[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 59

File: YV49tQ6.jpg (2MB, 3536x2260px) Image search: [Google]
YV49tQ6.jpg
2MB, 3536x2260px
Can we talk about /m/-related RPG systems?

Giant robots, badass vehicles and tanks, power armors, manned mecha, self-aware mecha, anything goes.

Post your favorite mecha games, mecha pictures and table stories.
>>
File: 1481467349218.jpg (371KB, 1920x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1481467349218.jpg
371KB, 1920x1357px
>>
Battle Century G is my favourite mecha RPG. It's pretty much Super Robot Wars with dice, but you can adjust it to a lot of subgenres. Especially if you have the supplement book.
>>
File: photo_2017-02-09_21-50-41.jpg (117KB, 1165x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-02-09_21-50-41.jpg
117KB, 1165x1280px
>>
>>55006813
That's the Thai game, huh?
>>
File: 1486327311731.jpg (249KB, 1920x1723px) Image search: [Google]
1486327311731.jpg
249KB, 1920x1723px
>>55006802

>Battle Century G

I've seen it get some mad praise around /tg/ but I don't really know what the system itself is like. The drivethrurpg reviews don't help much either.
>>
I know that a fairly long running quest on /qst/ has been using Mekton Zeta.
>>
File: 1485568536163.jpg (215KB, 1384x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1485568536163.jpg
215KB, 1384x1157px
>>
File: 1484428626107.png (744KB, 932x920px) Image search: [Google]
1484428626107.png
744KB, 932x920px
>>
File: 1453242437039.jpg (384KB, 850x703px) Image search: [Google]
1453242437039.jpg
384KB, 850x703px
spaceships can be /m/ too
>>
File: 1481281469366.jpg (57KB, 357x341px) Image search: [Google]
1481281469366.jpg
57KB, 357x341px
>>
I'm a massive, shameless fan of Mekton Zeta. It's clunky, but great fun. There's a discord server I made dedicated to Mekton, though it's pretty turned into a mecha and hangout general, if anyone is interested in the link.
>>
File: 1455404366611.jpg (1MB, 1114x1106px) Image search: [Google]
1455404366611.jpg
1MB, 1114x1106px
>>55007815

I'd be down, post that shit son.
>>
>>55007909

Oh, obligatory reminder. Don't play or support Battletech/Mechwarrior in any way. The entire company is populated by criminals and fraudsters. They've been stealing since the very first day of the game back in the 1980s, and they're still stealing company profit to line their own pockets.
>>
>>55007909
https://discord.gg/J7TyZg
Got a surprising number of people in there, though only a few regulars tend to talk. I'm Forever a GM in there, and I'm always down to talk shop. Check the pins for resources if you need em.
>>
File: 1481980239459.jpg (149KB, 736x1003px) Image search: [Google]
1481980239459.jpg
149KB, 736x1003px
>>55008271

Neat, I'll check it out.
>>
>>55007997

Huh?
>>
>>55008637
Probably an asshurt Macross fan.
>>
>>55006765

Ok, so if we're going to have a first class mecha game system, then we need a few things.

First, we have to be able to handle wildly different scales. You have a man-sized character moving at human speed, giant robots walking as well, tanks going faster, and supersonic jets. Different sizes, different speeds, different weapons ranges, and yet it all has to work together. And then you get into space or under water, and suddenly that's a whole different set of challenges. So what's the time scale? How does damage work?

And what about when you have gestalt mecha that merge into a supermech?

Next, you want piloting rules that make sense but aren't overcomplicated. Preferably with room for add-ons and cyberware and such.

And, ideally, a construction system so you can have a wide array of types, plus the ability to customize player-owned mechs.

Now normally, right about now I'd be singing the praises of GURPS, because in that system most of the problems are already solved. But currently your mecha choices are either to play the clunky 3rd ed which has a full write-up and connects to the shitty vehicle design system, or a custom system for fourth edition that you'd have to mostly roll yourself. GURPS Spaceships is a fantastic, elegant system for creating and running spaceships. There are even partial rules for mecha already in there. But it's not very far along.

So at this point I'd recommend a dedicated system and hope that GURPS gets more complete mecha treatments in the future.

I'm doing one myself but it's nowhere close to ready.
>>
>>55008848

At a bare minimum, Battle has done all of these things:

Battletech stole the name "Droids" from Lucas and got sued.

Battletech stole all of their original mecha designs from Japanese sources and got C&D'd.

Battletech got sued by Harmony Gold over stealing the Macross designs in the early 90s and lost.

Battletech got sued by the authors for non payment in the 90s. Look up Michael Stackpole.

Battletech got sued AGAIN by Harmony gold in the 2000s for using the stolen Macross designs even after the first case.

Battletech got sued by authors and artists in the 2000s for non payment.

Battletech has $800,000 dollars in cash (intended to pay the above authors and artists) stolen by the company owner to make home rennovations. That owner STILL RUNS THE COMPANY.

Battletech employs an anime loving, child rapist who goes by the name of "mad capellan' on their forums who represets the company by posting with loli images on their official forums.

Battletech is currently being sued by Harmony gold for a THIRD TIME because they're trying to use the Macross artwork again. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPou5WuE-Y4&feature=youtu.be

The entire company is sick. Don't support them. Destroy their fan base. Get their employees to quit, it's already happened to their last line developer and assistant line developer. Real mecha fans can and should drive americans out of the mecha genre entirely, and the battletech franchise is the perfect place to start.
>>
I remember having a hand in playtesting Chromestrike, which is more in the vein of a rules-lite Armored Core or Front Mission style of mech, if you into that sort of thing.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/ChromeStrike
>>
>>55006765
Really enjoy Chris Perrin's Mecha. Its more rules light story game, trying to get across an episodic mecha anime feel. Does a neat interaction between the pilot stats and mech stats. Takes a generic approach in terms of building, components, etc. that has some customization but more abstractly than a lot of people prefer but I've found is easier to teach people than any of the more accountantech style. The battle map is an interesting idea, we had to add terrain houserules to make it a bit more varied.
>>
>>55009024
I can believe some of the other stuff but the clashes with Harmony Gold I suspect are Harmony Gold being asses rather than the guys doing Battletech being shifty. Though Asshole vs Asshole clashes are still a possibility.
>>
File: miroslav-petrov-robot3.jpg (267KB, 1075x1300px) Image search: [Google]
miroslav-petrov-robot3.jpg
267KB, 1075x1300px
>>
>>55009024
>Real mecha fans can and should drive americans out

Someone's extremely salty.
>>
>>55009024
>Battletech stole the name "Droids" from Lucas and got sued.

>The term "Droid" was first used in the science fiction story "Robots of the World! Arise!" by Mari Wolf, published in If: Worlds of Science Fiction in July 1952.

Lucas arts got the copywrite, but they did not create the word.
>>
File: Sentinel info 01.jpg (2MB, 2560x1658px) Image search: [Google]
Sentinel info 01.jpg
2MB, 2560x1658px
>>
I want to run a Jovian Chronicles campaign but the way it handles difficulty checks and how insanely lethal guns are in combat is a bit hard to manage. I quite like how mecha damage against humans is on a 10X scale though

I own the book for Mekton II. Is Zeta any good? Because II looks incredibly clunky.
>>
>>55011290
To be clear, Lucasfilm owns the -trademark- for the term.
>>
>>55011406
Which probably no longer exists.
>>
>>55011854
Um, what? How did you come to that assumption?
>>
>>55006765

Don't let players design their own mecha if you play Mekton, or at least police them heavily. It's fun to stat mechs, but some options are just flat-out broken.
>>
>>55006802
>>55006908

How would one acquire Battle Century G?
>>
>>55006930

To be fair it runs with bullshit houserules and some things scrapped entirely to make it easier to run as a quest.

Kaiser Glare is the most broken thing ever.
>>
>>55006908
It's very simple d10-based. It's fast and easy to play. It has some major flaws; there are certain options that are just BETTER than others, and higher-level play turns into a bit of a damage race/rocket tag game. Certain builds also crack the game wide open. The on-foot stuff is absolute garbage, but it's not really the point of the system, so that hardly bothers me.

>>55011935
I believe it's still free on the guy's blog, unless you want the version with artwork, in which case it's on DriveThruRPG.
>>
>>55011914

Would running a game using pre-made Mechs be better?

>>55011370

I'm also really interested in playing JC, but could never find a group. There's also very little talk about it.
>>
>>55011874
Because normally after a word becomes part of normal speech it can no longer be owned.
Case in point gw loosing ownership of Imperial guard, and space marine and thusly changing the names of those factions.
>>
>>55012109

Honestly, the more you make in advance, the better...but there's a caveat. The FIRST mech I designed for Mecha Space Pirate Quest, the Pumpkinseed, ended up being very underpowered for its role (I played that off with plot as a lesson on corporate shenanigans, it still had a few strong points and was mostly designed to fight pirates anyway). It also just wasn't very exciting. The second version, Pumpkinseed II, ended up being a lot of fun to fuck around with both when the players were piloting it and when I used it as an enemy elite mook, because by that point I had some idea of how combat tended to go and how to customize weapons. That said, I still have a really noticeable problem with power creep and fights being over in only a few rounds, so...
>>
>>55006765
Open D6/Mini Six is actually really good for mecha games, look up Heavy Gear D6 for proof. I also wrote a home brew for Jovian Chronicles in D6 that I'll post later if the thread is still around because I'm phoneposting at the moment.
>>
>>55012412
>Because it happened to a relatively unknown British game company it happened to one of the largest, most iconic, media studios in the United States.

>http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:79alax.6.5

They still have several different living trademarks on the term for various different mediums and purposes.

