[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long before the real villains of MTG return?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 35

File: phyrexia.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
phyrexia.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
How long before the real villains of MTG return?
>>
>>55041301
Too fucking soon, but given how fast they're 'returning' to places - probably next set.
>>
>>55041301
After Dominaria, probably. Ajani will find Karn and talk about how Phyrexian are the real threat.
>>
>>55041301
Probably during/after Dominaria, given the plane's previous run in with them.

Not that I'm looking forward to it, since they'll just fuck it all up
>>
But what about Bolas' master plan? I'd like to see that resolve. Instead we're jumping straight into pirate dinosaurs.

Return to Tarkir when?
>>
>>55041301
Someone has to revive Elspeth first, so presumably after return to Theros.
>>
File: 39031.jpg (23KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
39031.jpg
23KB, 200x285px
Hopefully never because they'll villain decay so hard you'll be feeling the psychic echoes of disappointment ripple across space-time five sets in advance of their reveal.
>>
>>55041301
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand I fucking hate phyrexiafags and don't want them to have anything but on the other it might be worth the insufferable hype period to drink the delicious tears when wizards invariably fucks it up
>>
File: EN_Tibalt_Header.jpg (323KB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
EN_Tibalt_Header.jpg
323KB, 1920x1120px
Better question. How long until best boy makes his return?
>>
>>55047353
>Can't exile creatures
>>
>>55047353
Speaking of, where was he during Shadows/Eldritch?
>>
>>55041301
Probably soon

The set will probably suck (like every return to X set has recently)
>>
>>55041301
right after dominaria
>>
>>55041301
probably right after dominaria, magic is going for nostalgic shit right now. its going to really suck because there will be no worthwhile cards since wizards new policy is make shitty stuff no one can use in eternal formats
>>
>>55048609
shadows block was such a disappointment. made me decide to stop buying new sets
>>
File: Nicol-Bolas-Horns.jpg (1MB, 669x975px) Image search: [Google]
Nicol-Bolas-Horns.jpg
1MB, 669x975px
>>55041301
But anon we just saw them.
>>
File: 1496536505019.jpg (35KB, 341x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496536505019.jpg
35KB, 341x600px
>Phyrexian mana will never return
>they'll just make other shitty mechanics
>>
hopefully never, WotC is just going to fuck it up
>>
File: 702_thunderingtanadon.jpg (139KB, 620x468px) Image search: [Google]
702_thunderingtanadon.jpg
139KB, 620x468px
>>55048725
I think you mean
>phyrexian mana will be nerfed to the level of scars block commons across the board
>>
>>55047969
Being reamed up and down by some eldrazi who decided to teach him the meaning of pain
>>
>>55048870
or
Tibalt finds a new fetish
or
how a dom becomes a sub
>>
>>55048870
Really? I know he's from there, but I wouldn't have placed Tibalt as someone who cares enough about Innistrad to not just fuck off to another plane when things go reality-disruptingly badly.
>>
>>55041301
>Villains

You mean blessed perfection? Hopefully soon.
>>
>>55050893
He revels in death and destruction, especially if Innistrad is in peril. He'd have a field day watching the angels go mad and the eldrazi fucking shit up.
>>
I just want to see the phyrexian eldrazi slivers meme become reality
>>
>All the loose plot threads that have yet to be answered.
Why Wizards?
>>
>>55048725
>>55048804
Both of you shut the fuck up and stop making me sad. At least I still have Vault Skirge.

>>55048638
You know, Dominaria: Homecoming having a few references or reprints (All it does from dawn til dusk is make the soldier die) would be a good lead in to either a reemergence on another plane or a look back at New Phyrexia politics. Phyrexian holdouts that have been in hiding for 100 years somewhere, or a plane that has been at war with Phyrexian occupants since long ago. Sleepers were everywhere man.
>>
>>55041301
Never, Yawgmoth is dead.

Unless you're referring to nuPhyrexians, who have nothing in common with real Phyrexians and are just dumb phazon mutants.
>>
>>55050893

That's actually what happens.

... I think.
>>
>>55047353
I don't understand why they don't just make RB Tibalt with +1 Phyrexian Arena.

Between two unbalanced things, it creates a balanced, standard printable and viable one.

Why wasn't he RB anyway, his deck in Duel Decks: Batman vs. Joker was RB.
>>
>>55051523
Well the last we see of him is the duel deck against Sorin. I doubt challenging an oldwalker, especially Sorin, ended well for him.
>>
>>55052259
>Sorin
>an oldwalker

I know canonically he was around for the pre-nerf spark but the fact that he's a shitty nuMagic character really triggers me using that term with him. Fug.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>55041301
True Phyrexia was the true villain of magic for a long time, until they were defeated. New Phyrexia has little to nothing to do with them, and is at best A significant villain.

>>55043387
>Probably during/after Dominaria, given the plane's previous run in with them.
But Dominaria did not have a run in with the faction that's called Phyrexia right now, and is represented with the symbol in OP's pic. Dominaria had an invasion from a completely different and unrelated faction, and really the only thing True Phyrexia and new phyrexia share in common is a name.

That'd be like some immortal English knight who had some trouble when he ran into a powerful death-cult in Yorkshire deciding that he needed to invade New York because "they are the real threat, just look at the name"

That's just silly.
>>
>>55041301
I'm torn between saying "not soon enough" and "hopefully never". I haven't touched MtG since Scars/New Phyrexia rotated out of standard and my wallet is thankful for it, but I do miss the Perfection.
>>
>>55043826
Not soon enough my man. I sincerely hope that the plane finds some kind of equilibrium between it's first timeline and second timeline selves
>>
File: phyrexian scuta.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
phyrexian scuta.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>55052399
>But Dominaria did not have a run in with the faction that's called Phyrexia right now, and is represented with the symbol in OP's pic.
Didn't old Phyrexia use the phi symbol first? I seem to see it at least on the forehead of Phyrexian Scuta, here.
>>
>>55052723
Yeah, he's wrong about that. He's right about nuPhyrexia having nothing to do with the real Phyrexia, and just being a shitty marketing gimmick for one of the worst-conceived storylines in Magic history, but he is wrong about them being the first to use the Phi character. To be fair I don't think Phyrexia used the janky squiggly version in the OP though.
>>
>>55052675
Naw, keep it with Never. The Eldrazi serve the exact same function in the narrative and Dominaria's triumph over the original phyrexians has been unwritten enough between Scrouge, Mirrodin and especially New Phyrexia.
>>
>>55052863
Still waiting on the repercussions from killing titans, Ugin. You said there would be repercussions.
>>
>>55052863
>The Eldrazi serve the exact same function
Well, the same but worse, I guess. As far as horrors go the Eldrazi are some of the blandest elder god types ever conceived.
>>
>>55052861
Well, nuPhyrexia is ultimately sourced from the oil that leaked from Xantcha's Phyrexian heartstone, so that kinda counts as "something to do with the real Phyrexia." But eh. I like New Phyrexia, personally, particularly how Phyrexia was warped by exposure to different colors of mana.
>>
>>55052914
The repercussion is that there's no more Titans to recycle the dying planes into new ones
A plane collapsing will probably cause a lot of problems in the Blind Eternities
Do you remember the last dying plane we saw? Amonkhet. And it is already decaying
>>
>>55052967
And those three are the only titans that we know of. Eventually a titan or Emmy will have to show up. Along with Nicky B and his eternals. What's the next step in his plan? Will he and Ugin ever have another grand battle?
>>
>>55052399
>True Phyrexia was the true villain of magic for a long time, until they were defeated. New Phyrexia has little to nothing to do with them, and is at best A significant villain.

