[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS general /gurpsgen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 40

File: GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
Happy Friday edition

Game day looks! What's your setting? What's happening this week? Any tips and tricks from the local regular hosts of games?
>>
My players have come into ownership of a run down castle. How do I go about letting them refurbish it (TL3 with bits of 4)? What can I do with it once it's built?

Are there any published rules?
>>
>>54944565
Boardroom & Curia for running it?
I dunno about castle building rules.

>>54944445
I've heard GURPS Combat can be really slow. I want to try it soon, but I'm stockpiling ideas still. If it is in fact pretty slow by default, does anybody have any pointers for speeding it up?
>>
>>54944565
I would treat it as a broken-down unstreamlined TL4 "spaceship" with Wood or Stone Armor and the majority of systems dedicated to Open Spaces and Habitats, Lacks Automation and No Computer from Vol. 7, and No Life Support from "Alternate Spaceships" in the #3/34 issue of Pyramid.
>>
Do the skills increase when I increase an attribute?
>>
File: Faster Combat.png (101KB, 336x647px) Image search: [Google]
Faster Combat.png
101KB, 336x647px
>>54944893
Pic related is great advice (especially the last entry). Beyond that, I make heavy use of the fodder/mook rules where unimportant enemies are out after one HP of injury. I makes enemy hordes much less painful to run as a GM and keeps things from slowing down.

>>54944926
Yes. Your skills are relative--while we write down Climbing-14, it's more accurate to say Climbing at DX+2, or even more generally Attribute+2 because some skills are used with multiple attributes--so an increase in DX is an increase in all DX-based skills.
>>
This was quite a while back, but I remember someone posting a fan made advantage that works as a "rage meter" or "combo points" system where hitting shit (and possibly getting hit in return) fills up an ER. Does anyone know what I'm taking about?
>>
File: MaskNWorm-Samhain-2016-09.jpg (146KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
MaskNWorm-Samhain-2016-09.jpg
146KB, 639x960px
>>54944565

Some fun stuff to do with a castle/stronghold?

Getting people. Hiring, saving from someone else, kidnapping or otherwise getting a set of skilled people can make for fun chapters of 'getting a team together'.

For example, getting a skilled Armorsmith/Weaponsmith that can provide the party and their allies with good weapons and gear.

A holy person, like a priest, cleric, ect that can provide for the spiritual needs of the castle. Obviously in a lot of games this can also be a source of magic, but even without magic a holy man with contacts among moneistaries and cathedrals can provide useful information as well as being a confessor.

An inventor/architect. To plan and develop upgrades to the castle and to lead masons and laborers performing them. In a fantastic game you could make this sort of a Da Vinci figure, a sort of TL 3.9 mad scientist.

A farmer. Calm, salt of the earth type to represent the farmers that support the castle. Not too exciting, but someone they can talk to and get the mood of the locals.
>>
>>54944565
Low-Tech Companion 3 has rules for building structures. You could bullshit some prices for furniture by using Low-Tech too, or just use prices that seem right.
>>
>>54946825
I don't know. You could do the latter with DR (Absorbing) (Heals ER only), but I don't know how to do ER recovery on attack.
>>
>>54948575
>don't know how to do ER recovery on attack
Leech/Vampiric bite (Accelerated Healing, +25%; Only Heals ER, -20%; Follow-up, +50%; PM, -10%)

Imbue 3 (Cosmic: NDR, +100%; One Skill Only, -80%, PM, -10%)+Vampiric Weapon![1]

Or something about 1 pt IA follow-up successful hits (or successful hits) activate 1 second of regeneration with speed of 1 ER/second

But as my experience told me, in gurps 95% of combats ending too fast for such pool mechanics (if you don't get caught each combat in the middle of mob of naked and paralyzed peasants), so there also another path to think about [Previous attack was successful, -20%]
>>
>>54946825
Like street fighter, or ff7 'limit breaks'?
>>
>>54948956
Exactly.

>>54948942
Now that I think about it, I'm 90% sure it was something clunky like option 3. Is the Leech approach kosher RAW?
>>
>>54949108
>Is the Leech approach kosher RAW
Should be.
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=313188&postcount=5
>>
Would a campaign set on a massive world-city generation ship with a kind of Dishonored fell to it be better off with or without Ritual Path Magic?
>>
Is there a more extensive index than this?
https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/List_of_unofficial_GURPS_Netbooks

Does anybody have any other examples that are not on this list?
>>
>>54950112
I'd skip rpm, and just use minor stuff created with powers, in addition to martial arts and ultra tech.
>>
If I were to use GURPS to run a Shadowrun campaign, how might I go about making Fatigue work more like SR 4e Strain? Is there a variant subsystem that already does that?
>>
>>54950112
I'd be tempted to include it, but make it very hard to get. There IS 'magic' but it's mostly for witches and other strange enemies, and even they know only a very narrow sort of it.
>>
1. Does anybody know of a good collection of Spells as Powers?
2. Has anybody come across an RPM variant that uses Spells as Powers rather than the completely separate system it normally uses?
>>
File: Recettear-Capitalism-1.jpg (45KB, 482x495px) Image search: [Google]
Recettear-Capitalism-1.jpg
45KB, 482x495px
So my character has plane traveled to a TL 5 world and is about to go home to a TL 4 world again. My character has merchant-15 and we all know what that means: Capitalism.

What TL 5 goods are the best to sell in a TL 4 world? I'm thinking, mirrors, compasses, Aluminium cutlery and paper are the best trading goods I can get for direct resale and profit.
>>
File: 1433688325329.jpg (83KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1433688325329.jpg
83KB, 640x960px
>>54950698
Do you mean Stun? Because SR 4 uses Stun and Physical for damage tracks, not Strain.

Or do you mean Drain, where magic powers deal damage that is resisted, and might not deal any Stun or Physical damage at all?

As it stands: FP works pretty well as a way to power magic spells that makes you tired, just like Stun damage in Shadowrun. They recover at comparable rates too.

GURPS doesn't do rolling dice to resist damage like Shadowrun, so making Drain work is harder. I'd just suggest going with SR's more reliable and steady FP cost rather then shadowrun's randomized ones.
>>
>>54951243
Technically mass produced aluminium is TL 6.

I'd say steam engines and industrial tools. You can charge a lot for stuff you bought very cheap in a TL 5 world, like dynamite, firearms and accurate clocks (there was a huge reward offered IRL for someone that could make a clock that would keep good time on a ship) but if you want to make real money it's best to sell the means of production. That means steam engines and the plans to make more, as the demand for them will explode the moment they are available at all.

Toss books on chemistry, metallurgy, medicine and electronics when you are at it.
>>
>>54951256
I was thinking Drain, and the roll to resist it.
I was also thinking about how you rack up the penalties in shadowrun from Stun damage (or regular damage), which GURPS seems to be more lenient on until you hit very low remaining levels of Fatigue.
>>
File: 1439490339683.jpg (40KB, 500x766px) Image search: [Google]
1439490339683.jpg
40KB, 500x766px
>>54951365

I think what you want is The Last Gasp from Pyramid #3/44. It's a pretty big overhaul of FP that makes taking FP damage a hell of a lot more complicated then just "don't go under the penalty threshold and otherwise ignore it"

There is a bunch of ways to ignore penalties for eating a bunch of Stun in SR, though.
>>
>>54951074
enragedeggplant.blogspot.com
>>
>>54944565
>>54944893
Pyramid 3/52 - Low Tech II "Lords of the Manor" article; an exploration of how many households and what crops you need to sustain your Wealth.

Also yes, Low-Tech Companion 3.

Pyramid 3/54 - Social Engineering "City Management" article.

City Stats.

Probably the base Social Engineering. Possibly Pulling Rank.

Mass Combat if you think that might become an issue.

I'd personally use the Abstract Wealth rules at this resolution of campaign, too.

You could also add in some other mercantile stuff from various pyramid articles, like how much $ it costs and how much $ you can make running a trade caravan (and other stuff), additional rules and advice for doing it ingame; or a different article on how to run a sailing ship that goes from port to port trading goods, accounting for export and import demand from location to location and adding a skeleton of other stuff for it (and more advice).

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff out there if you wanna run this kind of game in GURPS.
>>
>>54952242
>I almost forgot

Also, if you wanna design your stronghold physically too, look at Pyramid 3/86 - Organizations "What's in a Lair?"
It's "a guide to making headquarters for your favorite GURPS organizations. It includes a sample base -- the Lofty Heights -- suitable for inspiration or moving into!"

It also lets you put magic wards and defenses on it, in addition to "regular" upgrading and such. It's a fairly simple, but effective, system for building custom HQ.

(Lastly, keep in mind Low Tech Companion 3 has 'detailed rules for erecting buildings of all sorts, from log cabins to Gothic cathedrals'; these ones are more realistic, in-depth and thorough!)
>>
>>54944445
How do you differentiate female's human stats from male human stats in a realistic scenario?
>>
File: Capture.png (83KB, 547x375px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
83KB, 547x375px
>>54953133
>>
>>54953133
I always felt that giving -stats in any RPG was completely mistaken, myself. A PC is already an excelptional human being, if only because it was designed to be so. Even if there was only 1 woman in the world capable of besting most weightlifters in a competition, the creation of a PC would imply that now there are now 2 (in the fictional world at least). But if one were to be inclined to apply some heavy realism in to the mix, to the detriment of the aforementioned philosopy, a better and even more realistic approach would be to use a lower attribute cap. If you were to place a cap at, say, 16ST (regardless of the realism of that number), and wanted to use a 'realistic' penalty for a woman, 15ST as a cap would be vastly more realistic than a simple -1ST. Points do not measure some sort of effort, or a vague concept of verosimilitude, but rather a maleable concept of 'plot power', more versatile and powerful abilities are more costly. Assigning a point value to PCs imply they will all have more or less the same plot power (more accurately, the same opportunities to achieve that same plot power). The corollary is that if one were to reduce their own plot power voluntarily, they'd get a point compensation of the same value. With a simple -1ST template for a woman, the player would receive an extra 10 points that they can spend anywhere they please, an obvious choice is to put them into ST, therefore the template was trivialized (rather, it was trivial from the beggining), since the woman now has the same strength as a man at 0 cost to the player. -Stats are not really an answer in GURPS. Caps are more realistic and less trivial.
>>
>The Last Gasp
>Each time you pass a breakpoint by spending more than starting FP/5, you suffer -1 to DX, IQ, and HT, plus a 10% reduction in ST (round normally). (Minimum 0 for all attributes.)

