[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for using battle maps for play by post games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: Road the Phandalin 2.jpg (209KB, 736x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Road the Phandalin 2.jpg
209KB, 736x1065px
I'm going to DM my very first game via play by post on Mythweavers.

Any advice for using battle maps for combat encounters? I'm thinking of putting them into a google doc so people can edit or make suggestions when it comes time to battle it out.

I'm not going to be doing a strict turn order per enemy but group actions so it's a little easier. I'll also be posting enemy stats and having players roll their attacks and deal damage themselves. Gives them the opportunity to write out how fights ensue too.
>>
Expect it to die within 2 weeks, tops. After 3 days only 2 people will post regularly, if any.

Use theater of the mind as much as possible if you're running 5e, you will remain sane. Just post appropriate maps as a jpeg and throw in a quick edit every couple of rounds if you have to.
>>
>>54995184
Yep, I was a player in one before and it died in about that time. I hope our game doesn't die, but I'm not holding my breath either.

I suppose I ought to keep everything in one place, eliminating the need to go back and forth between Mythweavers and google docs.
>>
>>54995141
Bad idea.

A better idea is to assemble or draw some stock art representing whatever points of interest are in the battle.

Example using the phandelver map you have there, have Forest-Cliff-Road. Players on the road cannot see what's in the forest, but the reverse is true in the forest for the road.

This makes it a lot easier in fights to say "You can attack the bandit leader who stopped you with your sword, but not the archer shooting down at you." With that.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.