[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General: Multiclass Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 30

File: Greyhawk map.jpg (1MB, 2048x1498px) Image search: [Google]
Greyhawk map.jpg
1MB, 2048x1498px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>>54961897

What classes have the best multiclassing synergy? What is your favorite multiclass build?
>>
Fighter + any class that depends on actions.
>>
I'm thinking of a plot involving the "reunion" of a legendary party of adventurers called the Eternal Company. This are some of them:

-Human male, Paladin (Oathbreaker, LG), now a Death Knight. This guy chose his words really poorly when making his bow to a deity and thus made his oath impossible to fulfill. He is doomed to remain unredeemed for all eternity because of this. His personality shifts from stoic to depress at times, but he remains noble and kind-hearted even now.
- Human male, Wizard (Diviner, CN). The former Wizard-King of an ancient magocracy. He was a talented and ambitious researcher of the arcane. So much so that he created an insanely powerful artifact through his forbidden knowledge of the Far Realm. Because of this, his subjects, fearing magical devastation, rebelled against him. Arrogant and prideful, he initially regarded this as treason. After countless wars were waged over the artifact he realized of the gravity of his mistake and exiled himself, becoming an adventurer. He eventually took drastic measures to prevent the artifact from ever falling into the wrong hands and Imprisioned himself into a timeless demiplane, to serve as It's warden for all eternity. While nothing can leave or enter his prison-demiplane, the artifact allow his magic to bend the rules of space and time, manifesting into other planes of existence and even to slightly shape the timeline. He is an intelligent and knowledgeable individual, but the prolonged isolation and the influence of the Far Realm has rendered him increasingly insane. He longs for companionship, new knowledge and the anything that connects him of his former life in a desperate, obsessive way.
>>
>>54971696
Favorite one I did was

Assassin Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Diviner Wizard 2/ Rogue x + Lucky
>>
>>54971765
CONT:

- Half-Elf female Rogue (Mastermind, NE). The unrecognized bastard daughter of a tyrannical elven king. As spoiled, petty, cruel, and rotten as her father. Through manipulation, intrige or outright assassination, she paved her way into the line of succession. Merely days before she was to be crowned her crimes finally caught up to her and had to flee the kingdom. Becoming ever more bitter and murderous, she survived as a thief, assassin, adventurer and everything in between. As she grew older and her legendary beauty fade, she made a pact with a demonic entity for eternal life and youth, eventually twisting her form into that of a Medusa. She remains a plotter, ever-determined to reclaim her “birth-right” one back-stab at a time. She travels under the guise of a noble elven widow covering her fearsome visage with a black veil.

I'm also thinking of adding ghost, a legendary halfling bard that “survived” through his famous poems and a dwarf warrior whom fathered 1000 childs. Thoughts?
>>
>>54971696
Revised Ranger and Monk surprisingly have some good overlap, since they're both dex/wis classes, and hunter's mark/favored enemy syngergizes well with flurry of blows.
>>
I like druid x/sorcerer 1
>>
>>54971895
for what purpose?
>>
>>54971914
Feather fall and shield, also if you go dragon you get that sweet sweet unarmored AC
>>
File: Grayhawk.png (35KB, 965x647px) Image search: [Google]
Grayhawk.png
35KB, 965x647px
>>54971696
Thank you for posting the map, I couldn't find it for ages and have been using pic related instead
>>
>>54971785
1. It's "who," not "whom"
2. Why should your players give a shit about these legendary heroes? What purpose do they serve in the story? Will they steal the limelight? Will the player characters have anything to do while they're around?
>>
>>54971776
>Assassin Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Diviner Wizard 2/ Rogue x + Lucky

Halfling?
>>
>>54971957
halfling would be best, but I was playing in a game without them
>>
>>54971955
whom'st'd'l've
>>
>>54971776
No ASI until level 7 seems a bit slow. Why the fighter level? Archery fighting style?

>>54971823
I like the combination flavorwise too, but DMs are within their rights to not allow multiclassing with the revised ranger until it's officially published outside of UA.
>>
>>54971955
1. Ok.
2. Most of them are either impaired in one way or another, or are the BBEG.
>>
>>54971823
Hunter's mark doesn't synergize with flurry all that well because they're both bonus actions. In a battle with more than one or two enemies, you need your bonus action to shift hunter's mark to new targets, which is why hunters are best as archers.

>>54972032
1. No h8
2. Sounds interesting and potentially dope. Good luck!
>>
>>54972051
>In a battle with more than one or two enemies, you need your bonus action to shift hunter's mark to new targets,
You're not going to be using flurry of blows every turn of combat, especially if said battle has more than one or two enemies. There's more than enough time to transfer the mark for up to 4d6 extra damage on the subsequent turn.
>>
>>54972021
archery fighting style, and my DM and party all unanimously agreed that ASI based on class level is retarded. Fighters and rogues get bonus ones where they would, otherwise everyone gets them at Character Level 4, 8, 12, 16 and 19
>>
>>54971933
>ac
>feather fall
that seems like a large waste of a potential druid level.
>>
>>54972091
I'd get angry at your abuse of the rules to allow for multiclass optimization but I run the table the same way.
>>
>>54971957
>>54971983
If you're going for pure dice cheese Satire Bard is up there too in a sort of suicidal way.
>>
>>54972097
Well i'm enjoying it
>>
Reminder that Sorcerers are the worst fullcasters and never worth playing beyond Sorlock/Palasorc broken multiclasses.
You can fix sorc by
>Having them use spell points instead of spell slots, they now have significantly more spells to cast and it doesn't sync with multiclassing
>Giving them a thematic to their archtype list of free spells ala Cleric/Paladin domain lists
>Buffing all the metamagics that aren't Quicken/Twinned/Subtle because they're shit compared to the previously mentioned ones
Sorcerer now inhabits its intended niche of "Guy who can cast a lot of spells in multiple ways" without being just a worse Wizard. Sorlock is still broken with these changes but that's an issue that lies inherently in Warlock's dip potential rather than Sorc's that can be solved by telling the piece of shit trying to play that combo that they're not allowed to take Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>54972411
What I find funny is that my party thinks my sorcerer is way overpowered. Because I am able to twin blight/haste, or quicken a fireball and firebolt after.
>>
File: Really_brother.png (140KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
Really_brother.png
140KB, 368x368px
>>54972468
>Lvl 1 Wiz can prep 4 spells, has 2 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>Lvl 1 Sorc has 2 spells and no ritual casting

>lvl 6 wiz has 10 spells prepped, and another 6 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>level 6 sorc has 7 spells and no ritual casting

>level 12 wiz has 17 spells prepped and another 11 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>level 12 sorc has 12 spells and no ritual casting

>lvl 20 wiz has 25 spells prepped and 19 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>lvl 20 sorc has 15 spells

Why even live as a sorc
>>
File: New Metamagic 2.0.pdf (665KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
New Metamagic 2.0.pdf
665KB, 1x1px
>>
>>54972411
sorcs also could use some spells that have a more direct link to metamagics (enemy suffers additional effects if they have disadvantage to the save, 20ft range spell with 30ft pull, etc)
>>
>>54972496
>>>54972468
>>Lvl 1 Wiz can prep 4 spells, has 2 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>Lvl 1 Sorc has 2 spells and no ritual casting
>>lvl 6 wiz has 10 spells prepped, and another 6 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>level 6 sorc has 7 spells and no ritual casting
>>level 12 wiz has 17 spells prepped and another 11 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>level 12 sorc has 12 spells and no ritual casting
>>lvl 20 wiz has 25 spells prepped and 19 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>lvl 20 sorc has 15 spells
>Why even live as a sorc
Meta magic is incredibly powerful
>>
>>54972496
Don't forget that wizards are able to regain a few spells once a day, so they are able to cast more throughout and the ability to copy scrolls etc into their spell books. I've explained this to them but it's always "How can you talk about being underpowered look at all the damage you do per turn." Yeah because I have to powergame my build, and use all my sorc points twinning and quickening things, never able to do my subclass abilities.
>>
Bard 1/warlock 2/ bard x (lore) is this a bad idea?
>>
>>54972559
what do you get from warlock 2 though? no boon, no patron.
>>
how big is faerun compared to europe
>>
>>54972590
Invocations to turn Eldritch Blast into the single greatest damage source in the game.
>>
>>54972590
I figure some of the invocations could but useful, as well as EB and short rest spell slots regain
>>
>>54972590
Evocations, level 1 Patron features like the free raven, 2 extra spell slots, and cantrips like Charisma based Eldritch Blast
>>
>>54972530
>Quickened is a tiny increase in damage because you can now cast a whole juicy cantrip with your Action, but hey at least you can Dodge/Disengage instead now
>Twinned is useless for everything except Haste/Poly/Blight
>Subtle is useless for everything except Detect Thoughts/Counterspell/Suggestion
>Empowered, Distant, Careful, Heightened, and Extended are never taken because they aren't anywhere near as good as the other 3.

Wow these metamagic options sure are absurdly powerful I love being able to be a worse wizard at everything except spamming Twinned Polymorph, I really feel like losing out on 35 spells at level 20 was really worth it since I also get another cantrip!
>>
Welp, it's been 6 hours and 31 minutes so I'll ask again.