Why do DX, IQ, and HT get absolute penalties (and an awkward "not below zero" note) while ST gets relative penalties? Would making all the penalties relative break anything?
>>
>>54955738
Because while IQ, DX, and HT have a limit in most campaigns, you can keep buying St. To the point where a -10% to ST can be far worse than -1 absolute. Did you even read Basic Set?
>>
>>54955816
But how does it make sense that, if I have base stats DX 20, ST 20, and 5 FP, I still have DX 10 when I'm about to fall unconscious, even though my ST has been reduced to zero? Shouldn't a character at -1×FP have ALL his stats reduced to zero, not just ST?
>>
>>54955738
Even in supers game stats are usually below 20 (except for ST), so I guess this is the reason. And if you are playing game with stats beyond that, you probably would care about Last Gasp.
It would be nice if those assumption were spelled explicitly, though.
>>
>>54955923
Not sure on the DX, but IQ and HT determine your resistance rolls for a number of tests that you should still make even when weakened or unconscious.

Kinda suck to die to the flu just because you were knocked out, don't you think?
>>
>>54956056
It seems realistic to me. Don't drunk people die all the time when they get knocked out and subsequently suffocate on their own vomit while unconscious?
>>
>>54956171
Yeah, because they have a penalty to their tests. If they dropped to 0 you'd never wake up after going to sleep.

Did you even think your proposal through before you typed it, or are you just that desperate to have a 'gotcha'?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n8mfri5ZDV1r6tekd.png (148KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n8mfri5ZDV1r6tekd.png
148KB, 500x501px
Would GURPS be good for a Worm campaign?
>>
I'm 100% new to Gurps.

GM is running Magic Fantasy

I have worked with another player to create a spellsword to be his body guard.

My inspiration is Cloud Strife.

I'm reading character right now so I am trying to figure out what exactly to do. Any tips?
>>
Have someone charts for generating quest type/patron requests?
>>
File: Skitter.jpg (44KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Skitter.jpg
44KB, 720x960px
>>54956370
GURPS is good for every campaign.
>>
how much should Talent((board games) cost?
>>
>>54957195
I think its best to write out your character in plain english, what you want them to be able to do, and maybe prioritize some things from absolutely non-negotiable down to merely nice to have.

When you say Spellsword based on Cloud Strife that is a bodyguard, that could mean a lot of things, and ten GURPS experts with that description and a point budget would come up with ten different characters, so if you want specific build advice, you might want to give more details like:
- Starting money
- Point Budget and disadvantage limit
- What books are absolutely fair game and what books are absolutely off limits.
- Also, probably the Tech level, because "Magic Fantasy," Cloud Strife, and Spell Sword sound a bit anachronistic.

As for things a newbie player should learn:
- Read all of GURPS Lite except for maybe the shortened attribute and equipment lists
- If your GM wants to use gridded combat, browse the tactical combat chapter in GURPS campaign.
- After that, quickly scan through the advantage, disadvantage, and skills list in the basic set and the equipment lists as well; don't read these cover to cover, you'll bore yourself to death (unless you are one of the rare few that like reading RPG manuals) and a lot of it won't make sense until you've played a bit to get some context; but if you like reading, or see an interesting ability name, indulge yourself.
- Always take Luck and Combat Reflexes.
>>
>>54957809
It is just skill.
>>
>>54957902
aren't games(mahjong) and games(chess) different skills?
>>
>>54957809
It's just a skill. But you have to buy it once per game, at least in theory.
>>
>>54957947
B90:
>Skills with multiple specialties are considered to be ONE skill for this purpose.

So, "Games" counts as a single skill for the purposes of Talent. This means that Talent (Games) is worth only five points, and implies that Talent (Board games) is worth even less than that. Maybe it's just a perk.
>>
>>54957947 >>54957969 >>54958112
As per B, 169 Optional Specialties, if you can buy skill as speciality one level easier, so you should can be able buy more general area at one level higher.
So probably Games IQ/A will work for any game, similar to Gambling IQ/A
>>
>>54958376
>>54958112
Racial talents also exist for one skill talents; for a talent that only gives one skill +1, it's 2 points/level.
>>
>>54958376
>Optional Specialties
The specializations of the Games skill are mandatory, not optional.

>So probably Games IQ/A will work for any game, similar to Gambling IQ/A
Gambling should be "skill at the evaluation of odds in a gaming context", not "skill at all games that happen to include gambling". If I decide to play a game of gin rummy for $100 per point of deadwood, does it suddenly switch from the Games (Gin Rummy) skill to the Gambling skill, just because I added a wager? That doesn't make any sense.

How about this?
- There is no overarching skill for all games
- Each genre of game (rummy card games, computer RTS, etc.) is an IQ/A skill
- Each game in a genre (gin rummy vs. canasta, Starcraft vs. Age of Empires, etc.) is an optional IQ/E specialty

>inb4 someone complains that Starcraft should be DX/H
>>
Is ST 19 overkill?
>>
>>54959330
Depends on the campaign and what you're trying to do with the character.

Garbage in/Garbage out anon. Give us info.
>>
>>54959330

In some campaigns yes, in other campaigns no.
>>
>>54959423
>>54959452
Dungeon Fantasy. Barbarian.
>>
>>54959480
Nope.
>>
How do I succeed as an action hero monk who doesn't use guns in an 80s gang war? I only have 200 points to work with, including disadvantages.
>>
>>54959631
Use guns, or get that silk shirt thing from MA that helps stop bullets.
>>
>>54959631
Combat Reflexes is mandatory.

If you can use Chi/Magic, you can buy Ghost Shirt from Martial Arts (20 DR against bullets, so long as you don't use guns yourself) for 20 points.

Get a couple levels of Enhanced Dodge, if your GM lets you.

Buy Luck/Extraordinary/Ridiculous Luck to reroll lucky hits by the enemy.

High move with low encumbrance so you can sneak up on people/close the distance quickly.

Maybe buy up disarming to get rid of guns once you're up close?

There are some templates in Action 3 you can check out for inspiration, but they're for 250 points, so you'd have to downgrade.
>>
>>54959631
A cooperative DM that allows access to Flesh Wounds and TV Action Violence cinematic rules and runs with the more cinematic mook rules from Action 2 and 3 or even the Chase rules as a best-case scenario.

Beyond that, as high a Dodge as feasibly possible to let you avoid fire (obviously) while also "retreating" forward (from Martial Arts; I think it's called a Slip), and high Move to match. Failing that, Stealth out the ass.

Check Action 3: Furious Fists for some 250-point templates you can use as a base. Just shave off a few advantages or attributes and you're good to go.
>>
File: 1274125069415.jpg (165KB, 640x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1274125069415.jpg
165KB, 640x1010px
Grimwyrd today!
The party have killed a resident lich, bonded with ancient treasured Dwarven earth elementals, and purged the evil from the Crawling Keep. Last week, they faced off with the priestess running the furious elven demon cultist show, and she was a Fae agent!

>The party scours the site of evil, investigating the orbs of souls found scattered about
>Each has dead cultists at the base, caught in acts of passion, dead
>The corpses are riddled with bloodroot Vines
>Syviis uses the necromancers staff to assess things, and determines the spirits should be freed to the aether, despite their magic potential
>They breach and clear, Killin demon devices and purging everything they don't trust

>Surviving elf? Cut him free and heal him
>Hidden demon infection? PURGE THAT SHIT

>They find an ancient dwarf cache, unlocked by the Dwarves now touched by elementals
>The magic gemstones alight at their touch, an intricate iris door revealing masterfully crafted Dwarven weapons from the first empire!
>Dwarves immediately inspect them for wear, thinking aloud on reproducing them if possible. Copywrite law be damned

>Confident they are alone, they set a trap for the absentee Roc riders, wanting to ambush them in their perch
>Bomrek sets a two pound corned powder bomb, with shrapnel
>When the rocs return, they eat 8dX2 + shrapnel at zero yards
>...
>4xp for everyone!
>>
File: GURPS frog tg.jpg (209KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS frog tg.jpg
209KB, 1024x768px
>>54960192
>4xp for everyone!
>xp
>>
is it possible to play fantasy campaigns with this system or it only works with more modern campaigns
>>
>>54951612
I don't suppose anybody has collected these into a PDF I can print out and stick in a binder, saving me the trouble of putting them all in a document and formatting the thing to print?
>>
>>54962214
I think it works better with fantasy than it does with modern/sci fi stuff. But it can run any of them.
>>
>>54962468
https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.ca/2017/03/sorcery-spell-index.html
The spell index indicates that there is a complete document with all of them, but I haven't found a link to it yet.
>>
>>54962214
>GURPS Dungeon Fantasy
>GURPS Fantasy
>GURPS Low-Tech
>GURPS Banestorm
>GURPS Thaumatology
>and tons of booklets and articles that supplement the above.

GURPS has some quality options to do fantasy
>>
How do I roll for hit location for multiple shots? Do I just roll each location individually?
>>
File: 1371698593744.jpg (118KB, 970x894px) Image search: [Google]
1371698593744.jpg
118KB, 970x894px
>>54960192
>Set bomb and wait for hours for it to explode.

One of the players said it was the most Irish thing he'd done in a while. Sometimes, I wonder if this group is raciest.

>>54959631

Stealth into Close Combat. Control where you fight, if you don't have lots of cover then don't fight. Knock out the lights, fill the area with smoke and run away to break line of sight whenever things get dicey. Remember that if a man with a gun chases you past a blind corner or doorway you can get them into close combat where the gun isn't much of an advantage.
>>
>>54963509
Either treat them as all hitting the same location (how I think it's supposed to work) or roll randomly for each.

When in doubt, just have everything hit the Torso hit location.
>>
>>54963531
>Set bomb and wait for hours for it to explode.
>One of the players said it was the most Irish thing he'd done in a while. Sometimes, I wonder if this group is racist.
Well, I mean, that's modern Irish warfare.

That's what you do when you're fighting a much larger force. Fight dirty, use disinformation, kill the morale of their supporters, and attack their bankroll and leaders.

