[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General - Brobarians Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 387
Thread images: 32

File: glassesword.png (11KB, 244x236px) Image search: [Google]
glassesword.png
11KB, 244x236px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>54951497

How did your character first start on the path to adventure? Did they have a master? Do they idolize anyone?
>>
File: 1499806888060.jpg (264KB, 860x820px) Image search: [Google]
1499806888060.jpg
264KB, 860x820px
>>54961897
In order to preserve the martial might of the nobility as a military force, the King decreed that all young heirs must have accomplished one great deed to their name in order to inherit land.

Failure of a family to meet those requirements means the house is deprived of its noble status and its land given to someone with deeds to his name, and his family didn't have the money to bribe enough people to make up a deed. So it was a bit of a family duty.
>>
>>54961897
My character was forced into it, had to turn to adventuring when being a peon for a shitty gang wasn't making enough money. Gotta pay the bills somehow
>>
>>54961897
Set off to conquer the world (for the good guys)
>>
File: IMG_1812.png (79KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1812.png
79KB, 426x382px
I'm crashing this thread, no survivors
>>
>>54962098
kys lateposer
>>
>>54962105
Kys weeb
>>
>>54961897
My character has the initiative of a piece of wet toast, he stood in a field without eating or sleeping for close to a year looking at the sun and stars before the party walked by and said he should go with them, so now he wanders with this group of murderers because he has nothing better to do until the end of time. I made this character partially so the other (new) players learn to act on their own without me deciding literally everything for the party

Far Realm is one hell of a drug.
>>
>party is about to kill Bad Guy 1
>got here much faster than expected as they ignored all the side shit I set up
>thinking of making Bad Guy 1 a pawn of a powerful wizard
>party are low level
>might make this wizard a very long way away
>traveling there will level them up thru random encounters/small quests
>not sure how to introduce this idea without it being lame AF 'note' or something
Ideas?
>>
>>54962196
Next time the party spies on the wizard, or right when they enter his lair, have the wizard be communicating with his boss asking for assistance with the heroes, and the big bad just brushes them off as not worth his time
>>
>>54961897
>How did your character first start on the path to adventure?
My cleric has a literaly Moses experience, with a god he's never even heard of before speaking to him and giving orders through a burning bush.
>>
Our party acquired a baby hook horror, what should we name it?
>>
>>54962369
Hooker
>>
>>54962369
Dinner.
>>
>>54962369
Gigan
>>
>>54962216
Kinda like that idea, thanks
>>
Gonna ask again, maybe I'll get more ideas in a more active thread

I'm trying to think of a good magic item to give to the Battlemaster in my game. He plays like a support tank, very tactical, and much of his presence in combat is used to mitigate damage from the squishier people in the party by grappling, shoving, sentineling, facetanking OAs to remove reactions, and all of his maneuvers are used solely to benefit the rest of the party, like maneuvering and menacing strike.
I want to give him something that can augment his combat utility rather than something that just gives him more damage or something. Accepting homebrew ideas as well. My ideas so far are a ring that lets him cast enlarge once per day, or some gauntlets that give advantage on grapple/shove contests or something. Anyone else more creative than me?
This is for a level 5 character.
>>
>>54962421
Maybe armor with one/two additional arms so he can still use weapons or grapple more people?
>>
>>54961897
Was a member of a nomadic tribe, a traveling merchant sees his wrestling performance when attempting to barter with the tribe, promises him riches and sets him up as a traveling champion. This goes on for a decent number of years, gaining experience and a small bit of fame.

Gets shook after being defeated repeatedly, goes on a downward spiral. His manager/merchant dumps him in a result of this. Finding himself stuck in foreign lands and far away from where his family would be, takes up odd jobs to survive, the adventure is one of them.
>>
>Khorvaire is cool but the rest of the world isn't as fleshed out, not in a good way
>Faerun has tons of fluff but the interesting stuff is buried and it always focuses on the sword coast
>Mystara has genuinely interesting material but it's hard to read through
Is there any comprise?
>>
>>54962491
>>54962421
Building on this, maybe make it an amulet or other piece of jewelry instead that manifests magical arms on command or something
>>
>>54962534
Homebrew your own setting?
>>
>>54962491
>>54962580
Thing is, Dancing Sword and Animated Shield basically fulfil that purpose and they're considered Very Rare. It might not be balanced to give a character an extra arm at level 5 when the only items in the game that actually does something similar is rated for a level 10-15 character
>>
Three of our party members have short-rest requiring classes, the DM said there'll be less short rests.
What do?
>>
>>54961897
Royalty was suffocating she wanted to fight shit.
>>
>>54962715
Leomund's tiny hut
Flip off your DM
>>
>>54961897
She's a wood elf that broke off ties with her family due to petty and selfish reasons, took a priceless family heirloom with her, and started out on a path to glory!
10 years later she is a half-decent fence in a port city of pirates and thieves. She got some information on a horde of treasure in a temple lost to history and decided to strike out on a path to the easy life!
Then she got captured by bandits and ended up getting rescued by a motley band of adventurers.
>>
>>54962715
Find another DM. Yours is shit for saying what you can and can't do.
>>
>>54962421
Is there anything you have them run into that tends to stonewall him hard?
>>
>>54962715
>Requiring
maybe you shouldn't lean so hard on that crutch
>>
>>54962782
t. wizard
>>
>>54962770
Basically anything that can give him a taste of his own medicine. If he's constantly having his speed reduced, being grappled/restrained, knocked prone etc, he can't really move around to help out where he needs to. Also casters since his AC doesn't do shit against magic.
>>
>>54961897
He's a dwarf druid who believes that the druid powers forced upon him would be a disgrace to his clan (they wouldn't be), so he set out in he world to make a name for himself before returning
>>
>>54961897
Sorcerer, he's a wizard college dropout. Left home and wander for a while drinking and sleeping around. Met up with a barbarian, they protected each other from a gang of thieves and have been parading around as mercs ever since.
>>
>>54962809
It might be too strong, but what about a once-daily freedom of movement, possibly with reduced duration?
>>
>>54962653
I like the official maps, but I guess it's time to put in some work.
>>
>>54962849
That's a good idea, I'll definitely take it into consideration. Thanks!
>>
Why does mastermind suck as a mastermind archetype? Sure, there's some ribbons but nothing that beats any other class' ribbons.
>>
>>54962900
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54962924
Warlock has way more going for it in terms of mastering minds. Less MAD for intelligence, better class features, better manipulation, probly better investigative powers. All around gooder than a MM rogue, which seems like a complete waste.

Obviously a lore bard can master that role too cause they're lore bards and are masters of anything.
>>
Looking at the monster's manual, an Archmage is an 18th level spellcaster, with 20 INT - with a spell save DC of 17, +9 to hit. Going by the PHB however, he should have a spell save DC of 19 and a +11 to hit.

What are the calculations used for NPC spellcasters? Because it should be higher
>>
>>54962997
NPC proficiency bonus is based on CR, not their "level of spellcasting" in some feature they have.
>>
Thoughts on bardlocks? Are they any good? Does the dip into warlock offer some good advantages?
>>
>>54963144
Could do good but the problem is that bard 18 is amazing so more than a 2 dip which can make or break warlock MCs is going to really really hurt late game.
>>
Since JC rule that you can sneak attack with Magic Stone. Does this mean you can also apply Sharpshooter +10 damage bonus to it?
>>
>>54963179
If you sling it, yes. That's a ranged weapon attack with a sling, thrown isnt a ranged weapon attack.
>>
>>54962782
Even druids, clerics, bards, fighters "need" short rests. Maybe you should be less of a turdnugget.
>>
>>54963230
They certainly WANT short rests, that's not the same thing.
>>
>>54962997
Their proficiencies are based on CR.
https://astranauta.github.io/rules.html#Monsters
Read the fucking manual.
>>
>>54962900
Mastermind and Inquisitive should be merged imo.
>>
>>54963251
But they also need it to be effective, the sum features of their class mechanics.
>>
>>54963165
I was only planning on taking a 2 level dip, just didn't know if it would play well with lore bard. And i wasn't sure when i should take the levels, should they be my first two or take a few of bard first?
>>
>>54963209
Any cool build for this?
>>
Can I replace Flurry of Blows attacks with Grapple/Shove attempts or can I only do that with my Attack action attacks?
>>
Is a Devotion Paladin worth taking to Level 20?
>>
>>54963251
It would also be considered denying their core mechanics. It is the same thing.
>>
>>54963251
>Hey DM my class relies on this
>lol you don't need that, fuck off
If you aren't going to use short rests, you should rebalance a lot of things. Loads of classes rely on short rests to be useful throughout the day
>>
>>54963351
Battlemaster without short rests is just a lame archetype-less fighter DPR turret
>>
>>54963306
Depends on how DEVOTED you are to the cause.
>>
>>54963373
Exactly, tons of classes have very low uses of their features because they rely on those short rests to recharge them. If you aren't using short rests you should up the number of uses you have
>>
>>54963281
>>54963351
To be maximally effective, sure. Any PC with an Action available is reasonably effective. I probly wouldn't gimp it if there's full casters in the party but fuck WotC for getting rid of any sort resource management dilemma.

>>54963285
I honestly don't know, I don't personally see what locks bring to the table before 3. Some specialty invocation combos could be nice maybe but that depends on what you're doing on your bard. Misty Visions or Mask of Many Faces could be pretty good maybe.
>>
>>54963302
It doesn't give you "attacks", it gives you "unarmed strikes", so you can't convert them into anything else.
>>
>>54963410
To be effective and flavorful within their mechanics. What happens to the battlemaster when less short rests are given?
What happens to a party of a battlemaster, warlock, monk?

You do realize the 15 minute short rest is a thing in 5e don't you?
>>
>>54963474
Gosh I guess they'd have to be careful with using their limited resources. Maybe make more careful tactical decisions or perhaps even avoid difficult combat situations.
>>
How OP is this? I can't tell if mystic needs it or not because the only Mystic I've seen was played by the type of player who spends all his high level spell slots on goblins then bitches when they don't have any left when they need it, and this Mystic is played by someone actually not retarded.

>Mind Gem
>Required class- Mystic
>This clear gemstone is embedded directly into a Psionic creature's skull, and allows for the constant replenishment of psychic power.

While this gem is embedded into your skull, you regain 1/8th of your maximum PSI points (rounded down) every hour.

Basically lets them get points back slowly on short rests.

The PC will have to beat a Mindflayer in a brain duel to get it.
>>
>>54961897
What fucking brush is that?
>>
>>54963489
Maybe you shouldn't try to force classes built around a certain mechanic to not use that mechanic
>>
>>54963489
Sure if you play a coward piece of shit. If you want to do that, that's your perogative but don't force others to.
>>
>>54963501
IIRC its Binary Brush.
>>
>>54963496
>While this gem is embedded into your skull, you regain 1/8th of your maximum PSI points (rounded down) every hour.
>Basically lets them get points back slowly on short rests.
except that's not how what is written works, they would regain psy points regardless of short rests. if you want them to regain 1/8 on a short rest then say that.
>>
>>54963511
The class is what makes them supergods, not what makes them players/characters.

>>54963533
>But why can't i have free infinity powers to use all the time?
>Not just hiring dozens of commoners with slings/crossbows to fight your battles for you for a fraction of the cost of your healing potion
>>
>>54963576
You realize what short rests are, don't you and how many are in a day?
Are you aware of that?
>>
>>54963561
Yeah I'm fine with it essentially being very slow mana regen, making it 1 hour ticks is probably more balanced than 10 minute ones or whatever.