That's your interpretation, but that's not how WotC is handling them. New Phyrexia is only the name of the plane. The inhabitants of New Phyrexia are "Phyrexians", not "New Phyrexians". We didn't get "New Phyrexian Crusader" or "New Phyrexian Obliterator", so it's a different story from New Yorkers.
>>
>>55052861
>a shitty marketing gimmick for one of the worst-conceived storylines in Magic history

That's some real bad taste you've got their, friendo.
>>
>>55053014
>What's the next step in his plan?
We don't know Da B ultimate goal but we do know what he currently needs: his pre-Mending power.
Now, that we know Amonkhet was not there to get him power but rather an army and that Kaladesh was there to create planar portals
Once Ral Zarek will have repaired the portal, Da B will probably use it to invade another plane, starting with Kaladesh, where the portal is
What will his next target be? Dominaria? It will surely be a plane that he can use to get power
>>
>>55053058
Have you actually read Quest for Karn?
>>
>>55053088
People actually read the novels?
>>
>>55053088
That's a problem of a shitty author telling a story badly, rather than a bad story.
>>
>>55052939
I suppose "exact same" is a bit of an overreach. Wizards needs to nut up and ruin some other beloved plane to give these fucks their teeth.

They should also have some design decisions (not allowing players to summon the titans, for example) to make them feel more powerful. Imagine how less powerful Yawgmoth or Urza would have felt if you could knock them with a path to exile or a ping from prodigal sorcerer.
>>
>>55053180
Oh yes, young one. Once upon a time the fluff was the best thing about Magic. I understand it's hard to imagine given the last dozen years worth of content.

>>55053185
It can be two things. Indeed, it was both a bad idea and badly executed.
>>
>>55053213
>it was both a bad idea and badly executed.

Nah. Phyrexia having the ability to corrupt things just from the oil was established canon. With survivability to that extent, it's a natural follow-through for them to return. Not to mention the fact it made it relevant that Xantcha's heartstone was used for Karn. It tied together a bunch of literary elements and foreshadowing.

Don't forget, they created Mirrodin to become New Phyrexia. It was planned that far back.
>>
>>55053204
>They should also have some design decisions (not allowing players to summon the titans, for example) to make them feel more powerful.

Nah, being able to summon the Titans is fine. Remember, the true forms of the Eldrazi weren't the Titans, the Titans were just the biggest pieces of the Eldrazi on this side of the Blind Eternities. When you summon Ulamog, Ceaseless Hunger, you're basically summoning the true Ulamog's right hand.

Not to mention, Emrakul 1.0 is easily one of the most powerful creature cards of all time. Being able to show off the power of the Eldrazi mechanically does a lot for giving that power weight to the average player. If Emrakul were this faceless thing that only gets alluded to in flavor text, it provides a lot less oomph than Emrakul showing up and ruining your life in an actual game.
>>
>>55041301
Urza and Mishra are dead, though.
>>
>>55053259
>Nah. Phyrexia having the ability to corrupt things just from the oil was established canon.

Incorrect. The Glistening Oil drove Memnarch mad. Memnarch was a pure machine, there was no precedent for it to affect organics, even organic metal- and indeed Karn was drenched in the stuff long before he was a Planeswalker, so if it was going to corrupt him it should have done it then. Furthermore, it didn't turn Memnarch into a dumb looking mutant, it just made him crazy. It was a badly-hamfisted and ultimately unnecessary method of reviving a threat that wasn't truly dead, and that had planar travel. Nothing was foreshadowed, simply retconned.

Even if it was planned exactly as you said it was, right down to Glistening Oil always being Phazon, it was still badly done. Having Slobad die on the way to his home planet and Glissa randomly turn into a mutant just so the editorially mandated nuwalker heroes can save the day was extremely tasteless, and killing main characters in a footnote is never good writing. Ultimately, the big bad bosses of the five colors (each a violation of what Phyrexia is in the first place, and each the blandest interpretation of "this color but evil" possible) ultimately proved completely pointless. Urabrask's thing of maybe being a good guy went nowhere.

Now please, answer the question. Did you or did you not read Quest for Karn?
>>
>>55041301
Probably soon-ish.

I never want it to happen though. I really like Phyrexia and I don't want Wizards to fuck it up.

>Jace and co. unite to stop Phyrexia once and for all, over the course of one set!
>>
File: 33[1].jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
33[1].jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>55053377
>Incorrect. The Glistening Oil drove Memnarch mad. Memnarch was a pure machine
Memnarch is not a pure machine.

>there was no precedent for it to affect organics, even organic metal-
The Phyrexian Mask symbol is a stylized depiction of Glistening Oil pouring from a corrupted individual's eyes. We've seen organic beings corrupted in this fashion before, and they made a special note to depict it again during Time Spiral block.

>Urabrask's thing of maybe being a good guy went nowhere.
So far. You think every loose end needs to be tied up the second it's revealed?

I'll admit Glissa and Slobad were poorly handled, but that's not directly related to the idea of reviving Phyrexia.

>Now please, answer the question. Did you or did you not read Quest for Karn?
Yes, but I'm able to divorce the concept of a shitty author from the idea they were trying to portray.
>>
>>55053471
Wasn't it implied Elesh Norn killed Urabrask or something? Though, I got the impression the reason Urabrask was sorta a good guy was a general incompatibility between Phyrexia and red mana, so Phyrexians like him probably keep cropping up anyway.
>>
>>55053634
Elesh Norn raided Urabrask and Sheoldred's domains, but they very deliberately didn't say what happened to either of the Praetors themselves.
>>
>>55053634
>>55053654
I'm pretty sure they're going to have to reveal the other Praetors survived, because otherwise we're left with Bant Phyrexia and that's probably against the law somewhere.
>>
>>55053700
Not to mention, the whole thing about Elesh Norn attacking their domains was written before Atraxa was made. So either Atraxa happened earlier in the timeline or there's some uncertainty about the current state of the plane.
>>
>>55053471
I read the Zendikar book by the same author, also known as Magic: Three Characters Walk In A Straight Line To Their Goal. Was I correct in assessing that Quest for Karn was basically the same?
>>
so how did wizards manage to drop the ball so fucking hard on the eldrazi? could they not have found some better way of showing off the gatewatch than killing off the villain they'd been building for almost a decade?
>>
>>55055091
They could, but capeshit sells a lot better among kids, so they went with that
>>
>>55055743
Well it's a children's card game so I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>55053377
>Did you or did you not read Quest for Karn?
Not that anon, but I didn't. Got a pdf or ebook of it you can stick on 4chan?
>>
>>55055091
>killing off the villain they'd been building for almost a decade
>appeared in one block
What are you even talking about
>>
File: Mirth.jpg (54KB, 640x516px) Image search: [Google]
Mirth.jpg
54KB, 640x516px
>>55053471
>Yes, but I'm able to divorce the concept of a shitty author from the idea they were trying to portray.

That's called a good idea for a story with poor execution. Also known as bad writing.
>>
>>55056535
Nobody was defending the writing.
>>
>>55053471
>Memnarch is not a pure machine.
He was until he got mycosynth-ed. A large part of his mania was an attempt to restore his previous "perfection."