That's the only way you stand any chance of success.
>>
Does anyone have that Shotgun rule compilation image?
>>
File: Shotguns.png (2MB, 2668x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Shotguns.png
2MB, 2668x1536px
>>54965034
>>
>>54965146
Why is this rule compilation a meme? Is it just calling out how much cross-referencing is in GURPS?
>>
>>54965229
It's the best resource for shooting shotguns? People ask for it because shotguns confuse them.
>>
>>54965240
Gotcha. It's actually to be useful.

Well, I mean, you gotta admit. Those are some convoluted rules spread out all over the place.
>>
>>54965253
Really to use a shotgun you just need to be aware of the rules, have the shotgun's stats and the ROF table, or cheat and do what I do and note the ROF bonus for the shotgun useing single shot or max ROF on the sheet.

12 gauge gets +2, or +4 if you fire two shells. 10 gauge gets +3, or +5 with two shots. Either is +5 with 3 shells.

USAS-12 only gets +6 for blazing away with 6 shells.
>>
I'm running a DF game and am stumped for what Physiology and Psychology specialties to include aside from the obvious ones like orc, goblin, troll, etc. Any ideas?
>>
>>54965433
Seems like a lot of detail. Are you sure it's going to come up? Otherwise I'd avoid getting that far into the weeds.

If you are in a game where that matters, your options are to have a different specialty for every sentient race, or to put them together.

Like.. if you are in a game where Dwarves, Goblins, Gnomes and Halflings all share a recent common ancestor then you could have "Small Folk" as a specaility, or pair Humans, Orcs, Ogres, and Beastfolk into "Savage Folk", while Light, Dark, Fallen and Flying Elves are "High Folk".

This classification system might be named by elves.
>>
>>54965433
It depends on what setting you play.
If you not a mr.smartass then make all your races as specialties, and if you enough mr.smartass then just pick them as racial groups.
>like orc, goblin, troll
>Goblinoids
>Monstrous Humanoids
>>
Is the intrusion system used for Transhuman space from 5th Wave any good for a pseudo-Blame! setting, or would I be better off using a homebrewed system based off of a Shadowrun modification?
>>
>>54965433
Going by DF2 I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be by the monster types (Animal, Construct, Demon, Elder Thing, etc), which is broad enough that it's more likely to come up.
>>
File: 1371700888362.jpg (377KB, 969x800px) Image search: [Google]
1371700888362.jpg
377KB, 969x800px
Grimwyld journal entry

>New enemy type: Furies

Elfblooded human cultist of Dark Spirits. With a lack of armor or training they would present little threat to a Scorned or Stoneborn Dwarf warrior alone.

They are never alone.

Fanatically driven and unnaturally savage they attack with little concern for their own survival, led by leaders eager to use them for fodder or to power their twisted and debased rituals. They use thin blades and overwhelming numbers in combat, forgoing shields or armor and relying on their grace for defense.

>Variant: Possessed Furies

Furies ridden by lesser spirits that drink in their sadism and lust, fueled by the cult's degenerate ritual are able to manifest oily shadows that cloak them and lend them grace beyond even what their eleven blood provides. Increasingly difficult to strike in combat, the dark blades they can craft from the shadows that cling to them deal terrible wounds.
>>
>>54965885
Not sure about those rules you specified, but just FYI there are also the "Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu" rules for cinematic hacking that are built to add onto the Action system (but can be used as-is wherever). Includes some prebuilt decks, programs, etc.
>>
File: 1478059566377.png (369KB, 700x797px) Image search: [Google]
1478059566377.png
369KB, 700x797px
>>54944445
Hey my dudes, is there a trove/archive of the pdfs for GURPS? I really want to play but I am poor :\

I also believe in the whole try before you buy. I purchased all of the 4e and 5e books of deendee, but that game is getting old and I find myself having to create more and more homebrew for my setting. I'd be happy to buy some books if I like the game.
>>
>>54968674
Check the op >>54944445
>>
>>54968674
OP is a .pdf
>>
File: 1483925962008.gif (1MB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
1483925962008.gif
1MB, 217x217px
>>54968699
>>54968701
Bwahaha!

Thank you mates, did even look at that, I'm used to links being posted in the post lol.
>>
>>54965885
Yeah that should be fine. It's realistic enough it doesn't give RADICAL 90S PINK MOHAWK vibes, and it's pretty straightforward, which is good because hacking isn't the main thing in Blame! It's also fairly slow IIRC, giving you ample opportunities to put some pressure on the party
>>
>>54951365

A quick and dirty "roll WP to reduce FP cost (but not sustain cost) by margin of success" could work - it depends on what type of spellcasting you're doing, but with the basic system it'd extend endurance for throwing around combat magic without making expensive things like mind control or conjuring much easier to maintain. Would want a bit more tweaking, I'm sure, but nothing strikes me as outright crazy about it.

Alternately, you could do it as Threshold Magery - where they can channel as much power as they want to pull out a big and flashy fireball, but without time to recover, the strain becomes increasingly dangerous. That could work really well for SR's balance of power between magic and technology.
>>
>>54967954
>Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu
I guess I should mention, this is an article found in Pyramid issue #3/21 'Cyberpunk'.
>>
>>54956370

Yes and no.

Narratively, Worm is big on wildly imbalanced powers, which is anathema to tabletop games. (Weaver Dice's "roll for your power and trauma" is a gimmick that requires a particular kind of player mindset.)

Taylor, for example, would be a very expensive character. Tattletale would be very cheap. Lung would be incredibly boring to play (and cost about ten times as much as anyone else, minimum). Tinkers would all cost about the same amount, and cause headaches.

"Street-level supers" is totally doable though - say, about 100pts for the character and 200-300 for the power.
>>
>>54967778
Dont forget the sex magic!

There's a bunch of sex magic too!
>>
>>54970606
Were you mad before or after the sex magic?
>>
Why is swing damage higher than thrust damage?
>>
>>54972560

More leverage and therefore force in a swing than a thrust.

Generally speaking a thrust still inflicts a worse injury against flesh (impaling is 2x and can target vitals for 3x, cut is 1.5x injury), so even if the stab doesn't carry as much kinetic energy, a stab is often worse than a slash.
>>
File: 1490121215540.jpg (12KB, 300x159px) Image search: [Google]
1490121215540.jpg
12KB, 300x159px
>>54970673
I've been mad since around 2001, 2002 maybe. DND magazine, a bit of existential dread, and endless Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox.

That said, the sex does WONDERS for any warlock who needs to charge up a curse of lineage. Ifyaknowwhatimean
>>
If I wanted to give my PCs a Steampunkish Airship as a home base/vehicle. It would be strictly non-combat (to start with). Maybe with some harpoons or grappling hooks.

Would the default vehicle rules suffice for this, as the most complex things will be piloting and possibly boarding another ship, or is there something I can use to make it more fun/easier?
>>
>>54973603
Same person here.
Is spaceships 7 overkill for this?
>>
>>54973603
>>54973631
Spaceships is really what you want to use for a base.
>>
>Ork has 14 HP
>Loses 16 HP in a round

Do I have to roll twice on HT against stunned and unconscious?
>>
>>54975084
I don't think so, but I may be missing something. It's one roll per Major Wound, not per interval. Hell, you might not even roll at all if you were nickel and dimed down to -2 and no one attack dealt 8+ injury. Since your in the negatives, though, you will be rolling at the end of every round unless you chose Do Nothing.

Note that if you were at -12 and someone dealt 16 injury, you would have to roll twice vs. death because that one attack took you past two death thresholds (-14 and -28).
>>
File: battleships.jpg (508KB, 4000x1189px) Image search: [Google]
battleships.jpg
508KB, 4000x1189px
>>54973603
Spaceships would work fine, though technically you can just give it some very loose rules and not bother getting perfect stats for it, given it's not going to be in combat. At that point the only real stats you need are things like..

How much stuff can you put on it? How fast does it go? How much fuel do you need?

But yeah, if it's mostly going to be hovering overhead while they ride an elevator car down anchor cables to the ground to deal with things then you don't need to fully stat it up..

But I would anyway, because Spaceships constriction rules are fun.
>>
>>54975084
>>54975199
It is still 2 rolls. One because of the major wound (to avoid stunning, assuming it all came from one attack) and one because he is now in negative hit points (to avoid unconsciousness).
>>
>>54975084
>>54975199

Yep. If he'd been hit with 4 buckshot pellets dealing 4 damage each then he needs make no roll to stay up, as each pellet wasn't a major wound. He would however have to roll HT at the start of his turn to avoid passing out from being at negative HP. He would also suffer from 1/2 Move and Dodge (round up) from being at less then 1/3rd HP.

If he'd been hit for 16 damage in a single attack he'd roll once for a Major Wound to see if he's knocked down and stunned.

If he'd been hit twice for 8 damage each he'd roll twice, for two Major Wounds.
>>
I'm kind of new - am converting my DnD character to GURPS. Can someone tell me if I'm being retarded or if I'm missing something obvious. My GM is also new so can't really ask him. 250/-75

ST 11 [10]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 12 [20]

Per +1 [5]

Ally - 100% of points/Appears all the time [20]
>Haven't statted him yet

Animal Empathy [5]
Heroic Archer [20]
Night Vision 3 [3]
Speak With Animals (All Land Animals, -40%) [15]
Talent: Animal Friend 1 [5]
Talent: Outdoorsman 1 [10]
Honest Face [1]
Vow (I will do all I can to protect animals) [-10]
Sense of Duty (Ally) [-2]

Camouflage 13 [1]
Animal Handling 12 [1]
Bow 16 [8]
Fast-Draw(Arrow) 17[8]
Herb Lore 10 [2]
Armory (Bows) 11 [1]
Survival (Woods) 13 [1]
Survival(Plains) 13 [1]
Tracking 14 [2]
Navigation (Land) 13 [2]
Vet 11 [1]
>>
>>54975400
It would help if you told us what you're aiming for.
>>
>>54975484

Sorry.

We're doing a low magic, fairly realistic TL3 Campaign. My character is a pretty much bog-standard DnD ranger with a pet and a bow, who loves animals. They also used to own an Inn, so has very minor social traits, which I represented with Honest Face.
>>
File: hmm.png (910KB, 1632x788px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
910KB, 1632x788px
>>54975226
>Spaceships constriction rules are fun
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54975271
IIRC, you only roll for unconscious at the end of your turn.
>>
>>54975520
Your GM should really limit disadvantages to -25 or -35 at most, but it looks okay. You'd probably want to drop a point of DX for a point or two more of HT and HP if you're low tech and low magic. Diseases and slow healing suck.
>>
>>54975660
Spaceships is a different book from Vehicles.
>>
>>54975720
My point is, what lunatic could consider Spaceships to be "fun" when Vehicles exists?
>>
>>54975701

I'll pass that on. I didn't actually take that many disadvantages.