Might make it "every 1 hour of light activity", as that's how Adaptive Body's resting is listed.
>>
Can the conjurers 2nd lvl feature be used to create spell components?
>>
>>54963599
*1 hour 1/8 ticks instead of 30 minute 1/16 ticks etc.
>>
>>54963576
Do you actually understand what short rests are?
>>
>>54963598
>>54963622
I'm aware of what DMG suggests and what different classes would want to have.
>>
Would you 1v1 a ranger of equal level and equipment on difficult terrain or 5 unique chromatic adult dragon.
>>
>>54963605
IIRC only ones not consumed by casting.
>>
>>54963637
Then why are you so insistent on gimping classes that are built around having them?
>>
>>54963599
just make it a short rest, unless you really desire your player asking "has it been an hour yet?" every fifteen minutes.
>>
>>54963657
I'm not saying gimp them relative to wizards or something. Mundane-only games would benefit most cause fuck wizards breaking class balance in every edition.
>>
>>54963637
Then you must realize your hyperbole is retarded.
>>
>>54963643
What equipment does the ranger have and what conclave?
>>
Hey /5eg/, I posted a while ago and asked for some opinions on an idea for a campaign set featuring baddies themed around the 7 deadly sins, and received a good bit of feedback and ideas. Here's the outline, and I will follow up with the actual bosses. I want to see what people reckon of the fleshed out ideas.

The Seven Circles

Each one has a "dungeon" or type of encounter, and a specific fighting style and "super form" where the invoke their demons to grant them even greater power, partially transforming (anime as fuck in a lot of ways) and getting access to the darkness within. Each one has motivations of their own, and reasons for accepting the power they received, and each one is located somewhere important, doing important shit to further their goals. A number of them would have large minion followings, and would not be easily accessed due to their connections and wealth.

While they have suggested classes, they are more for theme and image than actual stats. Also apologies for some of the art, it's for inspiration on themes and it's really fuggen hard to find non-r34 material sometimes when you search "Drown Priestess" or "Tielfing female"

Pride - Oni - Demon (this is a PC)
Wrath - Barlgura - Gorilla
Sloth - Bone Devil - Skeleton
Gluttony - Nalfeshnee - Boar
Lust - Marilith - Snake
Envy - Vrock - Birds
Greed - Rakshasa - Tiger
Acedia - Dragon - Dragon (special boss)

cont in next post.
>>
Anyone done 5e in space / sword & planet / future setting? Looking for advice on doing a Dragonstar / Spelljammer type campaign.
>>
>>54964007
>not having lust be a succubus
How unpredictable of you anon
>>
>>54961897
Kicked out of his tribes mead hall because he is a half-orc after his father died. Rather than be treated as an honor-less coward by people that he once respected he decided to leave and do deeds so great that no one could question his right to sit in their hall.
>Did they have a master
He learned to fight at the hands of his father and learned the songs and stories of his ancestors from his mother and father.
>Do they idolize anyone?
The men of legend from their tales. Men of strength and honor.
>>
>>54964039
>>54964007

I would have done Lamia myself.
>>
>>54964087
WHatever knocks your rocks anon
>>
File: Wrath.jpg (110KB, 640x768px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath.jpg
110KB, 640x768px
>>54964007
Wrath - Warchief Krodh of The Irascible Horde; duergar dwarf Barbarian. Fights everything, loves violence, carries out all manner of terrible shit on others. Does have some honor, albeit only when it's in his favour. Wields an axe that is "large monster" sized (i.e. would normally be disadvantage but isn't). Uses Enlarge ala duergar, and then when demon-masked grows even bigger still, becoming giant sized. Will fling boulders as projectiles, rages, frenzies, etc.

Possible first encounters: As the leader of the horde, when attacking a city the PCs are in, or an element of it attacks the city and they are tasked with repelling the assault. The survivors of the horde go back to their warcamp and tell Krodh of the strong fighters, so he marches back with a mind to challenge them.

When on the road between places, the PCs come across a large band of warriors, lead by a very angry duerger, who challenges them to a battle. Because the fight proves good to him (if he wins) he will spare them and say to fight him again when they are stronger, then tell them he is off to sack the city they were just in. If the party is likely to win he will bail saying he needs to get stronger.

Possible final encounter: In open battle between two armies (horde versus kingdom coalition as they defend some city against the destructive bastards), where he will seek them out on the battlefield if A - he has fought them before or B - sees them turning the tide. Or a duel in some location that seems fitting. After a campaign against his military might the PCs have a final confrontation against Krodh, where it's all or nothing.
>>
Reminder that Sorcerers are the worst fullcasters and never worth playing beyond Sorlock/Palasorc broken multiclasses.
Fix sorc by
>Have them use spell points instead of spell slots, they now have significantly more spells to cast and it doesn't sync with multiclassing
>Give them a thematic to their archtype list of free spells ala Cleric/Paladin domain lists
>Buff all the metamagics that aren't Quicken/Twinned/Subtle because they're shit compared to the previously mentioned ones
Sorcerer now inhabits its intended niche of "Guy who can cast a lot of spells in multiple ways" without being just a worse Wizard. Sorlock is still broken with these changes but that's an issue that lies inherently in Warlock's dip potential rather than Sorc's that can be solved by telling the piece of shit trying to play that combo that they're not allowed to take Eldritch Blast.
>>
File: Sloth.jpg (66KB, 670x950px) Image search: [Google]
Sloth.jpg
66KB, 670x950px
>>54964130
Sloth - Priestess Tristitia; drow Cleric. Subverts things to get people worshiping her. Can make a bit of an accent joke here with Lolth and Sloth sounding similar enough if we go Drow. Fighting style is to summon others/raise the dead to do her work for her. When demon-masked she will use large scale necrotic spells to absorb the life of others, debuff them, then close in for the kill with some very surprising speed and strength.

Possible first encounters: At a temple or ceremony of some sort where she is giving a sermon about the needs of the faith and the worshippers that should be praying to the "servants of the gods" (i.e. her) for aid, and not the gods themselves. Her argument will be around the clerics do the work, they need the prayers to charge their divine powers etc. She will have many servants (other clerics) with her, distributing things to the populace to win favour.

During a religious holiday the PCs come across, where Tristitia is being worshipped as the incarnation of various gods and the party can see her being fed power from them, while doing nothing in return. She will invite them to join her, saying she can give them many of the things they desire if they will add to the chorus of praises she is receiving.

Possible final encounter: At the site of a ritual she is using to further her goals and take over an area of the world via necromancy and dark magics, summoning demons and undead to do her bidding with a mass sacrifice. Think old temple to some god, a dark pit type thing (mine maybe?) with lots of levels of terrain that can house various enemies, her at the bottom and center on a palanquin surrounded by devotees, then have her killing people and loving it.
>>
File: Gluttony.jpg (61KB, 593x812px) Image search: [Google]
Gluttony.jpg
61KB, 593x812px
>>54964153
Gluttony - "Lord" Gula Hirs-Gola; dragonborn (dragon-boarn? Geddit?) fighter?. Gambler/lord/all around decadence/indulgence lover. Opulent as fuck, wears all the gold and jewels, eats all the food and drinks all the drink. Hangs out in/runs a casino. Dungeon setup involving gambling puzzles. Fighting style is a roulette/game of chance, to use massive attacks with magic, or technology he has acquired over the years. Breath attacks a stack of alcohol at one point, causing an explosion of some magnitude. When demon-masked he grows less cunning and far more direct, using his bulk to crush his foes.

Possible first encounter: When in the casino he runs, he comes to the table and greets the party, knowing who they are and that they are strong (adventurer privilege), and tries to get them to indulge in all the delights, many of which are traps (poison, spells, etc etc).

Possible final encounter: After navigating the maze/dungeon with all the crazy gambling stuff he realizes he is cornered and must fight, using a room that's full of mechanical madness like whole room rotating around (changing what is the "floor" and such), blades that come out of walls/floors, grenades (that look like large dice), all sorts of food and drink (see exploding kegs of spirits above) and all around comical fight (that is also super deadly).
>>
File: Lust.jpg (36KB, 402x640px) Image search: [Google]
Lust.jpg
36KB, 402x640px
>>54964167
Lust - Madam Marielle Lux; tiefling Sorcerer. Madame and slave trader. Deals in pleasures of the flesh. Works closely with Gluttony/Gula. Fighting style is to poison and charm enemies, using her allure to lull them into traps. When demon-masked she grows 4 additional arms and a snake tail, using them all to deadly effect.

Possible first encounters: Sells out Gula Hirs-Gola and pretends she wants out of the life, giving some massive sad backstory about how she was a prostitute, forced aganist her will to sell her body by a horrible man who had used her for years. She killed him out of revenge and took over his business, selling her "soul" for power and getting the demon's strength. If the party continues to press her into a fight she tries to flee, or the fight ensues.

She owns the inn the party stay at in the city they visit to find her, and in the night she visits (using illusion to appear as some normal person), finding out which rooms they are in and sending assassins. If the party defeat the assassins one will blab the truth about who she was and that she sent them.

Maybe she joins them and gives sob story early on, getting them to trust her and asks to travel with them or for help against Hula/another Seven Circles member. Then backstabs the fuck out of them when the time is right. Maybe even goes for the long con angle and plays romantic interest to one of them.

Possible final encounter: In her mansion/main brothel where the party will be tempted with all sorts of illusions and offers, lair actions that send beautiful people to seduce them that are all assassins, magic that confounds and gets them lost etc. When the reach her it's on a beautiful rooftop garden with lots of tall flower bushes, hedges, pools etc where she can attack and retreat on a whim.
>>
File: Envy.jpg (113KB, 736x982px) Image search: [Google]
Envy.jpg
113KB, 736x982px
>>54964182
Envy - "Prince" Vidia Mohirysha; half-elf Bard?. Obsessed with being better than everyone out of spite rather than personal development. Hates other people having nice things. Wears only the finest clothes, armor and weapons, and considers himself quite the swordsman (rapier?) and magician. Fighting style is to mock, stall and lightly wound the enemy over and over, using trickery to succeed; plus legendary actions to literally copy their moves/steal their weapons. When demon-masked summons a flock of screeching birds (magpies?) that surround him like a shield, fly out to attack, block vision and otherwise are annoying.

Possible first encounters: When doing something along the quest they are approached by a noble, wearing finery and looking down his nose at them. He's contemptuous and says he could have done better, saying their paltry affectations are nothing compared to true beauty and power. If they rise to the bait he continues, warning them that he holds sway enough in the court/area to have them arrested if they try anything. If they push him he will summons guards to take them away.

During a tournament or pageant, Vidia competes (as a fighter or whatever is being competed for) and faces off against one of the party, mocking them brutally if he wins, or if he loses swearing revenge against them and saying he will use all of his resources to bring them down.