Did you read the original Mirrodin books?
>>
>>55056578
They were saying the story wasn't bad. A poorly-written story is bad.
>>
>>55056612
No, go further back. The discussion started from >>55052861
>one of the worst-conceived storylines

They were arguing about the concept for the storyline, which is not synonymous with how the storyline played out.
>>
>>55047969
The culmination of his fight with Sorin was Tibalt fleeing the plane. Presumably he's wreaking havoc elsewhere and never thought to go back home.
>>
>>55050893
Tibalt's life on Innistrad consisted of people looking down on him or trying to kill him. Anywhere else in the Multiverse, he's a devilish being to be feared. On Innistrad, he's a failed scientist who turned to torture because it's all he knows how to do.
>>
>>55052381
Sorin is written decently well as far as new Magic story characters go. He has a decent character arc and he definitely acts like a guy who is used to being all powerful and above petty mortal squabbles.
>>
>>55056764
Ah, you got me senpai. My bad.
>>
>>55053794
Atraxa indicates a great deal of unity amongst the Phyrexians. Perhaps they just failed to integrate the Reds
>>
The real question is how long before Gix Returns?
>>
>>55057335
I worry if they ever brought Gix back he'd be around just to get smacked down by one of the Praetors to show how much cooler and better their new and improved Phyrexians are. Even if that wouldn't make any sense.
>>
>>55057409
>Gix will never emerge from the blind eternities, kick the shit out of Norn, and declare himself the new Father of Machines
>>
>>55057427
I don't think he could. Power creep is real.
>>
File: Cw2ZfeOW8AEyRe7.jpg (171KB, 1200x875px) Image search: [Google]
Cw2ZfeOW8AEyRe7.jpg
171KB, 1200x875px
>>55057427
Not a chance. They'd never kill off everyone's favorite shit-tier waifu just to appease the ten or so people still playing that actually remember Gix.
>>
>>55057533
Nigga smacked around Urza, if the writing remained consistent he could easily.
>>
>>55057409
I don't care if he comes back in canon. I just want a good Gix commander
>>
>>55057555
Urza was mighty because of preptime wizardry and shit he had invented. Slapping around an old man isn't hard.
>>
>>55057606
Didn't he have nigh infinite prep-time cause of tolaria time shenanigans?

Also, aren't there still some times bubbles with phyrexians in them?
>>
>>55057606
He was a powerful pre-Mending 'walker. He appeared as an old man exclusively because he chose to, they weren't even constrained by physical form. I have no qualms about saying some neo-Phyrexian that thinks a post-Mending Karn is the end-all, be-all would get bitchslapped by Gix.
>>
If the oil was just phazon, why didnt they use it before?

It just turns them into kinda generic villians. Not a bug fan of nuphyrexia.
>>
>>55057828
>why didnt they use it before?
They did. But they didn;t really need it before.
>>
>>55057828

It's only phazeon on Mirroden because everything is metal. I'm reading Nemesis right now, and OldPhyrexia needed to do surgeries on Crovax cause he wasn't made of metal.

Did anybody else read the Mercadian Masques novel? Volrath is such a little bitch in it.
>>
>all this New Phyrexia hate
Old Phyrexia was superior, but new Phyrexia is still the best big bad we have now.
>>
>>55058067
>but new Phyrexia is still the best big bad we have now.
I wouldn't say that, but they are the ones who are actually a massive planar threat.

Bolas just wants to get his Pre-mending powers back and the Eldrazi seem to serve an actual purpose. Phyrexia is the only one who actually wants to conquer/compleat everything.
>>
>>55058205
I get the feeling we're going to see an ozymandias style story line soon to shake things up. One of the new heroes making some plane ending threat just to galvanize he gatewatch or something equally stupid.

I hope it involves slivers again cause they would be an easy mid level threat to resurrect like if Nissa wanted to be a cunt.
>>
>>55058205
But once Bolas gets his power back, what does he intend to do with it?
>>
>>55058794
Go back to reading his books?
>>
>>55058794
He will regain his immortality. He just wants to live forever.
>>
>>55052723
lol remember when this was a "strong" zombie
>>
>>55059242
Forever is a lot of time. Is he likely to do anything sinister with it?
>>
>>55060183
Very likely. He just got really upset at no longer being immortal when the mending happened and is now trying to save himself from death
>>
>>55057966
Masques novel was one of the more boring ones. The only decent parts were Orim's chapters, just because she was kind of likeable I guess.

It's kind of funny when you contrast saturday morning cartoon Volrath from Masques, with his cool antihero version in Nemesis.
>>
File: 99[1].jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
99[1].jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>55056598
Either way, the contention was that the oil couldn't affect organic individuals, but it's been shown to before.
>>
just waiting for the return to Sarpadia so the Thrulls can stomp everything else in the multiverse into goo
>>
>>55061694
I'm not sure Wizards is aware they still exist.
>>
>>55060716
>mycosynth
Well, it's been retconned to have been caused by the oil.

That's fucking retarded for like 30 different reasons.

So yeah, its fucking Phason and apparently it didn't use itself to its full potential because fuck you and your logic.
>>
>>55062243
>Well, it's been retconned to have been caused by the oil.

No, they planned for it to be the oil since day one. Mirrodin was designed to become New Phyrexia, that's what it was made for.
>>
>>55062454
Then that's fucking retarded.

"So Mycosynth did a bunch of shit completely unrelated to Phyrixia and later was like "Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind becoming Phyrixia"
>>
File: 46[3].jpg (80KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
46[3].jpg
80KB, 312x445px
>>55062532
Phyrexia's had a theme of melding flesh and metal since day one.
>>
File: 322[1].jpg (61KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
322[1].jpg
61KB, 312x445px
>>55062532
>>55062584
"Living metal" is kind of their shtick.
The Phyresis process of Glistening Oil turning metal and flesh into Mycosynth just explains how they got their living metal back in the old days. It was always the oil.
>>
>>55062656
So again: Why didn't they just dump this shit in an unoccupied pit in any plane, and have it take over instantly?

Why with the complicated schemes, wars, battles, nanomachines from other dimensions when they have fucking Phason?
>>
>>55062740
Because it needed a very specific breeding ground to work. Planes like the original Phyrexia and Argentum, where there's a huge surplus of metal for the mycosynth to form in, are apparently quite rare.

If you dumped the oil in a pit on Ravnica, it might be able to fuck up that specific pit and anyone who happens to wander into it something fierce, but it's not going to spread around.
>>
>>55062786
But...It turns organics into metal. Or at least metallic Growth on flesh.

Like its so stupid when they had to create a new plane to attack with nanomachines (That they couldn't corrupt with oil apparently), when they apparently could convert organics to inorganics anway and then corrupt them.
>>
File: 103[1].jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
103[1].jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>55062862
>It turns organics into metal

No, Mycosynth turns organics into metal. The oil apparently has to turn metal into mycosynth before that can begin the full-on Phyresis process. That's why the random organic people we've seen infected with the oil didn't become artifact creatures, they just became corrupted, but Mycosynth Lattice turns everything into artifacts. It's a stage-by-stage thing.
>>
>>55062944
doesn't answer the question. why. didn't. they. infect. everything.
>>
>>55062944
I just don't buy for a second that this was the intended direction for Mirrodin. Or it was made by retardds

So again why not dump it in a random pit, set it on "Mycosynth" and then just dump some more oil later? Or just some random jungle? Water supply? Dump some fungus in the pit, then Mycosynth, then More oil? One would think Dominaria would have succumbed to Mycosynth or oil by now if it just works like a Plague.

