[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Runequest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: TDM100-Covers[1].jpg (829KB, 960x589px) Image search: [Google]
TDM100-Covers[1].jpg
829KB, 960x589px
I don't know anything about it but I am curious to know what's good about it and what's bad about it, which editions people play, etc.
My players keep on going back to D&D all the time so I want something different that's good and doesn't have the D&D baggage.
>>
>>54998790
>what's good about it
No levels. A skill and attribute system. Combat has the potential to be very lethal. There is a large amount of compatible supplements and systems available as well.
>what's bad about it.
Rules can be a little daunting at first. Like Gurps it has too many skills.
>which editions people play, etc.
I like MRQ2 or Legend. The Design Mechanism Runequest/ Mythras has an additional magic system if you want monks/ physical adepts.
>My players keep on going back to D&D all the time so I want something different that's good and doesn't have the D&D baggage.
You could try Pendragon. Knights of the round table adventures. Dice resolution uses a D20. It is also not too difficult to adapt the D20 roll high system to Runequest. Jus treat every 5% in a skill as a +1 bonus.
>>
File: runequest.jpg (292KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
runequest.jpg
292KB, 1024x710px
Runequest is a neat beast. It's one of the oldest RPGs, and it's developed its own nice niche. The game from the ground is somewhat more grounded and realistic than D&D. People will die in two or three hits of most weapons, hit locations, armor as DR rather than avoidance, etc. Runequest 6 (now known as Mythras due to licensing bullshit) has refined this to include a lot of special effects and maneuvers to perform in combat, like impaling someone with your sword, tripping them, disarming them, etc. It makes martial combat extremely interesting yet light enough to run quickly. The focus on a grounded character includes character creation, where your stats depend on your culture and you can optionally generate your whole damn family.

At the same time as this, magic is also a very big part. The game originally shipped with the setting of Glorantha, which has a sort of bronze age myth feel, bordering on gonzo at times. There's no hard separation or class system to prevent anyone from learning magic, and so most people know a couple little charms. In modern Runequest, this means there are a bunch of different magic systems that you can drop in and out of the system, from petty magic to weird kung fu sorcery. You can run something without magic or absolutely flooded with it, and it just werks.
(cont)
>>
File: runequest 2.jpg (370KB, 1013x802px) Image search: [Google]
runequest 2.jpg
370KB, 1013x802px
The three editions most people would point to are 2nd edition, 6th edition, and the new one coming out called Runequest Glorantha.

2nd edition is simple, concise at like 150 pages total, and has a lot of great material for it. It's a bit antiquated in design though. However, it's considered a classic for a reason.

6th edition, Mythras, is a bit crunchier and front loaded in character creation, but has a lot of interesting tools to play with, like those combat maneuvers and modular magic systems. It also has a bunch of great supplements, like sourcebooks for Rome and Early Medieval Britain, a sword and sorcery setting with dinosaurs on an island, and a book called Classic Fantasy to integrate more D&D style play if you want. I really, really recommend it. You can find a free version online called Mythras Imperative that has a simplified, stripped down version of the rules and see what you think.

The newest edition, Runequest Glorantha (or Runequest 4th Edition because Chaosium is a bunch of dickbags) isn't out yet, but has a pretty promising playtest that was just released. It's being built from the ground up to include more Glorantha materials if you're interested in that setting, and also includes a few more modern gameplay concepts like personality attributes based on the magical runes that define you. Unfortunately, it steps back a bit on the modernizing of the rules that 6th edition did, and has some kind of clunky opposed roll skills and an antiquated way to determine difficulty. It's a step back to 2nd edition in a lot of ways, for good and for ill. However, you really can't go wrong with any of them. It all depends on how crunchy you want things and what kind of setting you want to go for.
>>
>>54999171
>>54999256
>>54999318
Seems like Mythras would be what I look for, thank you.
>>
File: Sunset .jpg (572KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
Sunset .jpg
572KB, 1024x819px
It seems like OP's question has been answered so lets make this a rune quest general thread (there are so few these days).

I am currently laying out my rune quest campaign, I plan on giving the PC's the choice of starting out either as a member of the equites class (setting is mostly a thalocratic league of city states drawing heavily from Greek, Etruscan and early Roman culture) or as a slave owned by one of the payers starting in the equites class with the lower social standing made up for by giving them more character options at character creation (You want to play a NOT! Conan then you start out as a slave)

Thinking of having minor gods inhabit all aspects of the world and flavor folk magic as invoking those minor gods.

