[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General Stick of Danger Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 65

File: OSRG.jpg (512KB, 1667x2048px) Image search: [Google]
OSRG.jpg
512KB, 1667x2048px
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Trove:
http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd (embed)
>Online Tools:
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp (embed)
>Blogosphere:
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L (embed)

Previous thread: >>54912555

What's your favorite magic item?
>>
>>54959065
>What's your favorite magic item?
Machine of Lum the Mad.
>>
>favorite magic item
Apparatus of Kwalish
>>
>>54959065
Cubic Gate. I hand 1st level parties Cubic Gates.
>>
Dropping some OC and shiiling my blog.
>2 pages of open game content
>5 sample tribes
>1 page for the OGL

>>54959065
The Elemental summoning doodads.
>>
>d12 clown-based adversaries

1. A gnomish illusionist that's been posing as the imaginary friend of some local toddler. Has researched a spell called Invisibility to Adults to help him in this. Loves children in all the wrong ways.
Stats as illusionist two levels higher than the party average.

2. This clown got caught by a ghoul and never realized he died. He hunts the night and paralyzes those he catches, drags them to his lair, and forces them to be an audience to his act. In the end his hunger for flesh takes over and he devours his victims, but is so steeped in denial that he doesn't realize it. Can come in troupes of up to 6 clowns, led by a ghast: none of them are in on the joke.
Stats as ghoul or ghast

3. A band of ogres, one of whom is dressed as a clown. His brand of humor involves physical harm inflicted upon the smaller races. The other ogres find his slapstick hilarious.
Stats as ogre

4. 2d8 sad clowns. They will hunt the party in order to claim their joy and happiness by means of physical touch: a successful hit deals 1d4 damage (buzzer palms), along with energy drain and loss of positive emotion. For each such attack, the clown becomes happier for a while. Any characters hit will be depressed until Restoration is cast. Any characters killed by a sad clown raise from the dead as one.
Stats as wights
>>
>>54959536
5. A troupe of 2d6 kabuki actors in fully black suits, blending perfectly against any dark background. Always encountered with a group of other intelligent enemies, as being hired by them: they will move around the shadows to provide special effects, help guide missiles, improve their employers' morale, and otherwise fuck the party over. If the employers start to lose and they pass a morale check, they will all jump out at the same time to backstab the party and join the fray.
Stats as thieves of up to 6 levels

6. A mime makes a silent play about the party surrendering and agreeing to his demands: if they refuse (or, more likely, just don't get it), he attacks. Apparently unarmed and unarmored but mimes sword strokes, shield blocks, armor, bow if needed, any magic items you think he might require: if he can conceivably mime the effect of a magic item, then he can have its benefits on him. Never makes a sound, not even when he dies.
Stats as a fighter three levels higher than the party average. Carries no treasure: everything he mimed ceases being real upon death.

7. A wrecked, yet horrifically haunted, clown car. Its engine is busted beyond repair and it shouldn't be moving at all, yet it does. Creepy car lights, haunting honking, windows too dark to see inside. Attacks by running the party over. If forced to stop, it can unload 1d4 clowns per round and continues to do so until destroyed.
AC as plate mail, 50 hit points, can only be damaged by bludgeoning or magic weapons.
Clowns are basically zombies (equal stats) in ragged clown outfits.

8. A genie in a bottle, dressed up as a clown. Will grant a wish, but only if it's the asker's birthday. Otherwise tells them to wait till then and returns to the bottle. If it is in fact someone's birthday, this someone should be granted their wish straight and without any tricks - unless the genie-clown is actually an efreeti (1-2 in 6)
Stats as djinni or efreeti
>>
File: 1478315654506.jpg (29KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1478315654506.jpg
29KB, 620x349px
>>54959556
9. An ancient entertainment unit made out of stone, with the clown clothes painted on it. It dispenses one tired joke or gag per round while beating the shit out of the party.
Stats as stone golem

10. This Lich still wears its immaculate facepaint, wig, and surprisingly well-kept large pants and big shoes. He jealously guards his ancient library of jokes, practical tricks, and clown implement artifacts. If vanguished, turns out that most of his collection has become overplayed and cliched over the millennia since he was alive, but a careful search has 2 in 6 odds of yielding 2d4 books' worth of genuinely hilarious stuff that the world has forgotten.
Stats as Lich

11. A devil in the guise of a clown, taking advantage of an ancient and obscure clause that allows him to claim the souls of any that laugh in his presence. Doesn't realize that no one is going to laugh at a clown in the dungeon: if informed of the fact, he will attack the party and, unless defeated, move his activities to the nearest town instead.
Stats as pit fiend

12. This perfectly normal clown took a disastrously wrong turn on the way to work. He's confused, scared, and just wants to get back, but has no money to hire the party with an absolutely no applicable skills beyond torchbearing.
Stats as a regular human with 1d6 hit points
Roll again to see what turned up in that children's birthday party instead.
>>
>>54959065
More tech than magic, but probably that alien cylinder from "World of the Lost" that replaces our sun with a green one from some distant galaxy.
>>
>>54959536
>>54959556
>>54959574
3 stooges ogres are now a thing I want in my life/campaign. Also a band of butoh dancing ghouls. I'm in deep shit for 11. though, I actually think clowns are funny.
>>
>>54959749
>I actually think clowns are funny.
I mean that's all very well, but are you really going to laugh at one if you encounter him deep in a dark cold dungeon, just staring at you right outside torchlight's edge?
>>
>>54959801
I hope not but its on the table. Laughter as nervous response has happened at inappropriate times before. Its a huge red monster from hell with a honk nose. Its messed up, but I'm probably going to laugh too.
>>
File: 50 Strains of Vampirism.pdf (87KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
50 Strains of Vampirism.pdf
87KB, 1x1px
OC, for you.
>>
>>54960085
Take the clown posts from above and gives us 38 more of them.
>>
Nuromen GM here. Game ended a while ago, it's 1am now. We played 4pm to about 11pm. I don't think I enjoyed it, nor did the players. They all insisted otherwise but that gnawing doubt that is bosom buddies with depression hit immediately after the game was over for the night.
Inventory and char setup went about 2 hours. It wouldn't be until near the end of the game when players were still asking about ability score modifiers and such.
Party went by the right-hand-rule, discovered the old man in the gallows is an illusion but only after physically trying to touch him. After gallows and meeting the talking door they broke the rule and went for the armory, 3 of the 4 doors to the barracks were stuck and they got stuck on the last one, so they flipped around, perusing the feast hall and kitchen separated, harpies did their song and got all three dudes charmed, the female characters I guess were spared and then the spellcaster cast charm on the alpha harpy. I guess that bit was pretty ingenious. 1/?
>>
The party gave the harpies an IOU for the males, went to the pantry, one player had the ghost wine and turned albino, that bit I enjoyed, then they turned with newfound axes to break down the door to the barracks, there the dice decided wandering goblins ambush them, first trapping them in the corridor, then getting taunted into removing the barricade in front of the door and fighting fair (and dying, one hid and got conscripted to carry the torch after the party realized nobody had been carrying one EVEN THOUGH ONE OF THE MAIN POINTS OF PLAYING AN OLDSCHOOL D&D IS RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND ARMS ARE A RESOURCE) they went to the rax, two players hit death's door, both got CPR'd back to life, finished there.

I think me and one guy were the only people that genuinely gave a shit about the game or their own character. Dwarf player was playing first time and insisted his dorf likes to eat shit, not for sustenance, but pleasure. One person familiar with RPG's who knew this was going to be dungeoncrawling went with a pacifist character.

Maybe I should just hang up my GM hat and accept I was born on the wrong continent for this kind of game.
2/?
>>
>>54959065
>Stick of Danger

How does that compare to an overpowered stone rock?
>>
>>54959065
I'm glad someone took off the discord link. I wanted to, but I didn't know if someone would complain so I just kept making the lame jokes
>>
>>54960797
>>54960860
Don't worry about it too much, sounds like people were having fun and learning how to play a game, hang out with each other, etc. Its usually a bit messy at first, both as players and gms. Ask them what they thought in a few days, it'll give them more time to think about it and get back to you. Sounds fine fwiw though.

Or like, sounds like someone wants a dwarf to eat shit, but hopefully they'll get over it.
>>
>>54960860

Anon >>54961242 has some good advice. See what they thought first and then use that as feedback for the future. Based on that you can find or write a dungeon that integrates what they found to be fun and you can spend some time researching your next move as a DM. It may not be as bad as you think it was, so hang in there.
>>
>>54959065
Ignore me if this is too far off-topic, but what are some OSRG approved video games, and more importantly what makes the game comparable?
>>
>>54960085
Oh wow, are you the encounter anon who made the dark woodl encounters, great wall encounters, and 50 extra OSR classes? I love that stuff.
>>
>>54961706

Of course. I try to post something new in every thread.
>>
>>54961672

The Infinity Engine games (e.g. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment) helped rejuvenate CRPGs after the genre reached a low-point in the early to mid 90's.
>>
File: 2631346.png (24KB, 372x689px) Image search: [Google]
2631346.png
24KB, 372x689px
>>54962112
That's rad. I don't lurk these threads as much as I used to but I just scoured some archived threads trying to pick out the other stuff you made. Am I missing anything? The files marked with am M dash are one's I'm not sure are yours or PDFs that happen to look like yours.

