[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM tips 101

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: melt the sins out.jpg (93KB, 876x584px) Image search: [Google]
melt the sins out.jpg
93KB, 876x584px
When a player keeps using an ability or item over and over and genuinely enjoy the results set up the next dozen or sessions or so to render that ineffective or better yet remove the characters ability to do the action. This is good story telling as it shows the character isn't based around one aspect and that they can overcome obstacles in other ways.
>>
If you make a mistake, just patch over it with a retcon or justification and blame the players if it upsets the narrative. It's their fault they didn't do things as you planned.
>>
If the players kill your main bad guy too quickly, just fudge some dice and make up some sort of magic protection that protects him from that specific attack to pad out the fight.
>>
>>55049186
Personalty I prefer the evil body double it gives that great narrative faux success that is great in movies before the shit gets real.
>>
>>55048367

1. Every bit effort from your players to gather intel should be rewarded with at least a hint. "You found nothing" is rarely a hint.

2. Make the hints you give your players more on the obvious side. Often GM make the hints they give to their players too subliminal because they know the whole picture.

3. If possible try to build the PCs with your players. This way you can build in parts of these characters into your campaign and put some personal weight into it. If you know what personal goals the PC has, you know how to manipulate him into something you want him to do or even better into something the group really doesn't want him to do.

4. Tension between the group makes games exciting. Arguments between the players forces them to roleplay.

>>55049186
>>55049302

One move I learned some years ago, is to just let him reappear out of nothing without any hint that he could be alive. This not only mindfucks your players but also gives them a mystery to solve. Sadly you can only really use this move once every playgroup.
>>
>>55048367
Constantly have your players roll needless checks. It'll make them paranoid and players love being paranoid.
>>
>>55048367
Rub your scrotum on the snack so that way when a player corrects you in any way you can say "Yeah well, I rubbed my scrotum on the snacks! So that means you're eating scrotum! You gay fag!"
>>
Just because you got stuck GMing doesn't mean you have to give up playing, you can still make a character and slot them into the party. Of course, the PCs probably won't think to let some random NPC tag along with them, so it's a good idea to make your character vital to the story. It's also helpful to make your character extremely powerful, more powerful than any of the PCs, to ensure that he doesn't get left behind. Additionally, having a really strong member in the party will allow you to throw stronger enemies at the party earlier on- making for more interesting encounters. The players will appreciate the extra help and you'll still get to have fun, there's really no reason you shouldn't do it.
>>
>>55049855
I think you may have missed the point of this thread
>>
File: 1462247443968.gif (458KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1462247443968.gif
458KB, 500x282px
>>55051471
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaGZxWrflU

Matter of perspective, you smarmy bitch.
>>
>>55051548
Found the shitty GM.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.