[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of the Five Rings General: Post Kiku Matsuri

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 291
Thread images: 36

File: display_TogashiYokuniP.jpg (717KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
display_TogashiYokuniP.jpg
717KB, 720x960px
The Kiku Matsuri is completed! Dragon have won the Emperor's Favor, with an impressive total of 8 being elevated to Hatamoto! Though the Crane have won a most glorious victory as Champions of the Kiku Matsuri, the weekend belongs to the Dragon! The Great Clans each have their roles, the stage is set, the stakes are known. We look now to the future. Who will be victorious at Winter Court? Who will take the Shogunate?
>>
>>54957595
>The Great Clans each have their roles
Not the Unicorn judging by that hatomoto spread
>>
>>54957625
On day 2 (friday) the top 2 of each clan became Hatamoto if they were not already. Unicorn has 2 Hatamoto exactly. Those two chose the Role of their Clan.
>>
>>54957595
So what do crane get for winning today's tournament, Anything?
>>
>>54957595
How did the Hatamotos vote? I believe the Crane was supportive of the Meishodo being taught? As a way to keep the Unicorn as possible political ally, specially against the Lion?
>>
>>54957687
The winner of the tournament gets some kinda card prize. Winter Court is the first tournament where the winner gets a story prize.
>>
>>54957691
We know that investigation won the vote. Some people have reported that it was Phoenix and Lion vs everyone else. No proof has been given.
>>
>>54957691
Iirc it was Phoenix lion v everyone else but that was just one anon saying that last thread with no evidence as far as I know
>>
>>54957691
It was reported as 14-8 in favor of investigation, with the Lion and the Phoenix being those 8 votes for banning. This was never confirmed, but it makes sense.
>>
So considering how LCG focused this and the last thread were this might be out of place, but which is the most interesting non shugenja Phoenix clan school
>>
>>54958250
The threads are LCG-focused because there's no companion RPG to go with it yet so we can only talk about the older editions.

That being said, I'm a fan of the Kuni. Creeplords but in a science (not SCIENCE!) way.
>>
>>54958351
Wew, I totally read that as "non-Phoenix shugenja school", rip me. In that case, I guess the henshin are non-shugenja enough?
>>
>>54958250

The Henshin are pretty interesting. They're a super-secretive order of monks (we don't even know if they exist in the new canon) who are part of the Asako family. They follow a philosophy that involves using riddles the elements into helping them out, and their master don't age and tend to become minor gods when they finally get around to dieing. Their philosophy was to Asako by Shiba, who didn't want Isawa and his people finding out Shiba's last secret. The Isawa know that Shiba taught Asako something that they never learned, but they don't know what it was. The Isawa are understandably unhappy that they have something that they haven't been able to find out for a thousand years right in front.

I like the Henshin because they show another perspective on the Rokugani religious worldview, because they make it so the Asako have more going on, and because they contribute to the endless Phoenix infighting. I really hope they come back in the new canon.

>>54958351

That's a non-Phoenix-Clan shugenja school. The Kuni are pretty great, though. Creepy guys in face paint who dissect monsters to scientifically study their enemies.
>>
>>54958484

I meant "Using riddles to trick the elements into helping them out".
>>
>>54958352
>>54958418
It's okay man. The kuni are cool though
>>
>>54958535
I accidentally liked to a different ther for the first one
>>
>>54958250
Shiba Bushi in 3e was a fun as hell school, but it has been nerfed pretty hard both in techniques and in that polearms are shitty.
>>
>>54958484
The funny thing about the henshin is that while the Isawa yell about heresy and so on, they have a literally heretic cult right in the middle of their clan. The henshin deny among many other things the ability of the Emperor to enthrone Fortunes, which is one of the reasons why they keep their stuff really down low and retire the lucky few that make it to immortalhood from common life.
>>
>>54958568
I've run a few long form 4e games which inevitably have a Shiba. I've never noticed them to seem to drag in effectiveness or anything
>>
Do we have any idea what the Emperor's Favor actually does?
>>
>>54958682

The Dragon have the favour means that the decorations at Winter Court will be Dragon-themed.
>>
>>54958723
>Dragon themed decoration

So there won't be decorations?
>>
>>54958751
Rope belts for everyone!
>>
>>54958751
The Dragon aren't *all* ascetics.
>>
Do the individual clans have accents when speaking? Do the crane have the equivalent of a posh British accent? Do the sparrow sound like hillbillies? What clan has what accent?
>>
>>54958850
Unicorns have an archaic accent because the Rougani they spoke drifted a lot less over their absence than that spoken back home. With Moto this is sometimes coupled with the accent left over from when they spoke their own language.
>>
I just thought of something interesting. With the new fiction Iuchi Shahai is sent to the Seppun to teach them about meishodo. Daigotsu was one of the children of Hantei XXXVIII. Having them meet and become lovers would not be too over the top. Then they plot to remove Satorii (the imperial heir). It would be quite interesting if instead of the Scorpion Coup we have a coup engineered by Daigotsu and Shahai.
>>
>>54958723
Given Horvath's boner for them, I'm a little suspicious
>>
>>54958898
I'm still thinking she makes a Meishodo Sword. Since Meishodo is inferred as Djinn Magic, it replaces the Bloodswords, and thus Ambition.

She could give it to Ishikawa, who'll go nuts and the story choice would be reinstituting the magistrates.

OR

She gives it to Shoju, for Muh Coup.
>>
>>54958962
>Djinn Magic

Meishodo still seems to be magic based on invoking the true Names of things. I think the djinn in Smokeless Fire is just one of those things a Unicorn happened to learn the Name of and bound. It's not an entirely djinn-based system.
>>
>>54958999
So if you know the true name of the Djinn, and give the talisman to someone who doesn't know the true name of the Djinn, what happens?
>>
>>54958962
Shahai was never a creator. That was always Yajinden and Kokujin's thing. So her forging Ambition seems a little out there.
>>
>>54959070
I suspect the talisman holds them by having the true name on it, so it's probably a moot point.
>>
>>54958898
Does Sotorii still have THE VOICE in this incarnation? In 1E he's just this kid that is really afraid to go to sleep and also likes the Unicorn warhorses a lot, before shit starts going down.
>>
So having the timeline resets from the pre-coup,things will unfold the same more or less?
Or perhaps even the coup will be diverse or not happening?
Someone said anything?
>>
>>54959168