Add Disney to the picture and those trademarks aren't going away any time soon.
>>
>>55006908
I both love and hate BCG for a lot of reasons, I love it for its simplicity and fast paced action, it probably has one of the best combat systems of any mecha RPG I've ever seen. But I also hate it for its surprisingly limited customization options, anemic weapon selection, maiming rules that disable EVERY upgrade/weapon in an ENTIRE location (and BOTH arms are ONE location, it becomes stupid for Gundam type games where 90% of weaponry is handheld so everyone just shoots each others arms first and foremost), the mental gymnastics you have to play in order to justifiably refluff the completely fucking out there upgrade options, and all the things listed in >>55012016

I also think that Mecha vs Kaiju for Fate is a greatly underappeciated mecha system, so take that as you will.
>>
>>55012681
I can at least solve the Gundam problem. I played in a Build Fighters campaign, and the GM had use "Right Arm, Left Arm, Head, Torso," and then if you had some weird setup, like Backpack or Legs or something, you could have those instead of a different slot.

Basically that at least is easily fixable without shattering the system. Maiming isn't THAT bad if you design your robot with options in multiple slots and are willing to rename the slots to make sense.
>>
>>55009024
>Real mecha fans can and should drive americans out of the mecha genre entirely

Ahhh, so this is what he's going on about.
>>
>>55011854

This depends on the distinctiveness of the trademarked term. In GW's case, the courts ruled that the term space marine wasn't distinctive enough because it's used by too many other media. Essentially, they never owned the trademark in the first place.

GW didn't wait for court challenges to clear the decks of faction names that weren't trademarkable.

Unlike copyrights and patents, trademarks don't care about prior art. Also, two companies can own the same trademark if they're in different industries.

IMO droid is probably still a Lucasfilm property.

Btw ownership issues can be hairy too. Macross's us distributor licensed FASA to use its designs. Then years later, it turned out that they never owned the rights in the first place, so the sublicensing deal was void. This came to light when FASA sued a minis company that had a license from Japan. It turned out that they not FASA had the valid license. So FASA pulled the art.

Fast forward, and there have been repeated deals and counterdeals to try to straighten this all out.
>>
>>55013844
And harmony gold has actually just received a court decision that they actually don't have any rights to the stuff they're suing the Battletech publishers over
>>
>>55013844
>IMO
Your opinion isn't really needed when we can look up and confirm that their trademark is still alive and kicking.

While that might change in the future, it is still very much the property of Lucasfilm.
>>
Alright /tg/, shoot me your best custom mecha names. Whether they be official designations, or just nicknames your pilots give their personal rides.
>>
>>55014173
Always have some kind of theme going, don't just name shit whatever. You can have different themes for different factions, but it makes things feel more consistent and can say something about the faction in question by their naming scheme.

Nicknames are an exception, since those are individual they reflect more on the individual who named it, obviously, so those don't necessarily have to fit the faction theme or any theme in particular.
>>
>>55008848
Nope, actual Macross fans are angry about Harmony Gold and sympathetic towards Btech, we're all well aware of how that all went down.
>>
File: Wheelin Spider by weremole.jpg (281KB, 612x870px) Image search: [Google]
Wheelin Spider by weremole.jpg
281KB, 612x870px
>>
>>55009024
>The entire company is sick.
>CGL is the same company as FASA
You are a silly little man. That said, CGL are trash, so steal all their shit. In the immortal words of /srg/, do not buy CGL books.
>>
>>55009024
When HG shills the board.
>>
>>55009279
New developements show HG getting fucked by Tatsunoko from the get go as Tatsunoko did not have the rights to the 41 macross characters to begin with.

Will need to wait to see what the fallout is from this nugget of information.
>>
File: Libra.jpg (170KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Libra.jpg
170KB, 720x1080px
>>55014173
Nicknames should be thanks to extraordinary acts. Like how Char only got his nome de gurre after Loum.

For instance, an ace named 'The Needle' earned the name after he shot down five enemy suits in a particularly clustered patch of the asteroid belt.
>>
>>55014173
I'm an Armored Core fan, so I've got plenty of these. Barring the ones named after mythical weapons, of course.
Horse With No Name.
Spearfisher.
Powdermilk Biscuits.
Vagrant Cannon.
Ghost of Taka.
Crocodile Rock.
18-Pounder.
Six Special.
>>
>>55006765
Heavy Gear d6

Someone took the good, yet clunky Heavy Gear system and setting and adapted it to run on the West End Games d6 system, better known for the popular Star Wars and Ghost Busters games.

https://banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/
>>
>>
>>55012467
Please do
>>
>>
>>55012467
>>55015726
I'm home, here's JCD6, based on some formulas and shit that were used for HGD6.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-rs__06lBfEOuAQHXKjt69XHNkKYEYk0gstvzA3sV00/edit?usp=sharing

I was going to tweak some numbers a while ago, but never got around to it and just sort of stopped working on it completely.
>>
>>55009024
>Battletech stole all of their original mecha designs from Japanese sources and got C&D'd.
That's not at all what happened. They licensed those designs, just like Hasbro did for Jetfire, but Harmony Gold decided to be a copyright troll, causing them to technically lose the rights to the Macross stuff (and I think they pulled the other anime designs out of fear of being sued again? not so clear here)

The irony being the Harmony Gold doesn't own the rights to those designs anyways, just the distribution rights for the original anime
>>
>>55016433
>The irony being the Harmony Gold doesn't own the rights to those designs anyways, just the distribution rights for the original anime

Its this weird problem where Harmony Gold swears they have the rights for almost anything Macross related. The transformable Super(?) Valkyrie toy used for Jetfire is one of the rare exceptions and Hasbro is big enough that HG can not bully them (and even then Hasbro does not include any official instructions on transforming the retro style Jetfire toys into gerwalk mode).

Harmony Gold is the primary reason companies can't do international releases stuff related to 7, Zero, Frontier and Delta.
>>
>>55016877
Recent developments, specifically earlier this month on the 16th, have completely fucked HG over. They've accepted a ruling that they own nothing of those mecha designs, character designs, nothing but some distribution rights, and in 4 years that's running out and there's no way in hell they're getting any licenses from the Japanese renewed with how much the Jap side hates them for the legal bullshit they keep pulling.

Robotech is dead, HG's claims are done. They get nothing. They lose. Good day, sir.
>>
>>55011914
What are some of the most broken mechs you've seen players make?
>>
>>55017017
Not him, but there's some crazy bullshit you can pull with infinite burst beam weapons and one-shot solar system destroying nukes, real Pun-Pun levels of broken but all perfectly legal by the rules. It's pretty infamous stuff among oldschool mekton grognards, and why none will tell you to just let plays build without HEAVY GM oversight.
>>
>>55016980
I mean, Robotech might survive if they can actually manage to pool together all the stuff they designed for themselves and reboot it or something, but I can't see them doing that since they tend to just bank on nostalgia bucks and lawsuit money and the last time they tried to kickstart an original project, it didn't get funded.
>>
>>55017065
HG treats Robotech the same way Hollywood treats Fantastic 4.

No one has any real interest in doing anything with it, and anything that does get tossed out is just a token effort to hold on to rights.
>>
>>55017083
The problem is that HG has the trademarks and the TV footage of original TV, and other parties have everything else. It's extremely likely to be why Frontier and Delta did their best to completely scrub things like the VF-1 design or the UNS logo.

Now, things could be done if the American anime industry was less completely fucked. HG's trademark troll toll, while sizable, isn't outlandish by toy and cartoon standards; USMC paid them off for Plus, as did Animeigo and ADV for original TV (I'm guessing Animeigo got favorable terms in exchange for unfucking the masters, and ADV was just burning boom era cash.) But the industry is so fucked that that's not an option. The anime industry, and especially robot cartoons, is so fucked that just releasing Super Space Fortress Megafrontier and Super Space Fortress Walkuere Delta has been considered but passed on by at least two separate companies with no real thought to lawsuit issues. Remember how Code Geass was a runaway hit for the medium, never mind the genre? I've seen warehouses packed with it like Indiana Jones sequel hooks.
>>
>>55017387
>It's extremely likely to be why Frontier and Delta did their best to completely scrub things like the VF-1 design or the UNS logo.
Both the VF-1 and all of its variants and the UN Spacy Logo were in the designs that Big West says Tatsunoko didn't have rights too. Hell, there was a whole episode where they flew around in VF-1s for training in Delta
>>
>>55017654
Trademarks are use-it-or-lose-it by country or customs union, not a matter of assignment. It's why I can have chalky Smarties and you can have chocolate Smarties, but cross the streams and lawsuits happen.

The training ep in Delta is a thing, but Satelight's also heavily invested in being able to rerender on the cheap, so...
>>
>>55017065
Worth mentioning that apparently they have good relations with the company that made Mospaeda, so those designs will probably remain accessible as well(and I could see them retaining the Southern Cross designs as well if only because that series is incredibly obscure in Japan)

It's only the Macross designs that are potentially problematic for them
>>
Look, we've got enough "fuck Harmony Gold" threads between /tg/ and /m/ talking legal speculation and all that jazz.

Let's get back to talking about actual mecha gaming, yeah?

Gundamfags: When you ran a Gundam game (you all did, admit it) did you use UC, and AU, or your own full blown OC Donut Steel AU?
>>
>>55017754
It'd want to run a UC, After War or Donut Steel game.
>>
>>55017754
I an an OC Super Robot Wars setting where the players were Shadow Mirrors who came in and fucked everything up, and wound up running afoul of Gilliam taking a break between Hero Senki and OG.

Then I played in a Gundam Build Fighters game that was super fun, where I played the guy who knew nothing about Gundams and made Knight Gundam Quixotic, which was a Knight Gundam glued to a horse.
>>
File: 38584_179254_1.jpg (55KB, 560x318px) Image search: [Google]
38584_179254_1.jpg
55KB, 560x318px
I've always had a fascination with scout/forward air controller/command vehicles, and logistical support vehicles.....but I've never run into a mechanism system that you can make this function without inverting its own asshole. Either they wind up far too expensive, totally ineffective, or impossible to account for with the rules....or all three.