Also having a bit of trouble thinking up al the potential fighting styles and cultures for barbarians and nomads that could be used as slaves in the setting. Care to assist me in this /tg/?
>>
>>54998790
I have been playing a 3rd edition campaign for half a year now. I really liked the system especially the whole skill system.
>>
Mythras is my system of choice. I just love how it offers good rules for character creation, it encourages you to make a really fleshed out character and not just in terms of crunch, but fluff.
The combat system is heavy, I'm not going to lie. I have simplified it a lot to make combat smoother, but if you aren't running a combat heavy campaign or combat focuses on 2-6 participants, it works just fine. It's just that most of my combat encounters consist of 10-20 participants, so streamlining the system helps a lot.
The combat is lethal, and people have many opinions of that fact. I like it, as there is no unnecessary hp bloat and there is a genuine feel of danger - almost any hit can disable your hero if unlucky enough. Usually though it's 2-4 solid hits and the combat is over, either because the opposition is dead or more often, they flee or surrender.
The passions system is cool, it makes fleshing out the character's fluff to affect the crunch, too.
Magic systems are many and range from basic folk magic to complex and extremely flexible sorcery, for example.

Have been running two campaigns with the system for about 2 years now, and I give it a 9/10
>>
>>55000876
How did you streamline combat?
>>
>>55000876
I have ran a RQ2/3 campaign for a about 30 sessions and I did not find combat heavy at all. Combat is smooth and fast but deadly and interesting at the same time. My players really liked it. I had some old timers that had played DnD and Riddle of Steel with me before, and I had some completely new players as well. Everybody liked runequest, except for one guy who thought magic was too weak.
>>
File: 1405994170392.jpg (99KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
1405994170392.jpg
99KB, 600x471px
>>55001503
I've found that there is little need to streamline combat once players get how the game works, and grand melees are avoided.
That said, I too am curious how anon streamlines.
>>
>>54999625
Horseback archery is a good fighting style for barbarians in war if you want to have some pseudo mongols.
>>
>>55003046
Even grand melees are fine once everyone fully understands the system. My group can crunch through a 16-combatant melee in an hour or so.
>>
>>54998790
Mythras is currently the best game in the Runequest line in my opinion, maybe the entire BRP family. They have a free version of the rules and a couple high-quality free adventures out.
>>
File: 1425024751260.jpg (371KB, 950x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1425024751260.jpg
371KB, 950x1200px
>>55003262
And the entire BRP-family is pretty nifty to begin with.
>>
So what's the difference between Runequest and other crunchy simulationist systems like GURPS, I've been looking at both Runequest and GURPS for a realistic fantasy campaign I might run
>>
>>55003944
To be honest you can make a GURPS variant that works almost exactly like Runequest. They're both refinements of crunchy generalist simulationist games. Runequest is just a packaged version of BRP made for that kind of game.
>>
File: 1416565955710.jpg (432KB, 934x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1416565955710.jpg
432KB, 934x1200px
>>55003944
Simpler. Characters are defined by 7 core characteristics and whatever skills they've picked up. No perks, flaws, weighing of pros and cons or intricate pointbuys. Traits not covered by skills are defined by the character's actual background and/or the player.
Running everything on a roll under on d100-scale is easier to grasp and eyeball than 3d6 or more complicated dicepools and whatnot.
RQ6/Mythras is a onestop toolkit, giving you all the classic sword&sorcery gadgets and the workbench to put them together. Rq6/Mythras also has a damn good combat system.
The other RQ's are specificlly tailored to one thing - Glorantha.

GURPS and RQ do much the same thing, only in different ways. I prefer RQ's way, the GURPS-crew will surely be along shortly to shout at me.
>>
I'm hyped for the new edition of Runequest.
>>
>>55005075
Having little interest in the setting and already possessing several good BRP-games, I am less enthusiastic.
It does look very nice tho.
>>
>>55005764
>>55005764
Why Don't you like Glorantha? It has something for everyone.
>>
>>55005764
I'm just a huge fan of chaosium and d100 rules in general
>>
>>55005784
I love stealing stuff from it. It has a lot of cool stuff to nick. I just don't manage to get into the setting as a whole .
>>
File: RuneQuest Essentials.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest Essentials.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
Bump because a RQ-thread deserves to live a bit longer, and because RQE is a great document.
>>
>>55006263
This is why I am a little reluctant about the new version if it is going to be so integrated into one setting. The big draw for me is how tool boxy the Mythas corebook and the other version are with supplements to pull from instead of having a setting built in that you then have to extrapolate from.
>>
>>55001503
Not the guy you're responding to, but: add CON+SIZ, divide by two. call it HP and disregard hit locations entirely. I do this with minor monsters, bandits, etc. Hit locations are best left for bosses.

This is what Call of Cthulhu does by the way
>>
>>55010768
I do the Con+Siz/2 too but got it from the space opera supplement but keep the locations for the severe and major wound effects though I have started to do 1hp rabble for monsters that shouldn't have a chance but then again I'm running Classic Fantasy so all the players are stronger than normal especially at higher ranks.
>>
>>55010768
That seems less streamliney than just using the rabble-rules?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.