[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Player tries something >It doesn't work >They get mad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 39

File: facepalm-got.gif (99KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm-got.gif
99KB, 480x270px
>Player tries something
>It doesn't work
>They get mad
>>
>>54931755
>entire team plays rogues
>entire team tries to sneak as a group in the same direction
>>
>>54931810
That doesn't seem inherently bad
>>
>>54931839
they're going in all at once as a group
5x the traffic = 5x the rolls to fail and get the guards sus about the area
>>
File: 8967477903.jpg (28KB, 686x600px) Image search: [Google]
8967477903.jpg
28KB, 686x600px
>>54931755
>Player tries something
>It isn't what the GM planned for
>"It doesn't work"
>>
>>54931869

Only in bad systems.
>>
>>54931930
It's really more of a GM call to say how many times they need to roll
>>
>>54931909

Run your own game if you want to dictate what works and what doesn't, you lazy sack of shit.
If you have a problem with """railroading""" and dislike being unable to pull solutions out of your ass, go run your own campaign where the players can try whatever they want and it always works.
>>
File: 1ihgmg.gif (177KB, 227x177px) Image search: [Google]
1ihgmg.gif
177KB, 227x177px
>>54932008
You make a lot of assumptions. I usually run games in my group. When I was a newer, and shittier GM I always had an idea in my head about how things should go and if players deviated from it roadblocks were established.

Now I'm a better GM and I understand that the players are more involved in your game if you let them do more of what interests them. And before you pull another strawman out of your ass: No. That doesn't mean you have to entertain every autistic fantasy players come up with. It just means if players try something and it makes sense then it should work, or at least have a chance of working.
>>
>>54932008
I don't really need you to say anything else to know the following:
1. You are shit DM.
2. You've been informed of this fact before
3. You are extraordinarily bitter about it.
>>
File: AAAAAA.jpg (48KB, 475x317px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAA.jpg
48KB, 475x317px
>>54931755
>players make guesses based on information that's known to be incomplete
>guess is wrong
>game stalls FOR FORTY FUCKING MINUTES DUE TO ARGUING BECAUSE THE FUCKING GENIUS CAN'T ACCEPT THAT THEY'RE NOT IN FACT OMNISCIENT
>>
File: gpjkre.jpg (27KB, 498x605px) Image search: [Google]
gpjkre.jpg
27KB, 498x605px
>>54932425
maximum lel
>>
>>54932150
Pretty much, had same thing going here.

>Left in a sandbox WHFRP
>PC's: So, what do we do?
>GM: I dunno, you can do whatever you want. You have free choice.
>PC's: Alright, let us then use our skills to start a smithy and get some coin to our name.
>GM: You can't, also you now see orc warband coming. Roll initiative.

And so on. At least, untill we got to change our seats and he became a player instead.
He now feels free to bitch to me that I'm not giving his character enough personal plot hooks to expand upon his background story.
>>
>>54931930
>>54932005
>Only in bad systems
No, it's way harder to sneak as a group irl. If anyone makes a noise or moves at the wrong time, then they have a chance of fucking it up. I have no idea why you think that more people wouldn't require each to successfully avoid detection.
>>
>>54931755
>Try something
>It fails
>out of habbit say "fuck"
>Gm overreacts
>>
File: Brunt (1).jpg (136KB, 398x530px) Image search: [Google]
Brunt (1).jpg
136KB, 398x530px
>>54933092
a few guys who play at my lgs start shaking in their boots when someone swears. Good stuff
>tfw mormons play traditional games
>>
>>54933092
Did he overreact because he's a prude, or because he misjudged how upset you were and thought you were freaking out?
I probably say fuck almost every roll. Failure or success just determines if it's a fuck or a fuck yes.
>>
>>54933152
Maybe its a bit of both I honestly dont know. I just think he takes swearwords at an extreme face value and is either paranoid or depressed about his life to think its directed at him personally, getting sad or offended.
>>
>>54931755
Sounds like you failed to properly convey to them the situation surrounding what they were trying to do and why it failed.
>>
>>54934332
Sounds like he has some trauma associated with curse words, if I had to guess. Or he's just fucking weird.
>>
>>54931755
>Player tries something
>It works
>They will try it again and again even if it doesn't make sense in the situation
>>
The one that always gets me is the group that gets into a giant mess, then whinges that they can't immediately find a single action that fixes the whole thing instantly.
>>
>>54931755
Maybe you should do a better job selling your game as an internally consistent world rather than a story you're coming up with on the spot.
>>
>>54931755
>illithid save-or-sucks entire party
>entire party (except one) makes their save vs stunned the next turn
>one player keeps failing saves (with advantage)
>gets increasingly butthurt and emotey about it
>>
>Player tries something that is 100% going to work because he knows the nuances of the system
>GM tells him it doesn't because that serves as a way of guiding players to where he wants them to be
>Player gets mad
Soooo, having +63, yeah, 63, to jump doesn't let me jump with light load between two buildings separated 10 meters because that would mean I can totally chase and caught the bad guy...nice I guess
>>
File: das_it_mane.png (506KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
das_it_mane.png
506KB, 750x750px
>"Heads up guys, hacking shenanigans are going to come up this game."
>Player gets his shit hacked
>Gets mad
>>
>>54932441

>Fire monster breaks out and says some shit
>"I speak primordial! What does it say?"
>"You can't understand it, Anon."
>"BULLSHIT WHAT KIND OF FIRE ELEMENTAL DOESN'T SPEAK PRIMORDIAL?'
>"ANON! IF IT DOESN'T SPEAK PRIMORDIAL, THEN WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT IS NOT?"
>>
>>54937059

Ehhhhh, I'd give the GM the slide on that one. Either they are new or didn't know you had this crazy trick up your sleeve.
>>
>>54937026
Depending on how many turns and how long it actually took to get to the fight, I could see myself getting butthurt too if I didn't get to do jack shit.
>>
>sitting in on a low level OSR 1 off
>party is storming a ship anchored at the docks
>party's 2 archers shoot 3 guards
>ships mage leans out and gets hit by an arrow, gets wrecked
Next round
>ships mage leans back out from cover, guaranteed to get hit again
This wizard is a fucking moron
>DM throws a fucking hissy fit as if the comment was directed at him personally
>gathers all his shit and storms out
>we were playing at his fucking house
>he's sitting in his car crying
I couldn't stop laughing
>>
>>54937119
>crazy trick up your sleeve.
He knew I had that up my sleeve, I'm a monk with 120+ ft speed, I more than once refused to use horse and move at the same speed as the group on horse, me walking they running. He knew I could jump far as fuck because it happened several times when trying to cross through rivers (I jump, tie ropes, make improvised bridge, everybody crosses safe). But nooooow, I can't jump 10 miserably feet (when my average is 23 meters, 20 if I roll nat1), because I can totally catch the assassin that killed an importan NPC

Dude, if you don't want us to interrogate him use a cyanide pill or something, but he also want because we can speak and interrogate spirits too
>>
>>54937200

Huh, yeah that's a hardcore oversight. You should see if the DM wants a break and take over DMing for a couple of sessions.
>>
File: FUCKER.png (29KB, 770x645px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKER.png
29KB, 770x645px
>>54931755
>facepalm-got.gif
>>
>>54937200
smokebomb / teleport ring problem solvered.
>>
>>54934949
Oh my god this. My group assassinated a king that they were tricked into thinking was a tyrant. The guards are chasing them and one of them finds the king''s corpse and gives it back and says "hey your clerics should be able to revive him." And is astonished that the guards are still looking to arrest them.
>>
File: 1500885475714.jpg (501KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1500885475714.jpg
501KB, 2048x1365px
>>54931755
>Player tries something stupid because "it'll be funny"
>tell him it's not going to work, partially because it won't, and partially because I don't feel like turning the campaign into Haha Peepee Funny Jokeman Tells Funjokes
>"aw come ooooonnnnnn it'll be funny" ad infinitum
>>
>>54937676
Just give them the real life consequences of their actions.
>>
File: 3453654332.jpg (74KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
3453654332.jpg
74KB, 540x540px
>>54937755
>player's action has real life consequences
>player bitches and calls me a dick
>OR
>same player goes "god that was such a stupid plan, why'd we do that? We should've xyz instead"
>OR
>"this is too hard, give us something else to do"

Sometimes I think about this shit during the day and get mad
>>
>>54937824
>same player goes "god that was such a stupid plan, why'd we do that? We should've xyz instead"

This is the best response. It shows that they are learning.
>>
>>54937859
He says it like it was someone else's plan that he was dragged into, so I don't think so
>>
>>54934805
Sounds more like >>54934332 is making weird-ass judgments or projecting to bee honest
>>
>>54937893

Then stop inviting him.

Or set up a new game without him.