I'm sure you've gotten this before, but would be cool if you have a single, updated place to find these like a google drive or blog or something.
>>
>>54961672
Wizardry series and the first three Ultima games.
NES Final Fantasy as well as the SaGa series (I throw SaGa in because it has that DIY DND LMAOOO aspect to it it always felt)
>>
>>54962222

I already do. All of those are mine except for the witch covens.

https://themansegaming.blogspot.com

I am going to soon recover the older documents I made on my old computer so I'll have the complete collection.
>>
>>54961672
Sorcerian
>>
>>54962281
>MSpaint guy is the 50 things guy

N-NANI?!
>>
>>54962307
Oh yeah, do any of Falcom's "Dragon Slayer" series. Each entry is a very distinctive take on roleplaying games
>>
File: 1453759093199.jpg (149KB, 638x768px) Image search: [Google]
1453759093199.jpg
149KB, 638x768px
Alright, I want some feedback on some Cleric and Wizard changes for my shitbrew/house rules

Clerics
>must have Wis 10+ to enter class
>can cast spontaneously
>know all spells of levels they could cast
>new spells are learned when they level up
>outside of leveling, they cannot learn new spells
>they can't create spells either
>spell progression is as BFRPG

>Wizards
>must have Int 10+ to enter class
>prepares spells
>can wear light armor (leather) and use one-handed melee weapons
>begins play knowing two random spells
>when a higher level of spell slot is unlocked they learn one random spell of that level (fruits of independent research)
>can learn new spells at any time
>can create new spells
>>
>>54962281
Added yours, and a handful of other recently mentioned blogs to the pastebin.
>>
Speaking of adding, anything new being thrown to the trove lately?
>>
File: trin.gif (32KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
trin.gif
32KB, 300x360px
>>54962650
>didn't add me
i-it's not like I wanted you to notice me o-or anything! anta baka!
>>
>>54962675
If you want to get stuff in the trove it's easier to find if you reply to the thread OP.

That being said, I did see the Bookmarked OD&D pdf posted in the last thread.

>>54962766
Well that's not helpful if you don't then give me a link to it.
>>
File: wighking.gif (73KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
wighking.gif
73KB, 300x360px
>>54962791
I hid the link in here >>54959474
buzzclaw.blogspot.com
It's been a while since I last posted though.
>>
File: Legend-of-Grimrock.jpg (70KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Legend-of-Grimrock.jpg
70KB, 1024x576px
>>54961672
Legend of Grimrock I & II

The first is a straight-up dungeon crawl requiring resource use and being clever. The second is more of the same, but now has outdoor exploration. Super, super good games.
>>
>>54962822
Oh, I did see this one. I saw it a really long time ago too, when I made that list. It didn't look focused on OSR, and I believe way back in the day you said as much.
It's added now.
>>
What should I call the heaviest armor if I don't want my setting to be 'advanced' enough to have platemail?
>>
>>54963245

Splint or Banded.
>>
>>54959065
Hewards Handy Haversack from the original Unearthed Arcana.
It's not flashy, it's utilitarian af
>>
>>54963245
Reinforced Armor
>>
>>54963271
Splint and banded mail, like ring mail, are misconceptions caused by Victorians taking illustrations too literally

I would say that in such a setting, you should just forget about having a readily-available plate equivalent, both mechanically and fluff-wise. If your players want something like that, they'll have to take the magical. semi-metallic hide of a turbobear to be made into armor by the elven smiths of Mount Fuckwad.

Or just some +x chain mail
>>
>>54963419
>they'll have to take the magical. semi-metallic hide of a turbobear to be made into armor by the elven smiths of Mount Fuckwad.
I just woke up the wife laughing
>>
>>54963419
>>54963479
Welp, time to make a dungeon module about the magical eleven smiths who lived in Mount Fuckwad
>>
>>54963503
It has to have turbobears. Lots of turbobears
>>
>>54963617
Oh, It'll have oodles of turbobears. Now I just have to figure out how to combine "turbine-driven forced induction device that increases an internal combustion engine's efficiency and power output by forcing extra air into the combustion chamber" and "carnivoran mammals" into something decently coherent.
>>
>>54963503
The Ancient Goat-king Yaktus McGroof set the magical eleven smiths upon a road to damnation. Their legacy...

>>54963617
...The Turbobears of Fuckwad
>>
>>54963699
I fail to see how you could fail to combine this. It is a bear, it has a turbo. Enjoy your terrifying Mad Max bears.
>>
>>54963731
Like bears that wiz by at 60mph?
>>
>>54963699
>>54963731

It could be a turbojet, actually. Flying jet-propelled bears.

Nah, that's too terrifying to contemplate.
>>
What else calls lurks in Mount Fuckwad? Why would you want go there?
>>
>>54963718
>The Turbobears of Fuckwad
That is now my dwarves adventuring companys name
>>
File: dd_007.jpg (228KB, 861x600px) Image search: [Google]
dd_007.jpg
228KB, 861x600px
>>54962872
>It didn't look focused on OSR
Well, I suppose it's not exactly OSR-focused although I think most of posts are actually OSR-related. I'll understand if it gets removed.

captcha: warning advice
>>
>>54963865
I mean, elven smiths that ride turbobears as mounts is enough for me

>>54963731
Turbobear
Freq: V. Rare
Size: L
HD: 5+5
AC: 0
Move: 24
#att: 6
Dam: 1-8 x4 (claw) 1-12 x2 bite

That's kinda a start I guess.... a cave bear with double movement and attacks is what I'm thinking.
>>
>>54964109

>4 claws, 2 bites

That's a TPK waiting to happen.
>>
>>54964250
>turbobear
>not TPK nightmare fuel
That's the point. You don't fuck around on Mount Fuckwad. They'll send turbobears to kill you and of you run, they make a sport out of it, running you down
>>
You crazy bastards are making me want to do a Brutal Legend inspired game with these turbobears and Mount Fuckwad.
>>
>"turbo"bears
>no at-will haste ability

shaking my heads to be honest
>>
File: 1502769711855.jpg (149KB, 508x650px) Image search: [Google]
1502769711855.jpg
149KB, 508x650px
Do you guys think OSR stuff would be approachable as somebody new to RPGs? I've played wargames before and have a bunch of miniatures so I'd like to use them with terrain and shit too. Would AD&D be difficult for a noob? Should I start with something more streamlined like 5E or Pathfinder?
>>
>>54964961
>More streamlined
>Like 5e or Pathfinder

???
>>
>>54964961
>Do you guys think OSR stuff would be approachable as somebody new to RPGs?
>Should I start with something more streamlined like 5E or Pathfinder?

Not sure if b8 or hilarious ignorance.

OSR games are literally the easiest to learn and play. 5e and Pathfinder have character creation that takes an hour even with GM guidance.
>>
>>54964966
Are they not more streamlined or something? This isn't a very informative response, now, is it?
>>54964976
Yeah but don't newer games like 5E have a lot more "handholding" for new players? Why is this hilarious? Seems like a pretty simple question.
>>
File: (siren blaring).jpg (74KB, 1200x673px) Image search: [Google]
(siren blaring).jpg
74KB, 1200x673px
>>54964987
>Yeah but don't newer games like 5E have a lot more "handholding" for new players? Why is this hilarious? Seems like a pretty simple question.

You're ignorant of the subject. It is not like that.

The game may be 'easier' compared to older games but it is not more handhold-y. By having more rules and character options the game takes much longer to learn and set up to play. You have to write down multiple feats, multiple racial and class abilities, calculate a bunch of skills, choose backgrounds and learn about the in game systems.

This is NOT how OSR games do it, and they ARE much easier for beginners. You know what you do in 99% of OSR games? You roll 3d6, once for each stat, write the numbers down, pick a class, boom that's it. If you're a Wizard you might have to roll for starting spells and what they do, and you're done.

Pathfinder has races, feats, special powers, so much more shit and options that you will never understand on your first game. There's like 6 classes in B/X compared to like 8 + 6 races with multiple progression paths in D&D 5e. Not to mention Pathfinder, which has even more inane classes AND unique racial bonuses for each class you have to remember.

I'm not joking, and I'm not pulling your leg. These are the best games to play as a beginner, and hell a lot easier to run as a GM too. OSR games are not bloated with huge numbers of skills and feats and magic spells. Their lightweight nature is what attracts people, myself included, to them.

There you go, I've answered your question.
>>
>>54965031
>OSR games are not bloated with huge numbers of magic spells.
Ha.
>>
>>54964987
Just look at the size of the rulebooks.

