[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a fantasy setting based on India and Hindu mythology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

What would a fantasy setting based on India and Hindu mythology be like?
>>
there is only one class called the street shitter that shits in the street
>>
>>54966145
It would be pretty fucking metal, a mix of Wuxia and high fantasy.

>>54966163
HAHA POO IN LOO HAHA SHITTING STREETS HAHA yeah, moving on

post was about Indian mythology, not Indian reality
>>
File: 16192008099.jpg (1MB, 852x1265px) Image search: [Google]
16192008099.jpg
1MB, 852x1265px
>>54966145
Read The Lord of Light.
Fuck I'd love to run some Hindu fantasy.
>>
File: Was-Brahmashtra.png (413KB, 768x391px) Image search: [Google]
Was-Brahmashtra.png
413KB, 768x391px
>>54966145
The gods have weapons so strong that their action movies would seem reasonable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)
>Narayanastra. Would create showers of arrows and discs. The astra's power would increase with the resistance offered to it.
>Sauparna. Would release crazy birds. Hence, it was a good counter to the Nagastra. It was used by Susharma in the Mahabharata war when Arjuna used the Nagastra on the Sampshapataka army.
>Bhaumastra. The weapon could create tunnels deep into the earth and summon jewels.
>Suryastra. Create a dazzling light that would dispel any darkness about and dry up water bodies.
Those aren't the most powerful examples VTW.

Social roleplay would be exotic and important, the closest equivalent being LofFR. Castes, unique taboos etc.
>>
File: 1484851402013.jpg (73KB, 601x625px) Image search: [Google]
1484851402013.jpg
73KB, 601x625px
Before anyone gets it wrong I'd like to point out that Hinduism is not a polytheistic religion, it is a pantheism or monism and has been for longer than most monotheisms have existed.

FYI
>>
File: mukesh-singh-raktabeej-final.jpg (519KB, 1920x1097px) Image search: [Google]
mukesh-singh-raktabeej-final.jpg
519KB, 1920x1097px
>>54966145
All I know is the Raktabija is a monster I'm definitely putting in my next high level campaign.
"Every drop of blood spilled becomes another monster" is an awesome idea for an enemy.
>>
Anon, we already have exalted.
>>
>>54966225
And I'd like to point out that Hinduism isn't so unified that you can define it like that, and that in practice it really depends on which denominations and period in history you're talking about if you want to peg Hinduism into a type.
>>
>>54966225
I'd like to point out that most actual practice of Hinduism is in theory henotheistic and in practice monotheistic or polytheistic.
>>
Basically a thirteen year old's fanfiction.
>>
>>54966225
Yes,no, maybe?

The only real hallmark of Hinduism is that it is from subcontinent of India. Before the east India company took over the Hinduism was far more all over the place then what it is now. Even nowdays their is some sects that have outlooks that would be truly polytheistic in nature rather then pantheistic. Most of the scholarship on the subject that makes it in to the English speaking world is of a rather Pro- Vedas and Pro-Brahma bent by the measure of what goes on in India.

Source: learned it in college and then asked a Indian ex-pat about what I learned in class. He said that it was correct.
>>
File: happyelf.png (109KB, 262x202px) Image search: [Google]
happyelf.png
109KB, 262x202px
>>54966206
This should have been the first post, but still best post.
>>
File: Asuras_Wrath_Art.png (1MB, 780x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Asuras_Wrath_Art.png
1MB, 780x1000px
>>54966145
Bonus points if you manage to simulate crazy mythic power levels.
>>
All I'm getting from this thread is powerful gods, nothing about themes or the logic of the world.
>>
>>54969845
what themes do you want?
You can divide the lesser gods and demons as disciples of older gods, who pray to them for power, and who in turn are worshipped by mortals.
>>
File: 16a47ce37268.jpg (36KB, 340x400px) Image search: [Google]
16a47ce37268.jpg
36KB, 340x400px
There better be Vimanas and ancient nukes in it.
>>
>>54966145
Ever heard about testosterone-inducted poisoning? Because that's more or less where it would go with Hindu myths for the setting. Everyone being OP and more manly than the previous guy, in an almost obsessive "no, I'm manlier than you!" fashion.

>>54966225
Doesn't really make the difference. Like one of the anons already pointed out, Hinduism is internally so diverse you can just say "the collection of believes from India" and that will be all you can say without bending shit like the early 20th century heavy-handed pushing of Trimurti by Europeans, because it reminded them of Holy Trinity.
tl;dr - fuck you and your smug
>>
>>54970248
>best god became a qt trap to prevent war between gods
>second best boi became a enunch for a year because he didn't want to bang his distant relation.
>>
>>54966214

So Exalted, basically
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.