want you can get Green Flame or Booming Blade for when in a pinch. It's not unlikely for a DM to consider this an oversight, however, and disallow it. HOWEVER however, if for some reason you have this feat, either cantrip and a reach weapon, it'll then work from ten feet away which is neat.
>>
>>55087014
On average we get a level every third session or so.
>>
File: 6f2.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
6f2.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
Excluding introductory session, our party : almost died to seasoned veteran while we burned some guy's mansion, almost died after we failed infiltrating rebel camp (one character died and I rerolled character as I didn't see how my character could stay with this party. He ran away in fear.), almost failed the task of deducing traitor in trade house, lost one more char to iron golem (my second char was one hp and one difference in die roll from dying) AND now we got abducted by elves, lost our stuff and almost died from hunger after we made a break from elves' ship during shipfight. What a fucking ride.
>>
>>55087046
That sounds about right to me if its a combat heavy campaign that uses experience
>>
>>55087190
Sounds like you need to get gud newb
actually your dm might just be an asshole, depending on if you and the party likes it or not
>>
>>55087215
He also might just not know what the hell he's doing, not able to bridge the gap between the awesome story he wants to tell and what the players can actually achieve.
>>
>>55087215
DM has some notes of hating our guts, but a)there's also our fault in things (in particular I think we're too reluctant to take risks) b)we do get some nice stuff (spending gold on training skills, some minor magic items (+2 AC bracers))
It's first campaign for majority (including DM)
>>
>>55087215
Oh and yeah, mostly we do like it. I'm a bit miffed at losing items, but other than that it's fun.
>>
How do I make a melee fighter that teleports all over the damn place during combat?
>>
>>55087300
Like Dwarf fortress fun or yay good times fun
>>
>>55087308
Coldsteele the Shadow monk, fight in the dark
>>
>>55087308
Mystic.
>>
>>55087315
Both. Trainwrecks are fun, and someone does survive the crash.
>>
>>55080580
Teleportation moves things. That's why it gets a special call out for not triggering OAs. If it didn't move things, it wouldn't need one.

>>55080922
You want the Crystal Chalice. It keeps the miasma away, but someone will have to carry it.
>>
>>55087327
Seems cool but to use it offensively and needlessly I'd need to be in darkness or cast the darkness spell

>>55087335
The Order of the Nomad seems pretty perfect for what I'm imagining (unnecessary flashy teleportation). I didn't know about the Mystic class, so thanks.
>>
Does it cost you anything to fall to the ground and lie prone?

I started running the Forge of Fury and the dungeon pretty much kicks off with the front gate guarded by 3 archers hiding behind slits in the wall so they have 3/4 cover and like 18AC. After the monk runs forward to pick the lock of the front gate they are greeted to a rope bridge with 2 more archers on the other end. Now my players were having a hard time fighting back against the archers as they were saving against spells and their AC was hard to hit with range so they were getting pelted. The monk then goes "wait I got it guys! I use my bonus action to throw myself onto the ground and be prone. Now archers have disadvantage" and so everyone followed suit as they army crawled into the fortress. This isn't really a bad thing but then once they got into a good position they just go "I use half my movement to stand up, make my ranged attack and then go back on the ground". Maybe the situation wasn't that great but it feels like I'm being rused by my players.
>>
>>55087691
No, this is a legitimate standard tactic against kiting

The drawback is that it gives the ranged attacker that much more relative mivement
>>
>>55087691

>You can drop prone without using any of your
speed. Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of movement equal to half your speed. For example, if your speed is 30 feet, you must spend 15 feet of movement to stand up. You can't stand up if you don't have enough movement left or if your speed is 0.
>>
>>55086672
Fomorians
>>
>>55087691
>I use half my movement to stand up, make my ranged attack and then go back on the ground
This is where Ready Action comes in handy, now the archers can just ready an action to shoot them when they stand up, although it does mean they can't multi-attack if they have the ability to. Also, the players are using ranged attacks, so there is no reason the archers can't go prone
>>
Any one here play adventures league?

What are you favorite ever? Mine so far are season 4, Marionette, Artifact and the Dark Lord, with honorable mention going to the Horseman.