Possible final encounter: At some castle or manor, fighting through animated armors, loyal servants and warriors, etc while he sits on a throne at the back of the area doling out insults and suggestions that his men fight harder (if they are losing). When he enters the battle he goes all out from the beginning. Birds also attack people with the shiniest shit.
>>
>>54963643
>Battlemaster crossbow fighter
I think if I burn all my precision and maybe a disarm, and burn action surge I could kill him in less than a round if I went first.
We both have 16AC and 50HP meaning I could shoot 5 times with a mod of +4 on my turn. Average of 50damage after 3 hits.
>>
File: Greed.jpg (228KB, 900x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Greed.jpg
228KB, 900x1080px
>>54964199
Greed - Gier Jashe; changeling Wizard. Hoarder of all things, in particular knowledge. Also has a massive collection of magical items and such. Has learned just insane amounts of spellcraft over the years, and is a very cunning, very tricky opponent. Fighting style is to take the form of someone the person knows and backstab them, or lull them into traps. Will even shapeshift to set one party member against another once they discover his secret. Uses magic as primary means of attack and defense. When demon-masked, becomes a lot more difficult to deal with as he will try and dominate people to fight with him against their friends. Will also use magic items and such more.

Possible first encounter: During a search for information, party may come across him, and he will either feed them false info (if they let on who they are searching out/up against) or if they have fought others of the Seven Circles before, he may play them off against the others to gain power. Could also be found at a large library, as a cursory encounter.

Could appear to them many times over the course of the campaign, but they don't know it as he's always in a different form, gathering information and knowledge on their movements, plans, etc. Will often offer help but it won't always be reliable. You could possibly make almost every main NPC this guy, and note down some things they said to him so he can quote them later. Another Seven Circles member you could use as a "friend" until a betrayal.

Possible final encounter: After tracking him to his lair, the party will be subject to a game of cat and mouse as Gier deceives them and constantly shapeshifts into people they know (who he has found out about via scrying and shit) or other party members if they get separated in order to defeat them one by one. Big knowledge related dungeon, with plenty of puzzles.
>>
>>54963643
>1st level wizard
Sleep and coup de grace
>>
>>54964238
Coup de grace doesn't exist RAW.
>>
>>54964244
Well a crit from a two handed quarterstaff will still knock a first level character unconscious, then I continue to bash his head in until it turns to mush.
>>
>>54964244
Sleep and move them to the edge of a cliff
>>
>>54964244
Or instead of attacking, sleep and push them off a cliff, or sleep and drop a boulder on their head, or sleep and just take all his gear and leave him for dead.

Sleep is instant victory in this situation
>>
File: Lust2.jpg (80KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
Lust2.jpg
80KB, 512x768px
>>54964007
>>54964130
>>54964153
>>54964167
>>54964182
>>54964199
>>54964220

So each of these people has been granted power by accepting a demon into themselves (in the form of a tattoo) and have used said power to get themselves where they want to be or ready for some big schemes they want to enact.

The campaign kick off will be the old master of the PC that has an Oni in him (giving him warlock levels) asking for the party to help him against the other 6, with the 7th being another former pupil of the master who went rogue and started using ancient magics and rituals to bind demons to those who he thought worthy or who asked him for power.

He's the "Dragon" boss at the end. Still working on that one.

What do you guys think? Good campaign basis? Each of the Circles/Sins is a good foil for different members of the current party, with their own flaws and virtues being highlighted by the bad guys.

Also alternate art for "Lust" when she is being a good girl.
>>
>>54964238
What if there are 5d8 mice right next to him that soak the sleep?
>>
>>54964296
>Oh you thought you casted sleep on those goblins but you actually slept 38 ants crawling on the ground!
Fuck off
>>
>>54964296
The mice roll low and the sleep rolls high, no winning against sleep faggot
>>
>>54964308
I mean the scenario already operates off the assumption that the wizard and his most likely lower dex went first against a ranger that (at least in revised form) has advantage on initiative rolls, has advantage on attacks when he/she goes first and could reasonably deal 1d10+2+modifier against a target with most likely roughly 9 health, so there were some logical leaps to begin with.
>>
>>54963643
At level 5 a Ranger would be easy as fuck to kill as a Sorcerer. As long as I go first, quicken a 3rd level magic missile, then for my action use wand of magic missile and use all 7 charges.
>>
>>54962216
>not worth his time
Holy shit this is gold, love it
>>
I'm going to run a wuxia-themed low-level adventure (levels 1-4) in the near future. Does anyone have any suggestions for potential plot hooks? I am having some difficulty thinking of something that'll make sense for lower levels. I definitely can see the party being able to handle a bandit warlord, but I'm drawing blanks on ideas that would involve the political and supernatural aspects of the genre.
>>
>>54964341
Shield or a precast mage armor make that less certain, wouldn't be IMPOSSIBLE for a wizard to survive a single round.
>>
>>54961897
I'd like to hear a general opinion on the following; If I play a character that has the sun/daylight sensitivity trait, but is also very crafty and a renaissance man with many skills (learned various crafts throughout his lifetime), would you allow this character to craft a pair of sunglasses (with the necessary materials and a forge) which would negate their light sensitivity trait when worn?
>>
>>54964422
Races with sunlight sensitivity have it for a reason
>>
>>54964341
All a wizard has to do is survive one round, and besides.
>Not putting a decent score in Dex and/or Con
>Not precasting mage armor or casting shield
>Rangers not starting with longbow (seriously who makes a heavy crossbow ranger?)
>Ranger could just roll shit for damage

A 1st level wizard has good odds at beating a 1st level ranger, it just depends on rolls, and potentially racial bonuses.
>>
>>54964422
I would definitely allow them to craft sunglasses. It wouldn't stop their skin from burning painfully though. I would allow them to tolerate daylight with thick clothing but not negate the penalty.
>>
>>54964449
>ranger has heavy crossbow or longbow
>also has sharpshooter
Good luck fucker I'm 400-600 feet away
>>
>>54964406
You make a fair point with shield, but if the Wizard can precast mage armor the ranger could certainly have hid and gotten a surprise round, given dex is one of their primary stats and the Ranger's ability is about tracking and travelling stealthily.

>>54964449
>not putting a decent score in Dex and Con
With standard array that's a 16 at best, assuming you're putting your highest stat into int
>Ranger not getting a surprise round due to the Wizard putting his high stats in Dex, Con and Int
With advantage and no reactions on the surprise round, the odds of the Wizard making it to his second turn aren't high.

Ultimately it's a whole big set of what-ifs, and at level 1 it's really easy for both sides to oneshot the other in a single turn if optimized for this duel in particular.
>>
>>54964422
>Hey guys can I negate one of the greatest weaknesses of my race that keeps them balanced
Sure why not while we're at it why not let all the orcs have Pack Tactics because they trained to fight in squads and the Gnomes get Magic Resistance because they got used to being Fireballed.
>>
>>54964437
>implying balance is ever a concern in 5e design
>>
>>54964487
>Sharpshooter
But variant human is banned :^)
>>
First time DMing tomorrow

Any advise??
>>
>>54964403
It will certainly help to remember the basics of Wuxia:
>The government/authorities are either inept or corrupt.
>People, both good and bad, make their own laws.
>Being a badass and solving problems extra-judicially is just about the most praiseworthy thing you can do.
>"Unnatural" magic is evil.
>>
>>54964489
Is forest gnome in 5e?
>Pass without trace racial

It's still anyone's game either way and shield is a must-have kind of thing especially in 5e when you can cast in heavy armor (fucking mage armors)
>>
>/5eg/ arguing about who beats who in a 1v1 at level 1 as if it's not completely dependant entirely on who hits the other person first because you have no fucking health.
The Paladin could instagib the Ranger at level 1 if he got lucky.
>>
>>54964502
Even without it the ranger can stand just a smidge out of Sleep range
>>
>>54964502
With 150 feet effective range, the Ranger could literally kite the Wizard forever without sharpshooter, since the Wizard can only run up to 35 (Wood Elf/Tabaxi, dashing on difficult terrain) and Sleep has an effective range of 90 feet. The Wizard is physically incapable of getting close enough to actually cast, so it'd be a cantrip vs. weapon fight, which the ranger would almost certainly win.
>>
>>54964500
What edition did you come from that's more balanced than 5e? Because other than 4e, none of them were. Editions older than 3e didn't even pretend they were.
Wizards even put out extensive balance documents for homebrewers because they actually care about balance nowadays. You are showing your ignorance and no more.

>>54964527
The whole argument is moronic because players are supposed to cooperate and complement each other's weaknesses. Balance in D&D is not determined by PVP.
>>
>>54964244
i already know what you are gonna say in response but
you seriously expect me to believe that your character cant bend down and cut the neck of a sleeping target?
i understand maybe on a bug bear or on a heavily armored target or a fucking dragon or some shit you cant just "slit the neck"
But you seriously expect me to believe that a light or medium armored ranger who is asleep cant be killed instantly because there is no rule pretending to it?
>>
>>54964494
>>54964437
>negating something with an item is the same as just erasing the negative trait
What's next, are you going to tell me that we shouldn't introduce a variant rule that turns humans from one of the weaker races to one of, if not the strongest race?
>>
>>54964558
>A pair of sunglasses prevents a racial penalty
Fuck no
>>
>>54964524
>>54964449
A 1st level wizard has 2 spell slots, and 0/2 rounded up is still 0 with regards to arcane recovery. If he casts both he can't cast sleep.
>>
>>54964552
"Pertaining"?

>>54964558
Different anon. I think the idea is that negating a major downside should be more difficult than "I make sunglasses lol." It should be a major quest or somesuch.
>>
>>54964569
mage armor OR shield and sleep
>>
>>54964573
auto correct is a bitch my friend
>>
>>54964558
I like non-variant humans in some games. But really fuck the underdark generally, cept smurfneblins.

>>54964569
Mage armor is really kind of meh anyway, I'm pretty sure me and the other guy were doing an either-or kind of thing. Shield has the obvious advantage in ONE round but not the whole fight. Mage armor unfortunately doesn't stack with actual armor.
>>
>>54964552
Anon based on the rules of combat and the unconscious condition it is possible to try to slit the throat of a sleeping ranger and miss entirely. That's just how the rules are. If you want it to be different in your setting you can make it so, but in an "official" setting that's just how it is.
>>
>>54964580
>>54964584
That puts the wizard at most likely 16 AC at best, which is a little tough for a level 1 with a +5 to hit but certainly not undoable with the advantage and possible surprise round he is fairly likely to have (assuming you didn't >roll well enough to outfit your wizard with 16+ in 4/6 stats).
>>
>>54964595
ok are we talking about in combat or out of combat?
In combat yes i agree solid chance he needs to make a roll to hit and regular the target is asleep conditions apply its to hectic/just a plain bad idea to bend down and slit his neck properly
however out of combat where the only target was the ranger and got sleeped so no more fighting is happening
are we seriously debating over the ability to bend down a drag a dagger across a piece of flesh while you have 1 full minute to do so as soon as they hit the floor?
Like i said fully believable if its a humanoid (monstrous/other race with different anatomy) or a straight up monster or a heavily armored humanoid even
>>
>>54964549
>Wizards even put out extensive balance documents for homebrewers because they actually care about balance nowadays.
While 5e is much more balanced than 3.5, don't show your own ignorance by implying that the first draft of anything the 5e team puts out is much more than garbage. I have written garbage homebrew that was better than the atrocity that was 2d6 hitdice ranger.
>>
>>54964582
Aye, she be a tough mistress.

