[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 28

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread >>54925302

How did your party stumble upon their biggest hoard of treasure? What was guarding it and how did they kill it?
>>
First for HAIL ASMODEUS
>>
>>54931394
The DM gave our lvl 1 party of five his setting's equivalent of 5000gp and a bag of holding session 1. Shit wasn't even guarded yo.
>>
>>54931406
HAIL!

>>54931394
The only treasure horde we really got in our last adventure we actually missed. We were trying to get to a town in the underdark and out of the gnoll cave, and we missed 4K in gold.

Needless to say, we're much more exploratory now.

That said, the DM HATES shopping, so gold is kinda meh outside buying equipment. I'll probably start hiring meat shields once we get en ough money.
>>
Would it be interesting or idiotic to have a setting where spells create auras of an element around the caster and if anyone uses a spell/weapon of that element they get the advantage on attack? With opposites being disadvantage

I'm unsure how long I'd want them to linger, maybe only a turn or two

I'm stealing this straight from Tales of the Abyss but probably making the auras bigger.
>>
>>54931462
>Person casts the cantrip, fire bolt
>Enemy wizard drops a fireball on them with advantage, hitting them and whoever was nearby
>>
>>54931462
It would be very anime and dumb. If you're playing an anime game, go nuts.
>>
>>54931406
>When your bf is called Amadeus
>He gets you to call him Asmodeus in bed sometimes

Is this a form of worship to him, or disrespecting him?
>>
>>54931496

How the hell would fireball get advantage.
>>
File: Hurr.jpg (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Hurr.jpg
19KB, 200x200px
>>54931496
>drops fireball on them with advantage
>fireball with advantage
>>
>>54931496
Fireball is a save though, so it wouldn't be super effective.
>>
File: dnd (2).png (10KB, 266x185px) Image search: [Google]
dnd (2).png
10KB, 266x185px
>>54931394
>NOT Jewish Banker funding all sorts of not nices
>100k in gold plus magic items
>Such is the high level life
>>
>>54931496
But enemy caster dont roll for fireball. Having advantage does nothing at all.
>>
>>54931462
just sounds like any mage is going to be in the spotlight one way or another.

would have to give other non-magic players some sort of shiny.
>>
>>54931511
You roll damage twice and take the highest, duh
>>
>>54931530
That'd be where magical weapons come into play, ideally
>>
How do you guys get over player and character cross limitations?

One of my characters is very outspoken and a quick wit, but under pressure I personally stammer and stutter a lot, even when attempting to talk in-character. My dm then interprets my character as a stammering fool when he should be displaying confidence (EG, bluffing or negotiating)
>>
>>54931552
Advantage only applies to d20s
>>
>>54931569
might I suggest a neutral weapon that simply eats the FOFs and gets elemental benefits? Maybe it's made of specul metal.
>eats electricity
>advantage on next 2 attacks if enemy is wearing metal armor, enemy struck is no longer able to make reactions until their next turn

Likely do the same with spells, smaller bonuses unless the FOF grows from multiple spells, then start adding damage.
>>
>>54931617
Ah bonuses for multiple turns seems a lot better than the initial crazy thought of multiple fields meaning just add more d20s to the advantage.

Though the second use would mean large gatherings of wizards would get near guaranteed spells if they coordinated
>>
>>54931406

HAIL!
>>
>>54931567
Sorc's can take it too, and this is an awesome idea, thanks!.
>>
>>54931617
The special metal could simply be silver to give it more use outside of the normal resistance passing

Or maybe Mythril?
>>
>>54931718
Notice the conditional advantage! that part is very important. You can't just throw around advantage all over the place otherwise two things will happen;

a) enemy uses FOFs to their advantage, every combat becomes a DPS/Initiative race because nobody ever misses
b) enemy does not use it, party never misses and attack and crits fly around everywhere.

Make smaller bonuses! Electricity costing reaction loss, maybe ice makes them have a -2 to hit because of shivering or something, perhaps fire heats metal cauterizing the wound partially taking half of the damage and removing it from max health pool until long rest.
Higher FOFs from growth could simply add small amounts of damage. (1d4 every 3rd level spell slot used to create the aura?)
I recommend utilizing the FOF to require a bonus action spent, however.
>>54931752
The possibilities are very open, maybe it's simply that certain metals are more susceptable to different elements? Perhaps Silver isn't as well suited as a weapon, but conducts all elements fantastically resulting in low physical but higher magical potential.
>>
File: stone cold steve austin.pdf (883KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
stone cold steve austin.pdf
883KB, 1x1px
Thoughts on my magic grappler?
>>
Does anybody have an example of what half armor might look like on a mount?
>>
File: seethatmountainyoucanclimbit.png (70KB, 763x445px) Image search: [Google]
seethatmountainyoucanclimbit.png
70KB, 763x445px
Was he lying, or are the designers just incompetent?
>>
>>54931893
should have passed on "by popular demand" and got magic initiate for lightning lure, though I imagine you don't -need- it with 40 movement.
Also the name is wrong in either backstory or at the top of your sheet.
>>
>>54931915
like full armor, only half as much.
>>
>>54931915
Horse bikinis
>>
>>54931949
I believe this is incompetence in both developers and DMs. Most DMs seem to fail in exploration/character interaction due to lack of preparedness or inability to improvise. If more mechanics were in place to complement these it may have made it easier for DMs to cope. Players are also partially the problem, but bad players gonna bad.
>"I bluff the guard. I rolled a 20. What do you mean how do I bluff him?"
>>
>>54931893
Dont bother putting +'s in front of all your skills. Just put - in front of all the negative ones so you can read the double digit ones
>>
File: 1332207831413.jpg (23KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
1332207831413.jpg
23KB, 569x428px
Do the blacksmiths/armorers in your world sell +1 gear?