Things are probably going to change a lot from the original timeline. There probably won't be a Scorpion Clan coup, and the Hantei dynasty may not end with a coup at all. (I assume that Hantei line is still goint to end during the story, but that's my personal assumption.) Things are already quite different, and we've only had one story prize so far.
>>
>>54959168
It's highly doubtful things will play out the same, because it would be incredibly boring and uneventful to have the new game just be a rehash of the old one.
>>
>>54959205
ah,what happened for now in the plot?
>>
>>54959448
Well, Bayushi Shoju seems to be against the coup, as he was the primary actor in it, it already shows how different it is.
>>
>>54959448
The only plot thing that has been resolved is whether or not meishodo would be declared heresy. If not declared heresy then the Unicorn have to share it with the Hidden Guard. The vote was that the Unicorn Share meishodo with the Hidden Guard.
>>
So I asked this in the thread before last, but what does your character's katana look like?

i promise that I will get the joke this time
>>
>>54959565
To be fair here, the whole reason he went into a coup was because he got a prophecy that the Hantei would spawn Fu Leng.
>>
>>54959597
Poor, sweet anon, there's a new joke now. Everyone's katana looks straight.
>>
>>54959448

Crane lands are after getting hit by a tsunami, and their paddy fields are ruined, so their economy is not doing very well. Lion and Crane are fighting over Toshi Ranbo again. Dragon birth rates have plummeted and they've had to start adopting commoner children to keep their numbers up. Meanwhile, a Shinseist sect that really doesn't like samurai is getting popular up north. The Phoenix have outlawed that sect, and are demanding that the Dragon ban it if they want help from the Phoenix. The Unicorn champ was going to marry a Lion, but found out that the Lion in question was married, and was going to divorce his wife to marry her, so she broke off the marriage, guaranteeing that the Unicorn and Lion will go to war. The Phoenix have demanded that the Imperial court do something about the Unicorn's meishodo, and that gave us our first story decision.

The Phoenix and Lion players voted to ban the weird gaijin magic, while the Dragon, Scorpion, Crane, and Crab all voted to have the Unicorn teach it to the Hidden Guard. (No Unicorn players did well enough to vote, ironically.) So in the latest fiction, Seppun Ishikawa has demanded that the Unicorn send a promising young shugenja who also happens to be the Iuchi daimyo's daughter to Otosan Uchi as a combined teacher and hostage. Her name's Iuchi Shahai.
>>
File: crane gonna give it to ya.jpg (62KB, 536x516px) Image search: [Google]
crane gonna give it to ya.jpg
62KB, 536x516px
>>
>>54959724
Keep that gross shit in either 2013 or facebook. Not here.
>>
>>54959745
Yo don't diss our waifu, bitch
>>
>>54959668
>The Phoenix and Lion players voted to ban the weird gaijin magic, while the Dragon, Scorpion, Crane, and Crab all voted to have the Unicorn teach it to the Hidden Guard.

Only the Lion players voted for a ban. The Phoenix players abstained because there were no Unicorn votes, and the felt inclined to keep impartibility. There were also some Scorp and Crab players who voted ban.

Also, I'm hearing rumours about Crab having a hard time because their players were shit.
>>
>>54958568
>>54958593
Shiba in 4e are pretty great Void burners. They have a really great combo with themselves. Two high ranked Shiba on the same side can spend a ludicrous amount of void for many rounds in a row.
>>
>>54959876
Where are you getting this info?
>>
>>54959567
Which honestly probably doesn't mean anything. The Seppun are an extremely traditional family, so they're unlikely to utilize meishodo very much once they understand it enough to counter it, and they have absolutely no reason to spread it further.
>>
>>54960001

The issue isn't that it's being taught to the Hidden Guard, it's who's doing the teaching.
>>
>>54959954
Their tech only gives them 1 void point a round during reaction if someone else used a void point during combat, and only twice per skirmish. It's nice, but it isn't a void battery.
>>
>>54958250
> most interesting non shugenja Phoenix clan school
Next question, what's the most interesting Crane clan duellist school?
>>
>>54960306
>what's the most interesting Crane clan duellist school?
Kakita, baby
>>
>>54960063
If the other person has the same tech, they pass the points back and forth. Most combats are done in less than 4 rounds anyway, so two Shiba with 3 void or more can pretty much use void every single round and then meditate to get them back as soon as they have a bit of time.
>>
>>54960306
Dude, all the cool swordspeople have white hair. Fulgrim, Sephiroth, that captain from Bleach.
>>
File: wEFQbDN[1].jpg (425KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wEFQbDN[1].jpg
425KB, 1920x1440px
>>54960494
>>
Managed to get 10 people in line at the FFG booth and bought 20 cores. Keeping 3 and selling the rest on Ebay for $120 a pop. Gotta love FFG's early releases.
>>
>>54961489
It's hard to imagine anyone being so stupid as to buy a single box for 120 that they can't even use to play against their friends. They'd need 3 boxes at least.
>>
>>54961553
Already sold all of them. a lot of people bought 3 at a time.
>>
>>54961580
I hate this gay earth
>>
>>54959657
Missed the tournament, what's this about straight katanas?
>>
>>54962126
It's from the Unicorn story
>>
>>54962144

Katanas, in comparison to the scimitars they were used to, seem like straight blades to them.
>>
>>54962160
Katanas are basically as straight as a sword can get if you assume that swords need some curve to be chopping weapons.
>>
File: street-line-painter-drun1k[1].jpg (46KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
street-line-painter-drun1k[1].jpg
46KB, 550x600px
>>54962126
>>54962144
>>54962160
>>54962195
>>
>>54958484

Henshin are the physical manifestation of Someisa's Secret and Shinsei's Secret.
>>
>>54962126
Also, in a previous thread, I asked what the katanas of anons looked like. An anon said his was round, spiky and iron. He ment his was a tetsubo. I just shrugged and thought that anon wasn't an expert.
>>
>>54957714
>>54957721
>>54957752
I made that post; each hatamoto that voted had a chance to give a short speech to the crowd and all the Lion and Phoenix hatamotos were in favor of banning. It is true that the actual vote was a closed ballot which will probably never be posted, but given their speeches the 14-8 vote is as good as we'll get. My friends seem to think there was a Lion who dissented, so maybe it was 15-7.

Also, people calling three role choices fake in last thread is funny. Roles were chosen Friday night, before the top cut, because it's possible that nobody of a clan makes it to cut to do the choice. Thankfully that didn't happen though, as even unicorn had two people in the cut.
>>
File: Monkey_Man_4.jpg (53KB, 285x218px) Image search: [Google]
Monkey_Man_4.jpg
53KB, 285x218px
Alright, some thoughts of mine as i am still relatively 'new' to L5R ( started playing the game near mid Ivory Edition ) but have enough experience and lore knowledge to have complaints.

First off, i want FFG to tell us everything that has happened in the empire up until now. While its largely trivial for 99% of players i want to know if everything up until this point in the lore is predominantly unchanged ( same Kami fights at the dawn of the empire? Do the five races that predate humanity still exist in the lore? Are the Gaijin empires still the same [Senpet, Yodotai, Meranae, Thrane]? ).

