[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wish we could turn back time, to the good old days...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 33

File: warhammer.jpg (139KB, 340x595px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer.jpg
139KB, 340x595px
wish we could turn back time, to the good old days...
>>
>>54972949
Nah I'm good. Thanks.
>>
>>54972949
the song you are quoting is gay. You are gay. Neck yourself Le'monjello.
>>
Total Warhammer 4
>>
Happy with Kow now. don't want to play 8th or 9thage. they feel unnecessary complex and clunky
>>
File: High_Elves_6_Cover.jpg (25KB, 180x248px) Image search: [Google]
High_Elves_6_Cover.jpg
25KB, 180x248px
>>54972949
They were gone before we realized how good it was. I didn't even mind the point reduction because the game played so well in 5th.
>>
>>54972949
>The old books still exist and GW can't do any more damage to what's there
>Buying minis from ebay, third party, or Chinamen is cheaper than GW ever was
>Solid WHF video games, more on the way
>WFRP 4e coming soon and will be based on 2e

It's a bummer that the setting is dead but honestly now is a great time to be a Warhammer fan.
>>
>>54977421
Then why is the fanbase half dead? This always seems to happen with games, even when no one can stop you from still playing them and all the old fluff and rules are available. Two-thirds of the community just dies off.
>>
>>54979467
Maybe that's just what happens when there's a new thing. As much as I hate AoS and everything it represents it seems to be giving people something they thought WFB needed in terms of being an enjoyable tabletop game so they migrated. There are always gonna be people who prefer the new thing to the old thing and vice versa so while it might be harder to find a pickup game at the FLGS you can always try to get new people into the hobby. Hell, I've seen more people in /whg/ asking how to get into the tabletop game since Total War Warhammer came out than I ever did before then.

Maybe I'm biased because I've always been more into the RPGs than the TTG so I'm used to working with a small player-base but even though WHF will probably be forgotten eventually the immediate future is pretty bright. Best you can do is let your wallet do the talking and hope AoS tanks.
>>
File: IMG_7784.jpg (2MB, 1500x1453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7784.jpg
2MB, 1500x1453px
I like age of sigmar. I really do. I'm even warming up to the setting (vermintide introduced me, so I was expecting the old world). I just hate the stormcucks.
>>
>>54979911
>Best you can do is let your wallet do the talking and hope AoS tanks.

Counterproductive and unlikely. If AoS does well there is a greater chance GW is in a position to support Fantasy. In fact it is with WHF RP coming out soonish.

AoS tanks, GW loses money, cant fund new projects and 0 chance of fantasy. Your post was pretty sound till the very end there.

GW is already opening more channels of communication. So if you don't like AoS, no need to even spend, just post on GW facebook and outline a well structured post why you think WHF should be refocused on.
>>
rather I want an end times of 40k
>>
>>54982368
>wanting nuGW touching fantasy
*shudder*
>>
>>54982266
The fact that there are so many games about Old World kinda baffles me. I understand that most of these projects were started before AoS was a thing, but you'd think GW would push its new flagship setting more and not market nostalgia for a setting coming under the axe.
>>
>>54984314
They've got a huge IP that people still like, why not cater to that in avenues other than a miniatures game? Plus If you don't use an IP, you can lose it/less likely to be able to stop others from using it.
>>
File: site_logo.png (15KB, 320x99px) Image search: [Google]
site_logo.png
15KB, 320x99px
Join us. Great community, and I really mean community. There's Middlehammer too.

>>54982368

>I need GW to tell me what to do: the post
>>
>>54984280
>>54982368
>>54979911 and >>54977421 here, that was part of my original point. As long as GW keeps licensing WHF out to other companies and keeps their fucking hands off of it creatively I'll gladly keep giving them my money. The teams behind TWW and WFRP have been doing more justice to the WHF IP than GW has on its own in years. Don't boycott GW, just buy the good shit.
>>
>>54984342
>Plus If you don't use an IP, you can lose it/less likely to be able to stop others from using it.
That is not how copyright works at all. Jesus christ /tg/.
>>
>>54979467
The answer to that is one you don't want to hear: Few people still love WHFB.

There is nothing stopping anyone who owns a WHFB army and its books from playing whatever edition they want. Well, nothing except that 'want' bit. If these people wanted to play WHFB, they would. D&D 3.5 has been unsupported for 10 years now and it still has a healthy community playing the game.

The only reason why the WHFB community is half dead is because the people who leave don't want to play WHFB anymore.
>>
>>54984810

Not fully true, the amount I see on here of "well it's a 100 mile drive to the FLGS so I play 40k/WMH because otherwise I won't always get a game" suggests to me a lot of the time, people move with the crowd not fully willingly. Others have the mentality that there is no "hobby" outside what GW is trying to sell them at the moment, so they jump from project to project every few months.