This is just bad writing in the long term. It's either you have a miracle solution and wipe them out in a blast, or they are completely undefeatable all the time because it only takes a drop of oil to turn anything into phyrexia (That the old Phyrixians apparently just forgot about when they had entire OCEANS of the fucking stuff)
>>
>>55063023
The initial stages of the Phyresis process caused by Mycosynth are apparently reversible. The Vanishing, where the inhabitants of Mirrodin who had been kidnapped from other planes were returned to their home planes, returned them sans metal. So seemingly, constant exposure to the Mycosynth spores is necessary.

You need a plane like Argentum, where you can put Mycosynth everywhere, for it to be able to just passively infect everything. The more direct approaches they favored in the past were better suited for raiding and invading planes.
>>
>>55063055
Again, because just dumping it in a random jungle won't make Mycosynth. You'd have to dump it in a random jungle that happens to have trees made entirely out of metal.
>>
>>55063067
Wasn't the mycosinth only able to grow crazy on Mirrodin cause THE ENTIRE PLANE was made of metal?
>>
>>55063093
Yes, that's the given explanation.
>>
>>55063102
So pretty much the only reason that mirrodin worked the way it did was because it's a literal "Best case scenario" for phyrexian invasion and every other plane will be leagues more resistant simply by virtue of not being made of mycosinth food
>>
>>55063023
Time investment and likelihood of success. Oil works well on Mirroden because metal is already meshed with flesh. On an organic plane it would take eons, and by the time is does anything someone could probably find the source of the small outbreak and channel+fireball it away. Or exile it. Or contain it with magic. Dropping a grenade behind enemy lines and hoping they let it kill them sometime between now and eternity is much less efficient than doing the job right with soldiers and strategy.

Infiltration. Assimilation. Infrastructure. Control. On any plane other than Mirroden and Esper/Alara, Phyrexian Oil would be significantly less likely to get the job done alone, and you've wasted oil, and you've just left your tech for someone else to find, and possibly alerted a plane to your existence without you yourself knowing they know.
>>
>>55041301
Not gonna lie, I would go crazy for a NuPhyrexia vs TruePhyrexia block. I mean the conclusion would inevitably be "and the NuWalker justice league stop the war and both Phyrexias lose" but it would be a fun set up until that point.
>>
>>55063142
They could maybe get Esper with it, and to a lesser extent Kaladesh, but otherwise, yes, they'd have a lot more difficult time of it.
>>
>>55063055
You'll notice Mycosynth doesn't turn flesh into 100% metal. So, say you manage to make one metal tree in a jungle and convert it to Mycosynth. Best case scenario, you probably get some trees near it that are like 60% metal. Trees near those trees become maybe 20% metal. After some distance, no more metal trees at all. You need a huge amount of the plane able to have sustainable Mycosynth formations.
>>
>>55063154
The real question is, how would Gix respond to Elesh Norn. Gix is the only real viable representative of original Phyrexia. Either he comfortably settles in as second-in-command, a role he has thousands of years worth of experience in, or he tries to wrest control from her and seat himself as the new Father of Machines. They could realistically justify one or the other without too much trouble.
>>
>>55053700
I'd like to see Bant Phyrexia.
>>
>>55063274
He wouldn't "wrest control" or be "second in command" of NuPhyrexia, he would be in command of TruPhyrexia, a completely different faction. The two factions would be at odds.

He'd probably be trying to resurrect Yawgmoth or something.
>>
>>55063314
>The two factions would be at odds.
Why is that?
>>
>>55063162
Esper would be a cakewalk since everyone's already at LEAST halfway done. Kaladesh would also be pretty easy due to their overreliance on artifice. it might not get most people, but all their toys would start stabbing them
>>
>>55063330
Plot convenience. Also old phyrexia is monoblack, as opposed to NuPhyrexia, which seems pretty firmly bant aligned, with a hint of black in it
>>
>>55063314
New Phyrexia venerates the Father of Machines, they just believed Karn to be an incarnation of their Father. If Gix showed up and said "He we're trying to get Yawgmoth back, he's the Father of Machines" they'd be up for it.
>>
>>55057053
The red faction of phyrexia was most against unification. The other colors saw the benefit but red Phyrexians are not totally interested in being absorbed and lost in the general Phyrexian populace. Blue will do anything for perfection, black understands when it needs to team up with others for the most benefit, green wants to be a part of a system, and white is white. Urabrask just doesn't want to be under someone else's thumb.
>>
>>55063361
I think New hyrexia already knows Yawgmoth was the old father of machines, iirc they kind of know everything about old phyrexia due to the oil kind of carrying all the memories of all phyrexians ever and they kind of just pick it up via osmosis for those who can interpret it iirc. Jin Gitaxias actually thought Yawgmoth was a scrub because in the end he failed
>>
>>55063362
Black was actually beaten into it. The black phyrexians were too obsessed with infighting each other to notice norn murdering off the combatants one by one
Red phyrexians are slowly turning into something not wholly phyrexian. Turns out the color of emotions and individualism fucks up the brains of an emotionless collective something fierce
Also, old Phyrexia was black because it had someone firmly fixed at the top.
>>
>>55063388
>While acknowledging and appreciating Yawgmoth's cunning, vision, and ambition, Jin-Gitaxias feels that Yawgmoth failed because he didn't think things through. To him, compleation is a systemic process with a deliberate end: the creation of a perfect system.

So he's definitely aware of him, but considering he was willing to serve under Karn, who was literally insane at the time, I can't see him raising too many objections if Yawgmoth were to hypothetically suddenly appear. He might try to advise caution and a greater emphasis on strategy over spite, but he probably wouldn't openly oppose Yawgmoth.
>>
>>55063486
I think it's more like Jin Gitaxias prefers to lie low. Iirc he was actively trying to make Karn the way he wanted him which I believe is the flavor of Corrupted Conscience, the card showing Karn remembering Venser, Urza, etc.
>>
>>55063486
White also liked the idea of a super strict heirarchy where everyone both has and knows their place at all times and can't leave said place
>>
>>55063314
>>55063330
If I were to write FanCanon off the top of my head: Gix, having been thrown back in time by the Portal and Temporal Shift. He's been hunting for the "backups" that Yagmoth left (SW Emperor Style.) These backups normally would have saved Yawgmoth, if not for the Legacy device, they still have the biomechanical technology of True Phyrexia, and he's been using this tech to teach secret cults of "necromancers" throughout the centuries. He bleieves if he can find ALL of them, that enough of Yawgmoth's essence can be salvaged to brig him back. The focal point for starting the set is, Gix has sent out an extrapanar signal that's been "activating" the pieces of Yawgmoth to find them faster, but doing this allerts other factions to the existence of these dead backups. NuPhyrexia is ALSO hunting for the pieces of Yawgmoth to reverse engineer them, since if only a little oil was enough to create their entire faction, they can certainly reverse engineer some empire-building shit from the pieces of Yawgmoth, but they have no intention of bringing him back. Justice League also wants to find the Pieces, if only to destroy them... and maybe a fourth doing the same... Bolas?

