[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can i run a risk of rain game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: A2fsPrt.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
A2fsPrt.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
First and foremost, what system would you recommend?

should i include other survival problems like the environment and shelter? should the characters be limited to the cast given or allow them to make their own?
>>
Run it using Pokemon Tabletop United combat rules which are based off D&D 4e.

Abilities are at-will, n-times-per-scene, burst N, blast N, Line, etc.

Items give you bonuses to your rolls or additions to your attacks.

If you want noncombat then do it however you want. Honestly I'd just freeform this.
>>
Bump

i love the end of summer, we can go 6 hours without archiving now
>>
File: Imp_Overlord_Portrait.png (4KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
Imp_Overlord_Portrait.png
4KB, 239x239px
When doing these kinds of things, I've found that it's best to avoid attempting to replicate video game mechanics and instead just go for the story and the feel of the game.

RoR is a perfect example of this because the core gameplay is a fun, action packed side scroller, while all the text in the game paints a bleak struggle for survival on a hostile world. If you read all the descriptions of the Monster Log you can get an idea of how it would look from the player's perspective. An example from the Imp Overlord's description:

>Oh, why me? My heart stopped when this great Imp manifested in previously empty space. So many horrendous eyes. With a gaping scream the Imp lets out a deadly red vapor. Some type of laser also trails me.

The gameplay would not translate well into tabletop and that's why I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't even bother.

If I were to run a RoR game (and I actually might, now that you've put the idea into my brain), I'd pick a system that's harsh and crunchy (like GURPS), resources are scarce and the world is hostile, rushing in without a plan will get you killed, and even small injuries or damage to equipment can prove fatal. Items would be scarce but powerful. You wouldn't be getting 20 Goat Hooves, but a single Tough Times can save your life. I'd avoid replicating in-game effects and instead focus on the item's concept. I'd also play up the item's corruption effects.

Most importantly, I'd find a group who was into all that before running it.
>>
>>54966253
Personally the one gameplay element i'd try to replicate is the feeling of power you get in the late game when you have two rows of items and are mowing through bosses.
>>
>>54966588
Personally, I'd avoid that, but that's personal preference. I tend to dislike games that have large power levels.

One thing I never liked about Risk of Rain is how Providence was pretty much a joke. He was too easy and not scary at all. Even the very first time I met him, by the time I managed to get to him I was already familiar enough with the game that he was no challenge.

I'd probably keep power-level pretty constant throughout the game, and the players would have to rely on knowledge of the world and on items to solve their problems, not on raw damage. Also I'd keep the bosses to one (or a few) each and de-emphasize combat with them, and in general, since I really don't see a guy with a gun, even a very good, futuristic gun, beating a Colossus (described in text and art as extremely large) or a Wandering Vargant (size of a house) easily.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.