Compared to the UK, where you're tripping over gaming clubs and manufactures, there's a lot more variety and a decent amount of Oldhammer types.
>>
>>54984887
The "but it's 100 miles to the nearest FLGS" excuse works for US citizens (and even then there should be plenty of locals in the cities) but less so for the European ones, where hobby stores are a short train or bus away.

Yet Fantasy is also going the way of the dodo over here, with communities either moving on en-masse or slowly seeing people trickle away to AoS or other games. A few communities band together here and there and keep the game alive (heck, there are still people playing LotR in places, despite the game being pretty dead), but by and large people have moved on willingly.
>>
>>54985028
Why then? I can't really play for lack of community, but the store is planning to try and get people for AoS. It's the only way my Empire will actually get any play unless I buy something like Island of Blood for some friends to get in, and there's no guarantee they would be interested. If there were people playing I'd try the game, but there isn't. For all you hear that TWW and Vermintide helped the hobby, it's not felt everywhere.
>>
>>54972949
Living with regret is for losers.
>>
>>54985372
Because few people still love Fantasy. For all the bluster about "the good old days" the majority of players simply prefers the now. If they did prefer the good old days, we'd have more Fantasy communities.

It's not an answer people who still want to enjoy Fantasy want to hear, but it is what's happening: Fantasy's playerbase is moving on, either to AoS or other non-GW systems. And since there is nothing stopping them from continuing to play Fantasy, most of them are doing so willingly.
>>
>>54984810
That's true. I stopped loving it around 2007. I have also lost a lot of respect for the setting ever since I found out how much is blatantly plagiarised.

It get my into reading Michael Moorcock, though.
>>
>>54972949
I wish, that I could turn back time.
Cause now the guilt is all mine.
Can't live without the trust from those you love.
I know, you can't forget the past. You can't forget love and pride!
Because of that, it's killing me inside.

It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down tumbling down tumbling dooooown.
It all returns to noooothing, I just keep tumbling down tumbling down tumbling doooooown.
In my heart of hearts, I know that I could never love again.
I've lost everything
Eeeeeeverything.
Everything that matters to me matters in this world!
>>
>>54985419
Tbf, if I'm going to play a game like that I'd want to play one that still gets updates to keep it fresh. Fantasy lost its appeal to me because it wasn't supported by GW anymore, otherwise I'd still be happily playing it.
>>
>>54985419
I would argue there is a lot of demand for old fantasy based on the fact that the community itself has worked up homebrew alternatives, as well as the fact that TWW sold so well. Nu-hammer wouldn't be so bad if not for shit-cad eternals and the shitty models in general.
>>
>>54986714
As a bit of an outsider, its really only the stormfuckers keeping me away from the game. I mean, why would I ever play this game over 40k?
>>
I wish I could a few copies of whfrp for cheaper than 80 fucking dollars. The first gotrek and felix book was literally my first lgs purchase, and I love the setting so much.
>>
>>54972949

I still play and collect 6th ed armies.

Recently bought some Poxwalkers, plan is to replace their heads with chaos warrior heads and use them as Marauders. Plus some Blight Kings to count as Dogs of War Ogres. Gonna be a pretty cool, thematic Nurgle Hordes of Chaos force.
>>
>>54972949
3E is love, 3E is life
>>
>>54979467
>Then why is the fanbase half dead? This always seems to happen with games, even when no one can stop you from still playing them and all the old fluff and rules are available. Two-thirds of the community just dies off.
because neckbeards play games to get nerd credibility and dead games bestow little of those, they only give you grognard points.

it's all about attention whoring by showing the latest stuff, haven't you learned that yet? this gets fanned by game publishers of course who mock grognards because they're scared of them.
>>
>>54974597

Same, though I mourn the loss of the old world.
>>
>>54979911
>even though WHF will probably be forgotten eventually the immediate future is pretty bright
he unironically believes that GW won't resurrect the setting in a few years under much fanfare to get applauded by GW fanboys for it, when they murdered it in the first place.

>this is the nu nu GW now, right?
>>
>>54972949
6th is best
>>
>>54988175
>in a few years
Nah, the niche of low-fantasy will be full already
>>
>>54988175
The setting is more or less already revived by virtue of GW letting it be used by CA in Total War. The real question is whether they plan on ever releasing models for the old world ever again, and if they do if they'll be decent or if they'll look like the CAD shit they've been queefing out for AoS.