Basically, instead of being a single-plane set, it's a "plane-hopping and treasure hunting for the McGuffins" set. Each faction wants the pieces of Yawgmoth for a different reason, so naturally, when they start revealing themselves, they are at odds.
>>
>>55063314
Trying to resurrect Yawgmoth isn't a viable goal. Magic has a "dead is dead" policy and Urborg is Yawgmoth's grave. Keeping that in mind, the more reasonable method of staging a conflict between New Phyrexia and a remnant of old Phyrexia would be Gix trying to install himself as Father of Machines and Elesh Norn rejecting him.
>>
File: Image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>55058814
This.
>>
>>55063361
>New Phyrexia venerates the Father of Machines,
and megachurches "venerate" Jesus, but they wouldn't want him to ACTUALLY come back and threaten their financial power-base with all his talk of "moneychangers in the temple" and whatnot. Maybe the average NuPhyrexian pleb would be down to bring back the father of machines, and some might even defect, but the surviving Praetors aren't about to just give up all their power and control.
>>
I honestly was never around for old phyrexia and really enjoyed new phyrexia when I was a kid but at this point I genuinely don't care which faction is represented as long as the horribly written jacetice league doesn't get to play a part in it
>>
>>55063102
So it can't grow without metal...Which it uses to convert organics into metal....So it convert inorganics into nonmetal so it can create more oil.

Also oil can corrupt organics but not turn them non-organic.

This is a fucking rigamaroll which speaks of messy shitty writing.
>>
>>55063552
That wouldn't be NuPhyrexia vs OldPhyrexia. That would be Norn's NuPhyrexians vs Gix's NuPhyrexians. That kind of defeats the point of the gadanken/fantasy-set.

Also, nobody said Gix is sane or correct in believing he can bring back Yawgmoth.
>>
File: Elspeth gets Blacked.jpg (78KB, 1024x588px) Image search: [Google]
Elspeth gets Blacked.jpg
78KB, 1024x588px
>>55044251
>Someone has to revive Elspeth first
It's almost like there's a certain faction that's extremely good at reviving the dead, that she's already encountered in the past during their invasion of her home plane when she was young.
>>
>>55063664
No, they won't have anything to do with it. Due to death working stupid on theros she'll be back
>>
>>55063609
I actually think a lot of it is nostalgia for old Phyrexia as I personally think New Phyrexia is better concepted. They really should be in all colors, and I think they are much more interesting visually now than they ever were, since they are more aware of the importance of visual distinction of designs. It's why the Eldrazi picked up their own kind of visual tell for their corruption in BFZ, or why Amonkhet just has Bolas horns everywhere. They understand one of the most important aspects of Magic is the art and that they can tell story very well through it.
>>
>>55057427
I think Gix should find his way into Sarpatia, to teach the Phyrexian way to the thrulls and saprolings there.

Before Gin-Gitaxias gets portal technology.

I expect some sort of Phyrexian reformation in Mirrodin.
>>
Why don't phyrexians ever actually become fully composed of metal? Unless I'm mistaken, both old and new phyrexians despise organic flesh for being subject to death and decay. This seems like staggeringly bad writing.
>>
>>55063696
I thought that during invasion block, sarpadia was the one place on dominaria where the phyrexians just straight up could not get a foothold cause the thrulls and saprolings were too strong
>>
>>55063708
They're about perfect fusion of flesh and metal. Phyrexians metaphorically dislike the concept of flesh. There are straight phyrexian constructs made of metal, but mostly other living things become phyrexian by being broken down and reformed with metal. Also it's a lot more interesting visually for them be robot zombies.
>>
>>55063708
Budgetary concerns
>>
>>55063682
>>
>>55063708
Well Old Phyerixia didn't have a magic thing that made you metal, so they had to make do with Grafts.

New Phyrexia because FUCK YOU.
>>
>>55063708
Original Phyrexia actually introduced a necromantic/necrotic (and therefore organic) element to an otherwise purely artificial plane. I also introduced the concept of Evolution to the previously inorganic plane.
>>
>>55063605
>but the surviving Praetors aren't about to just give up all their power and control
Oh they absolutely would. Elesh Norn is as White as they come, which means eagerly serving a higher power. Vorinclex knows the alpha of the pack when he sees one and would respect Yawgmoth's raw power. Jin Gitaxias is not a leader, and would cow up to Yawgmoth as long as Yawgmoth left him to his work. Sheoldred is smart enough not to fight a battle she knows she'd lose.

Urabrask is the only one who might hold out against Yawgmoth.

The problem with the megachurch analogy is that the Phyrexians are legitimately religious. They believed even Karn's insane, fevered ramblings were literally The Holy Word.
>>
>>55063845
Except, no, I think literally every praetor had their own agendas against Karn. I can't recall specifics, but MAYBE Elesh Norn accepted him? But that was about it. The normal rabble of Phyrexia of course happily fell under his thrall but all of the praetors were only interested in securing their own position, including Urabrask who just wanted to be left alone to form his own vision, either through Karn or by removing Karn.
>>
>>55063640
Then suck it up, because "Gix's NuPhyrexians" are the closest thing you'd get to old Phyrexia.
>>
>>55063748
That doesn't quite make sense since the higher ups aren't composed purely of metal or a greater percentage of metal than other phyrexians.

>>55063737
What you're saying does make sense, but I've been surfing through wikis and I can't find a quote from a book or a card that directly confirms what you're saying, and unless you can provide one, you're just speculating.

Anyone care to explain the difference between old and new phyrexia for me and why they'd fight each other?
>>
>>55063870
The black new phyrexians are just old phyrexians anyway.
>>
>>55063845
Sheoldred is fuckin' dead. The way that the black phyrexians got pulled into control is that norn killed sheoldred and forced them to integrate. It didn't work for the red ones since A) urubrask (probably) isn't dead, and B) even if he would they'd still resist. Red isn't nearly as obsessed with "Who's the leader" as the other colors
>>
>>55063625
Yup.

Like any long running story (often not entirely written by a single mind/team), you get plot points that are forgotten, ideas expanded upon beyond their initial conception, and outright changes to fit the story's current direction. Some of those things result in good, other times bad.

>Hey George, you wanna expand the idea of The Force in these movies
> Sure Fucking Do!

>Hey Gene, how about we add more Vulcan lore so I'm not just a pointy-eared computer
>Good idea Lenny

>Hey, what if we went to planes other than Dominaria with New characters
>Neat
>>
>>55063886
>Sheoldred is fuckin' dead.

She's as dead as Urabrask, which is to say, they deliberately left out any confirmation of either Praetor having been killed. They very specifically only said Elesh Norn fucked up their domains. It's the most classic case of "never saw the body".
>>
>>55063870
>Gix was sent back in time.
>Uses his own body to build new self-replecating Phyrexians that use existing metal and dead flesh to build more
BAM, I made Old Phyrexians. We're not talking about a real world where you're not allowed to be creative. We're talking about a pretend world where the story is bullshited-up on the fly to justify the cards in a given set.
>>
>>55063878
I mean there's tons and tons of Phyrexians being about "metal and flesh", not just metal. I'd say you're the one taking an extreme position that has never been outright stated that Phyrexia's vision of perfection only involved being made entirely of metal, yet most phyrexians are not.
>>
>>55063905
It's more believable that sheoldred is dead though since IIRC, there were at least 3-4 other named characters that were vying for the position of "Black Praetor" and tell me with a straight face that one of them wouldn't use norn's bullshit as a chance to off their rivals
>>
>>55063928
Tell me with a straight face you think they'd kill fucking SHEOLDRED for one of the seven faceless Steel Thanes there are (Well, we knew Geth).
>>
>>55063916
If the issue was that Gix trying to take over as Father of Machines would be that he'd supposedly be using free range organic Phyrexians grown locally on Mirrodin, then what would be the issue if Gix just brings his own "old" Phyrexians with him while trying to seat himself in his Father's throne? Like, how would that prevent the Gix v. Elesh Norn conflict from "fitting" as New Phyrexia vs. old Phyrexia then?
>>
>>55063928
>tell me with a straight face that one of them wouldn't use norn's bullshit as a chance to off their rivals

You know who I think would use Norn's bullshit as a chance to off their rivals? Sheoldred.
>>
>>55063878
>you're just speculating
I think this is the case. Some Phyrexian creations were all metal, but both flesh and metal were a usable resource. "Waste not, want not," would mean Phyrexia recycles and stretches their massive resource so. Why have 100 metal men when you can have 200 metal-flesh men. My interpretation. Also Magic wikis suck for some reason.