I know quality is bipolar, but I really like picking them up and running them as one shots whenever I need spin off for my campaign
>>
>>55087951
I do, going to my session later today infact, I've had alot of fun with the season 5 stuff, apparently the group in my area is one of the few good ones
>>
>>55087014
Level 5 is just barely the end of the first tier of play. According to the DMG you're meant to reach level 4 within 5 sessions
>>
>>55088029
>tfw 3 sessions in and still level 1
>>
>>55084372
Drow get a +1 to CHA instead of INT. The next several sessions take place in a Drow city, so it makes more sense for my character to be a Drow in order to fit it into the story more seamlessly.
>>
>>55088092
Why not a svirfneblin abjurer maymay maestro with Warlock 2 and Armor of Agathys/Arcane Ward/at-will abjuration shenanigans?
>>
>>55088092
If your main stat is <14 at the start, you either go with cheese (Halfling Diviner or Mountain Dwarf Abjurer) or you go and do something else. In case you are adamant on going with a Drow, Lore Bard or Shadow Sorcerer might be a better option than any Wizard.
>>
Any tip for illusionist? Can I use silent image to create a fog or darkness?
>>
>>55088045
What are you even doing
>>
>>55087014

we're close to reaching level 5 after finishing LMoP and 5 sessions into CoS. I think we're close to finishing the 'prelude', since that's meant for level 1-5 (we're with a bigger party than intended, making XP gains much slower).
>>
Eye of Spying
A floating, invisible eye that you can control up to a certain distance and you see what it sees. The drawback is that whichever creature you see instantly knows that you are spying on him, and that you are nearby.

Y/N? I'm in need of a fun cursed item.
>>
>>55088029
Depends on where/who you play with
In AL I'll regularly hit 2nd after a single session. Hell, last session we got 625xp at the end and everyone got to 2 from 1. I have no doubt next session they'll hit 3.

In sessions that are more 'friends with beer and pretzels' yeah, leveling can be much slower. Though most games I find tend to end at 5th with that being the pinnacle of power. I don't think I've ever played a 5e game that's gone past 6th yet.

Personally I prefer the milestone system. Fuck XP. "Bard made good use of the Suggestion spell on the leader backed up by everyone's good deception/persuasions rolls and thus didn't have to murder hobo half the encounter just for XP? Great job. Everyone go to 4th."
(Though in AL I've yet to see anyone playing magic users pick any non-damage spells. Ah, one day I'll see a Wizard cast Web or a Bard actually use some of his encounter ending spells rather than just... casting thunderwave.)
>>
First time DM, how do I do DM?
DMing for 3 people, thinking about starting like level 5 or something, they don't like food/water/encumbrance.

I was thinking I could start them in a group of high level adventurers exploring an abandoned ruin that has strong magical energies coming from it, a portal opening into a world full of strange and extremely dangerous biomes and creatures, from the relatively safe world. Think stepping into Jurassic park with D&D creatures. Strange trinkets and treasures for complete nonsensical missions in dungeons. (The end would be learning that this world was created by an evil god that feast on greed, strife, and blood of mortals, he's trying to regain enough power to breech back into the first world and cause havoc to create his own realm on the mortal plain to feed on all mortals.

Sound good?
>>
>>55088286
In my AL one of the main DMs has a charachter who is a pure illusionist, we were playing Dead in Thay with him in the party and he illusioned up an angel of lathander and turned severa thayan apprentices away from the side of evil
>>
>>55088314
Do not start them higher than level 1. Those low levels are important for developing the team's identity, in terms of both roleplaying and tactics. It's also much harder to challenge them after like level 7 or 8, so you want as much time before that point to practice DMing.
>>
>>55088314
>they don't like food
What do they eat, soylent?
>>
>>55088254
That is pretty shit, at the end of LMoP you are supposed to be level 5.
>>
File: le_millenom_.png (87KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
le_millenom_.png
87KB, 400x400px
So, due to things that I'd rather not elaborate on, one of my players, a level 3 vengeance paladin, has fallen behind the rest of the party. I award levels for solving problems, so what are some small issues I can throw their way for them to work out without bogging down the rest of the party?
>>
>>55088616
Just level them up all at the same time, it prevents you from having to make up bullshit menial tasks.
>>
>>55088616
>due to things that I'd rather not elaborate on
Nigga if any of those things were his fault, it's his dumb ass fault he's behind on xp, give him fucking nothing
>>
> Be a Barbarian with Inspting Leader and Tough feat
>>
>>55088641
It isn't, and I don't use XP.