The bizzare thing is TWW has given a lot of people an itch for huge armies with lots of infantry, but GW has moved in the direction of larger models for skirmish games. I honestly doubt we'll ever get to the point where they release affordable models (1$ per figure) with the idea of building a large force that isn't just a half a dozen center piece models plopped down.
>>
>>54977421
>Buying minis from ebay, third party, or Chinamen is cheaper than GW ever was

Where's the best place to get such stuff? Taobao isn't turning anything up (though I may just be using the wrong terms, it's finicky).
>>
>>54977421
The Chinese bootlegs also uses a more poisonous form of resin.
>>
>>54979467
Because
>an odd number of people lust after and need the new shiny in the game they play
>it's hard to get a gaming group to agree on which old edition is best
>Kings of War is more fun and supported
>>
>>54972949
Bore off
>>
>>54991822
The whole chinaman process is weird. Its apparently all about getting the email of the guy who makes them, and having him change his contact info every now and then because he'll get the authorities on him, so no one hands it out.
>>
>>54984314
it's because AoS literally has no soul and derives from shit storytelling only intended to sell overpriced minis to children, while WHFB has an old and noble history that includes witty historical allusions with 80s over-the-top sillyness
>>
>>54988892
by what?
>>
>>54992383

Sounds a bit extreme. I've bought quite a few bootleg Gunpla kits and Bandai are a company orders of magnitude larger than piddly GW.

I've got a couple of bootleg FW kits (which are, rather astonishingly of a higher quality than the originals). I was more looking for KO plastics, I keep hearing that they're out there but I've yet to find any.
>>
>>54995137
>Sounds a bit extreme. I've bought quite a few bootleg Gunpla kits and Bandai are a company orders of magnitude larger than piddly GW.

Meant to add: and those companies advertise openly. I doubt you'd have anything to fear from GW considering China's IP laws (or lack thereof). Most of the 'recasts' that come out of China are from companies being cheap, having all the work done over there (like Industria Mechanika) and then wondering how their stuff is suddenly turning up on eBay at a quarter of the price.
>>
>>54972949
I too am waiting for the release of Classic Coke
>>
>>54982368
Let's play a "spot the shill" game
>GW is already opening more channels of communication.
Promotion and smm =l= communication.
Fellow Empire and Brets players, trust me, the salvation is comming.
>>
File: Succ.png (788KB, 1045x588px) Image search: [Google]
Succ.png
788KB, 1045x588px
>>54972949
Just play kings of war you twat.
>>
>>54982368
>If AoS does well there is a greater chance GW is in a position to support Fantasy
Wrong
>>
>>54991893
This. GW has access to a proprietary natural resin casting material derived from ancient druid groves. It can align your chakras when inhaled in dust form. In contrast, the resin used by the dirty yellowskin pirates of the far east is made entirely of VOCs, BPA, and POC. It can give you cancer if you even look at it for too long
>>
>>54998889
If you read the rest of the post you would understand
>>
>>54999154
Anon, why would gw support fantasy if AoS makes them money?
Think before you post or else we're gonna get AoS vidya.
>>
>>54999154
I've read and yiu are still wrong
AoS does well -> more Moba/MMO cartoonish shit for kids who cannot work with 32-scale.
>>
I was looking into getting into Warhammer recently and I was a bit confused as to why everyone called the medieval one "Warhammer Fantasy" when it was called Age of Sigmar on the GW website. Now I think I get it.
>>
>>54999870
Don't be a meme.

Then again with TW's success there's a slim chance you're being serious. Warhammer was discontinued and replaced with Age of Sigmar some time ago, not long before Total War: Warhammer and was first announced actually and Vermintide first came out. Very ironic.
>>
>>54999955
I'm serious, tho I haven't played any of the vidya, it's just a coincidence that I got interested in it around now.

You made me a bit confused tho, I tough AoS was just some new edition or something for fantasy and that some people didn't liked it, but you made it sound like it's a completely new thing altogether, sort of like 40k was.
>>
>>55000154
Fantasy was the setting you play in the vidya. It wasn't selling so great, so GW decided to kill it and replace it with a new setting that's kinda-sorta based on the old one but with a drastic shift in tone, and also with giant dudes in golden armour because lord knows we don't have enough of those yet.
>>
>>55000154
you gave yourself away
>>
>>55000223
As someone who really isn't into giant dudes with giant armor around them, I am sorry to hear that, but hey at least now I know what it is exactly that I am looking at when I go to the GW site.