The longer I DM the more I agree that these items are considered gamebreaking for a reason.

When a players AC goes out of bounds of 90% of attacks or when a player can easily bypass the "resistance to non magic weapons".
>>
>>54932116
>Do the blacksmiths/armorers in your world sell +1 gear?
No. The creation of magical weapons and armor is a lost art, any magic weapons and armor found in the world has been around for at least 500 years
>>
>>54932096
That's automatically done by orcpub, I'll manually edit that later.

>>54931993
I like the backstory too much, and Magic Initiate doesn't fit.

I'm going to be completely honest, this character is basically entire built to give me the best chance at grappling a dragon in midair (using Enlarge to go from Medium to Large, thereby being able to grapple a Huge adult dragon). Grappling reduces all speeds to 0, which means the dragon can't fly while grappled. It starts falling and I ride my grappled dragon to earth like Dr. Strangelove's bomb where it takes a stupid amount of damage from the fall and dies instantly.
>>
>>54932116
Non-magical +1 gear is the work of a true master. They have managed to make their materials into something stronger/sharper/better than what should be possible. As such these things tend to be works of art or even life long works for the smiths. Many would refuse to part with them for sentimental value. Those who do would ask for an immense amount of gold for such a thing.

As such they are even more rare than magical weapons which themselves are rare.
>>
>>54932157
Remember, you're also going to take that damage too.
>>
File: 1387105528664.jpg (109KB, 1274x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1387105528664.jpg
109KB, 1274x1001px
>>54932116
>When one of your players got 28AC
>With +1 Plate
>A randomly generated Defender
>And Shield as an EK
>>
>>54932196
>>54932116
AC tanking is entirely counterable. Throw enough goblins/thugs/orcs and have them grapple. He'll lose an Athletics/Acrobatics check eventually, then get prone'd or restrained, and now you have advantage, which means eventually you'll get enough nat 20's to crit him to death.
>>
>>54931893

rogue/barb is stronger imo, rage gives you advantage on skill checks -> advantage on athletics to grapple
>>
>>54932263
To be honest, I'm pretty sure now that the Brawny feat is a thing Barbarian/Rogue doesn't hold the monopoly on grappler.

Hell a Minotaur Fighter with Brawny is probably going to do it better. They get ADV on Shoves always and can Grapple 2 people at once without giving up damage. Especially if they're an Eldritch Knight for things like Enlarge at higher levels.
>>
>>54932263
Enlarge also gives advantage on athletics. Rage disallows any use of concentration magic.
>>
File: 1344656358765.jpg (55KB, 900x810px) Image search: [Google]
1344656358765.jpg
55KB, 900x810px
>>54932243
>mfw people go entire campaign with never using the shove mechanic
>>
>>54932192
If I have a Feather Fall effect on me, it doesn't decelerate me because I'm attached to the dragon, right? So I'll fall at its speed but take no damage because of Feather Fall.

So I can use Feather Fall to avoid that damage. Or it is Bludgeoning damage so if I can get some armor with Bludgeoning resistance I'll be good.
>>
>>54932243
How does one character escape multiple grapples?
If a player is grappled by 3 orcs at once, does his action only let him contest 1 grapple, or can he contest all 3 at once?

Also, why would anyone just "contest" a grapple with their whole action when they could just use ONE of their ATTACKS to SHOVE the enemy out of reach, automatically ending the grapple?
>>
>>54932348
Can't shove creatures 2 sizes bigger than you.
Best way to end multiple grapples is Thunderwave.
>>
Just played my first session of a tabletop ever. My gnome wizard tripped and fell into a clearing with 40 cultists worshipping the moon, and they weren't happy. It was fun and I don't know why I waited so long to start playing.
>>
>>54932348
contests one at a time
shoving is indeed superior.
>>
Thinking of picking up Magic Initiate on my Battlemaster. Wizard spell list. Considering Poison Spray and Shocking Grasp for the cantrips and either Shield, Longstrider, or Charm Person.