I didn't think about diseases and slow healing... I think we might have a resident healer/doctor but yes with low magic I can see things going wrong there. I might take a 15 pt disadvantage (bringing me to 25) and drop the Sense of Duty (Ally) and then use those points for HT and HP.

Are there any general recommendations you'd give for creating GURPS characters in general? I am not looking to min-max until I understand the system a bit more.
>>
>>54975660
Well, Mr. Meme, he probably means that the rules for building vehicles that the Spaceships line uses are somewhat fun. You pick a size/mass for your ship, if it's streamlined or not, and then pick 20 systems to fill your ship's slots. Systems range from engines to armor to habitats to weapons batteries. It's straightforward but very customizable, meaning it's easy to just mess around with the system.
>>
>>54975699
Beginning of your turn, not the end. And it is still 2 separate checks. One immediately (major wound) and one at the beginning of your next turn (negative hit points).
>>
>>54975798
Sense of Duty (Ally) isn't kosher anyway. You're expected to care for your allies, not treat them like disposable minions (if you want to do that, take the Minion enhancement!). Sense of Duty (Party members) holds water though.
>>
>>54975764
One that doesn't want to spend a shit load of time bending and tweaking his design to get something workable. You can't get as detailed with Spaceships, but it is much faster and for the mathematically challenged it would be more fun.
>>
>>54975400
You don't really need Fast-Draw at 17, better put those 4 points to Bow or save up for ST 13.
Also, put at least one point in melee skill of choice. Without cinematic tweaks archery is fairly slow and you may end up in close combat.
>>
>>54975957

Thanks. What do I gain from ST 13? In the Basic Set and Low-Tech (which are the only ones I'm looking at RN), there are only bows up to ST 11?

Heroic Archery lets me shoot in close combat, is that not good enough?
>>
>>54975798
Make sure to optimize your attributes. If you're spending more than 4 points on 5 or more DX- or IQ-based skills, drop the skills by one level and funnel those points into the attribute instead. That way, those skills are at the same level, every other skill that uses that attribute rises by one, and you get a boost to secondary characteristics like Basic Speed or Will.
>>
>>54976000
Oh, I didn't noticed heroic archer, sorry. You should be fine.
ST value in table is minimum required to use this type of bow. You can buy bow with higher ST and adjust damage accordingly.
ST 13 because thr damage only increases on odd levels of ST.

Also ask if Strongbow perk (from Martial Arts iirc) is fine to further increase damage.
>>
>>54976000
No, because it can take time to "reload" a bow, and Parry is a very solid defensive option. That being said, Heroic Archer is ultra-cinematic, so you aren't as screwed without a melee option as a realistic archer would be.
>>
>>54976000
You set the ST of the bow when you buy it. (Basic, pge 270)
>>
>>54976104
>>54976112
>>54976115

Thank you all 3, I didn't know that. I will have to read the book more closely. GM is ok with Heroic Archer, but I didn't realise it was that cinematic, I just thought it was to allow firing arrows more quickly. Maybe I'll try without to see how it plays out and then we can always rebuild our characters once we learn the system a bit more.
>>
>>54976000
Do you also have infinite arrows? You need a backup just in case. Skill with a melee weapon would be a good idea.
>>
How do you build "turn undead" a la D&D clerics?
>>
>>54976389
Use the True Faith skill with the Turning modifier from GURPS Powers
>>
>>54976200

OK.

New try :

ST 13 [30]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 13 [30]
PER 13 [5]
HP 15 [4]

Ally (Always there, 100% pts) [20]
Animal Empathy [5]
Night Vision 3 [3]
Speak With Animals (All Land -40%) [15]
Talent Animal Friend 1 [5]
Talent Outdoorsman 1 [10]
Honest Face [1]

Vow (Protect all animals in need) [-10]
Greed (12) [-15]

Camo IQ+1 [1]
Animal Handling IQ [1]
Bow DX +2 (16)[8]
Fast Draw (Arrow) DX +2 (16) [4]
Herb Lore IQ-2 [2]
Armory (Bow) IQ-1 [1]
Survival (woods) Per +1 [2]
Survival (Plains) Per [1]
Tracking Per +1 [2]
Navigation (Land) IQ[1]
Vet IQ-1 [1]
First Aid IQ [1]
Knife DX+1 (15) [2]
>>
>>54976419
Oh cool. Thanks!
>>
>>54976503
Alternatively, assuming my GM has ok'd Strongbow. I could drop 10 pts of Str and then grab some hobbies or area knowledge or something. Perhaps related to innjeeping.
>>
>>54976720
Get Observation or scrounging, and Brawling or Wrestling. GURPS gets you into close combat way more often than D&D, and the rules support much more with it, like disarming your enemies or putting them in a chokehold. Also throwing with Judo and shit.
>>
>>54976503
I'd suggest looking at the Scout template from Dungeon Fantasy 1 - Adventurers. It's a 250/-50 template which does pretty much what you want to do, though it expects a very combat-heavy game.

I'd also recommend using the GURPS character sheet program (http://gurpscharactersheet.com/) to make characters, if you're not already, as it is it far easier than doing it by hand, in my experience.

Some skills you might want:
-Stealth
-Naturalist
-Climbing
-Hiking/Riding

Your Bow skill is low if your game is going to be combat-heavy; the DF templates usually have 18+.

Knife is pretty garbage as a backup weapon as they all have -1 to parry, so you might want to consider either a quarterstaff (+2 parry, good reach) or something bigger like a broadsword/shortsword depending on how much money you have available.
>>
>>54977298
A smallsword, if available, would be nice. It's a fencing weapon, so on retreats it's got as good a Parry as a Quarterstaff, and since it's Reach 1C (I think), it's great for close-close-quarters combat.
>>
>>54978834
Smallswords are reach C,1 so yeah, you can use them like a knife in close combat. The only bad part is as a 1 pound Fencing weapon you are going to be rolling 1d to see if your sword breaks a lot if you parry anything heavier then a knife.
>>
How to fix abuse of "altered trait" in RPM on hardware level?
Like slapping in ritual altered trait like "Furious Lemming" [10] for 10 energy, where "Furious Lemming" are meta-trait with useless in short-term and/or combat disadvantages colorblindness, bully, gregarious, disturbing voice [-40] and cheesy Innate Attack [50]
I mean I speak with each that guy who plays as rpm-caster and other party about this abuse, if he try it I end campaign, but after some time (month or so) he start thinking he's smartass and do this shit, what actually end our campaign and I start to find new players.
>>
>>54980912
Don't allow players to design meta traits.
>>
>>54980912
Don't allow players to use RPM.
>>
>>54980912
Don't allow players at all.
>>
>>54980912
Don't
>>
>>54981456
Do. c;
>>
>>54981204
>>54981323
>>54981381
>>54981456
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czR4qJbkSuc
>>
>>54975879
Isn't vehicles only for 3e, and a pain in the ass to convert to 4e?

Also, Generic Universal Eggplant is a fantastic Sorcery Spell Compendium. I wish it was available in a single well organized document for printing and reference, but I guess I will just have to finish copying it into GDocs and do it myself, and then regularly update the thing for my own use.

And holy fuck is this guy prolific. How in the shit does he spit out like 3000 words of game design every goddamn day, is he being paid for it/ that blog is now his fulltime job?
>>
>>54980912
Retrofit RPM to just be a mana-channeling variant of Sorcery rather than relying on FP?

The channeling is the part of RPM I like. After that, Sorcery is better.
>>
>>54976503
Why not give us a PDF of your GCS sheet?
>>
>>54983669
How do I export it?
>>
File: 1437988791087.png (1MB, 1365x694px) Image search: [Google]
1437988791087.png
1MB, 1365x694px
>>54984245
Save As then at the bottom you can pick what file type to save as. This lets you drop a neat PDF on people.
>>
>>54977298
Hmm. I'll see if I can modify the scout. I do like my animal abilities, so I'll see what I can drop. Thanks.
>>
>>54981972
>Isn't vehicles only for 3e,
Yes.

>and a pain in the ass to convert to 4e?
No, it's quite easy to convert.
>HP = 4 * (empty weight) ^ (1/3) (p. B558)
>ST = (5 * load necessary to reduce the vehicle's speed to 80% of its theoretical empty top speed) ^ (1/2) (pp. B15, B17)
(Or you could just use the 4e convention of assuming that ST is always equal to HP for powered vehicles.)
>Hnd = gMR, aMR, or wMR (whichever is applicable to the vehicle)
>SR = eyeballed based on other Fourth-Edition vehicles
>>
>>54985198
Whoops--I got those last two wrong.
>Hnd = eyeballed based on other Fourth-Edition vehicles
>SR = gSR, aSR, or wSR (whichever is applicable to the vehicle)
>>
What's a reasonable max for disadvantages? -50 seems quite common.
>>
>>54985579
Personally I rarely go below -30 unless I got a lot of social stuff (Duty, Code of Honor, Dependents, Enemies, etc)
-50 seems to be reasonable limit in most cases.
>>
>>54985579
-50 is pretty standard. I find that if you have more then 5 higher level disadvantages (more then 10 points) it's hard for all of them to come up as much or to matter as much in the story.