>Basic: 120 pages
>5e PHB only: 320 pages
>>
>>54964987
>>54964961
>5e or Pathfinder
>"""""streamlined"""""

I cast Detect b8

>>54964976
>Pathfinder have character creation that takes an hour
You must play with savants because every PF chargen session I've been takes 2+ hours.
>>
>>54965031
>You're ignorant of the subject. It is not like that.
That's why I asked. That's usually how questions work; you don't know a thing, so you ask about that thing. You know?
As for the rest of your post, I see what you're saying. I was under the impression that while newer games were more bloated, it was mostly due to them having to explain everything that much more clearly to new players. Like, isn't the main reason people hate D&D nowadays because it favors newer players instead of returning ones? I don't know, everything I know about TRPGs is stuff I've heard here.
I actually have a copy of the AD&D Player's Handbook and there's a couple things I can't wrap my head around probably because of the ADD, like the descending AC. Most of the book seems fine but stuff like the descending AC just doesn't make sense to me. Is there a reason it was made that way? I think I heard it was changed in newer editions to ascending AC (which, personally, makes a lot more sense to me).
>>54965073
Wow you got me mate! This has all been a clever ruse! But you found me out. Grats bud!
>>
>>54965091
Maybe just pick something like Swords & Wizardry with ascending AC.
>>
>>54965091
Yeah, the stuff about being streamlined kinda breaks down in AD&D, that's why everyone in the OSR plays Basic or Basic-based retroclones.

BFRPG and Lamentations of the Flame Princess are both B/X retroclones that have ascending AC
>>
>>54965114
Yeah I was looking at different OSR games like DCC, would that be better maybe? I like to have a physical rulebook when playing tabletop games. Is 2nd Edition D&D considered OSR? What's the consensus on that?
>>
>>54965132
Cool thanks mate, I've actually heard of LotFP and what I heard was very positive, so I'll check it out.
>>
>>54965137
Sure, just read through one until you understand it well enough to teach to people.
>>
>>54964685
It's why I gave them double attacks and movement.
>>
File: confuse cowpoke.jpg (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
confuse cowpoke.jpg
32KB, 480x480px
>>54965091
>isn't the main reason people hate D&D nowadays because it favors newer players instead of returning ones?
You are so wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where you got these ideas from. WOTC D&D/PF is hated because it's all about munchkinism and powergaming. 4e was a brief break in the autism which attracted new players and was the most balanced WOTC edition but the WOTC buckled and introduced 5e aka 3e lite. 5e drove away 4rries from the franchise but brought back the scourge of 3eaboos.

>>54965137
>What's the consensus on that?
Do you like roll-under ability checks and a shitload of splats? If so, you'll like 2e.
>>
>>54965137
Despite being well-intentioned, I just want you to know you've unknowingly created some truly beautiful bait.

DCC is usually not considered OSR because it has no mechanical basis on some TSR version of D&D. It's "OSR-adjacent". It's based off the 3.5 OGL, and while not as complex as actual 3e, it has some fiddly rules and a million charts to take track of the game's RNG, which makes it far less intuitive than something like B/X
>>
>>54965137
I play almost exclusively 2e AD&D. It might not be 'osr approved' but... well... I run it as such and after running the same campaign in greyhawk for 27 years or so with the system, I feel no need to switch back to its Basic roots.
>>
>>54965196
>>54965195
What would you guys recommend then that has a physical rulebook? LotFP?
>>
Fuck it, I refuse to believe that anyone has somehow learned the opposite of everything that is true about the OSR genre.
>>
>>54965195
>Do you like roll-under ability checks and a shitload of splats? If so, you'll like 2e
I'm this douche: >>54965211 and I'll admit that I've never used ANY of that crap, and they are to be avoided at all costs. All of them. I don't even use the P.O. books. I mean, I never felt I needed to constantly spend $ to keep playing a game that I already houseruled the shit out of
>>
>>54965215
Yeah, LotFP is good. It has a neat d6-based skill system and sensible gun rules, which some people like too. Just take in mind it's basically a heavily houseruled B/X, so if you feel like something's too complicated (like the infamous summon spell) it's likely it wasn't like that in the original game and that you won't change much by ignoring it.
>>
>>54965215
not to be a prat, but any pdf you can print is a physical rulebook.

B/X or Labyrinth Lord, ACKS or LotFP are all good places to start,l.
>>
>>54965270
Which of those has ascending AC? Am I autistic for not understanding descending AC?
>>
>>54965254
>Arcane Age
>The Complete Psionics Handbook
>all the MC Appendices
>The Complete Priest's Handbook
>Dark Sun Box Set
>Al-Qadim Box Set
>"""crap"""

>>54965215
LotFP is edgy garbage full of useless purple prose.

>>54965297
>>54965297
>Which of those has ascending AC?
Basic Fantasy RPG

>Am I autistic for not understanding descending AC?
Probably but we're all autismos here.
>>
House roll for descending AC.Use different dice ranging from d18,d16,d15,d14,d13,d12,d11 for attack rolls.That way your roll corresponds to what AC you have hit.I use d18 for 1/2 HD monsters,d16 for less than 1,and d15/d14/d13/d12/d11 for monster HD ranging from 1 to 5.Lowest AC possible is 2,similar to OD&D.PCs are limited to levels 1 to 5.Thoughts?
>>
>>54965337
If I wanted to get B/X, which book would I get? I'm looking at eBay right now and I'm seeing a few different ones with different printings and covers and shit.
>>
File: bx vs ll.jpg (1MB, 1248x2998px) Image search: [Google]
bx vs ll.jpg
1MB, 1248x2998px
>>54965297
I think just LotFP.

B/X is the original 2 rulebooks, Basic and Expert.

ACKS is B/X with detailed rules for domain-level play and a shitload of classes.

Labyrinth Lord is a fairly faithful B/X clone with some (rather arbitrary, pic related) changes.

LotFP is B/X with ascending AC, "weird fiction" and punk culture influences, an early-modern assumed setting, guns, d6 thief skills, no attack bonus scaling for classes other than fighters, a slot-based encumbrance system and some other stuff.
>>
>>54965350
The Moldvay Basic and Cook Expert books.
>>
>>54965337
>LotFP is edgy garbage full of useless purple prose.
The mechanics are good, though.
>>
>>54965371
>>54965356
Thanks
>>
>>54965349
>d18,d16,d15,d14,d13,d12,d11
Nice meme, Sean.

>>54965381
>>54965381
>The mechanics are good, though.
Post the cap of the summon spell and say that again.
>>
>>54965425
Everyone knows about the summon spell. If everything ELSE was like that I wouldn't be saying that its mechanics are good.
>>
>>54965440
>Everyone knows about the summon spell.
Except for the guy you're shilling LotFP to, who thought that 5e and PF were streamlined.
>>
>>54965468
Yeah, that's why I specifically mentioned the summon spell as something he could ignore
Also
>shilling
You only have to pay if you want the illustrated version, don't want to pirate it, and don't have a printer
>>
Alright so I'm taking a look at BFRPG and it seems to have ascending AC so my autism is satiated. Would it work well with miniatures though? About to buy it since the rulebook is like $6 on Amazon
>>
>>54965571
It will, but it's not a key part of the game. People generally didn't count squares on graph paper or anything back in the day, if they were using it. You should also read the sections about out-of-combat exploration and mapping, which throws off a lot of people coming in from other games.
>>
>>54965593
Cool thanks mate. Should I grab the Field Guide while I'm at it or should I play a few games first?
>>
>>54965599
You can go without, easily. There's a decently sized monster section if you don't feel like making your own statblocks. All the BFRPG stuff you can grab for free on their page, as pdfs.
>>
>>54965611
Alright thanks man. Cheers!
>>
>>54962609
...what's changed?
>>
File: play_c_flat.png (152KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
play_c_flat.png
152KB, 500x400px
>>54959131
>>54959189

nice

heward's mystical organ
>>
>>54962162
Played Pillars of Eternity yet? It's actually really fuckin good.
>>
>>54965787
Spontaneous spell casting for clerics is the one that jumped out at me. Other than that though, not sure.
>>
>>54965297
Converting descending AC to ascending AC is really easy. Subtract descending AC from 20 to get ascending AC. Subtract THAC0 from 20 to get your attack bonus. And then all you have to do is... nothing. That's it. You've already done it.
>>
File: ODD_SVE_bookmarked.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ODD_SVE_bookmarked.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
Reposting the bookmarked OD&D Single Volume Edition (by Greyharp).
>>
File: thaco ac.png (204KB, 1185x802px) Image search: [Google]
thaco ac.png
204KB, 1185x802px
>>54965297
>Am I autistic for not understanding descending AC?
It's less intuitive, but the math isn't inherently more difficult. In fact, it has the exact same underlying equation; you're just solving it in a different way.

It is an armor *class* system, and 1st class is better than 2nd class is better than 3rd class, etc. So the lower you got, the better. And early on, that's really all you needed to know. There were attack tables on which you cross-referenced your class and level with your target's AC to determine what you needed to roll. Then, somewhere along the line, people started using a shortcut. If you knew what you needed to hit a monster of a certain AC, you could figure the rest out. So in the back of the AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide, for instance, Gygax had a list of the monsters you could encounter along with what the monsters' chance "To Hit A.C. 0".