Direct bitching about what we know. Overall im very happy with the marketing for the game, L5R was never really about crazy card quality so its good that the game has a low monetary entry fee. I am especially excited to know that tournament (Kotei) winners will be able to influence the story-line. I have never been very competitive at tournaments as i cared little for the meager prizes they give. But im absolutely going to go full out in order to win every major tournament i can in order to have a lasting legacy with this game ( dont fuck it up FFG ).

The main issue, Meishodo. 'Name Magic' eh? Hmm, now where have i heard that before... oh yeah, my beloved Ratlings and their name magic. I get it that this is supposed to be 'gaijin' and correlates to Djinn, which has me interested, but it has me far more frightened that FFG might not give any shits about the Nezumi ( ratlings ) or Naga, and their identities might be wholly underplayed. I want to give FFG the benefit o the doubt, perhaps eventually Ratlings and Naga will come into the game with crazy new identities.

Only time will tell.
>>
>>54964663
Meishodo being special name magic is pre-FFG.
>>
>>54964663
>'Name Magic' eh? Hmm, now where have i heard that before... oh yeah, my beloved Ratlings and their name magic.
A significant portion of L5R revolves around name. Lying Darkness and consuming reality through unnaming things, the ability celestial beings have to empower others (from Sun & Moon literally naming everything in creation to the Kami naming the families, or Hantei raising mortals to the status of fortunes), oni being given someone's name, etc.
>>
File: 1501635729559.jpg (70KB, 607x572px) Image search: [Google]
1501635729559.jpg
70KB, 607x572px
>>54964663
I want Mantis, Ronin, Brotherhood of Shinsei, Naga, Shadowlands, Nezumi, and minor clan alliance decks to go and stay gone
>>
>>54965067
Nezumi name magic is also very different from Meishodo. Meishodo uses the name of the thing to command that thing-- the name is the tool. Nezumi name magic affects the names themselves in order to invoke effects-- the names are the target.
>>
>>54965343
It's all 'very different'. The point is, there's an underlying theme to power in the L5R setting, and name is it.
>>
>>54961489
Fuck off and fuck you you scalping little bitch
>>
>>54965753
We must learn the true name of ningen-do itself
>>
>>54967242

This sounds like a job for the Isawa! (cue the entire Shiba family facepalming in unison again)
>>
>>54967628
There is a reason why the Shiba the best Yojimbos in Rokugan. Their patience is limitless.
>>
>>54967971
They will do their best.
>>
>>54958723
Not just decorations but promos too. Extended art Niten Master, Let Go, Tattooed Wanderer when?
>>
>>54967971
They are a parent patiently explaining for a thousand years to their curious precocious baby that the stove will burn them every time they touch it.
>>
Are there news about the mantis?
>>
>>54969144
No
>>
>>54969144
A man named Yoritomo was mentioned leading a pirate gang that was messing with the Crane. We don't know if there is a Mantis clan.
>>
File: 0f1472b28c92da571b049225eb2aabac.jpg (385KB, 846x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0f1472b28c92da571b049225eb2aabac.jpg
385KB, 846x1200px
>>54968228
Ganbarimasu.
>>
>>54970397
My clan champion can't be this cute
>>
>>54970397
Now I want a Shiba waifu
>>
The Lion hatamoto is selling his stone cut role card in ebay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322662768061?_mwBanner=1

Most honorable clan.
>>
>>54972562
I'd sell it too. That shit is gaudy and I prefer the regular role cards. It isn't like trying to sell a trophy. It's a game piece.
>>
So what roles are the clans locked into now?
>>
I have to lol at the idiots selling LCG boxes on ebay for $120 and the idiots buying them for that price when 1. they won't have anyone to play with, and 2. they'll be able to get three boxes for that price in a month.

Fucking retards.
>>
File: e1c17589ef2701d7fd23ed25f2834fcf.jpg (386KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
e1c17589ef2701d7fd23ed25f2834fcf.jpg
386KB, 848x1200px
>>54959724
Hotaru does not need gaudy accoutrements to shine.
>>
>>54973285
>crane
yes she does
>>
>>54972748
In order of picks:

Scorpion - Seeker of Air
Phoenix - Seeker of Void
Dragon - Keeper of Void
Lion - Keeper of Earth
Crab - Keeper of Air
Crane - Keeper of Water
Unicorn - Keeper of Fire

Note that the Crane hatamoto that picked the role is not the guy who won the top cut. Nobody really understands why he picked it over fire.
>>
>>54973332
Water gives you a better defense. It can unbow your guys so they can block, and it can bow potential attackers. It also incentivizes you to stop your opponent from taking the ring.

I think fire is better, but given that the game will be "out" for only 1 month before Winter Court, it's probably the clans don't pick their best roles too quickly.
>>
>>54973332
>Note that the Crane hatamoto that picked the role is not the guy who won the top cut. Nobody really understands why he picked it over fire.

Probably to keep it free for pick during Winter Court.
>>
>>54958464

>Ebay, Amazon, Abebooks, Noble Knight, wholesalegaming, patriotgames, barnes and noble.
>Otherwise check your local gaming stores, see if they just have them lying around in discount bins or in the back, likely to find one or two 15$ buck books that way.

Sadly, I dont actually have that many local stores. I know of two in the city near me and that's it - for a city of millions, its a bit pathetic really.
That said, I didnt know about a couple of those sites you listed, so i'll be keeping an eye on those.
Thanks anon!
>>
>>54973504
>Probably to keep it free for pick during Winter Court.
They're going to have to beat the Lion at worlds, then, as Lion loves that shit too. Toturi can do the same 'bring an honored keeper initiate back' bullshit as Hotaru can. Plus they benefit from it just as much.
>>
>>54974041
>implying that Phoenix, with their superior SoV role won't win worlds by default and pick up KoF.
>>
File: elgatobustamante.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
elgatobustamante.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>54965149
I WANT TO CUM INSIDE SUCY!!!!!
>>
When well the card game go on sale?
>>
>>54975177
street date is oct 5th
>>
Does anyone know when the rpg is coming out?
>>
>>54975633

When does Genesys release?
>>
>>54975734
I thought that was out of stock, and ffg just had add and forgot about it. I don't know.
>>
>>54975734
Likely be on sale at worlds.
>>
File: medical opium.png (431KB, 536x516px) Image search: [Google]
medical opium.png
431KB, 536x516px
>>
>>54979014
Do you think this basic shit is funny?
>>
File: 1390805791567.jpg (137KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
1390805791567.jpg
137KB, 900x636px
>>54979033
All is one, anon
>>
>>54979014
This would make more sense with Kachiko. Speaking of, there's no art of nuKachiko yet, right?
>>
>>54979259
Not yet. I'm hoping she gets a card sooner than later but they may wait for one of the deluxe sets for her to ensure her basic card is evergreen. Maybe the first set will be the Coup or something which she's clearly trying to push her husband intp
>>
>>54979336
The initial deluxe sets of an lcg are typically faction, rather than event based-- barring the co-op games, at any rate. That may not hold true for l5r, but I expect it will. If the coup is a thing, I expect it to be the focus of the first or second cycle of packs, rather than a box.
>>
>>54979703
If they're every six months won't it take fucking years to get all the clans out?
>>
>>54974402