Maybe trying asking him to not be such a prick.
>>
>>54937075
>"Heads up guys, ill-defined term that probably means something different to you than it does to me is going to come up this game"
>Player's character is hurt in a way that is often considered off-the-table for a GM to do
>Gets upset because pre-game communication didn't properly set up this sort of scenario
>GM posts on 4chan and described the unfun shit in the vaguest terms possible to win the approval of neckbeards
>>
>>54937940
>"Heads up guys, ill-defined term that probably means something different to you than it does to me is going to come up this game"
>Player's character is hurt in a way that is often considered off-the-table for a GM to do

wut?
>>
>get drop on distracted enemy
>DM specifically says its weapon is lying on the floor
>use Mage hand to remove weapon from fight, throwing it off cliff
>"You can't drop it off the cliff, just move it to the edge"
>but it's within range
>"You can't."
>"Enemy moves, picks up weapon and charges you"
>critical hit, max damage, you're dead
This was a few years ago and I'm STILL mad about it.
>>
>>54937961

Damn, that's one dirty DM.
>>
>>54937437
Nah, that would mean he has to come up with clever and logical stuff, is better to say "nuh, you can't jump 10 meters when you have always jumped far more in equally stressful situations"

Smokebomb probably wouldn't work though because I have a mask that gives me scent, and darkvision
>>
>>54937960
Depending on what "player gets his shit hacked" means. Many games operate on the assumption that character possessions are more-or-less safe because players consider them part of their character and having them stolen makes them feel like they lose autonomy over their character.
Now, I'm not arguing for one playstyle over another, but an experienced GM should be aware of this and properly inform his players that they may have their possessions taken away in this game. "Hacking shenanigans" is such a broad term that it really serves as no warning/pre-game compact whatsoever.
>>
>>54937988

>Many games operate on the assumption that character possessions are more-or-less safe because players consider them part of their character and having them stolen makes them feel like they lose autonomy over their character.

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT?

What kind of crazy land games have you been playing?
>>
>>54937984
What's worse is he asked after if I wanted an out to survive but I was too prideful and declined with the whole "that's how the dice fell" mentality.
I've honestly not had as much fun playing since that incident.
>>
>>54933057
Not the same Anon. But while yes, that is how it works in the real world,. Some verisimilitude can be compromised for the sake of fun. I agree sneaking as a group is fucking stupid. But it allows the party to not split and people to be in the action.

A good compromise in my opinion (and one some systems use) is not to have the best stealth person roll the checks. But to have the least skilled person roll the checks. It's assumed the awesome stealth guy will be awesome and succeeded. However Mr. I'm 7' tall, 280lbs, walking around in full plate with a great sword. Being the most likely to fuck up should be given the opportunity to NOT fuck it up however small that chance might be.
>>
>>54938015

Oof, that's rough.
>>
>>54938034
That's how I always do it
>>
>Have spell that teleports my spellbook to the ethereal plane in a undisclosed safe and protected location and returns it to me when I want it by spending a standard action
>DM "Anon, they stole your spellsbook"
>? No, is in the ethereal place, I always cast this spell after I memorize the spells, I told you, I repeated ad nausam for like 20 sessions
>...ok...
>I call my spellbook back
>...doesn't return, someone stole it
>How?
>You don't know, they did it
Woah, thanks, I love when I spend a 3rd level spell to not be robbed and I get robbed by DM fiat, so nice knowing that I have a smart DM able to generate logical and coherent obstacles
>>
>>54938008
More like, why do you have so little empathy with fellow humans?
But this is 4chan so I suppose it's a bad place to ask that question.

>>54938052
Excellent example of DM stealing player shit and player feeling cheated. DMs should not do this sort of shit without setting guidelines for the game before it starts and communicating them clearly.
>>
>>54937988
>i must cater to everyone's fragile fee fees, or I'm a big meanie
No. I can tell your games suck
>>
>>54938052

Sounds like your GM needs a break. You should offer to run a few games.
>>
>>54938079

>More like, why do you have so little empathy with fellow humans?

wut?
>>
>>54938052
Anon, you do realise that the ethereal plane is full of thieves, right?

What do you think an "Ethereal Filcher" is?
>>
>>54938095
You're a fucking idiot.
You can do whatever you want, but it won't be fun for everyone if basic game assumptions aren't discussed beforehand.
If you even use the phrase "fragile fee fees" I can tell you're a fucking autist who doesn't understand or empathize with human emotions, or think they're "not important" because they're "illogical" and "just emotions."

>>54938115
See above.
>>
>>54938079
> DMs should not do this sort of shit without setting guidelines for the game before it starts and communicating them clearly.

Uh, it sounds like the DM was just overwhelmed by the massive amount of shit people can do in D&D and didn't think of a clever way to circumvent it. It's a very understandable problem. The DM def mishandled the whole situation but I think that just means one of the players should DM for a bit.
>>
>>54938127
Damn dude, you need to go change your fucking tampon and have some cranberry juice, you pmsing little bitch.
>i can tell your an autist who doesn't understand human emotions
1: implying
2: says the guy sperging out
3: you literally sound like a child. Overcoming adversity and shit like that is what these games are about, ya fucking nonce
>>
>>54938122
>Spell literally says safe, undisclosed and protected place in the ethereal plane
that spell is meant to be a "no, you can't do shit to my spellsbook", and it costs a 3rd level spell slot everyday, more if you want to call your book back before the end of the day.

its the same as casting breath water and your GM going with "nah, now I don't feel like you can breath water so you die".
>>
>DM has us fight bad guy who apparently is supposed to escape the module
>He disappears in a puff of smoke
>Cast counterspell
>"It wasn't a spell it was physical smoke"
>Cast See Invisible
>DM gets visibly frustrated and asks why we have to ruin everything
>>
>>54932441
>Be GM
>Be only source of information for players
>Players complain about the quality of their information
>>
>>54938153
I don't disagree with you. DMs make mistakes, often due to inexperience. All I was saying is that the DM fucked up, not that he's an inherently shit DM.

>>54938122
Theft as a plot hook can be interesting. "Your spellbook is gone forever because I said so" is fucking stupid. Just because realistically it could happen doesn't mean it's fun to have in a game.
>>
>>54938175
Weird, ethereal beings aren't entirely predictable and impotent.

Who would have thunk it.
>>
>>54938127
>it won't be fun for everyone if basic game assumptions aren't discussed beforehand

I can't remember seeing a game where players thought their gear was sacred and untouchable unless it was specifically the purpose of the whole game or their entire character revolved around the gear. If a player wants "no bully" on specific items then they should bring that up with their GM. That way people don't get triggered when the GM burns up some rope in their inventory.
>>
>>54938175
>that spell is meant to be a "no, you can't do shit to my spellsbook"

Classic rollplaying.

You might wanna screencap or share the spell. Chances it refers to something like "personal pocket dimension." I don't see why that would be out of reach of creatures that specifically hop around dimensions.
>>
>>54937940
Laf'd, nice
>>
>>54938177
But See Invisible wouldn't help against physical smoke?
>>
>>54938223
To an extent, I agree. But there's a pretty big difference between "some rope" and "the wizard's spellbook, which is the source of their primary class function." Or whatever "player gets his shit hacked" means.
The more important a belonging is to the character's functionality, the more careful a DM has to be when compromising it. Some things simply shouldn't be taken away without the DM quickly revealing a way to get them back/replace them.
>>
>>54938188

>All I was saying is that the DM fucked up,

No, you were saying that the DM needs to set up a meeting at the start of the game to check with players to go over a checklist of what is and isn't cool in terms of interacting with their gear.
>>
>>54938250
pocket dimension or demiplane don't have "safe and protected" in their description
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 275x183px
>>54931810
>druid casts pass without trace
>the fighter still fails the stealth check
>>
>>54938272

>Or whatever "player gets his shit hacked" means.

