[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Beginner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: arc20140707_cp.jpg (82KB, 450x465px) Image search: [Google]
arc20140707_cp.jpg
82KB, 450x465px
I'm looking for some advice here. I live in a shit country where MTG players are practically nonexistent. We don't have stores that sell MTG products here either so no way of getting free intro packs.

I'm looking for a 2 player set with decks that have interesting mechanics that aren't too complicated for newbies but aren't super boring either.

With so many products out there, I'm confused. Most of the reviews online only talk about the monetary value of the cards. I just wanna play with a friend and have fun. Here's my shortlisted items so far:

1) Duel Decks

2) Clash Packs

Amongst the Duel Decks, The only sets that aren't super crazy expensive are Mind vs Might and Speed vs Cunning. I wanted Heroes vs Monsters but the price I'd have to be would be almost 3 to 4 times the actual price.

Amongst the Clash Packs, I can only buy Fate vs Fury or Fate Reforged. Importing the Origins Clash Pack seems super pricey for some reason.

Are there other good options? What would you suggest?
>>
>I'm looking for a 2 player set with decks that have interesting mechanics that aren't too complicated for newbies but aren't super boring either.
Any deck Wizards sells will match this criteria. You probably wont get a super competitive deck, but if your plan is casual play you really cant go wrong. I'm not too familiar with these but Fury v Fate looks pretty cool.

>Other options
Commander decks. love commander for casual play and Wizards prebuilt commanders are all pretty great. They retail at about 35-40 USD each, so a bit pricey but they're "worth" the cards that come with. You'll like this is you enjoy more wonky games that are less competitive.

Buy singles. Just assemble a deck that seems cool to you on the cheap. My first deck was Theros Heroic thing I threw together for about 20 USD. It was terrible but I had a blast playing it casually. You might have more fun with this than prebuilt decks if you're a tinkerer.
>>
>>54951118
Commander is the way to go if you ever end up expanding beyond 2 players (preferably to 4).
It's cheap and the format only allows one of each card so each game is very varied and the replay value stays high.

It can get a bit more complex at times, but it's easily the most fun!

When it comes to finding out which product is for you, check out Tolarian Community College on youtube. Best MtG product reviewer by far.
>>
>>54951212

>Commander decks

I considered these but I thought that a duel deck/clash pack might be more fun considering that they're meant to be played against each other. Am I wrong?

>Buying singles

I live in India. Anything MTG/D&D related has to be imported. Importing singles, especially good ones, would bankrupt me because our import duties are crazy high compared to most countries.
>>
>>54951265
Get them imported as gifts / free product. I never pay toll on singles. Sealed product is different.
>>
>>54951249

I think I'll look into Commander since it's getting quite a few recommendations.

I saw TCC on YouTube. As I said, most of his reviews talk about monetary value for the sets or about adding to your already existing card collections. His newbie videos suggest buying a Deckbuilder's kit. I don't wanna build a deck yet. I want pre-constructed ones like LCGs.
>>
>>54951297
Nice, I dont think you can go wrong with Commander. I've bought one of the prebuilt Duel Decks decks and I played it a few times but I love my Commander deck. A fair warning though: Commander's rules are a tad more complicated than the base game and you'll need to figure out more cards (~60 unique cards in a commander deck vs ~20 unique cards in a non-Commander deck). As a result, commander is bit less noob friendly than the standard 60 card deck. Just thumb through the cards you'll be getting to make sure you can understand them (and /tg/ is usually willing to help).

As for which deck to pick, they're all about the same power level so just pick a commander you think is cool.
>>
>>54951118
the answer is buying Chinese cards aka counterfeits
unless you plan on playing offical shit you might as well do that and you get a ton more crap for $50 instead of the extremely overpriced official products
>>
>>54951118
I'd recommend old Core Set Intro Decks, Planeswalker prebuilt decks from newer sets like Kaladesh block and Amonkhet block. Commander is VERY complicated compared to normal 4-limit 60-card Magic, whether it's Standard or casual. All the products I mentioned are made for beginners and pretty balanced against each other.
>>
>>54951771
>OP wants a pre-constructed ready to play out of the box product
>I know! I'll suggest that they buy a collection of cards instead with no context whatsoever!
>>
>>54952251
>make copy of pre-constructed decks
>copy instructions
wow that was hard
>>
>>54952332
High quality chinese fakes are pretty expensive, it's only really worth it if you're going to order pricey cards
>>
>>54951118
OP I hope you read this before this thread 404's

DON'T LEARN HOW TO PLAY VIA COMMANDER

Commander is a great format to play, but I would never recommend it as your first format. It can get very complicated very quickly even with precon decks.

Get the newest clash pack, because fuck it. It doesn't matter. What matters is learning the game and having fun. Buy two different Intro packs. Each one is 15 bucks, but comes with a pre-built 60 card deck and TWO!(2!) booster packs don't buy random boosters unless you actually want to piss away 5 bucks . When you want more cards buy a fatpack or a deckbuilders kit. Those have lands you're gonna need.
>>
>>54951249
>>54951376
>>54951212
>>54952224

Oh boy. I just saw a Commander gameplay video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZbkW7aafkU

It looked like a lot of fun but was quite complicated. I'm gonna stay away from those for some time.
>>
>>54951118
>I wanted Heroes vs Monsters but the price I'd have to be would be almost 3 to 4 times the actual price.

What are you talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Heroes-Monsters-Limited/dp/B00EDYSGSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503165867&sr=8-2&keywords=heroes+vs+monsters
>>
>>54956547

As I said before, I live in India. Amazon India has the price at 81 USD.... Yep.
>>
>>54956948
Have you tried the preconstructed battle decks from card kingdom? They're only $10 and I've heard they're comparable or even better to the wizards precon decks.

http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/shop/battle-decks
>>
>>54958154

This is the ONLY battle pack I could find here.

http://www.amazon.in/Magic-Gathering-Gatecrash-Battle-Pack/dp/B00AXUIRJI

Is it any good?
>>
>>54958416
Why not just order direct from Card Kingdom instead of Amazon? They have international shipping and a much larger selection of battle decks.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.