I did not expect to find this meme in this thread, holy shit.
>>
>>54979878
Chances are they'll do them two at a time, with the odd numbered one getting paired with either a bunch of neutral cards, or the introduction of minor clans.
>>
>>54980427
So that would be what - Crane and Scorpion, Lion and Unicorn, Dragon and Phoenix, then Crab as the odd one out since it's the clan with the least story presence so far (exact same situation as 1E with the offhand mention of Scorpion troops offered for Wall service but the deal falling through)
>>
>>54980546
Could be. It's often about conflict and contrast, so I could see other match-ups being made-- Lion and Phoenix being in a war vs peace box, for example, or Dragon and Scorpion in a truth vs. illusion kind of thing. Maybe with Crab/Crane with culture vs brute force, and Unicorn with Minor Clans as the outsiders box.
>>
>>54979703
I'm hoping that Terminal Directive was actually a test run for L5R story-boxes. 4 factions in two alliances, campaign play, lots of story and fluff, and of course new cards.
>>
>>54981082
That would be interesting, but I'm not sure how you could reconcile that kind of structure with the tournament-based metaplot. Every kitchen table would end up with its own subcanon.
>>
>>54981390
The inevitable outcome of any L5R RPG campaign, anyway.
>>
Anyone got a group looking for a player? I'm so sick of DMing and want a chance to actualy play - mind you my DMing isn't exactly crash hot so....
>>
Does Hotaru have any children? Or is she channeling Min-Hee from old5R and courteously neglecting her husband?
>>
>>54982907
She looks 16 man, I dunno if she even got betrothed before her dad kicked the bucket.
>>
>>54983093
Eh. The kuge (and anyone that expects to go to front line battle) get betrothed early.

Hopefully FFG won't do the AEG levels of stupid where no one had children before they died, despite decades to work on it.
>>
>>54983093
Hotaru has a husband in the story:

>She hesitated at a stray thought—of her husband, now on his way to Shizuka Toshi to learn what he could about a recent attack by pirates and about the man, Yoritomo, who led them.

Not sure if he is staying alive though.
>>
You know what would be a kickass campaign, /l5rg/? A Thunders game, where the players are all playing characters that end up becoming the representatives for a third Day of Thunder. Besides the fact a set-up like that would let players make meaningful changes to the setting, I figure it's also be a reasonable explanation for players taking some of the more high-powered stuff that almost never shows up in most games, like nemuranai or some of the advanced schools.

God dammit, now I really want this. I'm gonna have to run it though, aren't I? I like the idea enough that I'm willing, but I'm not terribly confident in my GMing skills. What do?
>>
File: you won't die probably.png (563KB, 848x780px) Image search: [Google]
you won't die probably.png
563KB, 848x780px
>>
>>54985442
Part of the issue with that is the Thunders didn't form a party up and tool around for a campaign worth of stuff, they were each doing their own things until brought together in the climax. It would be more like seven solo games at once.
>>
>>54986449
Actually to expound upon that the closest we got to that idea was when we got the chibiThunders, that motley crew of kids just out of gempukku right at the start of the destroyer war who were guided by a monk and so totally destined for great things.

The monk of course was Fu Leng and they were all cat's paws in his plan to try and kill Kali-Ma which ended with Daigotsu taking over his role as Satan II.
>>
>>54986603
god damn every time I hear about AEG's plot the more I hate them
>>
>>54986449
>>54986603
I mean, as a GM you can take some liberties. My idea was to start at the Topaz championship to get everyone introduced, have the party become Emerald Magistrates, then stick together as they deal with the rising shadowlands issue and work to find the other Thunders.

Although...hm. Could possibly do some sort of play-by-post game for that, handle each player on their own side of things until they meet up for the Day of Thunder (with some brushes with each other before then). I don't know if I couldn't manage that though.
>>
>>54985153
I would give anything for the Mantis to never become a great clan and for FFG to undo the decades of AEG sucking Yoritomo's dick by executing him like the criminal scum he always was.
>>
>>54987214
>I would give anything for the Mantis to never become a great clan