Ooooooooh, you were a troll stirring shit about stuff you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

All because you got triggered by a spell book getting snagged?
>>
>>54938250
>Feature says "You can't be disarmed as long as you're concious"
>GM: You're disarmed
>Complain
>GM: Classical rollplaying, better play a videogame
Just because you can say, fuck it, I'm the GM, rocks fall because I feel like it, doesn't mean you have to do that

Or better I'll make a rebuttal according to yours: Write a book
>>
>>54938290

Welp, looks like there are perfectly reasonable ways to swipe a wizard's spellbook even when using a 3rd level spell.
>>
File: 51761730.jpg (172KB, 1024x942px) Image search: [Google]
51761730.jpg
172KB, 1024x942px
>>54931755
>>54931909
I have both of these in the same group. They're getting super shitty about it.
>>
File: triggered.gif (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
27KB, 200x200px
>>54932005
>how many times they need to roll
This is why I don't play stealth characters anymore. Too many years of GMs who just force you to roll stealth over and over until you fail. The guys who make you roll stealth ten times to walk through a hallway, then tell you it was stupid to try and sneak somewhere because, lol, you should have known you'd get caught.
>>
>>54938322
>Or better I'll make a rebuttal according to yours: Write a book
I'm now convinced your either legitimately retarded, or you're trolling. Either way, you're a pathetic little bitch. Stay mad, faggot
>>
>>54938322

>Something that specifically says "you can't be disarmed"
>Something that specifically says "your book is in a pocket dimension"

Anon, you are looking for the spell that specifically says "your book cannot be stolen." Because if it doesn't say that then you are rollplaying.
>>
>>54934939
>can I use our immovable rod to stay attached to the ice wall without slipping?
>GM: sure, you manage to keep your position on the wall without needing a climb check

later

>I'm going to use the immovable rod to stick myself to the dragons back!
>GM: okay, on the dragons turn he starts beating his wings and launches into the air, make a strength saving throw to resist being blown off his back
>NUH UH I'M USING THE ROD TO STAY IN PLACE
>>
>>54938374
>in a pocket dimension
For the 3rd time, safe and protected undisclosed place. Pocket dimension and even create demiplane say shit about safe and protected.
>>
>>54938409

Screen cap?
>>
>>54938438
I dunno, was from Spell compendium or whatever the name was of that book from 3.5 with only spells, that game was almost a decade ago. I remember being 3rd level or maybe 4th level. But I'm 100% sure the spell said safe and protected because we had an argument about the meaning of those words in where the whole group, bar GM, sided with me.
>>
>>54938452
>Using spell compendium
Munhckin detected
That shit is known for broken as fuck and improved and at lowest spell slots of other spells, no wonder your DM wanted to shut you down
>>
>>54938452

Huh, well yah if it says "safe and protected" then it's reasonable to assume that it can't get swiped unless someone is trying really hard and spends a lot of shit to try and swipe it. DM was def overwhelmed with all the shit going on in D&D.
>>
>>54931810
>With a cat-like tread, upon our prey we steal!
>>
File: 1465268826341.gif (54KB, 361x365px) Image search: [Google]
1465268826341.gif
54KB, 361x365px
>>54931755
>Player tries something
>>
>>54931839
You'd think it would be a good thing even, since the only way you can do stealth without splitting the party is if everyone has it. But like >>54931869 said, the rules don't actually allow it to work.
>>
>>54938940
there are ways to make it work, just don't be stupid about it.

you shouldn't be trying to sneak while stuck to each others hip like some sort of 10 legged mutant.

>5 party members, each need to sneak across a room.
>1st to go is the one with the highest stealth skill, they get to the other side of the room unnoticed.
>from their hidden position, they throw something or make a noise to distract the guards and then hide
>while the guards are searching, the person with the lowest stealth check attempts to sneak with advantage
>once the lowest roll is out of the way, the others can attempt to sneak past once the guards settle down.

depending on the classes you have you can make it even easier with stuff like "pass without trace" or "silent image"
>>
>>54937026
>Not allowed to play the game because of a dumb mechanic
>LWAL WHY U SO BUTTHURT MANG?

Eat a dick.
>>
>>54937988
>lose autonomy
Tell me how I know you're a shit dm and have shitty snowflake players. Seriously, autonomy is limited in real life. It's limited in game too - overgrown babies need to learn to get over it
>>
>>54938079
Attacking the make-believe possessions of a character in a game of pretend has nothing to do with empathy.
>>
>>54938127
Christ. You fucking autistic shits are showing up more and more. What is wrong with the new generation? Basics like shit can be stolen is a GIVEN already. Thievery is not out of bounds. It's like someone getting upset about thier ruined immersion and autonomy when their character took damage because the dm didn't explicitly tell them it could happen at the beginning. God damn you fucks are stupid
>>
>>54939507
Hence why I called him a pmsing little bitch.
>>
>>54938409
So do fucking safes you cunt. That's not a guarantee that they're completely their proof.
>>
>>54938175
If you even need to spend a third-level spell every day to keep the DM from taking away the item you need to do anything relevant at all, he's already an asshole and you should just drop the game.
>>
>>54939583
Honestly, he seems like the kind of guy that when hit with a fireball while reading his spellbook, he'd pitch a fucking fit like a toddler having a tantrum when you stated that his spellbook, and the rest of his shit, had to make a save or it's fried
>>
>>54931810
The only thing I use the 5e "group ability check" rules for is when the group explicitly scopes/scouts an area, and then has the entire/rest of the group stealth through it.

It works extremely well for this; my group often has the rogue (who is very well optimized for stealth) go alone first, and then circle back around to get the rest of the party. And that way the group can actually sneak into places. Imagine that!
>>
>>54931755

>players are hunting orcs for bounty/keep the country side safe
>kill a small band in a forest
>ranger starts tracking back to their base
>party exits the treeline, climbs a hill
>ask if they want to just crest the hill or be a little more stealthy
>stand on top of the hill bold as brass
>three large tents surrounding a cookfire, ten orcs milling about with implications that more are in the tents
>they continue standing on top of the hill with no cover in broad daylight discussing what to do and observing
>eventually get noticed
>23 screaming orcs charge the party
>they elect to stand and fight
>TPK ensues because the party is level 2
>paladin loses her shit and starts yelling at the other players

Still laughing about this because I've been trying to get her to be more assertive and interact more.
>>
>>54938525
>in silence dread our cautious way we feel
>>
>>54931755
>Players get stupid idea
>Players act on said stupid idea
>Stupid idea "works" in the sense that it tried to do what they wanted, but doesn't work in the sense that the consequences of their actions are bad ones.
>Players whine and ask to take back what they did.

Sometimes I swear I want to strangle them.
>>
>>54932441
>players come u with a fun plan
>DM says no because it wasn't EXACTLY what he already wrote down
>ruins the game for everyone because of his autism

typical
>>
>me: I walk up to the cultist "dead" body.
>DM: Roll a perception check.
>I Roll low.
>DM: You only just see robes, he disappeared.
>Me: I want to do an insight check to figure out what happened.
>DM: You already did the perception check, that's your turn.

Meanwhile the other players get infinite preturn out of character clarification questions, then on their turn get get a long string of investigate/history/arcana checks back to back (asking more questions after each one), then still usually cast a spell at the end, all the while talking freely on other players turns as well and asking the DM even more questions.
>>
>>54939620
>had to make a save or it's fried
Only if he rolls a nat1 on reflexes, if not, stuff that is attended is unaffected.
>>
>>54940092
We play different editions, clearly.
My point still stands: in my opinion he seems like a rules lawyering petulant child that when anything doesn't go their way, it's time to cry for mommy.
Sure, some DMs suck; but players like that are much more common, especially these days
>>
>>54939908

wut?
>>
>>54940143
>We play different editions, clearly.
Probably, I mentioned what happens 3.0, 3.5, PF and 5e, and in 4e fireball don't ignite stuff.

Also your ad hominems do little on your behalf, I'll side with that player instead of you anytime. As someone said before, go write a book if you can only circumbeit situations by saying I'm GOD.
>>
>>54940072

Sounds like your DM needs a break. You should offer to run a few games.
>>
>>54940247
>your ad hominem
An opinion isn't an ad hominem. If you want to take his side, go ahead. I still say he sounds like a crybaby bitch. I'll go further and say you probably are too
>>
>>54940269
Are you trying to force a meme?
We actually rotate in our games, that doesn't stop some DMs to be cunts
>>
>>54939752
>We all wish we could see the consequences of our actions and taking them back if it turns out poorly
>Like me running this game for you fucks
>>
>>54940247
>as someone else said
Ok samefag. Just stop
>>
>>54940309
>An opinion isn't an ad hominem
Actually it's, you're dismissing his argument by attacking him and not the argument, doesn't matter you add the clause that yours is an opinion, seems you aren't familiar with the language you use. Going back to high school might help in most cases, don't know in your specially, you seem kind of slow and faggy. And this is also an ad hominem, that lesson was for free.
>>
>>54940383
>>54940247
Stop replying to him
>>
>>54940324
>We actually rotate in our games, that doesn't stop some DMs to be cunts

Well it should. If you have a person who is a consistent cunt DM then stop letting them DM.
>>
>>54940383
I didn't dismiss his argument, plenty of other anons were doing that perfectly fine on their own.
>Going back to high school might help in most cases, don't know in your specially, you seem kind of slow and faggy.
Oh no, how will I ever recover?! Some douchebag kid called me mean names!
Try harder faggot
>>
>GM tries something
>It doesn't work
>He gets mad
>>
>>54940423
Giving him a rest is not the same as kicking him out
>>
>>54940407

They are probably the same person. I've seen this before where one person fake trolls themself just to try and get other people into the troll fight.
>>
>>54940468

>stop letting them DM
>kick them out

In what world do you imagine these things are identical?
>>
>>54940521
>He thinks a cunt GM won't be a cunt player
In what world do you imagine a cunt person won't be a cunt?
>>
>>54940554

Wow, you have never played roleplaying games have you?
>>
>>54940632
What kind of mental leap lead you that conclusion? So if a cunt GM, who won't stop being a cunt after telling him he's a cunt is kicked, then suddenly I didn't play games?.
>>
File: 1502839939705m.jpg (102KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502839939705m.jpg
102KB, 1024x640px
>Player tries something
>It does work
>GM gets mad
>>
>>54940785