I'm gonna be making a Kensei monk, should I go for a longsword fluffed as an arm-mounted claw, or VHuman with a warhammer and Fell-Handed?
>>
>>54972781
Why not just do what all kensei monks do and get the longsword and refluff it as a katana.
>>
>>54972802
>not refluffing a longsword as a katana refluffed as an arm-mounted claw
>>
>>54972781
Why bother wasting your free proficiencies on a d10 2handed weapon? You can take a Maul or Greatsword instead. You don't need a free hand to do unarmed strikes.
>>
>>54972802
It sounds like he wants to do something different than what everyone does
>>
>>54972825
The real question is are you still a weeb if you do that.

>>54972844
Pretty sure most recent version of kensei doesnt have greatsword or maul anymore.
>>
File: HexMap.png (2MB, 1027x771px) Image search: [Google]
HexMap.png
2MB, 1027x771px
I've been designing a War mechanic for conquering land, and I was hoping for /tg/'s feedback.

Mechanics
===
Map Awareness/Movement
---
- Warband movement is known at all times, but the number of Warbands in a group can only be identified from adjacent hexes, or from two away by Scouts.
- Each faction has a turn to move all of their Warbands. Each Warband can move one hex unless otherwise stated.
- Single non-Siege Warbands count as Scouts and can travel two hexes at a time.
- Multiple Warbands can be moved together as an group.

Unit Acquisition
---
- Non-Siege Warbands can use their turn to gather supplies while in their home settlement and become Siege Warbands.
- Mercenaries can be hired for 1000gp per Warband. They start in the faction's home settlement.
- Sanctum Mercenaries can be hired for 5000gp per Warband. They start in the Sanctum hex.
- Caches will appear in a random hex at certain times. Occupying the hex gives the occupying faction an additional Warband of their native type.

Open Combat
---
- When a Warband enters the same hex as a hostile Warband, a skirmish takes place.
- Each side takes 1 damage for each hostile, non-Siege Warband unless otherwise stated. The damage dealer decides how damage is allocated among non-Siege and Siege Warbands unless otherwise stated.
- If a Warband in a hex has a friendly Warband in an adjacent hex, the adjacent Warband can join the battle.
- If Siege Warbands are destroyed, their Siege Weapons can be taken by a Warband so the band becomes a Siege Warband, or destroyed.
- An occupying Warband can choose to flee instead of fight. They must move to an adjacent square of the attacker's choosing and take half damage.
- Individual non-Siege Warbands deal no damage unless joined by a friendly Warband.

[1/?]
>>
>>54972894
Siege Combat
---
- When a Warband or group of Warbands attacks a settlement or city, damage is dealt in the following order:
- Attacking Siege Warbands and Occupying Warbands: Each deal their damage first. If this damage eliminates the occupiers, the attackers take the city. If the occupiers deal enough damage to eliminate the attackers, their non-Siege Warbands do not deal damage.
- Attacking Non-Siege Warbands: If attacking Non-Siege Warbands remain after the first damage round, they then deal their damage to the occupying Warbands. If this is enough to eliminate them, the attackers take the city.

Spoils of War
---
- Each Warband defeated earns the winners 500gp.
- Every settlement captured earns the attackers 10,000gp.

[2/3]
>>
>>54972923
Stats
===
Each race has specific mechanics. Each Warband has 1 health and is formed of 10 units.

Humans
---
Starting Warbands: 20 non-Siege
Offensive: Ranged Weapons - Human Warbands can attack hostile Warbands from adjacent hexes without receiving damage.
Special: Engineers - A Human Warband can use its turn to create a siege weapon from nearby resources, and become a Siege Warband.

Orcs
---
Starting Warbands: 5, of which up to three can be Siege Warbands.
Offensive: Aggressive Action - Orcish Non-Siege Warbands deal double damage when fighting in open terrain, and individual Warbands still deal damage.
Special: Bloodrush - If an Orcish Warband is attacked, friendly Orcish Warbands can move from up to two hexes away to join the battle.

Elves
---
Starting Warbands: 15 non-Siege
Offensive: Magic Users - Elvish Non-Siege Warbands deal their damage before hostile Warbands.
Special: Elusive - Elves take no damage on fleeing a battle.

Mercenaries
---
Mercenary Warbands have no special abilities.

Sanctum Mercenaries
---
Offensive: Inside Man - Sanctum Mercenary Warbands function as Siege Warbands when attacking cities.
Special: Gold Rush - Sanctum Mercenary Warbands can use one of the features of the faction they work for if paid an additional 1000gp every time it's used.

[3/3]

Thoughts? Someone in another forum suggested having higher health on each Warband instead of instant death, and then being able to merge them to heal, but then that runs into difficulties in terms of damage from large bands vs. multiple small bands.
>>
>>54972650
>>54972668
>>54972687
EB is certainly the cheapest viable damage dealer but it ain't amazing. Bard spell progression is pretty tight though, taking the warlock levels is going to set you back somewhere.

I forgot some of the extra patron level1's though will have to look it up now.
>>
>>54973013
>EB is certainly the cheapest viable damage dealer but it ain't amazing.
Okay now combine it with Hex and Agonizing Blast.
>>
>>54973021
I was including AB, not sure about with Hex. Bards have plenty of better options for concentration than making themselves do slightly more damage.
>>
Why is Pala/Sorc considered good? Never really thought about that combo.

Wouldn't Pala/Warlock be better?
>>
What do you do about intelligence imbalances in groups? As a DM i have 2 players that are very smart and 3 that are actually pretty dumb.

Sometimes it works but sometimes its just the 2 smart players arguing and the other 3 are lost because having a grasp on their characters mechanics is all they are capable of. Is that just their destiny? No one is complaining so I'm not worried, just interested in what people have to say.
>>
FACT: Every adventurer should have signature headwear.
>>
>>54973073
Why do you think so? Would stylish haircut count?
>>
>>54972859
>>54972844
Unfortunately while I would LOVE to use a maul, the revised Kensei disallows Heavy weapons.
>>54972802
My character will probably be more Chinese than Japanese for one, and if I wanted a katana I'd build a Samurai.

Plus, for that matter, I recently did play a Samurai with a greatsword at that.
>>54972852
Maybe a little. I'm just wondering what sounds cooler.
>>
>>54973094
Stylish haircuts can work as well.
>>
>>54973040
>A Fighter deals 8d6+20 damage
>2 levels in Warlock gives you 4d10+4d6+20 for a level 1 spell slot

This doesn't look like an absurd increase in DPR for litte to no investment and resources to you?
>>
>>54973126
The level 1 spell slot gives that 4d6 and costs you concentration. Probably not worth it. The 4d10+20 assuming all hit is PRETTY good at maxest level. At any lower level it's potentially delaying you a spell level in bard progression for mostly good attacks.
>>
>>54973049
Use more intelligence rolls for the dumb players to give them more information on what to do, we play roleplaying games to do things we can't do in real life. Like being smart.

>>54973102
If you're going chinese I heavily recommend V Human with a spear and the Spear mastery feat. Refluff it as a Pudao, and you have a d10 weapon with all your bonus actions and reactions covered reliably.
>>
Is there a mathematical difference between rolling 2d6 or 1d12? How about 2d4 or 1d8?
>>
>>54973245
2d6 can be between 2 and 12, 1d12 is between 1 and 12. 2d4 is between 2 and 8, 1d8 is between 1 and 8. Simple, right? Not the same as a 1d8+1 which is between 2 and 9.
>>
>>54973245
2d6 is average of 3.5 + 3.5 = 7, 1d12 is an average of 6.5. 2d4 is 2.5 + 2.5 = 5, 1d8 is 4.5
>>
>>54973257
Oh, duh. Thanks.
>>
>>54973191
>Doesn't assume all the EBs hit but doesn't do the same for the Fighter's attacks
Whatever the case it's still extremely reliable on-par with Fighter damage (Fighter is supposed to be best class at extremely reliable damage). Not even mentioning whether they take Repelling blast for the infinite kite this is very little investment for a lot of gain.
Multiclassing it from another charisma caster keeps you SAD, provides far more slots to cast your Hex than you'd normally have, and gives the caster the ability to regain two slots on short rest. The weakest point of this is before you get to the 5th level of your main class for your 3rd level spells, but once you hit that spike it's smooth sailing.
>>
>>54973204
Wouldn't that be more of a halberd or glaive? And shit, isn't the Monk already bonus action heavy as it is?
Honestly I had this idea after playing DQIII and deciding I liked the Fighter/Martial Artist class
>>
>>54971696
I'm currently building a Swashbuckler/Battlemaster with Booming Blade. It should work well enough. I'll probably grab two more rogue levels for evasion and I doubt I'll go much further.
>>
>>54973049
Would you mind giving us some examples? The degree of actual contrast is quite important here, as well as some clarity about what you consider intelligence to be - even quick and educated people might behave quite awkwardly if they are exhausted after a long week at the office or not sufficiently invested in your game itself.
>>
>>54973277
I'm not saying it's bad but to expand on pure bard vs. bardlock at level 14 you'll have 3 beams of EB, 3d10+15 or you could pick up like finger of death, fire storm (7d10*10+) or the classic prismatic spray, force cage, mord's swords, simulacrum, plane shift, resurrection, earthquake, sunburst, etc.
>>
File: 1503068316983.gif (1MB, 340x255px) Image search: [Google]
1503068316983.gif
1MB, 340x255px
>>54971696
My DM won't use unofficial material.