Git gud and win a tournament.
>>
>>54987224
Yeah, because tournaments are the only way that couldn't happen...maybe if FFG doesnt follow its thread?
>>
>>54987214
Whats the problem with Yoritomo? I head Mantis was a Creators Pet?
>>
>>54987729
The big problem people had with Mantis is that they gobbled up the Fox, Wasp, and Centipede Clans and make them all more "Mantis-y". Then there's the specifics of how the Mantis came to be. During the Second Day of Thunder when everyone was marching their armies to the Shadowlands to stop Satan from destroying Rokugan, Yoritomo told everyone that he wanted to be a Great Clan and if he didn't get it he would order his troops to fight the imperial armies until every Mantis was dead. I'm sure on some planet this is considered "badass", but in Rokugan it's just treason. So of course he was rewarded for threatening to doom the entire planet by getting his own Great Clan... which immediately also ruined three other minor clans people liked. Then there's all the spiritual shakanery, like Yoritomo was a mortal man, not a kami, obviously, so the thunder dragon sacrificed itself to make Yoritomo a god for some reason? Then the Mantis got the job of protecting Rokugan from outside threats as their Major Clan duty... which they basically never did. They mostly just engaged in mercantile exchange with friendly gaijin while simultaneously shirking every great Samurai tradition and precept. The Yotiomo courtier school were thugs that relied on finance and open intimidation. The Yoritomo Bushi school actively avoided teaching how to use the Katana in favor of dual wielding peasant weapons (because kama look like a mantis' pincers! XD), and developed a "dueling tradition" of only dueling on boats so they would have an unfair advantage. Despite having a powerful shugenja family in the Moshi, the Yoritomo also developed their own snowflake shugenja school, and the Yoritomo as a family never had a disposition that really seemed to be compatible with the veneration a shugenja needs to provide. All in all they were just a glorified Yakuza and their fans never really seems to give a shit about actually being a great clan, and just enjoyed being pirates...
>>
>>54987890
I've always run it that the ''Yoritomo'' shugenja school is in fact just where they put all the male Moshe who have the shugenja gift but obviously can't become Sun Priestesses. They venerate Osano-wo as Lady Sun's favourite grandchild, since the fire part of Fire and Thunder is obviously a gift from Her.
>>
>>54987890
All of this.
Yoritomo should have been slain on the spot he stood for that claim.
For now, there was no mention of any minor clan. Let's see how it will go this time around.
>>
reminder that spiderlettes are to be scorned.
>>
>>54985442
That sounds like a bretty cool game. You should run it online sometime, maybe on Friday nights when I am not running for my RL group.
>>
>>54987890
It should be noted that the "Yoritomo" bushi school is actually not spawned from Yoritomo, the Mantis had that school for a long time under the generic name "Mantis Bushi". It was probably called "Gusai Bushi" when that family officially existed.
>>
>>54991464
Some people probably still call it Gusai Bushi even after they stop existing-- at least in private, anyway. Secret reverance for the Gusai isn't exactly uncommon in the clan.
>>
What's the excuse for releasing a game you need two of to play?
>>
>>54992098
You don't, though.
>>
>>54992131
Official statement - two core sets required to build a legal deck.
>>
>>54992184
That's for tournaments only. 1core is a supported format in casuals.
>>
File: Out of box play.png (125KB, 834x365px) Image search: [Google]
Out of box play.png
125KB, 834x365px
>>54992184
Have some pictographic evidence from the actual rulebook that your claim is wrong. These won't be good decks, and they won't be tournament legal, but if you just want to sit down and play with friends one core set will do just fine.
>>
>>54992212
And the first tournament uses the 30card format.
>>
>>54992254
I heard it was Dragon?
>>
>>54992717
It was Dragon. The Emperor's favor was determined on Thursday and had nothing to do with the competitive tournament on Friday and Saturday.
>>
File: L5R___Fun_by_perca.jpg (584KB, 600x2081px) Image search: [Google]
L5R___Fun_by_perca.jpg
584KB, 600x2081px
>>
>>54992638
And it sucked absolute ass for some clans. There's a reason no Unicorn made Hatamoto the first day.
>>
>>54994767
or maybe its because no good l5r players watch mlp :^)
>>
/tg/ which clan has the worst waifus
>>
>>54994932
Dragon
>>
>>54994959
dusty, barren wombs
>>
>>54987890
>which immediately also ruined three other minor clans people liked.
Much as I hate how the Mantis became this Yoritomo-flavored katamari of formerly cool minor clans, this was AEG trying to fix their own mistakes. Minor clans started vanishing to cut down on the number of individual factions the game had spawned, which IIRC got as high as 19 among the great and minor clans, Shadowlands, ninja, ronin, monks, assorted alliances like Toturi's Army and so on. This being AEG however they did it in the most cocked up way possible.
>>
>>54994932

Mantis.
>>
File: Kyuden Kitsune.jpg (122KB, 426x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kyuden Kitsune.jpg
122KB, 426x600px
>>54995021
Actually you are wrong about that. All the minor clans were not individual factions. For instance there never was a Centipede stronghold. The Minor Clans initially became a faction with Yoritomo's Alliance. The Wasp and Centipede getting gobbled up by the Mantis was just AEG's way of keeping the faction mechanically the same despite the change in status the Mantis had.

You are right that the great purge of factions happened at the end of the Hidden Emperor arc was to clean house, but that was long after the Mantis ate the Wasp and Centipede. The Mantis got the Fox much later because during the Hidden Emperor a story prize went to a player that wanted the Fox to stay independent from the Mantis, this was shown in the Kyuden Kitsune stronghold.
>>
On the subject of the mantis, how would I create a moshi bushi in 4e? I was thinking of going yoritomo bushi with just a non-knife weapon at character creation. Is there any better way of doing this?
>>
>>54995282
Personally I'd suck up and the Different School advantage and go to the Shiba Bushi. It isn't efficient but it fits better.
>>
>>54995282
Moshi Guardian of the Sun is a rank 1 alt path.
>>
>>54995282
Ronin path is what I tend to go. Work with your GM to get a 5 rank school built out of ronin techniques that counts as Moshi Bushi so you don't have to find new sensei. Do not do as >>54995353 says. Guardian of the Sun is awful.
>>
File: ss (2017-08-21 at 08.37.57).png (19KB, 441x227px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-08-21 at 08.37.57).png
19KB, 441x227px
Hide Unicorn posts.
Do not respond to Unicorn posters.
>>
>>54995353
I must have read that wrong, because I thought that was rank 3. I will do that though. Which book is that in again?
>>
I have to ask, what is Japan's general reaction to L5R?
>>
>>54995432
Great Clans.
And it's not as bad as >>54995397 says. It is conditional on defending other Moshi or Moshi holdings, but that's literally the entire focus of Moshi Bushi.
>>
>>54995467

"What's L5R?"
>>
>>54994932
What clan has the best waifus? This is important in my decision of what clan to check out first.
>>54970397
Is this beauty Phoenix's?
>>
>>54996563
Crab has the best waifus, because they range from snu snu to perfect soft housewife to several varieties of nerd.
>>
File: Shiba_Tsukune.png (276KB, 750x366px) Image search: [Google]
Shiba_Tsukune.png
276KB, 750x366px
>>54996563
Yeah, that's the Phoenix clan champion.
>>
>>54996563

I have a quote from Shouting Matsu of an age past for Lion waifus, I just have to find it.
>>
>>54995467
It doesn't exist over here.