>completely nonsensical strawman

Ah, so you are a troll. Feel free to make one last post. This will be your last (You).
>>
>>54937961

Man, your DM was a huge faggot.
>>
>>54941166
Only a baby would say that
>>
>>54938052
>living in ethereal plane
>notice new book that wasn't there before
>book disappears, reappears 2 hours later
>move book
>haha fuck you wizard

you're the dipshit thinking you can use an entire plane as just a bank.
>>
>>54941206
>Ignores safe and protected clause from the spell
Man, you really want to keep talking about this
>>
>>54940383
You're the one that needs to go back you piece of shit. Ad hominem only happens when they're saying your argument is wrong because you're a faggot. He's not addressing your argument he's just name calling. U fucking mongoloids are killing discourse with this 'hurrr fallacy! Hur ad homenim!' Crap. Knock it off
>>
>>54941221
still looking for a ss of the spell.
>>
>>54941221
>>54941222

Dude, there is a troll lurking in this thread. If someone posts something that is literally nonsensical, it's probably a troll.
>>
>>54941382
Its you isn't it?
>>
File: old_on_now.png (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
old_on_now.png
75KB, 500x500px
>>54941472
>>
>>54940269
>You should offer to run a few games.
That's not how D&D works.
>>
>>54941733
>That's not how D&D works.
Like you'd know.
>>
File: 1500535473621.jpg (484KB, 1196x782px) Image search: [Google]
1500535473621.jpg
484KB, 1196x782px
>>54942118
What the fuck kind of 3rd grade level comeback was that? Like knowing how dnd works is some kind of special skill.
>>
>Be me
>Have high charisma and diplomacy
>Try to talk our way out of conflicts
>GM: It doesn't work and they draw their weapons
>Roll for Initiative
>Same GM bitches when we just go murderhobo on everything instead of trying other solutions.
>mfw
>>
>>54942379
Just saying, if you never offer to run a few games then I doubt you get invited to many groups.
>>
>>54938177

What the fuck. I solved the exact same problem by having the ponce die, his criminal syndicate go into chaos for a week or two until he's ultimately succeeded by his nephew, Bob, with the exact same stats.

Got a few laughs out of it, the players felt really useful and stupidstrong, and gave the BBEG reason for a personal vendetta, thus making the story more involving.
>>
>>54942532
Newer and/or Shitty DMs who don't know how to improvise.
>>
>>54942379

If you're going to get all mad and defensive when a 3rd grade comeback is all that is needed to shatter your point, maybe instead of getting made and making yourself look even worse, you should instead learn to make more intelligent points.
>>
>>54932008
wew lad, I will tell that anon to trigger warn you next time.

btw you are a bad GM
>>
>>54938079
>I must have my feels catered to.

>>54938079
>Excellent example of DM stealing player shit and player feeling cheated.
He didn't feel cheated by having his stuff stolen. He felt cheated because he had a good plan and the DM circumvented it by fiat.
>>
>>54938304
Pass Without Trace prevents tracking, it's not a stealth bonus
>>
>>54939620
He specifically did something to protect his spell book and the GM just threw it out with no viable explanation.
>>
>>54937961
Holy shit
>>
i don't really get why "catering to feefees" is supposed to be a bad thing in a game of cooperative storytelling
>>
>>54938034
You know what's also fun? Not acting like retards.
>>
>>54942449
I have a similar one, I made a Paladin with high Charisma but we also have a bard, who the DM always makes NPCs chat with her. Then we also have a rogue with no charisma who always wants to talk with NPCs too. I sort of expected to be the "face" of the party but so far I haven't had a chance.
>>
>>54938401
>GM: sure, you manage to keep your position on the wall without needing a climb check
why didn't you make him roll there?, it should be an easy check, and the dragon a hard one.
>>
>>54942818
And that will teach him that whatever he does, plans or thinks, he will never beat the DM.
>>
>>54939393
Escapism, no one wants to get raped in real life so they shouldn't get raped either in fantasyland.

If the DM takes something away from the players, he better OOC ensure us we will get it back. None of this "your object disappear, no tracks, better give up", that's literal bullshit.
>>
>>54934939
>Player tries something
>It works
>Player tries same something in the same situations a few minutes later
>New rules applie and now doesn't work at all
I hate my brother, he's the worst GM ever, he literally changes rules every damn 5 minutes without informing us. Games with him are an incoherent mess, add the motherfucking DMPCs and shit becomes unbearable

I gave up into playing his games and nobody invites him to play due how cancerous he can ve. It's sad, he's my brother and I want him to have fun, but srly, is impossible to play with him, even table top games are awful
>>
>>54943075
All that does is teach the players that their DM has the "me vs you" mentality. DM is there to guide you not fuck you over.
>>
>>54942709
in 5e it's a +10 to the roll
>>
>>54942890
There's supposed to be a sense of challenge. Although I agree that too many people in this hobby aren't really keen on compromising for the enjoyment of everyone. You can't just bend over backwards for any and every request of your players; the GM deserves his fun of pitting the players against the challenges he's created. The real message is don't cater to unreasonable people, just stop playing with them.
>>
>>54943234
well the thing is it's pretty tough finding a good group where everyones idea of fun is exactly the same, so compromise is all but 100% necessary for everyone to have a good time

and isn't that the point

so yeah if your differing views of fun are totally incompatible you probably shouldn't play with each other, but if you're too stubborn to ever cater to someones feefees then you're not going to have many people to play with after long in my experience
>>
>>54943128
No one wants to get stabbed in real life either. Does this mean attacks should never hit the PCs?
>>
>>54943128
>being this much of a fragile snowflake
>>
>>54943449

>Being this much of bad bait
>>
>>54939198
If you want to just have a masturbatory power fantasy go find people who want to do that. RPGs are games, they have rules, if rules hurt your feefees because they sometimes mean you have to stop violently masturbating then maybe RP forums are more your style.
>>
>>54943528

>they have rules
>that the DM can literally fuck off with any time they want

Yeeeeaaaaah. If you want to play vidya, play vidya.
>>
>>54943609
And you can go write a book if you love to impose your authority and force the PCs to do your bidding.
>>
>>54943609
And if the DM just fiats to make the players succeed at everything then it stops being a game and becomes a group of people telling a story, which you can do without whatever system you're pretending to play at that point.
>>
>>54943128
>proving my point.
Thanks retard.
>>
>>54931869
>what's a group stealth check
>>
>>54943813
Something that has to be passed by the majority, if you're 4 and 2 fuck up, you as a group fuck up
>>
>>54943703
>>54943785

>saying one extreme is bad means you support the other extreme

>say nazis are bad
>"y-y-you antifa scum"

This is not how life works, bruv. There's a fucking balance to be found. If someone spends the whole session stunned, just fudge a roll and be done with it. If the whole group fucks up completely, let them die if it comes to that.

But going "hur hur this random event means you and only you can not participate at all" is just silly and bad DM'ing. Especially since the DM is both allowed and encouraged to fuck the rules if need be. That means every "muh mechanics" is a conscious choice, not an excuse.
>>
>>54931755
>Player is really invested in the game
>Is bumped out when he fails
>Is excited when he succeeds against the odds
>This is somehow a bad thing
>>
>>54943128
Here's the ultimate issue with this kind of thread and why we will continue having it and arguing the same points until the end of time. Both sides are right, players should feel like they have agency and can meaningfully interact with the world, but they must also accept rules and the chance that whatever they do they may fail at it and the character may become unplayable if they fail hard enough.
>>
>>54943866
I save fudges for rewarding good roleplaying. Tim the fuck up saying "roll to save" and chucking a die is going to get what he gets, but Tim the roleplayer giving a little description of how they're focusing on something to try to steel their mind will get that 7 fudged to the 12 he needs.
>>
>>54943940
>bummed out = mad

What bizarro world do you come from?
>>
>>54943986

I think the main problem is in the way people discuss these things. They argue extremes. On one end we have people arguing "rules are rules", on the other end "fun is #1". And both take their "opponents" to mean that anything but their argument is automatically bad, while it's more probable than not that they actually agree on the most part but differ on smaller nuances.
>>
>>54944063

If you want Tim to act a certain way, tell him that. Passive-aggressiveness never solved anything.
>>
>>54944116

That's definitely part of the problem, yeah, and it's something that has become commonplace in argumentation everywhere, it's honestly pretty pathetic.