>>54964595
During the heat of battle, it's entirely possible to not get a proper stab at a neck. Outside of battle, the DM shouldn't make you roll anything. AC and hit points are a combat abstraction.
>>
>>54964631
12+dex+5 base can be well over 16, if you go mountain dwarf you can get hella AC at level 1 with no gold limit or decent with a gold limit.
>halfplate@750GP => 15+2+5 = 22
>scale@50GP => 14+2+5 = 21

thats before including all the other equipment that could come into play or cover.
>>
>>54964664
I have no idea how what you said is relevant to what I said. I said that Wizards are dedicated to balance to the point that they even give homebrewers balance guidelines.
If anything, the 2d6 hp ranger proves I'm right, because they changed it when it turned out to be unbalanced. Same with most UAs. They're not omniscient, and they make mistakes, but they fix them, because they care.
>>
>>54964684
>15+2+5 = 22
>14+2+5 = 21
I'm sorry, what?
>>
>>54964684
I was assuming the precast spell was mage armor, because you can't take reactions (i.e. shield) in the surprise round.
>>
>>54964704
15 (halfplate) + 2(dex) + 5(shield)
Its not hard to understand.
>>
>>54964684
If we're bringing racial bonuses into this the Ranger could just be an Elf (hardly an odd choice for an elf) and invalidate the whole sleep = you win argument in the first place
>>
>>54964711
Yeah, with mage armor you're boned. That's generally true though. Going against a surprise attack will most likely fuck a wizman but mage armor is only +1 AC from just wearing fucking armor you're proficient in. Not a very good spell in 5e.
>>
>>54964661
This is fantasyland retard. HP isn't meatpoints and you're not free to just instakill everything RAW because it's asleep. Remember that you're roleplaying in a fantasy universe where the moment you touch the tip of the blade to the target's neck they can suddenly awaken by sheer battle instinct, or perhaps shift out of the way just barely enough so it's not a mortal wound, or your hand slips because of some minor fumble.
Now it's autistic and slows the game down to force the player to roll the attack roll regardless against a defenseless enemy, similar as to how there wouldn't be any point in making a player roll 10 attacks against a tied up person as they continously stab them until they're at 0hp in the situation where the tied up person had no chance of escaping, but don't assume that you're free to just ignore the rules at all times when it's 'convienent' or is 'realistic' to you.

You make your attack with advantage, and if you hit you automatically crit. That's it and fuck off.
>>
>>54964422
Na that's boring. Instead you should invent a autonomous flying umbrella companion that you use to get enemies out of direct sunlight.
>>
Best fighting style if I'm going sword and board?
TWF takes up my bonus action, and GWF, having a shield gives me more versatility/Survivability, unless GWF is still worth it with a longsword versatile.
>>
>>54964741
Yep. There's really tons of options for level 1 either way but Sleep is always going to be a shittily balanced one.
>>
>>54964758
Defense. You're already stacking AC by wielding a shield, why not stack more?
>>
>>54964758
Dueling?
>>
>>54964758
Dueling for damage, defense for (gasp) defense
>>
>>54964758
Defense, Dueling, or Protection (or whatever it's called) depending on what you want to accomplish.

Take Shield Master.

That's basically all there is to sword'nboard "builds".
>>
>>54964697
Maybe you're right, but I feel like they use UA as an excuse to push out stuff they didn't even bother to think bout the balance for and then roll back on with an apology once they figure out what people are so mad about- ergo, what to fix.
It's the early access release of tabletop. I don't have a marketing degree, so it might be a completely valid tactic to push obviously broken stuff and then check what people care about fixing, but stuff like Tumble for the College of Satire or Lore Wizard makes my skin crawl.
>>
>>54964777
Dueling can't crit and damage isn't nearly as bounded as accuracy is in 5e. +1 AC would be more significant than +2 damage per attack, especailly because of HP bloat.
>>
>>54964771
>>54964777
Trying to figure out if a flat +2 is useful pass like lvl 3.
>>
>>54964758
Protection seems like it might be cool but seems like it would be ruined by taking Sentinel.
>Reaction: kill speed on AoO
>Reaction: impose disadvantage
>Reaction: Melee Attack
Too many options not enough actions.
>>
>>54964794
You could make a good case for Blade Mastery too. You can jump right to 20 AC with the Defense style, a shield, and either chain or scale+14 dex. The +1 to hit doesn't hurt either.
>>
>>54964803
>Getting mad about Satire Bard when it's nowhere near as good as PHB Lore Bard
Do you even know the point of UA? Spoilers, it's playtest. They send it to players, and the players test it. They take the results and see what needs changing. Would you rather they released a printed book containing OP options and not be able to correct it?
>>
>>54964803
>It's the early access release of tabletop
I think people here are too used to thinking of UA as "released content that's bad." It was never intended as such. It's playtest material, same as the old D&D Next packets. That's why so many DMs flat-out forbid it except by special permission.
It's less early-access, more crowdsourcing balance.
>>
>>54964821
Protection is by far the worst fighting style after like level 4, since monsters start getting multiattack and you can only use your reaction on one part of it a round.
>>
>>54964584
>smurfneblins
Deep gnomes always reminded me more of the dwarfs from Snow White than the Smurfs.
>>
>>54964837
I don't think people realize how fucking tiny the D&D branch of the company is.

Pro tip: MtG is the moneymaker, and it's where all the funding and personnel get sent.
>>
>>54964803
Satire isn't even bad. It might not be the equal of lore bard but it's not even the same role so not competing. Satire's one of the better UA subclasses.
>>
>>54964270
so vaguely skimming (mainly cause im sleep deprived to all hell)
i like the idea of the 7 sins believe it or not , not gonna tell you the whole idea is garbage and cringy
However maybe its cause im a cuck when it comes to stories and run sandbox games but it seems a bit over the top i and my players personally prefer something more low key
But thats all up to you and your players other then that seems like a lot of work you put into it just make sure your players are 100% cool with what you are doing try to give as much info without breaking boundaries into spoiling plot
>>
>>54964837
>Would you rather they released a printed book containing OP options and not be able to correct it?
They already did that, it's called the Player's Handbook.
>Spoilers, it's playtest. They send it to players, and the players test it.
They already paid people to do that. I guess I'm angry because this is supposed to be Dungeons and Dragons and WOTC doesn't really give enough of a damn about it to get the game fixed in-house. It feels like this is a crowdfunded game made by a major company that has the money to pay for fixing it in-house but doesn't.
>>54964841
>It's less early-access, more crowdsourcing balance.
Exactly this. I know this is supposed to be the new homebrew edition, but could they at least put in a little more thought to their work? Maybe I'm actually asking too much, given the jokes that it's 5th edition because 5 guys work on it and >>54964859.
>>54964862
I'm not mad because Tumble is bad, but because it's really good and almost better than the Rogue major feature Cunning Action. It's like if you decided to give Paladin a subclass with a modified Action Surge. I don't like the UA pattern of taking features from other classes and slightly modifying them so that Warlocks can totally smite now guys.
Ultimately, my gripes originate primarily from the fact that I think 5e deserves much better than what it got- features gutted and unbalanced stuff added in.
>>
File: Deep_gnome_5e.png (87KB, 270x347px) Image search: [Google]
Deep_gnome_5e.png
87KB, 270x347px
>>54964858
We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in the underdark all day
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is the Svirfneblin way
It ain't so clear why we do it
Ain't no one down here to buy this shit
In the Dark! (In the Dark!) In the Dark! (In the Dark!)
We're a million monsters' mark!

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig from nine o'clock till five
We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig until the drow arrive
Then we get slaughtered by the score
A thousand 'neblin, sometimes more
Then we go back out and dig some more
We dig dig dig a-dig dig

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho
It's home from work we go
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho!
>>
I'm trying to come up with an overarching plot/goal for North American Colonists returning to and exploring a Europe whose geography, several years ago, was instantaneously replaced with that of the Feywild (with the original inhabitants transformed into fantasy races and creatures). I have a lot of small encounters and subplots in mind, but I can't think of an overriding reason to draw the PCs deep into a land that is slowly changing them and whose nature is actively hostile to their humanity.

What would convince a group of coureurs des bois, indians and colonists to venture into what (to most of them) is basically their former home-turned feywild?
>>
Starting a fae-centric campaign and need some good resources for how the Sidhe of court might speak. I've got a good handle on pixies, dryads, satyrs, etc.

Behaviorally I'm good, but right now a lot of my improv dialogue revolves around a capricious Lewis Carroll-esque theme.
>>
>>54964962
>They already paid people to do that.
No? They didn't? You realize that they have like 10 people working on 5e right? There's no playtesting done by the devs before a UA release. That's why they have player surveys on their website for each UA, because the players are the playtesters.
>>
>>54964868
Well, I've not got a strict order for them to be fought in, they can take on any one they want at any time, and it may not be back to back, there'll be stories in between where they go off and do other shit - personal goals, getting gear, etc etc. I will definitely be checking with them to make sure it's all cool to run a sort of overarching thing in the game first tho.

Thanks for the feedback man!
>>
>>54964970

Land, money, or pussy.
>>
>>54964746
>People wake up at the touch of a blade
>Sleep: Unconscious until spell ends (1 minute) or they take damage
I get what you are trying to say though you dont want player just going enchantment wizard and spamming sleep on one creature until they fall asleep and then having the fighter kill them instantly
but seriously the only thing you are preventing with out of combat non insta kill is the rogue just being like "yeah i quickly walk up and kill the dude while he is defenseless"
And instead it turns into the party piling around him all readying attacks and slamming them down at the same time
lets assume average party thats +advantage +crit if within 5 feet for 3-5 people
dude is dead no matter what especially if he has no immune to sleep or isint monstrous enough to be explained that he cant just be insta killed
Seriously show me a regular old human dude without magical items or a big ass posse to back him up that is all alone and has over 100 hp
>>
>>54964991
Dresden Files third book focuses on fae. Reading up on Hags and such in Volo's will help a lot too.
>>
>>54965006
But in the opposite order, because land is only valuable inasmuch as it earns money, and money is only valuable inasmuch as you can use it to dazzle bitches and thereby get pussy.
>>
>>54964855
>>54964821
Plus if you're a Battlemaster and take Sentinel and Maneuvering Strike you can make a Sentinel attack on an attacking enemy and apply maneuvering strike if it hits and move your teammate out of the way before the initial attack on them resolves

Protection: disadvantage on an attack against your teammate
Sentinel+Maneuvering Strike: if you hit, enemy is GUARANTEED to miss teammate AND you get to deal some damage
>>
>>54964962
That's just what bards do, they were always half a rogue half a spellcaster (quarter druid quarter wizard) and like 1/5th fighter. That specific subclass is heavier on the rogue. Like a more-arcane arcane trickster.

I'd agree that the non-hybrid classes shouldn't be able to just suddenly jump into hybridness but shit like monks, druids, or rangers might get a pass. My personal gripe with UAs is that they seem very very front loaded. Super strong level 3 feature and then just sort of.... not a lot after. Satire's level 14 die-trading is barely even a benefit, an evil DM could make it a completely unusable thing.
>>
File: image001.jpg (11KB, 261x330px) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
11KB, 261x330px
>>54964970
To add a few more details, the PCs would hail from an alt-history, relatively low-magic, 17th-century North America where there'll be European Colonies, but also colonies/nations from elsewhere (obviously some norse kingdom for the scandiboos and possibly a chinese expy) to give them more options.

One day the trading ships from the old world abruptly stop arriving, with only a few empty vessels washing onto the American East Coast. The PCs will be an expedition to the new old world organized by the English colonies, in competition with some of the other nations and colonies in North America.