I'll make exceptions for single very large disadvantages, as they tend to go a long way to define a character.
>>
If astral ship have top deck and unstreamlined hull, how it will look like?
>>
>>54988584
A barge.
>>
>>54985579
I ran -50 for the start of Grimwyrd, 150/-50
They're now in the 350~400 point range and the ones they took have remained relevant throughout.
The Beastman is barely trusted at a glance, needs to earn trust from folks. Still vulnerable to fire and silver too

The elf is curious to a fault, and bought down her vow of "only speaking in elven"

The Dwarves are hilariously dorfy. And only sometimes drunk. Great xenophobes those two

And the no-longer-royal angry mage has been very nicely angry and unroyal. So fun :)

They started out on the right footing, and have grown nicely into themselves. Even at -30 they'd have done ok
>>
>>54988629
How many CP do you hand out per session, I know it's been running for a while now?
>>
I really love Transhuman Space, except its economic (and a little bit of its social) situation. Even with Broken Dreams, I find it not really dystopic enough to fit my tastes. Any suggestions on how to change that to make it a bit more aligned with cyberpunk?
>>
>>54989224
I know nothing about THS, but 'transhumanism' is directly opposed to cyberpunk, cyberpunk is a pessimistic answer to the question 'can technology change humans?', transhumanism is the optimistic answer. Changing a transhumanist setting to a cyberpunk one would mess up it's whole narrative, the opposite is also true. You'd be better served makinh a different setting, imo.
>>
>>54989311
That's a good enough point. I'm just not sure how exactly I can make a cyberpunk setting with AIs, Bioroids, shells, etc, like Transhuman Space has.
>>
>>54988661
4 per, on the most part
4 hour game time, it feels about right. They carved out being big damn heroes in the setting. Causing minor cataclysms and whatnot
>>
Those of you who have the DFRPG pdfs, how is it?
>>
>>54989353
It's still science fiction, friend, so you can shove whatever you want in there. The important thing is the question, the idea is that technology exacerbates humanity's worst qualities. If you grab any piece of technology and ask yourself 'how could thos go wrong?' You've done half theof job.
>>
>>54990257
In one sentence:
It looks good for beginners, and the production is pretty good (save for lots of compression, and the maps have the annotations on them) but if someone already owns all of GURPS proper's version of DF and supporting books, it's slight simplifications and omissions make it redundant or worse.
>>
>>54990467
>worse
How so? I'm glad to hear it looks easy for beginners as that's what I want it for.
>>
>>54990531
If it's simplified, it's either less flexible or has less information in it, which makes it objectively worse than existing DF material if you have such.

If you don't have Dungeon Fantasy already, it's worth grabbing to introduce yourself and others to GURPS.
>>
>>54973603

Me again. How would I represent the fact that this is a vehicle they get as a debt and have to repay it. Is this just a Debt and Duty?
>>
>>54992411
You could do it as a Duty, but you don't really need to codify it as a disadvantage if it is used to move the plot along and/or applies to the entire party.

Disadvantages, point totals, and all that stuff exist for the players to use. GMs should not feel constrained by them. If an NPC gives the party and airship on the condition that they owe him a large number of very serious favors, you can leave it at that; you don't have to write it out as Signature Gear (Airship; Pact, Duty, -15%).
>>
>>54992411
>>54992593

In general you don't need to put anything on the sheet for things that combine Patron and Duity. If your game has the players as deployed members of the US Marines then they get plenty of equipment, but are also expected to follow orders. Same thing with being the crew and commander of a powerful ship that also means you answer to it's owner.
>>
>>54990613
If it is simplified, that doesn't necessarily mean it's worse. There are still things in the original series that need streamlining. That's what I'm hoping the DFRPG does.
>>
>>54993494
If that is what you want out of it, it will meet expectations. I personally think the changes that were made to streamline it either don't go far enough in most cases, and go to far in others, but this is expressly my opinion, and it is a very subjective question.
>>
What kind of encumbrance levels should I be shooting for? No encumbrance for combat and a pack that brings me no more than light? Does dropping a pack in combat take a long time, can't see rules about it.
>>
>>54994046
Depends on your tech, but as a GM I allow for a quick drop. My players tend to pack for it (breakables set aside nicely, smart bags on the mules, go to on the body)

I always loved how gurps accommodates it, but doesn't make life a chore using it.
>>
Do you ever do mixed skill checks in GURPS for specific situations?

The equivalent DnD5eism is something like Athletics (CON), for swimming long distances. Atheletics is normally STR based in DnD 5e.

I was thinking of Occultism(PER), for a player who needs to roll to smell something that indicates the presence of demons, but the smell is specific and an occultist might be the only one who can place it. So instead of rolling an IQ based Occultism roll, it'd be Perception based.

Obviously that means it's easier to succeed since PER is cheaper than IQ, dunno if there's anything built-in to balance that.
>>
>>54994167
>Do you ever do mixed skill checks in GURPS for specific situations?
Yes. Page B172:
>Some skill descriptions present situations where skill rolls using other attributes would be appropriate. The GM is encouraged to dream up more! A few examples:
>>DX-based rolls against IQ-based repair skills to reach into tight corners; ST-based rolls against these skills to manhandle engine blocks and other heavy parts into place.
>>IQ-based rolls against DX-based combat skills to feint an opponent, formulate tactics, or perform minor maintenance on weapons; ST-based rolls against these skills to disarm someone using brute strength rather than finesse.
>>IQ-based rolls against DX-based vehicle-operation skills to recall traffic regulations, remember to change the oil, or identify the make and model of a vehicle; HT-based rolls against these skills to stay awake at the wheel.
>>
>>54994167
That's literally baked in the game
I believe the example from skills is a guns check using IQ instead of DX, to know how to clear a jam with immediate action

Very common. I've asked for it a few times, having wizards roll per + magery/talent to detect subtle auras, or HT/soldier rolls for strenuous marching
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-04_14-50-13.png (323KB, 666x448px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-04_14-50-13.png
323KB, 666x448px
>>54994210
>>54994213
Thanks!
>>
File: Thinking and spinning.gif (505KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking and spinning.gif
505KB, 1080x1080px
>3d6: Average 10.5, standard deviation 2.96
>1d10+5: Average 10.5, standard deviation 2.87
>>
>>54994857
1d10 is uniform, 3d6 is bell-shaped and makes it easier to represent learning curves etc for skills

might still be possible to convert system to 1d10, but could actually be more confusing to set limits if you want the probabilities to match GURPS's
>>
>>54994857
The extremes are important. They fire the soul and make for interesting reversals of fate.

6 to 15 simply isn't as fun.
>>
>>54994046
Depends.

You if expect to rely on Dodge or Fencing for defense then aim for no encumbrance in combat. Take off your pack if you think you are getting into a fight and carry it by one hand. Dropping it should be easy enough.

If you aren't worried about dodge and expect to use Parry, Block and Armor to defend yourself then it's generally worth keeping your encumbrance at Medium or so. This means you keep 1/2 your basic Move and take only -2 on task that sufferer for Encumbrance. Going heavier then that should be something you think hard on, being reduced to Move 1 or 2 in combat is a significant disadvantage.

Especially in Low Tech (TL 1-4) you really give up a lot of armor if you don't allow for any encumbrance.
>>
What advantage would you use for someone that can detect/see ki or life energy in the surrounding environment? Detect seemed like an obvious choice, but that is more for targeting individuals than getting a read on the surrounding environment as a whole. Scanning Sense seemed like the next best thing, but I'm unsure on how to limit it to living things only, like it ignores stone walls but would show the four guys on the other side of it as blips
>>
>>54998395
Detect (Life, precise) would be one way, and would work no matter how thick the walls are. The bad: it's expensive.

Penetrating Vision (4) (Only Living -20%) would be cheaper, and let you see life though walls, but only up to 2 foot thick.

I'd avoid scanning sense, as you'd be sending out Chi waves.
>>
>>54998791
>I'd avoid scanning sense, as you'd be sending out Chi waves.
True, that would be an issue. Thankfully, I found some stuff by Kromm that helps a lot. Detect RAW stinks, so I'm using Kromm's RAI as expressed here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1858551&postcount=70
>>
How many Chupacabras (From MH 3) is too much for 4 well armed 1940s detectives?
>>
>>54999351
How many points are the detectives? What are their skills and attributes? Combat capabilities? What weapons are they using? Where are they fighting? Are they fighting on their terms, or the chupacabra's? We need a lot, lot, lot more information, friend.
>>
>>54999371
200-225 points. Most of them have between a 12 and 14 in guns, except for one 18 guns dual pistol shootman. One has a shotgun, one has a BAR, one has a tommygun, and one has two m1911s.
The first fight will probably be a fight with either a lone chupacabra ambushed by the group or a group of cupacabra ambushing the players. There's probably going to be a big nest of them somewhere, which the players may have to fight.
All the fights will probably occur at night.
>>
>>55000062
I think they'll be able to handle one in a fight. DR 2 isn't enough to deter anything except 20 gauge shotshell, and Dodge 10 isn't enough to dodge concentrated fire from a tommygun or a few shells of buckshot. The real thing they have to worry about is HT 14. This thing is going to keep coming until it's taken 126 HP worth of injury. Also has Danger Sense, Combat Reflexes, and Per 13, so even ambushing one, let alone a nest, is going to be a tall order. Pistol guy should be aiming for the vitals or skull with every shot, since pistols do pititful damage.

If they ambush it in a close quarters situation (e.g. bar, alleyway, etc.), then the chupacabra is likely to be able to take one down, unless they have their hands on bulletproof or flak vests.

Their best bet is to set up an ambush with the BAR at a distance, so they have plenty of time to hose it down before the Chupacabra can get near them. I'd say a minimum of 20 yards, which its Acc and a few seconds of aim will overcome easily. A shot to the leg is ideal here, as it's doubtful that a shot to the vitals will actually put it down with HT 14.

All-in-all, your players should be able to handle them if they A) play to their strengths as the smarter species, and B) focus fire because a Chupacabra is not going to go down until it's at -5xHP unless they're pretty lucky.
>>
File: Metal Gear.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Gear.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>54944445
I've heard that GURPS was a good rpg system for firearm combat
I want to run a campaign for friends that has a very metal gear-esq setting, and im not sure if GURPS is good for it
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 202x250px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 202x250px
>>54944445
Rate my stands abilities:
>Moody Blues:
Choose a target and you can see what he did in the last xFP spent minutes. you can see it in real time, make it fast forward, stop it or even rewind it
>20th century boy:
when activated you can't make any movement. you are immune to any forces and don't need to eat, sleep etc... 1FP for any force you receive
>Never gonna give you up:
you can create a successful meme who will spreads really quickly and be believed/used. 0FP but if you make a new meme the old one will dissipate
>Roundabout
every living being of sm-1 or more in a radious of 5m+1m*fp spent change his place in clockwise order with the other. make a will roll to not stun yourself with the change with positive modifiers if you are the caster or if you expect it. cost 5 FP
>Poker Face
You play with a poker deck of cards. you always have to have a card. the value of the card is equal to the value of two dices (if Ace min 3) based on the suit (Hearts HT, Diamonds IQ, Clubs Dx, Spikes ST). if joker pick a card from the deck at your choice in any moment, if jack, queen or king +1,+2,+3 to the skill. when you use the card discard it and draw another
>>
>>55000723
>GURPS is good for it
That's always the answer
>>
File: OldFront.jpg (467KB, 1340x1040px) Image search: [Google]
OldFront.jpg
467KB, 1340x1040px
I made this based on classic space atlas #1. I'm not really sure why, I just felt compelled to do so. I thought I'd show it to you guys because of GURPS.
>>
>>55000723
>>54957458
>>
>>55000210
DR 2 goes a long way to softening the impact of 12 gauge buck, taking it from 3.5 to 1.5 damage per pellet. It's less useful vs .45 where you will go from 10.5 to 7 average damage and still fuck someone up pretty hard with a burst.

