/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DMing a game for a group who have never played a tabletop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: The Crossbow Steve.jpg (37KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
The Crossbow Steve.jpg
37KB, 480x380px
So, I have this group I'll be running a game for, none of which have ever seriously tried to play a tabletop in their life. We have all sat down and talked at fair length what everyone wants to try and have a pretty good idea what we are doing.

I've opted into running D&D 5e for them as its pretty quick and easy to setup and learn.

My question to you guys is this "What level should I give this group?" I'm aiming for level 5 or 6 so that they have plenty of class features to play around with and a good fair amount of HP. And I'm thinking of tossing laughable encounters at them and just slowly ramping it up as they crusade across the land.
>>
>>55069188
If they're never done a TTRPG then why not start them at one and show them all it entails? Unless they want to just skip and jump into action.

Will they really know the encounters are laughable unless they've come/understand that such things might have posed a threat at lower levels?
>>
>>55069378
I'd second this. Start them at low levels as all the options might be "overwhelming" for newbies, 5e is not that bloated in this regard but still, simpler is always better for newbies. Also 5e is a lot better at low levels and much less likely to tpk to a single goblin, or at least that's what I remember from the time I played it at it's release.

Starting easy is a dangerous move. If they know that you will start of easy so they can get the hang of it then it's fine, but honestly giving them 2 safety nets (higher level + holding back the gm bat) is not a good move. Either start them at a higher level and throw normal stuff at them (I wouldn't do this), or start them at a normal lvl 1 and go easier on them (this is what I'd do).
>>
>>55069188
>I've opted into running D&D 5e
DnD is one of the worst systems around. You might just as well start with GURPS or Rolemaster. Why don't you start with something more digest like Savage Worlds, or Barbarians of Lemuria?
>>
>>55069602

The main reason I chose D&D is because everyone in the group specifically asked me for it in particular. (They have been playing Shadow over Mystara on the Xbox Live Arcade to boot).

I have tried in the past to run GURPS and I honestly HATE the system with a passion.

As far as running another system all together, Dungeon World, or one of my Homebrew systems are always an option.
>>
>>55069534
I've once GM for a group of newbs who didn't entirely know how this all worked. They kept talking shit so I used the GM bat of a dragon that rekted the whole city.

That being said they made it a good lvl 1 encounter by encouraging the bar dudes to help the guards be eaten by the dragon, then running away.

>>55069673
Start your newbs at lvl 1. It's a silly idea to start a new person at higher lvls. They need to earn high lvl campaigns.

Also your home brew is shit don't use that.
>>
>>55069188
Start at level one. There's no point throwing them in at level five to give them a bunch of class features to play around with when they likely aren't going to be familiar with just the various basic actions and things that D&D lets players do. Once they've got a bit of a grounding in how the actual system works, then they'll be able to understand what the options are and what they do.

Don't throw laughable encounters at them, but be willing to dial things back a little if it looks like they're struggling with it. Explain how things work, learn when to step in and suggest courses of actions when players are unsure, that sort of thing.
>>
>>55069673
You can play D&D without playing 5e. Start with The Black Hack, or any other OSR.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.