The PCs will start off all as humans, but starting from the ship journey, other members of the crew begin to start to gain aspects of fantasy races depending on the environment (i.e. for the first encounter, members of the crew that caught and ate a fish caught offshore will change into kuo-toa/sahuagin and attack the human crew). Eventually, but more slowly, the characters will start changing too.

>>54965006
Appreciate the response, but there probably isn't much gold in the feywild you could get elsewhere, and I imagine land isn't quite as valuable when everything grown there is actively trying to make you less human and more fey.
>>
>>54965007
Hey fucker how about you take the entire context of the sentence instead of ignoring the part about the sheer honed danger sense that the sleeping person cultivated that woke them up the moment the blade touched them and dealt damage.
I already said that there isn't /always/ a point in making the players roll for the attack against a defenseless creature, because you'd just be slowing the game down at that point. But sometimes you do, and you will. If there stands a reasonable chance for the creature to survive the crit and have an affect on the narrative beyond waking up and getting stabbed back to death anyway, then roll. But as I said earlier, don't assume it's a guaranteed autokill. If you want a regular old human dude without magical items though that has over a 100hp just pick up any CR5+ humanoid statblock though, they're not myths.
>>
File: What.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
What.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>54964997
Are you seriously telling me that those people they cited in-
>Playtesting provided by
>over 175,000 fans of D&D. Thank you!
Wait, what? Where are the playtesting credits for the PHB?
>No listed credits
I distinctly remember listed playtester credits in one of the books. My life is a lie.
>>
>>54965050
so assuming the answer behind this is something different from
>well trade from them wasent that important so we just rounded up some low-teir wannabes and shipped them out to hope they dont die on the way there
why not a bigger expedition? why not more people? why not enough supplies to set up a base? whats the purpose other then asking the question "yo what the fuck happened to the trade deal my dude"
I mean think about it in medieval Europe context if trade stops on a dime no letter is sent no grievances they might assume war, then a time goes by where they just have not been heard from so war is off the table, so they send a letter basically asking "uh so what happened to the spices" and no response from a place that had enough loot to send trade ships (plural on your end so i assume they were at least self sufficient) no military action? no high scale investigations on the land of its immigrants before hand? no forward base? just 3-5 doods and a boat?
Then again your setting might suffer from "ever lasting peace" *shudder* if so makes sense they might be more trusting
>>
>>54964997
To be clear: they don't have much in the way of playtesting (if any) before UA releases, but they do have upwards of 1600? NDAed playtesters that are functionally contractual volunteers, people in the industry or who know a guy who knows a guy, that help with "internal" playtesting before a product has a final release.
>>
>>54962421
Bracer of far hand - twice daily can conjure an ethereal hand. Could be used to force a weapon out of an enemy's hand disarming them or taunt a foe by slapping them or making a ranged unarmed attack. The hand functions like a mage hand but only exists for a moment and unlike mage hand has all the strength of the wielder. Maybe?
>>
>>54965117
>why not a bigger expedition?
I didn't make it sufficiently clear, but they are part of a bigger expedition with other crewmembers and more than one ship, they're just one of the parties in it, and they will run into expeditions from other countries sent for a similar purpose.
>why not enough supplies to set up a base?
That's actually what they're doing, they're on board the provisions ship, which is convenient because as it turns out it's eating the local food that makes you mentally become a fey and lose your memories. The commanding officer will probably play a role in forcing them further inland as they become less human, as he's of the Humanity Fuck Yeah variety and probably won't take well to any of the crew becoming less human.

But to sum up the answer, they are part of a larger party sent to investigate what happened and see if they can locate anything/anyone of value to the 13 colonies, and they will be coming into conflict with foreign parties with the same goal.
>>
>>54965060
agian are we talking about in combat or out of combat, in combat? yes i 100% agree with literally everything you are saying
out of it? nope players dont need to roll to slit a dudes neck if they have full minute to line it up even if the target is highly attuned to danger, or they can just line up around the dude and 3-5 of them can advantage attack and crit the dude so he will most likely die instantly
Agian in many situations non human or heavily armored humans are immune from out of combat death by neck slit
>>
>>54965013
Yeah Volvo's guide, the Tome of Beasts, the 4e source books and good ol' Yeats have all been great for understanding fae personalities, characteristics and society. It's the doing justice to they way they speak that's getting me.
I've read Summer Knight, but I'll go back and peruse number 3 as well, cheers.
>>
>>54965187
>>54965187
Then congrats for thinking ahead
Assuming the immigrants from the old land did known nothing of what was going on (assuming their are even immigrants) then they should be going in realitivly blind
other then possible information from scouting parties
But yeah you got it
One small thing to mention make sure you know your players with this kind of story if this a bunch of new guys or not guys who dont enjoy being put into a role before character creation and then making into that (personally im a fan of it) then they might take the ship and run
However if you are dealing with no man children i suggest thinking about what the nobles back home are thinking about for this mission the ones who are funding it
Do they assume that they are sending a base to recon? with good intentions? or do they think "well if they are weak to weak to send a trade ship then its time to take the place for our selves"
then the ship they brung might vary well be the supplies they are using to build it
Because if you are recon group you need a way out if something bad happens
But if you are a military installation and you are riding a ship with no cannons you might as well scrap it for extra building materials (assuming the majority of the place is not open water exploration and how cheap the nobles are)
also did you by chance rip inspiration from koibu's frozen frontier?
>>
>>54965290
Wouldn't hurt to read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell if you're planning on extensive Fae shenanigans.
>>
>>54965344
or watch the show that shit was great having not read the books if they are somehow better id be fucking surprised
>>
What is your opinion on having NPC's with magic items

I don't mean shit like "I have a DMPC that's gonna follow the party and have all these magic items and be so cool!" Or (hopefully) someone they're going to fight.

But for example, the PC's are going to meet an archmage, an elf who has lived for around 600 years, done a lot of traveling and has spent most of his life practicing magic. It makes sense for him to have some magic things in his possession doesn't it?
>>
File: 1461136800522.jpg (104KB, 1080x580px) Image search: [Google]
1461136800522.jpg
104KB, 1080x580px
>>54965299
>One small thing to mention make sure you know your players with this kind of story if this a bunch of new guys or not guys who dont enjoy being put into a role before character creation and then making into that (personally im a fan of it) then they might take the ship and run
They're relatively experienced players, but I'll just give them the broad setting and let them make their characters as long as they meet the starting conditions. They'll be outnumbered and outranked on the ship since they're just one of several scouting parties hired, so I doubt they'd try to commandeer the ship.
>However if you are dealing with no man children i suggest thinking about what the nobles back home are thinking about for this mission the ones who are funding it
I didn't think about this, I could see them joining through a contract with another group, maybe the East India or Virginia Companies, which might have their own goals.
>Because if you are recon group you need a way out if something bad happens
I imagine they could still leave on the provisions ship, but i don't know whether or not a second, more military wave of colonists will be returning.

Appreciate the help.

>also did you by chance rip inspiration from koibu's frozen frontier?
I haven't read it, unfortunately, I based it partially on Turtledove's After the Downfall and my own enjoyment of the Age of Exploration.
>>
>>54965376
It makes sense, but make sure it's not something the PCs are willing to fight the npc over
>>
>>54965376
Nothing wrong with that, but know that the party rogue WILL try to run off with them and prepare accordingly.
>>
>>54965376
In addition, this character should hopefully never participate in combat at all

>>54965389
Judging by the party, they aren't the types to go full murderhobo, even giving magic items they should've earned (shatterspike from sunless citadel) back to it's proper owner (I gave them the option to save Braford and Sharwyn)
>>
>>54965376
npc's with magical items are very reasonably with a arch mage though they would in no way be spreading magical items out in his common room they would be under magical lock and key a master theif would have a trouble getting to them (me and you both know the players will want to steal some easy to get magical items off the top)
but other then that i usually give like 1/100 commoners some trinket with very light magical properties
like "Whispers but only when not in light but its gibberish in every language"-Wannabe secret finder
"Glows lightly when sitting still"-Night light
"Book that can only be opened by the persons who name is written on the first page (if the last persons name who's on the front dies it is unlockable)"- Very nice diary
so yeah its not unreasonable (in fact its expected) for a 600 year old arch-magi to be keeping something in his basement
>>
What are some character builds you've made that were suboptimal but you put together because you thought the character would be fun to play?

I made a half-orc cleric and it was a damn blast.
>>
>>54965383
>read it
Thats surprising that you would think its a book though i do suppose it sounds very much like a book name
its a d&d show if you want to see it (i suggest it nice role play chill atmosphere fun times sadly they kinda just started it like 2 months ago) just type in Koibu Frozen frontier and it should pop up on YouTube
>>
>>54965455
I played a Fighter with no stat below 14 and multiple 16s.
I mean, I could have made him a Paladin, but he was fun to play. So fun to play that he became a major setting figure and one of my friends plays his daughter.
>>
>>54965369
I've read the book and watched the show.
The book is definitely not for everyone, but for those who can get into their slow pacing and focus on character interaction, they are phenomenal. They do a much better job of characterizing the protagonists, the antagonist(s?), and everyone in-between. The plot is certainly enhanced by additional details. The hundreds of footnotes are a delight. And Lascelles' ultimate fate is a lot more... fae-appropriate, shall we say.
Again, though, not for everyone. The plot moves slowly and not everything that happens is relevant to it. But I'd strongly urge anyone who's into fantasy books in general and fae in particular to give it a try.
And if you don't get into it, well, the show IS excellent.
>>
Can you freeze holy water to have holy ice? Can you bless ice directly for this? Same questions for steam.
>>
>>54965534
No, it becomes holy minerals.
>>
>>54965492
Yeah not to derail the thread and gush over Johnathan strange and Mr Norrel
But its the only piece of media that has given me a clue as to how to play fae (which is just make them so fucking obsessed over one thing to the point they will kidnap kids and raise them in the art of that thing and then set them free on the world) While 5e kinda just leave you hanging
so i suggest paying close attention to the dancing dude if anybody decides to watch it for fae advice
>>
>>54965543
You fool, don't summon him!
>>
>>54965544
Please post more, it could give us inspiration.
>>
>>54965543
see is there really a difference between blessed water and blessed ice that is about the same size as a bottle of holy water?
Because i agree that could get out of hand if you moved to a cold part of the world and just made holy water (with ceremony) and made holy ice and made a igloo that no fiend or undead could get close to instead of just fucking hollowing the area
just seems like the low level ice mans way of hollowing honestly otherwise the ice would melt and it would just be water again
(but what is to stop a man just water logging the front half the entrance to his underground church at like ankle height)
>>
>>54965544
>>54965551
But careful with spoilers, some people might want to read the book.
>>
>>54965551
See if i post more its a battle of spoiling a really nice only like 10 episode show on netflix that i seriously want other people to watch
but if you cant afford netflix there are versions available online im sure of it
if you cant spare the time i feel sorry for you friendo :(
>>54965590
trust me i wont spoil anything i would rather somebody find it for them selves and attempt to watch it, its such a great show
>>
Could someone(s), with sufficient supplies and time, bless the entire Elemental Plane of Water into holy water?
>>
>>54965647
The elemental planes are infinite, so no.
>>
>>54965647
Yeah, just gotta find the source.