>>55000283
My newfag shitposting is sincere.
>>
>>55000304
Yeah, it was a controversial decision to say the least. Hell, shitloads of people (me included if I'm honest) are still pissed at GW about it. Loved that setting heart and soul, had about £2k worth of High Elves. I'd advise getting into the books; Gotrek and Felix is a good place to start. If you want a fantasy TTG, give Kings of War a shot, from what I hear it's pretty good.
>>
>>54984521
>and I really mean community.
you sound like a WoW fan who found a private vanilla server where they can jerk gnomes off for the rest of their days
>>
>>54985372
>For all you hear that TWW and Vermintide helped the hobby, it's not felt everywhere
that's cause those people aren't nostalgic for an old fantasy game they never played
>>
>>54999324
>AoS vidya

What would that even be like? Some MobadotaCoD bullshit?
>>
>>54988138
>salt
>vitriol
>angry old man who's mad that no one likes his version of toy soldiers

lmao you need some blood work done, take a break and watch your cholesterol
>>
>>54994173
/thread
>>
>>55000486
>lmao you need some blood work done
that's actually correct

>take a break and watch your cholesterol
nah, my cholestrol is fine, i largely keep a healthy diet
>>
>>54999454
>implying kids have money to afford this
and before you go try and say >b-b-b-ut parents have money
you're kidding yourself if you think GW's demographic isn't men aged 25-50
>>
>>55000555
holy fuck nice trips
>>
>>55000416
Holy shit dude, you have more money on that stuff than I've probably made in my whole life

Since i'm already around here, I'll check out that book you mentioned. Got any good newbie friendly 40k fiction too?
>>
>>55000586
Not that anon, but Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts is my recommendation.
>>
>>55000586
Don't worry underageb&, we all start somewhere, you'll make plenty of money in the future

Sure, there's a ton
Eisenhorn books
Last Chancers
Path Of The Eldar
Path Of The Dark Eldar
Horus Heresy series (has its ups and downs, but overall I like it.
>>55000626 Also this guy knows whats up, Gaunts Ghosts is excellent. What armies are you looking at, if any?
>>
>>55000676
>playing 40k instead of just adopting the setting

You're doing it wrong
>>
>>55000676
>>55000626
I'll check to see which one seems like the most interesting and I'll start from there.

>What armies are you looking at, if any?

I like the look of the adeptus mechanicus, but admittedly I know very little of them or any of the factions, and I don't even think I've seen them all, which is sort of why I was interested in reading some of the histories of the universe, per se.
>>
>>54984314
Fantasy vidya often requires solid lore to get people invested, especially if it's going full RPG. AoS lore is repugnant to basically everyone, so using it for a videogame setting is pretty much a non-option. It's also the 'wrong' kind of setting if you want normie popularity these days - dark fantasy is currently a great deal more well-liked by the general public than whatever AoS is.
>>
>>55000751
Coolio, I can give you a basic summary of the playable races
Marines: genetically enhanced medieval knights in space, courage and honour etc.
Chaos marines: As above, but they fell to the dark gods of the setting and are now their evil counterpart. Use daemons n shit. Oh yeah there's daemons too
Chaos daemons: born of the concentrated psychic reflections of every sapient being, they serve one of the 4 Chaos Gods, which are the "big evil" of the setting- Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch. Hellbent on destroying all life except when they aren't.
Astra Militarum; Used to be called the Imperial Guard, these are just normal human men and women enlisted into fighting for humanity. Usually the underdogs, they win their wars through grit, determination, courage, and throwing bodies at the enemy until he can't move. Also fuckhuge tanks.
Mechanicus/Skitarii: beep boop robot dudes. They make all the crazy tech the Imperium has, jealously guard all their tech, willing to kill to discover new tech but also kill people who try to invent new tech. Probably makes more sense if you've replaced your brain with a toaster.
Sisters of Battle: Nuns with guns. Think space catholics, they're fanatically religious and burn everyone they think is a heretic. Also GW hates them, they've only had one and a half releases in 20 fucking years.
>Eldar: Elves in space. Used to rule the galaxy, but they murderfucked one of the aforementioned chaos gods, specifically Slaanesh, into existence, and in so doing killed 90% of their race outright and doomed the remaining 10% to have their souls eaten by Slaanesh when they die. Also arrogant as fuck, don't care about any other species.
>Dark Eldar: As above, but also fucked up BDSM torture fetishists. YMMV.
>Ynnari: Fuck off I'm not explaining this retarded shit, some cunt united all the Eldar or something.
>>
>>55000916
>Tau: closest thing the setting has to "good guys". They'll generally try diplomacy rather than shooting first, but don't get on their bad side because they have high tech guns and giant robot battlesuits and also space communism.
Necron: Ancient race made a deal with some bloogy-woogiers from beyond the stars and got all their souls downloaded into beep boop Terminator bodies. Have hands-down the best tech out of all the factions. Got an ancient Egyptian thing going on. Uses spider-robots and giant green pyramids firing disintegration beams.
Tyranids: scary fuckass dinosaur-insects from another galaxy, they want to eat EVERYTHING (yes, especially that. That too. And that.) and that's pretty much all there is to them. Short and sweet.
>Orks: Fuck I love these guys. 8-foot-tall hulking green brutes whose entire lives revolve around giving out as much violence as possible, especially to each other. Have janky-ass tech, basically bits of scrap bolted together but it works because they believe it will. They get bigger and meaner the more stuff they kill (big warbosses are like 15 feet tall) and often replace limbs and body parts with stapled-on cybernetics. They also all have ridiculous cockney accents like Bert from Mary Poppins. These guys are the essence of 40k, for me.