After all, if you need an 20 to hit AC 0, and you're attacking AC 1, which is one point of AC worse, then you're gonna have a 1 point better chance. So instead of needing to roll an 20 or over, all you'd need to roll is a 19 or over. What about an AC of 2? Well, that's 2 points of AC worse than AC 0, so you'd have a 2 point better chance to hit. So instead of needing to roll a 20, you'd only need an 18. And so on. So you're just subtracting the enemy's AC from the number you need to roll to hit AC 0. So what number do you need to hit AC 7? If your chance to hit AC 0 is 20, then it'd be 7 points lower, which is 20 - 7 = 13.

THAC0 is just an abbreviation of "To Hit AC 0" and even in editions that didn't explicitly have THAC0, you can derive it from looking at the combat tables in the book. Just find your level and class and see what number you'd need to roll to hit a target with an AC of 0, and that number is your THAC0 (see pic).
>>
>>54965297
>>54966587
So your THAC0 minus the monster's AC equals the minimum number you need to roll in order to hit that monster. So if your THAC0 is 18 and the monster's AC is 3, then 18 - 3 = 15. You need to roll a 15 or higher to hit that monster.

You can also approach it a little differently. Make an attack roll and subtract that roll from your THAC0. The resulting number indicates the best (lowest) AC that you could hit with that roll. So if your THAC0 is 18 and you roll a 15, then 18-15 = 3. If your target has an AC of 3 or above (3 or shittier), you hit. Otherwise you miss.
>>
File: THAC0 steps.png (54KB, 1178x284px) Image search: [Google]
THAC0 steps.png
54KB, 1178x284px
>>54966635
>>54966587
>>54965297
And then one final thing to help you visualize it. Look at the table here. Let's say you're a 3rd level fighter striking at a monster with an armor class of 3. Cross-referencing the table, you'll see that your chance to hit AC 0 is 19 (marked by a ed square). Put your finger on the red square and move it 3 spaces to the left, noting that each time the armor class rises by 1, the number you need to roll goes down by 1. So it's 19 to hit AC 0. It's 18 to hit AC 1. It's 17 to hit AC 2. And it's 16 to hit AC 3.

So with AC 3, you've moved 3 steps to the left, and the number you need to roll (marked by a red circle) is 3 points lower than what you need to roll to hit AC 0. So all you really need to do is subtract the monster's AC (3) from your THAC0 (19) in order to get your target number (16).
>>
File: bx books sidebyside.jpg (450KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bx books sidebyside.jpg
450KB, 1600x1200px
>>54965350
>>
File: bx boxes.jpg (363KB, 806x534px) Image search: [Google]
bx boxes.jpg
363KB, 806x534px
>>54966731
Or, if you were looking at the boxes that contain the books, this is what they look like.
>>
File: 1457980159413.jpg (124KB, 492x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457980159413.jpg
124KB, 492x480px
>>54965787
>>54966422
Clerics being spontaneous casters.
Wizards can wear leather and use swords.
>>
>>54965350
>>54966731
Listen to this man, he speaks truth.
>>
>>54966731

I really like this art. It's colorful and cartoony enough to get you excited and to be just the right amount of cheesy but isn't childish either.

It's a lot better then this modern trend of 'wow make everything super dark and edgy that's what the gamers want lol'
>>
>>54966764
I think if you have an in universe magic-user aversion to metal, that could be really cool, but I'd try to remember to keep that in mind all the time as a general weakness of magic users.
>>
File: i need to axe you a question.png (1MB, 804x529px) Image search: [Google]
i need to axe you a question.png
1MB, 804x529px
>>54966858
I really like Erol Otus. He isn't the most technically proficient artist out there, but his shit has style, and I find it much more evocative than, say, Elmore.
>>
>>54966884
>>
>>54966884
>>54966858
Peter Mullen hits a lot of the same vibes as well, although his stuff feels slightly more polished in comparison to Erol Otus's stuff
>>
>>54961672
Nethack, Brogue, ADOM, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
>>
>>54967103
ADOM is more like 3e with its ridiculous charge and difficulty issues.
>>
>>54967354
>its ridiculous charge and difficulty issues.
???
>>
>>54964250
>That's a TPK waiting to happen.
At that speed it's hardly waiting.
>>
>>54967797
chargen*
>>
>>54965297

Basic Fantasy RPG uses BX at its base, but makes a few adjustments, including ascending AC. You can download any of their core rules or supplements for free from their website.
>>
>>54966279

No, but will have to check it out.
>>
>>54967950

Is that what it is called? What magic system does it use?
>>
>>54961672
Caves of Qud
>>
>>54968041

Same as BX. It's a BX clone with a few 3E adjustments (like ascending AC).
>>
Can we please get back to the important topic of turbobears and Mount Fuckwad?
>>
>>54967103

Angband is also good.
>>
>>54968504

That's a shame. The B/X magic system is such total shit. Wish it was something better.
>>
>>54968921
You're total shit
>>
>>54968921
What's wrong with it? Are you saying B/X in specific, or old school D&D in general?
>>
>>54968921
>The B/X magic system

Well it's the same across many TSR products (e.g. BX, BECMI, 1E AD&D, 2E AD&D). If you don't like the "wizards can memorize only so many spells" based on their level, then a lot of OSR may not be what you are looking for.

You're free to modify it however you see fit.
>>
>>54969244
>>54968987
>>54969513

It's the vancian system in general. Spells are always either too specific or too broad, the fluff is poor in my opinion, spell preperstion is annoying and doesnt add anything to the game, and it doesn't 'feel' magical or mystical in anyway. Doesn't help it is usually overpowered in most D&D products.

I want an alternative that's better is all I'm saying.
>>
>>54969635
what's your alternative mate?
>>
>>54969635
>spells aren't broad and are too specific
>the preparation makes no sense
And then:
>mages are overpowered
Am.... am I being trolled here?
>>
>>54969670

That's why I'm asking.

>>54969695

I'm not getting into a debate here, but it doesn't really matter how actually 'hard' you make it to cast spells because of their strength people will jump through those hoops anyway and it is still more powerful then what other classes can do. I can make a class that can cast Wish once per level, am I suddenly a game designer because I'm stressing resource management? No,.and putting all you conceptual focus on inhibiting the MU isn't stopping the balance issue either way.
>>
>>54969731
>I'm not getting into a debate here
hmmmm. if all you're gonna do is shit all over everyone else's opinion, and the system they play, with the whole 'balance' meme then i ask you this:
wtf are you doing here then?
>>
Any good spell books to get for BFRPG?
>>
>>54969849

Me not liking the boring and trite magic system of OSR games is not a personal attack. I'm not saying I can't tolerate it, I've used that magic system before, I just think it's very disappointing that every game that comes around has to use the same boring old shitty not!Dying Earth magic.
>>
>>54969958
Get off your ass and make your own, then. Shouldn't take too long to homebrew a magic system. That is, if you're not just a shitposting, lazy faggot.
>>
>>54969865

Go to the BF site and click on Downloads and then on Showcase. Look for Libram Magica.
>>
>>54969990
Thanks mate! Didn't see that page, was busy looking at the pdf downloads.
>>
>>54969958
>>54969990
Wonder & Wickedness is also pretty good.
>>
>>54969958
Then you obviously don't fucking want an OSR game then. I ask again
>wtf are you even doing here then?
If youre panties are in a twist over balance in d&d, then you need to actually use the ruleset as provides to ensure balance: ie make wizards collect those spell components... oh wait, you don't seem to like resource mgmt in games either, so I refer you back to my original question I just green texted again
>>
>>54970021
>as provided
It's too early for this shit....
>>
Anyone know what went down at the What's New at Goodman Games panel at Gencon?
>>
>>54970453

What, did they hold another book burning? Or have they moved on to burning 4e developers at the stake?
>>
>>54964352
>>54964250
Some more monsters that inhabit Mount Fuckwad:
- Parasitic Brain Worms
- The God-Bee
- Wilhelm Shatner & the Knights of Santiago
- Demon Goat
- Ian Holm & The Last Strumpet
- Hoggus Maximus (Piglords)
- Fool Front'll and the Bardic Stripping Guild
- Cave Eels (Subterranean Giant Moray)
- Sloot (Cave Gorilla)
- Trant the Younger (Micro-lich)
- Wilton Boont & the Animated Garbage
- Painkiller Fog (Sentient Heroin Cloud)
>>
>>54968546
Here's some items from Fuckwad:
- Ogre Enhancement Powder (3 bags full)
- Toastmasters (Animated Bread Warriors)
- The Diamond Lemon
- Mud of Beauty
- Popping Stones
- The Cloak of Weather (permanently balmy - cursed)
- The Sword of Wilhelm Shatner (+5 vs Outsiders)
- Wig of Law
- Chaos Juice (3 flasks)
- Vorpal Whisk +3
- Bag of Hand-holding
- Earrings of Vanity
- Clockwork Goose (Secret turbo experiment)
>>
Are there any decent OSR actual plays either video or audio?