>>54944137

I always tell my players what I prefer from players, and sometimes they accommodate, other times they are just looking for a slave to validate their power fantasy and I don't reward that.
>>
>>54944116
>fun is #1
wait, no? I never argued that, my word as GM is #1, I'm the god and creator of this game, ultimately what matters is me.
>>
>>54944210
>that has become commonplace
It's called "false dichotomy" and it's been around forever
>>
>>54938185
>be player
>NPC lies to me
>only find out later
>call the GM a lying cunt and storm out
>>
>>54938079
GMs should not pander to players in the way you want them to.
>>
>>54938318
Not that guy but to be fair, a wizard's spellbook is his everything. A wizard is his spells. Taking a wizard's spellbook is like reducing a fighter's str and dex to negatives, or having a paladin fall from grace. It takes away what makes playing that class fun for most everyone that decides to play that class.

If you're fine with just taking a wizard's spellbook and severely hindering what he does, ask yourself what conditions you would be fine with doing that in. If they are the same conditions as making a paladin fall from grace or draining a fighter's str and dex then at least you're consistent, but I'd hope for the sake of your players that they are reasonable conditions beyond "I'm the GM I just can."
>>
>>54944116
>it's more probable than not that they actually agree on the most part but differ on smaller nuances.

Disagree. They say it that way because they really mean it. Look at the actual literal substance of their arguments - it's clear there's a hard line between players who are willing to roll with the punches and players who can't take it and demand protection.
>>
>>54943986
>>54944116
These guys get it.

But since this is /tg/ I'm legally required to call you faggots and disagree.
>>
>>54943986
Except the GM who stole the player's spellbook even though it was protected under a spell clearly ignored the rules to fuck him up, player isnt' "accepting" what the rules and dice said, he's facing what the GM force him out of a whim
>>
>>54944598
Dude, DM makes the rules, his word is law.
>>
File: 1502916153386.jpg (34KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
1502916153386.jpg
34KB, 425x340px
>>54943986
>>54944116
>>54944502
However you play, you need to tailor your game to your players. Some players won't want to constantly lose equipment and rewards (probably because they're used to games like Oblivion & MMOs) and having a +6 battleaxe broken in a regular encounter is frustrating.

That said, the best way to create tension is to attack every part of the character sheet and making characters magically immune to logical consequences isn't fun either.
>>
>>54944722
That doesn't mean that what he says can't be terrible for everyone's enjoyment of the game. A DM can legally have the entire game take place in a dead magic world where the wizard can't be a wizard. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so on a whim.
>>
>>54944753
>you need to tailor your game to your players.

Maybe they could try to adapt to my game, rather than insisting they have to play in a Safe Space where they won't ever suffer any make-believe hardships.
>>
>>54944812
>not him
But maybe it's a give and take my dude. Work out a medium that works for you both, and if there is still a gap there then you should tailor your game AND the players should adapt. Find situations that are fun for you and your tablemates, and if something you or they do isn't fun for the rest be considerate.

In the end, you have the most power as the GM(by a swath as large as you having the final say on any and all rules in most cases), and in relationships of unequal power, there is more responsibility on the one with the most power not to abuse or misuse that power.
>>
>>54931755

>Pass is teifling alcoholic, Orc bezerker, a naga roll, a cliche and me, a Paladin
>So they walk downer the stairways, and the lobe is right around the cornet
>Roll hears something
>someone creeping up the stairways behind them
>gibbon cultist cuckold out for our soundings
>Run from the murderess cuckold
>Nod says shocker about the cliche
>He also didn't get the hip
>Roll just shuffles at me
>DM gives me a welcome look
>NEar totem pass wipe, due to badger romen. My Paladin is only one leftist, and on low hearer.
>Everyone else is bleeding out
>BBEG "Stand downer, stop figure me, and I shall let you live. Join with me, and serve me, and I shall bring >backbencher your beloved, gifted with lifeguard so she never has to leave you again."
>The restaurant of the playhouses are silent
>Dealing with glasshouses
>Phew
>The dick-assassin DM ain't having any of that
>I look at him
>I calmly poison his "mistake"
>he becomes visibly upset, draws attic from everyone else
>Won't show it to anyone due to it belfry shiny.
>silhouette in the roommate
>spotters the squishy membranes of the pass
>Cliche puts up shillings to defend them
>Misnomer temporarily averted.
>HOWEVER, not the fallen will raiderquit
>Cliche opens a doorknob
>Call bulrush
>DM clairvoyants the cliche castaway the spelling
>Call bulrush on that
>DM's facial is anxiety-red
>>
>>54944900
>>NEar totem pass wipe, due to badger romen. My Paladin is only one leftist, and on low hearer.
are you okay? This shit doesn't make any sense
>>
>>54944900
Is this the result of a random /tg/ post generator?
>>
>>54944900
when u phonepost so hard ur phone assumes you are on /pol/
>>
File: 155743456288.png (73KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
155743456288.png
73KB, 600x500px
>>54944900
>Dealing with glasshouses
>Phew
Dunno why that made me laugh like it did
>>
>>54944982
The lesson is hear is you never fuck with Roman badgers.
>>
>>54944265
I know what it is, but it's become basically the default stance for discussion online.
>>
>>54937986
the smoke bomb was to hide the use of a teleport ring.
they were to be used in tandem to cause "ninja vanish"
>>
>>54944900
I have no idea how this pasta has degenerated so much but it gave me a chuckle all the same.
>>
>>54937105
Wouldn't that be a big clue that it was an illusion or something else? I have a DM that's witty like that and it pisses off everyone, I had no idea there were so many table top players that can't take not being the smartest person in the room.
>>
>>54945497
I used to run games for my little brother and some of his friends, who were middle schoolers at the time, before I moved away after college and even they would pick up on little hints like that.

I am convinced that anyone who is so bull headed about something not adding up is actively trying to be a retard.
>>
>>54945568

Kinda going on a tangent here, but.

> Be wizard
> Great INT
> Smrt! S-M-R-T!
> Every puzzle is solved OOC
> Can not roll INT or anything to gain clues
> Feel useless
> Stay content with just throwing the occasional fire bolt
> Because that's all the use I get from the best INT stat of the group

Kinda annoying, then again I also get the point of having actual puzzles. I just wish they'd at least incorporate something I could solve with a good arcana roll or whatever, so my character could be smart for once.
>>
>>54945618

Oh yeah, forgot to mention why this is a problem for me. I suck at the puzzles our DM throws in-game IRL. Spatial puzzles I am okay with, but visual and verbal ones not so much.
>>
>>54945618
>>54945637
normally I give hints myself based on a person INT stats and also have gives if they are way passed where it should be. My friends give me beef at times because it's enabling a really dumb NEET friend of ours to think he's actually smart (which should tell you how dumb he is then) but I'm just in the mindset of let the baby have his bottle.
>>
>>54938052
you cast you're spell to retrieve your spell book.
you get a bloody note that is a ransom for your spells.

fortunately for you, you are a well versed and travelled mage that has back up scrolls on you for when you run out of memorized spells and enough magic items to choke a 2 copper hooker with no gag reflex.

you should be ok for this adventure.

you both fucked up.
>>
>>54933130
>bringing the LDS to the LGS
>>
>>54945676

Yeah, gotta take up this issue with my DM. He's a great guy, he just doesn't always think things through. Guess he wanted to encourage OOC thinking, too.

[s]Didn't even realize this was bothering me until now.[/s]
>>
>>54944760
what is dragonlance 5th age (saga)

magic finds away...
>>
>>54937988
>Many games operate on the assumption that character possessions are more-or-less safe because players consider them part of their character and having them stolen makes them feel like they lose autonomy over their character.
>"""autonomy"""
What kind of fucking baby gloves game do you even play? The game my DM runs routinely kills careless PCs and I love that shit, just losing a bunch of your stuff probably means you got out of a bad situation alive by the skin of your teeth.

I mean fuck, we're adventurers anyway, always more where that came from.
>>
>>54938401
>I'm going to use the immovable rod to stick myself to the dragons back!
But... what
That's not how Immovable Rods work, *at all*. The guy would fix the rod and it would just stay in place while the dragon flew away underneath it, possibly like... stubbing a scale? or some shit if he bumped into the rod from below. It's not a Sticky Rod, when activated it's fixed relative to the planet/world itself which is why you can use it as an aid to climb walls and shit.
>>
>player spends half the session doing random things for no reason
>is basically playing a walking joke
>tends to not follow the plot at all and it's always contrived as to why he keeps tagging along
Is there any way to fix this or should I just live with it for now?
>>
>>54946564
If you had two immovable rods, couldn't you just slowly fly by using them back and forth?
>>
>>54931810
Did they at least all take Stealth Synergy?
>>
>>54937105
Actually... I'm pretty sure a fire elemental would be speaking Ignan, unless we are talking 5e...
>>
>>54946780
Well, not really fly, but you could use them to haul yourself up in the air by main strength, sure. But uh... have you ever tried doing wall climbing with just your hands and no help from your feet, or seen how many pullups you can do in a row? No human being alive would get more than like 40 feet into the air like that, and then they'd lose their grip on the rods from weariness and fall down, leaving the rods hanging in the air and hard to get back.
>>
File: headclunk.jpg (19KB, 225x348px) Image search: [Google]
headclunk.jpg
19KB, 225x348px
>>54931755
>Player asks what is the likely outcome to a course of action.
>Tell player that it will probably kill them.
>Player does action.
>It kills them.
>Player gets mad.
>>
>>54946780
No... Eventually your strength is going to give out as it would be a series of climb checks getting progressively harder the longer you used them. Especially if you're moving horizontally.
>>
>>54937986
How OP is your fucking character.
>>
>>54937988
There's systems where "hacking shenanigans" is incredibly fucking specific.