>Anyone care to explain the difference between old and new phyrexia for me and why they'd fight each other?
A unified message. Old Phyrexia was forged and controlled by one godlike being, and all his followers were directed by his will and design. New Phyrexia is the difference between Mahamad's direct disciples, and people reading re-re-rewritten words 1,500 years later. New Phyrexia knows it's job is to complete because it's how it was made. But beyond that they don't have much, and they definitely don't have a single philosophy for getting everything do everything.

>Monoculture vs. Multiculture
>>
>>55063976
>grown locally on Mirrodin
Who says he's doing it on Mirrodin?
>>
>>55063995
I'm assuming the complaint from >>55063640 saying "Gix's NuPhyrexians" was implying that.
>>
>>55063928
>Thinking Sheoldred, the character known for having a hundred million spies, hoarding information and secrets, and knowing literally everyone's plans would have been caught unaware by Elesh Norn, the Praetor of the color whose actions are most easily telegraphed

Letting Elesh Norn kill off the other Steel Thanes plays straight into Sheoldred's hand, and we have every reason to believe that she would have both known far in advance that it was going to happen and have plans upon plans for handling it when it did. There's as close to a 0% chance as possible that she died.
>>
>>55063902
I'm glad you spun this in a reasonable way and understand that by the way. A lot of people don't seem to get it or don't care about the logistics of this kind of thing. It was like, what, 8 years of nothing between Mirrodin and Scars? I just think you deserve an upboat for recognizing that and that there's good and bad about it.
>>
>>55064022
Ah, okay, followed the wrong thread chain. Well, regardless, the reason it wouldn't "fit the feel" is because, part of the reason that OldPhyrexia vs NuPhyrexia is appealing is because it drives home the fact that NuPhyrexia is NOT Phyrexia, it's a new faction that took up the Moniker. Having Gix's NuPhyrexian faction vs Elish's NuPhyrexian faction does the exact opposite and completely legitimizes NuPhyrexia as the true Phyrexia, which it isn't, anymore than NewYork is the real Yorkshire.
>>
>>55063730
that is correct
thrulls ass whuped the phyrexians
>>
Boner for return of Yawgmoth rises!
>>
>>55064212
Thrulls and thallids
>>
>>55064107
>it drives home the fact that NuPhyrexia is NOT Phyrexia, it's a new faction that took up the Moniker

The Phyrexians on New Phyrexia are Phyrexians. They're not "New Phyrexians", New Phyrexia is just the name of the plane. WotC would definitely do the storyline that legitimizes the Phyrexians of New Phyrexia as the true Phyrexia, because it is, as far as they're concerned.
>>
>>55064107
New Phyrexia is the return of Phyrexia in a slightly different package. You're acting like it's an entirely different group with literally zero relation to the old group that's just using the name for kicks.
>>
>>55064107
Okay, you're going to have to outline what you think is the dividing line between the idea of "Gix with old Phyrexians" vs. "Gix's NuPhyrexians" is, because it seems to be some very vague, indeterminate boundary that you might be the only one seeing, or you just aren't explaining it very well.
>>
>>55064427
The line is "old magic versus numagic"
>>
File: goth-kid.jpg (22KB, 506x316px) Image search: [Google]
goth-kid.jpg
22KB, 506x316px
>>55064253
>The Phyrexians on New Phyrexia are Phyrexians. They're not "New Phyrexians"
But that's abjectly false. If they're truly Phyrexia, then that goth-kid who insists his name is now Azrael is truly Azrael.

>WotC would
I know what WoTC would do: churn out crap. We're talking about fantasy sets here.
>>
>>55064467
>then that goth-kid who insists his name is now Azrael is truly Azrael.

The goth-kid who insists his name is now Azrael isn't made from a magical contagion that was part of Azrael.
>>
>>55064438
Okay, you twat, try that again but with less of a buzzwordy tone. In what way would there be a conflict between Gix and Elesh Norn where it's somehow not "Gix's NuPhyrexians" and how would it be different from Gix trying to assume control of New Phyrexia?
>>
>>55064438
>>55064467
You just seem very bitter.
>>
>>55064467
>If they're truly Phyrexia, then that goth-kid who insists his name is now Azrael is truly Azrael.
That has got to be the worst analogy you've made so far. It's worse than the New York one.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>55064099
Vault Skirge appreciates your comment.
>>
File: 56[1].jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
56[1].jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>55064099
>8 years of nothing

Not exactly nothing.
>>
>>55064957
Was always disappointed this wasn't at least 3/1 or 2/2 or some shit.
>>
File: Fact_or_Fiction.jpg (55KB, 575x456px) Image search: [Google]
Fact_or_Fiction.jpg
55KB, 575x456px
>>55064099
Speaking as someone that gets irked by their inability to keep consistent, I understand the archival nightmare that is maintaining your lore consistently. That said, I must admit sometimes it feels like WotC isn't even trying. I don't personally consider this one of those moments, but man, there are times.
>>
>>55066074
With two major series of retcons under their belt in 24ish years, inconsistency in minor lore details (not always explained by different planes having different rules), yeah, I'd agree. Continuity is rough, but caring about it yourselves helps.
>>
>>55066346
>two major series of retcons
Which are those?
>>
>>55041301
Yawgmoth when?
>>
>>55066696
Origins more recently, making minor changes to Jace and Chanda, some changes to Gideon, and small Sorin changes in the fallout. Probably more. Major changes with Nissa indicative of Wizards's (Hasbro's?) marketing goals.

Older lore is referred to as prerevisionist on the wikis. Lore that is cannon unless specifically contradicted by basically Urza's Saga and Weatherlight. Serra dies by letting herself be killed in Homelands, and I think that muddles her involvement with Urza if Homelands is taken as strictly cannon, for instance. Bolas is also killed, but I'm 100% not sure if this was retconned or explained later. Be he got dead.

Basically when Wizards doesn't like their previous ideas for whatever reasons, they have no problem throwing out what they wrote, published, and put their name on.
>>
>>55066945
Never.
>>
>>55066945
He's dead anon. The only possible way he comes back is via cloning in a flesh vat and even that only has .00000000002% chance of happening
>>
>>55066945
Wouldn't that defeat the entire point of like 90% of Magic's pre-Mending storyline?
>>
>>55057535
>These eyes have shown me the flaws of flesh

Possibly the best Phyrexia flavour text ever
>>
>>55067304
I prefer
>you serve phyrexia. Your parts will better serve phyrexia elsewhere.
>>
File: 584_phyrexianwalker.jpg (222KB, 620x497px) Image search: [Google]
584_phyrexianwalker.jpg
222KB, 620x497px
>>55067304
>>55067424
Not strictly from Phyrexia, but on a Phyrexian card nonetheless:

>"I have heard terrible tales of black rains, ashen fields, and metal that screams. I have consoled myself that the tales were a myth of some fevered mind. But today I saw a walker—and now I fear the truth." —Kasib Ibn Naji, Letters

A favorite of mine, and one of the first cards that really gave me an idea of what Phyrexia was.
>>
File: 152.jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
>>55067633
It was also a very deliberate shitpost. They were actually making fun of people who had complained that Ornithopter was broken because it was a 0 cost creature, so they wrote the flavor text like a 0 mana 0/3 was the scariest thing imaginable.
>>
>>55067797
Heh, I was never aware of that. Saw plenty of use at my kitchen table, either as an early-game blocker or so that I could buff it with Enchant Creatures.
>>
>>55067633
.....Man that has way fucking more personality then modern Phyrixia.