How do I convince him to accept Unearthed Arcana stuff? It really fits well with my character's background.
>>
File: chad_barb.jpg (504KB, 966x1324px) Image search: [Google]
chad_barb.jpg
504KB, 966x1324px
>>
>>54973282
>Wouldn't that be more of a halberd or glaive?
Well, they'd fit a Pudao better but a spear doesn't do a bad job either.
>And shit, isn't the Monk already bonus action heavy as it is?
Monk's only bonus actions come from Martial Arts and spending Ki for Dash/Flurry of Blows/ect. Obviously you don't want to spend Ki every single turn or you'll run dry quick, and you aren't or don't always want to be in melee range of the enemy to bonus action unarmed strike them.
Spear Mastery gives these options that cover exactly what you would want to do in the situations you don't want to be in or aren't in melee range of an enemy. The +5ft. range even works as a bootlegged Mobile feat for allowing you to melee a target without fearing an opportunity attack.
>>
>>54973385
If the GM is new, stop pushing it. UA should only be used by experienced GMs that can differentiate between the okay stuff and busted stuff.
>>
if i attack someone from behind do i have advantage?
>>
>>54973305
I'm having trouble determining if Booming Blade would even work well on a Fighter since you can't multiattack with it
>>
>>54973452
There is no "behind" by default unless the DM uses facing rules
>>
>>54973469
It deals more damage than Extra Attack on an Eldritch Knight from levels 7-10, that's about it.
>>
>>54973427
I mean, the party got nearly wiped more than once, so I doubt it'd change much. Game has been pretty high on lethality so far.
>>
>>54973489
With facing rules do i have advantage?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170820-122856.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170820-122856.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>54973544
Yes
>>
>>54972617
IIRC it's pretty small

>>54973543
You still don't want one player who's significantly unbalanced with the others.
What's the UA that fits your character so well? Maybe we can help you find another way to play it.
>>
>>54973452
>>54973544
the sneak attack mechanic attack is there to simulate attacking someone while they are facing towards someone or somewhere else.

if you don't have sneak attack i'd like you to roll a stealth check to see if the person faced the other way notices your approach/attack.
>>
Rate my sorcerer buff that i have put next to no thought into.

>>MEGAMAGIC
>>At level 3 you gain the ability to twist your spells into a new form, allowing for powerful but potentially unreliable source of magic. When you finish a long rest you may pick two spells to become megaspells, you can choose three spells at level 10 and four at level 17.
>>Each megaspell has a charge, casting the spell uses its charge. On your turn you can spend one sorcery point to roll a d10. If you roll a 1-9, any spell whose level is that number or above gets recharged. If you roll a 0, all megaspells lose their charge and you can no longer make a roll to recharge until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>54973569
Deep stalker. The character's people was mostly wiped out by certain slave-taking underground dwellers, so beyond being incredibly hateful of them he's sworn to take them out. It's not that it's necessary, but I think it'd make sense for him to specialize on the turf of his foes.
>>
>>54973563
has anyone played with this? does it add anything? i play with a new group so that shit is a non-starter for us but i'd like to add a 2nd game since mine is only 10 hours a month currently.
>>
>>54973662
>by certain slave-taking underground dwellers
Which ones? there are loads of them.
>>
What happens if i divide every hp pool by 2 and every bonus to hit by 2 ?
>>
>>54973655
So, what happens when the spell recharge? You get slot back? DnD doesn't track particular casted spells unlike M:tG.
>>
>>54973469
Not really, but the scaling damage and the sneak attack damage compensate for losing your second attack. The battlemaster maneuvers are mostly there to get more sneak attacks from Riposte.
>>
>>54973680
I play in 2 separate groups in both we use the optional flanking rules, not facing rules.
>>
>>54973713
Everybody is a Stormtrooper
AoE spells dominate even more than before
>>
>>54973396
I see your point, but I'm just not sure. Partly because the last time I ran a character with a spear, despite having a huge + to hit and shit and with the spear mastery and it even counting as a +1 when under half health (which I was constantly), I never hit fucking anything with that spear.

And at the same time I feel like it'd be kinda wasting the whole point of a Kensei if I didn't use a more exotic-than-normal-for-monks weapon.
>>
File: dickbag.jpg (117KB, 599x1016px) Image search: [Google]
dickbag.jpg
117KB, 599x1016px
>>54973688
These douches.
>>
>>54973748
Flanking is a horrible mechanic and shouldn't have been printed.
>>
>>54973720
The spells that were chosen cant be cast with slots only charges. If the spell is cast it loses its charge, if it is recharged it gets its charge back.
>>
Best tank/grappler/damage sponge/whatever for a two-man short campaign?
>>
>>54973713
What are you aiming for with your house rule?

Halving HP pool would make for more deadly game (which is presumably your goal). Imagine wizard with 5 HP. I think it might be OK, but i'd strongly advocate some buff to base HP to partialy compensate. Either avoid first levels and start at very least at 3rd level. Or give constant +10 HP to every PC - to avoid one hitting by goblin. That doesn't make for very intriguing story.

Halving bonuses to hit is more dangerous. They are more difficult to get and hitting is already quite swingy when you're rolling d20. Fighter with heavy armor, shield and Defense fighting style can sport 19 AC at first level. Also, without modifying AC, high-AC enemies and especially characters might be essentially unhitable - which isn't very fun either.

>>54973827
Oh, so the casting charged spell doesn't consume spell slot? That's... not mentioned. I think that might be too strong, unless you set upper limit for spell level and probably even then.
>>
>>54973910
>Best tank/grappler/damage sponge
Sounds like you're describing barbarogue, but i am not entirely sure how to build it properly.
>>
A swashbuckling clerogue of Talos who terrorizes the high seas in the name of his god, good idea or no?
>>
So you have a player who is a paladin. They have chosen to take the Magic Initiate feat for one reason or another. Assuming he chooses Druid or Cleric, would you allow him to smite using his new divine cantrips for 1d8?
>>
>>54973073
>>54973094
Half orc with pompador here.
>>
>>54973756
That's ight, I'd recommend a longsword and Blade Mastery instead of the Warhammer and Fell Handed then. You won't have much of a STR mod to make use of the disadvantage thing, and you'll rarely find it worth using the Help action since that means you can't Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows for stunlocking as well.
>>
>>54973935
It's just missing more often but when you do hit or get hit you die instantly.
>>
>>54973935
Its strong but the intended downside is that you have a 1 in 10 chance of losing everything every time you roll to recharge.
>>
>>54973910
X Barb/1 Rogue with expertise athletics
>>
>>54973966
Fun fluff. Not sure the crunch works very well.

>>54973970
>Smite with cantrips
That is not a thing. Smite requires a spell slot expenditure.
>>
>>54973970
>1d8 damage to every attack
Hell no
>>
>>54973966
I'd expect Talos cleric more direct that rogue, but idea itself is fine. It will depend on your execution.

>>54973970
No. If you want more damage, either hit things with stick, or with spell. Cantrips scale their damage anyway. Somewhat.
>>
>>54973970
Paladins can only smite with a melee weapon attack. I'd let them smite with unarmed attacks too since being able to channel a smite into a sword but not being able to do it into your fists is stupid. So if the cantrips allow him to make a melee attack, sure.
>>
>>54974050
>>54974033

What I mean is

He can smite as normal, but "expends" a cantrip to smite for 1d8 damage instead of the usual minimum of 2d8 from a first level slot.
>>
>>54974082
No, because cantrips don't expend anything. You're literally asking for free 1d8 per hit.
Expend a spell slot, or don't smite.
>>
>>54974033
I guess you're right. I just saw that swashbuckler is a rogue sub-class and thought 'hey it's a pirate'
>>
>>54973987
It is still on average 6-7 free spell slots, although limited for your two favorite spells.
At level 3, where this ability start, you have 6 spell slots total.

>>54974082
Literally paladin's 11th level ability.

>>54974124
Maybe dex based cleric - they have Divine Strink (or something), so they kinda can into melee, though they're certainly not stellar.
>>
>>54974082
As in a "micro-smite"? As it were, that sounds like it's stepping on a Cleric's Divine Strike.
>>54973979
I mostly just have the feeling that others might be using Help on me decently option, as Mastermind Roguess and Wizards/Warlocks with familiars are fairly common in this thing.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely certain I'd be able to use Blade Mastery outside of the +1. Enemies trying to run away from me is rare, and even when they do, they're exclusively trying to run away and will always Disengage. By that measure, I'm not sure just how well the +1 AC will be for it.
I'm thinking if I do wind up using a longsword, it'd probably just be a standard-human just to see what they're like.
>>
>>54974082
How the fuck do you expend a cantrip, they're infinite.
>>
>>54974290
spell thief can sorta do it
>>
>>54974290
[i]exactly[/i]
>>
>>54974198
>Literally paladin's 11th level ability.

Oh, would you look at that.
>>
>>54974372
>>54974198
>Literally paladin's 11th level ability.
Except the Paladin's feature stacks with Divine Smite. But the proposed free +1d8 per attack at level 1 is still not ok.
>>
How does bard/rogue? Does rogue in general pair well with a certain class?
>>
File: wow.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
Rate this oathbreaker backstory:
>be ~40 year old vengeance paladin
>have a daughter
>be cleaning out undead with other paladin bro
>long story short they find PC's daughter turned into a vampire
>other paladin wants to kill her
>PC paladin kills his friend to protect his daughter
>falls
>goes around the world looking for a cure for his child and helps her not get killed
>pretty chill, still helps people to the extent of his abilities
>>
File: 1502818133801.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502818133801.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
>>54971696
Gonna try my hand on being DM with a group of 3 players tomorrow. It's their first time playing and my first time as DM, could I get some tips
>>
>>54974505
"Falls" is subjective. There are no mechanics for falling anymore.
The main problem with this backstory is that you're asking to travel with a tiny vampire and that wouldn't mesh well with many parties/adventures.
>>
>>54974544
She's like 20 and somewhere in the background a town behind or travelling around the country, not interacting with the part, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>54974505
vampires are always-evil monsters under 5e rules so you might want to clear that part with the DM.