If a GM tells you there'll be hacking shenanigans in his Shadowrun game you know fucking exactly what he means.
>>
>>54947014
>>54946997
>losing grip
>climbing checks
>not just incorporating them into gauntlets and boots
>>
>>54938265
Yeah, ignorance on both sides here.
>>
>>54938290
Pocket Dimension would have been a whole fucking lot safer than what that anon did, which is literally one of the highest traffic open-ass planes in the entire cosmology, with indigenous creatures aswell.

He's still a retard for thinking that its safer than just keeping it on him, though.

And also for not utilizing the fact he could in theory cast unmemorized from his book at 10x time consumed.
>>
>>54947083
>Immovable Rods in boots
You have to actively turn them on and off, Mongo the Clever. Even if the referee let you make hand-held remote controls for four simultaneous rods, walking would still be some QWOP shit.
>>
File: English.gif (492KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
English.gif
492KB, 500x200px
>>54944900
What?
>>
>>54931755
>player says "I attack with my rapier" but doesn't roll
>I stare at him and the dice in front of him for a minute
>I roll for him, he does one damage
>accuses me of fudging the roll

>Same player drags a child off to fight a demon
>child alerts demon
>child gets mauled by demon
>child dies in two rounds
>demon dies some rounds later
>player calls me a "mean DM" for letting the child die and not letting him make a necklace out of his teeth
>>
File: 1502121496943.gif (980KB, 227x221px) Image search: [Google]
1502121496943.gif
980KB, 227x221px
>>54931755
>rolls a 3
>throws a temper tantrum
>>
>>54947056
>Moves fast
>Has scent
>OP
The fuck?
>>
I dunno... I just don't want darkies at my table.... I'm talking drow
>>
>>54943528
>RPGs are games

And nothing is more fun in a game than not being able to play it, right?
>>
>>54949073
One person not being able to participate in the combat is not "being unable to play the game". You can still roleplay, a significant portion of an RPG's gameplay, while you are otherwise unable to swing your sword over and over.
>>
File: sandwich.jpg (211KB, 600x738px) Image search: [Google]
sandwich.jpg
211KB, 600x738px
>>54949050
I feel ya brother. Drizzt was supposed to be unique and I'll give him a pass (and Sandwich), but there can't be thousands of reformed Drow walking around on the surface. At least Viconia had the decency to be evil.
>>
>>54937184
>>54939198
Bruhs
pls
I don't mind being upset. I agree it sucks, I'm not trying to make you fail your save deliberately, I have an NPC doing his damnedest to help you snap out of it. It's bad, but sometimes the dice just fuck you.
But it's not like I whipped this bitch up to fuck you in particular. Everyone else took the same hit, everyone else just happened to roll better, and hey, at least you're one of the people who can survive being stunned for four or five rounds.

But don't act like you're watching me rip the legs off your cat one by one. Come the fuck on. I get it, bad luck sucks, it's not the end of the world.

If you play shitty mobas, it's called tilt, and I was watching this motherfucker tilt off the face of the planet and resenting me and everyone else like it was OUR fault he couldn't beat DC 15 with advantage.
>>
>>54949143
How does one roleplay when their character is effectively paralyzed?
>>
>>54949158
>At least Viconia had the decency to be evil.

Was she though? Don't get me wrong, she was totally a cunt, but I'm struggling to recall anything she did that was really awful.

(...to be fair, most of that struggle comes from not having played either Baldur's Gate in about a decade)
>>
>>54949239
yes
she just wasn't Evil Stupid
You can give her a good ol Lawful Good dicking to maker neutral though
>>
>>54945739
I lost my group because of a similar situation, except it was Charisma. If I don't have time to work out in advance what I'm going to say, I sometimes stutter, it's something I've been fighting since first grade, and runs in my family (one of my aunts is almost unintelligible because of her stutter). I was playing a Paladin who had 28 charisma with item bonuses and shit, literally a superhuman orator, with diplomacy and intimidate skill bonuses in the "succeeds on when taking ten to convince demons to go home and think about what they've done", and I ended up being thrust, unprepared, into attempting to inspire an army before an apocalyptic battle.

I rolled over 50 with my bonuses, but when actually giving my speech, I stuttered badly, and one of my "friends" started mocking me. The DM smirked and announced that the army lost heart and had over 50% desertion, and so disadvantaged, we lost badly.

I got a bit mad, and tried to talk about how that wasn't right, but stumbled all over my argument, and the DM actually laughed at me.

That was 10 years ago and I haven't found an IRL group since.
>>
>>54949195
In this specific instance of your character being completely paralyzed you could do something like saying that you focus yourself on the thought that your friends are in danger and try to muster up all of your willpower/strength/whatever to break free.

Just a small thing that takes all of five seconds to narrate and at least makes it seem like you're invested in your character and the battle at hand. Like I said before I'd even be willing to fudge some rolls a little in the event of someone doing this, for dramatic effect.
>>
>>54949395
I can sympathize with that impairment a lot. I don't stutter, but I am a very slow thinker and very quick speaker, so a lot of my off the cuff speech is full of "ummm"s and "uh"s as I try to keep my mind up with my mouth.
>>
>>54937188
Well, that doesn't sound very nice
>>
>>54947202
>lash immovable rods to a pair of planks
>use them as steps
I call it the "Stairway to Heaven"
>>
>player wants to try something
>one player thinks its dangerous
>fucking gridlock, getting nothing done for multiple sessions because one player is a fucking puss
>>
>>54950728
"you don't know meeee."
"you ant the boss of meee"
>>
>>54939752
I dont know what happened in your game, but players, or at least their characters, should have some idea what'll happen when they do things. Otherwise the players dont have any agency and its not a game and not fun for anyone. Even when interacting with crazy magic no one has ever seen before, someone trained in the arcane arts would at least be able to guess "this might be really dangerous."
>>
Someone tell me if this DM was justified.

Some context:
>Playing Cyberpunk 2020
>DM warns us: "if your characters do stupid shit, they will die." As in he won't bend the rules for stupid plans.
>Get mission to stop a local politician's crackdown on drugs
>We decide to frame him for drug possession.
>After buying some cheap drugs we stake out his house.
>He's working most of the day, daughter goes to high school, and his wife stays at home.
>There's cameras we can't disable around the back. He's had attempts on his life before so we suspect they're being actively monitored.
>An old lady neighbor and small deli provide witnesses to the front of the house.
>Plan: have our reporter distract the old lady, and, at the DM's suggestion, use rats to shut down the deli.
>We're poor and low level so we go to the sewers to catch rats. He makes us roll for catching them. We have a pure stealth character with low light and augmented nose, so it wasn't too hard.
>Another character rolls to build cages from scrap to keep them in. Again, not too strange to roll for.
>We take a taxi from the area where we own a small house to the politican's neighborhood
Here's where it gets wierd
>He makes us roll for opening the back of the deli silently. I assumed this wouldn't need a full on stealth roll.
>Makes a roll to see if they notice our player's sewer smell. We thought it would be obvious we cleaned ourselves before coming back, but he rolls anyway.
>Tries to make us roll for releasing the rats through the door, which would only require opening the cages the right way around.
>Another roll for closing the door.
>We enter the deli like customers and wait. Nothing happens.
>Owner says the kitchens are closed for the day. DM says normal delis close their kitchens about mid-day
>Have to roll to smooth talk them into going back there.
>We eventually do, cause a scene, and call the health department
>Have to roll to get them to believe us
Explanation cont...
>>
>>54951282
By the end it seems like the DM was just trying to make us fail something. If any one of those last rolls failed, the plan wouldn't work, and we would be back to square one of how to frame this guy, or at least how to get into his house.
Sitting around and planning isn't gameplay, it's more of a necessary chore. The players sit around and the DM just sits and listens.