Waste of a feat? Decent pick? Help me out here.
>>
>>54932291
You know you can be a Minotaur barbarogue right?
>>
>>54932346
Right. Feather fall specifies its activity quite clearly. Two separate effects. 60 feet per round falling rate and if you land before the spell ends, you takes no falling damage and can land on your feet. (and the spell ends)

Only DM rule 0 would hurt you.
>>
>>54932346
It slows your descent. Theoretically as long as the creature isn't more than 60 feet up that will be fine, but any higher than that and it's going to fall faster than you will.
>>
>>54932392
Longstrider is great, it doesn't require concentration which is very nice.

Shield will save you at least once

Cantrips are very tough to choose between but if you're a Battlemaster why do you need a melee spell? Just attack them instead. I take utility things like Light and Mage Hand.
>>
>>54931949
>>54932043
D&D is not well designed to handle nuanced character interaction or exploration.

If the developers truly intended to handle social interaction and exploration in their creation of 5e, then they forgot about it pretty quickly.
>>
>>54932431
Is my character actually falling though? They're grappling onto a dragon and the dragon is falling. So I think Feather Fall's speed reduction would get superseded by me holding on. Maybe make an Athletics check to see if I can hold on hard enough to overcome Feather Fall slowing me down?
>>
>>54932263
action surge > rage at higher levels when you can get your advantage on athletics rolls from other sources
>>
>>54932406
For what? Rage and good DEX saves? I'd rather better armour, attacks and more ASI. Plus the ability to get Maneuvers or Casting.
>>
>>54932157
So you essentially want to be Los Tiburon?
>>
Does ravenloft haves a pantheon?
>>
>>54932459
1. You're falling
2. Flying creatures fall if their speed becomes 0
3. Your grapple reduces grappled creature speed to 0
4. Grappled Dragon thus falls normally
5. Fall speed is normally 580 ft per round
6. Slow fall speed is 60 ft per round
7. Difference in falling speed will force the Dragon away from you
8. Dragon would be no longer grappled
9. Level 2 spell Earthbind: Choose one creature you can see within range(300 ft). Yellow strips of magical energy loop around the creature. The target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or its flying speed (if any) is reduced to 0 feet for the spell's duration. An airborne creature affected by this spell descends at 60 feet per round until it reaches the ground or the spell ends.
10. Wizards win again.
>>
File: latest[1].png (443KB, 743x586px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
443KB, 743x586px
>Tfw your party will finally meet the bbeg tomorrow
>Tfw they will finally find out that they are basically fighting Hexxus from fern gully

I really hope they take this positively and dont get pissed.
>>
>>54932521
Not really, there's only the Morninglord (said to refer to Lathander) and Mother Night (who may be Shar, the Raven Queen etc). These two might not even exist, the Dark Powers wouldn't allow a pantheon to spring up.
>>
How do we fix heavy and medium armor? My PCs all max Dex and have higher AC then most of my paladins. I'm thinking of bumping up DR of medium armor to 3 and heavy armor to 4 or 5 to make it more valuable thoughts?
>>
>>54932564
Might actually be a good idea. Not sure how that might affect balance but it's worth considering.
>>
>>54932508
That's a great greentext that I hadn't read before coming up with this, I swear.

>>54932537
>An airborne creature affected by this spell descends at 60 feet per round until it reaches the ground or the spell ends.

That's faggot shit compared to

>Grapple dragon in midair
>It's forced to divebomb the earth and it's skull shatters on impact

Also based on what RAW is falling speed 580 feet per round? That's not how acceleration, air resistance, and terminal velocities work, which is why they just call it (x/10)d6, where x is the feet you fall.
>>
>>54932564
>max DEX and higher AC than plate

wat

light
12+(dex) = 17 max
medium
15+(dex max 2) = 17 max
plate

uuuuu wut
>>
Do Favored Soul sorcerers get access to cleric spell scrolls?
>>
>>54932560
so how does one plays a paladin or cleric in ravenloft?
>>
>>54931394
Okay so I'm running SKT and a cleric just controlled water, part water option, to capsize the giant ship. I let it go because I couldn't think of any counter reasoning for it not being allowed and not having the effect that it did.
Is control water really that powerful? That just destroys any ship basically. It's only 4th level as well. How would a ship even begin to counter that?
>>
>>54932564
Stop giving PC's boosts to their max stats.

Give out more +1/2/3 medium and heavy armors, it's not like the great smiths of yore would spend their time making the best studded leather imagineable. All those dwarves wanted to make kickass full plate.
>>
>>54932626
>Also based on what RAW is falling speed 580 feet per round? That's not how acceleration, air resistance, and terminal velocities work, which is why they just call it (x/10)d6, where x is the feet you fall.