I think that's most of them, hope this helps. I'm missing out on VAST quantities of details here, just a very rough outline.
>>
>>55000916
>>55000994
That's very helpful, at least to start with. I think I like the space warrior nun things too.

Is it possible to like, combine different types of armies? I imagine you have to at least have people from the same side, but is there any rules against using different factions at once?
>>
>>55001246
you can take detachments of allies. You can find most of the basic books to get an idea of rules on Warhammer 40k General
>>
File: Impractical_shoes.jpg (400KB, 842x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Impractical_shoes.jpg
400KB, 842x1200px
>>55001246
>I think I like the space warrior nun things too
I'm so sorry, anon. I do too, but GW hates them. I'll drop a few bits of 40k art, get the general aesthetic across. First up, the lovely Sisters of Battle
>>
File: Fuck yeah.jpg (677KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck yeah.jpg
677KB, 1680x1050px
>>55001394
This is one of the spaceships the Space Marines use, specifically a Battle Barge. Note the handy snowplough on the front, always handy for the pragmatic commander.
>>
>>55001407
Space Marines of the Black Templars chapter. If you like the whole religious zealotry thing the Sisters have going on, these guys do it too whilst also having affordable and modern(ish) models!
>>
File: Happy Orks.jpg (360KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Orks.jpg
360KB, 1500x1200px
>>55001417
These are the Orks. They just want to have fun and chop some 'eads off.
>>
>>55001417
I like how they look in that picture, the armor doesn't look as ridiculously massive as I see in many other places.
>>
File: non-binary fleshqueer.jpg (56KB, 324x515px) Image search: [Google]
non-binary fleshqueer.jpg
56KB, 324x515px
>>55001423
Necron Lord. May or may not have a god stored in a pokeball on his hip.
>>
File: Nurgle_happy.jpg (213KB, 900x1182px) Image search: [Google]
Nurgle_happy.jpg
213KB, 900x1182px
>>55001436
Yeah, it varies wildly from artist to artist. Having said that, 40k is an inherently ridiculous setting, it's just very tongue-in-cheek about it. If something is so ridiculous you want to laugh at it, you were probably supposed to.
This is Nurgle, the Chaos God of decay, disease and despair. He does not wash under his arms.
>>
>>55001454
This is Slaanesh, prince of pleasure and excess. The one the Eldar murderfucked into existence. Is it male or female? YES.
>>
File: spy.jpg (160KB, 752x1114px) Image search: [Google]
spy.jpg
160KB, 752x1114px
>>55001467
Priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Last seen on Robot Wars.
>>
File: Scorpion Exarch.jpg (121KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
Scorpion Exarch.jpg
121KB, 800x557px
>>55001473
The green chap is an Eldar. Not exactly your average one, but I couldn't find a pic of that.
>>
File: AGP.png (556KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
AGP.png
556KB, 863x752px
>>55001491
Imperial Guardsman. He doesn't need power armour or genetic enhancements, he's just a badass with grapefruit-sized balls.
>>
>>55001454
That's ok, it's just a personal pet-peeve, I don't find massive bodies with small heads to be particularly aesthetically pleasing.