All these new threats are all about Zombification, or transforming you into them with oil or Eldrazi or other bullshit.
But Phyrexia was just big, Scary looking, cool, and devious.

But I guess you can't just kill an enemy like that over a period of 3 years with a rainbow colored powerblast
>>
>>55057535
>>55057427
The Gix shitposting has to stop. Gix was a tool of Yawgmoth and not a very good one at that. He fucking failed at everything he did.

>Stop the rise of Urza and Mishra?
Failed

>Kill Urza Planeswalker?
Failed.

Get with it lorefags. The Urza books are pretty clear that Gix, while scary and powerful, never got an important win. Why is he held on such a pedestal? Do you not know of any other Phyrexians?
>>
>>55066977
>Bolas is also killed
Source motherfucker.
>>
>>55068095
Would you prefer Croag? I'm pretty sure his track record is even worse. The only other ones I can think of are randoms referenced on exclusively on flavor text, or maybe that one guy that compleated Crovax.
>>
File: davvol.jpg (8KB, 247x203px) Image search: [Google]
davvol.jpg
8KB, 247x203px
>>55068192
We don't have to lionize individual phyrexians. That's not the point of Phyrexia... but Davvol was fucking cool.

>Be sickly town elder.
>Betray everyone you know to Croag, a metallic monster, in exchange for prolonged life and possibly a new compleated body.
>Be put in charge of the stronghold of Rath where you over see the expansion of the plane.
>Hey, I'm pretty good at controlling this flowstone stuff.
>Steal beings from across the multiverse.
>They rebel.
>Thanklessly crush the rebels, even on your birthday.
>Be denied the glory of true compleation.
>Secretly plot to kill Croag.
>Obsessively improve Negators to kill Urza Planeswalker in an effort to focus on anything but your weak fleshy body.
>Take the mantle of Evincar from Croag after he's grievously injured.
>Hahaha! I'm in charge n-
>Get your brains sucked out by a surprisingly spry Croag who leaves you to die on the floor.
>>
File: Encroach.jpg (90KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
Encroach.jpg
90KB, 600x488px
>>55068430
I'd have mentioned him, but he's dead. Still, you are quite clearly a man of taste and refinement, so I salute you.
>>
>>55068150
Second Legends cycle, last book, Champion's Trial. Umezawa outsmarts Bolas and kills him.
From MTG wiki.
>The dragon had abandoned his body, unaware of the trap, and followed Tetsuo to the Meditation Plane, where he was killed by Umezawa in this weakened state.
Apparently Time Rift shenanigans bring him back because he wasn't 100% dead, just a bodyless spirit with no planeswalking ability.
>>
>>55068441
When did Frieza become an MTG character?
>>
File: 1348923.png (590KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
1348923.png
590KB, 600x488px
>>55068441
>>
File: 104.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
104.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>55068033
Scars has a lot of potent flavor text still.
>>
>>55068536
You missed that transformation?
>>
>>55068033
Calm your tits. New Phyrexia has had a single set where they were truly established, and only one block to get any flavor text. You almost seem like you want New Phyrexia to be bad so you can keep jacking off Yawgmoth's lifeless dick.
>>
>>55052381

Zomg, Sorin is the man. You're just a huge fucking faggot.
>>
>>55060697
Glad to see someone else liked Orim. She felt too interesting for the rest of the book. Even characters who got good writing in Rath and Storm were butchered in Masques.

So Volrath gets better in Nemesis? I have something to look forward to then.
>>
>>55068674
Underrated post.
>>
>>55059242
>>55060183
>>55060203
IIRC the biggest thing to really piss him off is that his memory is no longer completely limitless and ageless. Can't fully remember where I read this stuff but I seem to recall him being upset at loosing all his infinite power, but was not super hast or crazy about it at first. He was still an elder dragon after all, he had more then enough time to do the typical centuries long shenanigins planning that now would be even harder to be foiled since the number of planar jumping competitors who can live long enough to see the big picture and intervene are really narrowed down. But then one day he had a slightly harder time recalling a bit of knowledge and found that his entire memory was no longer super crisp and clear and tiny trivial bits of knowledge that have no importance whatsoever were fading away. THAT pissed him off huge time, or possibly scared him, or more likely the idea of time being an inevitable doom to him and his precious knowledge scared him a tiny bit and he got pissed that something could ever frighten him.

He will probably go back to reading his books for a long time to regain any lost knowledge and then cook up some crazy draconian scheme like trying to sell Thalia a bridge in Lorwyn.
>>
hopefully never, and they just keep releasing art and characters in supplementary sets.
>>
>>55063486
Jin and all the other Praetors were also slowly molding Karn into the image they had in mind of their Father of Machines. I am sure he would not take away all the power from them when he fully awakened in his corrupt state.
>>
>>55068623
Ironic in the set where indestructible creatures where easiest to destroy so that flavor text means nothing.
>>
>>55071797
>so that flavor text means nothing
If we're throwing out flavor text because of mechanical reasons, then the flavor text about how scary a 0/3 is doesn't seem very appropriate.
>>
>>55073205
In fairness, you could make the case that it is pretty terrifying because it's a 0/3 for 0. These are the scouts that Phyrexia produces with so little effort they essentially cost nothing. Imagine what they could do with actual investment.
>>
>>55073706
In fairness, the Mirrans can make 0 mana 1/1s.
>>
>>55073749
Good thing Kasib Ibn Naji never saw one of those.
>>
>>55071205
If this is true, i love this for Bolas. Its so simple, but its a real problem for older people and it can be real scary. And it makes sense itd be something hes concerned about because as far as we know hes planned in terms of centuries and millenia for a very long time now, so its why he might care about it more than, say, the human Liliana whose hang up with losing oldwalker powers was immortality. I really love this interpretation and I hope youre right that it was acknowledged and wizards remembers that.
>>
>>55069640
There isn't really much Volrath, but when he appears, he's cool. Nemesis is a huge improvement over the 3 books before it (bloodlines, rath, mercadia).

Don't look forward to more Orim though, she doesn't really have much to do for the rest of the Weatherlight saga. I also hate the fact, that her card is on the reserved list, so we are stuck with this dumb fat asian lady artwork, instead of what she actually looks like.
>>
>>55067633
This looks like a paraphrase of something written by Lovecraft.
>>
>>55075041
>bloodlines
Oh good I'm not the only person who thought this book was booring.

>so we are stuck with this dumb fat asian lady artwork, instead of what she actually looks like
Huh?
>>
File: mirriweatherlightduelist[1].jpg (49KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
mirriweatherlightduelist[1].jpg
49KB, 265x370px
>>55075041
>I also hate the fact, that her card is on the reserved list, so we are stuck with this dumb fat asian lady artwork, instead of what she actually looks like.