I didn't make the number up. Number comes from calculation and some dev tweet. essentially 580 ft per round is accurate enough that you hit the ground in a single round in almost any scenario.
>>
>>54932574
Yeah, it's been a bit irritating that "my superior speed should be able to beat him" PCs can run circles around enemies and not get hit while the big ass people in full and have plate can't do shit.

However, the question is if the DR is too much, or too little? I'm considering giving the reduction on mostly everything except for like lightning.

>>54932633
Okay, take 1 level in fighter or ranger. Or be a sorcerer plus have a shield.

12 or 13 +5 max Dex + 1 for defensive +2 for shield +1 for fighting defensively=21-22 AC. That is assuming they do not have +1 armor.
>>54932650
Most characters have rolled 18 and stuff in Dex and then pump it up with ABI and feats. They haven't even gotten +1 armors

I'm just trying to figure out how to make heavy armor worth it, no one really cares for Str and Heavier armor when Dex functions as both their attack and their AC
>>
>>54932116
No one considers +1 weapons and armor to be gamebreaking...
>>
>>54932537
>>54932459
>implying there's any definition in 5e in what fall speed is
>>
File: skt.jpg (127KB, 593x423px) Image search: [Google]
skt.jpg
127KB, 593x423px
Wanna run this for a group that might not last, so I don't wanna set up a whole campaign for them.

Is it any good, or is there a better premade that starts at 1 and can go for a long time?
>>
>>54932715
I'd just run LMoP and see if the group can function in that. If they can, you can run just about anything with a party of level 5s.
>>
If paladins are immune to disease, does that mean they are immune to poisons?
If they're immune to poisons, does that make them immune to poison damage?
>>
>>54932715
It's okay. It's really bare bones in terms of giant lore imo, but it's okay outside of that.
>>
>>54932738
no
>>
>>54932685
>Most characters have rolled 18 and stuff in Dex
detected the faggotroni
probability to roll 18 is very low. you shouldn't be letting them roll anyway.

>12 or 13 +5 max Dex + 1 for defensive +2 for shield +1 for fighting defensively=21-22 AC. That is assuming they do not have +1 armor.
18 plate, +1 defensive, +2 for shield is 22 AC. It's the same thing.

>nobody cares for STR
mob grapple melee DEXmonkeys.
>>
File: 096 - dnQiXi7.jpg (33KB, 433x325px) Image search: [Google]
096 - dnQiXi7.jpg
33KB, 433x325px
>>54932669
>dev tweets are now RAW
>>
File: 14659832.jpg (91KB, 662x660px) Image search: [Google]
14659832.jpg
91KB, 662x660px
>>54932738
Does it say they're immune to poisons?

Don't be a retard.
>>
>>54932640
Control Water affects an area that does not move from its location specified in the original casting. If the ship is moving, the area affected by the spell will quickly move behind the ship/
>>
>>54932116
Depends on the party. I don't ever do +1 armor or shields, but I tend to let players shuffle around towns for +1 weapons. Resistance to nonmagical weapons doesn't even apply to players who are using magic to begin with, so I find it unfun for players who just do half damage just because they wanted to play a melee class. If I wanted to challenge them despite giving them access to +1 weapons, I'd just throw things resistant to piercing or slashing.
>>
>>54932756
You're right anon. Reason why so many 18s is the way everyone rolls dice. I agreed on a method that the players all really liked and can usually manage an 18 quite easily. Maybe I'll start doing point by from now on.

>mob grapple melee DEXmonkeys.
Did this proved to be incredibly effective, will do in the future.

The question is should I still buff heavy and medium armor to make them more desirable in combat with DR?
>>
>>54932775
He was in the water. Not moving.
I'm just trying to think how a ship would even counter this other than having their own druid or cleric with control water.
Counterspell doesn't even have the range and you have to see them. Dispel magic wouldn't end the effect fast enough.
How would ships even begin to stop this?
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
>>54932789
>Resistance to nonmagical weapons doesn't even apply to players who are using magic to begin with, so I find it unfun for players who just do half damage just because they wanted to play a melee class.

Fair point. Although I find it thematically aggrieving that say a gargoyle or any kind of beast that has resistances can just be bypassed by a +1 sword.

Now a truly magic sword like Flametongue I can understand.
>>
>>54932816
>I agreed on a method that the players all really liked and can usually manage an 18 quite easily.
What the fuck is the method? 5d6 drop 2? 4d6 capped at 18? Regardless you're pretty stupid for allowing a roll method any higher than 4d6 drop 1
>>
>>54931993
>>54932157
By Popular Demand is a background feature, meant almost entirely for fluff. Magic Initiate is a feat, which is something that gives you crunch benefits.