Having the players come a long way with a decent plan and fail, having their time and effort wasted due to one dice roll, isn't fun. If it happens at the start of a plan it's not as bad. I think DMs should lessen the amount of dice rolls as the plan moves on, unless for genuinely difficult tasks, and not menial stuff like opening a door.
>>
>>54951347
agreed,

but trying to get into the big man's house was the worst idea.

kiss; teenage girl at school, so much easier to frame her up with the drugs, watch the mayor do a 360 and walk away.
>>
>>54951382
hell now that I think of it, no need to even frame. just push....
>>
>>54949143

>Roleplay

>I am still paralyzed
>Being paralyzed is somewhat uncomfortable
>Kinda getting boring now
>I have accepted that I have no control over what happens
>...
>Still paralyzed

WOW THIS IS SO MUCH FUN
>>
>>54949571

>You're playing it wrong so I'm punishing you
>>
>>54941180
If even babies call you a faggot, you need to think about your life, anon.
>>
>another player in the group does something that wouldn't really work irl
>GM lets it slide for an ebin situation
I'm not really mad
>>
>>54951821
Fudging is a privilege, not a right. The absence of an extraordinary reward is not punishment.
>>
>>54949395
I lost a dude for similar reasons. Like you he stuttered and fumbled over his words but had a monster high CHA in one game. He had to give a speech to boost the moral of a hamlet that was under siege by Yuan ti raiders and it was just a mess of stutters and fumbles but he pass the check so me and the crew play mocked that we were motivated but we weren't sure why. Lines like "I'm not sure how being myself is going to stave off the sword, but alright, I'm in!" and "I have no god damn clue what you just said...but that voice, man, I guess you can count me in" He was furious we were teasing him but I thought it made the character enduring because he was able to charm people even with all his short comings, but he didn't see it that way and stop playing with us shortly after that.
>>
File: Worf.jpg (160KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
Worf.jpg
160KB, 880x660px
>>54931755
>Player always plays the exact same character every time he creates one, a big hulking idiot tank that is essentially fantasy him. Always with the same "not too bright" voice he puts on
>decides to make a bard that is always planning because its completely different to what he usually plays
>Plays him exactly how he would his tank characters
>Spends half the time healing himself
>the one time he actually came up with a plan, it went against the rest of the party's plan of hiding and waiting for the threat to go by, because he thought distracting it would help them hide
>Knows he's about to face off against a dragon, but is burning through his higher level spells with glee, unlike the rest of the party who are being reserved as hell
>Doesn't ever seem to think about the consequences of his actions outside of combat, nor that the enemy gets a turn inside of combat
>Always seems surprised that the enemy manages to return blows
>Has so far managed to die 4 times, whilst the rest of the party has only suffered one death, and that was due to bad luck.

I can't wait for well meaning but dumb strongman #5
>>
>>54952506
Better than one I had for years
>it's me but better looking
>>
>>54952842
That's just tragic, anon.
>>
>>54942449
Players cannot win. Just do what you want instead of bending over backward for the GM's approval.
>>
>>54931909
>players who are always paranoid about this
>it's because most plot and interaction is improvised
>they insist to keep it improvised for "fun's sake"
>accuse me of cheating or being unfair for EVERY encounter
>>
>>54949143
>One person not being able to participate in the combat is not "being unable to play the game".
Actually, yes, it is the very definition of them being unable to play the game, you gibbering gibbon.
>You can still roleplay
Technically true, in the same sense that you can roleplay your carcass decomposing when your character dies.
>>
File: Doctor Hibbert IV.jpg (315KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Doctor Hibbert IV.jpg
315KB, 1000x1000px
One of my players regularly tries to hide what his stats and skills, what spells he has or what his spell save is from me, the DM. I'm not entirely sure why, because I don't metagame and play the enemies with pre-existing knowledge of their abilities.

At least 3 times a session I'll have to try and remind him that I need to know this sort of information, and he always gets a sullen look on his face, but I don't know how he expects me to properly tailor encounters without knowing what the party is capable of.
>>
File: images (29).jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
images (29).jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>play a dragonborn who proudly served as a city guard, honorable and honest
>had to quit and look for higher paying jobs to support his family, sends his most of his salary
>GM forces magical bullshit constantly to degenerate my character's mind to a corrupt, gluttonous sleeze who abandoned his goal
>>
>>54951803
>I didn't read the entire comment chain and thought my witty retort was pertinent when in reality I just made myself look like a retard!

The post
>>
>>54951821
>players are entitled to fudging
>>
>>54953663
>combat is all there is to the game
>when combat is going on all you can do is combat
>anything outside of stating where you move and what attack you make is not only impossible, but if it weren't impossible it would not even constitute playing the game

Were you dropped on your head as a child?
>>
>>54939752
>players get stupid idea
>it makes me laugh so I let it work even though it's stupid
>give them minimal consequences
>players whine at the minimal consequences
>>
>>54953663
So even though he rolled poorly, he should be entitled to not suffer the consequences of poor luck, and just be let loose? This is assuming you read the thread of course, somehow I don't think you did.

I can get being annoyed at your poor luck, but if your rolls are shit, then that's not the DM's fault and to complain at them about it is childish.
>>
>>54954537
>>54954702
>Combat isn't the only component of the game!
>Just the one we're all participating in right now!
>Except you. Random roll has decided that you don't get to participate.
>But it's totally not my fault as GM! I'm blameless here!

Fuck you forever.
>>
I've had this one DM for close to two years now
EVERY single one of his encounters ALWAYS involves the big bad of the day trying to convince the players to join them. And its always a trap of course.

It's fucking bizarre. He'll always break the flow of every encounter to tell us Today's Bandit life story. Its never even a good justification, either, and he always does it in this naive, accusitory tone
>What, we just tried to rob you, why are you killing us? Come join us
>What, we're only attacking caravans for our Evil God. Come worship Satan with us
>Why are you so mad at that plague for? Come worship Poison Cult with us
>Dude why are you taking revenge for that city I burned down, I'm a dragon of course I burn insignificant humans. Work for me humans

Heaven forbid if you ever actually acknowledged any of these characters by responding to their conversation. The first few times he did this, we weren't used to just starting fights mid-monologue. These conversations could go on for an honest to god HOUR, in the most banal, circular horseshit imaginable. Imagine this shit reprated ad nuseum for an hour.
>Dude come be goblins with us
>No you're fucked up and evil
>What? No we not, come be goblins with us
>No
>Why not? I dont see anything wrong with what I do, its you who is weird come be goblins
Forever. All just so he could fucking grin to himself and shout 'SURPRISE it was a trap, surprise round eat shit!'. Eventually, we realized that he wasn't going to start combat, so we shot first. By the way, he ALWAYS gets pissy when we shoot first
After a while, we started just initiating combat before anyone could open their fucking mouth. He often tries to have that bite us in the ass through DM fiat
>Oh the obvious 'help me im a prisoner' trap we spotted hidden weapons on survives your attacks, teleports away (shes a mage btw) and also she's the governers daughter ooo you're in some trouble now when you get back
>>
>>54951098
It's often more a problem that is social rather than the magical. My biggest problems come when the players insult or betray important people and then perennially seem to be surprised when such people go out of their way to take revenge.
>>
>>54954795
>once every thousand fights there is the possibility a player may be stuck in a control effect for twenty minutes while the rest of the party kills the monster

Boo-fucking-hoo. This is seriously the hill you want to die on? The statistical anomaly of rolling low several times in a row? Not legitimate instances of dms removing player agency?
>>
>>54953712
I just go full asshole and tilt the npcs/monsters and say "Sorry I haven't seen your stats to scale right" That fixes things real quick.
>>
File: Don't.png (134KB, 356x356px) Image search: [Google]
Don't.png
134KB, 356x356px
>>54954795
Then why bother rolling dice in the first place? If you're happy enough to roll a crit, then you should also accept when the dice aren't in your favour.

You're literally arguing against one of the fucking core tenants of the game, the entire fucking reason dice are used, i.e. luck.

If its a DM being a dick on purpose, that's one thing, but if its literally dice rolls? Fuck off.

Thank fuck you're not a player at any of my tables, friend.
>>
>>54955018
It's not really fair on the rest of the group though, and I hate to be the kind of DM who punishes stuff because we're there to have fun, not for me to throw a tantrum and shit on the group because they aren't bending to my every whim.
>>
>>54955131
There are other options than 'lol why even roll dice'. Like not having effects that take away total control of the character. Or having the duration be more limited, or having saves scale up the longer you're affected.
>>
>>54955012
>Not legitimate instances of dms removing player agency?

Stun mechanics are exactly that, which is what the whole argument was about. Not the existentialism of why we roll dice or whatever this >>54955131 faggot seems to think its about.
>>
>>54955191
Again, you're rallying against luck. If you'd happily accept 7 turns of crits on the trot, you should also accept 7 turns of failure. This isn't a fault of the DM, it's a fault of luck.

Every turn when you get the saving throw, you're controlling the character. You're attempting to throw off the debilitating effect.

How the fuck are your villains supposed to remain threats, if the party knows that you'll go easy on them if you have a run of bad luck?

Do you have autism? Not even memeing, seriously, do you? Do you always throw tantrums when things outside of your control don't go your way?
>>
File: 1502604792609.png (126KB, 366x468px) Image search: [Google]
1502604792609.png
126KB, 366x468px
>player dies
>he doesn't want to play anymore
>>
>>54955222
Stun mechanics and their like are there to give attacks more flavour than just one character whacking another. I'd rather play a game where the enemy has the ability to fuck my character over for multiple turns than one where the DM will hold my hand and change my nappy if things get a bit too tough because of, again, LUCK.