Anybody with some thoughts/advice?
>>
>>55018019
SilCore.

If there's one thing SilCore is well known for, it's being one of the only, if not THE only, mecha RPG system that does combined arms almost seamlessly.
>>
>>55018069
How do you simplify it down mechanics-wise? Or do you just ignore all the small modifiers?>>55018069
>>
>>55018427
I'm not sure as to what you're talking about. It's pool of D6 pick highest, add mods, figure out margin of success if needed. It already is super simple.
>>
File: 1451187094985.png (459KB, 940x529px) Image search: [Google]
1451187094985.png
459KB, 940x529px
>>
>>55018465
Whe read the all the task modifersand subres threw me.

Do you recommend Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles? And what edition, 3 and 2 seem to be published respectively.
>>
>>55018551
>All the modiers and subtables threw me
>>
>>55018551
HG3 and JC2 are the same system, along with Tribe 8 2e, Gear Krieg 2e, and Core Command. The way it works is that you have the Silhouette Core Rulebook (SilCore Deluxe v3.1 is the latest version), and then the Player's Guide from the setting/game line of choice is there to tell you how to use those core rules to play in Heavy Gear/Jovian Chronicles/whatever.
>>
>>55018551
>>55018571
>All the modifers and subtables threw me
Not sure why they would "throw you," they all basically amount to "small advantage: +1, big advantage, +2" and there are less of them than your average d20 OGL game. You kind of want to keep those "small modifiers" because milking mods is basically how you stay alive, whether that be through a good defense or killing your opponents first.
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, Silhouette is INCREDIBLY deadly.

>Do you recommend Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles? And what edition, 3 and 2 seem to be published respectively.
HG and JC are the same system, just different settings. HG 3e and JC 2e are both Silhouette Core, aka SilCore, and are probably the most streamlined combat rules but the most retarded skill system. That you'll want to rip out of HG 2e/JC 1e. It ports over directly so don't worry about too much legwork.
>>
>>55018069
Thanks anon, I'll take a look at this.

For reference, a friend tried to run a game using an amalgamation of GURPS Space (mostly crunch) and Jovian Chronicles (mostly fluff). I tried to build a scout craft that focused on providing enhanced targeting for other craft, with a secondary function of providing some point-defence screening and/or ecm......the primary failing there was the seeming lack of rules for providing benefits to other PC characters or ships. Or maybe I was just stupid, that's always a possibility.
>>
When running Jovian Chronicles or Heavy Gear, how do you do military campaigns? Do you have battle after battle with role play in between?
>>
Ran an okay Armored Core oneshot. I should have thought more about the plot though. We only had a few hours so they did one mission, found some stuff and that1s about it.
>>
I'm a forever DM's that pretty sick of fantasy in general, so I'm looking for a good mech RPG system.

Is there one that's on the simple side (when it comes to actual play) but still provides a lot of choices during mech generation?
>>
>>55018900
>>55018749 here

I used Strike!

It combat system is a class based, setting neutral game, but using it for mech generation worked really well.

You don't have much freedom in setting the exact parameters, but you get to lots of choices to make.
>>
>>55018694
1) Watch lots of war movies and mecha anime where the protagonists are military (mainly UC Gundam, especially 08th MS Team)

2) Kind of depends on the faction. In HG the South I always felt worked better for PCs because of the autonomy the MILICIA gets on ops and their surprisingly loose organization (compared to today's military standards). War in general on Terra Nova is very oldschool, with a very Wild West feel to it. Hell the Southern MILICIA is even given minimum supplies and are EXPECTED to resupply themselves in the field through either scrupulous or unscrupulous means.

In Jovian Chronicles just due to the sheer vastness of space and the fact any communication to anyone of significant rank is going to take tens of minutes to hours just for a reply, fleets are given a strong degree of autonomy. IIRC Officers in the Jovian Armed Forces are trained to make split-second command decisions that would get a modern soldier court-martialed for acting well above his station, and their command structure in general encourages hot-shot individuality like it's a fucking reality TV show, it's great recruitment propaganda. It's even a thing in-universe that the JAF licenses model kits of famous ace Exos.

All this could make for compelling situations depending on how you use it. It's all intentionally written in such a way that the command structure and military discipline doesn't come down too hard on any PCs that act like, well, PCs. You just gotta read the fluff.

3) Most published adventures are written from the standpoint that most if not all PCs will be military. Check them out for some ideas.
>>
>>55018551
I would go for that d6 system, pretty good adaption and has the lore concentred in a good way. It seems D9 approves too.
https://banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/
>>
>>55009024
>The entire company is sick.

Ok . . .
Well at least let's enjoy mech
Well at least
>>
Jovian chronicles and heavy gear all day everyday.
>>
>>55016153
Has anyone an idea of how to fix the crap low damage scores for lasers and beam weapons?
>>
>>55020364
It would be vastly easier to understand the appeal if their were campaigns, but there's not a single play report on the internet, except some Russian guys play HG as a wargame.
>>
>>55020504
Guy who wrote that here.

One of the ways I was thinking of to fix that was give all the beam/laser weapons just another whole damn die of damage.

The problem was I was going by the HGd6 conversion formulas which doesn't take accuracy into account when determining damage dice, but in Silhouette accuracy and damage are intrinsically tied because damage is multiplied by MoS, which makes them far more powerful in Silhouette than in HGD6's math.

Additionally there's an optional rule in Open D6 and I think also Mini Six where for every 3 or 5 you beat your opponent's defense by you deal more damage, which would give beams an added benefit for having a higher accuracy.

So try that.
>>
>>55008887
I think you mean the brilliant mecha + robots + vehicles construction systems of 3rd. GURPS 4th over-complicated character creations and oversimplified vehicle creation, not to mentions that 4 future TLs are a little to tight to work with.
>>
>>55006765
Does anybody know if there are any good mecha RPGs translatet or written in german ?

I got some new players and i want to show them the glory of giant mechanized german kraut magic.

Or will i have to make-do with Shadowrun or Traveller ?
>>
>>55020364
Do either of those allow customization of mechs?
>>
>>55020827
They share one of the best customization systems out there.
>>
>>55020840
....do enlighten me
>>
>>55020840
me too, pleas.
>>
File: Gadget Guide - Mecha.pdf (1024KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Gadget Guide - Mecha.pdf
1024KB, 1x1px
Does this count? It requires Mutants & Masterminds 3e to work.
>>
>>55021366
This is the best system I have found for having both mechs and on foot stuff in the same game.
>>
File: BCG Module.pdf (42KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
BCG Module.pdf
42KB, 1x1px
Recently I ran this BCG module I wrote for friends - the PDF has stats for various mechs, pregen characters and NPCs. I left the rest blank and just improvised the details.

It was immensely fun, the PCs surfed the MTV satellite onto the moon, ended up fighting giant bouncy balls, and had a badass final battle with thematic SRW music. Feel free to use it yourself.
>>
>>55018664
that is strange silcore has rules for spotting for artilery and ECM/ECCM.
>>
>>55018551
>>55018571

the silcore tables may seem daunting until you realize like >>55018622 said it amounts to +-1 small difference, +-2 large difference and +-3 HUGE diference.

when the main mechanic is is rolling a pool of D6 and only keeping the highest roll this means your results will always be between 1-6 and a +3 is already half of the dice.
>>
>>55021081
>>55021094
>>55020840
not the same poster but.

silcore is an effect based game basically you determine first the mechanical game effects the machine will have. then you fluff it however you want.

so you can make nible mech with unlimited fuel and the ability to fly breaking the sound barrier. and you want it the size of a fighter pilot. you can do it. it is up to you to justify how it exist on your setting.

ok you can do it. then if you want to. you can calculate formulas that would give you a (not so accurate ) value for balancing fights (as balanced as challenge ratings i would say)

and also you can calculate an aproxímate monetary value of the machine.

here is the mechanical example on the core book
>>
>>55012681
>90% of weaponry is handheld
Guntank, Guncannon and the Mudrock said hi.
>>
>>55016433
The only reason HG won those old suits was that they settled out of court. HGs copyrights were never seriously challenged before now. This whole situation could have been solved decades ago if anyone had bothered to go through the process instead of giving up and paying them.
>>
>>55018988

i find it hard to have a wild west feel for heavy gear and jovian chronicles.

I would compare it to titanfall. titanfall has armies yes. Militia VS IMC but in multiplayer and in many aspects of the game you see a lot of mercenaries. the main antagonist is a merc working for IMC there are a lot of mercenary bands in multiplayer and the whole lot of the setting is called the frontier.

i don´t get that feeling in Heavy gear nor in Jovian chronicles.
>>
>>55022788
The badlans gives that feel honestly, scattered settlers trying to live independently while all kinds of rogues come and go trying to scape of the north or south,you even have angry natives freemen
>>
>>55022673
The last lawsuit they filed was dismissed with prejudice, IE it was ruled that HG are full of shit. That's what happens when you sue Hasbro and don't actually have a leg to stand on.

They currently have pending lawsuits against Piranha Studios and Harebrained Schemes who are both fighting them and in all likelihood HG is going to get BTFO.
>>
>>55022788
The Frontier is a big place, and it's only relatively recently that the Militia became a much more legitimate threat. 5 years after the pivotal Battle of Demeter, the Militia now controls at least a quarter of the Frontier. You are correct, though, that the Frontier is a mercenary's playground. You can get a lot of mileage when you're a certified Pilot with a Titan to your name.
>>
>>55022532
Ayyy, get a better PDF printer that's terrible.
>>
>>55011854
When the Droid phones (the specific model called Droid, by Motorola) were first coming out, there were public statements about having to license the name "Droid" from LucasFilm.
>>
File: not smiling.png (455KB, 582x477px) Image search: [Google]
not smiling.png
455KB, 582x477px
>>55009024
Real mecha fans can and should drive americans out of the mecha genre entirely,
>>
File: mechanical example.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
mechanical example.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>55022532
>>55023309

fuck microsoft pdf printer
>>
File: acati.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
acati.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55018982
Here's the "character sheet" I made for a player who was using a long range "control specialist" sniper mech, focused on forcing enemy positions with both soft and hard control.

