[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wish to run an evil campaign!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 3566374-8267470449-volca.jpg (473KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3566374-8267470449-volca.jpg
473KB, 2560x1600px
I'm going to be running a short 10 session game for some dudes and i decided i wanted to run an evil campaign, maybe. I've run them through a couple things before, western bounty hunters, space pirates, oddly never knights n' shiet. mostly cause they prefer modern stuff.

one player said they wanted to try out an evil game and i started thinking about it. for mediEVIL i can probably run Overlord the game. but what can i do about more moder/futuristic games?

I'm sure this title and image will trigger some people in here cause mentioning good/evil and anything Tolkien
>>
First and foremost before any setting is chosen. Tell the players they are evil TOGETHER they are a team and they do not just turn on eachother

That's essential if you want the game to last 30 seconds.

Second, evil does not mean kill everything on sight, it can mean destabilizing a region and taking it over after you made it collapse internally. If your entire game consists of killing peasants it won't be fun.

One more time, the players are allies to eachother.
>>
>>54986951
>>54986891
My bad, bad internet connection, I didn't see it already posted
>>
>>54986891
Yeah, one of the ways I stopped players from killing each other before:
>A Bloodpact where a betrayer that kills a member of the group suffers the same fate
>They are under the same lord army
>They all have a sense of brotherhood/sisterhood/family being all exiled from society.
>>
Whats the POINT of an evil campaign?
I mean, 'fun' should be the first answer, and its a good one, but I don't really get the point.

If I wanted to play an 'evil campaign', world of darkness kind of nailed it with vampire as they're impulse bound to turn on each other already, and theres some structure to the whole affair of incentives and costs.

For something outside of that, i don't really get it because (and this is my problem) it ruins the immersion a little, as the gm isn't honorbound not to TPK us when we're playing more 'heroic' characters, but its implied; his gameworld gets 'bad end' if he does, most of the time.

Whats the point of being 'evil'? I'm not asking for a shades of grey case being made here, I'm just... it seems more childish than the usual pretending to be a gnome or dorf.
>>
>>54986710
Generally if you don't want a high power, or if your players are particularly smart then you will have them work for some higher power
- evil king
- Dragon is cool
- evil God whispering to an elder

For a more modern game you can play as assassin's, see wanted. Or they can play as gangsters or monsters depending in the era.
>>
>>54987112
why play a game in space? or underwater? or a game where you track down a giant thats going to destroy your city?

because usually its a way to write an interesting story and to have fun. if this group has fun doing evil then its just as justified as saving the world from the dark lord.
>>
>>54987112
>Whats the POINT of an evil campaign?

Sometimes it's fun to roleplay the bad guys? There are plenty of actors who love to play villains. Same basic principle.
>>
>>54987112
i see your point, the threat of the world being destroyed is what drives the good guys, but the world being destroyed is a good thing for the bad guys.

first off i would say that it would suck if the world were on my shoulders in every game i played, I've done it twice already and its kindof shite by now. sometimes i just want to protect my village or sometimes i genuinely dont want a plot, i just want loose episodic adventures.

as for the vampires/structure, that can be re-fluffed but some people dont want to play vampires. actually our group recently wanted a game where we all play monsters where its in our nature to be destructive and murderous, RAMPAGE as a tabletop.

But right, so you can have something similar to the world being destroyed for the bad guys. It could be that your way of life is at risk such as the humans have discovered your kingdom and are trying to wipe you out and if you fail your entire species dies. or that what you're doing is racing the good guys trying to beat them to this magical artifactamabob so you can use it to destroy the world instead of them using it to stop you. i always liked that skyrim DLC where you could blot out the sun or join the vampire killers, thats a good plot too.
>>
>>54986891
to add onto this, villain protagonists still need to be protagonists, this means the audience (i.e. the group) needs to be able to empathise with them or they're going to lose interest in the campaign very quickly. Basically, you need to make sure during character creation that every PC was two important qualities: understandable goals and motivations, and admirable qualities. 'Understandable' does not mean sympathetic, they don't have to be misguided heroes, it does mean that a normal person should be able to follow the logic the character used to get to where they are. Ideally, the characters' goals should be ones that everyone can understand why you'd want, but also agree that you probably shouldn't want it. The second important point is that 'admirable traits' doesn't mean you need to compromise their lack of morality; intelligence, determination, patience, social capability & dignity are all traits most people admire in a person without having any connection to whether they're a good person. So long as both those boxes are checked the PCs should at least be interesting people to follow so that you don't wind up with the usual problem of evil campaigns; the story of 4 people murderfucking their way across the land for the evuls just isn't that interesting.
>>
File: 1494787549189.jpg (223KB, 1560x1562px) Image search: [Google]
1494787549189.jpg
223KB, 1560x1562px
Why not just run Dark Heresy if they don't like medieval style games? Everyone is evil in that universe.
>>
>>54989653
its not that they dont like medieval, i dont know what era we want to run yet
>>
>>54989653
What makes them evil?
>>
bump for later
>>
>>54992056
>Most brutal regime man has ever known
>Millions of soldiers thrown into the meat grinder by incompetent generals
>Anyone can be executed at any time for heresy
>Even the faithful and just can be executed for knowing too much

That's just off the top of my head
>>
>>54987472
>but the world being destroyed is a good thing for the bad guys
The fuck kind of glass dick you been sucking on, cochise? I LIVE in the world. I don't want it destroyed. I want it mine. The world is mine.

And I don't give a good goddamn what I have to do to get it.
>>
>>54988055
Not OP, but screencapped this for future use. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>54994476
every other wizard has spent years perfecting their ultimate ritual to help absorb the energy from all living things or crash a meteor into the planet, those fools have all wasted their time. i have simply cast a summoning spell and am making copies of the tarrasque!
>>
>>54994438
>>Most brutal regime man has ever known
Well, it succeeded keeping humanity strong in the face of an otherwise openly hostile galaxy and ensured that the fittest survive
>>Millions of soldiers thrown into the meat grinder by incompetent generals
Ok I concede you this one l, but it is important to note that sometimes the meat grinder is warranted to make sure Humanity as a whole survives
>>Anyone can be executed at any time for heresy
Well, since heretics range from anti-establishment terrorists to people willing to sell not only their soul, but the souls of other to other worldly being and aliens, I say it's rightly warranted.
>>Even the faithful and just can be executed for knowing too much
Even the best of us can fall. It saves them the suffering, and preserves their better memory.

3/4, I'd say the Imperium is mostly good to be honest.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.