Hope springs eternal.
>>
File: Image.jpg (39KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
39KB, 312x445px
>>55075041
Any other books that are good? After Nemesis I'm gonna start the Urza books, consider if prophecy is even worth the time once Urza's done, then finish it all off with the invasion cycle.

>fat asian
What are you on about? She only got one legendary card with Foglio art. Are you thinking of her vanguard card?
>>
>>55076425
If you haven't read Brothers War, it's probably the best Magic novel. Kamigawa and Ravnica trilogies are both a fun time. I recall liking the Time Spiral books a lot too, but I'm almost certain that's mainly because I loved the set itself so much.
>>
>>55076446
Kamigawa Cycle and the Purifying Fire are the only Magic books I have physical copies of. Kamigawa was amazing, Fire was just an alright adventure. Filled up a car trip, so I can't complain too much.

I'm really looking forward to Time Spural, but I'm dreading having to find the Legends and Ice Age books before that.
>>
>>55041301
You mean...wypipo?
>>
>>55077358
I have the Legends books, the original ones and the newer ones. I don't recall much about the second series, though. Oh, Chainer's Torment is also wonderful, if you can get a hold of that one. Not the second series of novels in Otaria, though. While they're important to the understanding of Time Spiral, they're also utter crap. I'd recommend waiting on Time Spiral if you haven't read the others, since it references a ton of shit from previous stories.
>>
>>55076446
And see, I would say Planeswalker>Time Streams>Brothers War>>>Bloodlines for the Artifact Cycle. I liked Brothers War, and Grubb, but I remember BW feeling very... dry compared to book 2 and 3. But it's been a while.

>>55077358
Go ahead and read Agents of Artifice. Predictable but enjoyable, and Bolas steals every scene he's in.

Also, it's mostly the last Ice Age book that's expensive. But if you're buying them all at once, I think people sell them all together on ebay.

>>55076425
I think anon is saying that because it's Foglio art we won't get a different art on a card, and anon doesn't like the art.
>>
File: Intuition.jpg (147KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
Intuition.jpg
147KB, 750x450px
>>55077708
>>55075960
>>55076425
>I think anon is saying that because it's Foglio art we won't get a different art on a card, and anon doesn't like the art.

Pretty much. That art is also incosistant, because anywhere else ranging from cards depicting Orim, to book covers, she looks like pic related. In her actual card she looks more like a chubby asian lady, at least to me.

About the books you are left with, Invasion cycle is decent. It gets a bit dumb, but at least it's not a boring slog. I've heard that Chainer's Torment is good.

There are lot of good things said about the Ice Age cycle and The Thran, but good luck finding it anywhere. The first one from Ice Age was in fat packs, but I'm not paying 50$ per book for the rest. No torrent for these as well.
>>
>>55078200
One "advantage" to the art being so sterilized and same-y is you don't get the same level of inconsistency. No more variety with hard-featured Orim, soft-Orim, Vangard Orim, waifu-Orim. That seems to be what Wizards wants even if they can't quite nail down that consistency yet.

And I just checked: I don't have PDFs of Ice Age. Otherwise would have handed them over. I'm afraid to start book one because the price tag on boom three.
>>
>>55078322
I searched most of the trackers and even some IRC. Couldn't find Legions, Scourge, books 2 and 3 from Ice Age, and Time Spiral. Judgement and Onslaught were only available as unedited .docs.

There is obviously more missing, but I only searched for Dominaria stuff ignoring the legends books. If you have something from this list and want to share, please do.
>>
>>55078452
I'd appreciate any links, I might've lost all my old physical copies last time I moved and I think the only stuff I've got is the Invasion Cycle.
>>
>>55078488
Just check TPB, all is probably there except for the .doc files.
>>
>>55078322
Nothing really changed. Compare Chandra Nalaar to duckface, torch of defiance, pyrogenius etc. Or Liliana of the Veil vs anorectic Liliana.
>>
>>55078452
I'm sitting on Artifact, Masquerade (+Rath), Invasion, and Odyssey cycles. So if someone wanted the oddly expensive Rath book I've got it, but nothing else you couldn't pull off the internet or from Amazon for like three-five bucks.
>>
File: 1468224067508.jpg (163KB, 1200x880px) Image search: [Google]
1468224067508.jpg
163KB, 1200x880px
>>55078635
Liliana is the worst offender imo. This one's my favorite personally, wouldn't mind them sticking with this one.
>>
>>55078642
>three-five bucks

As an EUfag, I can't get anything from Time Spiral or Onslaught without paying shitton for international shipping, probably for each book separately, because noone has the all of them. Not even mentioning the Ice Age stuff. Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>55078322
>>55078200
You joking right? Fuck consistency, I want the old, good, genuine art back.
I remember when Crovax looked like a totally different guy on every card, kek.
>>
>>55078728
>>55078635
All I can say is that the "of the veil" version looks like shit.
>>
>>55078791
Sorry to hear that. I go through the same shit importing my weeb cards games.

>>55078883
I agree. Notice how advantage has quotes. I also long for the days when Crovax could be a buff black man, a retarded fridge, and a vampiric Hulk and everyone loved it.
>>
>>55041301
>How long before the real villains of MTG return?
Did Wizards of the Coast went somewhere when I wasn't looking?
>>
>>55079367
Made me chuckle.
>>
File: darksteel_myr.jpg (82KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
darksteel_myr.jpg
82KB, 620x453px
What's going to happen to all the poor little Myr?
>>
File: ichorclaw myr.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
ichorclaw myr.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>55082992
They'll be turned in scary, meaty monsters. Or maybe bombs.
>>
>>55078728
Wesley Burt is such a fantastic artist

why does this shit get a pass tho
fuck me this fucking image pisses me off
>>
>>55083990

unthinkable

wretched

i'm aghast
>>
>>55083990
Why is Jace asian.
>>
>>55044251
I must want mah niggah Sorin back, he tot fucking punked.
>>
>>55083990
And people keep telling me the art has gotten better over the years.
>>
Guys.
what if K'rrik was still alive after Urza telefragged him and he used his fast time bubble to perfect the shit out of his Phyrexian army? I do not know how much they checked the time zones for Phyrexian purging since they're a bitch to enter and to traverse.
>>
>>55088546
K'rrik was cool, but I liked the other guy better as far as Phyrexians in that novel went. Gorrig, I think his name was.
>>
Design inconsistency is the real villain of MtG

Where do I go to see whether a set is considered good or bad? I'd like to know before I waste money and time of myself and others
>>
>>55063534
why can't wizards hire writers with this minimum of creativity? I would love a story like this
>>
>>55078528
I see several options in TPB, which is the one you would say is the most complete?
>>
>>55078488
I got my books off of libgen
>>
>>55090419
Just check the overall price of it around 3 months after the release. Higher means the set was liked more.
>>
>>55041301
Hopefully soon. I've been waiting for Baron Sengir to use that portal in his basement for who knows how lon-

Oh. You meant the Phyrexians. Bleh. Hopefully never. Man, people complain about Bolas being overused, but that dude ain't got nothin' on the Hellraiser Borg wannabes and their goddamn 'we can rebuild our entire empire from a single drop of oil and that shit's been tracked across half the mutiverse' bullshit golden ticket to reenter the plot no matter how many times they get beat down. I was sick of them and how hard they were wanked by Mercadian Masques, and I'm still sick of them even after all of the Modern era blocks.
>>
>>55067797
My absolute favorite card of all time, and I've played since Revised in 94.
>>
i can't believe you faggots care about the "story" of mtg
>>
>>55097146
>Stop liking what I don't like!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
cry harder.
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.