[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (351KB, 1329x1177px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
351KB, 1329x1177px
My little brother and sister want me to DM for them in two days. 5th edition DND. I said yes.

I have never played 5e. I have experience with 3.5 and pathfinder.

They are 14 and 13. They will have friends around that age.

What do I do? Is this feasible?
>>
>>55032574
It's impossible, kill yourself now to avoid the struggle.
>>
>>55032574
its almost exactly the same, calm down. Roll a d20 add any bonuses against a target number. It won't be that hard. Especially for level 1-3. By the time the group gets that far (if it gets that far) you will have figured out the nuances.
>>
>>55032574
>I have never played 5e. I have experience with 3.5 and pathfinder.
You'll be fine. They are very similar, especially from the DM side. Only real difference is when you qualitatively judge that circumstances make something easier, say "you get advantage on that" and when you qualitatively judge that circumstances make something make something harder say "you get disadvantage." Other than that, they are largely the same game, and experience with one will carry over from one to the other.
>>
>>55032574
5e is very similar to 3.PF.

Also, just use a pre-written adventure.
>>
Go find those Monster's Den games. They're hosted on all the flash game sites still alive.
Literally follow their mold. Rooms and encounters. That's it. Some encounters may be avoided, but certain ones must be fought to reach a lower level in the dungeon, where better loot resides.
Run the combat damage numbers, figure out the average damage taken. Use dice percent, get the standard deviation. Find the damage +/- in the first and second deviation. Use these numbers to balance number of healing fountains and ease of access.

Etc.
Fuck the narrative. Going into a dungeon and killing stat blocks is enough. If they feel like they're winning, but they're earning their wins, but still need strategy to avoid running out of health, they're having fun.
For entry-level players, fun is what will bring them back to the table. Then you can worry about narrative, preventing OOC in IC and similar.

t. Guy who ran a session for two kids, 8 and 10. Building characters was too complicated, but telling them to roll dice and yelling damage numbers until [miniature] died was enough to make them excited about "Dungeons & Dragons"
>>
>>55032574
It's the same shit.

You can't individually improve skills anymore, they have a flat bonus. There are 6 saves instead of three. Instead of just adding numbers to a d20, now sometimes you also roll the d20 twice and take the higher or lower roll.

That's about all you need to remember, from a DMing perspective.

And just read the feats and abilities being used, because none of those are the same.
>>
>>55032574
Why the hell did you accept if you have no prior knowledge of it? Dunderhead. Get a prewritten module that will take your hand through it. Nincompoop.
>>
>>55032574
Run Lost Mine of Phandelver, don't be afraid to get stupid and immature or let them be "awesome" doing stupid shit once in a while, they're a bunch of middle schoolers they'll eat it up.
>>
>>55032988
>5e is very similar to 3.PF.
>Also, just use a pre-written adventure.
This seems to be the concise version of the consensus.

>>55032574
>What do I do?
Was there something else worrying you?

Wait a tick...
>want me to DM for them in two days
>I have never played 5e
>I have experience with
Have you never DM'ed before?
That would kind of explain everything.
If that's the case, read the book, listen to these anons and loosely follow a pre-written module, relax, have fun, and accept that you'll mess stuff up and they will still have fun.
Any specific questions, just ask.

>>55033987
>t. Guy who ran a session for two kids, 8 and 10. Building characters was too complicated
Never ran a ttrpg for kids, but I'd just make a stack of "cool" pregens for them to pick from.
>>
>>55036640
What a jackanape OP must be, a silly goose if ever I saw one me ol' grimblebanded collywobbler
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.