I ran out of time and didn't have the chance to find art for them, woulda been cool.
>>
>>55022813
yeah but the badlands basically amounts to what i feel is like real life Africa it is basically a sector of the planet where there is less control. you get to be a merc and all without problems. But you wont get the cowboy bounty hunting gold-seeking feeling.

I always get the feeling that if you go cowboy in Heavy Gear you will get either the northern or the southern version of the Interpol after you. so I hope you like sand because sand is all you will see if you misbehave.

Jovian is more open in that regard but if you want to be a "free" man you have to be a meteor prospector from the belt. again the same problem that heavy gear has "i sure hope you like dead rocks"

I am not much into military intrigue or drama that most of the Mecha settings have. and adventure is pretty hard to come by. usually the most adventurous Mecha setting i have seen is Titanfall.

>I really want to play in HG or JC but i find it hard for it to acomódate adventure themes.
>>
>>55024326
It's hard to extract politics out of certain mecha settings. You wouldn't have fighting mechs without them, anyway.
>>
>>55023649
To be fair, Harmony Gold is a bunch of douchebags and the reason that we don't have Macross anywhere else in the world. Even after two redesigns they're still trying to wring money from Battletech over their stolen shitty cartoon from 30 years ago.
>>
File: hardsuit_by_sttheo-d4lwo51.jpg (121KB, 900x815px) Image search: [Google]
hardsuit_by_sttheo-d4lwo51.jpg
121KB, 900x815px
>>55024326
Well, I only see you lack imagination my man, the badlands are rife with cities, oasias and all that, lots of cities in South for example are pretty corrupt and not that well administrated, good place to be hired as marshal in for example around Zaragoza, any Emirate or ex- Human Alliance territory. You can asault or protect trains, caravans or whatever, there are barnabies insted of cattle, any badlands oasias tower needs from time to time some plucky men to save them from the next collection of undesirables. Also dunno from where you get the North and south interpol thingies, they are know to recruit (specially the south) ex-bandits for proxy combats between the coalitions, and heck, every block or even city is
maneuvring to get some advantage over others, even in they own faction, there is plenty of oportunities for some one than owns military hardware to execute the law for a couple of hundreds of credits if that's your thing, in the north, south or any badland power and unless you kill lots of civvies or attack the police/army outright they would not spend money searching someone in the badlands.
The setting doesn't lack anything for a good sci fi western with mechs, perhaps aliens instead of natives and an abundance of starships, but for the rest? It's all there mate.
>>
>>55024919
perhaps you are right. and I lack imagination on that regard. but what you just said basically boils down to >>55024362 (politics) Heavy Gear certainly lacks in exploration because everything in the planet is mapped. by Interpol i meant there is PaxSec and the Southern SIU. (I don´t know if there is a northern equivalent). These organizations have probably the same rate of effectiveness of real live organizations. (not very good). Still you don´t see any modern cowboys in this day and age. and in Heavy Gear every lawless action would be considered Terrorism. your PC would probably be terrorists. at most they would be the A-Team or some semi corrupt cops.

the closest comparison to another media i would make is Heavy Gear being like Black Lagoon and the Badlands being a big Roanapur. There is plenty of fun to be had. But there is something missing in the exploration of the unknown, the trailblazing and the colonization of new land that is part of the wild west as well.
>>
Is there a single Jovian Chornicles/Heavy Gear actual play podcast around?
>>
So I just got Mekton Zeta and the Advanced technical manual. Im fucking stoked to run this game.
Are there any compilations of premade Meks like a monster manual floating around? I already have pdfs of the Mecha manuals.

Everywhere I look online links to to dead websites.
>>
>>55026094
You could "borrow" stuff from Mecha Space Pirate Quest. >>>/qst/1799311
>>
>>55025937

i know of this text one
http://www.hermes72.com/2017/07/wordslingin.html#more

there is yuri prime but he plays in polish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQaGxrJqzME
>>
>>55026236
That looks useful.
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they run on bullshit houserules>>55012000
Is that just combat or mech creation as well?
>>
>>55026507
Wong is the quest master for MSPQ. I think most of the houserules are focus around character and combat and that most of the mechs created are close to by the book.
>>
>>55026634
Cool. I will save that list then.
>>
File: 13.jpg (100KB, 770x547px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
100KB, 770x547px
Does anybody use miniatures in their mech games? and if so which ones and where can you buy them?
>>
File: gzg_6mmscifi_painted_02.jpg (240KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gzg_6mmscifi_painted_02.jpg
240KB, 1600x1200px
>>55026785
GZG 6mm scopedogs are pretty good for they size, and cheap.
>>
>my group's next RPG campaign is a BCG game that starts with half the party in prison after a coup d'etat in their nation has seen it under occupation by bad dudes
>my PC is a noble from that nation who was away studying/getting drunk at university and returns to find his childhood friend is a hostage and his birthright has been stolen
>mission 1: locate allies (the other PCs), mission 2: fuck shit up, mission 3: marry childhood friend, become king, mission 4: stop impending alien invasion

Clearly the gods of /m/ are willing me to go full Lelouch on this by way of FF15, so I have made Lucis, the douchebag party prince Captain Tylor expy, and his long-suffering NPC resistance cell comrade Karen who flies the one plane they've got.

The rest of the party involves two swole as fuck alien muscle wizards with a combining super robot golem, a sassy android croupier with a combat AI, an angry as fuck scientist with a kobold-esque alien buddy and a legendary rockstar whose band got killed by a bunch of juiced up mutant supersoldiers with a nuke.
>>
File: kamille.jpg (92KB, 1199x898px) Image search: [Google]
kamille.jpg
92KB, 1199x898px
What's the game that best simulates UC gundam's style of combat?
>>
>>55028953
Virtually everything mentioned in this thread is good for it, the real questions are what style of play, complexity of mechanics, and level and methods of customization do you want?
>>
>>55026785
DP9 pretty much makes only miniatures for their war games nowdays. Small-scale Gunpla works as well.
>>
File: Thomas-Romain.jpg (224KB, 1120x1493px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas-Romain.jpg
224KB, 1120x1493px
>>
>>55026094
Should I houserule a maximum lower than 10 for reflex stat?
I've heard it is the most important stat for combat and I don't want the powergamer in my group maxing it out at the start.
>>
>>55032210
To clarify I mean a maximum at character generation, they could still improve it by normal means later.
>>
Is transformers /m/? I've been thinking about running a transformers game for a while.
>>
>>55032210
>>55032287
This is my question with Mekton Zeta too. Because, yeah, obviously the PCs should be good pilots (if they are pilots), but there seems to be a massive imbalance between using your points on Reflexes and Mecha Piloting vs, say, Personal Grooming. Maybe I'm just not old school enough, and the answer is "work it out in play," "use the skill training option," or "force the idiot savant pilot into social/non-piloting situations."
>>
File: mobile frame zero.jpg (61KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
mobile frame zero.jpg
61KB, 500x281px
>>55006765
Nobody's mentioned Mobile Frame Zero yet? It's pretty cool.

>You shoot the enemy's left arm.
>They physically detach that part of the mech, and it has a game effect.

>Physically salvage enemy mech parts after a battle and attach them to your mech.

>Build your own mechs, and the profile/layout actually matters. A missile turret on top of your head lets you shoot while keeping your body behind cover, etc.
>>
>>55009024

Are you the guy screaming about American mechs in the Titanfall thread over on /m/?
>>
>>55032585
It hasn't been mentioned probably because it's not an RPG?
>>
File: Jian.png (297KB, 407x596px) Image search: [Google]
Jian.png
297KB, 407x596px
>>55029652
>what style of play
Somthing along the lines of late Universal century, mostly mechs stabbing each other with beam sabers, or fragging each other in space

>complexity of mechanics
Something relatively rules light would be nice

>Customization
Swappable weapons and limbs is a must
>>
>>55022673
You gotta keep in mind what FASA was up against when the first lawsuits happened. They may have been successful, but they were still a relatively small company in a niche market. Meanwhile, HG was successful real estate firm that also happened to have the rights to what was one of the most successful animes in the US at the time. Even if the ruling was in favor of FASA, HG had the money to drag the case out and still cause damage to them, so they went with what was then considered the quick and easy way out.

Today things are different. Harebrained Schemes may be a smaller company but HG also doesn't have the same financial clout they used to. HG also recently got their shit slapped by Hasbro and outside of that there's been other legal rulings that have effectively crippled the power of copyright trolling (the Tim Landell vs. EA one comes to mind). The odds are far more in their favor to get the case dismissed quickly than what it used to be.
>>
>>55012681
>maiming rules that disable EVERY upgrade/weapon in an ENTIRE location (and BOTH arms are ONE location, it becomes stupid for Gundam type games where 90% of weaponry is handheld so everyone just shoots each others arms first and foremost),

Okay, so remove chest as an upgrade location and replace it with Left Arm, then rename Arms to Right Arm.

It's suggested in the rules that you should rename locations as suits your mech.
>>
Battle Century G is pretty much the objectively best choice if you want a rules light, anime influenced mecha game. But still with plenty of interesting customisation (especially with the BCZ expansion).