Most I've got is I once showed it to some Japanese friends and they thought the horrible misuse of Japanese words was cute.
>>
>>54995198
>The Minor Clans initially became a faction with Yoritomo's Alliance
I'm hoping that anything minor clan faction-wise only goes as far as the Minor Clan Alliance, this time around.
>>
>>54997533
I imagine it's similar to the really weirdass "European" names in fantasy anime.
>>
>>54995397
Amusingly this was exactly how you did it in 1E - Moshi bushi either trained at the Shiba school or were trained by the ronin troops kept by the Centipede, so mechanics wise they were True Ronin without the social stigma.
>>
>>54996826
I'll absolutely be checking out Phoenix, then.
>>54997511
Lions are my favorite animal. Do they have quality waifus?
>>
File: Matsu_Donseno.jpg (55KB, 819x579px) Image search: [Google]
Matsu_Donseno.jpg
55KB, 819x579px
>>54998505
All right, waifus, waifus, waifus! Come on in waifu lovers! Here at the L5R general we're slashing waifus in half! Give us an offer on our vast selection of waifus, this is a waifu blow out! All right, we got Phoenix waifus, Lion waifus, Crane waifus, we got bushi waifus, we got shuggi waifus, Scorpion waifus, monk waifus, we've even got pony waifus. Come on, you want waifus, come on in waifu lovers! If we don't got it, you don't want it! Come on in, Waifu lovers!
>>
How are the tsume pikemen? I figure you do need a fair amount of void points, but other than that.
>>
File: 1413669159159.jpg (220KB, 1260x866px) Image search: [Google]
1413669159159.jpg
220KB, 1260x866px
>>
>>54957595
>>
/tg/ L5R discord: https://discord.gg/qWt2YVp
>>
>>55003655
why make a discord when the thread is dead as fuck
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123KB, 1366x768px
>>54998385
Other Anon, but I told my friends while in Japan that they cant complaint about people misusing japanese in their stuff when they do the same thing english words. Specially in Anime.
>>
>>55004539
threads serve different purposes than chatrooms.
>>
>>55003655
There is already a L5R discord. Even the devs go there sometimes. https://discord.gg/QHza7tg
>>
>>54996563
>What clan has the best waifus?
Scorpion, of course.
>>
>>55005836
that's the reddit discord, which I'm not a fan of.
>>
>>54973332
What does it mean for LCG - that on tournaments you have to use this particular role or what. I do not understand this at all ...
>>
Waifus are awesome, but what about husbandos? Which clan has the best husbandos?
>>
>>55005938
Yes, if you go to any organized play events your role is already picked for you depending on your clan. The top placing player from each clan at the yearly Winter Court World Championship tournament picks the role for their clan for the following year.
>>
>>55005939
Since they're not fully Motofied yet, the Unicorn.
>>
>>55006178
They are preparing to forcefully change some of Rokugans traditions. Can't go much more Moto than that...
Compassion my ass.
>>
>>55006700
The Shinjo are much better looking than the Moto, though, and this is husbando talk.
>>
>>55005939
Crane. Where waifus are waifus and husbandos are also waifus.
>>
>>55006178
http://www.lowfierce.com/kazenoshiro/4/wife.htm
>>
>>55006868
Still one of my favorite L5R stories.
>>
>>55006993
It is my second favorite. My favorite is the one where Sezaru meets with Oracle of Air, asks his question, then has his two sidekicks ask bonus questions, much to the annoyance of the Oracle. Abusing a divinity's power is pretty damn ballsy.

http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2008/03/29/the-path-of-one/
>>
>>55006993
Any other story with sweet husbando/waifu material?
>>
File: Taiko_and_Hideo.jpg (19KB, 291x217px) Image search: [Google]
Taiko_and_Hideo.jpg
19KB, 291x217px
>>55010025
The Kitsuki Taiko/Kakita Hideo flirting was cute, but considering how that particular subplot went to hell it makes things less sweet in hindsight.
>>
>>55010271
>those hands
why
>>
>>55010305
cuz
>>
>>55010305
Art doesn't have to be perfect mang. I mean, look at the sword handles in >>54957595 the length/angles seem really funky to me
but it's still a cool picture
>>
>>55010479
>Art doesn't have to be perfect mang.

That's where you're wrong. If you can't do something perfectly, you shouldn't fucking try and waste everyone else's time.
>>
>>55010521
And yet, you post.
>>
>>55010538
Fucking savage.
>>
File: 250px-Yogo_Outcast.png (147KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Yogo_Outcast.png
147KB, 250x349px
This is the perfect card. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>55012394
The art on it seems a bit weird. Possibly because it used to be a nonhuman (and a Shosuro).
>>
>>55012394
>not a phoenix card
You are objectively wrong.
>>
>>55012394
I never liked that literally every single Yogo person is cursed. It makes Bayushi bringing Yogo in extra dumb.
>>
>>55012394

Kachiko isn't simultaneously eating out Shinjo Altansarnai while taking a strapon from Doji Hotaru and Shiba Tsukune, so by definition it is not a perfect card.
>>
>>54998505

>Do they have quality waifus?

They do. >>54998676
>>
>>55012600
>liking lesbians
Why? Do you enjoy it because you can't participate? I think I might know another fetish you might like.
>>
>>55012574
Bayushi just had to make sure he's a big enough douche that the Yogo wouldn't love him. Like, sure, but never love.

Scorpion, doing what has to be done for the good of the Empire.
>>
>>55012620
Observing is its own joy. It isn't you having sex if they're taking the dick or eating one another out after all. All porn is inherently kind of voyeuristic
>>
>>55012600
Please. Hotaru would be gently teaching Little Sister Tsukune the ways of womanly pleasure while Altansarnai takes Kachiko for a rough ride.
>>
File: Pillow Fight original.jpg (81KB, 607x864px) Image search: [Google]
Pillow Fight original.jpg
81KB, 607x864px
>>55012600
>>
>>55012620
>liking lesbians
>Do you enjoy it because you can't participate?

No. Because I *can*.
>>
>>55012646
And then Yogo Junzo loves the Empire more than anything else. Welp.
>>
>>55012620
>not liking lesbians
What kind of gay homo dicklover faggot are you?
>>
File: Baleeted.jpg (30KB, 566x484px) Image search: [Google]
Baleeted.jpg
30KB, 566x484px
>>55012662
Then it got Baleeted
>>
All these waifufags... these threads are beyond redemption.
>>
>>55012715
I would like to state for the record I was here for the game and had no interest in waifus, but I would not be a man if I could have resisted my lovely clan champion Tsukune after seeing that art.
>>
>>55012715

Find a thread and/or game without waifufagging. I fucking dare you.

Get over yourself and shove your overinflated sense of superiority straight up your gaping, distended, flaccid asshole.
>>
>>55012715
Waifus are the lifeblood of any setting
>>
>>55012752
Woah buddy calm down, that kind of overly defensive autism is exactly what gives waifufags a bad name.
>>
File: explodingtens.jpg (125KB, 744x445px) Image search: [Google]
explodingtens.jpg
125KB, 744x445px
>THE FUCK DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY WAIFU
>>
If I'm playing in a Ki-Rin Returns campaign, could a Lion strike up a friendship with a Unicorn or would that be too out of character for that era? The GM wants to know if my Lion's Pride bushi would like to be sent as an guest-observer to the Ki-Rin per the peace terms between the two Great Clans.
>>
>>55012899
Lion held a claim to all of the Ki-Ren's land before they returned. The Lion fought them like they would fight any invader, and they weren't recognized as people until the Emperor intervened.
>>
>>55012790

Yeah, sorry - I'm in 3 different threads and all of them are bitching about waifus simultaneously. That was a bit much. Sorry.
>>
File: 1500518596686.jpg (57KB, 529x386px) Image search: [Google]
1500518596686.jpg
57KB, 529x386px
>>55013015
It's okay anon I forgive you

Your waifu a cute
>>
>>55012715
I'm sorry I just wanted to know which clan had the worst waifus, and it just got out of control. I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>55012930

True. The war is over. The Son of Heaven has, with the Crane, restrained both the Lion and the Ki-Rin from further bloodshed. The campaigning season has ended with the Lord Moon's slumber and winter approaches.
>>
>>54958850
It's mentioned that there are provincial dialects and accents, like in Japan, in some of the 4th ed fluff books. With every edition they try and purge just a little bit more of the !NOT from !NotJapan.

