[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy Flight 40K rpg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Curious how everyone feels about this rpg.
I bought Only War and Rogue Trader a few years ago and tried running an Only War campaign with some friends.
I think it does the setting justice but I ended up feeling like the rules were ridiculously convoluted (might be inexperience with the rule set tho). The combat took forever and the power disparity between the lowly lasgun and the other weapons feels just bonkers.
We did have a pretty fun battle where their Ogryn got on top of a rebel Rhino (not Chaos Marines, basically had the Alpha legion supplying a local uprising on a agri-world) and pull open the top hatch. I tried to throw him off by running the Rhino in reverse while his party looked on in amazement but after a couple rounds he passed the strength test and ripped it open and tossed a nade inside. Fun stuff to narrate no doubt.
Anyway, the campaign kind of ran out of steam after a few weekends because I couldn't close the power disparity gap without making the party op or making the enemy op. Maybe this was a bias on my part and I should have been more aggressive at killing their characters off? That aside however, the real thing that killed it was the mix of hyper detailed rules in specific situations and really vague rules in others. As the GM I tried to buff that out by making quick rulings to keep stuff moving along but after a few nights it started causing the couple "rules lawyers" to start questioning my decisions (you know the type) due to how convoluted stuff was getting in the middle of battles.
I lost interest in the rules after that but I really enjoyed the setting a lot and want to try another, but I'm interested in any thoughts and tips from anyone who has more experience with the system for the 40K rpg.
I know the game is discontinued but I got the pds for the expansions and still have the core rules and dm guide.
>>
Count ammo.

Unless Only War changed something, Lasguns are super strong in prolonged fights.
>>
>>54958810
Didn't change. I did count ammo but maybe in my haste to keep the game flowing I wasn't aggressive enough. Good idea.
>>
I don't remember the Fantasy Flight games being convoluted with rules. What were the problems?

Also I am personally a RAW guy, so if the players point out something I'll roll with what the book says (unless it completely breaks the session for something real stupid). Alternatively I'll take a brief break to work around the rule.
>>
>>54958828

I know that in Dark Heresy, Autorifles go empty after 3 full-auto bursts. In any sort of prolonged fight they are going to run dry. Also you can limit how many extra magazines they have (cut off from supplies).

Dark Heresy has a hard time justifying lasguns since the game is mostly investigation. As such there are rarely any more than a couple of fights in a session. Only War seems perfect to play up that difference in the weaponry.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.