You can't swap one for another.
>>
>>54932860
That's why it kinda depends on the party. In some cases I tend to make shit up a lot when it comes to magic items for lower tier characters. A bow that isn't considered a +1 bow magic weapon, but it's special in having +1 to attack rolls.

Or just toss a gargoyle at the party as a thing standing between them and a treasure of their first magic item. Harder for later level characters, I guess.
>>
>>54932865
It was 4d6 drop 1
>>
>>54932816
>The question is should I still buff heavy and medium armor to make them more desirable in combat with DR?

no. the game doesn't need to be slowed down for your attempt at balancing. Everyone will reach the same AC range regardless of being STR or DEX or whatever.
>>
File: 1440401823452.gif (2MB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
1440401823452.gif
2MB, 500x440px
Is there a list of oneshot adventures somewhere?

I'm looking for material for my players to run and have a change to DM.
>>
>>54932923
>A bow that isn't considered a +1 bow magic weapon, but it's special in having +1 to attack rolls.

I implemented that as well, a +1 sword is just extra sharp because of its masterwork property.

But then the players say shit like

>but having +1 makes it a magic weapon
>its in the magic item list
>>
>>54932925
That method doesn't make 18s THAT common... you still have less than a 10% chance to roll a single 18 in six rolls
>>
What is a good way to lure players into barovia?
>>
>>54932995
"Fuck you, you wake up in Barovia"
>>
>>54932995
The call to adventure! We just had an old crone offer us an invitation at a bar at we fuckin went for it.
>>
>>54932949
how to make any magic weapon awesome even if it's just a "magic weapon for purposes of bypassing resistance"

make it out of a crazy material, unnaturally hard
ex: bone, wood, glass, etc.
make it a flashlight
It does something weird but completely harmless
ex: bring it up to your ear you can hear it whisper food recipes, the hilt has a mouth that will eats stray bugs, it can be folded but always maintains its shape in combat, etc.
Give it a name ex: The Zorkdizzler, Da'Ru'de the Storm, First Oath, F'lafinad, "Escape from Alcatraz", etc.

Give them a picture of the magic weapon.

Works for any kind of game. High RP, hack'n'slash, whatever. Even Dick's in a investigative crime drama often have a unique and named "piece".
>>
>>54932738
Disease is viruses/bacteria, poisons are chemicals. Not the same thing.
>>
>>54932995
Werewolf hunting. With a big bounty on it.
>>
>>54933031
>>54933056
I am planning in doing the first option but instead of just "my master needs your help" make it "my master need your help in killing werewolves"
>>
What's a good bullshit reward to give the players? The just saved the daughter of the mayor but the entire town are actually Fey just causing issues that they need the party to "solve" to see how long until the party dies/figures it out. I plan for them to give increasingly dumb, useless or detrimental gifts to the party and want some ideas.
>>
>>54933047
But Anon

We are chemicals
>>
>>54933082
Discounts at the store, a permanent residence, free food, to get them to stay longer. So while not exactly useless rewards, they would give incentive to stay in the town longer and help out. The more danger the adventure they return from the more discounts. Until they are literally begging them to live in the town and solve all their problems.
>>
>>54933082
>medals
>recomendations in paper form
>art
>ritual weapons
>>
>>54933082
A sword that produces a decently loud ringing noise when adventurers are near
>>
>>54933082
a 500lb copper statue of the mayor. A copper piece is roughly 11.5 grams (approximately 40 to a pound). This means this statue is worth about 200 gold.
>>
>>54933082
>>54933082
A pair of notebooks that can be used to communicate instantly anywhere in the cosmos. But they change the most important detail to something random, but fitting. multiverse by
>>
>>54933082
A certificate saying that a tree has been planted in their name in some far-off country.
A discount on a stay at one of the inns in town, except it's worse in quality and still more expensive than wherever they're currently staying.
An animal that is so old it's useless.
A wooden sword that's been magic'd to look like an actual sword.
An actually good set of armor that looks dumb as hell. Like, an enchanted bunny costume or something.
>>
How would you, as a player, feel about your DM asking everyone what your background is at session zero, then immediately playing a quick half hour to an hour session using just ability scores and gear/proficiency/traits etc granted by background?
Give everyone 6 + con HP as a baseline.

Make the session RP focused, building contacts, doing small tasks for other people in your village/town/city.

Then next session, everyone adds their class traits/proficiencies + class gear and does a "two years later" type deal.

Show the adventurer before they were an adventurer?
>>
>>54933225
I'd like it.
>>
>>54933225
I'm stealing this, Thanks anon.
>>
>>54933225
I have always loved non-adventurer games but you better start above level 1 when you time jump. In 5E under level 3 is basically novice tier anyway so jumping from worthless to still-mostly-worthless isn't much of a move.