I really want to get a good feeling of how these games play out and I can't get a game together at the moment.
>>
>>54971290
youtube would be a good place to make an attempt before shitposting here you fucking cunt
>>
>>54971290
If you're not one of those people with a primal revulsion to Adam Koebel's face for some fucking reason, there's the Old School Adventures stream in the roll20 youtube channel. It's a playthrough of Keep on the Borderlands. Just take in mind that the first video is gm prep, and like the next one and a half is everyone fiddling with chargen and the roll20 sheet, and THEN they don't get out of the wilderness until like episode 5.
>>
File: laughing_cheetah.jpg (65KB, 493x311px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_cheetah.jpg
65KB, 493x311px
>>54971352
>a primal revulsion to Adam Koebel's face for some fucking reason

Heh, you noticed that too, huh?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-20_19-23-55.png (2MB, 1920x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-20_19-23-55.png
2MB, 1920x1000px
>>54966444
I'm printing this through Lulu, what do you guys think about the dust cover I am designing for it? Any tips/advice on how to make it better?
>>
>>54971576

Make sure you include the missing tables for encounters and stuff.
>>
>>54971576
You could send me a copy...
I have no skills
>>
>>54971576
That looks dope. I'd make the blurb between 'original dungeons & dragons' shorter, like 'Rules for Paper and Pencil Fantastic Medieval Wargame Campaigns' so you can see more of the cover art, but its not very important.
>>
>>54971689
Once it's finished I'll share it
>>54971711
Thanks, I'll look into that!
>>
>>54971576
looks great mate. wish BFRPG had good cover art like this
>>
File: shill.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
shill.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
>>54959065
A pair of wax wings one can use to fly upwards into the sky and explore it. Coincidentally here's a post detailing exploring the sky. http://melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/08/cloudssky-terrain-mechanics-wilderness.html
>>
>>54960085
>>54962112
Excellent again. You did the magic weapons one? I used that one straight away, ala The Hobbit, just finding some legendary swords in a muddy hole.

Would you consider a 'X number of tribes and primitive cultures'?
>>
>>54971576
Put the authors in alphabetical order.
>>
>>54972155
t. Arneson's ghost
>>
File: 1492629106.jpg (926KB, 1600x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1492629106.jpg
926KB, 1600x1170px
>>54972357
You know it, sonny.
>>
>>54972155
I thought it would be best to list them in order of significance
>>
>>54971352
I have a primal revulsion to his water drinking. JUST GET A FUCKING CUP YOU JACKASS, PUT THE FUCKING BOTTLE AWAY.
>>
>>54972618
Still Arneson first then?
>>
File: pugilist_DV_20090929155448.jpg (30KB, 262x394px) Image search: [Google]
pugilist_DV_20090929155448.jpg
30KB, 262x394px
>>54972618
Them's fightin' words, boyo!
>>
>>54972618
t. Gygax's ghost
>>
File: MMA2 Printer.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MMA2 Printer.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
So the "fancy" version of the Monster Menu-All 2: Veins of the Earth Edition is slightly too large to upload here.

But the printer-friendly version isn't. Come get a sneak preview. It's been fancified. It's got art by /not Scrap Princess/. It's got nice tables!
>>
>>54969635
Check out Hackmaster 5e. It has a fun magic system I think.
>>
>>54972000
This is pretty good. I'd probably have added in floating islands as well, myself, but those probably wouldn't work much differently from clouds anyway.

Only real complaint --- it's spelled "pseudo". Somehow you managed to misspell that in two different ways.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHsQonFgJdE
What do you guys think of this guy's vid? The guy says 5E is simpler than BFRPG... What the fuck?
>>
>>54972739
Hey Skerples, I'd just like you to know that I'm running TotSK with several different groups and the latest one fucking tore your dungeon to shreds. They killed the black pudding, the guardian, the basilisk, and Xiximanter with minimal damage taken. They absolutely cleaned house.
>>
>>54971875
>Once it's finished I'll share it
Its really neat when you're reminded nice ppl really do exist. Thanks
>>
>>54973062
Can you put them through Mount Fuckwad when it's ready?
>>
>>54973111
Probably. I'm using TotSK as a campaign starter so if it works in the campaign world, I'll do it.
>>
>>54972739
skerples, I fucking love you
this is seriously my new favourite thing in gaming.
>>
>>54973111
>those repeating digits
I'm honestly glad this seems to be a thing. I hope it turns out, and I really hope you use something like >>54964109 for the turbobears, I really do
>>
>>54971184
Another item is like to see:
Magical compass
Always points to the closest turbobear lair. Characters would just find a compass. >doesn't seem to point North like mine does
>figure out the needle is always pointing at something
>ok, let's go that way
??????
>turbobear
>>
>>54972653
I'm more unsettled about that girl who has an ever-lasting milkshake in a mason jar
>>
>>54973404
And the three pounds of lipstick? And the warning hair? And the too big of smile?
You have a point.
>>
>>54973045

>Someone's retarded on Youtube

I, for one, am shocked and appalled.
>>
>>54973646
He's not retarded though, the weird part is BFRPG is his favorite fantasy TRPG, but he thinks 5E is simpler.
>>
>>54967354
>>54967819
Yes, but what are those issues? I guess I've just never figured out how to exploit it despite playing the game quite a bit.
>>
What sort of proficiencies should I give cat and dog people in ACKs? I'm thinking the higher the value, the more race based proficiencies they get. Like 0 could be a compared to a house pet while the maximum would be like a werewolf/tiger.
>>
>>54974896
The lower-valued ones could gain proficiencies based on being adorable, for vast reaction bonuses.
>>
http://paimonssilvercity.blogspot.com/

sasuga DIY DND crowd
>>
>>54973045

>definitive compare and contrast

Keep trying
>>
>>54971352
>a primal revulsion to Adam Koebel's face for some fucking reason
The key is in "primal", it's an evolutionary trait. Disgust is evolved to keep people away from things that make you sick, like rotten flesh, bad fruit, problem-haired women and Adam Koebel.
>>
>>54971576
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST POST A LINK TO YOUR PRIVATE UPLOAD WHEN YOU'RE DONE

Oh, and if possible could you include Chainmail in this booklet? That would be GOAT, to have the best shit all in one book. I'd buy like five.
>>
>>54971576
>another swefag
Alltså ibland undrar jag om det är några jänkare i tråden överhuvudtaget.
>>
>>54959065
With Roll20, is there a thing that allows the sound of dice rolling or some other signifier when the DM is rolling dice 'behind the screen' or some such?
>>
>>54971576
Would be awesome if somebody could do this with Basic Fantasy, compiling all the modules and giving it better cover art.
>>
>>54975405
>Basic Fantasy
I'd prefer B&X myself, that one Anon's Greyharping of Moldvay/Cook. I'm not sure he ever finished it, but still.
>>
>>54975434
>that one Anon's Greyharping of Moldvay/Cook
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that, would you?
>>
What works better with BFRPG, modules made for 3.5 or modules made for OD&D?
>>
>>54975470
I don't, I only have an incomplete copy in my OSR stash. I'm sure if you ask Anon he'll post the latest version of it, though.
>>
>>54975434
>>54975470
He posted it last thread
>>
>>54975661
They both have conflicts with Basic but OD&D will likely be easier to convert by virtue of having less rules and sharing a bit of mechanical common ground beyond basic concepts
>>
>>54975661
A trick question. OD&D had no modules at all that I know of, while 3.5 modules are universally shit.
>>
>>54975684
>>54975665
k I'll check last thread thanks
>>54975733
Yeah sorry I meant like fanmade modules for OD&D like the spellbooks and monster manuals that people make
>>
>>54975733
It actually did but they were third-party.
>>
>>54975684
I think you're confusing it with >>54966444, the bookmarked PDF of Greyharp. I can't find B&X in any of the threads still in the board archive.
>>
File: 4725842.png (20KB, 277x654px) Image search: [Google]
4725842.png
20KB, 277x654px
>>54975393
Yeah, go to the settings (gear icon) on the top right on Roll20 screen and tick "Enable 3D dice". This will roll dice on your screen, as well as play a sound effect for them rolling around.
>>
>>54975825
thanks
>>
>>54975825
Will it play the sound for my players, even if the roll itself is secret?
>>
D&D = Legend of Grimrock
LotFP = Darkest Dungeon
Gamma World = Caves of Qud

What other games sort of hit the tone of OSR systems?
>>
>>54976068
go check for yourself you dumb fuck. not that you have any players since you're running like 1E or whatever the fuck...
>>
>>54976211
y u mad

Also, checking for myself won't be a thing if I'm wondering whether my secret DM rolls will make noises for my players.
>>
>>54976068
No I don't believe so. I know that that options in client side only, meaning if you're the only person with it enabled you'll only you see the dice you roll and not dice from other uses. If you and Player A have it enabled, only the two of you will see them, and Player B will not. If you're intent is to let the players know you're rolling dice I use the following macro.

