[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

How do you make a cynical character likable?
>>
>>55046229
By having him not be a complete asshole about it. By not going out of his way to kill the optimism of those around him.
>>
>>55046229
The Hound is a good example in my opinion.
>>
>>55046277
I always find that there are certain players that always pull of cynical arseholes easier than others.

Had a game of shadowrun once were the cynical arsehole was literally an EX-Merc. Like nothing special about him, just an EX-merc that did his job. He rped him pretty well, to the point were he was the only competent character in our party. Everyone else could outshine him combat on paper, but he was just smarter and more concise about it all.
>>
Rick from Casablanca.
>>
>>55047103
This
>>
>>55046229
Really op just >>55046277 is right.
I also sort of like -that wizard English guy from DC who is always smoking- he is cynical, but his life is shit and nothing gos right.

Cynical edgy who have stuff are crap. Shoot I even hate the nerds who live at home, dont pay rent, dont work, are reading this right now, yes you, you fucking loser and make jokes about people who believe in god.

I think a good cynical character is someone who thinks everything is shit. Even themselfs.
>>
>>55046229
humor. trash talk someone and someone else will like it. just like irl
>>
>>55046343
Most of my characters can handle business with a few CS grenades and a suppressed pistol. Drives the guys with .01 essence batshit.

Anyway, I think the important thing to making a likeable cynic is to not lose your sense of humor. John Constantine is a great example; no faith in his fellow man, but he's always got a wisecrack.
The other thing to keep in mind is that a cynic isn't pessimistic, per se. They just see society and its expectations of people as being constructed, and value the hard truth over a polite lie.
I think Churchill had the right of it. A lady once said to him "Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!" Churchill replied "If you were my wife, I would drink it."
>>
>>55046229
Give him likable qualities besides their cynicism? This isn't difficult, OP
>>
>>55047557
Whew that comment was a ride. You okay there buddy? Wanna keep thing on track here?
>>
>>55046229
In my experience a character basically needs to things in order to be likeable:
>understandable goals (i.e. everyone at the table 'gets' why someone would want that)
>admirlbe traits (i.e. qualities everyone at the table either thinks they have or wish they did)
This makes it possible to both empathise with and admire them and, once you're doing that, you're well on your way to rooting for them, even if they have other negative traits.
>>
>>55046229
Likeable for the other characters or likeable for the other players?
I've once played a cleric of Cynicism. He was powered by his bitterness towards everything (and gods most of all), and a real jerk to everybody else. Yet he was over the top enough that it became funny. That and he was actually very useful to the group.
>>
>>55046229
By making him always right. So basically he has a very subtle form of PROPHECY.

No matter how much the party hates his personality. They always keep him around so they can brace themselves for the oncoming shitstorm of the century.
>>
>>55046229

Giving the character a quality that clashes with cynicism might work. Like, cynical in the sheets, benevolent in the streets. Or give a cynic a martyr complex or a massive hard-on for self-sacrifice. I think it'd be at least funny, if you can pull it off.
>>
>>55047103
>Rick
>Not Renault
>>
>>55053565
This
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.