I both like and dislike the idea of the party being together for X years before actually going on adventures though. Could make for a great party but I'd really have to rethink most background stuff. In most of my character stories that shit's in the way past.
>As a child I was Background
>>
File: dul.png (849KB, 1280x1029px) Image search: [Google]
dul.png
849KB, 1280x1029px
What would be the best race/class combo to make a Dullahan? Blade Warlock with a Fey Patron?
>>
>>54933298
Probably something with armor.
>>
>>54933225
4e had level 0 rules for this.

You picked a power source (you were already an apprentice wizard/guy who trained with a sword a bit/got high with druids a few times/etc.) which gave you an "oh shit, I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's sorta working!" ability you could slightly adjust. At the end of the session/adventure, you looked at the adjustments you made, and leveled up to 1st level into the class based on what they were.

Not that 5e needs that sort of mechanical backing I guess.

Anyway, sounds like a really fun idea.
>>
>>54933082
A whistle that, to each person, sounds like their own mother calling their name.
A block of ice just barely too heavy for the strongest player in the party to move.
A chronicler from the town who vows to travel with the party and record their adventures for the town's records. Constantly fucks with the party under the guise of being a well-meaning bumbler.
A mirror that doesn't show the reflection of anything living.
>>
>>54933309
Eldritch Knight doesn't seem spoopy enough.
>>
>>54933320
Hexblades get medium + martials, plus very cursey... I dunno.
>>
>>54933298
Paladin of vengeance multiclass with fey warlock.
>>
>>54933353
Now we're talking!
>>
>>54933225
I have done something similar once, it was well received.

The characters were early teens and did some sleuthing (young adults lit style). It was great for getting a feel for personality, relationships and their home town.

>>54933268
In 5e I would probably jump to lvl 3.
>>
>>54933353
Straight Oathbreaker would work.
>>
I am running curse of strahd but i want to delay the players entrance to deat house at least one session, what can i do?
>>
>>54933381
I felt that Vengeance fits the lore of a dullahan better than oathbreaker
>Vengeance paladins hunt and kill evil shit
>Dullahan are heralds of death and vengeance like the headless horseman

Also the ability to instill fear in a specific target feels more right to me than control undead and a fear aura.

Now as for race I would say revenant but that is just me.
>>
>>54933381
>>54933353
>>54933343
>>54933309

What race? Scourge Aasimar, since it sounds like Dullahan can see with the light from their severed head?
>>
>>54933442
Hm, I haven't read up on Revenant. What book are they in? SCAG?
>>
>>54933452
Some kind of Genasi maybe?
>>
>>54933469
Unearthed Arcana: Ghothic Heroes
Having met a cruel and undeserved end, you have returned to the realm of the living. As a revenant, you thirst for revenge against those who wronged you in life, or seek to complete a final, critical task you left unfinished.

The revenant subrace can be applied to any race that has a subrace, and replaces that race's existing subrace options.
>>
>>54932640
>capsize the giant ship
If it were the first option, Flood, it would only affect Huge or smaller ships. A giant ship is definitely much much bigger than 15ft on a side.

But since you're talking Part Water
>The water then slowly fills in the trench over the course of the next round until the normal water level is restored.
Which means that even if the giant ship is capsized since it went to the bottom of the trench, the giants would have time to leap outside and hold the ship up in place for it to float once the water comes back.
>>
>>54933495
Oh, WOW. That sounds super fitting!

Beheaded Knight resurrected by the Unseelie Court to bring death to those deserving?

You guys are being a HUGE help!
>>
>>54933469
>>54933452
I would suggest at minimum 5 levels of paladin so you can get your fire snorting flame hoofed steed through the find steed spell.
>>
>>54932932
bump
>>
>>54933495
I'm reading the Revenant UA right now and I'm not sure I understand it. So they get a Con increase of +1, right? Does that stack on Dwarves?
>>
>>54933495
Honestly I totally ignored the Gothic Heroes UA but that sounds pretty badass. Time for more reading.
>>
>>54933517
best part is you can take the duelist fighting style and get +1 AC for using a one handed weapon without using anything in your off hand (which is holding your head).

>>54933560
Yep. You would get +3 con. However you dont get any subrace benefits so you only get the abilities listed under dwarf traits. No hill/mountain/drueger dwarf for you.
>>
>>54933585

+3 Con is still significant! And I know the whole Irish Dwarf thing is a WoW meme, but I feel a Hill Dwarf (in name only, dropping the subclass benefits) would work best for an Celtic monster.
>>
>>54933585
Duelist gives you +2 damage actually, I think.
>>
>>54933585
That 1hp/turn if under 50% probly makes up for Hill Dorf hp
>>
>>54933243
>>54933266
>>54933268
>>54933310
>>54933380
gosh, your all making me blush
>>
>>54933603
Woops you are right. Guess I was thinking defense for some reason.

>>54933602
Sounds good.