/emas "The DM" rolls dice in secret...
>>
>>54976236
ask these players you supposedly have you dumb fagget
>>
>>54976238
Thanks again. Might have to abuse that macro.
>>
>>54961672
The biggest difference between video game RPGs and many old school and retroclones RPGs, especially those based on Moldvay, is the frequency of fighting. In Moldvay D&D there are about 3 rolls, maybe more before a fight actually starts. If you're using optional monster morale rules, there's a chance the creatures will flee. By and large video game RPGs have no such mechanic. You can't offer them bribes, or pit them against one another, or disguise yourself as one of them. You just fight em'.
>>
>>54976238
>you're intent
No, YOU'RE intent!
>>
>>54976068
>>54976238
If you're a GM you can go to the Jukebox, under the Fanburst tab play "Free Dice Rolling Sound Effect" and "RollDice by d100GM".
>>
>>54976448
Oh, that works even better! Thank you for the heads up.
>>
>>54975375
>>54971576
>two other swefags
Har någon av er testat Svärd och Svartkonst? Det verkar inte så bra.
>>
>>54971352
>>54971390
Glad to know I'm not the only one with that reaction.
>>
File: IMG_1397.jpg (995KB, 1834x1020px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1397.jpg
995KB, 1834x1020px
So are you people just too poor to get 5E or what?
>>
>>54977053
i think they just want to play decent games instead
>>
>>54977053
I don't think so. It's a different style of game like Halo vs CoD or Starcraft vs Civ. Your bait might actually agitate someone, and they might come in to claim that 5e is "objectively bad", but I think it's fun in it's own way. It's all down to preference.
>>
@54977053
2/10
Nice attempt, I don't hand out (You)s to the retarded tho, sorry
>>
>>54976568

What, that his post was funny, or are you one of the guys with the "primal revulsion" he was joking about?
If so, you're weird.
>>
>>54977053
Yes, that's exactly it.
>>
>>54977053
some of us are so poor that we have to write our own material entirely rather than paying for somebody else's!
why, some of us are so poor that we even publish that material!
>>
File: 1502566256370.png (404KB, 570x593px) Image search: [Google]
1502566256370.png
404KB, 570x593px
>>54977078
>>54977097
>>54977127
>>54977154
and this retard that can't even reply properly >>54977108
thanks for the (You)s
>>
>>54977218
No problem. Stop by anytime.
>>
>>54977264
oh i will. this general is by far most autistic. sad too because I actually like OSR, in fact I just bought a copy of BFRPG, but holy shit you guys need to sort yourselves out
>>
>>54966438
stop using this image, LL uses descending AC
>>
>>54977290
I hope you'll enjoy the game. It's pretty fun.
>>
>>54977318
thanks mate yeah it looks good
>>
@54977218
>he isn't hip on anti-(You) memes
SAD!
>>
>>54977290
>this general is by far most autistic
I don't think it'd be possible to rate /tg/ generals by levels of autism. It'd be like rating shit by levels of smell.
>>
>>54977422
nice meme dude, upvoted
>>54977596
if anything i think AoS would be the least autistic simply because the only people who play AoS are people who are too stupid and ignorant about the hobby to play something better
>>
File: autism on fire.png (1MB, 973x833px) Image search: [Google]
autism on fire.png
1MB, 973x833px
>arguing over who's more autistic
>>
>>54959065
I'm coming late to this thread, but I'm introducing OSR to a bunch of newbies next week. I want the game to be mostly dungeon-crawl related, but to be honest I've never done that before.

How should I run a game where the majority of the action is meant to be dungeon related? What is a good beginner's dungeon (or dungeon idea?)

I've run a lot of OSR-styled games over the years without really knowing a name for what I was doing, but I've never done a good long dungeon crawl. Only mini-dungeons and mostly surface-level games.
>>
>>54974965
Skerples, it looks like this guy likes you. You should collab with him.
>>
>>54977218
>reply properly >>54977108 (You)
>being this completely retarded
I know we were talking about turbobears earlier and all, but attracting turbofaggots doesn't really work for me.
Keep being a fucking retard tho, it's pretty funny.
>>
>>54978005
thanks for the (You), just as planned
>>
File: Falling Down.jpg (182KB, 1277x1803px) Image search: [Google]
Falling Down.jpg
182KB, 1277x1803px
>>54973062
Oh good! I'm glad to know that TotSK isn't universally lethal. It's designed to be easy enough if the PCs work as a team, think about traps, and learn the lessons it tries to teach.

They took on Xiximanter though? He's a lich! They're level 1! How'd they manage that?
>>54973255
Hooray!

Anyway, both versions are now up on my blog. The fancy one has background textures and things. coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/08/monster-menu-all-part-2-veins-of-earth.html

Hooray!
>>
File: mhm.gif (726KB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
mhm.gif
726KB, 420x236px
>>54974965
Everybody likes me. *smugness intensifies*

http://paimonssilvercity.blogspot.com/ stuff is pretty good. Not sure if I agree with the whole identity politics thing (it's 100% counter to my take on the subject), but the tables are worth stealing.
>>
>>54977964
Remember to keep in mind the the exploration and encumbrance rules. Make sure you have a wandering monster table/frequency and that you have strict timekeeping and general measurements of the dungeon.

Check out B1 or B2 usually.
>>
>>54977964
>What is a good beginner's dungeon (or dungeon idea?)
>>54955576
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-tomb-of-serpent-kings-megapost.html

It's free, people are running it a fair bit and seem to be enjoying it, and it does what you want it to do.

As >>54978172
said, keep a close eye on time and resources (inventory space, food, torches). Think of it as a kind of scuba dive, but with light instead of air.

Practice describing rooms, listen to a podcast (and write down things you like and dislike), and read the module or notes you use before game.
>>
Where do I get good looking gamemats for RPGs? I'm just getting into OSR now, and I have a bunch of miniatures and terrain from when I wargamed but I want a nice looking gamemat with checkers on it or whatever (I think 1" is the preferred size of square?).
>>
>>54974965
The background art physically hurts my eyes and I think your posts would read much more easily if you decided to bold or underline the numbers/title of each table. I like the "far realms fuckery" post and I'm likely gonna steal stuff from it to make monsters.

>>54978081
The final one looks pretty as fuck! One of the links in the post doesn't link out/isn't blue.
>>
>>54978277
I'm sure you can find something usable on amazon.
>>
File: Crest.png (284KB, 600x689px) Image search: [Google]
Crest.png
284KB, 600x689px
>>54978342
>One of the links in the post doesn't link out/isn't blue.
Fixed it!

And yeah, he did a great job. Just wait until you see the MMA1 version. Much more art.
>>
>>54978172
>>54978216
Thanks senpai, I appreciate it
>>
>>54978081
>They took on Xiximanter though? He's a lich! They're level 1! How'd they manage that?
Winning initiative several times in a row, being incredibly lucky with rolls, and a well timed paralysis spell. They did come up with good plans and thought well on their feet, but the dice gods sure were on their side as well.
They didn't destroy Xixi's phylactery though, which I assume exists somewhere.
>>
File: tumblr_oopieoBOP61spo62lo1_1280.png (378KB, 1280x601px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oopieoBOP61spo62lo1_1280.png
378KB, 1280x601px
>>54978495
>They didn't destroy Xixi's phylactery though, which I assume exists somewhere.

Yes it does. I didn't specify because I figure that any GM, after realizing this, will make sure Xiximanter comes back angry and fully charged, possibly at the head of a revivified snake-man army. In my tomb, his phylactery is in the centre of his old laboratory, on the other side of the chasm, right next to the Tomb of Phrax the Scourge of Men. Half snake-man, half giant, gold plated, made of murder. Physical incarnation of their god. Do not touch.
>>
>>54959065
Ha>>54959269
s anyone tried using the rune magic stuff from ten foot polemic in their games? I'm working on a colonial era inspired setting and kinda want to include it but I also don't want to have to think about its effects on the world at large. Thoughts?
>>
>>54978639
I've never heard of the rune magic stuff. Link?
>>
>>54973045
Isn't this Patrick Stuart doing some form of performance art?
>>
>>54978687
It's three articles so here's the Google search to link to all of them at once.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ten+foot+polemic+rune+magic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
File: Armello moonbeam.jpg (328KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Armello moonbeam.jpg
328KB, 1920x1080px
>Alternate magic system discussion again

Just face it, even if somebody did make a good non-vancian magic system people here still wouldn't use it. They'd prefer the tradition just because.
>>
>>54978959
Nah man, there was that guy with the dark souls one a while back that people liked a lot. You can do some pretty cool things with non-Vancian magic as long as you aren't doing non-Vancian magic just because you're too stupid to Vance your spells.

But in general Vancian magic just works so much better than every other system, particularly for OSR games.
>>
>>54978959
I once did up a magical system that used spell points. The more points you put into the spell, the stronger or weaker it'd be. Spell elements (fire, ice, force, etc), types (defensive, offensive, utility), and shapes (sphere, column, cone) all cost different amounts of points.

I was proud of it, but my players said juggling the different parts got too cumbersome and we went back to the default Vancian magic.
>>
>>54979016
Sounds vaguely similar to Hackmaster.
>>
>>54979005
>in general Vancian magic just works so much better than every other system
>>54979016
>my players said juggling the different parts got too cumbersome and we went back to the default Vancian magic.