Other systems are more suitable if you prefer a bit more of a simulationist, gritty approach.
>>
How does BCG handle mostly melee mecha combat? If I want to play not-Escaflowne is that the right system for it?
>>
>>55033242
It has pretty solid melee mechanics and a ton of diverse melee weapon options, so it'd do fine. If you wanted to make it focus largely on melee, you could always put restrictions on how many ranged weapons people are allowed to take.
>>
>>55032996
There's also an MF0 RPG.
>>
>>55033276
The mechanics are very solid, but the weapon selection is far from "a ton of diverse options." The weapon options have always felt lacking even with refluffing, plus there's the whole problem with certain weapons just being objectively better than others and some being so bad they've unintentionally become trap options.
The lack of diversity among the weapons is one of the system's biggest weaknesses.
>>
File: CI_59799_1332342596.jpg (219KB, 1024x647px) Image search: [Google]
CI_59799_1332342596.jpg
219KB, 1024x647px
>>55006765
-but what if you want to BE a person who is also a mech. What if you want to MARRY the person who is also a Gundam?
>>
>>55033679
'Oid option in Mekton Zeta Plus, and maybe the chibi rules if they just run around slapping each other's tits instead of actually fighting
>>
>>55033718
There's plenty of fighting in Lyrical Nanoha, its actually a Shonen, don'tcha know. A very gay shonen, which I'm still disappointed about.
>>
>>55030670
1/444 scale Gunpla is still pretty big, but if you have a lot of space and are willing to make a massive map, it's not impossible to work with.
>>
>>55033004
>Something along the lines of late Universal century, mostly mechs stabbing each other with beam sabers, or fragging each other in space
So something with good space combat and versatility between melee and shooting.
BCG and MZ are good'uns, Mini Six/D6 is also good option though not a dedicated mecha system. SilCore works but can get a little crazy with the space combat with delta-Vs and burn points all that jazz.

>Something relatively rules light would be nice
Definitely BCG or Mini Six, Chris Perrin's mecha I don't have experience with but it is pretty light on the rules. MZ and SilCore kind of fall out here, they're pretty rules medium at their lightest.

>Swappable weapons and limbs is a must
MZ is the best at this if you go the "parts catalog" rout instead of letting PCs build their own gear with points. BCG has some swapping gear options but isn't the greatest in that regard. D6/Mini Six and SilCore would easily work for swapping weapons and some other systems, but limb swapping is pretty much left to fluff unless you come up with specific ways that would affect their statblocks.

All in all I think you'd probably enjoy BCG the most when it comes to actually playing the game, MZ is fun for the deeper customizing but I think won't hit your other desires well enough to be worth it.
>>
>>55033764
There's tons of little gacha figures you can get for Gundam which are the perfect size for wargaming minis.
>>
>>55033603
Are you including Battle Century Z in this assessment or?
>>
>>55032358
Yes it is.

What kind of campaign would you run? I kind of like the idea of the stories we are getting in the IDW comics where Humans work with the Transformers and have to deal with a Galaxy full of Aliens that hates the 'Bots.

Also, many Humans distrust the 'Bots.

Also, Earth is 'Bot Satan.

>>55033470
What is it like?
>>
>>
>>55009024
>Battletech employs an anime loving, child rapist who goes by the name of "mad capellan' on their forums who represets the company by posting with loli images on their official forums.

livin the dream
>>
>>55034249

Haven't read the IDW comics yet, but I was thinking something standard like G1/Prime war stories. Having humans thrown in the middle always makes things interesting, as it would help the players visualize how their actions have a greater effect on the lives of the innocent tiny squishy aliens whose home they're wrecking.
>>
>>55033842
>>55033603
>>55033276

How well do you guys think BCG would suit a Mega Man X/Zero type of "you are the mecha" game?
>>
>>55034963
Probably fairly well, honestly. BCG gets around the piloting-godstat issue by just not having piloting stats for characters at all. Your ability to pilot is lumped in with your personal mecha stats and genre powers. To do "players are robots" honestly all you'd have to do is combine the character sheets by giving the mecha skills and figuring out which mecha stats parallel which character stats.
>>
>>55020583
High Skills Rolls Increasing Damage
When using this rule damage is boosted by 1 point for every 5
points you exceeded the target number to hit. If a warrior needed
to beat a Parry of 14 and rolled a 26 on his attack, this would
increase the damage by +2 since the target was beaten by 12.
For increased deadliness, simply reduce the number needed
to exceed the roll by to increase damage. If every 3 points of success
translates to 1 point of damage skilled characters are deadly.
>>
>>55033603
>plus there's the whole problem with certain weapons just being objectively better than others and some being so bad they've unintentionally become trap options.
Which ones are these?
>>
All this talk of Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles has given me an uncomfortably hydraulic mech-boner, and thus it is now story time. It also helps to illustrate the curious knife-edge balance in the Silhouette system between harebrained-ly heroic and cartoonishly lethal.

We were playing Heavy Gear 1st ed, and were military police investigating the theft of arms and equipment. (The game itself was over a decade ago, so I don't remember certain specifics as which polity we were from, but suffice to say we didn't want arms and equipment being sold to the other guys). We've had a series of shootouts and running gun battles with recidivists and rebels, and ultimately have them cornered in an old, bombed-out base. We've corralled everyone but the ringleader, and are scouring the facility for his whereabouts--whereupon the dull thrumming we'd consistently failed to hear built to a throaty roar and a wall collapsed under the iron-shod foot of some form of Gear. We're all on foot and generally loaded for law enforcement, not anti-armor, except for one anti-materiel rifle that had to this point mostly been a nuisance because corpses respond poorly to questioning. We're caught flat-footed and--THOOM THOOM THOOM--someone vanishes in a pink mist.

We scarper and try to come up with a plan before the Gear's autocannon turns the rest of us us into chunky salsa. I'm more the tech guy, and carefully explain that we're fucked unless we can take out the sensors, the V engine, or both. Given our spread of equipment, the AM rifle was the only one with a ghost of a chance because anything else would just scratch the paint unless we were rolling boxcars, and even then it would be negligible damage. We reason getting the sniper behind the Gear is the best bet, but that'll require a distraction. Due to the sensor suite on the Gear any attempt at peek-a-boo will be more like whack-a-mole for us--Except I've got Turtleshell armor, and my pistol is purely decorative at this point...
>>
Does anyone know if there are some Frontier hacks or statblocks for the Macross RPG?
>>
>>55015191
>new
That's been known for a while, and apparently it doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>55035338

Story time, cont'd

So we're boxed in with one chance to take this one Gear out. We put our hands in and one, two, three, break! Those of us with grenades prime and pop them around cover, and the sniper and I are a runner's crouch, no small feat on my part in Turtleshell Armor. The grenades go off with a krump and we're off to the races. He goes left, I go right, and our remaining squadmates open up with their rifles and smgs. The Gear is spoiled for choice for targets, and is puzzling it over as we players are anxious about just how stupid our plan was going to turn out to be. Now, I don't believe this is an official mechanic, but our GM, being the merciful type, decided that an especially good roll by one of the players did in fact do damage to the Gear's sensor cluster and gave him a slight negative to targeting.

So there I am, running over chunks of concrete and tangles of rebar and with a big fat bullseye on my back and--THOOM THOOM THOOM--the autocannon sounds off again, missing me by a hair's breadth. The campfire crackle of small arms fire is nearly continuous, and to be part of the moment I squeeze off a few shots from my pistol. For my temerity, the Gear fires again--and wings me. A single 20mm anti-vehicle around has entered my personal space, and I'm fairly certain my character is going to be sent to the great character folio in the sky. Damage in Heavy Gear, after all, is multiplicative. But between the meager success of the roll and my armor, I'm merely grievously injured instead of instantly dead. Nevertheless, I'm down and out and contribute nothing further to the defeat of a single, light-chassis Gear by a handful of footsloggers.
>>
>>55035381
Check out sketchley's statistics, he has everything up to Delta and even some of Delta on there.

There's also a Mekton version of everything I stumbled upon some time ago
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2MWVpzB0HSIcjdnbjRXMDVxS28&usp=sharing
>>
File: perfect madden.gif (769KB, 300x215px) Image search: [Google]
perfect madden.gif
769KB, 300x215px
>>55035529
You're a lifesaver. Thanks!
>>
>>55035207
That's the one, yeah. It gives a little more edge to the high-accuracy-low-damage weaponry, but I don't think enough of an edge to not still give energy weapons a damage dice boost.
>>
>>55011935

u4er4cl@ud

Battle Century G
/5a687o3m79g8

Battle Century Z
/7ka2onus0s2g
>>
>>55016980
Aren't they still suing Hairbrained Schemes/Piranha Games over the inclusion of the Unseen mechs in Mechwarrior Online/the new Battletech game?
>>
>>55038264
>BCG and Z
>"Oh great this better not be ANOTHER retarded faggot just reuploading the free SRDs that are on the author's fucking website for free"
>download
>It's actually the books

And on that day, anon was BASED

>>55038461
1) Dunno that was before the Aug 16th ruling

2) Ask the Battletech general, or the thread on /m/ talking about it, we're done talking about that here.
>>
>>55013980
Source?
>>
>>55026785
The new Heavy Gear blitz plastics are absurdly cheap. 50 bucks for 15 minis with weapon options.
>>
File: Mecha and Monsters.jpg (361KB, 1552x873px) Image search: [Google]
Mecha and Monsters.jpg
361KB, 1552x873px
Has anyone tried the Mecha and Monsters RPG?
>>
So I'm seeing no mention of the ore mecha offering (believe it is based on wild talents), anyone have any experience with it?
>>
File: vita FORCE NEXT.jpg (1MB, 2500x1596px) Image search: [Google]
vita FORCE NEXT.jpg
1MB, 2500x1596px
>>55033679
Nanoha is already married to Fate, anon.
Vita is single though
>>
How would I do mechs in mini6?
>>
>>55035444

Noice.
>>
>>55040123
As vehicles. One is even there for you under the examples.
>>
>>55040123
Why do you want to use mini6 for mecha?
>>
>>55035264
please respond
>>
>>55041491
Because it's fast and less cripplingly autistic than SilCore/Mekton Zeta?
>>
>>55041873
I'm with you there, I'm was just wondering why Mini Six in particular.
>>
>>55042071
hypotheticals
>>
>>55042071
>>55042117
No idea. But I might run Heavy Gear d6 with it one day.
>>
File: Opressor.jpg (254KB, 1013x789px) Image search: [Google]
Opressor.jpg
254KB, 1013x789px
Why does it seem like the mecha genre is so unpopular nowadays? All the games mentioned in the thread are relatively old. Why don't PnP companies like it anymore?
>>
>>55043223

i think the pilot centric stories and complicated plots have been on the decline even in genre outside of mecha.

there are no new Top gun style of movies after all. then if you go full action you get super robot. and real robot is usually part of an ova or obscure movie.
>>
>>55043353

A shame. Western writing with Eastern design is what dreams are made of.
>>
>>55006930
Could you perhaps tell me the title of this quest?
>>
>>55043600
That's basically what got us RWBY.
>>
>>55043600
I would much rather have Eastern writing, thanks anyway.
>>
>>55044484

That's more like westerners imitating anime writing.