>>54933608
Even if it doesn't Revenant is worth it just for flavor.
>>
>>54933585
>without using anything in your off hand (which is holding your head).

Duellist is usually paired with a shield, but that wouldn't work conceptually with the off-hand occupied with their head, and a shield doesn't really fit the Dullahan's aesthetic anyways.
>>
File: 1503003086417.jpg (105KB, 700x989px) Image search: [Google]
1503003086417.jpg
105KB, 700x989px
did somebody say dullahan
>>
Why is Divination Wizard so strong?
>>
>>54933517
Bonus points if you can talk your DM into letting you have a magic helm that produces light like a lantern.
>>
>>54933745
Just cast Continual Flame on it
>>
>>54933723
Because it's one of the few options in the game that allows the player to directly fuck over the DM
>>
>>54933723
Play a halfling divination wizard with the lucky feat and laugh at your DM for allowing you to do it.

also >>54933753
>>
>>54933745
I'll see if my DM can let me reflavor this so that if the party recovers my head, my body can reform 24 hours later, so I can still chill with the party and get into hilarious head-based hijinks in the meantime.
>>
>>54933829
I'm gonna tell you right now that if your DM doesn't allow this then he hates fun
>>
>>54933829
https://youtu.be/dhRUe-gz690?t=249
COME BACK HERE YOU BASTARD! ILL BITE YOUR LEGS OFF!
>>
>>54933854
lol taht mdae me ecks dee

hvae an upboat XD
>>
In my last DnD group we had a guy who played an eldritch knight and every time - and I mean EVERY TIME - we'd visit a new town he'd try to sell his bonded weapon and then summon it back afterwards. If said weapon was placed in a bag of holding could it be considered on a different plane of existance, therefore preventing him calling it back?
>>
>>54933912
Have you ever even heard of Monty Python?
>>
>>54931394
So I've been thinking about homebrewing in flintlock pistols to better fit my setting, couldn't find anything in the books to fit my needs. But its good to have some sort of quality control right?

Been thinking to give these 2d8 damage pistols a 2 to 3 turn reload time to make up for the amount of hurt they do and lock them behind ridiculous prices (around the 500/1k range, bit high for low level ones) and ammo not that cheap either. Restricting them to certain classes on beginning and others always. Most need to switch a feature for later get to use them decently (making all rolls untrained count as disadvantage and roll low the thing explodes in your face) to mean they are a powerful but risky choice, needing multiple (aka more money= higher levels) to be effective.

How does it sound so far, too retarded of an idea or what?
>>
>>54933925
Yes, the contents of a Bag of Holding are in an extra-dimensional space, basically a pocket plane
>>
Every time I see a Music thread it evaporates after, like, 5 posts. So might as well ask here.

/r/ing good ominous background music, ideally stuff for exploration as well as spooky as shit boss music. If you need music as well I'll attempt to post some that fits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGmZN06lBI
>>
>>54933951
>While carrying gunpowder vulnerable to fire damage
>>
>>54933925
Yes, a bag of holding, a portable hole. These will put the weapon in extradimensional space - a demi plane. This will prevent the weapon bond from taking effect.

Make it a traveling merchant or something, and he's long gone by the time the PC's come back to try and get his weapon back. Maybe then he won't sell his bond weapon anymore
>>
>>54933975
And any water or ice related attacks just completely ruins your ability to fire?
>>
>>54934003
Yeah, or just double reload time or something. Of course long reload times are only so effective.
>Unseen servant, reload my brace of pistols as I fire.
>>
File: 15969.jpg (97KB, 629x548px) Image search: [Google]
15969.jpg
97KB, 629x548px
>>54933993
>>54933925
>A traveling Chinese merchant
>Hard negotiation
>Finally agree on a price player barely suppressing laughter the whole time
>"heh yeah 20gold thats fine buddy"
>"ALL SALES FINAL"
>"Yeah yeah whatever"
>Merchant pulls out a bag with a grinning face on it and you watch as your old sword disapears into that tiny space as if by magic
>"...what"
>"I go around the corner and summon my weapon back"
>"WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT DOESN'T WORK"
>Merchant walking away
>"Thank you all sales final good day"
>>
>>54934030
I was thinking to balance it with casters to make the option for proficiency only come at level 4 or 5.
That is why I'm worried I'm heading down the classic blunder road.

Alternatively another retarded idea: Gun clerics get a special unseen servant cast to reload guns for them.
>>
File: 1490350654351.png (129KB, 446x324px) Image search: [Google]
1490350654351.png
129KB, 446x324px
>>54934042
>It's a Bag of Devouring
>The Merchant is a GOOlock and his bag is his parton
>He says "you can go in the bag to get it if you want :^)"

"GOOlock who's patron is (connected to) a Bag of Devouring" always seemed like an amusing character theme to me but I've yet to see a DM willing to actually give a player one because Bag of Devourings are possibly one of the strongest items in the game if used cleverly.
>>
>>54934042
>Making it that obvious
That's going to be a dead merchant and a portable hole/bag of holding for your players
>>
>>54933499
We did out the math, the giants can't lift a giant ship. That was my first idea as well.
Also the player placed it in a way a such that the ship would tip in nose first.
Like seriously how the fuck do you stop that?
>>
>>54934102
Great. Guess what he saved the life of the local Duke once upon a time becoming an honorary member of the court.