I like the idea myself. Crabs can be 'uncouth' without being foul mouthed, they just have an 'that idiot from Osaka' accent... for example.
>>
File: 1442101875041.jpg (224KB, 950x694px) Image search: [Google]
1442101875041.jpg
224KB, 950x694px
See? The waifu posting stopped, and we dropped to page 9 almost immediately.

Keep threads alive. Post waifus.
>>
File: Togashi_Korimi_3.jpg (509KB, 1280x935px) Image search: [Google]
Togashi_Korimi_3.jpg
509KB, 1280x935px
>>55015643
I mean, damn.
>>
>>55005939
Crab, duh. They get to buy the large advantage at a discount. Big burly walls of man meat, just waiting to princess carry you or sling you over their shoulder, if that's how you like it to the marriage bed.

They will literally go to Hell and back on a regular basis to keep you safe and warm. Crabs have the manliest men in the Empire.

Really, the whole reason the rest of the Empire mocks the Crab is really just to mask the insucurites they feel every time they visit a bathouse. Did I mention Large is at a discount for Crabs?
>>
>>55015788
I want to get enlightened with Korimi!
>>
File: Doji_Soh.jpg (87KB, 800x589px) Image search: [Google]
Doji_Soh.jpg
87KB, 800x589px
>>
>>55016004
>Crab, duh
Badger if you don't like taint or Shadowlands induced depression.
>>
>>55018501
Best minor clan. Strength 4 waifus out of char gen and a cultural artistry with mushroom dishes
>>
File: right in there.png (42KB, 144x296px) Image search: [Google]
right in there.png
42KB, 144x296px
>>55018501
>Badger
>no taint

Oni no Hideo.

How did that thing come around again? Oh right, the Younger of the Daimyo's two sons wanted to cuckold his older brother, so he gave Hideo's name to an oni that subsequently came within a hairs breadth of destroying the clan.

So yeah, go with badger if you like maho tsukai, a wimpy clan that can't even take down one freaking oni, AND cuckoldry!
>>
Boar wife.
>>
>>55019893
>being this challenged by a minor clan
>resorting to the only notable oni naming in Badger history
Which family is legit stated to be the most likely to fall to the taint and maho use again? Oh right, the Kuni.
>>
>>55020046
You misspelled Isawa there guy.
>>
>>55020146
>le ebin Phoenix maho meme surfaces
Nice projecting, Crab.
>>
>>55020223
I know Crab's have a reputation for having a bad temper, but you're just not going to get me mad.

All I can do is laugh at you and your feeble little clan. For fucks sake, the Emperor wanted a clan to guard a border and your 'revered' ancestor and founder built a string of fortresses that couldn't support one another....on purpose.

Of course it only took one oni to wipe your clan off the map, you were always planing to lose. You just assumed that if you took long enough doing it the Empire would somehow benefit. Good gods man, not even Crane plan to loose like that.

Look, I'm just saying if 4 str before spending points is all it takes to impress you, go for a Matsu. Far less likely to fuck everything up than an Ichiro.
>>
>>55020387
Perhaps the honourable crab samurai should take a moment to refelct on his duty. If he didn't spend his time antagonising the badger, the phoenix and the crane he'd have a few more friends in court. And if the crab had a few more friends in court, they might find themselves better positioned to defend Rokugan.
>>
>>55020557
>>55020387
I like how even the "your dudes suck" arguments are thematic in this game
>>
>>55021825
Passive-aggressive trash talking is a L5R tradition.
>>
>>55022689
It's more than a tradition, it's actually codified in-universe. Sadane, motherfucker.
>>
>>55022994
I wonder if sadane exists in nuL5R.
>>
>>55022994
Despite how entrenched shit talking sadane vs other samurai is amongst the fanbase, in setting it's rare and dangerous to critique more than an inanimate objects and artistic presentations.

Go figure.
>>
>>55023049
My understanding is that while it's guache in the extreme to directly critique another samurai indirect things like literary references, appeals to history, and omisions are all acceptable fodder.
>>
File: asahina beniha.jpg (57KB, 450x331px) Image search: [Google]
asahina beniha.jpg
57KB, 450x331px
>>
>>55025031
I like how she looks like she's about to address the audience directly with some piece of gossip about the guy in the background.
>>
>>55025098
House of Cards: Rokugan Edition could be fun.
>>
>>55025445
>>55025098
I had an idea for an in-universe comedic play where a Scorpion lead would slip his mask off to do asides to the audience that satirized Rokugani court etiquette.

I haven't done anything with it because... what, am I gonna write a script for a play that's fictional within the setting it takes place in? What would I even do with it?
>>
>>55026110
Put it on for your players.

Better yet, give them the script and make them perform it at court. Throw stuff at them while they're on stage-- a rival in the front row, who they can deviate from their mark slightly to overhear making plans with the person sitting next to them; a crisis backstage; sabotaged props; another perform who arrives for his cue drunk...
>>
>>55026478

Does it have a fight so? If it has a fight scene, you can always have it reluctantly performed by a group of drunken Crab.
>>
>>55026547
There's certainly charm to the draw-lot style, but I think there's a pretty cool adventure in having a party actually invested in and struggling for the play going off correctly.
>>
File: 79 Akodo Toturi.png (268KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
79 Akodo Toturi.png
268KB, 300x418px
>this whole Toturi / Hotaru rules shit

Goddamnit FFG. Please do us a solid and at least day 0 errata this. Everyone knows how this interaction was supposed to work, but you fucked up and formatted the card wrong. If you actually let RAW stand then you're going to have so many upset Cranes and Lions crawling up your ass for making a shitty champion and then accidentally nerfing them pre-release to boot.

tl;dr, for those who don't know, it turns out that RAW if Toturi / Hotaru uses their reactions on defense the attacker still gets the rings effects.

Toturi / Hotaru's abilities read:
>Reaction: After you claim a ring during a military/political conflict in which this character is participating -- resolve that ring's effect.

On page 14, the Rules Reference says ring effects are as follows:

>Air: The attacking player takes 1 honor from his or her opponent, or gains 2 honor from the general token pool.
>Earth: The attacking player draws 1 card from his or her conflict deck and discards 1 card at random from his or her opponent’s hand.
>Fire: The attacking player chooses a character in play and chooses to honor or dishonor that character.
>Water: The attacking player either chooses a character and readies it, or chooses a character with no fate on it and bows it.
>Void: The attacking player chooses a character and removes 1 fate from that character.

So those are the ring effects. You resolve it. The attacking player gets to make all the choices, because they're the attacking player and that's what the ring effects say to do.