>>55044561

I don't know, anime/manga writers are usually pretty shit, especially when telling war stories. Ryosuke Takahashi is probably the best in the genre when it comes to consistent writing quality, and he has clear western influences in his writing.

When I say western writing I'm talking about sci-fi literature, not western anime.
>>
>>55044730
Then try comparing it to ALL sci-fi literature, including stuff in Japan, you moron. Limiting the Japanese side to anime/manga is exactly analogous to limiting the West side to comics and cartoons.
>>
>>55007252
Im pretty sure storm troopers ain't supposed to be that thic
>>
>>55044561
>invincible protagonist
>"All of the world is a single nation/three to four nations, which either have a shared culture or are the Bad Guys"
>Let's sexualize adolescent girls!

No thank you, I'm about full up on that shit.
>>
>>55044804

I am, though. Japanese writers mostly work on anime and manga nowadays though, so it's hard to find actual sci-fi novels from japan, and they're usually not that great.

And even if we compare comics to manga, western writing is still of a better quality when it comes to sci-fi and war, treating the themes with maturity and seriousness instead of just "haha kids and lolis".
>>
>>55044920
Hi, reddit
>>
>>55044941
see
>>55044944
>>
>>55044974

So you're saying that since you can't come up with an excuse for shitty japanese writing, you resort to calling me a redditfag, as if that would, somehow, make my point null. Nice.

Anyways, don't be personally offended, I enjoy /m/ shit like any other guy. I love Gundam and Macross, I just recognize that they have poor writing.
>>
File: 1451280953214.jpg (437KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1451280953214.jpg
437KB, 1508x1493px
>>55045052
>>
>>55042071
Mini Six is a better mecha system than most dedicated mecha system.

Also rescue bump.
>>
>>55043223
Battle Century G came out like two years ago.
>>
bump for mech warfare

best mecha picture?
>>
File: Rgm-79d_Cold_Climate_Type.jpg (157KB, 273x539px) Image search: [Google]
Rgm-79d_Cold_Climate_Type.jpg
157KB, 273x539px
>>55052030
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>55013540
No, CGL is legitimately a horrible company.
Their CEO literally did embezzle over 800k from the company and is still in charge even though he was definitively proven to be embezzling and stealing money, because if he went to court all of that cash basically is tied up in court and lost forever and the company goes under.
So he's still CEO and is rather obviously milking a stone for as much money as he can and whenever fans ask for something he basically tells them to fuck off and buy something different from him instead.

Go talk to Shadowrun General about it, they know more of the story.
>>
>>55017754
>When you ran a Gundam game (you all did, admit it) did you use UC, and AU, or your own full blown OC Donut Steel AU?

I use a custom "SE" (Space Era) calendar which sort of combines multiple Gundam AU's and franchises and setting bits into one universe.
It's not nearly as mutually incompatible as you'd think.
>>
>>55017754
Early UC is the only legitimate gundam. The sole era true to the original creator's premise. All other timelines or stories are simply riding on the fame of the series and not their own merit.
>>
>>55043223
When it comes right down to it, mecha, especially the Real Robot style of mecha, is a very 1980's thing and saw it's heyday back during that decade.
Japan is mostly trying to recall the success of the 1980's with throwbacks these days without ever really understanding or wanting to be original anymore due to their massive economic failings.
>>
>>55047945
What makes it better than some other universal system with a mecha skin, like FATE, Savage Worlds or heavens forbid, GURPS, HERO or Strike!?
>>
>>55052560
So is this a conclusion you pulled out of your ass after watching exactly one show?
>>
>>55052596
Savage worlds doesn't have a mecha skin. At best it has shadowrun's wannabe clone's armored battle walker section.
>>
>>55052598
Nope, it's a conclusion based on the massive prolification of mecha shows in the 1980's and the sudden drop off as the 1990's hit and they went through an economic recession. It's kinda like cyberpunk themes in American movies or whatever I guess; it was really cool for awhile, and it is still is but it's much less popular.
Harem shows and fanservice shoes and light novel adaptions seem more common in anime at the moment for whatever reason.
>>
>>55052681
On the other hand super-robot style shows seem to be decently successful, though I guess this thread isn't talking about that much.
>>
>>55052648
You can just stat your mech as a character, and then have a mech scale and a human scale.

It even has hit locations and everything.
>>
>>55052783
It only has hit locations if you're already almost dead and recovering, or if we're bringing up even more house rules that you've cobbled together in an attempt to make a point.
>>
>>55052846
>It only has hit locations if you're already almost dead and recovering,

No? You can target discrete points on enemies as a baseline. Hell, it's the only reliable way to kill zombies.

> or if we're bringing up even more house rules that you've cobbled together in an attempt to make a point.

>you make a character with the race "mech" and is a 10 feet tall mech, that you only control when your PC is piloting it

Wow, that was so fucking hard.
>>
>>55052900
Yet the only non-optional wound rules take place only after incapacitation which in and of itself doesn't make sense in a mecha game. A mecha game that plays no different from a ground game and as a result is mechanically boring.

I'd also point out that that goes against all in system recommendation and guideline for race creation, supporting once again the cobbled together shit smear.
>>
>>55052596
>What makes it better than some other universal system with a mecha skin
I never said or even so much as implied that it was.

But let's talk about using generic systems with mecha skins anyway, keeps the thread from dying.

D6 and Mini Six have a good appeal for mecha stuff because they're born from the WEG Star Wars RPG. Why that matters is because Star Wars has a strong vehicle combat component and space combat component, and includes walkers, ,vehicle customization, and big combined arms battles as a part of it, so in a way "mecha" has always been an inherit part of the system.

Stacking it up against other generic systems?
>FATE
I actually ran a Not!Gundam game using the Mecha vs Kaiju rules, and there are a number of other really good mecha hacks out there for Fate. I wouldn't say its better or worse than Mini Six, it's different. It has a "narrative" focus with a big emphasis on player input via a bennies economy, which makes it play so differently than any game on your list it's apples vs oranges.

>Savage Worlds
I've yet to see Savage Worlds mecha rules that weren't absolute garbage. But I'd be willing to give it a chance if anyone can find or make some. Mini Six on the other hand works great out of the box, even before hacks like Heavy Gear D6.

>GURPS, HERO
The obvious answer is Mini Six is less crunchy. But you'll probably get way more detail to fine tune with something like GURPS or HERO, and they'd probably play a hell of a lot better than certain poorly aged 90s mecha games that I won't specify with deep levels of mecha customizing. If only GURP's Starships mecha hack weren't complete trash. You might be able to easily port MZ's mecha construction into HERO though, their histories are much closer connected than most people realize.

>or [REDACTED]
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No.

Nice joke, though. Legit made me laugh.
>>
so any thoughts on Skerples' Flame Promerium concept?;

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-or-giant-mecha-fights.html

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-part-2-giant-mecha.html

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-part-3-giant-mecha.html

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-how-to-run-giant.html
>>
>>55052948
>Yet the only non-optional wound rules take place only after incapacitation which in and of itself doesn't make sense in a mecha game

Sure it does, repair is a thing. But I meant hit locations mostly for things like Armor (which I'm about 78% sure is not an optional rule) and special effects (like Zombie headshot), not wounds.

>A mecha game that plays no different from a ground game and as a result is mechanically boring.

Well, I assume it'd play different because you'd have different equipment available (a good way to do this would be to stat out mecha weapons as Powers instead of weapons), but isn't sorta the point of mecha that they are humanoid? What sort of different gameplay do you expect aside from everything being bigger?

>>55052994
You seem knowledgeable, thank you for the reply.

I'm just puzzled, because my experiences with the WEG SW system were absolute garbage. I mean, I had fun, but it was mostly despite the system, not because of it. Then again, we only fought a single walker and it went down pretty fast to some amazing rolls on grenades.

>I've yet to see Savage Worlds mecha rules that weren't absolute garbage

It seems very straightforward to me. If it really doesn't exist, I guess I know what I'm brewing next.

>[REDACTED]

Actually seems pretty good for SRW style games. Not for real robots, probably.
>>
File: eboshidori.jpg (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
eboshidori.jpg
3MB, 1920x1080px
Any systems where I could run something similar to pic related?
>>
>>55053496
It's neither simple enough to create and run mechs with it, or complex enough to create satisfactory sub-systems.
>>
>>55053504
>I'm just puzzled, because my experiences with the WEG SW system were absolute garbage. I mean, I had fun, but it was mostly despite the system, not because of it. Then again, we only fought a single walker and it went down pretty fast to some amazing rolls on grenades.
Mini Six cleans up and simplifies a lot of things. Well, everything actually. So your experience with it might be remarkably different than with old SW.

>It seems very straightforward to me. If it really doesn't exist, I guess I know what I'm brewing next.
Give it a go, it'd be nice to see some Savage Worlds mecha rules that aren't ass.