>>55088635
Not a menial task, more of a simple subplot to give them a chance to develop their character more, although these responses indicate that I shouldn't have asked for suggestions anyways.
>>
>>55088314
>how do I do DM?
Questions to ask:
-How new are your players?
-What kind of game are you hoping to run?
-What kind of game are the players hoping to play?
>>
>>55088314
>>55088445
I half agree- a big part of the game is gradual growth. You have to have a reason to jump ahead like that. I personally started my campaign at 3 just from the way Archetypes are set up, so the players could have their toys quicker. The early levels, where simple stuff can be lethal, is a magical time.
>>
I need some adventures for a group starting off at level 5. We've already played LMOP in the past so I don't want to retread that, especially at level 1 again.

Adventurers League has some good stuff, but are there any other resources I can use?
>>
>>55088758
>I shouldn't have asked for suggestions anyways
Pretty much senpai. There is no reason to have certain players higher level than others, you should always use milestone leveling and keep the party the same level.
>>
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Blood_Mage_(5e_class)

Anybody know how i could fix this? Im stuck between naking a new sorcerer sub-class or revamping this for blood magic in my mayan/aztec campaign.
>>
Best MC options for an Arcane Trickster Rogue?

Thinking about the 2 level dip into Wizard for Bladesinger, but wondering if there are other good options out there.
>>
>>55082207
It's generally good and makes Beastmaster playable
>>
>>55088716
>Inspting
>>
File: 1484594112786.jpg (138KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1484594112786.jpg
138KB, 1252x1252px
I just wanted a group of friends to play D&D on weekly basis.
>>
>>55088915
Go outside?
>>
>>55088928
>
>>
>>55084002
Haha I wouldn't pull something like that. I would simply have long rests only restore some health and some spell levels.
>>
>>55088928
>outside
I've never heard of this setting before.
>>
>>55086440
Doesn't Druidcraft tell you when the sun sets and shit?

You live in the world with divination magic, googling the time shouldn't be too hard
>>
>>55089007
No. That's Keen Mind feat.
>>
>>55089007
Druidcraft is a weather forecast. I use it every day just so the DM changes the weather up
>>
>>55087308
Horizon walker ranger
EK
Bladesinger
>>
Moon Druid with Mobile feat = 20ft move speed Giant Octopus?
>>
How do you deal with "doors" syndrome

My campaign is imensily urban, so whenever someone has to raid a mansion to save the damsel from the witch, I always seem to find myself running through the map going "uh so you walk into a foyer with 6 doors"
>>
>>55082668
think about where they're from. don't shy away from boring names. YOUR character is special, your parents may as well be average.
>>
>>55089166
Turn every situation with multiple doors into the Monty Hall problem
>>
Whatever happened to the DMsGuild trove?
>>
>>55089166
Have part of the quest being getting the floor plans ahead of time.
>>
>>55088831
First off, the link breaks without Class being capitalized.

My eyes glazed over the fluff and the spell list, it doesn't seem to make any up so whatever. Constitution as a casting stat is too good but not an unsolvable conundrum. No balance to this seems to present itself, however.

>Blood Armor
Free armor is significant, and not at all cheapened because you spent a few hit points. Not bad on it's own, but that's of course not the case.

>Blood Weapon
Significantly less significant. Just carry a goddamn normal weapon. If it weren't already part of such a ridiculous package I'd actually boost it.

>Blood Regeneration
Oh haha. Assuming the 1hp -> 1hp counts for everything this is infinitely ridiculous. Just turn every enemy and npc into health batteries. A "blood to hp" ability isn't completely unreasonable, but needs to be regulated to a small effect usable a couple times or at most a sort of spell slot driven smite effect. Easily becomes a major ability which justifies giving little else at this level. The ability to drain hp makes the damaging drawbacks of every other ability far less important.

>Boiling Blood
Reduce it to 1d6 damage if hit with no continuous effect and reduce the damage taken by onesself and this isn't actually that bad on it's own. I get the feeling this person wanted to make a Blood Knight more than a Blood Mage, however.

>A mess of blood spilling physical powers
All mostly the same as the boiling blood. Special mention for Leech for being game especially breaking and ridiculous. Seriously, cost HP once to just go on and drain half of all your damage?

And nevermind just taking a few levels of this class and going on to be some bruiser fighter or barbarian casting from HP. At least throw in some level requirements that matter.

>Siphon
Because two different abilities to drain hit points in the first few levels isn't nearly enough.

I'm not even going to continue reading.
>>
>>55088808
Starting the game at level 3 or higher is taking the most meaningful in-game choice a player can make and taking it out of the game, so that the only thing they have to go on is metagaming.

