[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could you play as a fat character? High Con, Low Dex? Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: images (30).jpg (19KB, 298x493px) Image search: [Google]
images (30).jpg
19KB, 298x493px
How could you play as a fat character? High Con, Low Dex?

Does make sense for Noble backgrounded to be overweight?
>>
>>54968152
A fat fuck should be low CON. Being fat doesn't mean you can survive being fucking stabbed.
>>
>>54968152
High cha, lots of connections, dont play DnD
>>
>>54968152
Low Dex and low Con, rest is up to you.
>>
>>54968152
An overweight adventurer would likely have the body of a linebacker, can someone post "American_"""""athlete"""".jpg"?
>>
Generally, it doesn't fit because adventurers do a lot of walking and intense physical exercise.

Being fat is also just a stright negative, you have a lower dex and lower con.
Charisma is arguable, as some people have a certain charm about them due to their weight (generally, a handful of large men can pull this off, with the occasional woman).

Most health experts would also argue it has a negative impact on your mental wellbeing as well, so you're probably looking at a lower Int and Wis.

Str is generally a crapshoot depending on whether your strong anyway, fat guys tend to be either a weiner with layers of blubber of genuine mountain strongman build.
>>
>>54968242
Calories in just has to be greater than calories out, If you are a glutton you are sure to keep your shape under physically tasking situations
>>
>>54968152
>How could you play as a fat character?
/tg/ taught me not to self-insert.
>>
File: 1445784430439.jpg (128KB, 787x787px) Image search: [Google]
1445784430439.jpg
128KB, 787x787px
>>54968152

depends on the system and character class/skill set.

Mor often than not Body weight is an aesthetic choice. But just look for character options that mention weight/speed/ or other such things.

Like the old 3.5 feat Obese.
>>
>>54968169
>Being fat doesn't mean you can survive being fucking stabbed.
>>54968242
>Generally, it doesn't fit because adventurers do a lot of walking and intense physical exercise
look, roman gladiators were fat, exactly BECAUSE fat saves/helps you from minor stab wounds, so like >>54968209 suggests, being muscular with a lot of fat on top isn't far-fetched for (barb) fighty characters.

on the other hand, a fat, lazy and timid but high-charisma merchant is a nice one to play out. maybe changing over the course of the campaign to a "proper hero" type...
>>
I feel like con should be lower for resisting disease or exhaustion, but fat guys can shrug off some serious physical damage and poisons would have dramatically reduced effect, so I don't know.
Reduced con and movespeed, but a separate hp bonus?
>>
...you could also play a follower of nurgle, they tend to be on the chubby side.
or, if in the more classical settings, one could imagine a fat hedonist
>>
>>54968378
>roman gladiators were fat

https://outofthiscentury.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/fat-gladiators-modern-misconceptions-regarding-the-dietary-practices-of-swordsmen-of-the-ancient-roman-arena/

with an excerpt

The schools were also provided with resident medical consultants to check the men’s diet, and both Galen and a leading doctor of the preceding century, Scribonius Largus, concern themselves with this aspect. Gladiators were called hordearii, barley men, because of the amount of barley that they ate, a muscle-building food but (combined with beans as it was at Pergamum) criticized by Galen for making the flesh soft. (emphasis added)

Galen’s reservations about the preponderance of barley “making the flesh soft” suggests that gladiators would not have sought to purposely “pack on the pounds”. Gladiators, like any other fighting men, would not have gained any real advantage from excess bodyfat (and arguably, such extra weight could have actually been a liability).
>>
Barbarians who enjoy to gorge themselves on roasts and beer are bound to be overweight, besides likely helps them with wrestling
>>
>>54968586
fair enough

>A different take, one going from where the soldiers came from:

>Initially, the Roman army was made up mostly of farmers with no long military training. Go look at farm hands in any "primitive" society today (meaning a farm without major mechanisation) to see what such guys look like.
>No "six pack", which is pretty much a late 20th century US beauty ideal and little else, but muscular and strong overall.

>Later, as the cities grew, the army became more professional and city dwellers would be entered into the ranks as well who'd need training to come up to that standard of physical fitness.
>But such would be practical training (sword and bow training, chopping wood and maybe cutting stone), not "modern" bodybuilding stuff and mindless weight lifting.

>I'm not so sure about them deliberately putting on some fat, though their diet might lead to it as a side effect, a diet designed to give them the endurance for day long marches for several days or even weeks in a row, carrying a heavy pack. But the marches themselves would burn away that fat as fast as it accumulated.
>>
It's fucking fantasy, dude. No one bats an eye that you want to play a subterranean demi-human who's only three feet tall. No one gives a shit when you want foot-long pointy ears and inherent magic.
But mention your character likes to eat and has a little bit of a gut from feasting after adventures and everyone pulls out their pocket calculators to try and figure out modifiers and the statistical relevance of being fat. It's fantasy, if you want a fat hero, have a fat hero. My fat barbarian/chef who wanted to cook and feast on every large monster he slayed was one of my favorite characters.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bxHQXYOkk
>>
>>54968152
>>54968352
These aren't pics of fat characters, they're pics of obese characters.

Fat characters don't really need any special rules consideration because being moderately overweight isn't a huge deal. It's not a common body type for long distance runners and jockeys, but you can succeed at most sports with some degree of overweight.

Actual obese characters should, realistically, be limited to how high they can get some of their abilities, e.g. dex, con and speed. But I'm taking about reducing the maximum here, not keeping them below average. RPG characters are, usually, exceptional individuals, and being slightly above average in con, while being obese, isn't even exceptional, it's just somewhat unusual.

Depending on the society you should also get social penalties or bonuses for reactions ranging from "Fat slob" to "Obviously powerful, since he gets so much food".

With regards to the survivability of obese people there are two points I want to make. 1) There are some exceptional stories about obese people surviving multiple stabbings, because the blade didn't reach vital organs. 2) Most surgeons hate working on obese people, because they are almost impossible to sow up once you're done. The extra pressure on the sutures often result in the skin tearing, leading to wound complications. So while obese people may breathe slightly longer after a stabbing than a skinny person, they also often die in routine surgery.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.