[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4184.jpg (176KB, 495x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4184.jpg
176KB, 495x640px
Just picked this up off of a whim on Amazon. Is it good? How does it compare to more traditional systems?
>>
>>55001014
Heeh. The system is really simple. It's fine if your players are invested in the setting.

Combat can go wrong really fast and really hard, so avoid throwing a million random encounters at your players, plan more towards few but important fights with stakes on them.

Starting characters can be pretty incompetent and frustrating, many GMs just give their players a full first career at chargen.
>>
i guess this is a good place to bring it up: i've been thinking about introducing a point-buy alternative for 2E, because i have a player who got REALLY frustrated with his character's statline.

the idea is to replace each roll with the mean value in points: you get 88 points in your primary statistics (2d10 > mean value of 11 times 8 stats) and 10 points for wounds/fate points (1d10 > median of 5 on 2 rolls)

the only problem i foresee here is that the secondary characteristics will be minmaxed pretty hard. thoughts?
>>
>>55001807
Give TB x 2 for starting Wounds and 2 Fate points, don't give them the opportunity to just arbitrarily buy those stats.
>>
>>55001830
>TBx2 wounds
i like that idea, gives more consideration to the primary char., other than the obvious. it will make fightey characters' choices very onesided though (i.e. maxing out toughness is the obvious way to go)
>2 fate points flat
dunno, seems like a cheap opt-out, that somewhat destroys the fluffy nature of fate points. maybe increase starting xp and make fate points payable with starting xp?
>>
>>55001807
What about standard chargen with a small pool of points to "pad out" stats? Maybe put limits on how much you can spend, or award them based on how lacking their statline is. Nothing too radical, just a little sugar on the pill.
>>
>>55002035
I avoid rolling for Fate as a general rule. It's too important game critical to be randomized, and too powerful to be easily balanced. If you give it a price, you will certainly fuck it up and either make it stupidly expensive where characters are crippling themselves to have it - or so cheap that players min-max to get as many as they can. There is no middle ground.
>>
>>55002073
oh shit, i forgot to mention: the point buy is obviously within the bounds of each race, meaning a max of 20pts per stat, to keep it in line with the intended gamebalance
the problem with "pad out" points is that you still have the problem of random stats, including the chance for terrible stats and the chance for ridiculously good stats. wich is exactly what i'm trying to circumvent with a pointbuy system. not a bad idea, just not in alignment with what i'm trying to accomplish.

>>55002083
that is true. so either way you do it, it's bad yes? i really like the way of making it purchasable from starting xp though:
>start with racial baseline (worst dice roll)
>each step up on the table costs 100xp
>start with 200 starting xp
>chose between maxing out FP or spending xp on your career

or alternatively:
>2 "special xp" points
>choose between fate points or bonus talents

both options will result in minmaxing, but i think the latter might actually introduce a layer of choice (diversification/specialization vs more fatepoints)

thoughts?
>>
>>55002216
> within the bounds of each race, meaning a max of 20pts per stat
just had an idea for an alternative: you still get 88 points (meaning you have enough points to buy an across the board average statline) but you can go 5 points bove the roll-maximum at double the cost
>example: horst the human starts with his racial baseline of 20 in every characteristic
>he decides to push his Int because this is his main stat, so he decides to max it out to 45
>his first 20 increases (from 20 to 40) cost 1 point each, so 20 increases for 20 points
>every point beyond that is 2 point per increase, so his last 5 inreased cost him 10 points, so maxing out the characteristic costs 30 points total, leaving him with 58 points for his remaining 7 characteristics
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.