>>55001467
>>55001473
>>55001491
>>55001499
I take it these are all characters from novels, right?
>>
>>55001499
This is Sanguinius, one of the God-Emperors chosen sons, who died trying to save his father from his traitorous other son.
>>
File: best_primarch.jpg (3MB, 2709x3632px) Image search: [Google]
best_primarch.jpg
3MB, 2709x3632px
>>55001522
OH SHIT MIS-CLICKED WRONG PIC HERE'S THE RIGHT ONE
>>55001522
Ahem. Sorry about that. The first two aren't specific characters, they're just generic characters of their type. The Green Eldar guy is Karandras, he's been featured in the Path of The Eldar series I mentioned, but he's not the protagonist. The last guy is actually from a fan fiction, but a very well written one that I can recommend: http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/. It's a silly comedic one, but it stays pretty true to the actual lore (more so than some of the official stuff).
>>
>>55001522
Man, new GW art sure suck. Is this AoS?
>>
File: 1297981295163.jpg (120KB, 804x971px) Image search: [Google]
1297981295163.jpg
120KB, 804x971px
>>55001467
>two breasts
>>
File: Tyranid_art_fex_gaunts.jpg (436KB, 1280x799px) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_art_fex_gaunts.jpg
436KB, 1280x799px
>>55001561
These are Tyranids, scary ass bugs ripped directly from the Alien franchise.
>>
>>55001574
Audibly kek'd. Nope, it's something far, far better
>>55001589
You can pretend it has a dick under the loincloth if you want. It probably does.
>>
File: 1330331403021.png (27KB, 215x203px) Image search: [Google]
1330331403021.png
27KB, 215x203px
>>55001603
Not like it'd be surprising anymore.
>>
ITT: autists
>>
File: Tzeentch.jpg (580KB, 1740x936px) Image search: [Google]
Tzeentch.jpg
580KB, 1740x936px
>>55001592
Daemon of Tzeentch. Does all thaty future-seeing fate deciding bullshit, and also loves birds for some reason.
>>
File: khorne_by_alexboca-d792xv6.jpg (851KB, 801x572px) Image search: [Google]
khorne_by_alexboca-d792xv6.jpg
851KB, 801x572px
>>55001629
Khorne the Blood God, sitting his lazy ass on his skull throne. Probably annoyed about something, he usually is.
>>
File: Ghazghkull_vs._Yarrick.jpg (472KB, 885x1114px) Image search: [Google]
Ghazghkull_vs._Yarrick.jpg
472KB, 885x1114px
>>55001647
Ork warlord Ghazghkull Thraka fighting Commissar Yarrick of the Astra Militarum
>>
>>55001664
Rapey edgy space pirate elves ahoy!
>>
>>55001680
Here's one of the Eldar, they take a lot of inspiration from Celtic and Japanese culture. I'm tapped out for images now, so I hope this all helps get a sense of what 40k is about.
>>
>>55001664
Glad to see the meatshields do get their moments of glory in the universe.

>>55001697
It does, the art you posted is a lot nicer than the one I saw in the official site desu
>>
>>54999023
You should always handle resin with care, but the stuff Chinaman uses is objectively more toxic than the stuff they use at GW. The Chinese also mix it out with grey paint so no one will notice that it's a different material.
>>
>>55001918
What am I supposed to do with resin anyway? It's not like I'm going to eat it. As long as I don't breathe the dust I'll be fine
>>
>>54977278
Dear fucking god I remember 6th edition High Elves.

>Intrigue At Court
Fuck that rule so fucking much. Used to hang out on forums back in the day and chat with playtesters about it, and apparently it was literally added in at the 11th hour, with no consultation at all, as "hey this'll be funny, let's do that".
>>
>>55002626
Apparently the Chinese resin evaporate fumes that you don't want to inhale. So if you have a lot of it and poor ventilation it could become an issue.
>>
File: 1482963619393.jpg (509KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1482963619393.jpg
509KB, 1536x2048px
>>55000555
>you're kidding yourself if you think GW's demographic isn't men aged 25-50
Nice try redshirt, but all GW products now 8+ rated
>>
>>55002642
Oh piss off, my entire army had a chance of disobeying me every turn and I didn't complain about it.
>>
>>55001918
>>55002626
>>55002676

This reminds me of when they warn that counterfeit alcohol or cigarettes can "induce nausea, vomiting, cancer and even death", as if that's not what real brands of alcohol or cigarettes do anyway.

You don't want to be breathing in filings of Forge World resin either, I don't think you have to approach China resin particularly differently. If you don't have a facemask, do it under water.
>>
>>55001918
How, exactly, is it different, and what is the source of your knowledge? Your vague claims seem to be "objective" bullshit
>>
File: Skaven nightmare vision.jpg (130KB, 756x412px) Image search: [Google]
Skaven nightmare vision.jpg
130KB, 756x412px
>>54972949
>>54973048

WE USED TO PLAY PRETEND, NOW WE ALL HAVE TRADEMARKED NAMES

HAVE SKRYRE BUILD A ROCKET SHIP AND WE COULD START OVER AGAIN

Used to dream of plot progression GW was stuck in a recession sayin' WAKE UP (WE NEED TO MAKE MONEY, YUH)

wish we could turn back time, to the good old days...When Jes Goodwin sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out
>>
>>55002642
That attitude is also what made earlier editions great.
>>
WHFB is dead.

