[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer 40k Things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: e75.jpg (33KB, 413x569px) Image search: [Google]
e75.jpg
33KB, 413x569px
Me and a few buds have been playing some tabletop games for awhile and have board-gamed for plenty of years from Heroquest to the new Dark Souls board game. We finally have been thinking about figuring out and maybe start playing some W40k however all all have 0 clue about where to begin. I know how expensive that gets so we might play it on Tabletop Simulator (I am sure they have it there) if we don't feel like shelling out thousands of dollars for an army of models. So I guess we all have a couple of questions and if anyone could assist, we all would greatly appreciate it.

1: We would need codexes, and I have been searching for a while with nothing to show for it. 8th, 7th, and so on but nothing specific for many of the people we want to play for fun. Might anyone have a collection of codexes (codex-ies?) for current 40k gaming?

2: Any newbie tips to start to understand the game in general? I have been flipping through the "battle primer" which is basically the rulebook lite it looks like and barely explains anything (such as AP on a weapon or how that works).

We are all gonna simply play for fun as I have been wanting to play Sisters of Battle and a few of my buds looking to run Nids or Blood Ravens. All in all, thanks for glancing and possibly helping some 40k newbies. And remember, The Emperor Protects.
>>
>>54958450
8th edition is very easy to get into. The actual rules can be found on 10-some pages.

The only annoying thing is that model cost (and wargear costs) were moved to a table at the end of every codex instead of at the unit datasheet.
>>
>>54958518
Ah, alright, so look for 7th edition then for the most part. Alrighty, sounds like a plan. Is 7th edition what is used currently? So if we swing by the nearest 40k store and play a round we won't like complete idiots with some old book or something lol.

Also, thank you for such a quick response :)
>>
File: 1479445203407.png (339KB, 811x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479445203407.png
339KB, 811x720px
Im willling to help you buddy as i actually am qualified here.

First Tabletop Simulator is good for getting a feel for the game,but im going to tell you nothing beats actually playing at a real table with real terrain peices and rolling dice.

Also painting and customzing "yur dudes" is really fun too

The codex are all house in a consistant thread on /tg/ the 40k general has those books avalaible in the thread.

(i will say Sisters of Battle is a exepensive hard to collect army not intended for beginners at all , Might i suggest in stead Custodians / sister of silence)

next i will say that the rules is really easy to learn acutally

in the Rulebook the big one the entier rules section is just like 8 pages long. and thats pretty much all you need to know on playing the game besides (building a battle forged army, Mission scenarios, terrairn rules)

and between you and your buddies dont be afraid to create some house rules if the rules as written are not to your liking,

For starting the actually plastic hobby might i suggest havily on finding a starter set and buying that. one with two armies in it

i hope more respond to your thread i like threads like this and when i ask questions most times they go unanswered
>>
>>54958561
>Is 7th edition what is used currently?

No, 8th edition is where its at
>>
>>54958561
No senpai,do not look for 7th edition 8th edition is out and your nearest war gamming spot will have these cheap books called Indexs

how it works
"if your army has a codex use the codex that is currently out for 8th"
"if your army dose not have codex love yet use the index that has your army featured in it"
>>
>>54958596
Oh? I will have to go digging around for the 40k general then, my apologies for not seeing it and posting this then lol. I will also glance at the "Sisters of Silence" which sound pretty cool too. (I like the idea of a all fanatical woman army). And yea, we might spend a few hundred on the actual stuff, but we kinda wanna give it a small start before seeing how we wanna proceed. I know its a very large "hobby" of sorts. But really, thank you for taking your time to help answer my questions :)

>>54958606
I see :)

>>54958629
Alrighty!

I suppose I will need to find the more thicker rule book that explains the more finer things like AP and such?
>>
OP still, I am sorry I completely did not notice that the "Indexes" and "codexes" are basically the same for multitudes of different armies.

>>54958518
And thank you for showing that to me, it has the indexes too as well as the rules. For some reason it didnt show the rulebook first time I glanced and only saw the 3 codexes and presumed they only had those 3 books out totally for 8th.
>>
If you aren't going to play with models find another game. 40k as a game is pretty average, what makes it awesome is "your dudes". Painting and modelling is a huge aspect of the hobby.

The codexs are cheap and you get a few variety of armies in the same book. I'd recommend just jumping in and playing it
>>
>>54959354
We do plan on certainly collecting the models, well at least I would like to. Many look wonderful and I enjoy painting models. (Heroquest and Dark Souls the board game got me into that. Along with Super Dungeon Explore)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.