>>54974544
>"Falls" is subjective. There are no mechanics for falling anymore.

there's a sidebar about it, so it's still a thing that can happen.
>>
>>54974490
Rogue multiclassing is difficult because every single level of it gives a very comfy ability. There's X Barb/1 Rogue for being a grappler fiesta, as well as X Shadow Monk/3 Assassin or Thief Rogue for being a superninja. There's very little point in MC'ing into Rogue as a Bard except for Cunning Action and more skills since you already do everything Rogue does besides damage even better than a Rogue.
>>
File: Inner Sea.jpg (297KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
Inner Sea.jpg
297KB, 1000x1294px
>>54971696
DMs where does your game take place if its homebrewed whats it like? My game takes place in Golarion from Pathfinder.
>>
Thinking about running a train heist for my campaign, what would be a fun carriage to fight through?
>>
>>54973245
anydice.com

look at the graphs, learn to understand the probabilities. it's fun stuff
>>
>>54974505
Seems alright. Keep in mind that Oathbreakers absolutely have to be evil as a prerequisite stated in their description, and protecting your own child isn't usually the most evil thing even if they're a vampire. I'd clear it with your GM first that you're not actually evil if your child wasn't gobbling up peasants like wild, but if you actually are evil then everything fits nicely.
>>
>>54974621
we're playing unaligned
>>
>>54974541
Don't over think everything and don't be afraid to stray from the rules if it makes a good story (within reason at least). Pick an easy adventure, I'd suggest the starter adventure The Mines of Phandelver. Make sure you read ahead in the adventure enough so you don't have to stop and read in the book to keep the flow going. Don't be afraid to stray from the written story and take player interactions into account; think of the adventure as a guideline. If you can play some fantasy music to help set the mood. Sorry if this seems disorganized, I'm not the best writer.
>>
>>54974645
the bar and the cafe
>>
>>54974622
>Shadow monk
I did a shadow monk 6/swashbuckler 3 once for a one shot, it was neat. i always thought it'd be cool to make a monk/rogue spy type character. Sorta like a Jason Bourne type. Is MCing with a class with extra attack generally a waste?
>>
>>54974541
Remember you're not trying to win, you're trying to have fun together. Be happy when your challenges are met, and always be prepared to improvise.
>>
>>54974645
A car full of Ochre Jelly that's being taken to a slime preserve

A teleportation circle car that, if a player steps in, they find themselves warped to some kind of Wizard post-office.

A car filled with jars that have tiny monsters (Quasits, Gazers, Imps) in them where any missed attacks might accidentally break a few bottles open and release the creatures.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>54974645
Objectively the best option.
>>
>>54973245
Overview answer:
If the maximum is the same, rolling more dice would have a very slightly higher average result, and also tend to produce results closer to the average.

>>54974670
Didn't know about this site. It's fun.
>>
>>54974727
>Is MCing with a class with extra attack generally a waste?
Explain?
>>
>>54974871
I mean would you gain anything from the EA since you can only sneak attack once per turn? A master Duelist type character would be neat or a fighter/assassin
>>
>>54969566
He has great hand-eye coordination though. I've never seen him miss a free-throw, for example.
>>
>>54974924
It gives you an extra chance to actually get sneak attack damage off, and is a fair amount of free damage if your first hit landed anyways
>>
>>54971776
What's special about this?
>>
What's a good "second-in-command" melee class/sub-class to complement a Paladin? I've been thinking Battlemaster but want to play something slightly less generic
>>
>>54974642
I just drew a rough map of the US from the Pacific to the Rockies, and started planting stuff in it. You get tons of variety. So far nobody has figured it out, even though I named a desert town Phoenix. God bless Euros and their inability to use google earth
>>
>>54975051
Purple dragon knight is all about telling people what to do, probably a pain in the ass to justify MCing into the dragon knights lore wise, though
>>
>>54975051
Life Cleric (1) / Lore Bard (x), or simply Lore Bard, fluff them as a Sun Tzu, Lord Byron or literally Tolkien.
>>
>>54974924
Extra Attack isn't very useful on Rogues as you said. It may be another chance to actually proc it but you should be having advantage every turn from bonus action Hide regardless, and the total damage from landing both attacks isn't worth the Sneak Attack scaling you lose just to get that far.
>>
>>54974642
Mine takes place in the Border forest in the forgotten realms. Doesn't seem original but I have some fluff I put in there.
>Border forest quickly changes to a jungle about half way
>Amazons(Goliath subtype)reside there
>There is a portal linking to the Jungle of Chult somewhere in the forest
>Hidden shrine of tamochan is there
>Yuan-ti are using the portal to transport materials and influence into forest
>many portals to the feywild reside there and the forest is full of them
>Fey are prevalent
>Ancient war took place around there where a pseudo toss/fallen/elite race from the astral plane fought humanity who used warforged to counter them
>Little vaults still reside of this race
>mindflayers reside there because of the pseudo race and they are searching for their relics
>>
>>54974642
I wanted to use Golarion, but I'm going for a funky fusion of Mystara and Realms.
>>
>>54974997
if you're a halfling you have 4 do-overs a day, and 2 guaranteed rolls. For a rogue this opens a lot of doors either for making sure he succeeds on skill checks, or for guaranteeing a crits.
>>
File: 1492871735162.jpg (54KB, 960x631px) Image search: [Google]
1492871735162.jpg
54KB, 960x631px
>>54974642
Mine takes place in a setting I'm slowly fleshing out, although first adventure is literally colonizing a recently discovered island so that my players backstories and shit will shape the mainland.

That is if more than 1 of my players actually came back to me on their characters.
>>
File: 1500658405487.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500658405487.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
assuming UA ranger and allowing UA subclasses, whats in your opinion is best ranger subclass? I been wanting to make one.
>>
Long story short, anons, I want to make decent 5e PC stats for the Gith races - Githyanki and Githzerai first and foremost, maybe Duthka'gith once I get the former bested.

Comparing these results to what they had in past editions, any suggestions on how I can fix them?

Past edition statblocks for reference:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Githzerai
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Githyanki

Gonna post my 1st draft stats in their own posts because space issues.
>>
are there final fantasy classes for 5e?
>>
>>54975326
Define best
>>
>>54975343
Githyanki
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Strength or +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Hate Breaks All Shackles: You have Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Stunned effects, and on saving throws to end those effects.
Mind Slicer: While you wield a weapon that inflicts Slashing damage, you can spend an action to “charge” that weapon with psionic energy. Whilst charged, that weapon inflicts an additional +1d6 Psychic damage on a successful strike. Maintaining this psionic charge is a Concentration effect. Once you have used this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Pain Becomes Strength: Once per turn, when you take damage from an enemy attack, you can spend your Reaction to make an immediate melee attack. Additionally, if you have exhausted your Mind Slicer ability, you can choose to spend one hit dice to reactivate it instead of waiting to take a short rest.
Hand of Will: You can cast the Mage Hand cantrip, using Intelligence as your spellcasting ability score. Your Mage Hand is invisible, unlike the normal version.
>>
>>54975051
>>54975121
That's why there's the generic "banneret" archetype name.

>>54975351
What specifically? Most of them, I imagine, can be made by refluffing existing options.
>>
>>54975351
It's literally called Fighter, ffs
>>
>>54975326
They're all good at different things. Beastmaster in my opinion just for the fat meme of getting an Ape and refluffing the Rock Throw attack as flinging its own shit.
>>
>>54975343
Githzerai
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Intelligence or +1 Dexterity
Vision: Normal
Shield of Will: When not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Wisdom modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
Fortress of Discipline: You have Advantage on saving throws against Charm, Paralyzed and Stunned effects.
Fluid as Thought: Once per round, if an attack made against you misses, you can use a Reaction to move 5 feet.
Hand of Will: You can cast the Mage Hand cantrip, using Wisdom as your spellcasting ability score. Your Mage Hand is invisible, unlike the normal version.
>>
>>54975326
Depends on what you want to do with it, really. After the update they're pretty much all solid
>>
>>54975370
The dragoon, ninja, summoner , samurai, gambler
>>
>>54975389
What are the defining characteristics of these classes (specifically, in the specific FF game you're using as reference)?
>>
>>54974622
>Rogue multiclassing is difficult because every single level of it gives a very comfy ability.