Make them earn their toys, even if it only takes three sessions or so. Things will happen to them during those three sessions that they won't expect, and the good roleplayers will let those unexpected experiences change their characters and inform their decisions.
>>
>>55089109
Changing shape changes your entire stat block. You lose the benefit of all feats, skills, and class features. The one thing you can keep is your concentration, so you can keep concentrating on a spell you cast earlier.
>>
>>55089301
Long story short, if you want to play a Blood Knight there's a few things you can be inspired by here, but none are particularly clever and you need to be careful that you aren't just draining hp all day. Or probably at all.

There is no actual Blood Magic to this Blood Mage. Not one ability to boost or alter spells spells. Nothing.

Look elsewhere for ideas.
>>
>>55088029

That sounds crazy fast to me.

The game I'm it took nearly a year to get to level 4, playing weekly.

Then again, we're doing milestone leveling, and the bar is set pretty high on what counts as a milestone.
>>
>>55089330
No you don't.
>>
>>55089330
Read Wild Shape again chump. Specific > General.
>>
>>55089330
> You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

This isn't some sissy wizard Polymorph, boy.
>>
Noodles, the polearm-wielding Bugbear Primeval Guardian Ranger
>>
>>55089166
The fact that buildings usually have interior doors is not a syndrome. You're making a problem out of literally nothing.
>>
>>55087308
1) Straight V. Human Sorc (Preferably Stone or Dragon for AC)
2) Take Misty step at 3rd
3) Burn all Spells for Sorc Points for more 2nd level slots and misty step all day
4) ????
5) PROFIT
>>
>>55089515
The syndrome is how you DM a monotonous element eficiently
>>
File: 1390006896824.jpg (136KB, 823x971px) Image search: [Google]
1390006896824.jpg
136KB, 823x971px
Ok Elegan/tg/entlemen of /5eg/, I am hoping some of you could help me with mechanical options for a Halfling Knight who rides a mastiff. I was thinking of going with the Fighter - Knight and be done with it but I was looking at Cavalier and thought it might be better mechanically even if I am not a huge fan of charge optimization.

I suppose my question is if I should go with knight or cavalier or if there are other options I hadnt thought of? I mean, its easy enough to just go with the knight background and pick something else (I had thought of just going EK or Pally for the spells). So if someone could help me through with some possible options, thatd be awesome. Even things like feats and whatnot would be appreciated.

pic almost related...apparently I didnt save the halfling on a mastiff
>>
>>55089515
>>55089689
Fixed by having some doors be open and shit so the place isn't just a static dungeon waiting to be cleared by the players. And if there's a lot of doors close to each other then the place must have a lot of rooms with potential enemies so making noise could bring them all down on them.
>>
>>55089689
You seem to have a handle on it, tell them how many doors and ask them which they pick.
>>
>>55089720
Well buddy, going paladin 6 gets you aura of protection and a magic mount, so I'm not seeing how you're not doing that

I recommend you do a level of fighter, 6 paladin, then the rest in cavalier.

By the time you're done putting in your levels in paladin, Xanathar's guide to everything will have come out, and Cavalier justo happens to be one of the confirmed subclasses in t.
>>
>>55087308
EK with Misty Step, use Swordmage cantrips and all other slot for misty step, action surge eventually lets you teleport

>>55089682
this guy does it faster but is prolly gonna be squish especially in melee
>>
File: 1390007017355.jpg (228KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
1390007017355.jpg
228KB, 730x1095px
>>55089779
Yea I forgot about the find steed spell but honestly at 25gp a pop i wasnt worried about mounts too much.

Thanks!
>>
>>55083323
Does anyone have the new AL modules?
>>
>>55089682
Take 2 levels of paladin and you will kick some ass
>>
>>55089816
No way man, go full weeb. If you're dragon you can have 18DEX at 4th with 17 base AC (13+4). Take Mirror Image as well at 3rd or 4th and you can pretende you're a ninja. Stone is actually harder since your AC relies on CON.

You do want to pretend to be a ninja with four dancing clones teleporting around every other turn with misty steps before stabbing someone in the back with a rapier saying 'psh, nothing personal, kid' right?
At 5th take Haste for 19 base AC + Shield spell. Though the d6 hitdie really sucks. Can't lie about that.
>>
I can't decide between a Sorcerer or a Wizard. Sorcerer's get fewer spells but metamagic seems to make up for it. What's the major difference between them? Why pick one over the other? Level 10, game will only last about 5 sessions.
>>
>>55089945
well, cant argue that. Im sorry kid, you gotta go full weeb now
>>
File: DnDFGF_CharacterSheets.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DnDFGF_CharacterSheets.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>open Dragon+

>they released character sheets for Minsc and other characters from the IDW comic! Neat!