>>55001173
Not a bad map. Going to get into some Sci-Fi space opera?
>>
whats up /gurpsgen/ what kinda shit do I need to run a mecha campaign?

I want it to be mechas with capes and swords in fantasy.
>>
If I'm introducing my group to GURPS do you think wildcard skills are an easier sell than the big ass skill list?
>>
>>55000723
I'm running a MGS setting in GURPS. It works well, but the stealth rules are super basic and you'd be best finding a homebrew or alternate stealth system.
>>
>>55002163
Modular Mecha from Pyramid 51 or build them as characters. Ultra-Tech. Basic Set.

>>55002390
Depends on the group. If they like granularity, they'll like the skill list as-is. If they don't, then wildcards.
>>
>>55001098
Nah. GURPS sucks for narrative-logic games, most anime shit, high-level stuff that's actually fun. It's a good system, but it has a very strong simulationist philosophy which doesn't lend itself well to a lot of genres.
>>
>>55002453
>Nah. GURPS sucks for narrative-logic games, most anime shit, high-level stuff that's actually fun.
You are sorely mistaken.
>>
>>55002453
you could not use the most realistic rules and solve the problem
>>
>>55002453
How does GURPS not work for any of the above? Narrative logic is well-emulated with Power-Ups Impulse Buys, "most anime shit" is such an enormous category that it means nothing at all, and "high-level stuff that's actually fun" can and is being done in GURPS. Go read Ghostdancer's Aeon after action reports.
>>
>>55002468
>I will run one system for everything because I suffer from autism

You are literally as bad as people who force an anime mecha campaign into DnD.
>>
>>55002531
It's not just about the modular rules, it's the baseline game philosophy and the core rules. For example FATE operates on fundamentally different principles, having very little crunchy mechanical depth and loaning it out to the roleplay, setting and character through aspects. FATE is built around being able to retcon and change things on the fly, producing a plot point or an item that was established 'offscreen', whereas GURPS is fundamentally from the position where that shit needs to be established beforehand with very limited mechanics to allow for it.

Also other systems are often much better designed to 'just roll with' stuff, often having broad mechanics which specifically call for light homebrewing and the GM/group making calls - I'd point to FATE and it's stunts again, while GURPS is very carefully balanced with lots of moving parts that can be easily thrown out by a short-sighted GM call, and the 'proper' solution is buried in pyramid #830 from 2nd edition.

GURPS is very good for simulationist shit. Real-world situations are what it does best, and the further you get from that, the more the system shudders. Attempting to run shit with fundamentally different basic assumptions about the rules of reality at best is applies to 2-3 mechanics the players can use and at worst just shitcans the system entirely and you end up running a clunky hybrid.

For real, saying a system has shortcomings isn't a criticism of it.
>>
>>55002540
>I make generalizations about a system I obviously know nothing about
There is a right answer to the question 'what is GURPS NOT good for?' and it's 'high-powered supers', anything else just outs you as a fool talking out of his ass.

>>55002636
>For real, saying a system has shortcomings isn't a criticism of it.
It would be good criticism if you had the shortcomings right. You don't. The system is very minimalistic, and only a few core mechanics are necessary to make it functional. Most realistic rules have an appropriate cinematic alternative (cleanly labeled for you in the books, further indications that you haven't actually read them) and some options that are used even in 'realistic' campaigns are clearly narrative-based, like Luck and Impulse Buys. You claim to know the philosophy behind GURPS yet get it wrong every time, it's not 'model reality', it's 'emulate the genre'. The fact that a large amount of genres take reality as a baseline might create the illusion that GURPS seeks to recreate it as well, but genres that don't are most definitely supported. You don't even have to dig deep to get them right. Read a little.
>>
>>54989224
>>54989311
Check out eclipse phase; its a different system but the fluff/setting stuff is great and has some very dark elements to it. So you can really play with the tone and go either way.
>>
>>55002797
while i agree with you i can understand>>55002636.
GURPS is so good at simulations it's pretty fucking hard to imagine it in other genres
>>
>>55000723
GURPS is good for that stuff. Check out Tactical Shooting and SEALS in Vietnam.
>>
>>55002797
You literally typed out all that without understanding what the term 'simulationist' means. That's somewhat impressive. You also didn't address any of the actual points I made other than vaguely going 'b-but gurps is really simple!'. I specifically mentioned the cinematic rules you're holding up as the gold standard of flexibility and explained why modularity isn't a solution to the limitation I'm noting.

You clearly dont understand tabletop design, let alone GURPS, say hi to Dunning and Kruger for me.
>>
>>55000723
Gun-Fu and the Action series would help immensely with a MGS-inspired game. I'd take a look at Tactical Shooting for lingo and flavor, but MGS is solidly in the cinematic territory, making TS's realism-focused rules inappropriate.
>>
>>55003812
Considering GURPS is a toolkit that you can pick and choose rules from, it looks like you're the one kidding yourself.

Saying GURPS can't do something well is inaccurate, a more proper summation is 'I suck at using GURPS to do what I want, but am too proud to ask for help."
>>
>>55003812
>>55004137
Explain what's giving you trouble with 'anime crap' and we can probably help fix the issue. That's what Gurpsgen is for. As far as GURPS requiring narrative causality....Have you even read the Gizmo Advantage or Luck?
>>
>>55004137
GURPS is a toolkit, but it is also a framework. It is built upon a set of assumptions and outcomes, and while the modular nature of it allows for a fair amount of mechanical flex within its simulationism, 'adjusting sliders' so to speak, it's inherently bad at running shit outside that framework.

>>55004250
Gizmo and Luck are single mechanics bolted onto a larger system, I've already said that they do allow for limited mechanical access to stuff that would typically be in a narrative system, but they still require pre-purchase and point totalling and limitation etc etc etc

If you've ever played FATE and you've also played GURPS, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. GURPS cannot do narrative plot progression.
>>
>>55006350
...Yeah, you're not making sense. What exactly do you think 'narrative plot progression' means?
>>
Why should I increase a skill above level 18?
>>
>>55006789
To soak penalties for time, circumstance, lack of proper equipment, range/task difficulty penalties, etc.
>>
>>55006789
To avoid penalties. The main one is usually guns, because it turns out hitting a moving target at range in less than optimal conditions is hard.
>>
>>55006789
If you're making a mad scientist or gadgeteer sort, you usually need a 18 or higher in your -lowest relevant skill- to invent anything worth 100k or more.

Piles up fast when you're inventing above your TL.
>>
>>55006789
The ability to handle penalties and still be successful. If I have Lockpicking-16, I've maxed out my effective skill...against basic bitch locks. If I want the stuff hidden behind a really really good lock that gives -6 to rolls to pick it, suddenly I've got a schlubby 50/50 chance. If I had Lockpicking-22, though, I would roll against against the max of 16 against almost any lock, and I also have a better-than-even chance against those insane locks that give -10!
>>
>>55006350
>GURPS is a toolkit, but it is also a framework.
Elaborate this poorly explained assumption
> It is built upon a set of assumptions and outcomes,
Like?
>and while the modular nature of it allows for a fair amount of mechanical flex within its simulationism, 'adjusting sliders' so to speak
I really hope you're talking about using limitations and enhancements...
>, it's inherently bad at running shit outside that framework.
Examples? What can't it do?
>>
>>55006957
High-Tier Supers is the only thing that comes to mind.
>>
Make luck and serendipity into skills, and create an attribute called Happenstance or Coincidence.

Use relative skills to the situation as complementary rolls, and then roll against Coincidence-based Serendipity plus complementary bonus plus whatever penalty the GM deems appropriate, and I feel like you are almost halfway to GURPS: Fate.
>>
>>55007163
Or, even more simple.... Coincidence/Luck is an attribute, maybe defaults to 10, and is +/-15 points a level, and you roll Coincidence based skills for narrative control.

Coincidence based rifle to find a pack of ammo under the desk you just dived behind.
Coincidence based prospecting for a good stone quarry to be next-door.
Quick contest of knot tying vs climbing both based on coincidence to retroactively slick down a rope with oil that your enemies are currently scrambling up.
>>
>>55007163
The Pointless GURPS variants in Pyramid change how disadvantages work into something pretty FATE-y. They're worth (the equivalent to) -10 points each, and they're simple descriptive traits like Antisocial or Naive. They come into play when the GM says so and give you wildcard/destiny points when they fuck you over. Those points are explicitly for narrative control. Hell, the Virtues from Pointless Monster Hunting are even two-sided like traditional FATE aspects.
>>
>>55007519
Yeah, that too, which is a massaging of the rules from Impulse Buys, but for a slightly larger setting switch where people can wantonly shape the narrative without limits instead of "n times a session," what I came up with, I feel, is extremely close... except, as you mention, it doesn't exactly capture the aspect bit well.
>>
How would I build a good gish (to use the DnD term). I want a sort of pyromancer warrior, like pic related. I'm thinking either imbue, or linked attack. Plus a bit of Sorcery for spells.
>>
>>55009572
If your GM is using Sorcery, just write up a flaming weapon buff spell or use the structure for sorcery buffs and make it a separate advantage.
>>
>>55009703
One you got that, go to town on armor and weapons.

What's your setting and TL?
>>
>>55009775

TL3^, basically Not!Eberron
>>
>>55006350
>Gizmo and Luck are single mechanics bolted onto a larger system
Try these on for size:
>Buying Success and Player Guidance (B347)
>Foresight (Pyramid 53)
>Gizmo
>Higher Purpose
>Power Ups: Impulse Buys (Greatly expands Buying Success and Player Guidance for "fate point" economies)
>Luck
>Serendipity
>Ultrapower (Supers)
>Wildcard Powers (Supers)
>Wildcard Skills
And those are just a few examples off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more with things like Destiny, Ham Clause, etc.