AoS is fucking killing it in terms of sales.

Stay mad or get over it, no-body gave a shit about WHFB.
>>
>>55005739
Source: your ass.
>>
>>55001647
You know for something called the skull throne, it sure doesn't have a lot of skulls. It looks like it needs more.

Holy shit that's how they get you. Darn cult recruiters.
>>
>>55005739
It's 40k, you idiot
>>
>>55006045
>implying there's a difference
>>
>>55006079
People actually play 40k
>>
I wish whfb could have died a dignified death.

Anyone who plays AoS is objectively retarded.
>>
>>55006151
They basically raped and killed the corpse, and are now wearing it as a second skin.
Everyone "playing" the old armies and expecting them to be supported is delusional
>>
>>55005739
>WHFB is dead
Yes, we figured that one out a couple of years ago.
>AoS is fucking killing it in terms of sales
Fantasy is dead so any sale is higher than the 0 it currently brings.
Also if it's dead how can AoS be killing it?
>>
>>55005739

>correlation implies causation

yeah okay
>>
>>55000469
A WoWkiller, obviously.
>>
>>54998571
Its shit tho.
>>
>>55000469
Bamham combat.
>>
>>54977421
>>WFRP 4e coming soon and will be based on 2e
I don't understand the love for 2e, it feels like those weird OSR people.
>>
>>55010815
>warhammer fantasy with all crap taken out is shit
Don't complain about AoS then.
>>
So, fantasy battles isn't coming back?
>>
>>55001407

That's not a Barge Barge, it's an Imperial Navy Capital Ship.

Pic related is a Battle Barge.
>>
>>54972949
I recently picked up my old 6th Ed Dark Elves army book, just to have a glance around it since I'm running a WHFR game soon.

Jesus Christ the writing is so much better, the designs, the lore, it's fucking excellent. The amount of thought and thematic consideration that went into every design absolutely shits all over modern GW - I would fucking love to see the old Executioners or Cold One Knights sculpted with newer, more detailed techniques. And DAT ART, my god, I forgot how incredible it was. I may actually scan some of this stuff just so that it will exist on the internet in an acceptable resolution.

I feel genuinely disgusted when I look at AoS stuff now.
>>
>>55022159
AoS is like a brain tumour
>>
>>55001697
You forgot classical greece as influence.
>>
File: IMG_2861.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2861.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>game that literally was killed because fans stopped buying from GW and started buying third party minis and sculpts
>surprised that GW kills the game and discontinues the factions that third parties made most profit on

I don't see how anyone is surprised here.
>>
>>55022847

I don't think 3rd party sales were the main cause at all, maybe a contributor (hence AoS being an IP lawyer's dream), but if anything the railroading of 8th into a game where you could have to spend £100 on a unit of 20 and constant big plastic kits simply wasn't the right approach to sustaining the game. Because they didn't want to sustain it any more, Fantasy was too hard work compared to 40klite.
>>
>>55022847
>people are still not buying the new product in any greater amount despite the expenses in game development (which was twelve kawamas), repackaging, and new books
>>
>>55014956
Hating change and insisting shitty mechanics are the best are central to assuming the identity of a warhammer fan.
>>
>>55022847
Third party sales were irrelevant, the issue was that the normal GW-supported game size became so staggeringly huge that nobody was willing or able to afford the models. Who the fuck wants to buy, build and paint 600 goblins.
>>
>>55023145
I do, I just don't want to field that many since moving, setting up, and then packing back such a force is a hassle.
>>
>>55023219
The pay off to that was always pretty bad. The game lent itself way too much to having a unit wiped out to want to invest in an impressive looking 100 models in to something that could get run down due to a bad roll or eaten by a pit of shades, and the armies that could pull that off naturally started looking for models that you could buy cheaply because 2-4$ per figure is ridiculous.

