[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5e starting group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: zdwyU2E.jpg (43KB, 425x575px) Image search: [Google]
zdwyU2E.jpg
43KB, 425x575px
So /tg/... I am once again back in the Gm seat. I have not been a Gm for about 5 years. Lats time I GM'ed anything was 3.5. I've looked up the 5e rule sett and seems not to different from 3.5. Maybe some reduction in the overall numbers. But my question is as follows.

Any thing I should watch out for when Gm'ing 5e ?
>>
>>55069239
Most UA (unearthed arcana, semi-official PDFs put out by wizards as playtest material) is good, particularly the player options. Avoid the Theurge and Lore Wizard wizard archetypes, they both serve to make the most versatile class in 5e, the wizard, even more versatile without sacrificing any power, even compared to the "best" default archetypes.

The PHB ranger is bad, even if not using ANY other UA content, steer ranger players to the US Revised Ranger.

Don't let players try and game for more skill check attempts, nothing breaks DC math harder than letting 4+ players roll that d20. The "help" feature exists for a reason, if multiple people are trying it and the action benefits from numbers, they get advantage.

Advantage and disadvantage are binary and cancelling. Any disadvantage negates any advantage and vice versa, they aren't weighted.

Spells do what they say. This may seem obvious, but i've dealt with a high percentage of former 3.pf players who try and use spells wrong. Grease is slippery, not flammable.

Concentration checks. It's a big part of how casters function in 5e, on both sides of the screen. Make sure players are rolling them every time you deal damage. I suggest some sort of colored or lit denotation of concentration, so you can always see at a glance. I use a similar system, via red/green post-its, to denote reckless attacks on a barbarian in my group.

If a player wants to play a Warlock, make sure they understand that they will be playing, essentially, a martial with caster flavor, not a wizard with beams. Most rounds will be eldritch blast.

Encounter math feels off for new DMs, remember that you are expected to run 6-8 total encounters, more if "easy" less if "deadly", in a long rest period, with 2 short rests mixed in. For many DMs that means upping the encounter rate or lengthening the rest times. If you expect 6-8 encounters in a week, set it up so that a long rest is a day off and usable once per week instead of per 24 hours.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.