[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /tg/, I want to make something. I want to make a Free Open

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: Richard Stallman.png (371KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
Richard Stallman.png
371KB, 400x600px
Okay /tg/, I want to make something. I want to make a Free Open Source Card-game (FOSC), one that's Free as in Freedom. People will be free to fork their own versions of the game, redistribute, or alter it in any manner, provided of course that the people playing agree on the set of rules being used.

Ideally, me and whomever else is working on it will simply list card names and details in a list, with simple PNGs that can be printed out or ported to a piece of software to play online with (think pic related, but a transparent background to be swapped out for whatever art the player wants), and as it grows "Official art" when available would be a free use donated image.

Source rule on printing cards would simply be:
1: To not alter the card mechanics, costs, names, etc. from the set of rules being used.
2: To either:
(a): Cut cards uniformly, use paper that is thick enough to not allow transparency from the back, use uniform paper thickness and types
(b): Ensure all cards can fit in a sleeve, ensure all sleeves are uniform.
3: To make sure that cards are clear to identify and differentiate.

I've yet to decide on the actual standards and mechanics, pic related is just a mock-up to grab attention and portray the idea.

So I ask, would there be an interest in this, whether here or elsewhere, and if the former is true, what sort of stuff or ideas would you like to see in it?
>>
>I've yet to decide on the actual standards and mechanics

lol
>>
The point of this thread is how good it is, but trying to work towards something that is a good idea and won't try to be cardboard cocaine with high costs.
>>
I like the idea but that's overtly raw. You need to come up with at least 1 set of rules and cards fitting that rules before pitching it.

The overall concept is good but the feeling I have is that you thought of it in the last hour and typed it out on /tg/. This means you are highly likely to flake out of this idea within a week.

Show some actual work, and some creativity, and then you will find people willing to contribute.

How you pitch an idea is almost always more important than the idea itself in getting traction. Bad ideas with good pitches get funded or get followers, good ideas with bad pitches don't.

Best of luck, OP.
>>
>>55040984
I mainly wanted to make sure the raw idea would work before pursuing something that could take a few weeks to get something that could be shown. I was tossing over the idea for a few weeks now while doing mindless tasks, so half typed out on /tg/ half precontemptlated. Before I come back and actually present a product it'll be at least something solid for people to get an idea and build off of.
>>
>>55040920
>PNGs
lol
>>
>>55041120
I just mean...If the final idea is to make it free-licensed, present it in a way that's at least interesting, else nobody has a real reason to give a damn, be it to help you or just give feedback.
>>
>>55040920
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Free Beer,
is in fact, No-Cost Beer, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Copyright-Encumbered Beer.
Beer is not free unto itself, but rather a product of a recipe
of a fully private formula made useful by the brewer, bottler
and various marketing campaigns comprising a full product as defined by world patent agencies.

Many thrill seekers drink a particular recipe of beer every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the type of beer
which is widely drank at parties is often called "Free Beer", and many of its imbibers are
not aware that it is essentially a copyrighted product, locked-down by the brand owner.

There really is beer, and these people are drinking it, but it is just a
product of the brand they choose. Beer is property: the beverage in the system
that inhibits the brain's resources to the other thoughts that you have.
The beer is an essential part of a proprietary system, freedomless by definition;
it is only consumed in the context of a complete, private patent. No-Cost beer is
normally drank in the company of friends: the supporters of a freedom-denying corporation
that basically protects its own interest with copyrights, or Copyright-Encumbered Beer. All the so-called "Free Beer"
distributions are really distributions of No-Cost Beer.
>>
File: 1497836844752.jpg (159KB, 639x827px) Image search: [Google]
1497836844752.jpg
159KB, 639x827px
>>55040920
Now i don't want this thread disappearing in hope that you/others will do something interesting, but probably nothing will appear because there are even no sketches.

This makes me sad
>>
File: 1495857347812.jpg (3MB, 1474x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1495857347812.jpg
3MB, 1474x1600px
>>55040920
Nice! That would be awesome
>>
File: 5QJOSM1.jpg (236KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
5QJOSM1.jpg
236KB, 1280x720px
>>55041120
Tossing nonsense to help creativity and because why not.

How about a background story where Stallman is a giant wizard returning from the mountains to a village that has been overrun by an evil lord, chaining everyone with specific "spells", and you can set free someone by a matching combo of freedom spells?

You can get two set of cards, the enslaving cards and the freedom type, winning points represented by the amount of people you free.
>>
File: saintignucius.jpg (32KB, 321x445px) Image search: [Google]
saintignucius.jpg
32KB, 321x445px
For the glory of St. Ignucius
>>
File: 1454071587763.png (2MB, 1079x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1454071587763.png
2MB, 1079x1497px
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.