These. Alternatives to Vancian always sound great in theory, but I've hardly ever seen one that didn't make the old TSR Vancian look like a shining beacon of playability and balance.
>>
File: 26FPy3QZQqGtDcrja.gif (1MB, 352x235px) Image search: [Google]
26FPy3QZQqGtDcrja.gif
1MB, 352x235px
>>54979167
>TSR Vancian look like a shining beacon of playability and balance.
I like the GLOG magic system.
>>
>>54978959
Say what you want, but I think the DCC magic is generally pretty good. I just wish there was some kind of abridged version of it somewhere.
>>
>>54979233
DCC magic is pretty exciting, varied, and occasionally hilarious, but "simple" or "functional" it ain't.
>>
File: Maleficar Tables.pdf (127KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Maleficar Tables.pdf
127KB, 1x1px
>>54979167
I like what DCC does. Everyone cries about the charts but my group has never had more fun using magic than with DCC. If you think individual charts are too much for you, check out what Last Gasp did here. You can cast as much as you like, but may miscast and fuck up.

Wonder & Wickedness does a pretty rad leveless magic system. Same with Raggi's VAM supplement.
>>
>>54979249
Its 2017. Everyone at your table has a phone or tablet. There is an app that will tell you what happens with their magic roll instantly without needing to reference the book.

https://purplesorcerer.com/crawler.php

You aren't Luddites.
>>
>>54966444
Why do all the 0e reprints remove the chainmail fighting capability table?

Fucking sucks.
>>
>>54979233
I feel like that generally depends on the player and their ability to read and remember the spells they've picked, but I guess that's a lame excuse. Personally I've gotten used to it to the point where I can sufficiently assume the power of a spell in the case the player somehow can't find the result within ten seconds after rolling.
>>
>Run DCC
>decide to use the Sailors on the Starless Sea module
>entire party wipes before they even get into the lower dungeon

What the fucking shit you were amply warned about being careful
>>
>>54979275

Wow sometimes when you cast a spell tentacles get summoned out of your butt lol or you explode xd

Such depth. Incredible magic. Wow.
>>
>>54979293
>You aren't Luddites.
I am.

Especially during games. There's nothing worse than a game where people are on their phones instead of paying attention.
>>
File: WIZARDS.jpg (175KB, 655x951px) Image search: [Google]
WIZARDS.jpg
175KB, 655x951px
>>54979379
>What the fucking shit you were amply warned about being careful
Sometimes you need to learn via failure. One group nearly lost 2 players in session 1, TPK'd in session 2, rerolled, nearly lost 1 player in session 3, and then definitely (horificially) lost 2 in session 4.

They are slowly learning.
>>
>>54979385
Just a suggestion. If you wanna play the same fucking game for 30 years, by all means.

>>54979394
No shit. Using your phone for an app during gameplay isn't even the same thing.
>>
>>54979293
>Everyone at your table has a phone or tablet.

Only if they want to get booted. Stow that shit, because I'm not waiting for Craig to catch up on what's been happening while he looked at his phone.
And if your RPG requires computer assistance to run it, then it belongs on a computer, not my table.
>>
>>54979430
It doesn't require it you dense fuck, it's something that helps streamline gameplay.
>>
>>54979504
I'm pretty sure that was hyperbole on the anon's part. It obviously doesn't require it, but it's the only way to get to a normal speed unless you're playing with system veterans.
>>
Skerples, have you ever actually run a game with those crazy taxation rules on your blog, and if so how did you avoid your players throwing a temper tantrum?
>>
>>54979419
Even having them out is a game-killer.
>>
>>54979350
was meant for >>54979249
>>
>>54979504
>Hey this is clunky.

>not if you use the app.

>I'm not using an app to play tabletop!

>You don't have to! It's optional.

Then we're right back to "it's clunky as hell."

At least with LotFP there's only one spell that grinds the game to a halt while you roll on tables.

>>54979529

Exactly. It's only "required" in that you need it to make the game run smoothly.
>>
File: 1494956560008.jpg (442KB, 2000x1087px) Image search: [Google]
1494956560008.jpg
442KB, 2000x1087px
>>54979531
>he thinks someone who runs an osr blog actually plays
>>
File: felipe-escobar-miss-iris.jpg (422KB, 1920x1091px) Image search: [Google]
felipe-escobar-miss-iris.jpg
422KB, 1920x1091px
>>54979531
Yes. It works. See: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-tomb-of-serpent-kings-session-7.html
The players "got" it and started working on more cunning ways to game the system for maximum benefit. They want to get into investment banking via a shell-noble-proxy setup. Or war financing.
>>54979638
I... write up my sessions and post them, in order to show that I practice what I preach?
>>
>>54965356
I think that with B/X being available on drivethrurpg the availability of it isn't an issue anymore however new module compatibility is still one.
>>
>>54979671
I'll be honest skerps I'd make you the exception just because (based only off your posting here) you come off as the sort of madman confident enough to put his group through rules like that.

Also your feudalism generator thing was very cool though it got a little incoherent come the second part
>>
File: 1434780094011.jpg (6MB, 3931x2595px) Image search: [Google]
1434780094011.jpg
6MB, 3931x2595px
>>54979698
It helps that they are new players and I'm used to all sorts of weird systems, from Apocalypse World to Amber Diceless to Fate Core, so stuff like this doesn't bother me at all. It's just a resource transaction. If you can sell it, it opens up a whole new section of play and makes the world feel real and interconnected.

Plus, you might get surprisingly positive results if you phrase it as "trading cash for power and influence in society", and then make it clear how that can be directly valuable (via hirelings, court invitations, rumours, land, etc.)
>>
>>54965350
>>54965371
I'd second the Moldvay/ Cook versions they are really well laid out and finding what you need after a good read is very intuitive. You could go with Mentzer versions but they were literally make for people who never played or heard of an RPG. That may sound like they should be good for a version of D&D but they really weren't.
>>
>>54979638

I play in my friends 5e campaign that is literally dark souls, like all the maps and enemies are taken from dark souls.

..It's hard to find a group, ok?
>>
>>54979815
>Plus, you might get surprisingly positive results if you phrase it as "trading cash for power and influence in society", and then make it clear how that can be directly valuable (via hirelings, court invitations, rumours, land, etc.)
Personally, I'd rather have this than taxes, myself.
>>
File: ness_by_hellstern-db83g73.jpg (61KB, 890x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ness_by_hellstern-db83g73.jpg
61KB, 890x1200px
>>54979881
>Personally, I'd rather have this than taxes, myself.
But that's what taxes are, my friend! That's the whole point. It's not just the GM taking away cash in exchange for nothing. It's taking away cash for participation in the grand mess that is feudalism. It's not a fine.
>>
>>54980013
>It's not a fine.
Then perhaps you shouldn't call it taxes?

Either way, I'd prefer for "trading cash for power and influence in society" to be slightly more voluntary.
>>
>>54980247
I reckon it's closer to "just stop struggling and maybe you'll find we can both enjoy it." You've got to pay taxes, BUT, if you understand howto turn it to your favor, it doesn't have to be JUST taxes.
>>
>>54980302
>I reckon it's closer to "just stop struggling and maybe you'll find we can both enjoy it."

Say that to a lot of girls, do you?
>>
>>54980349
Only the ones I'm not married to.
>>
>>54980247
>Then perhaps you shouldn't call it taxes?
You're... not really into this whole "economics" thing, are you?
>>
>>54980543
Let me know when my yearly "donations" to the IRS mean I get a snazzy noble title and land.
>>
>>54980594
How about Roads and a public education system instead?
>>
File: Libertarian Police.png (317KB, 1348x1243px) Image search: [Google]
Libertarian Police.png
317KB, 1348x1243px
>>54980594
>Let me know when my yearly "donations" to the IRS mean I get a snazzy noble title and land.
You live in unimaginable personal luxury compared to the richest people of the medieval era. Taxes pay for a fair bit of that. I'd take roads, power, and water treatment over a noble title that comes with more obligations than benefits (in many cases) and farmland I can't sell or transfer easily.
>>
>>54980594
>>
File: whoosh-point.jpg (18KB, 386x386px) Image search: [Google]
whoosh-point.jpg
18KB, 386x386px
>>54980672
>>54980683
>>54980695
>>
>>54980594
Hey, it works for Sealand.
>>
Skerples could you please stop making these threads about you?

When somebody asks about a game mechanic, a good starter dungeon, or anything else would you just let it slide occasionally?

I'm sorry but I can't accept this much egotism and watching my only general fade into elitism and circle jerking. Please start your own thread instead of hijacking this one, please. I'm trying to be nice here.
>>
File: 1267673783541.jpg (174KB, 900x819px) Image search: [Google]
1267673783541.jpg
174KB, 900x819px
>>54981184
>When somebody asks about a game mechanic, a good starter dungeon, or anything else would you just let it slide occasionally?
Nah.