Compare Defend the Wall or Shiba Tsukune -- they both instruct you to "resolve the ring effect... as if you were the attacking player" making it clear who gets to make the choices. Not so for Toturi / Hotaru. RAW the argument is pretty much unassailable, but I think everyone knows that the two characters were intended to be able to resolve rings on defense; it was even mentioned in both Lion and Crane preview articles.
>>
How would you go on about running an actual Merchant's Guide to Rokugan game? No Kolat shit, just a merchant caravan traveling around the Empire and trying to stay afloat. Merchants, hired ronin, entertainers and other riff-raff. I don't think the game has ever covered trade mechanics-wise, right?
>>
>>55027209
Toturi looks pretty handsome in his new art, honestly.
>>
>>55027218
It would be boring. Besides fighting off brigands, it would be a lot of getting travel papers to go to different places.
>>
>>55027251
If you don't see adventures springing up from trying to wheel and deal just to move around a country full of dipshit warrior aristocrats when you're not one of them, what are you doing in /tg/?
>>
>>55023026

My guess? Omitted due to offensiveness and hurt feelings.
>>
>>55027209
1. Goddamn toturi's head looks freaking small in comparison to his body ( at least his face isnt a dumpster fire anymore? )

2. Holy shit, as far as i can tell you are right, wow thats awful.
>>
Hey i asked this before, but how is the tsume pikemen school?
>>
>>55029100
Tsume Pikeman is a ronin technique, and it's a rank 3 slot that doesn't give SAA. So in and of itself it's not awful, but the opportunity cost of taking it is very high.
>>
>>55027209
If we're on the subject of templating, what (RAW) allows keeper initiate to trigger it's ability when not in play, but disallows seeker initiate from doing the same?
>>
>>55029230
Because cards can't trigger if they're not in play unless their ability specifically mentions otherwise. Keeper Initiate needs to trigger outside of play to function, so it works.
>>
>>55023049
Sadane usually involves picking a neutral target and competing to see who can level the most valid burns on it. Only the most ballsy competitors pick a person. Making sure your criticisms are technically true (The best kind of true) or easily understood as opinions is important, because you can be offended by truths, but you can't really challenge them without looking a fool unless you're exceedingly high ranked.
>>
>>55029100
It is kinda crap as a Ronin technique for the reasons >>55029210 but if you are using the canon setting and not Heroes of Rokugan and it is a Crane path you can cobble together a reasonable Spear school (especially if you talk your GM into letting you get SAA with Spears at Rank 4, which as a forever GM I would allow in exchange for the SAAs with Bows and Knives) with the following Progression.

Rank 1 - Daidoji Scout
Rank 2 - Crane Elite Spearman
Rank 3 - Tsume Pikeman
Rank 4-5 - Finish Daidoji Scout
Rank 6+ - Daidoji Harrier or Iron Warrior
>>
>>55030394
Tsume Pikeman is a ronin path in the canon setting; it's listed as such in Imperial Histories, where it was printed. Heroes of Rokugan only adds more restrictions onto who can take it.

Now, to be fair, IH also provides option for making a it a Crane alt path in earlier eras, but those aren't the default rules.
>>
>>55030826
Heroes of Rokugan is an alt history setting like 1000 Years of Darkness, it directly contradicts the pre-FFG canon storyline in that the Toturi are still the ruling dynasty in the 16th century. In the 11th-12th centuries (ie the main storyline pre-FFG) the Tsume are a Crane Vassal Family.
>>
Should I make a bushi character or a shugenja character for a 4e campaign? How rare are shugenja in the general Rokugani population?
>>
>>55031091
Shugenja are super rare, like less than 1 in 100 samurai is a shugenja. But make what you want, PCs are snowflake by default in L5R as nearly all are members of the ruling class. It would only get weird if a bunch of you all rolled Ishiken or other shit that rare even by shugenja standards.
>>
>>55031091
Rare but not so rare there aren't plenty in the clans, aided by families that have higher rates of producing shugenja than not. They're a character option for a reason because even if rare even among samurai they're still a common important character role.

And do whatever, if you haven't played the game before bushi is a bit simpler. Do whatever sounds fun
>>
>>55031091
They're rare, but every clan has many bloodlines that regularly produce shugenja, and they sometimes appear outside of those bloodlines too (Often getting married into their clan's Shugenja Family, in an informal eugenics program designed to get as many Shugenja as possible).
Basically, playing one is not weird at all. You should keep in mind that shugenja are priests and not wizards. Their only inherent power is the ability to talk to elemental spirits if they concentrate. Everything else is the spirits acting on their behalf after they beg using "spells" that are actually just abbreviated prayers.
>>
>>55031201
But really, they're wizards. Shugenja magic is nailed down to a science as seen by spell research rules. It's why the Isawa are so arrogant in the first place: they're STEMlords.
>>
>>55031262
A science based in prayer, with a loooot of trial and error. It's like "If I say this specific 10 minute long prayer with these specific motions and gestures, I get X effect exactly how I want it. If I remove every second and fifth syllable, remove this entire paragraph, get rid of these dramatic pauses, combine these two gestures, and then imply these sentences in my head instead of saying them out loud, it does the same thing because the kami don't perceive things like we do anyway."
>>
>>55031318
The ultimate effect remains, however. The kami are fickle, but they are understood in a way the divine powers of other fantasy settings normally aren't. Shugenja may be performing prayers as far as they're concerned, but they're doing it in a deliberate way. Yes, lots of trial and error, but there is trial and error at all rather than just throwing your desire up in the air for something divine to hear and hope for the best. It's why L5R declaring shugenja as priests bothers me a bit, especially when actual priests of the Fortunes, monks and others exist.
>>
>>55031489
Shugenja are actual priests, because their functions do not stop or end at the abbreviated prayers. Their regular, day-to-day duties are officiate marriages, births, and funerals, advise other samurai on spiritual matters, bless crops and municipal projects, and troubleshoot potential curses and supernatural problems as they arise.
The Rokugani religion has a lot of different aspects and officials, and they all overlap somewhat. Between fortunes, kami (Elemental), Kami (Demi-god), the Sun and Moon, the Dragons, ancestors, and the abstract concepts of the Tao and enlightenment, there are a lot of different things that all have different priests and monks connected to them, and not everyone follows every aspect closely. Shugenja are pretty much alone in actively worshiping the elemental kami, and samurai are nearly alone in worshiping their ancestors. Many samurai don't bother with the Tao at all, and most peasants are only aware of it and its concepts as a thing the monks are into.
>>
>>55031146

I think that if everyone in that anon's party rolled up ishiken, the Phoenix inquisition would abduct them all for use in their Kwisatz Haderach breeding program.
>>
>>55032386
Dude, Crabs on sandworms.
>>
File: bow.jpg (170KB, 1399x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bow.jpg
170KB, 1399x1000px
>>
>>55033902
Yes, Kaga, it's a little this morning.
>>
>>55033931
A little cold, that is.
Thread posts: 291
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.