[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gender-Flipped MG game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: tuxedo mask.jpg (105KB, 850x965px) Image search: [Google]
tuxedo mask.jpg
105KB, 850x965px
Okay, /tg/. I'm in a bit of a conundrum here.

My gaming group wants to try something different from the usual fantasy RPGs we play. Something more 'anime-ish', to use the exact words. We rolled for it, and I'm going to be running a magical girl game.

Here's the issue. Everyone's okay with it, but no-one actually wants to play a magical girl. Everyone wants to play a guy. So here's my idea: We have a game where EVERYONE IS TUXEDO MASK.

How do you run a gender-flipped magical girl game, anyway? Is that basically Kamen Rider? This is such a weird, off-the-wall idea I'm actually warming to it, even though part of me thinks it might be the gayest thing ever.
>>
>>54968840

You're basically describing Kamen Rider, just slightly more dapper.
>>
File: killer is dead.jpg (721KB, 1098x1261px) Image search: [Google]
killer is dead.jpg
721KB, 1098x1261px
>>54968870

Well, the only other inspiration I could find was Killer is Dead.
>>
>>54968840

OP, remember that female fantasies are very different from male fantasies. Female fantasies largely involve being saved by vaguely threatening bishonen. Obviously, a tuxedo kamen game should have a lot of stylish girls to romance.
>>
>>54968840
The Sailor Moon RPG gives rules for making female Scouts and male Knights (and Negaverse characters but they're OP and designed to be villains who can take on the whole party at once). Scouts have elemental-themed powers best suited for pure attack and defence, while Knights have emotion/mental-themed powers best suited for support and 'control' roles. If you've ever seen JoJo, you can sort of compare Scouts with stands like Star Platinum and Magician's Red from Part 3 (simple and direct but highly effective) and Knights with stands like Soft & Wet and Paisley Park from Part 8 (versatile and indirect but lacking raw stopping power).

A team of Knights would probably have a tough time facing a villain in direct combat and would have to heavily rely on trickery, clever power use, and teamwork. In a knock-down brawl they'd get their asses handed to them. Thus, your villains should generally be puzzles of some kind where the players have to figure out a way to beat the thing with creativity and lateral thinking, because just running up and punching it isn't going to work.
>>
File: quintet HP.jpg (392KB, 1740x1258px) Image search: [Google]
quintet HP.jpg
392KB, 1740x1258px
>>54968840

OP, you might want to check out the semi-hentai manga Heaven's Prison for inspiration. It's about rapey vampires, but it's not that different. There's even a team of Sailor Scouts!
>>
>>54968926

That's actually pretty funny, but I'm not sure I'm imaginative to come up with a variety of scenarios where there's a trick to the fight. And sadly, neither are my players. Giving them Stands seems like a hilarious idea, but I'll admit that I certainly didn't think of the glam-rock JJBA aesthetic for inspiration.
>>
First thing: that game sounds awesome, hope everyone enjoys it.

Otherwise, strive to maintain tone (innocent fun fighting, at whatever level of humour you decide on), work out motivations, desires, what plotlines will they face, and the difficulties of making a fun enemy who are beaten up every adventure in a fun way. Arguably you could run it such that the enemies are fun to fight, but in the long run it's how to succeed in school and impress girls (and find 'the one').

Suffering should never be the point, have fun.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (189KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
189KB, 1280x720px
>>54968840
>but no-one actually wants to play a magical girl.
>even though part of me thinks it might be the gayest thing ever.

Yeah you guys don't actually want to play a gender-flipped magical girl game. Sounds like you want to play a Kamen Rider sort of game like >>54968870 said or Jojo.
>>
File: tibtwia.jpg (171KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tibtwia.jpg
171KB, 1920x1200px
>None of them want to play magical girls
>Not wanting to play pic related

Why are your players pussies anon?
>>
>>54969025
For whatever reason they don't want their characters to have them.
>>
>>54968840
>>54968870

OP here: Note that I didn't suggest the Tuxedo Mask idea. One of my PCs suggested they take their heroic identities after major clothing brands, so we have Emporio (Armani), (Calvin) Klein, Hugo-Boss and Borsalino.

Yeah, I don't know either.
>>
>>54969071

Given what the show has been based on in the past, I'd 100% buy that as the premise for a modern Rider show.
>>
>>54968840
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE!
>>
>>54968993
You don't need much of an imagination as a GM, just make enemies with a couple of powers and a weakness or two and let your players figure out how to beat them. For example, your team is fighting a super tough armoured enemy that keeps chasing them across town and can barrel right through brick walls. It's very heavy and takes a few seconds to build up momentum to move quickly. Your players will try all sorts of things like:
- leading it into pits
- having it run into sticky or greasy surfaces
- shoving it into a river or canal
- climbing up buildings to slow it down
- shoving it off said building and letting gravity do the work
- finding any holes in its armour they can stick things into to slow its movement
- blinding it or confusing it with illusions
- hiding and waiting for it to lets its guard down

You don't need to plan against all of these ideas, you just need to roll with their plans and, if they roll well enough, let them defeat the monster that way. Just don't let them beat an enemy the exact same way twice, require them to innovate at least a little bit between battles. Shoving an enemy off a roof once is fair game, doing it twice is just asking for the enemy to reveal its hidden wings and royally screw the PCs.
>>
File: CEHDCL.jpg (256KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
CEHDCL.jpg
256KB, 640x960px
>>54968840
>>
>>54968840
Really Nanoha-style is the best way to go about this, since there are hundreds of Mahou Shonen in the setting, just never directly seen besides a few. You can't call Space Magic and badass colourful uniforms the gayest thing ever, OP.

I literally have a good ol' character who's my favourite who literally acts as a Tamashii Shonen once and a while. Its -that- Super Electromagnetic Nutjob, if anyone here knows who I'm talking about without directly stating who it is.
>>
>>54974903
>two literallys in once sentence in the spoiler
Be right back, taking grammar and english clashes again.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.