>>54965657
it's funny how the planes are infinite, but also touch each other physically.
>>
>>54965647
So somthing i have always wondered maybe some 3.5 lore fags can educate me, Do the gods actually give a shit about elementals? infact do the gods even give a shit about balance? (at least elementaly)
Because if a god of water gained enough followers id assume the plane of water assuming its allowed to fall under the domain of that god is technically blessed unless of course >>54965657 is right which would make no sense they all have maps like actual fucking maps pretaning to them i feel like that instantly destroys it infact one of the only way to planar travel on foot is to travel through and across the plane whether it be mountain climbing to the extreme in the plane of earth or flying in the plane of air
i feel like there has to be a end right? like at the end the plane of earth is so fucking incredibly high that unless you are crazily superhuman like Goliath++ pack level superhuman resistant to cold you are not gonna make it to the top
>>
File: 1392389989136.png (252KB, 717x533px) Image search: [Google]
1392389989136.png
252KB, 717x533px
Alright what you guys think of this racial ability? I posted it a few days ago but didn't really get a straight answer...

Unnamed Ability: This race can choose to use their Dexterity score in place of the Strength score when determining jumping distance.

People said the thief gets this power, but that power only gives them extra added feet to a long jump equal to their Dex mod.
>>
>>54965771
its not a bad idea for the tabaxi to have a bit more spring in their step
but i forget does movement speed also help with high jumps? just like straight up jumps in the attempt to reach a area above you cause i dont remember
if yes its unneeded cause they already have a movement speed bonus ability that fills that place
if no then go for it
unless you plan to use it for another race i cant gauge the effectiveness but it seems like its pretty low power and can be tacked on easily i mean ive been playing 5e since half a year after release and not once had to use jump rules
>>
>>54965827
Jumping uses movement just like regular movement does. Basically, if you only have 30 feet of movement, you'll never be able to jump farther/higher than 30 feet no many how many spells and shit you stack to increase your jump. So higher movement doesn't really affect your jump unless you can get your jump up to your movement in the first place.
>>
>>54965404
>>54965404
Can I have your party? I wish my party was so benevolent...and actually good. I just have murderhobos
>>
>>54966127
not the guy
But i have to say i have never encountered murder hobos but i have only played for around 3 years its still so strange of a concept to me
infact i was the only murder hobo in my group of players and i grew out of it after character one it just seems really weird to show up to a pen and paper rpg write down stats that have things attached to them like "religion" and "arcana" and somehow turn the game into killing all the npc's you put work into its strange
>>
>>54965019

Focus to the left side and the right takes care of itself.
>>
How well can Silver Dragons check for art forgery?
>>
>>54966156
I just have a few party members that think the game is more skyrim than an actual fantasy world. Killing people and just plundering everything. I'm not saying that is wrong but it can quickly get overboard and frustration when the majority of the party is CN and do whatever. It is not all bad though just bugs me at times. Sorry for the rant.
>>
>>54966203
Considering the fact that they are probably walking scales of treasure hoarding and can sniff you and remember if they ever met your ancestors I would say very very well.
>>
>>54966203
Investigation or History check, advantage if they've seen the piece in person before.
>>
>>54966203
Adults have had centuries to pore over works of art, whether they be works that he/she owns or that he/she has seen as a traveler.

That said, forgery in itself takes skill, especially when it comes to imitating a style, compensating for techniques and materials that are no longer available. I imagine that a Silver Dragon could respect a masterfully done forgery as a work of art in itself, though it may or may not forgive the forger for trying to pass it off as the real deal.
>>
I want to read the drizzt novels to get a better background of forgotten realms where should I start?
Also are the spell plague books good?
>>
>>54966431
From Homeland, bro. The earlier books are pretty good.
Also give the Artemis Entreri novels.
>>
I have created an abomination of a villain: A half-drow (the other half being elf as well), tiefling who uses a whip and a short sword. So far I've been using the Gladiator template, but I think this edgy fucker could use some extra spice.

Any ideas? This isn't a major player or anything, he's just a brute for them to fight.
>>
>>54965108
>I distinctly remember listed playtester credits in one of the books.
SCAG
>>
>>54965664
>it's funny how the planes are infinite, but also touch each other physically.
Not really... imagine them like pizza slices, but instead of ending at some sort of crust they just keep going.
>>
>>54966744
That... Might be the single greatest explanation for the planes that I have ever heard.
>>
>>54966634
Jetpack and a codpiece that functions as a wand of fireball .
>>
New to D&D, I made a minotaur/halfling named Bogopop the Diddler and he was a Druid. His only flaws were that he liked to run around naked in tall grass because it tickles his balls and he was the loud drunk one in the group. One campaign he killed a goblin by ripping out his own tooth and threw it into the goblins open mouth causing him to choke and die on it. He died by getting attacked by a minotaur that he was trying to molest while it was sleeping and he fell down a long flight of spiral stairs but got revived from our groups wizard.
Our DM wanted me to stop playing him because I kept making him laugh at everything I made Bogopop do and it slowed down the story too much.
>>
>>54966868
>Revived by a wizard
???
>>
>>54966874
Wait I think it was a Cleric. I forgot which one can do resurrection spells, it's been a while.
>>
>>54966744
Nigga you just blew my mind
>>
Sorcerer spell list suck. How is Paladin 2/ Wizard X?

I don't see much synergy but it's still a wizard, so it should be pretty strong right?
>>
>>54964182
>>54964270
>What do you guys think?

You've done the same thing almost everyone does when they write characters based on the seven deadly sins. You've made every villain bad because they have been corrupted by the sins themselves... except Lust, who is a sexy woman and uses that sexiness to exploit other people's lust. Lust isn't lusty, she isn't consumed by her own sex drive to her own detriment. She's not a villain in the same way as the others, she's an excuse to have a sexy woman as a villain.

Either make, say, Greed into a villain who challenges the players' morals by bribing them or make Lust into a terrifying rape monster. They can be seducers, or corrupted, or they can be both at the same time, but don't switch themes mid-list.

This reminds me of Overlord 1, the only game I can think of which really focused on the them of corrupting sin and designed Lust in accordance with that. All the villains are corrupted heroes. Lust isn't sexy, he's a previously-chaste Paladin-alike who decided he was entitled to debauchery after saving the world.

Also in Overlord 1, the game challenges the player with each of these sins. The halfling thief has become a bloated tyrant, eating everything in sight and leaving none for the notShire. When you beat him, you choose whether or not you'll keep all the food for yourself to feed your army. Gluttony is bad, here's someone who is bad because of Gluttony, and here's a legitimately tempting reason for the player to succumb to Gluttony. It's a well written game.
>>
>>54967163
Well the concept was, they'd have been evil or morally corrupt from before the demons, but the bindings have caused them to stray towards their tropey themes after months/years of being affected by said demons.

I'd prefer to keep rape well away from things, but I appreciate the thought. Bribery is definitely something that should be considered, as I know at least one of the characters would be swayed by enough gold and such.

Sounds like a neat game, I may go have a look at it. Thanks!
>>
File: Roll to assist.jpg (108KB, 375x750px) Image search: [Google]
Roll to assist.jpg
108KB, 375x750px
I played 4E for years before picking up 5E, and while I think the combat in 4E was way more tactical, I like how quick it goes by now. I wish enemies had more options though, as it is I'm having to give them extra weapons or something to keep fights from just being slugfests
>>
Any suggestions on this?

Barbarian - Brute: with an attack the barbarian can also chose to shove, prone* or grapple (1 max)

Fighter - counter attack: one* attack action against attacker.

Monk - zone*: within the monk melee striking range (martial art striking range leason)

Paladin - retribution*: receive half damage rounded down, return damage receive rounded up against attacker

Ranger* - precise strike: ranger always hit his mark within inner range, deal half damage rounded up if attack roll is lower than target ac.

Rogue - exploit*: backstabbing rework

Prone*: recommend for adventage attack with melee for critical, broken?
One*: same as extra attack or no?
Retribution*: might give it to monk instead
Ranger*: a ranger never miss. Nothing gain, but steady damage.
Zone*: can't think of a fluff for it
Exploit*: meh
>>
>>54967458
Well you managed to make Ranger even more absurdly deadly. I'm fairly certain Fighters already get a counter-attack if they take Battle Master.

I think I'm missing information on some of these
>>
>>54967458
What the fuck is any of this to begin with?
>>
>>54967491
>>54967486
Add on homebrew for martial class.
>>
>>54967508
>>54967458
Okay, but some of them are just plain not explained. Like what does the Rogue's Backstabbing Rework do? Are you saying you plan to rework it, but aren't sure how? That's as valuable as saying nothing. You could say you're going to rewrite the entire system, and it would be as valuable as saying nothing at all until you actually make your proposals
>>
do we hate DND beyond?
>>
>>54967458
Why specific "attack action" for counter attack? You can't extra attack out of your turn anyway.
>>
>>54967530
I am not sure what to add to rogue to be honest. My first idea was something along the line of poking a dagger though armor gap or leaving gaping wound.
>>
What's the perfect party composition?
>>
>>54967615
All Cleric
>>
>>54967615
Paladin - obligatory, need dem + saves or you will inevitably fail more saves than you pass
Sorcerer/Warlock - insane damage and frequency of casting
Then 3 full casters with spells that handle all the basics that can also fight if need be like an arcana cleric, moon druid and lore bard.
>>
File: 1454389535154.gif (109KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1454389535154.gif
109KB, 200x200px
>>54967586
>we
>>
>>54967615
Pure martial class seeking legend and myth with guidance of wise wizard.
>>54967592
It my first time making this and wanted it to be clear that multiple attack do not stack.
>>
>>54967615
One Fighter
One Talking Axe
Three Days to Waterdeep
No Limits
>>
>>54967608
It didn't occur to you to just not change them at all? I'm just trying to understand why you'd bring it up if you had no ideas in the first place.

All that aside, with the exception of just giving martial classes more attacks, most people aren't fans of adding too much additional baggage. At some point you hit anime territory, when the Rogue can stab you ten times with advantage and the Fighter can attack at the start of combat as a free action.

The only suggestion you have that sounds fine is Barbarian having a little more control over the battlefield, because right now they're just sort of Fighters with extra steps
>>
>>54967644
Why is Paladin so good
>>
>>54964345
Doesn't the wand still say you cast magic missile?
>>
>>54967742
Because it's fun to play Team Mom
>>
Hey guys, we're starting a campaign today at level two, i made a V.Human bard 1/warlock 1 and I'm thinking of taking magic initiate. What spells and cantrips should i grab? I'm gonna be the party's face, but i also want to have some utility and combat capabilities
>>
File: Become_8d8cca_6327126.jpg (49KB, 640x615px) Image search: [Google]
Become_8d8cca_6327126.jpg
49KB, 640x615px
>>54967458
Just fucking stop

If you want to buff martials, give them half of a weapon feat of their choice for free for every weapon (but they need the full feat if they want full effects).
This takes away the feat tax and powers up non-feated martials. Feated martials are already on par with casters, easily.
>>
File: themark_by_algido-d9foset.jpg (152KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
themark_by_algido-d9foset.jpg
152KB, 1024x576px
Tell me how you Necromancer /5eg/
>>
>>54967615
Paladin is ALWAYS a must. This is the party's fighting core, supporting the entire party and being great at combat.
Then, wizard and bard. These two are the party's main utilitymen, though they can contribute to combat somewhat. Bard handles skills mostly, wizard handles rituals and magical utility mostly.
Then a druid. The moon druid is the versatile party member. They can be a tank, they can do utility, they can do a bit of this and that. Some of their utility not even the bard or wizard get by standard - pass without trace, for example.