>they still require pre-purchase and point totalling and limitation etc etc etc
No shit, really? You have to make a character before you can play? What sort of crazy world is this? And if you really want to buy advantages mid-play, you can. Read Schrödinger’s Advantage (B33).,

You clearly have not read GURPS. I'll give you a pass on Foresight, Impulse Buys, and Supers, since those aren't obvious things you'd read on your first pass through GURPS, but the rest of the shit you're spewing is just outright wrong, if it was even communicating a coherent idea in the first place (GURPS can't do "narrative plot progression"? The fuck do you mean?)
>>
File: 1276100729928.jpg (725KB, 1707x1313px) Image search: [Google]
1276100729928.jpg
725KB, 1707x1313px
>>55009803
>Eberron
>Much nig nog
>>
How muscular are you with strength 13?
>>
>>55010560
Muscular enough that people notice it when they see you. 16+ makes you look like those guys who gym all day/take 'roids. See B14.
>>
>>55010560
STR 13 is pretty athletic. Enough to justify taking Attractive as you'd look decent naked.
>>
Was gonna make Lorne Malvo as a character for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. campaign coming up with my buddies, any idea what kind of skills I should give him? Advantages?
>>
>>55007032
People only say "high-tier supers" because the amount of book keeping is a pain, not because it cant do it.
>>
>>55011663
And how much the GM has to police character sheets when players have hundreds of points to dick around with.
>>
>>55011873
exactly. GURPS doesn't break down, the players do!
>>
>>54990613
What does it streamline?
>>
>>55011641
Cultureless swine here. Who dat?
>>
>>55011890
>>55011873
>>55011663

GURPS is that guy that points out how absurdly OP the Flash is, and how many powers being a 'speedster' really is.

>>55010687
>>55010560

The Build table is pretty flexible, but for a human ST 13 typically means around six feet tall and 190 pounds healthy weight, and could range higher. You are defiantly in big guy territory.
>>
How compatible is standalone dungeon fantasy with the other gurps Books?
>>
>>55013329
Save for a few optional rules, fully compatible.
>>
>>55013329
Damn near anything. Low-Tech is especially compatible. So is Martial Arts, Fantasy, etc.
>>
File: Malachite-Crystal-Skull-13.jpg (81KB, 672x680px) Image search: [Google]
Malachite-Crystal-Skull-13.jpg
81KB, 672x680px
Give me a quick rundown of magic in GURPS.

I'm not sure exactly how I want shit to work or what I want to be done, but I'm thinking of a basic magic system using a consumable magic dust to power it, allowing basic things like fire bursts, healing magic, conjure lasers, etc. This magic dust could also be used as a currency and certain machines can use the dust for things, like certain magical abilities, and vending machines can take the dust and turn it into items on its menu, or break things down into dust for people.

Another field of magic I'd like would be one that involves using occult eldritch powers to cause invocations, would have effects like causing temporary or permanent mutations to both creatures and the environment (replace your arm with reaching tentacles or trap an enemy in a suddenly conjured tarpit) cause illusions and perception changes, maybe even limited localized weather control at higher levels. This field of magic could also allow shit like accurate fortune telling, mind reading and telepathic communication. Should be much more involved/risky to perform than the standard more normal/generic magic, possibly have corruption/insanity as a penalty for failure.

I really don't know what I'm talking about as far as magic goes in GURPS design, or what specific spells I want to have but that's the kind of general idea I have in mind so far. It's a system I need to flesh out more, but I need some good resources or tips to read over at least.
>>
>>55012495
Eh, not a huge deal not knowing this character. He's the villain in the first season of Fargo, I recommend the shit out of that show in general. He's kind of like if Anton Chigur from No Country for Old Men was much less imposing and a lot more cunning and sneaky.
>>
>>55013460
There are like five or so very different magic systems and oodles of variations of each. Depending on which you go with will determine how you handle the things you want. GURPS: Thaumatology is a great place to start, and Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic and Thaumatology: Sorcery are two major splats that are solid inclusions as well.

Depending on the system, dust may either be treated as equivalent to FP or gathered energy--if it took X FP/energy to cast the spell originally, it would take X units of Dust in your setting--or a simple and direct application of the Trigger limitation if spells are built as advantages as in Sorcery or Magic as Powers.

I'm not really sure what you're asking for in the second part. You summon not!Cthulhu and it warps the surrounding environment/everyone in it?
>>
>>55013460
GURPS Thamatalogy has great resources for this. I'd say that your idea of basic set, safe magic mixed with money sounds like a really fun conceat, especally if you can turn loot/items into dust and back in the field.

I like that idea.

For your second idea, maybe a leveled disadvantage for critical failures when useing unsafe magic? Each level of Corruption gives -1 reaction to people that reconize and disapprove of it and every 5 levels of it turns into a 5 point disadvantage, or adds 5 points to an exsisting disadvantage.

So getting a lot of corruption could make you more and more crazy, or negatively mutated.
>>
File: 1380057338922.jpg (135KB, 720x500px) Image search: [Google]
1380057338922.jpg
135KB, 720x500px
>>55013687
>>55013692
>You summon not!Cthulhu and it warps the surrounding environment/everyone in it?
Yeah, essentially.

>safe magic mixed with money sounds like a really fun conceat
Yeah I've been looking at ways to make money more interesting in my setting, it's kind of a post-apocalyptic setting and society is only in the tribal/citystate/small state/early nation-state type of state so I was thinking that unified currency wouldn't really be a thing beyond the magic dust, other settlements would have different trade goods and commodity currency, like coastal cities growing different types of algae that were bio-engineered by the ones that came before to be useful for shit and drying it into pellets to use as coins, and maybe a more warlike civ would use bullets and such as their main trade good, or someone more into crafts could use finely machined parts like bolts and nuts made of some rare corrosive resistant metal. I dunno just random thoughts. The inconvenience of having to do currency exchange would be lessened by the existence of vending machines and dust mongers, and using the local currency for trade is preferred as dust has to weighed to determine value, compared to trading in commodity currency that local vendors have given an accepted value for quick trade.

I'll give those books a look then.
>>
>>55013645
So remorseless killer basically? I haven't seen NCFOM either, but that looks like how the wiki describes him. Indomitable and Unfazeable are both good for this; the character is unwavering and never panics or looks surprised or really even shows a reaction at all. The Smooth Operator talent and most of the skills it includes coupled with a few levels of Charisma fit Malvo's characterization as a charismatic and crafty manipulator. Fighting skills might be sub-par; he seems to kill a lot of people with a gun, but lack of detail keeps me from determining if it's an assassination/execution or an actual firefight; if your target is helpless, surprised, or totally unaware, you don't really need Pistol-16 to plug them in the head from a few feet away.
>>
>>55013883
Thanks, Anon. That much is plenty helpful.
>>
>>55013820
Does eldritch summoning magic need to be mechanically separate from dust magic? If not, it's fairly easy to game out in most magic systems; the casters opens a gate to the Far Realm and lets whatever beasties that come through wreak havoc as they see fit for as long as they can stay in our dimension. It's suicidally reckless, uncontrollable, and kills the caster either quickly in the form of slavering maws of horrors from beyond time and space or slowly with extradimensional corruption, radiation, madness, and mutations, but by God it is powerful.
>>
>>55014760
>Does eldritch summoning magic need to be mechanically separate from dust magic?
I don't really think so, but would be interesting if it was. Like summoning circles and rituals being involved instead of more symbol spell conjuring. I'm thinking the dust magic would use some kind of focus like a wand/staff/pendant/ring whatever that helps them channel the dust which is really some exotic mater superscience nanites to be able to use its powers, while the eldritch magic would be more like drawing pentagrams and lighting candles and chanting kind of stuff. But I dunno, they could just be simple abilities.
>>
>>55015014
Alright, sounds cool. Regardless of what magic system you pick for Dust, have eldritch summoning be simple and straightforward, like spending 30 minutes and rolling against the lower of Ritual Magic and Symbol Drawing to open a gate; there's no need to bust out a second magic system for such a specific effect. For a bit of extra detail, Occultism could act as a complementary skill roll, Hidden Lore (Mythos) would be needed to call specific entities, and the 30 minutes spent drawing the circle are subject to the rules for Time Spent.

Or am I misunderstanding you and you want eldritch magic to be a tad more controllable/less up to GM fiat? That option *would* warrant a separate magic system. Take a look at Powers: Divine Favor for the game effects of having a Patron with godlike might and sometimes unforeseen effects; you can use it as a base for begging eldritch beings for favors by adding in corruption mechanics from Horror and having general prayers always come with a huge drawback or monkey-paw-like side-effect.
>>
Any chance somebody could upload the DF pdfs? The second adventure seems to be missing quite a few details that must be in the first.
>>
File: spaceatlas.jpg (445KB, 1480x1153px) Image search: [Google]
spaceatlas.jpg
445KB, 1480x1153px
>>55001754
>Not a bad map. Going to get into some Sci-Fi space opera?
I plan on doing a space opera game. I made a Space Atlas map as a dry run for homebrew shit.

I don't know if anyone else has ever looked at the classic GURPS Space Atlas books, but they're actually pretty good. They even contain maps of 3 dimensional space that are actually good, giving Cartesian coordinates for the planets with distances measured in parsecs, in spite of actually giving useful information the maps also aren't a visual clusterfuck. SJ games was doing a better job of depicting regions of 3 dimensional space in 1993 than most games do at present.
>>
GURPS uses hex maps, right? What's the best place to find premade ones?
>>
>>55018302
Could you be more specific?
>>
>>55018344
As in maps with a hex-grid overlay. Im specifically looking for both modern environment maps and maps of traditional elemental realms (fir, water, etc.)

Is there a depository or something that I could easily search through?
>>
>>55018433
http://www.rpgmapshare.com/
>>
>>55018433
You can put a grid overlay on a map trivially with any random piece of image editing software.
>>
How would I model an attack that deals lightning damage and jumps to another target.

