[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Haunted forest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I've never run anything haunted before but I've run plenty of normal adventures. I'm just trying to step things up a little with this encounter.

the players have to meet up with and help a group of hunters who live in these woods.

the players will be entering the edge of the forest and run into their first problem, the cart will break down and the path is obstructed. i dont know what I'm going to do with their pets/mounts maybe ill have the bridge break and separate them so i dont have to worry about the pets and dont have to worry about splitting the party that wants to stay back with them.

once in the forest I'm planning on making most of the session a bunch of descriptors, pointing out creepy things happening and focusing on making this very creepy atmosphere. but do not know if this will just get boring for them.

i think something will be hunting them in the woods and trying to split them up to take them out but not sure everything it will be doing yet.

after they kill it then the path will be revealed. What can you guys recommend here? have you run a creepy forest in the past? what are some good creepy things that won't be red herrings?

also i think about making their food supplies become rotted.

I'm sorry for my english, i try my best.
>>
my big questions would be

1. how to safely deal with their non combat animals? should they come with?
2. What are some creepy things i can do in the woods that won't be a waste of time?
3. Even more important, what troubles can i have the players deal with, such as finding wood for a fire or fighting a bugs nest attacking the food. something the players can actually DO
4. since i dont know monsters very well, what is a good monster that fits the idea of hunting its prey in a smart way.
>>
Atmosphere is far more important than the specifics of what they deal with. In myth the forests are a place where civilization can't exist, where you can't see the horizon, where things lurk in wait for you. It's not a place for humans, and you have to make them aware of that.
>>
>>55077209
having a rocks fall everyone dies (even if temporary) approach to your players pets is a dick move that might piss off your players. If your players are so afraid that they want to stay back and protect their pets I think that is a good thing. Also, just establish that whatever is haunting this wood does not care about the animals. Have the mounts and pack animals not react to the what the fuckery is going on. The familiars can help in this regard as they have no idea what the fuck their wizards are freaking out over.

Good monsters are Lycanthropes, or Wolfweres. Undead like the various types of ghosts work, especially bring back the oldschool level drain. That'll put the fear in your players.
>>
Have you watched The Brothers Grimm? It captures what's spooky about the woods pretty well.
>>
>>55078545
i have not, is it a tv show? or a movie?

>>55078508
Ah okay, so let the animals stay with them but the lurker isn't hunting them.
>>
>>55080030
It's a lot of things. Most fairy tales you have ever heard are based on their versions of folklore tales. Also a movie with Mat Damon and some other guy fighting witches in the 1700's.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.