They kind of missed the whole point that they should be selling convenience to collect instead of playing monopolistic business, because competitors showed up and started kicking their asses in model sales. I mean I'd love to do a battle with a thousand figures, but GW never made it easy to do so. Hell, just having the option to collect a small menagerie of whatever force grabbed your attention would have been great, but when the minimum for an army was ~200$, investing that much just to try something out was ridiculous.
>>
Nothing stopping anybody pirating an old PDF of the old rules and playing with them with somebody who'll agree to. Just stick to the allocated unites for that edition and you're golden. Hell you can even use contemporary models, just stick them on a regiment base (or rectangle of cardboard with holes cut out and glued ontop of a sheet of card if you can't find one.) Get enough people to acquiesce and you might restart something.
>>
File: Sexecutioners.jpg (32KB, 796x178px) Image search: [Google]
Sexecutioners.jpg
32KB, 796x178px
>>55022159
>>
>>55023145
I think part of teh trouble is the perception that the game should be played on a huge scale. By making more of smaller, skirmish scale, games that required only a little bit of investment at a time it could have been a much more attractive prospect. I think that's also part of the reason AoS moved into circular bases, the sort of subconscious drive of regimenting and building formations with square bases leading to a lack of dynamic modelling which really brings a sense of character to skirmish scale.
>>
>>54991822

Facebook groups are also a goldmine of low price minis, expecially the old ones
>>
>>55023145
>who wants to deal with power creep?

Why play any game?
>>
>>55027784

that was not power creep, that was troop bloat.
>>
>>55014956
I like 2e because when I pick up WFRP I'd rather play a high lethality PnP RPG, not a weird card game/beta test for a Star Wars ruleset.
>>
>>55027740
I can't find any facebook groups at all. I guess I don't know how to search for them.
>>
File: darkelf31.jpg (122KB, 777x676px) Image search: [Google]
darkelf31.jpg
122KB, 777x676px
>>55026647
Damn straight.

6th ed Delves were fucking brilliant. LOOK at this nigga. Look at that sleek, yet brutal and unquestionably tanky design. Look at that well-considered armour, that perfect balance of style and functionality, that sheer personality. This image is worth more than the entirety of AoS.

I would love a unit that was a mixture between these guys and Executioners - essentially Cold One Knights on foot with stats reflecting the lore regarding dark elf noble dueling weapons (shortsword for quick, paralyzing strikes, greatsword for the following execution).

God these designs are such gold.
>>
File: actual real lore.jpg (355KB, 854x1067px) Image search: [Google]
actual real lore.jpg
355KB, 854x1067px
>>55030107
Here's the accompanying fluff for that image, by the way.

There's more flavour in this one page than in every single battlescroll, book, and novel AoS has produced so far.
>>
>>55030107
>all that shit
Lmao, just shoot them my dude guns already exist fuck your armor.
>>
>>55030182
Even IRL, where we don't have elves with sorcerous smithing techniques and esoteric crafting materials, there was a lot of plate that even high-yield muskets struggled to penetrate. Generally it wasn't worn across the whole body, as it had to be very thick, but guns do not possess the magical ability to just ignore armour, especially early(ish) guns.
>>
>>55002642
I'm a pleb. Explain Intrigue at Court?
>>
>>55014956
I've got a nostalgic love for the old D% rules since my first exposure to /tg/ stuff was finding my dad's WFRPG 1e rulebook in a box somewhere when I was six, so

I'm looking forwards to it. Zweihander's probably going to play better, but eh.
>>
>>55002642
I had a blast with 6th but the author of the HE book should be hanged, drawn and quartered.
>>
>>55023621
>wiped out to want to invest in an impressive looking 100 models in to something that could get run down due to a bad roll
I only played 8th ed WHFB: the post
>>
>>55031511
Nah man, in 8th hordes lasted the entire fucking game if they were big enough.
The whole routing thing seems more like bitching about 6th.
>>
>>55031556
People weren't bitching about Pit of Shades in 6th.

That said, if you're gonna complain about a spell, you should be complaining about Purple Bullshit of Xereus.
>>
>>55031789
What about Occam's razor?
>>
>>55031855
Okkam's Assrazor was obviously ridiculous, but it didn't have the same potential to swallow an entire flank instantly.
>>
>>55026647

Such great miniatures ... aside from the swords that would come off if a small child looked at them.

(i know I know as long as you are reasonably careful they were fine but accidents happen)
>>
File: Goblins Night Goblins.jpg (344KB, 755x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Goblins Night Goblins.jpg
344KB, 755x1039px
Started with 4th edition myself.

(not counting reading my uncles old WDs and 2nd edition rules that I found in my grans house)
>>
>>55030372
Random selection of the general in a game in which the survival of such general is absolutely fucking vital so instead of the mighty hero you get as the general a fuckhead.
On top of that elven heroes were squishy.
And in the fluff they were an incredibly organized army.
Beyond retarded.
>>
Was it my imagination or were "typical" armies a lot smaller back in 4th and 5th?

Was that purely down to herohammer soaking up so much of the points or were other things more expensive?

I'm trying to think back and I remember my fairly modest greenskin army at the time seeming huge compared to the more elite armies but still well below what was typical when I quit at the tail end of 8th.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.