>download, read Minsc sheet

>3 inspiration (inspiration does not stack)

>Minsc's Favored Enemy and Greater Favored Enemy are "anything evil" and Natural Explorer are also generalized to be ANY terrain.

What the fuck am I reading? I was fucking excited to hand this to some of my new players and I get rule breaking pre-gens? Does WotC even know the rules to their own game at this point?
>>
>>55089945
>four dancing clones
...You mean I can have my own backup dancers?
Bard multiclassing here I come.
>>
>>55089959
Subtle Spell is vital if you are running an edgy "lol so lethal" campaign where magic-users routinely get their tongues ripped out and hands bound in manacles. Otherwise, sorcerers are just there for quickend + twinned cantrips and twinned combat buffs, as their lack of spells is very much a problem past the early game.
>>
I have a sickness and am fundamentally incapable of not multiclassing. Any semi decent ones for a moon druid?
>>
>>55090015
Fuck multiclassing spellcasters, it dumps your juju real deep. You do not need to be a Bard if you merely want to be a bard.
>>
>>55090103
One level of cleric will do you wonders.

Get guidance as a cleric cantrip, and so you get to pick another druidic once, prepare cure wounds and healing word as cleric spells, you get to pick other druidic ones, cast off from wisdom and hey, if you pick Nature domain, maybe your DM will be real nice to you and let it count as a druid level for purposes of wild shapin
>>
>>55089689
Draw a map so the rooms with nothing in them don't waste time unless the players really want to search every one. In the case of a chase, you can probably hear which way they went or guess the best way to the back door based on the floor plan.
>>
>>55089959
> Sorcerer's get fewer spells but metamagic seems to make up for it.
It doesn't, unless you normally only fight once per day or are doing multiclass shenanigans to spam the attack cantrips with quicken and/or twin spell.

>What's the major difference between them?
Sorcerer gets enhance ability and a couple other spells, and favored soul gives them way better access to the cleric list than the equivalent wizard subclass.

The wizard can pretty quickly prepare more spells than the sorcerer can even know, has more spells per day because arcane recovery is a much better method for recovering spell slots than SP. Even without this wizards can cast more spells per day than sorcerers because they have the best ritual casting in the game where as long as the spell is in their book they can ritual cast it, wizards have a much bigger spell list and even their weakest subclasses are better than the equivilent sorcerer ones in both power and fun/gimmicks (outside of wild magic which will make the DM hate you)

> Why pick one over the other?
You pick sorcerer because they can be pretty excellent if you combine them with paladin and/or warlock or maybe you really, really care about getting proficency on con saves. Wizard is superior in all other aspects
>>
>>55090103
goolock 1 so you can telepathically talk to things as an animal. hex can be pretty cool for wild shape too because of multiattack shenanigans and giving people disadvantage on the poison or other kicker on your attacks
>>
>>55090248
>people disadvantage on the poison
you can't give people disadvantage on saves with hex, but you can give them against all those many, many grapple checks
>>
>>55088831
>Hit Dice: 1d12
>and martial weapons
>Saving Throws: Charisma
I'm certain there's nothing of value in this bullshit.

So ignore it completely and start from scratch. What is Blood Magic in your game world? What does it do? What's the magic behind it? Why would anyone use it? Who could use it? What does it take to learn stuff? Depending on your answers this could as well be an archetype.
>>
A player of mine is playing a goblin in curse of strahd, and I've let him run around in barovia without being chased off by a mob with pitchforks by having him reverely refferred to as the misterious term "caliban" a type of "witch spawn" monsterling of misterious origin, that is seen as just a rare, but not unheard of byproduct of a fucked up land.

But now I'm running Sunless Citadel as a spin off for that player while the others are in vacation in the same setting and I have no idea what to do with the goblin nest in there.

I mean, just make it a reskinned "caliban nest" I guess, but I kinda hate that idea.
I wanted to distinguish who is or isn't educated to the world beyond by looking at the player and knowing what the fuck is a goblin
>>
What's the point of having trapped containers if the wizard is always going to open them using Mage Hand?
>>
>>55090011
At this point he's basically a legendary character. Be glad they didn't give him his berserker rage on top.