>Actually seems pretty good for SRW style games. Not for real robots, probably.
Meh, if you want SRW style Battle Century G is hands down the best. That system that shall not be named doesn't do anything better than any of the other options mentioned in this whole thread, it doesn't even do anything AS GOOD as any of the options discussed so far. There's just literally no reason to even consider it, and the only reason it ever gets brought up in mecha threads is because of a shill who we all know is the dude who made it as much as he keeps trying to pretend he isn't, and memesters.
>>
>>55053504
Called shots in that regard are especially in a vehicle based game almost entirely dependant on your gm's interpretation of the core rule's interaction with vehicular interaction as called shots aren't really detailed outside of the cases you've specifically mentioned (and vampires, I actually like how ancient ones have a higher penalty for a heart shot because of how shriveled the organ is).

Thing is I'd much prefer a more granular system when it comes to such things. Something about mech combat screams active hit location involvement to me.

As for wanting something different between mecha and human play. Well that's a question I've been wrestling with for quite a while. Long story short I don't want my mechs being humans on a bigger scale. I feel that over simplifies the matter. Especially when we deal with savage worlds where a mech gun and a normal one might as well deal the same damage outside of a heavy weapon's quality tacked on to differentiate them.

Dunno. Suppose I like a little more meat to my mecha fight. Something about armor being chipped away at without being as meaningful a hit as a person being shot. That sort of death by a thousand cuts you just don't get out of savage worlds.
>>
>>55053687
>Mini Six cleans up and simplifies a lot of things. Well, everything actually. So your experience with it might be remarkably different than with old SW.

Fair point. I remember reading it, but I wasn't very impressed. I'll give it another go, focusing on vehicle rules.

>Give it a go, it'd be nice to see some Savage Worlds mecha rules that aren't ass.

I guess I'll look around and then give it a go this weekend.

Also, >>55053751 sounds like maybe a limb HP buffer system sort of thing? Could be fun.

>Meh, if you want SRW style Battle Century G is hands down the best.

That's for SRW shows, the black sheep there is for SRW games, complete with grid based tactical combat and special attacks galore. It's also the same relation as Mini6 with GURPS, it's a lot simpler.
>>
>>55054216
>That's for SRW shows, the black sheep there is for SRW games
BCG is STILL better. Complete with grid based tactical combat (as an optional rule) and special attacks galore. And is simpler than that piece of shit meme game.
>>
>>55054337
I think you haven't read the meme game. I have both PDFs open right in front of me (PS, thanks for the uploader above), and I don't see how it's possible to think BCG is simpler.
>>
>>55054355
I don't think you comprehend BCG if you think that piece of shit meme game is in any way simpler.
>>
>>55054387
It doesn't even use modifiers or stats.

You are just embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>55054216
Battle Century G will still get you better mileage than... that game. Simpler doesn't necessarily mean better, especially when the simpler option is just not that good of a game in its own right.
>>
>>55054471
It makes it good for oneshots and short sessions where you still want to have some tactical fights.

The character variety mechanically in terms of special abilities is also a lot higher, but I haven't read BCZ yet, maybe it gets some more off the wall options.

They are remarkably similar games, otherwise. You could easily trade powers between the two.
>>
>>55053496
I think "normal characters, but Big" is an underrated concept. Mecha/OSR seems like a very, very specific niche, though, even if you run it with something like Space Princess or Dust Princess to move it away from fantasy mechs. I'd play it.
>>
>>55055127
The full version of Stars Without Number has some decent mecha rules. Not great, but decent.
>>
>>55055155
I'll have to check that out! Mecha and OSR have been on my mind lately, so the intersection is pretty interesting to me. Thanks!
>>
>>55055155
As usual, SWNs parts that aren't actually strictly OSR are pretty good.
>>
>>55055161
>>55055176
I've definitely seen worse mech rules tossed into D&D derived games, but the SWN ones at least have a good idea if not the greatest execution. They're definitely something that can be worked with.
>>
File: Zoltan.jpg (428KB, 633x900px) Image search: [Google]
Zoltan.jpg
428KB, 633x900px
>>
File: Lqjal.jpg (77KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
Lqjal.jpg
77KB, 850x478px
>>55057111
>>
>>55057111
Why would you call your mech an ancient Hungarian name derived from Sultan?
>>
>>55009024

Go to hell. MEGAS XLR was awesome.
>>
>>55044813
>>55007252
>aren't you a little thicc for a tie fighter pilot?
>>
tell us about that mecha campaign you want to gm but have not found players or time for it.

i will start with mine.

A nature strike back post apocalyptic scenario where nature started overgrowing without control basically everything became superzised plants and animals. and started pushing the boundaries of humanity's civilization back.

Humans built walled citties in the shape of sunken pots with the inner soil untainted used for farming and feeding the population. while the population lives on the walls of the pot. humanity is in a constant struggle against the expansion of the trees and there are dedicated mecha (code name: lumberjack ) units in charge of keeping a perimeter around the cities free of plants called gardeners.

going from one city to another requires chopping the road every trip and they sometimes encounter dire beasts and weird phenomena.

the main reason for adventuring lies in what is called Amber. the fossilized tree resin that traps technology of the old cities and wraps them in magical energy creating magical effects. Amber is what makes the mecha work using a device simply named Amber core. Amber can also be used for many supernatural effects (usually on the theme of psionics like, metro 2033, stalker, A Certain Scientific Railgun)

the themes are exploration, weird shit, fighting over resources. fighting the evil creatures that come out of the wild finding powerful amber hidden lab experiments, and secret conspiracies between pot cities.
>>
File: 41910693_p1_master1200.jpg (1MB, 1200x845px) Image search: [Google]
41910693_p1_master1200.jpg
1MB, 1200x845px
>>55058819
Doesn't sound bad, Stalker+mechs+post-apoc was something than I toyed too mentally, but in sort of Alien invaders post apocalipsis than terraformed the world (so not that far from what you were thinking).
What I ever wanted to play it's a kind of star merc companies, with Tanks, real mechs kinda of HG/Votoms, and space ships, killing and conquerind lost human colonies or xenos alike. Thinking SWN based game, but changing some things (seems a good game, the tables and all that is magnific, but some things like armor etc aren't my cup of tea).
>>
File: 41910693_p4_master1200.jpg (398KB, 1023x950px) Image search: [Google]
41910693_p4_master1200.jpg
398KB, 1023x950px
>>55058938
And some space scopedog because they are awesome.
>>
>>55058228
>Why would you call your mech an ancient Hungarian name derived from Sultan?
because it sounds cool, that's like 99% of the reason for any Mech's name
>>
>>55058819
This actually sounds really fun. I'd totally play this campaign.
>>
So if I'm looking for a rules light game, what are the differences between BCG and CP'S mecha I should be aware of?
>>
>>55060438
I tried reading Chris Perrin the other day but there's something about it that just doesn't hook me. It has some interesting ideas but I couldn't get excited about it. On the other hand I've played BCG a million times and I love it, it's one of my all time favorite systems.

Kind of a meme opinion since I haven't played Chris Perrin's to give a real comparison. I'd like to know more about it too actually, I never see anyone discuss it.
>>
>>55060501

Hmm, alright, thanks. You think BCG would suit something like an Eva game?
>>
>>55060648
It could work for Eva, you would just have to house rule a few things to custom tailor the experience, such as limiting some upgrade options and having others be mandatory. I've done this myself for other settings and it works well.

Here's some random examples of things in the system you could use for Eva.
>The Beast
Upgrades your unarmed melee attacks and lets you bypass defenses with them. Gets stronger the more damage you take. The game's upgrades are basically tropes (for lack of a better word) ripped out of popular/iconic mecha series, and The Beast is BCG's Evangelion shoutout.

>Absolute Barrier
Spend energy every turn, gain 2x temp HP. Easily workable as an AT field upgrade.

>Backup Bodies
A pilot ability that lets you revive in a new body after being killed. Obvious pick for the Rei clone characters.

>Insanity Rules
Don't actually use these, insanity rules are bad and so is your game if you think they're necessary. But if you really need them, the BCZ expansion has a whole thing dedicated to this.

>Boss Enemies
There's special rules for boss enemies that are designed different from standard units, so you already have a specialized system for designing angels. Bosses are extremely gimmicky so you can recreate the sort of "puzzle fights" that you see throughout the series.

>Pilot Stats VS Mech Stats
They don't interact at all. So you can actually stat up a dumb teenager without sacrificing your combat ability.

>Everything else
The whole system is made to be refluffed, so even if something isn't blatantly Eva you can still use it. For example, the "Beam Rifle" (and laser weapons in general) could very easily just be refluffed AT powers, and so on.
>>
>>55061032
BCZ also has rules for collateral damage and I think stuff like needing a power line tethering your mecha, if you really want to go there.
>>
>>55015902
>That pilot face.
>YoufilthyClannerthisisntWeed.jpg
>>
>>55061032

Thanks a lot!
>>
>>55034963
That'll be fine, just remember that you basically have different character sheets/stats for in and out of combat situations.
>>
>>55060501
Chris Perrin's is much more rules light. But there's a suprising heavy on the dice rolling itself and a lot of people don't like the rather abstracted battle map and how you're moving between quadrants. Battles are objective based, fighting over some kind of check point and battles to the death are supposed to be rare. So I think it'd work better for, say, Gundam than Eva.

BCG has more room for doing builds and such. And has a more tradtional tactical square map. It's very much Super Robot Wars in table top form.
>>
>>55052426
This is basically the skinny.
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.ca/2016/08/on-shadow-catalyst-part-i.html
>>
>>55052560

>Japan is mostly trying to recall the success of the 1980's with throwbacks these days without ever really understanding or wanting to be original anymore due to their massive economic failings.

