[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would one start getting into Magic nowadays? Some popular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: magic.png (19KB, 423x119px) Image search: [Google]
magic.png
19KB, 423x119px
How would one start getting into Magic nowadays? Some popular meetups that are around me have been brought to my attention, and it seems like fun. Is it even worth it to get into? I'm not foreign to the idea of TCGs, dabbled a bit in Yugioh and Pokemon, but I could never take either seriously (Yugioh because decks are constantly outmoded by what's new and hip, and Pokemon because it's clearly marketed towards younger audiences). Thanks in advance.
>>
>>54949752
>How would one start getting into Magic nowadays?
Depends on what you want to do. If you want to have some fun with your friends, throw a deck together and play. If you want to play casually with strangers (like it sounds you want to do): find out what formats are popular among that group, throw a deck together in that format and have fun. If you want to be more serious: draft first and learn the game well, study the format you want to play, trade/buy singles, build your deck, then wreck face at FNM.

>Is it even worth it to get into?
In my opinion, sure, as long as you can take the good with the bad, you re not a thin-skinned fop, and you can legitimately have fun whether you win or lose.
>>
its alot easier to get into when you have a friend thats into it as well. My friend introduced me and i played for a bit but i wasnt too into it because we never had time to play. a couple of years later he asked me if i wanted to play again and i started getting back into it. i was able to convince my other friends draft. thats when i got REALLY into it.

I would recommend going to sealed events like pre-releases. there arent preconstructed decks so its somewhat even playing grounds. people are pretty easy going if you go to a small local game shop for the event. you essentially buy 6 packs and make a deck from it.

i did sealed for a while because i didnt have any cards. i eventually moved into draft because of my friend and now its the only format i play. I'm slowly picking up constructed formats as my collection builds up.

if you want to get into constructed formats its best to find a group that would be willing to play with you.

the next pre release should be happening in september so if you wanted to participate, it would be good to follow the spoilers for the newest set ixalan and then just go to a local game shop to see what its like.
>>
>Is it even worth it to get into?

I'd say it is to a degree if you have friends that are into it, and/or the crowd at your LGS is tolerable and not super smelly or asshole-ish
>>
>>54949812
Yeah, playing casually is up my alley. I don't think there are many serious events in my area anyway. After playing Yugioh on dueling network for ages until it went down, so I've gotten used to losing and winning.
>>54949831
That's an interesting concept, buying packs and making a deck out of them on the spot. I don't know if I have any friends that are into it currently (I know a few people that played, but they played /ages/ ago).
>>54949840
I have yet to gauge the crowd. Hopefully it's not full of mental retards.
>>
>>54949868
Yeah, I say throw together a cheap pauper deck or something (they usually run around $30) and check out the local scene. Unlike what the internet will tell you, most Magic players are perfectly tolerable and even enjoyable people.
>>
>>54949752
Magic is cancer
The community is cancer

Stay the fuck away.
>>
>>54950244
Wanna explain why, or....?
>>
>>54949868
>That's an interesting concept, buying packs and making a deck out of them on the spot.

One thing you can do is go to drafts. It's going to be kind of a baptism by fire, in that it's a very skill intensive format, but it has the advantage that each player is starting from random cards. It takes the amount of money a player has sunk into the game entirely out of the equation.
>>
>>54950347
Bet he won't. Hating on fun is a religion to some people
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.