Most of their features after Reliable Talent are garbage, it makes a lot of sense to branch out.
>>
>>54975389
>dragoon
Lance paladin, boots of springing and striding, convert leap attack from 3.5
>ninja
literally just arcane trickster
>summoner
wizard, but they can only summon the biggest creature, not a million little creatures
>samurai
samurai
>gambler
bard/wild magic sorcerer
>>
>>54975343
Honest question, is it even possible to convert Duthka'gith to 5e? I mean, back in 3.5, this is what they looked like:

+8 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis, +2 Cha
Medium
Base Speed 30 feet
Darkvision 60 feet
Low-light Vision
Psionics: At 1st level, can use the spell-like abilities of Daze Humanoid and Mage Hand 3/day each. At 3rd level, gain Blur (3/day). At 6th level, gain Dimension Door (3/day). At 9th level, gain Telekinesis (3/day) and Plane Shift (1/day).
Spell Resistance: 5 + 1 per total character level, maxing at SR 25 at 20th level.
Dragon Type
Extraplanar
Breath Weapon (Su): 1/day, spit a 30ft cone of fire that deals 6d8 fire damage (half on a successful Reflex save of DC 10 + duthka'gith's Con modifier).
Natural Weapons: One Bite attack (1d6 + 1/2 duthka'gith's Str modifier), two Claw attacks (1d4 + duthka'gith's Str modifier).
Natural Armor Bonus: +4
Smite Good (Su): 1/day, inflict bonus damage equal to character level against a good opponent.
Energy Resistance: Immune to Fire, Cold Resistance 5
Githyanki Blood: A duthka'gith is considered to be a Githyanki for all special abilities, effects and requirements tied to race.
Level Adjustment: +5
Favored Class: Fighter

This statblock is clearly derived from the non-psionic githyanki in the same magazine; if one wanted to make them psionic as well, one would just replace Psionics and Spell Resistance with the Naturally Psionic, Psi-Like Abilities and Power Resistance trait from the Expanded Psionics Handbook's version of the githyanki.
>>
>>54975538
Easily, but they won't be quite as fearsome which might lose all the flavor.
>>
What do you guys think about non-cursebringer hexblade? Is it good, or am I better off with other pacts? Not going to multiclass.
>>
>>54971823
As others have said, revised ranger has no more synergy with monk than any old fucking thing.
Revised ranger dips work with literally fucking every class.

It doesn't really have a lot of synergy with monk, though. Dex/wis? Ranger doesn't use wisdom much and usually prefers feating up so suddenly you're more MAD than you need to be not to mention you're probably delaying ASIs. Hunter's mark? Bonus action economy. Favoured enemy? Fighters make just as many attacks if not more with action surge. Heck, a full ranger can make more attacks with (Number of enemies)+1 using volley and horde breaker.
>>
>>54975938
>Not going to multiclass
Of course not, you're playing a UA archetype.
I have nothing productive to say to your question, I just like being self-righteous on the internet.
>>
>>54975938
Hexblade is designed for use with eldritch blast, as with all the other warlock archetypes, so go for it you turret fucking bitch.
>>
>>54975938
The only time you will ever deal damage comparable to Agonizing Blast Hex Eldritch Blast Warlock is the times you smite on your pact weapon. If you can't smite with your pact weapon, you are inferior to Tome and Chainlock in every concievable way besides having Medium Armor and a Shield.
>>
>>54975606
Oh? How would you start converting them?

I'd definitely give them a "Red Dragon Ancestry" type racial feature, for Fire Resistance and a Breath Weapon ala Red Dragonborn.

Maybe a +2 to Strength, since they were so obscenely strong in 3.5.

But what else? I'd presume they'd need some traits to connect them to the githyanki, hence my attempts to fix up my PC stats for them first.
>>
Is there any instance where you SHOULD go with non-variant human when Variant is allowed?

At the moment it's me fighting with my autism and dislike of minuses to stats, not viewing a feat as always good even at level 1.
>>
>>54976022
That's not always a given, depends on the DM.
>>
>>54976226
If you want a 13 in every stat so you can multiclass into everything at once and make your DM hate you
>>
>>54976226
Not really, no.
>>
>>54976201
+2 Str, probably +1 Con
Breath weapon and energy resistance as dragonborn makes perfect sense
"Counts as githyanki"
Darkvision
Psionics would be similar to the tiefling's spellcasting feature (same-level spells at the same character levels, based on the original list of learned spells)
MAYBE claw or bite natural weapon, and not a very good one
And probably leave it at that.
>>
>>54976252
Everything depends on the DM. But the general rule is "don't do it."
Multiclassing is optional. UA is very optional. Combining the two is a recipe for trouble that only experienced DMs with a good sense for balance should consider allowing.
Of course, every DM thinks they're experienced and have good sense, so...
>>
>>54976226
When you feel like taking stats over a feat.

Are you asking when it would be optimal? There's probably a funky build or two reliant on a spread of stats. That sounds like a decision for your gut, you don't have to be imba.
>>
>>54976226
Bladelock with the first UA is about the only thing since it's dependant on CON CHA STR and DEX if you decide to actually blade instead of eldritch blast.
>>
>>54972617
>>54973569
Faerun is actually pretty huge compared go Europe.
>>
I'm playing a devotion paladin.
For reasons, I can use my charisma in place of strength when making weapon attack and damage rolls.
Is there a fun way to break this with warlock?
>>
File: toril-overlay-02a.png (4MB, 4096x2048px) Image search: [Google]
toril-overlay-02a.png
4MB, 4096x2048px
>>54976362
See pic related.
>>
>>54976378
Well, assuming you have lots of undead you have much to gain from a quick dip into a warlock
Among the Dead, a ranged option in Eldritch Blast, and short rest smites
>>
>>54976256
>>54976259
>>54976343
Why did they have to leave it just all-around better than the standard? What if they made standard human +2 to one stat of choosing and +1 to the others?
>>54976317
I don't even know. I worry a lot, and my gut doesn't help too much as I'm a very indecisive person.
>>
I'm a melee warlock, how obnoxious is to take the repelling and agonizing blast invocations?
Otherwise agonizing is a given.
>>
>>54976226
Paladins are the only reason ever if your DM gives you a feat for free. You take Polearm Mastery with the free feat. Especially if have a lot of odd stats / roll a lot of odd stats.

Otherwise, no, unless your DM makes dump stats more useful.
>>
>>54976270
Hmm... I really want to fix up my githyanki, but using that as my baseline inspiration... how does this look? How overpowered is it?

I'll just refer to the PHB rules for Breath Weapon due to space concerns here...

Duthka'gith
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Charisma
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Red Dragon Ancestry: You have Resistance to Fire and the Breath Weapon (Red Dragon) racial treat (PHB pg 34).
Githyanki Blood: You are treated as a Githyanki for effects that key off of race. This allows you to use items restricted to githyanki, but also makes you vulnerable to powers that specifically target githyanki.
Claws: You have a Climb speed of 15 feet and can use your claws as natural weapons when making an unarmed strike. A claw attack inflicts 1d4 + Str modifier Slashing damage instead of the normal Bludgeoning damage for an unarmed strike.
Pyrokinetic: You can cast the Control Flame and Mage Hand cantrips, using Charisma as your spellcasting ability score.
Holocaust Warrior: As an action, you can "charge" your claws or a Slashing damage weapon that you wield, wreathing it in flames. Whilst "charged", this weapon deals +1d6 Fire damage on a successful strike. Maintaining this "charge" is a Concentration effect. If you are disarmed, or voluntarily hand the weapon over, the weapon loses its charge. Once you have used this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
>>
>>54976486
Feats were a mistake, thats why.
>>
>>54976091
>Smiting with a pact weapon
That means taking a 2 level dip in paladin right?
>>
>>54976542
Or using the 'new' set of warlock invocations
>>
>>54976508
You should DEFINITELY give them CON instead of CHA for two reasons.
1. It's more similar to the original statline.
2. Right now they're almost identical to dragonborn.
Also, IIRC "natural weapons" are distinct from "unarmed strike," but I'm not sure on the 5e terminology.
"Holocaust Warrior" is both overpowered and distastefully named. It's also of zero use to several classes, which is restrictive design.
>>
>>54976559
Hmm, you think any of those+hexblade will make it into XGE?
>>
>>54976573
Yeah, natural weapons aren't monk weapons or unarmed. They're weapons which are not under simple.
>>
>>54976601
Given that's the revised set I'd say WoTC thought they had enough potential to be worth trying again, so it's pretty likely
>>
>>54976602
>>54976573
There are natural weapons and unarmed strike modifiers as racials. Minotaurs (both kinds) and Naga have natural weapons, while Tabaxi, Aarakocra, and Lizardfolk have unarmed strike modifiers
>>
>>54976573
It's true that Con was their second highest bonus stat in 3.5, but, fluffwise, they're also supposed to be "smarter than githyanki" and "born leaders", having been engineered by Vlaakith to be superior generals for her forces. So, doesn't a Str/Cha split make sense for them?

The Claws trait is literally word-for-word taken from the Tabaxi trait of the same name in Volo's Guide, so don't blame me for the confusion between "natural weapons" and "unarmed strike".

Yeah... Holocaust Warrior and its Githyanki equivalent, Mind Slicer, were my attempts to give them "Psionics-free Psionics", and I'm open to suggestions to how to fix it up.

Also, the name is literally taken from a fiery Gish prestige class that githyanki and duthka'gith had in 3.5. Fun fact.
>>
>>54976498
Well that'd make VHuman semi-redundant but also arguably vastly more powerful by merit of instantly having the bullshit-ass feat combos.
>>54976512
But still, just damn. I don't want to feel like I'm being forced to pick either garbage or the clearly vastly superior option

It should be SIDEGRADES, not straight upgrades.
>>
I really want to try an Assassin out, should i go all the way in rogue or MC for more options? I know most campaigns don't go past 10 but I'm just theory crafting for shits
>>
>>54976708
So don't allow variant humans, simple non-variant solution
>>
>>54976726
But at the same time, there's no real appeal that Humans have due to the simple lack of "oomph" in any one section for the standard humans compared to other races.
I mean sure they're "versatile" so to speak, but like I said it seems that there's just nothing to draw you to playing to them, at least stat-wise.
>>
are the descriptions of the different alignment-planes?
>>
>>54976494
If you're a Bladelock, shouldn't you be taking the Extra Attack, Smite Weapon, and +1/2/3 weapon invocations instead?
If you're a non multiclassed Warlock it's fine anyway, you're still playing a Warlock so you can't exactly break anything.