People ask for help. Most of the time, it's people like>>54977964
. New to the thread, possibly even new to OSR games in general. As long as people keep saying 'thanks" and asking questions, I'll be around.

If I can help, I will. That's why I wrote this stuff. Plus, I wasn't in this thread until: >>54972739
You had 23 hours to get shit done and, amazingly, shit got done! And then I posted some stuff, and answered some questions, and /shit still got done./
>>
>>54981184
Get over yourself. It's free content and topical.
>>
>>54981389
Blog discussion belongs on the blogs themselves. This isn't /our skerp resource/.
>>
>>54980759
>>54981184
Honestly, this time around you're coming off as bigger dicks than Skerples, and that's kind of an accomplishment
>>
>>54981184
lol
>>
File: 0DmW6.gif (837KB, 480x218px) Image search: [Google]
0DmW6.gif
837KB, 480x218px
>>54981418
>Honestly, this time around you're coming off as bigger dicks than Skerples, and that's kind of an accomplishment
>>54981415
Title for next thread?
Title for next thread.

Anyway, there's always going to be a bias that I'm dominating threads because I mostly post in the late evenings when the thread is really slow, and not at all during the day when it's really fast. It's just how it goes. I'm resigned.
>>
>>54981415
Just call him a namefag and move on, there's no point acting like a whiny child. Maybe even report him for off-topic if you feel that strongly and let the mods decide.

But meta-posting and crying won't endear anyone to your cause.
>>
Saw this on G+, thought it might be interesting to post here too.

>There's a monster in the swamp. As you near Fenlap village, everybody gets tight-lipped. Barthold figures it out first: they don't want you to kill the monster.

>What's the monster?
>>
>>54960085
>bedbug vampire easier to get rid of than actual bedbugs

truly even the most brutal of osr is wistful fantashy escapism
>>
>>54981418
I was having a nice discussion with Skerps, I don't know what you're on about.
>>
>>54981531

It's a lord of flies and biting insects. While horrible to be near it, it attracts most of the insects during the year and keeps the swamp dwellers from getting bitten all the time.

It's a 'lady of a lake' situation, but a really ugly lady with logs for hair. She gave one of the village founders a magic item once, and they wouldn't want her to die.

There's a giant goddamn snake in them there everglades. The snake lays a big egg once a year and then forgets it since she is very old. The snake has mild healing properties and grabbing the egg is considered a right of passage fir young boys and is celebrated by feasting.
>>
File: 1481536061506.png (315KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1481536061506.png
315KB, 512x512px
>When you have a massive Original Content bomb you just finished thats ready to drop on the next thread
>>
Why the stigma against "DIY D&D"?
>>
File: 1503154823769.jpg (188KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1503154823769.jpg
188KB, 600x900px
>>54981966
>>When you have a massive Original Content bomb you just finished thats ready to drop on the next thread
Any hints?
>>54981929
>It's a lord of flies and biting insects. While horrible to be near it, it attracts most of the insects during the year and keeps the swamp dwellers from getting bitten all the time.
Plus, you know, massive ecosystem boom. Frogs year round! Delicious fat frogs.
>a really ugly lady with logs for hair.
Logs for hair?
>>
File: 1483253572680.jpg (612KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1483253572680.jpg
612KB, 1024x1536px
I cant decide if LotFP or BFRPG is the superior clone.
>>
>>54982090

What does BFRPG do that I couldn't get by just buying an old B/X and flipping the AC? Like I would bother
I get what LotFP's selling points are, but not BFRPG.
>>
>>54982090
>I cant decide if LotFP or BFRPG is the superior clone.
Because neither of those is the best clone, as ACKS is better than both
>>
>>54982211
>Buying old B/X for $40+
>BFRPG is $5 for print.

Plus the race/class separation, free supplements on the website, etc make it better than B/X to me.
>>
>>54982295

He didn't say, "the best clone," dude, he said "the superior clone" meaning which is the better of those two. If English is not your first language, then I'd understand.

>>54982328

So it's cheap, I suppose that's fine. But race/class separation? Ewww. I guess if you're into that sort of thing and don't want to AD&D or Labyrinth Lord plus AEC, but no thanks.

So LotFP beats it, at least for me. It has excellent encumbrance rules, nice gun rules, and the silver standard is a houserule I use all over the place now. Plus some of its modules are really tempting, even though I don't usually use modules.
>>
>>54982365
Changing a G to an S is your houserule? lol.
>>
>>54982394

Yes, and gold pieces exist and are worth 50 silver. Also you have to convert treasure in old modules, swapping out gold to silver, silver to copper, and then dividing the copper by 10. Or just leaving it, so the copper is even more plentiful and heavy.

It's a simple houserule, but I like it a lot.
>>
>>54982426
LotFP's conversion is literally just making the term GP into SP. There is no conversion for old shit aside from the first letter.

Your B/X module says its 300GP? That's 300SP in LotFP.
>>
>>54982365
BFRPG's race/class separation has little impact on its gameplay, with halflings and dwarves you get the "original" ones by making a fighter of that race, and elves get special "combination" classes which can be either a fighter/magic user as per b/x or a thief/magic user. It pretty much takes the best of both worlds
>>
>>54982365
"I don't like race/class because of the extra 30 seconds of char gen."

Race as class is fine, sure, but there is no reason a demi human shouldn't be able to choose a class.
>>
>>54981977
DIY DND is like indy biocomics. Everyone tries so hard to be unique and artistic that the whole movement collapses into a boring morass.

>>54982606
>there is no reason a demi human shouldn't be able to choose a class.
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>54982606

Don't stuff words in my mouth, it makes you look like an asshole.

And there's a damn good reason: Those are human paths. Dwarves don't build towers and put on star spangled robes and become wizards, nor do elves. They each have their own mystical traditions, thank you very much.
And what's more, you wouldn't catch their culture's equivalents shirking their duty to their people and running around with a bunch of good-for-nothing humans robbing graves, of all things. The elves would find it shameful, the dwarves dishonorable. Only their rare misfits and castoffs would stoop to such, and they're adequately represented by the base racial classes.
>>
>>54982719
You're canonizing your view of demi-humans with their gameplay potential. That's garbage. Why shouldn't a Dwarf be a thief? An Elf a Necromancer? A Halfling a Cleric?

Boring pigeon-holing. Its the real life equivalent of saying "Ok you can be Jewiush but only a merchant, Black but only a thief, Asian but only a monk, Native American but only a ranger, white but only a Barbarian, etc"
>>
How would you classify the spell indexes in ACKs and its Player Companion book? I'm trying to group them together in seperate schools of magic. Like spells good for espionage, or utility and communication, or battle magic stuff, etc.
>>
File: this conversation is over.gif (933KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
this conversation is over.gif
933KB, 500x343px
>>54982807

>your opinions are garbage!
>your opinions are like racism!

Ah, so you really are a miserable asshole, it wasn't just a mistaken impression. Nevermind.
>>
>>54982807
>if you don't allow race-and-class you're a racist

hmn really cooks my noodle
>>
>>54982858
It's not that your opinions are like racism you twat, that is an analogy. You just decided that whittling down the potential of available characters is better than the exception. It makes the end result predictable and boring. Why the fuck should a race in a world be pigeon-holed into on single role, aside from your view that other roles are "human-paths"
>>
>>54982719
I like how BFRPG does race-and-class because it allows the demihumans to keep their special flavor while also removing some of the arbitrariness in only letting them ever be one thing.

I mean, yeah, we can say that no elf cleric would EVER, under any situation, work with an adventuring party, but what does that add to the game in actual play, rather than behind-the-screen musings and rationalizations to explain an old mechanic from a in-universe standpoint (even if it is an iconic one)?
>>
>>54982922

The mechanic is based on archetypes from fiction, and I prefer strong archetypes to weak ones.
>>
>>54982917
>>54982917
>that is an analogy
It's a fucking terrible analogy on par with /v/ sandwich artist analogies.

>Why the fuck should a race in a world be pigeon-holed into on single role, aside from your view that other roles are "human-paths"
Because he wants to. Because it's a humanocentric campaign. Because he doesn't want demihumans to be Star Trek aliens but actually strange. Because the gods did it. Because they don't have REAL souls so the can't make those choices. Et cetera.

You race-and-class cucks are annoying with your one true way rhetoric.
>>
>>54982993
>You race-and-class cucks are annoying with your one true way rhetoric.

While championing the opposite.
>>
>>54982953
>>54982993
Then there is no need for people to bare teeth and scream at each other if everyone is readily willing to admit it comes down to personal opinion and circumstances.
>>
>Yes, clearly, this thread is much better when Skerples isn't around
>>
>>54977316
>stop using this image, LL uses descending AC
So does every other system on there. It's a *conversion* table.
>>
>>54983056

That's what we were doing, up until racist analogy guy butted in and started being a dick.
>>
New, now with more (embed):
>>54983275
>>54983275
>>54983275
>>
>>54976506
>Har någon av er testat Svärd och Svartkonst?
Näe. Jag har i princip struntat i det för det verkar inte så bra.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.