10/10/10 on the mental stats is a bit off though.
>>
>>55090795

>Point of traps
Beats me
>wizard nonsense
Having a gifted trapster that preparing for a mage handy wizard makes a trap that triggers when the containers are removed, rather than when a latch is open steps in
>>
>>55090833

What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>55090795
What's the point of using mage hand if no containers are trapped? If he uses mage hand and triggers a trap, he is rewarded for being smart. You shouldn't remove obstacles just because players can overcome them. Make them more varied maybe.
Once our rogue thought that a doorway might be trapped and got a good roll on investigation. I had nothing there but it was a good place for a trap. I told him he found a trigger mechanism in the frame and he disarmed it, saving me the trouble of thinking of an actual trap in the event they triggered it.
>>
>>55090877
Have a trap that is triggered when the treasure is removed, rather than when the chest is opened.
>>
>>55090795
It's a character's easy solution for a visibly easy problem. Let him keep getting away with this bullshit for a while. Then in the next dungeon you introduce the magic trap that homes in on the caster with a petrify spell, which turns permanent if the trap isn't disarmed before concentration ends.
>>
Rolled 18, 3, 11, 9, 16, 15 = 72 (6d20)

Time to roll up some characters
Here's my high elf eldritch knight/bladesinger
>>
>>55090795
What's the point of rationing food when the druid's got goodberries?
>>
File: IMG_0328.jpg (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0328.jpg
51KB, 657x527px
>>55090950
Literally the only two stats I needed are bad
>>
>>55090971
only gays eat goodberries, and my rogue only trusts food/items that he steals
>>
>>55090971
Goodberry isn't a cantrip tho.
>>
>>55090975
>6d20
Anon, that's a bad idea. At least roll the actual dices.
>>
>>55091011
It's a 1st-level spell slot that you only need to cast once per day, it's not much different.
>>
>>55090975
Why are you doing this?
Shouldn't you normally roll 4d6 and drop the lowest each time, then pick what numbers go for each stat?
>>
>>55091020
>>55091089
Are you new here?
>>
>>55091131
Yes.
>>
>>55091134
It's a meme you dip
>>
>>55091134
Lurk Moar
>>
>>55090833
>>55090971
The thing about traps and rations is that they used to be more relevant (food was never THAT relevant, though) in the TSR editions.

With traps, in particular, modern skill checks make them a boring waste of time that is solved purely through RNG and which can't be made interesting without ignoring the rules. The assumption with Thief Skills was that you needed to have some idea of HOW the trap worked and exactly where its mechanism was to disable it, so there was at least one extra step before throwing dice.

Stuff like "the door was trapped, take 1d8 damage" is also the most basic, boring type of trap, and since they used to be an important source of risk (out-of-combat exploration was likely to take the bulk of a session, whereas WotC editions don't even have rules for it) it was always productive to get creative.
>>
>>55090795
Make it so the trap destroys the contents
>>
>>55090795
Just make the trap close the door behind them
>>
Rolled 5, 20, 5, 8, 1, 20 = 59 (6d20)

>>55090950
>>55090975
git gud
Valor Bard coming through
>>
New thread fellas
>>55091283
>>55091283
>>55091283
>>
>>55091287
Yeah well fuck your min/maxed rolls
>>
>>55091287
pffttttttttt
>>
Ok, was always interested in pen and paper rpgd, however never had an opportunity to play one. Have just reacently found out about D&D 5th edition starter set and bought it. In two weeks me and my friends (who also have not played any rpgs and have no prior experiences with them) are going to start an included adventure in the set and I'm going to be a DM. Does anyone have any tips for me, because as of now it looks very intimidating?
>>
Rolled 19, 10, 5, 7, 12, 5 = 58 (6d20)

>>55091287
Make way, paladin coming through.
>>
>>55081355
Does anyone have the Screen-grab with the " The only paladins in the setting are with basically capitol G "God", Judeo-christian style."

I need it please.
>>
>>55088913
He can't spell worth a fuck, but he gives a damn fine toast!
>>
>>55090671
Have the goblins scream in combat to "kill the devil-spawn!" or something similar.
Your player may or may not have a mysterious history even they don't know about, and otherwise you have no need to change the adventure. The only change is the exact reason why the goblins want to murder him, not that they will.

Basically, a "Caliban" is not a normal goblin, and he didn't know that until now because he's only met others like him.
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.