>>54976542
>That means taking a 2 level dip in paladin right?
I mean smiting with Cursebringer or the other Patron specific weapons. They can do that.
>>
>>54976723
Stealth rules are shit in 5e. Have fun needing to roll at least three rng meme d20s for Stealth into Initiative and then Attack roll before getting to have an archetype.
If you're dead set on Assassin never go further than 3 levels.
>>
Can I take 3 levels of rogue and pick assassin, then 3 levels later take the first part of thief, then 3 levels later take the first part of arcane trickster?
>>
>>54976786
I'm only 3rd level. But definitely taking that extra attack invocation.

How much cheese is repelling blast considered to be?
>>
>>54976869
No.
>>
>>54976708
>Semi-redundant
Free feats hardly makes variant human semi-redundant, but it makes it a lot less valuable to classes that have only one compulsory or semi-compulsory feat tax (Paladins, rogues, monks). Only classes that have multi-feat taxes are likely fighters and barbarians.
>>
>>54974322
there's a spell thief in 5E? where?
>>
>>54977032
arcane trickster high level thing, it's like a counterspell reaction plus you know the spell for 8 hours and they don't.
>>
Is it too much to make short rests five minutes - IF you can't gain benefit of it more than once per hour?
>>
>>54977185
yes? I mean you should still soft limit how many you get a day anyway but 5 minutes is silly.
>>
>>54977209
Well the problem usually isn't how many is allowed, but that hour long breaks might never come up logistically. It's far less likely to be denied an 8 hour rest.

Would 2, 3, 4 hour separations be better?
>>
>>54974505
How does killing someone violate a VENGEANCE Paladin's Oath? A Vengeance Paladin could kill any number of good weaklings to protect a strong-ass Evil Vampire because "this dude can help me kill the REAL greater evil".

It's why Vengeance and Oaths in general are shit.
>>
>>54977185
Still encourages stuff like armor of agathys - rest - keep on rolling.
>>
>>54977185
Houserule:
1st short rest per day is 5 minutes
2nd short rest is 30 minutes
>>
>>54977271
This works.
>>
>>54977263
I don't see that breaking anything, just a small boost to a class that's hardly the best. But specific language can prevent it if desired.

>>54977271
That helps a lot too.
>>
File: WesternMapFINALEj4.jpg (5MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapFINALEj4.jpg
5MB, 5000x5000px
>>54974642
It's Not!NorthAmerica if there was no Europe (and the European nations were instead warring states that later got together) and everyone skipped the pike and shot period to go straight to guns and have wild west fun times.

Orcs used to run the entire western half of the continent, keeping all the humans out. They were cool with Elves in the north and didn't mind the Dwarves so much when they showed up in the south, but they got fucked up by mysterious stuff which gave everyone else some time to scoot over and take all their shit. Dwarves moved in first and also got fucked up by mysterious stuff so they had to back off and now humans are just making a mess of everything again.
>>
>>54976427
>talking about size of landmasses
>mercator projection
reeeeeeeee
>>
>>54977363
mercator is perfectly fine, umad landlubber?
>>
Anyone got Enworlds Touch of Class? A player of mine wants to look at the Noble.
>>
>>54973514
It's not worthless at level 3/4 either, though it might not actually do anything.
>>
>>54976892
>How much cheese is repelling blast considered to be?
Not much unless you only take 2 levels of Warlock and multiclass out.
>>
File: 1502636319703.gif (494KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1502636319703.gif
494KB, 500x281px
Anyone know what I could use to undo a city falling out of the sky and levelling everything in a 400km radius with the resulting shockwave?

Asking for a friend.
>>
>>54977474
time travel to go back to prevent it
>>
File: inversesquare.gif (13KB, 463x251px) Image search: [Google]
inversesquare.gif
13KB, 463x251px
>>54977474
The inverse square law.
>>
>>54977474
I don't know how you undo what's been done, but you can have a wizard Summon a Dao and sell it the property as a form of up and commer neighborhood in historic district
>>
>>54977502
maybe it caused some ecological disaster with the shockwave not just smashy smashy
>>
>>54977474
divine intervention or wish

or a STR check if you have a barbarian and a generous DM
>>
File: 1494276814702.jpg (20KB, 222x317px) Image search: [Google]
1494276814702.jpg
20KB, 222x317px
>>54977496
Good plan.
Now I just have to figure out un-powdering every bone in my legs and dealing with the fourth-degree burns on my hands and face.
>>54977502
It was a big, magical city falling from a long way up.
>>54977529
Intriguing.
>>54977530
Well, by the time I got there there was a big spooky orb of death where the city would have landed that seems to spit bat demons.
>>
How good is Illusory Reality? Thinking of making an Illusionist Wizard just to get it. Gonna start at 15th level.
>>
>>54977607
You are literally god.
>>
>>54977560
>>54977560
Legs are optional and if your skin is melting off maybe go lich first.
>>
File: 1486332830324.png (729KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1486332830324.png
729KB, 633x758px
>>54977668
Not melting, more sandblasted. I was running very fast through a cloud of scorching dust and soil that the impact had kicked up.
Coincidentally, abusing speed boosting magic and massively overstraining my body in the process is why my legs don't work anymore.
>>
>>54977560
Compare this "big magical city" to a meteor.
The meteor is a large, dense chunk of rock and metal. It's not spherical, but it's not essentially a pancake with needles on it like a city is. The meteor doesn't have large air pockets in it, like sewage systems or the interiors of buildings. The meteor wasn't designed to minimize its weight like the city presumably was, if we also presume the magic keeping it up wasn't unlimited.

So we have a less weighty city, falling a much shorter distance, subject to much greater resistance as it falls, accelerating to lower speeds, smacking straight into the ground at a 90 degree angle. It's also not exploding in mid-air like a nuke or as a result of hideous compressive forces like a falling meteorite and creating a mach stem from the shockwave bouncing back into itself.

This lighter, slower, less energetic city is dumping the majority of its destructive energy into creating a tiny hole in the ground. The shockwave spreading out loses a massive amount of its power as it goes. Curvature of the planet (assuming one the size of Earth) kicks in at 16km, meaning not all energy continues to wrap around and stay at ground level.

Basically, this falling city doesn't take out a whole lot of anything.
>>
>>54977754
Mm. I ain't the DM, so who knows what the city was made of. Not sure about planetary curvature since I don't know how big the planet we're on is.
>>
>>54977743
your basic Archdruid or Archbishop, or maybe a Master Bard will have Regenerate for ya
>>
File: tumblr_os2cp6FXaA1r2wof4o4_500.jpg (48KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_os2cp6FXaA1r2wof4o4_500.jpg
48KB, 500x281px
>>54977786
I have the king of the country I'm in on magical speed dial, so I can get healers if I need them. Failing that, we have a paladin. Half a continent away, but we have one. Any advice on the giant demon spewing murderball? The weakest thing it can spit out (according to the DM) took about six hits from fire shield and literally all of my spell slots above level one to put down, even with some absurd bonuses from my speed boosts and some houserules relating to casting and fighting at speed.
>>
So I have a particular Archetype of bard I've really come to enjoy playing, and in any campaign where I can choose my own character, I know I'll be playing it. Would it be too autismo to just make, print, and laminate a character sheet for every level between 1 and 20, and just dry erase marker in any campaign adjustments, so I can reuse my favourite whenever?
>>
>>54977909
how many campaigns are you in where you have more chances to play characters than character concepts
>>
So my party just reached the Flameskull in LMoP before we had to stop for the day. I was spoiled as to what it does after an hour of being dead a while back, but no one else is aware of it. My friend wants to turn the skull into a goblet after we kill it. I know they're gonna put it in our bag of holding. I know it's gonna blow it up. I know what's going to happen and I can't say or do anything about it.

Fuck.
>>
Does a rogue/warlock MC have any merit?
>>
>>54977916
0. Everyone in my area has pretty erratic work schedules, so we have a lot of one-and-dones, and maybe guest appearances if everyone but one guy is available and a different person who plays is; which is what led me down my reasoning.

