[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tropes Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Titlecard_S1E13_cityofthieves.jpg (16KB, 310x175px) Image search: [Google]
Titlecard_S1E13_cityofthieves.jpg
16KB, 310x175px
Let's make a thread to appreciate, justify, and explain all our favorite troups. Also pointing out places they're done well.

I know /tg/ is largely anti-cliché, but i think things often become cliché for a reason.

One of my favorite troups is the City of Thieves. Conan did it well with Zamora and Skyrim did it pretty ok with Riften (with a few mods, at least).

I want to make a game where there's a City of Thieves that only thieves would know how to get to, and its location is a pretty well-kept secret.

How would a city like this feed itself though? Are slave farmers the only viable explanation?

It probably wouldn't have any government, and I imagine the only permanent residents would be business owners. People would probably have to either buy food grown by slaves, steal it from other thieves, or make their slaves grow it. It would likely have a huge swap meet/bazaar in the center where thieves exchange and buy/sell stolen goods.

What would a code of conduct look like here? Do you think the "citizens" would enforce any kind of honor code thats probably often broken, like "dont steal in the city"?
>>
>>55028124
>Do you think the "citizens" would enforce any kind of honor code thats probably often broken, like "dont steal in the city"?
I actually think people would follow this code, i can only imagine the paranoia of living in city populated only by thieves, without it the city would colapse
>>
>>55028124
>the only permanent residents would be business owners.
Quite the opposite, businesses and their owners would be the first to leave a city full of thieves.
>>
>>55028972
Not if they're mafiosos catering to thieves.

In this idea, the city was built by thieves. Probably started as a thieves guild hideout and expanded from there
>>
File: gallery-3-3.ce8c.jpg (1MB, 2048x1363px)
gallery-3-3.ce8c.jpg
1MB, 2048x1363px
>>55028124
The trouble with the concept is that thieves by nature need someone to steal from. If they can't steal in the city of thieves, how are they supposed to make a living? The average thief probably doesn't travel much.

I think the easiest approach would be a pirate/smuggler's haven. It would be a secluded cove or something where pirates found it convenient to lay low after a raid. Some of the pirates settled down and started gambling dens to cater to other pirates and you end up with a whole town where only people in the "business" know how to reach. Pirates generally have codes anyway and are used to working together, and smugglers deal with the food issue. Treasure hunters and more professional thieves might be drawn to the black market there. You could apply the same principle to bandits and land-based smugglers.

Otherwise I think it would have to be a "city" that is somehow attached to an existing city where thieves can do their job. The most obvious example would be an "undercity" in the sewers and tunnels where thieves hang out, but they go above ground to the regular city for their work. Since this isn't a real city the food question is irrelevant.
>>
>>55028124

I once wrote something like that; a great Thieves guild as taken from adventure time. Thieves stole from each other constantly and that's what made them so good once they went outside their city. Also it trained them in setting and deatcivating traps for guarding their stuff. It was a brutal all vs all where only the best could prevail.

Primarily, money got into the city by 1. Raiding other lands or doing thief jobs; or 2. Stealing from low level thieves that thought that came to the city, following the dream of being the best thief ever.

Yeah, there are also places where you can order food, drinks, etc, but everybody is so paranoid with getting robbed or drugged that only the best (or the worst) thieves dare to go to a restaurant.
>>
This isn't a fantasy trope at all and barely /tg/ related but I love rich spoil brat characters who are seemingly good at everything but then it's shown they drive like a damn maniac with the same level of confidence they do everything else.
>>
File: bahb.png (480KB, 1302x864px)
bahb.png
480KB, 1302x864px
I like the "mage summons ancient evil to beat the eviler ancient evil" or "party befriends lawful/neutral evil to defeat chaotic evil" type stuff
>>
>>55028124
It's coterminous with the city of everyone else. In fact, there are Five Cities. The City of Nobles, the City of Priests, the City of Merchants, the City of Bureaucrats... and the City of Thieves.

Which City you live in, which City you see, depends on many things. Very few live in more than one City. It is said that only the King of Thieves lives in all five.
>>
File: jasminesaved.jpg (403KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
jasminesaved.jpg
403KB, 960x540px
I'm always a fan of rescuing a damsel in distress. I like it best when there's a romance involved, and the damsel involved has a likable personality.
I blame pic related.
>>
I always thought "city of thieves" was a derogatory nickname. Like calling Detroit "the City of Ruins" or NYC "The City of Hipsters".

The city of thieves is just a corrupt shithole. Conan only meets thieves and rogues in Zamora because he's a thief himself, and hangs around with other adventuring lowlifes.
>>
>>55031456
What city do the workers live in?
>>
>>55028124
Read up on the Pirate Republic of Nassau.
>>
>>55028124
>city of thieves
>The city of shipwreck, hidden in shipwreck cove on shipwreck isle
>>
>>55028124
I don't know how much it's used, but i always get rock hard when
>evil dude but with some moral standards/code
>protagonist gets betrayed by some cunt
>cunt goes to tyrant with info/army/resources
>tyrant thanks cunt for resources, takes them, then kills the cunt as "I might be evil, but I fucking hate a traitor"
I guess the honorable bad guy in general.
I like an enemy who you know you have to stop, but can respect the person despite that.
>>
>>55031456
this is pretty good. Maybe i would change the bureaucrats one because is hard to run in a game.

>>55035925
in all of them i guess. They work for the city's "guild" while they try to get as close to the top of the pyramyd as allowed
>>
File: 1385922039966.png (431KB, 640x478px)
1385922039966.png
431KB, 640x478px
>>55036084
>>
>>55032272
>tfw want to run Barbarians of Lemuria
>Want to play it straight with oily barbarians and powerful(and beautiful) Amazones
>And of course the damsel in distress plotlines with an horrible beast or cruel Sorcerer

Hope no one will accuse me of being sexist/no original, I have no problem having the amazone being the savior
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.