I am using Innate Attack w/ follow up, but I want that follow up to be able to ricochet to one other different target. Something like Multistrike +20%, Must Attack Different Target -30%?
>>
>>55019551
Burning electric attack with Linked Attack (+10% always, -10% must target other enemy, +10% count range from first target)
>>
>>55019842
>Burning electric attack with Linked Attack (+10% always, -10% must target other enemy, +10% count range from first target)

That sounds good. I was toying with the idea of having an area of effect that was selective but could only hit up to X enemies, but I have no idea how to price that. I'll definitely take your idea though.
>>
File: 1501444349541.jpg (81KB, 345x303px) Image search: [Google]
1501444349541.jpg
81KB, 345x303px
Don't you dare die on me, you sunnava bitch.
>>
>>55022376
I AM ASCENDED
>>
>>55018302
Any map injected into roll20 can have a hex map overlaid, easily
>>
>>55022416
is there a roll20 setting for that? i thought it was squares by default
>>
>>55022519
Anon, please don't tell me you've been using inferior square grid as a replacement due to your ignorance. Yes, you can set the grid to hexagons.
>>
>>55022519
It is squared by default. There are settings other than the default settings.
>>
When my sailing ship lacks automation, then i really need to assign crewman in Workspace on each Habitat (No life support)?
>>
>>55022546

(I've never run tacticool combat on roll20 because I didn't know it could do hexes).
>>
>>55022563
Consider it a cabin boy or other menial servant.
>>
>>55022577
Roll20 has map tools for putting overlays on maps. The pain in the ass is getting the scaling right.
>>
>>55022563
It's really weird that I can't find the effects of being undermanned and not meeting your ship's crew/workstation requirements. I'd assume that either the ship just deals with whatever the penalties are (lack of hygiene for crew, HT penalty to ship, etc.) or you simply have the workstation filled by general crew; with four people to a bunkroom and multiple bunkrooms per system, it's not unreasonable to have the work of one maintenance crew split up among its 8+ inhabitants, because at that point, it's asking crew to clean up after themselves.
>>
>>55022642 >>55022888
I'm more worried about thing that he need accommodations, supplies and some wage...

It is possible to move such service crewman say from Habitat WS to weapon battery as gunner when combat is near possible, or boarding crew?

>multiple bunkrooms per system
Yeah, on such big ships as SM 8 it is not a real deal, but i need to deal with SM 6 ships
>>
>>55023019
No life support means double the amount of habitats. A SM+6 ship normally has one per system, which doubles to two, and if each habitat is a bunkroom rather than a cabin, you can squeeze in eight people per system.

And yeah, you don't need habitat technicians during combat. >>55022825's idea of cabin boys works, but so does shoving all the cleanup detail onto the one general crewman no one actually likes.
>>
>>55022888
The only effect is that the system can't be "operated" when there is nobody to operate it. For a system that doesn't actually do anything, like a bunkroom there's no mechanical effect at all unless the GM wants to come up with a living in your own filth penalty.
>>
>>55023263
>system can't be "operated" when there is nobody to operate it
Well, my control room have 1 control station for 1 operator, and in addition it require 1 serviceman in WS for lacks automation, same thing with my weapon battery -- 10 weapon stations for 10 operators and 1 WS for 1 serviceman.
>>
>>55023486
Those extra guys are obviously messengers.
>>
>>55006789
>>55006851
Melee weapons also have big potential for penalties - deceptive attacks, targeted attacks (especially eyes and protected asians). Also the bigger the skill, the better is parry, and big parry allows you to sacrifice some of it for riposte.
>>
>>55023019
SM 6 Habitats have zero work-spaces, they don't need any full time crew. It's not until SM 10 that a habitat system needs a work space.
>>
>>55025884
He's using the No Automation variant from Vol. 7.
>>
How do you handle character creation in Dungeon Fantasy using the Henchmen templates?

I've been thinking of letting players pick their profession (the 250 point templates) and then they use the corresponding henchmen template, but they're only allowed to take traits/skills/etc. that are shared between the profession they have in mind and the henchmen template. This'll cut down on the problems that arise when using henchmen templates like Initiate where you can easily build a good cleric, evil cleric, druid, or shaman all from the same template.

Are there any other approaches
>>
boy howdy do i love autistic levels of detail and rules for things that are so straightforward you could just as easily say they happen
>>
>>55026767

such as?
>>
>>55026767
You don't really have to use any of these "autistic" rules. The only real "autistic" rules that are important are the char creation ones. And you don't really need to use afflictions or the limitations and enhancement rules if you don't want.
>>
>>55026891
desu I'd say flight is overly obtuse.
>>
>>55026543
So you're letting the players do multiclass-lite? That's certainly an interesting way to do it, but why not just have them use the hybrid lenses from DF3? I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
File: 1482535443160.jpg (10KB, 324x451px) Image search: [Google]
1482535443160.jpg
10KB, 324x451px
>>55026957
Fucking how?
You buy flight. You get a flight speed. Based on your limitations, you fly. Wtf. How is this autism?
>>
>>55029124
He may be talking about the rules under Special Movement (p. B394) like aerial movement and high-speed movement. I don't really agree that they're autism, though; ascending and descending admittedly can get annoying, but 3d combat will always be a bitch unless you just ignore that third dimension entirely and at that point why even bother, and I like the rules for high speed movement and pushing the envelope due to D-D-D-DRIFTO.
>>
One of my players wants to take Shape Metal. What can and can't he do?
>>
How do I beat people to death with my dick? Crushing innate attack?
>>
>>55030349
use rules for slam, buy dick DR
>>
>>55030217
Read the control advantage? Maybe to within the limits he bought it?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170823-182836.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170823-182836.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>55030512
>>55030217
Powers 90
New advantage : control

Read up on it
>>
>>55030512
Shape Metal is a spell in Magic btw.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170823-183734.png (450KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170823-183734.png
450KB, 1080x1920px
>>55030602
Oh okay then

Read the spell description? It's the most vancian description of possibility available
>>
>>55030739
Well yeah I know that much. But does this mean he can change his axe into a pick? or rip a hole into a safe? or render an enemies sword useless?
>>
>>55030773
enemy's*
>>
>>55030773
Yes. Yes. Yes.
>>
>>55030828
Alrighty! I suppose I could give penalties to his spell level depending on what he wants to do, and make him roll against Armoury (Melee Weapons) if he wants to manipulate metal to make a useful weapon.
>>
>>55030923
That fits.

Remember that Shape Metal is a Regular spell; it can only affect one discreet thing at a time. He can turn a sword into slag, but he can't turn the sword of every bandit around him into slag, and while he can affect a breastplate or a helm, he cannot affect an entire suit of armor at once. On top of that, with the range penalties Regular spells suffer, I have to question the practicality of battlefield usage.

Ripping holes into safes is 100% legit though.
>>
>>55030773
>But does this mean he can change his axe into a pick?
Yes, but roll vs. Armoury/TL (Melee Weapons).
- Critical success: Fine (balance)
- Normal success: Good (balance)
- Normal failure: Cheap (balance)
- Critical failure: Cheap (balance and materials; the mage opened up an invisible imperfection in the metal's interior)
>>
File: blah.png (29KB, 799x405px) Image search: [Google]
blah.png
29KB, 799x405px
>>55031305
See also LTC3.
>>
>>55031360
I never really liked those rules for anything but decoration and art. A master craftsman shouldn't need Fine quality tools, Extra time and luck to make Fine quality equipment.

I'd prefer that Fine gives -4 to the attempt and requires more expensive materials, while a Very Fine attempt gives -6 and requires yet more expensive materials. If you haven't paid extra you can't make a masterwork armor, weapon or tools no matter how well you roll.
>>
>>55015255
>you want eldritch magic to be a tad more controllable/less up to GM fiat?
Yeah pretty much, I'd like it to be a more readily usable system players can take care of mostly for themselves without me having to constantly look after them while doing it. I'll read into those sections.
>>
>>55031723
Could make it two techniques or something, that specialize by the type of equipment you produce by weapon skill.
Cheap Material (Item Type) -9 to -0 and
Quality (Item Type) -9 to -0
Start with something like, you need material worth 80% of the finished product, nominally; including the cost factor for Very Fine.
You can succeed if you are super skillful, with material that is worth 20% of the final cost, if you can eat a -9 penalty.
Likewise, you don't magically get very fine weapons by stupid luck, you have to be attempting to make them. so you need to attempt armory at -18 to make a very fine weapon with super shitty material. If you are awesome at making very fine rapiers, you might be able to make it -9; and if you are used to working with subpar materials, you might be able to make those very fine rapiers at -0.

Scale those penalties to make smithing more or less difficult as you please, but at this point, this is about 20 points to become modestly good at creating one fantastic weapon with dirt cheap materials, which is approximately with my back of the napkin math, close to 10 years of apprenticeship in training hours... not to mention the time a smith would probably be devoting to the whole slew of relevant complementary skills in the meanwhile.
>>
How is an archer supposed to hurt anyone with armor? even cheap DR 3 chain nerfs my 1d6 arrows so they do as much damage as harsh language or a UN resolution.
>>
>>55034232
Spend a few more turns aiming, then shoot a lightly-armored location, arms and legs sometimes are less armored than the torso. Or get bodkin arrows.
>>
>>55029124
>>55030116
Well yes, now tell me the gravity of this planet.
>>
>>55034232
There are a few options.
>Get bigger
Archers aren't lithe waifs; serious bows have immense pull and call for strong arms, so it's reasonable to up your ST.
>Get perky
The Strongbow perk gives you +ST according to your skill. It's not a lot, but it's a cheap way to up your damage a touch.
>Use the right gear
Bodkin points (p. B277) give an armor divisor of (2); you lose out on that sweet sweet impaling modifier, but I'd take 4x1 injury over 0x2 any day.
>Aim for the right locations
Throats, hands, and eyes are generally less or unarmored. Go for those locations instead of shooting at the torso which is right behind the Skull in terms of "Location Most Likely the Be the Heaviest Armored." If you're having trouble hitting these locations right now, for the love of god spend a few turns Aiming. You're not wasting a turn; you're investing in your eventual attack instead of rushing in, whiffing it repeatedly, and wasting a quiver's worth of arrows.
>>
>>55034542
1G.
>>
>>55034543
>>55034470

A ST 11 man with Strongbow and Bow at DX+2 can use a ST 13 longbow for 1d+2. Add Fine arrows ($6 each, worth it) and you are at 1d+3. Aim for the Vitals and you hit for 6.5 average, 3.5 after DR 3 armor and 9 to 12 wounding damage.
>>
Can someone point me to some radiation pyramids or similar parallel books? i want to apply something working like radiation for my fantasy campaing and i was looking how to irradiate armor and things like that
>>
>>55034999
After The End is great for this, with several ways to have fantastic radiation in a game, rather then the boring, slow, cancer causing ionizeing radiation.
>>
>>55034542
1G So you use the rules as written without any changes at all.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.