But I haven't played too much, so I'm also kind of asking DMs, if you have a guy coming into your session on a temp basis, or if your just running a temp session, how often is a blindly pre rolled character going to float in your campaign?
>>
Whats a good 5th level servant for a 15th level barbarian king?
>>
File: wizard.jpg (61KB, 1290x718px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
61KB, 1290x718px
>>54978086
A wise Wizard, of course.
>>
>>54978086
A skald flavored bard
>>
How is Arcana cleric? In a setting where in all lands ruled by the king, non-divine magic isn't allowed, am considering playing an ex-templar type. Taking GFB and Booming blade as my wizard cantrips, possibly the mage slayer feat, then using things like spiritual weapon + spirit guardians before charging the enemy, how would that go? My questions are:
>Potent Spellcasting, you add your wisdom modifier to any damage dealt with cleric cantrips
Does this apply to the secondary damage of GFB and BB?
>Mage slayer or Warcaster
I really want Mage slayer, but it feels weaker than Warcaster. I don't want both, seeing as I'll need Wis, Str and Con. Unless I were to take Magic initiate/single level in druid for shilleligh, so I can just use Wis and Con.
>Changing domain spells slightly
It's probably really overpowered to do this, but it seems weird that counterspell isn't on the domain list. Would it be okay to ask the DM to swap magic circle? Or is that a bit metagamey?
>>
how would you fluff up a gunslinger/holy gun subclass for a paladin
>>
File: EDPkyTn_zpschilyhkh.png (773KB, 449x1024px) Image search: [Google]
EDPkyTn_zpschilyhkh.png
773KB, 449x1024px
Recycling a question from the last thread:
I'm running a low-level wuxia-themed adventure. Does anyone have any suggestions for adventure hooks I could use? I have a couple of ideas already, but I'm having trouble thinking of ideas that capture the political and mystical aspects of the genre.
>>
File: 1486886296583.jpg (2MB, 1400x4914px) Image search: [Google]
1486886296583.jpg
2MB, 1400x4914px
>>54978434
something here might get your noggin joggin
>>
>>54978390
Forgot some other questions, though not as important.
>Would Arcana cleric count as Arcane or Divine magic?
I know it doesn't matter in 5e, and would be up to DM but it's supposed to matter in this setting.
>If i chose to go one level in Druid, how would spells prepared work?
Would i get 1+Wis in first level druid spells, and Cleric level + Wis in Cleric spells?
>Would a second level in druid be worth it if I wasn't going to be using Wild shape for combat uses?
Considering some of the backstory I had thought of, it would make sense. Would 2 levels in Twilight druid make sense?
>>
>>54971696
Why are all the Greyhawk novels so shit? Like there's not a single good Greyhawk story at all, which seems bizarre since the setting is pretty cool (gritty af bordering on grimdark, based around a HRE expy, relatively low-magic for a D&D setting, almost historical feel at times, has more-or-less logical reasons for the Blood War and most conflicts in general, has Vecna, etc.). You'd think there'd be at least one decent story set in Greyhawk. Is there even one?

Hell the only videogame I can even think of set in Greyhawk is Temple of Elemental Evil.
>>
>>54974505
An oathbreaker has to swear to serve evil. What you've got is called just not being a paladin anymore.
>>
>>54978418
I would roll up a paladin, give him a gun, and call it a day. Most DMs would let a paladin smite with a ranged weapon (Sage Advice says it's not possible purely for flavor reasons).
>>
Other than range, why SHOULDN'T I pick a blowgun as a Kensei weapon?
>>
>>54975262
>if you're a halfling you have 4 do-overs a day
Halfling's lucky isn't the same as the feat. It only triggers on a 1 and it's not once a day.
>>
>>54978768
Because ""realistically,"" blowguns are mostly useful for ambushing.
Then again, so are most other ranged weapons when you're talking about skirmishes, so I guess there's no real reason.

>>54978526
Because Greyhawk is a shitty, generic setting that never had much of a reason to exist.
>>
>>54978714
It's a bit stronger, logistically. I advise a ranged smite be declared when attempted and still be expended on a miss.
>>
>>54978805
Really only a little bit. Mearls says that the main reason smite is only for melee weapons is flavor, and that a DM that allows it for ranged weapons isn't going to break anything (i.e. there are no new, powerful synergies unlocked by allowing it).
I'm inclined to agree.
>>
>>54975311
>players backstories and shit will shape the mainland

Are you me? I hardly have to write anything anymore because my players love worldbuilding so much.
>>
>>54978768
Loading, but you can just use two of them since they're onehanded
>>
I'm making my mastermind villain behind the few quests my heroes have done so far. He's an evil wizard who was trying to send the small town into chaos so he could take over and use it as a cover for his stronghold.

I'm having real difficulty making him seem anything more than 'Evil Wizard dude #6'.

What are some querks, traits, or just shit I can make him do to make him truly memorable and seem like this insanely evil force that plays NEED to deal with?! I'm worried they'll just be like 'oh, that wizard was a bad guy... ok guess we'll kill him', and that's not really the reaction I want.
>>
>>54978940
Make him incredibly helpful to the PC's
>>
>>54978940
Make him an utter, total, COLOSSAL dick. And make it clear that he loves every second of it.
>>
>>54978850
If I kill you, do I get your players?
Not that mine are bad, mind you. They love discussing their characters. But yours sound extra enthusiastic.

>>54978934
>you can just use two of them since they're onehanded
So are hand crossbows, and don't they still require a free hand to reload?
>>
>>54978934
I'm a Monk, so I don't get Extra Attack anyways.
>>54978802
So what you're saying is, nothing that beats out the silliness factor of nailing someone with potentially a 1d10+DEX needle to the ass?
>>
>>54979017
You could pretty reasonably hold two blowguns in a single hand
>>
>>54979029
>I'm a Monk, so I don't get Extra Attack anyways.
Check your 5th-level features.
>>
>>54979029
>So what you're saying is, nothing that beats out the silliness factor of nailing someone with potentially a 1d10+DEX needle to the ass?
That is correct.

Oh right, except this. Monks DO get extra attack.
>>
>>54979029
??????
>>
I want to play a whip tempest cleric! Should I get spell sniper for booming blade first or warcaster first? Is warcaster even necessary?
>>
>>54978967
>>54978996
Not sure how he can help them at this point, maybe if I thought of that earlyier on I could have worked it in.But I do like the idea of him being a huge cocky dickbag.

Feel like I need something more though. Just being an asshole won't get it across. This guy is pure evil. The party is lawful good. I want to instill the idea that he MUST be stopped, and quickly.
>>
>>54979044
>>54979050
>>54979051
WELL I'M FUCKING RETARDED sorry about that. But still, it's just too amusing to me to pass up.
>>
>>54978390
>Does this apply to the secondary damage of GFB and BB?
If they are taken as Cleric cantrips, yes.
> it feels weaker than Warcaster
It totally is, go full shillelagh meme build. Mage Slayer has a rather evocative name, but names of abilities on your character sheet are ultimately just a narratively meaningless mechanical convention.
>It's probably really overpowered to do this, but it seems weird that counterspell isn't on the domain list.
Your domain ability allows to remove spell effects by healing people: this is how Arcana Cleric deals with hostile magics. Counterspell is for Bards, and this is definitely by design.
>>54978511
>Would Arcana cleric count as Arcane or Divine magic?
Your domain spells and spells or cantrips gained through your domain feature are considered to be Cleric spells. How much this means is up to DM, but I would say that this is divine enough.
>Would i get 1+Wis in first level druid spells, and Cleric level + Wis in Cleric spells?
Check out multiclassing section in PHB.
>Would a second level in druid be worth it
No. Even Druid 1 should be taken only if you 100% know what you are doing (Guidance as a Druid cantrip, Goodberry Life Domain shenanigans, longstrider, Absorb Elements for certain niche uses), otherwise Magic Initiate is more than enough. Wildshape has utility outside of combat, but not nearly enough to justify losing Cleric levels.
>>
>>54979116
Thank, was probably going to be human for fluff reasons, so starting at level 5 with Magic initiate and War caster sounds good.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2560x1956px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2560x1956px
>>54979116
Does a monk barbarian multi class work well together? The unarmored con bonus seem like it would work well.

I was thinking halfling for the Dex and rerolling 1 for critical fishing.
>>
>>54979158
I would rather hold War Caster off until level 8, barring campaign-specific tactical reasons (AoO-happy party, enemies drifting in and out of your reach all the time, etc) 18 in Wisdom should be a higher priority,
>>
>>54979231
Advantage on Concentration checks sounds nice though, although I guess that I could decide at 8 to instead go Res(Con) to bump my Con to 16 and add proficiency.
>>
>>54979197
Read multiclass rule again on how certain class feature work together.

ie. Unarmored Defense from Monk and Barbarian doesn't stack. You choose one or the other.
>>
>>54979107
See if you can get your DM to give you a pair of blowguns that combine into a quarterstaff or something. Also, I believe it was mentioned in sage advice that a blowgun dart could be coated in healing potion to apply it to allies at a distance
>>
>>54979197
>>54979288
And rage damage bonus doesn't work if you are using Dex. Only way this would work would be something like
1monk, Rest Barb. Using a Quarterstaff or a spear, you have 1d8+Str+Rage, and a bonus action punch for 1d4+Str + Rage. AC is Dex+Con
or, just play a battlerager/use PAM for literally the exact same effect.
Other option is 1Barb, rest monk, though you'd still have to be Strength, you could drop wisdom, but you'd still need Strength, con and Dex for AC.
>>
>>54979197
>monk barbarian multi class
Probably not the best idea; AC calculation does not work this way, as different options of determining base AC (Mage Armor vs Monk AC vs Barbarian Unarmored Defence vs Natural Armor) are mutually exclusive.
>halfling for the Dex and rerolling 1 for critical fishing
Pure halfling barbarian has trouble wielding Heavy weapons and grappling, but it is a legitimate gimmick build. Half-elf with Elven Accuracy and Swashbuckler levels might be a better option if you want to go critfishing.
>>
>>54979197
You're better off just taking the unarmed feat as a barbarian. With rage bonus the average damage per hit isn't even any less.
>>
>>54978940
Bump to get help on this
>>
Do rogue swashbucklers pair well with other classes? Monk using Shortswords maybe?
>>
>>54978940
>>54979520
If your players aren't a bunch of whiny babies who get triggered by fiction he could be a rapist.
>>
>>54979587
I think they go well with valor or lore bard but I can't remember why.
I'm new here
>>
>>54979662
But rape is such a lowlife thing to do, that's more the realm of street thugs and common dirtbags. Kind of below an evil mastermind, no?

Is 'necromancy' kind of played out for an evil idea? Maybe he could be a super fucked up necromancer, but what?
>>
>>54979700
Have him personally dick the party over and put them on a time limit on how long they have to deal with him.
>>
I need help making a ritual to turn chatacters into liches and death knights
>>
>>54979675
CHA on initiative + jack of all trades is hilariously broke'd even before alert.
>>
>>54979700
Played out necromantic ideas are played out, make up something fresh.