That's four party members.
If you need any more party members, I'd suggest a fighter sorlock. If they isn't allowed, I'd recommend a Cleric to further broaden your utility horizons. If your DM is making long rests harder to get, instead consider getting a crossbow expert + sharpshooter fighter or an extra oathbreaker paladin for raw damage.

'All fighter-sorlock' is great in campaigns with a lot less utility and plenty of room to push enemies around, though.
>>
File: sabriel.png (352KB, 545x700px) Image search: [Google]
sabriel.png
352KB, 545x700px
>>54967953
Angsty dinks with too much eyeliner can fuck off. Proper necromancers only wear the correct amount of eyeliner.
>>
>>54967953
Go wizard
Go necromancer
Dig up graves and spend all your spell slots making a zombie/skeleton army
Get kicked from the group for being OP and complicating things unnecessarily / have the party kill you because some faggot god demands it / because they're a murderhobo lawful good.
>>
>>54967953
While I am fundamentally opposed to the idea of allowing a player to roll a Necromancer because I think D&D is at it's game about playing heroes, and heroes don't command the dead because it's not very nice, I would be welcome to the proposal.

The problem is that adding minions for the players to control is asking to slow down combat by huge chunks of time
>>
When will someone upload the new AL adventure?
>>
>>54968002
You have the power, Anon
>>
>>54968010
Currently I don't until I get the copy.
>>
>>54968000
>D&D is a game about playing heroes

Not if you're in the Underdark, in a full CN party of 'special' races.

My plan is to make a morally grey Wizard that is primarily about studying anatomy to understand how organs work. Hangs around with an adventuring group due to easy access to beasts/corpses to dissect.

Eventually slipping into reanimating them as the next logical step in medical science.

>>54967985
>because they're a murderhobo lawful good.
>Necro in a LG party

You fucked up anon.
>>
>>54967975
>Thf DMing a party of two consisting of a rogue and a ranger
Just kill me now senpai
>>
>>54967944
But I don't care if a caster can cast. I just want even more distinct martial.
>>
Has anyone tried putting together a full warfare mechanic?

I don't mean like a battle, but more like Risk - where big battles for areas take a few seconds to determine victory so characters can control a war?
>>
>>54967975
>Fighter-sorlock
What's the breakdown on that?
>>
>>54963496
Mystics are fucking ridiculously powerful as it is if not played retardedly, they don't need more power.

I let a guy in my group take a nerfed form of Mystic and the other players are still complaining he's too powerful, I'm gonna have to nerf him again.
>>
>>54964506
Keep calm, assume anything you plan will work out entirely differently, just be prepared to roll with the punches.

If you see an opportunity to make something cool, that's more important than what you had in mind.
>>
>>54968038
Feats can help make martials more distinct considering each martial has their own favoured weapons.

>>54968092
Fighter2/warlock2/sorcerer16

Fighter first for 10 starting HP and heavy armour proficiency that you wouldn't get if you started on the others.
Fighter provides heavy armour, shields, action surge, defense fighting style (or close quarters shooting UA fighting style for +1 to hit and no disadvantage firing EBs within 5ft)
Warlock provides agonizing blast + repelling blast.
Sorcerer provides quickened blasts.

Warlock can also try for getting devil's sight (an entire team of warlocks with devil's sight only needs one instance of darkness to wreck shit) or fey's slow ability (along with repelling blast keeps enemies away from the firing line)

It's basically musket firing line tactics except the muskets are more accurate and push you back as you try to advance.
>>
I'm gonna be making a Kensei monk, should I go for a longsword fluffed as an arm-mounted claw, or VHuman with a warhammer and Fell-Handed?
>>
>>54968157
>Fighter2/warlock2/sorcerer16
If I were playing that, I'd want to go with Hexblade, Stone Sorcerer, and not focus on the Eldritch Blast. Play on the classic theme of "total nobody who found an OP magic sword".

But then, I went from level 1 to 12 as a standard blasty warlock, so I might be looking for something unusual.
>>
>>54968157
Damn, sounds badass
>>
File: 1475272725695.png (557KB, 560x568px) Image search: [Google]
1475272725695.png
557KB, 560x568px
>>54961897
Railroaded by the DM to get on that fucking wagon with those 3 strangers and drive to some other village
Especially retarded since my character's backstory included living in that village for his entire life
>>
>>54967852
I decided to go with half elf instead and took Blade ward, GFB, EB and Vicious mockery for cantrips. For first level spells i took detect magic, disguise self, healing word, hex, hellish rebuke and identify. Am i good to go
>>
>>54961897
Had literally wind blow recruitment poster into his face after another heartbreak. Concluded there was no happiness for him to be found in his small hometown and hit the road as a mercenary, while completing his Bardic College degree.
Scholarly family really concerned for his well being.
>>
>>54968212
>my character's backstory included living in that village for his entire life
>Especially retarded

Agreed. You were playing DnD. You didn't make an adventurer. You fucked up.

Your GM had exactly two options for your curmudgeonly-ass character, "oh no the village burned down" and "get in the car, bitch". Were you hoping for the Luke Skywalker option?
>>
>>54968245
I'm trying to play him as a spy and information broker, so i took spells i thought might help with all that
>>
>>54968249
No, I was hoping for the DM to actually read my backstory for once, since him living in the village that was the destination of the escaping cart could've saved a lot of pointless shit from happening.
>>
>>54967953
By giving the minions to other players, and putting their stats on index cards to pass around easily. Nobody likes the EDH dickwad who masturbates their deck for infinite turns, and it's worse in a co-operative game.
>>
>>54967975
> Not being a Bard Paladin and be all-on-one character
>>
>>54968277
Did you tell him that, or did you just wait for him to make your PC the focus of the game?
>>
>>54965543
The charm becomes suspended as long as the water is in its petrified form, same as any other holy feature on a player would if they were to say, fall to a Medusa stare
>>
File: 1450388859222.jpg (11KB, 509x216px) Image search: [Google]
1450388859222.jpg
11KB, 509x216px
>>54968412
I'll just story it because it's quicker
>hey DM I heard you're making Wolfbeak the center of this adventure, how about my character living there as party's local helper or something?
>DM agrees, I send in one of generic backstories I have prepared, adapted for this location the next day, DM okays it
>3 weeks pass because other players are slow as fuck when it comes to making characters
>session starts in some other village currently under raid by orcs
>get in the cart loser happens
>we arrive in the village, DM gois on about how we're in this village, we know nobody, what do etc.
>I say that my character is from here, so it won't be a problem figuring shit out
>DM looks at me confused
>"what do you mean anon"
>tell him it's in my backstory he okayed, and agreed to the whole idea of a "friendly" local helping people, for a price of course
>"oh I forgot, change the village to the previous one that was destroyed by orcs just now"
>he didn't even name that village
>>
>>54965534
>not wielding a maul with a head made of frozen holy water
>not bringing the cold wrath of your god down on the blighters' heads
>>
File: 1499281264324.png (368KB, 902x662px) Image search: [Google]
1499281264324.png
368KB, 902x662px
>>54964549
>Editions older than 3e didn't even pretend they were.

wipe this meme from the face of the earth
>>
Level 10 moon druid prepping to fight the lich in Dead in Thay, what spells do I prep and what forms do I use?
>>
What race and stats spread would you use for Tempest Cleric 2 / Evoker X?
>>
>>54968937
0/0/0/0/0/0
>Wizard with cleric dip multiclass
Maximum cancer
Literally kill yourself
>>
>>54968937
>>54968972
Alternatively embrace the cancer, get the lucky feat and play a kender.
>>
>>54967953
A spiritualist who helps ferry restless souls to the beyond, communes with spirits who willingly stay behind for peaceful ends, commands undead in order to better pacify them or turn their bodies against their masters before releasing them to their final destinations, and who's more run of the mill spells are inferred to be a side effect of his practice that he's managed to make useful.
>>
Phantasmal Force is weird. It's really DM dependent. Is there a universal ruling on this spell?
Can I use it to restrict someone in place?
>>
>>54968972
>>54968981
> complaining about Wizard / Cleric in a place where people praise Warlock/Paladin Warlock/Sorcerer and Paladin/Sorcerer
>>
>>54969046
You can use it to make them think they're trapped, but then when they move in a way that pushed them out of it, they'll come up with some reason in their head why it worked. Think about the bridge example.

Now let's say you used it to suggest the target is trapped in a 10'x10'x10' box. They slam on the wall and scream to let them out, but stumble through when they put all their weight onto a wall that doesn't exist. Their mind will likely conjure that the box exists, but has a weak board or a hidden doorway they accidentally stumbled across.
>>
>>54969075
What's the problem with any of those? They're pretty easy concepts to make fluff sense from and are mechanically fun.
>>
>>54969095
The illusion is in their head and it follow them if it's still within range. This was confirmed by JC.
>>
>>54969075
Nobody praises warlock/sorcerer. That's cancer, too. It's not broken, but it's stupid and the 'blast to the moon' shit is a meme, especially since it works on creatures of any size - you can literally blast a planet-sized creature into the sun.

Warlock/paladin and paladin/sorcerer are both suitably balanced, however.

Wizard/cleric is cancer because with a single level of cleric you go from 10+dex AC (13+dex with a spell slot) to 20 AC, the impact to your spells is only with 'spells known' and even then you get some pretty neat cleric spells and you still get a level 1 cleric featuree after all of that. Also +2 HP if you start cleric.
>>
What you guys think of the default abilities 15/14/13/12/10/8? Playable enough?
>>
>>54969133
>While a target is affected by the spell, the target treats the phantasm as if it were real. The target rationalizes any illogical outcomes from interacting with the phantasm. For example, a target attempting to walk across a phantasmal bridge that spans a chasm falls once it steps onto the bridge. If the target survives the fall, it still believes that the bridge exists and comes up with some other explanation for its fall - it was pushed, it slipped, or a strong wind might have knocked it off.
This is what I'm talking about.

>The illusion is in their head and it follow them if it's still within range.
I could see that if you conjured the image of a creature, sure.

>This was confirmed by JC.
Literally who, and why should I give a fuck?
>>
>>54969147
Sorcerer go from 13+dex AC to 20 AC too and you have no problem with that. You are definately bias.
>>
>>54969155
Easy to work with, yes.
>>
>>54969173
The guy who wrote the book. He know about rule more than some rulelawyer wannabe on the internet forum.
>>
>Literally who, and why should I give a fuck?
JC is the one who wrote the rules. What he says and nobody else's word is the true rules-as-intended for the game.
>>
>>54969155
Yes. It's actually one of the best spread anyway.
>>
>>54969189
>>54969194
Who cares, I'm the GM at my table.

If I think it makes sense that the player's conjured illusion in the spell would move with the target (such as the illusion of being wrapped in chains, for example) than it will. If I think it wouldn't make sense for the object to move with the target (for example, if the subject was locked in a heavy iron cage) then it won't. If you wanna tweet a writer for every part of the game where the GM needs to make a ruling go play with him instead.
>>
How can I play as a charisma based fighter?
>>
>>54969284
>Who cares, I'm the GM at my table.
Anybody who wants an objective ruling.