But this is literally all of Hollywood and video games as well. It's all endless sequels/reboots/beating the dead horse of an IP as they don't want to gamble on something else.
>>
>>55038264
Where is this supposed to be for downloading?
>>
>>55065900

It's right there before the links.
>>
>>55008271
Got a new copy of the link?
>>
For the BCG players. Have any of you repeatedly killed bosses with minimum damage rolls too?
>>
>>55007997
oh look, someone who knows nothing about the case, or how Tatsu fucked up everything with macross.
>>
>>55009024
1)Harmony Gold does not own "41" designs from Macross, those include the designs in question.
2)Battetech's original name of BattleDroids was legit, until Lucas decided to exert his copyright might [fair enough and they simply changed the name]
3) FASA licensed the rights to those images from 21st century imports, who licensed from Studio Nue [who have proper distribution rights to the images]
4)FASA sued PLAYMATES over the use of the Timberwolf/Madcat design for their Exo-Squad toyline. Playmates was partnered with HG at the time, who butted in and litigated FASA into oblivion at the time.
5)Never Happened
6)Resolved
7)Resolved
8)Conjecture
9)Harmony Gold is trying to protect it's literal non-existant copyright [as they were found to have no rights by japanese law]

TL;DR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMla7qlBsg
>>
>>55058819
A "Medieval Mecha" setting inspired by Imperial Knights from Warhammer 40k. The idea of a single, or a very small number of, Giant Robot Knights in an otherwise medieval setting is really cool to me, defending the people of their nation(s) against bandits and other things. Doubly so if the Knights haven't gone local and still think of themselves as spacemen rather than locals, and get embroiled in all the heated politics and problems of the noble houses. Not true "fantasy mecha" because I don't imagine magic and dragons - the closest I can conceive of is the occasional alien monster.

In the same vein, that exact same concept, but reversed; the players are the bandits and Robin Hood-types dealing with a tyrannical Knight overlord without mechs.

Finally, something I can best summarize as "King Arthur In Giant Robots Meets Xenogears."
>>
>>55058819
>tell us about that mecha campaign you want to gm but have not found players or time for it.
Macross game about a colony fleet settling in a newly discovered habitable solar system. Exploration, space pirates, a rogue Zentradi fleet, anti-NUN rebels, Protoculture ruins, and signs that the system was once inhabited by someone or something not encountered before all would have been arcs of the adventures that were never to be.
>>
File: 160668.jpg (63KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
160668.jpg
63KB, 612x792px
Has anyone ever made any resources for BCG?

Reference sheets? GM Screens? Generators? Homebrew? Anything at all?

For as much as /tg/ sucks its dick there sure doesn't seem to be much of anything out there in terms of resources and support, or much of a community for the game at all.
>>
>>55024365
>>55009024
> the actions of less than 0.1% of a population is grounds to exculde an entire nationality
>>
How would you balance anti mech infantry teams against mecha?
>>
>>55074488
Making mechs not that big, so combined arms are a thing. Mellowlink comes to mind.
If not power armos like Battle tech.
>>
>>55074488

The same way you have mobile armor nowadays with infantry. It's just cheaper to have a bunch of dudes with armor-piercing RPGs than to have a bunch of tanks, and you still need foot soldiers to patrol streets and do the hundreds of manual labor tasks that military life demands. You can take a city with a few tanks, but you need hundreds of men to actually maintain control of it.

Good mechs are expensive, and ace mech pilots are a limited commodity. You want to deploy them for crucial objectives, supported by ground and air units.

You still have all-mech units gong on special missions, but a big military operation requires numbers, and most of those numbers are going to be your average foot soldier.

See something like VOTOMs for a great example of this.
>>
>>55071860
There isn't really much need for third party content since everything in the system is designed to be refluffed, and the actual mechanics behind everything is pretty solid already.
>>
>>55061032
>>Insanity Rules
>Don't actually use these,
Why not?
>>
>>55077079
Personal preference really, I don't like game mechanics telling me how to play my character. Besides, the system already has the genre themes system which gives you incentive to roleplay chosen traits to get more genre points. You can easily just adjust your regular genre themes to accommodate "insanity" (every character has to have a "Bane" that is a trait that affects them negatively). BCZ's trauma rules replace that system entirely and I just don't like how it works. It's very obviously trying to mimic the way AdEva does trauma which just doesn't fit well with Battle Century in my opinion. I could be wrong though, if anyone has actually used those rules I'd like to hear other opinions.
>>
>>55077239
>It's very obviously trying to mimic the way AdEva does trauma
That's the appeal for me, but I can see why you'd dislike it.
>>
I like the idea of Mekton (I've only looked at zeta, but I assume the other editions are fairly similar), but I'm kind of put off by the level of detail in mech creation. I can appreciate the level of granularity and room for tinkering it provides, but whenever I try to mess around with it I just get overwhelmed and confused as to what I should be doing and give up. Are there any resources that could help with that? Like some sort of index of prefab pieces/components I can fit together?
>>
>>55076486
You'd think there'd at least be a cheat sheet or two out there I could give to new players, or a printable screen for GMs to have a quick reference
>>
>>55080645
What would even go on the cheat sheet? I've played enough campaigns that I could probably write one.
>>
>>55080800
For a new players/cheat sheet: Actions, what stats you use for what roll, how to calculate damage and what tension does, how Advantage/Disadvantage works, the default genre powers maybe, just real "how to play" basics that you know someone playing the game for the first time would ask.
>>
>>55081112
I don't see the point, the PDF is bookmarked and organized well enough that you can find this stuff with a couple clicks already. It would be more effort rewriting and condensing the info for brainlets than it would take to just search for three seconds to find things yourself.
>>
>>55081836
Nah mate, you're the brainlet if you can't see the utility in a quick reference sheet over referencing the book. Especially for introducing new players to a game.
>>
>>55014056

They have the trademark registered, but trademarks aren't revoked on the registry but via court decisions. IMO lucasfilm is still ok against charges of genericization. But nobody can be sure until a claim is litigated to conclusion.
>>
>>55018664

The GURPS Spaceships supplements have this explicitly laid out. Plus remember it's GURPS so you can have a ship aid another ship just like any character could. The whole point is that you can #include all the rules you already use in other cases.
>>
>>55007252
If it was a robot, then it can.
>>
File: landmate_02s.jpg (275KB, 800x1036px) Image search: [Google]
landmate_02s.jpg
275KB, 800x1036px
Is there any good /m/ RPG materials that was fit for Landmates to Landmates action? Infinity RPG is cool with their TAG system but i just want to try something else.

100 extra points if it can be converted to wargames.
>>
File: hgb-utopia-ape-maa-sniper.jpg (204KB, 840x503px) Image search: [Google]
hgb-utopia-ape-maa-sniper.jpg
204KB, 840x503px
>>55083774
Heavy Gear. They have not!Landmates in the setting already, and the RPG's tactical rules WAS the wargame until Blitz was released.
>>
File: Boris Vallejo Robot Duel.jpg (786KB, 967x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Boris Vallejo Robot Duel.jpg
786KB, 967x2000px
>>
So are there any good Gundam tabletop games or do I have to go out and make one?
>>
File: GundamSenkiRPG.jpg (218KB, 524x704px) Image search: [Google]
GundamSenkiRPG.jpg
218KB, 524x704px
>>55084971
Yes. None of them got English translations though.

Though Gundam Senki is just Mekton Zeta with some rules changed up.
>>
>>55085055
Well what do you mech fags prefer?
d6's or d10s?
>>
>>55085104
I think you should look at some of the things talked about in this thread before reinventing the wheel.
>>
>>55008271
>expired

whelp
>>
>>55085104
I think like >>55085116 unless you are a genius at doing wargames it's better to use an existing and proven one than a dubious quality mess.

Also being than we are nearing the end of that thread, how sounds a mech and starship thread for discussion?
>>
>>55084971
Just because something doesn't say "Gundam" on the cover doesn't mean it's not a good RPG for Gundam. Plenty of the options discussed above are fantastic for Gundam games, and seeing as how it's the most well known mecha anime in all the West pretty much every "generic mecha RPG" is written to emulate Gundam more than anything else anyway.
>>
>>55052994
>Star Wars has a strong vehicle combat component and space combat component, and includes walkers, ,vehicle customization, and big combined arms battles as a part of it, so in a way "mecha" has always been an inherit part of the system.

That reminds me, I slapped together some ideas for making a mecha system out of the newer FFG Star Wars RPG.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HJZLW49aUkVeWpurcoC1Pk5MWSPoG65OzaNeGUEQxpM/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have experience with the heavy gear wargame? I've heard that it's gone through several editions that change things up a lot, are the newer versions strict improvements or do people prefer one of the older rulesets?
>>
>>55085633
>every "generic mecha RPG" is written to emulate Gundam more than anything else anyway
>there will never be a 3 player getter robo inspired game
>>
>>55087123 con't
I know BCG exists, but that's more SRW than anything else (it mostly works, but I think it would be cool to have a dedicated RPG for it)
>>
>>55086010
You know what, now that I think of it the generic version they're making will probably be pretty good for mech stuff so long as you're not put off by the narrative dice.
>>
File: 3_by_porco_takahashi-d9oqm9r.jpg (109KB, 723x367px) Image search: [Google]
3_by_porco_takahashi-d9oqm9r.jpg
109KB, 723x367px
>>
>>55074488
There's no reason that a couple of guys with the setting equivalent of a javelin can't take out a mech, that's how.
>>
So I picked up Heavy Gear Blitz while at Gen-con and while I like the models the rules seem way too clunky for me.

I'm thinking of making a Savage Worlds conversion that keeps all the concepts like sensor locks and reactive fire but simplifies the rolls to "Gunnery die vs Piloting TN, damage die vs. Armor TN".
>>
>>55092521
How is nu-Blitz in any way "clunky"?

Fucking Savage Worlds has more complex rules than nu-Blitz
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.