A curse on the party that turns them into seeming undead (but no mechanical effects) could easily cause all sorts of hassle and inspire vengeance, especially if killing him would fix it.
>>
>>54979747
Oh he's deff gonna dick the party.

Honestly didn't think of a time limit though, that's such an obvious way to add urgency... I am a moron!!

Might give them a few weeks to deal with him, to account for planning and travel, or his grand scheme gets finished... it won't kill the party if he succeeds, but their favorite town might turn to ashes. I like that idea! Thanks anon
>>
>>54979816
Sorta like Pirates Of the Caribbean? Undead till the curse is lifted? Or at least the illusion of undead.

That will DEFF piss the party off, not being able to chat up beer wenches and not go into town at all would send them on a serious vengeance trip.

Might combine that with >>54979662 idea to force a time limit.

>party are undead
>can't enter town anymore
>can't earn town of impending doom
>all their beloved NPCS will die soon
>tick tock tick tock

Things are starting to come together anons, thank you very much.
>>
>>54979871
The time limit could just simply be the seeming undeath becoming the actual thing.
>>
>>54979897
That could work.

Seriously thanks for your help anons, I've been stuck for days coming up with lame ass ideas, this is gonna be fantastic!!
>>
>>54979985
The trick is them knowing the situation clearly, if it's gradual and they don't know that killing the guy fixes it they may waste time.
>>
>>54980073
They currently have a hired npc fighter along for the ride they wanted to soak up some damage.

Maybe I could have the curse placed on him first, during a fight with bad guys henchman? they could try and fail to cure him and watch him progress till he was a mindless undead. Then have bad guy show up and curse them in the grand reveal!!

They should work out what's happened at that point, right? They're pretty smart
>>
>>54978507
Thank you.

>>54978418
Going to agree with >>54978714
>>
>>54980183
Killing the guy being the fix isn't always obvious, they may seek out curse breakers first. He could just SAY that though, if you want him to be that particular variety of evilstupid.

Alternatively, one of them being a wizard or bard might sort it out or just have head of the thing before. They could also coerce an npc wizard to sort it out as well, despite the social penalties.
>>
File: Hoinlitranvizadriak.jpg (290KB, 1057x367px) Image search: [Google]
Hoinlitranvizadriak.jpg
290KB, 1057x367px
What's a good "holy symbol" for an aboleth that believes it's a death god because it absorbs the memories and knowledge of the corpses it eats? It has a cult that follows it around, that's why I ask.

It lives in a swamp, if that helps. But I'm coming up empty. It's supposed to be a villain that the party can deal with, but I've got nothing.
>>
>>54980183
You could have him shout something that gives it away as he curses them, along the lines of 'enjoy your last days of freedom, soon you'll serve me as long as I live'
>>
>>54980257
A small flame symbolizing the soul with tentacles encircling it.
>>
>>54977440
That's excellent, thanks heaps bro!
>>
File: I like it.gif (2MB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
I like it.gif
2MB, 533x300px
>>54980287
Holy shit that's perfect, thank you!
>>
>>54980239
They place a wizard in the party, I'll let him roll a pretty easy check to see if he's heard of the curse before. Don't wanna have evil guy just outright say it, he's suppose to be an evil genius.
>>
>>54980326
>evil genius
Enough overconfidence and low wisdom and that might not matter. Wizard ally plan sounds better though.
>>
>>54980279
Actually kind of like that. Makes him seem less stupid and more overly confidant.
>>
>>54980279
Make it a slow rot. Their body starts to take on the appearance of the dead, inch by inch. Then you have your direct curse, and an obvious time limit as it progresses from your extremities.
>>
>>54980420
I think I'll use both.

>dramatic overly confident statement from bad guy
>undead rot starts to kick in
>tick tock tick tock
>>
How does barbarian compare to fighter or paladin in terms of tankness and damage?
>>
>>54980523
Much tankier, less damage
>>
>>54980482
Throw in another element: the curse actually has a purpose, the undead it creates actually retain some of the skills the people knew in life. And of course, they have to take down some of these resulting undead.
>>
>>54979797
That does sound wild, would it make sense to go past 3 levels? Swashbuckler/lore bard seems neat
>>
Is the oathbreaker capstone worth it, or would a level or 2 of warlock be better for all the things that entails?
>>
>>54980592
You honestly think you'll make it to 20?
>>
>>54980549
Ohhh I LOVE that!! Thank you anon
>>
>>54980745
Glad I could help.
>>
>>54976009
>Hunter's mark? Bonus action economy.
see >>54972081
>not to mention you're probably delaying ASIs.
by 1 level or so at most if you're taking 5 levels in monk first.
>Fighters make just as many attacks if not more with action surge.
A fighter will use action surge twice per encounter. And practically any martial will pale compared to a fighter using action surge at high levels.
>Heck, a full ranger can make more attacks with (Number of enemies)+1 using volley and horde breaker.
This may surprise you but somebody might want to play a ranger that's not a hunter ranger.
>>
How would I go about modifying a spectator to be some kind of death tyrant spectator?
>>
>>54979197
>>54979288
>>54979358
>>54979484
Hmm... Reading over all the small print it seems there is less synergy then I first thought.

I could still dump Dex/Wis for Con/Str with out to losting put too much but no much pay off either. Depends if unarmed strike counts as a "weapon attack" or not.
>>
>>54981509
You can make a "weapon attack" with an unarmed strike, yes.
>>
>>54981509
You need at least 13 DEX and WIS to multiclass into or out of Monk. I definately wouldn't call that much investment as "dump"
>>
Variant Human Paladin with Skilled feat? I want to have some utility outside of combat too.
>>
>>54981889
thats uhh uhhhh umm... not... uhhh... a uhhh good uhh feat uhhh yeah
>>
File: jeff_goldblum_jpark.jpg (19KB, 230x280px) Image search: [Google]
jeff_goldblum_jpark.jpg
19KB, 230x280px
>>54982023
>thats uhh uhhhh umm... not... uhhh... a uhhh good uhh feat uhhh yeah
>>
3barb/xchampionfighter or
3championfighter/xbarb
>>
>>54982023
Are you Justin Trudeau?
>>
>>54981859.
It's 13 Dex *and* 13 Wis. But considering they both God stats anything less than a +2 in either *is* a "dump" in my opinion. Unlike say intelligent which is a dump from anyone but a straight Wizard.
>>
>>54982450
Seriously they broke Int in 5e.
>>
>>54980620
Not really, but I guess in a hypothetical
>>
>>54981811
I believe this is wrong. I'm pretty sure there's Errata and a safe advice that clears it up. For the same reason rogues can't sneak attack with an unarmed strike.
>>
What is the MAX amount of damage that a single player can do in a single round without any outside help, assuming full damage crits?
I bet a 20th level fighter/Paladin/rogue could so some crazy shit by combining maneuvers and smites and sneak attack and action surge
>>
>>54982754
That's because sneak attack only works with ranged or finesse weapons, and fists are not a finesse weapons.
Crawford clarified that monks use dexterity for unarmed strikes without counting them as finesse weapons to prevent unforeseen circumstances, and one of the effects is no sneak attacks with unarmed strikes.
You can still make weapon attacks with them, though, even though they're not weapons. 5e is weird sometimes.
>>
>>54982754
You can't make a sneak attak because it lacks the finesse property.
>>
>>54982834
Other than sneak attacks with fists, are there any actual exploits it ended up preventing?
>>
>>54982513
RIP Int
>>
>>54982598
Theorycraft for levels you'll actually hit, level 20 isn't significant.
>>
>>54982856
According to WOTC, it was to prevent synergy problems with future content, not necessarily existing content. It's completely possible it has prevented some sort of interaction I'm not thinking about with some UA or another.
>>
>>54971765
Literal autism
>>
>>54982825
An 11 Fighter/9 Paladin can make 6 attacks in one turn with action surge.
12d6 for Greatsword = 24d6 if all crits, maybe the target is paralyzed or something.
2 3rd level slots, so 2x4d8 smites
3 2nd level slots, 3x3d8 smites
1 1st level smite, 2d8
19d8 smite damage, 38d8 if crits
5d10 superiority dice because an 11th level fighter only has 5 superiority dice.
10d10 for crits.
Assuming 20 STR and a +3 weapon, and sacred weapon, damage bonus is +78
24d6+38d8+10d10+78
Averages 388 damage, maxes out at 626 damage.
Did I miss anything?
>>
>>54982825
If a monk uses Pai Mai's five-point-palm-exploding-heart technique and the subject fails the saving roll it dies, so technically infinite I guess?
>>
>>54983177
I guess, but that's lame, I want to see some math. Can anyone beat 626 damage?
>>
>>54983215
I've not got a calculator handy but I think, rounding up, technically speaking, that is to say, infinite > 626
>>
>>54972722
>these metamagics are useless except when they are really good.
>>
>>54983215
>>54983163
>>54982825
Level 20 Nuclear Druid can deal 11d4+110d10+11
22d4+220d10+11 on all crits
Averages 1414 damage, maxes at 2299 damage
>>
>>54983310
How does nuclear druid work, anyways?
>>
>>54983337
Harvest Scythe applied to Magic Missile. Cast magic missile and apply 10d10 harvest Scythe to the spell, and they are applied to EACH missile. So cast magic missile at 9th level gives you 11 missiles, each with an additional 10d10 damage on top of normal magic missile damage.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.