If you don't want an objective ruling, don't come here. Just say 'I'll do whatever because I'm the GM, I don't need /5eg/ to tell me what's right and wrong'.
And that's okay, but generally the rules are they're intended are more balanced than 'whatever I feel like' and it might annoy more experienced players. With new players and especially new DMs people will get the rules wrong constantly and that's fine. 'I'm the DM, the rules are what I say they are' is mostly just annoying to experienced players if you pull rules out of your ass rather than stating houserules beforehand.

Also, generally when consulting 'rules as intended' you don't do it mid-game. There's a slight 'Hey how does this work?' 'It works like this.' and then someone checks it up online after the game and then they play the rules properly thereafter.
>>
>>54969311
3 level dip of warlock or 6 level dip of bard for charisma shillelagh
You'll probably suck, but eh.

You can also go eldritch knight + warlock for a 'I cast eldritch blast then use my bonus action to attack'
>>
>>54969311
Take a single level in Hexblade so you can CHA a 1h weapon. Not sure what you do from there. I find Eldritch Knight a bit disappointing in terms of actual impact of those few spells it gets, but many of the Battlemaster manoeuvres are based on STR or DEX. Maybe you can avoid those? At most two levels in Warlock, or you're not really a Fighter as much as a Warlock with some Fighter in it.

You can give any fighter a high CHA, but if you want to be CHA-based, you're looking at a Warlock to provide at least some of the heavy lifting.
>>
Okay so one of my PCs is playing a wizard who resents the father that essentially neglected him and left him with his wizard friends while he went out and did his own research. I'm trying to think of what his father would be researching and why that would make him well known and also why it absorbed all his time. I want it to be interesting but I'm running blanks on what it could be.
I'm asking for suggestions basically.
>>
>>54969311
What does that mean? Do you just want high charisma?
>>
>>54969354

So there are actually plenty of manoeuvres that don't have a saving throw or otherwise reference your strength or dexterity, allowing you to really focus on that Charisma. (you will need a Str or Dex of 13 as well as a Cha of 13 to multiclass Fighter and Warlock). I recommend Commander's Strike and Rally, since they seem the most in theme for a Charisma fighter.
>>
>>54969311
devotion pally?
>>
>Demilich
>literally just a skull with no arms or legs and a flying speed
>20 dex
?????
>>
>>54969284
I am so triggered by this. Why do you even use the book to begin with, you fucker?

And if you are the one who asked original question, fuck you especially hard. You asked on anonymous forum about something - but now dismiss answer from guy most suited for answering it. I hate you so much, Anon!

I hope you stub your toe on furniture today!
>>
>>54969566
He probably have disadvantage on check requiring precise manipulation with things.
>>
>>54969566
It's a small, agile flying object.
>>
>>54965827
this is not for the tabaxi
>>
Should I aim for War Caster ASAP as melee Tempest Cleric? What about booming blade? Should I dip or spend ASI for that?
>>
File: edgreenwoodadmiresminis-197x300.jpg (21KB, 197x300px) Image search: [Google]
edgreenwoodadmiresminis-197x300.jpg
21KB, 197x300px
What would be the best book to use as a sourcebook for the Forgotten Realms setting for 5e?
>>
>>54969911
Theres stuff like the complete history of the realms, but I'm pretty sure all forgotten realms sourcebooks are relevent to some degree
>>
>>54969911
Define "sourcebook." Do you want splat or fluff?

>>54969612
Or not be able to manipulate things at all, having no hands.
>>
>>54969873
If you spend an ASI to get it, then how will you shilleleagh?
>>
>>54969566
Imagine how much faster you could fly when you're not dragging a whole body and all that skin shit around?
>>
>>54969961
Shilleleagh was a mistake.
>>
>>54969961
Why would I use Shillelagh when I need STR to wear heavy armor anyway?
>>
>>54969976
Y'all are living in 732 while this guy here is living in 1732
>>
>>54970009
Not him, but i agree so much.
>>
>>54965036
Sentinel attacks after the creature attacks though.
>>
>>54969946

Fuck you, guy.
>>
>>54970067
Same here. It's not that it's too good, it's too specific. You have to use Druid magic and a quarterstaff if you want a basic melee attack that keys off your casting.

I feel the same way about Booming Blade. We could do with more redundant options, or more generic options, so you can express your character concept without these inflexible crunch-necessitated details.
>>
>>54970110
I'm not sure what I did to deserve that
>>
>>54965187
I hope it's possible to purify food, for example, by cooking it in an iron pan over an honest fire.
>>
>>54970131
Probably acererak, what you said was pretty offensive to his kind
>>
Would it be stupid to ban variant human but give everyone a feast at level 1
>>
>>54970320
It'd be very nice of you, but it might be better to order a pizza.
>>
>>54970320
Well their characters would be well fed at the very least.
>>
>>54970320
>Banning variant humans from the feast
Seems a bit racist m8
>>
>about to start my first ever campaign
>nervous
Any advice?? Never DM'd before and all these rules are scary!!
>>
>>54970320
Keep variant human but disallow feats like GWM, CBE, etc., from being selected with that free feat
>>
>>54966634
Fuck it all and turn him into Super Zur. Slap him in some bright superhero spandex (glamoured armor; spell resist? Invulnerability?) with a codpiece of mass destruction on a cooldown, shiny displacement cloak, and boots of speed.

https://youtu.be/Xg1WCryoPdY

If you don't know Zur, he basically plays the role of clown for Guardian Heroes, like Kefka.
>>54966844
Basically this but more ridiculous.
>>
>>54970320
What about giving everyone an extra feat?
Humans get two feats, but no longer get to be the only Sharpshooters at levels 1-3.
>>
>>54970478
Now they're CBE Sharpshooters at lv1
>>
>>54970159
I'm working on it. I don't know how i want to go about it, though. I want to make it hard for humans to keep their humanity in the new old world, but I don't want to make it impossible.
>>
>>54970478
Feats are the path to ruin. I think feats should add a new mechanic or not exist. Feats shouldn't buff shit, thats for the rest of the game design.
>>
>>54970504
OK?

I mean, what's the problem with Humans, then? They're a good, versatile choice. They should be the baseline, rather than nerfed to conform to some other nebulous standard for how good races are.
>>
>>54970614
So you think feats shouldn't include options that characters are likely to use in every situation? I can understand that for at least some of GWM and Sharpshooter, but it misses the way that feats let you customize your character. The whole of "the rest of the game design" can't make your Wizard better at Constitution saves, that's exclusively the Resilient feat unless you count the minor improvement from just boosting your CON directly.
>>
>>54970320
silly, you don't ban humans. you create a setting without them.
>>
>>54970410
When not sure, shout and roll dice!

Don't prepare rigid structure, but prepare pieces you can easily assemble on the spot. Few random encounters. List of names you can use for unprepared NPCs.
>>
>>54970633
they should be the baseline but the variant human is the strongest instead in most cases. Get rid of variant human and everyone takes a feat at level 1? Well you'll still need to get rid of SS/GWM/PAM

>>54970669
Look at feats like Ritual Caster, it lets people cast from books. It's not their normal mechanic but they can do this thing now. Armor feats? Well that gets you an armor you didn't have. New shit to your class.

Skill feats? Not really good enough to consider a threat to balance. SS/GWM/PAM? The things you already do are now better. It's not new, it's improved. I think that sort of balance was a mistake, even in Warlock invocations(which are bonus feats) the whole feat-chaining problem is what keeps them being so bipolar.
>>
>>54970410
you'r in charge, this is your game, make sure your players know it.
>>
>>54970721
And to the martial lovers, I'm not saying just straight up ban those feats. They should be merged into the fighter class somewhere. Maybe replace 14th/17th archetype feature with that OR one of these feat options or something. Like a mastered fighting style.
>>
>>54970812
or ranger where applicable for SS*
>>
File: wut.png (15KB, 841x371px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
15KB, 841x371px
http://easydamus.com/character.html
>>
Hello guys, I'm writing a BG for my Wizard and I google about the Faerun libraries, what happened to the Master's Library in 5e? It exists? How could my Wizard lived there learning?

BTW: BG is Cloistered Scholar
>>
>>54970876
That's a very optimistic stat spread

>>54970824
Several classes get fighting styles, but IMO only fighters should get fighting style specialization.
>>
Is it okay to use longsword because my DM is shit and won't customize the item to suit our party?
>>
>>54971034
All weapons are fine, what your class does with them is more important.
>>
>>54970710
>>54970734
Thank you anons
>>
>>54970410
The most important thing in the entire game is that the people you keep running into need to have distinct and/or funny accents. Everybody has at least one they can use. Apart from that just keep calm and don't shout at the players!
>>
File: wut.png (5KB, 583x324px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
5KB, 583x324px
>>54970876
>wisdom is my best score
>my int is literally lower than even my dex and con
>apparently I decided to be a wizard despite all that
>also, I'm chaotic stupid
o-okay
>>
>>54971230
Maybe a god told you to be a wizard?
>>
>>54971058
But most commonly found magic weapon is longsword.
>>
>>54971195
My embarrassingly bad accents can only add to this effect! Thanks anon
>>
I'm running an Arcane Archer in a campaign that's probably gonna reach 20th by the end of the campaign

Should I make her 18 Fighter/2 Ranger for hunters mark or just 20 straight Fighter?
>>
File: SataniaHehhh.jpg (145KB, 1031x876px) Image search: [Google]
SataniaHehhh.jpg
145KB, 1031x876px
>>54971230
Ah, you must be the level 1 wizard training to 1v1 a ranger.
>>
So does land druid's nature's ward make you immune to the poisoned condition, poison damage, or both?
>>
>>54971560
both
>>
>>54971593
Any official source or just your opinion
>>
>>54971546
Don't start this shit again...
>>
>>54971602
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/27/does-the-heroes-feast-spell-grant-immunity-to-poison/
Heroes' Feast grants "immunity to poison," which is the same words Nature's Ward gives, so the same applies.
>>
>>54971602
sage advice confirms it, i'll find sauce in a min
>>
>>54971602

>if I'm immune to poison, am I immune to poison?

Poison damage does damage by the poison being metabolized in your body, same as the poison conditioned. If you can't be poisoned, you can't take poison damage.
>>
>>54971602
>>54971638
Also from a logical perspective it's not like an element. You can't have a sword made of poison that does not interact with the victim's body in the manner of poisoning to deal damage. It'd just be some mundane sword made of stupid materials.
>>
>>54971696
>>54971696
>>54971696
>>
>>54971706

a sword made of poison would do 1dx slashing + 1dy poison damage. Someone immune to poison wouldn't take the poison damage.
>>
File: poison immune.jpg (63KB, 865x136px) Image search: [Google]
poison immune.jpg
63KB, 865x136px
>>54971635
can't find the druid specific one but here's precedence, as they are worded nearly identically
>>
>>54962715
sounds like your party was using short-rests to power game and your DM got tired of it.

I don't think you generally get an hour of free time whenever you want it when you are out fighting wars and monsters, you should of thought about that.
>>
>>54963511
>force to not use a mechanic.

You are NOT entitled to your mechanics. Players mechanics are not free things you get use whenever you want, you only get to use them when the rules of the game allow and the DM makes the rules.

I'm damn sure not giving out short rests like candy if all my players made characters that would be OP if I did.
>>
>>54964422
No. Sunglasses don't cover all of your skin exposed to the sun, only your eyes. it's an extremely dumb idea,
>>
>>54972263
do robes not exist in your setting?
Thread posts: 387
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.