If the DM is using stun mechanics to deliberately fuck over a player, then sure, you have an argument and I'd agree with you all night long, but if they're using a creatures ability and because of bad luck it persists for several turns? Nah. Bad luck, the dice were low, sorry.

I can't imagine playing round a table where everyone, myself included wouldn't find the persistence of my low rolls fucking hilarious the longer it goes on to be fair.
>>
>>54955274
>Every turn when you get the saving throw, you're controlling the character. You're attempting to throw off the debilitating effect.
That's not controlling my character. It's literally a loss of control. I can't choose what I'm doing, I have to attempt to remove the effect.
>Do you have autism? Not even memeing, seriously, do you? Do you always throw tantrums when things outside of your control don't go your way?
I haven't even posted on this thread about this topic before. You're the one who looks like he's throwing a tantrum.
>>
>>54938452
i have this book, will report back if i find it
>>
>>54942920
sorry anon
next time we'll just split up individually and you can run 5 different games for the session
>>
>>54955431
couldnt find the spell in 3rd or 4th lvl lists, i refuse to look more
>>
>>54954869
I actually want to play in this campaign, this sounds hilarious.
>>
File: 1469751018952.gif (2MB, 393x561px) Image search: [Google]
1469751018952.gif
2MB, 393x561px
>archer BBEG is at the top of a tower
>characters gets successful rope lasso on him and pulls him to make him fall to his death
>he floats in air
>"sorry he has floating magic"
>>
>>54955191
>There are other options than 'lol why even roll dice'. Like not having effects that take away total control of the character.
This, when I GM I avoid monsters and spells that keep PCs from playing because I know that shit isn't fun.
>>
>>54954869
i'd be a goblin with you
>>
File: 1360463141382.gif (632KB, 280x362px) Image search: [Google]
1360463141382.gif
632KB, 280x362px
>>54955343
>player dies
>get a text after the funeral
>he still wants to play next week
>>
>>54956168
kek
>>
>>54956103
Ditto. Paralyze/stun/charm effect just aren't fun for the players, and you still can have challenging fights without ever using them.
>>
>>54951282
It sounds like he was playing on old school hard mode where you have to pinpoint every single detail ("we make sure to wash ourselves to get rid of the smell") for realism and you guys were expecting a lot of stuff would get handwaved for convenience. Nope! Those kinds of games run on that sort of hoop jumping. That's what necessitates smart strategies to get around it.
>>
File: IMG_4294.jpg (59KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4294.jpg
59KB, 480x270px
>>54931755
>DM gives us problem
>Come up with creative solution
>DM says it doesn't work
>>
>player tries something the GM totally didn't plan for
>That sounds pretty hard but fuck it dude, make a roll and let's see if it works.
>GM is visibly disappointed when the roll fails
I think it's to do with how the GM reacts desu
>>
>>54955274
>How can I POSSIBLY threaten my player's characters if I can't deny them from playing the game?

You can't be fucking serious.
>>
>>54955173
Ah but you are not shitting on them, you are showing that without knowing that stats stuff can go south, that's why I said tilt, not full fuck you.
>>
>>54956719
in fairness creative might not be right for the solution.
>>
>>54956719
Creative doesn't necessarily mean feasible, anon.
>>
File: 1404262446948.jpg (85KB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
1404262446948.jpg
85KB, 699x699px
>>54955274
>villains can only be threats if they can paralyze players
>>
>>54956719
Ah yes the age old issue in schools now where because they tried and it was "unique" it must be rewarded positively. If you only enjoy tabletop when you are winning then you are playing it wrong.
>>
File: 1246736783854896.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1246736783854896.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>player does something stupid that hurts his character
>loses his fucking shit and cries
>he was 25 at the time
>>
File: 1410819049221.png (32KB, 271x243px) Image search: [Google]
1410819049221.png
32KB, 271x243px
>>54956719
>DM gives us problem
>come up with creative solution
>DM says it works
>rest of the players try to also solve the problem anyway by murderizing it
>putting us in more trouble than when we'd started
>even though i'd already solved the problem
>>
>>54955131
>tenants
tenets*

It's a set of rules, not a fucking apartment.
>>
File: 1500939135787.jpg (23KB, 393x327px) Image search: [Google]
1500939135787.jpg
23KB, 393x327px
>PCs keep making bad life choices and iffy plans that compound on each other constantly
>every so often things explode after building on each other over several sessions
>group is having a blast
>I barely have to plan sessions because their nonsense more or less writes things for me
>they even message me days after the session to introduce more risky business

I fucking love my group.
>>
>>54957176
It sort of feels like you're over generalizing.
>>
>>54956936
It does. If it wasn't feasible, it wasn't very creative, because you're stretching the confines of plausibility. Constraints breed creativity, not freedom. If y'all are disagreeing it means you're not communicating well enough.
>>
>>54942449
Did you roll bad?
>>
>>54955222
>monsters should never attempt to use any sort of crowd control ability
>the rules hurt my feefees, dm fix it
>>
>>54938438
>>54938452
>>54938492
>>54938502
>>54955682
Leomund’s Secret Chest
Conjuration (Summoning)
Target: One chest and up to 1 cu. ft. of
goods/caster level
Duration: Sixty days or until discharged
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You hide a chest on the Ethereal Plane for
as long as sixty days and can retrieve it at
will... Once the
chest is hidden, you can retrieve it by
concentrating (a standard action), and it
appears next to you... You
can have but one pair of these chests at any
given time—even a wish spell does not
allow more. The chests are nonmagical and
can be fitted with locks, wards, and so on,
just as any normal chest can be.
To hide the chest, you cast the spell
while touching both the chest and the
replica. The chest vanishes into the Ethereal Plane. You need the replica to recall
the chest. After sixty days, there is a
cumulative chance of 5% per day that the
chest is irretrievably lost. If the miniature
of the chest is lost or destroyed, there is no
way, not even with a wish spell, that the
large chest can be summoned back, although an extraplanar expedition might be
mounted to find it.
Living things in the chest eat, sleep, and
age normally, and they die if they run out
of food, air, water, or whatever they need
to survive.
Focus: The chest and its replica.
>>
File: unassuming face.png (32KB, 266x278px) Image search: [Google]
unassuming face.png
32KB, 266x278px
>DM is describing something poorly
>I say that's stupid and propose a better idea
>DM gets mad
>>
>>54944332
>the GM has the power to arbitrarily fuck any character any time they want
This is true of many things that aren't D&D Wizards. All it means is that you have a shit GM.
>>
File: 1422855415974.png (163KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
1422855415974.png
163KB, 413x451px
>>54959142
basically, 'everyone else fucks things up after the problem's already solved' feels like it happens a lot in my group
there are just so many impulsive fuckheads
>playing a cyberpunk campaign
>i'm the group's hacker
>we have to recover some teammates from an enemy boat after they got captured, just off the coast of japan
>we've got access to two boats and a helicopter
>three of us in the helicopter, including myself
>other two in boats
>i get the pilot to fly us in to check it out, discover i can connect to the boat
>radio in that i'm hacking it
>after some work discover that the boat is a drone
>ask the DM how it's being controlled
>turns out it's getting a signal containing instructions from somewhere on-land
>disable the receiver and spoof the signal, tell it to stop and wait
>it's completely helpless now, i've also disabled its weapons
>meanwhile the people inside the boat have escaped and are fucking up the four or so guards on it
>entire encounter solved
>we can safely pick them up and fly back out without anybody ever noticing
>then one of the fuckheads on our boats shoots an anti-tank rifle at the drone
>door-gunner in the helicopter opens up with his minigun
>other of our boats rams into it
>all this while three of our crew are still on the drone
>crossfire and a fueltank exploding almost kills them, scuttles both boats, and forces us to ditch the helicopter and hide before the coast guard investigate
>now we have to make our way back to our HQ on-foot through the slums
>>
>autistic grognards have a miscommunication because they're autistic grognards
>more autistic grognards """argue""" with each other here over the miscommunications of other autistic grognards

In all seriousness though, almost all these just sound like breakdowns of communication. There's a lesson in here somewhere.
>>
>>54942449
but it depends on enemy motivations
just like you get to reroll a save on dominate when ordered to do something you would never normally do, like attack your allies.

Unless you already have a reputation why would they just do what you say? "Oh we dont want to kill you? Can we come to a compromise?" Well maybe someone else will kill them if they don't. Maybe a compromise isn't feasible at all for them to achieve their goals? If they're hired muscle did you offer to pay them? Even then maybe they feel honorbound to not betray their faction?
>>
File: 1395086910220.png (347KB, 705x500px) Image search: [Google]
1395086910220.png
347KB, 705x500px
>>54937940
>assmad player makes up shit to get back at his anonymous GM
>>
>>54959663
oh wow, no secure and protected.
and you need a little replica of the chest to summon it, could it be that the replica was stolen?

doesn't matter anything could have happened.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.