Now you have the entire legal system of the land hunting the player down, ultimately ending in him being tried for murder and a prison arc where he becomes Gnarlax the Dragonborn's bitch.
>>
>>54934116
Counterspell
>>
>>54934123
Or: Traveling merchant is actually proficient at defending himself, carrying several useful defensive items.
>>
>>54934136
Range of 60 vs range of 300 plus sight is necessary
Dispel magic wouldn't stop the disastrous effect either
>>
>>54934141
Well he is asian.

You've just met "don't want no trouble" bruce lee of Faerun.
>>
>>54934146
>He does the infinite ladder trick out of his BoH
>Instantly become unbeatable
>>
>>54933972
I haven't known a lot of campaigns that actually run with music.
>>
>>54934159
>as you show your hostility, the merchant immediately equips two newborns, roll initiative
>>
Got a game, only three people, the other two are tabaxi rogue (either Thief or Arcane trickster) and aarakocra monk (probably Open Hand). Rolled 18 15 14 13 13 12

What fun MAD builds can I make with that?
>>
>>54934144
I wouldn't be so bothered by it if I could think of a counter that isn't stupid, but I can't. This like completely ruins naval warfare and it's not even that high of a spell.
Should I just equip like every ship with a 4th tier casting wizard, druid, or cleric?
>>
>>54933972
Try looking for "Dungeon Synth" on youtube and bandcamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytNp0gikre0

https://thangorodrimsynth.bandcamp.com/album/taur-nu-fuin-remaster

>>54934196
I sometimes pull out a background track for certain locations, but it's an exception rather than norm. And then the players are like "damn, the place's got it's own theme".

I frequently use ambient though, this is a great site:
http://rpg.ambient-mixer.com/
>>
>>54932554
Nice Villian choice.
>>
>>54934116
Fuck anon, if a crew of men could carry their ship, I don't see why a crew of giants couldn't carry theirs. They don't even need to carry it, just hold it up straight as the water flows back in (which would be even easier since things are lighter in water).

>We did out the math
Fuck the math. If the DM says giants can lift their own ship, they fucking do.
>>
>>54934252
>>54933972
>>54934196
I have a laptop and a speaker setup, always have some music playing.

http://www.tabletopaudio.com/ is good

Otherwise I just youtube repeat boss/fight music from any of my favourite games.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjMZjGhrFq_4llVS_x2XJ_w

Is also good channel for mixes.
>>
>>54934353
A crew of men can't either though. Ships are really heavy, unless they're small.
They would all legitimately argue with me about it as well. And not because they're trying to cheese but because they're all physics majors. They always ask me about things I never even think about and then I feel bad for saying 'lol' magic. The worst part is that their arguments are convincing.
>>
>>54933951
Biggest problem I find is compiling everything to make sure its not completely broken. Should I wait until my players undoubtedly tries to minmax around it to fix every detail or should I postphone running the campaign until I'm sure every little detail is checked?
>>
>>54933082
Make it like a dumb game show that doesn't make any sense in context.

>"Well done adventurers, you saved my daughter from rape and certain death! Spin the wheel to find your prize!"
>"You saved three people from the fire while the rest burnt to death! Why not take a gamble on the lucky dip?"
>"The monstrous necromancer might be wearing your true love's face as a mask and have stitched her body together with a giant spider to produce an eldritch being in eternal pain to kill you, but congratulations - you've got 50 tokens towards your next prize!"
>>
Give me example of adventure in the realm of chaos.

check'em
>>
>>54934403
... they don't argue about giants knees not folding up on themselves due to square cube law?
>>
>>54934456
The NAP is gonna get voilated, a lot.
>>
>>54934456
The forces of order have been caught trying to establish a constitutional monarchy in the Foothills of the chaotic mountains. Go show those statist cucks what's up.
>>
>>54934473
>>54934470
You are not the boss of me!
>>
>>54932640
It is that powerful. A ship counters it by having a ships wizard recognize the spell as must come, and expending a sixth level spellslot to counter it.
>>
>>54934466
They seem to argue more about things that are seen as mundane. If it's explained as magic they're okay. Giants as a race are magical so they're okay with that, but ships aren't. They're just fucking ships. I guess I could have made the giants just lift it anyway, but still this doesn't solve the general boat naval warfare problem.
>>
>>54934495
Can I justify having a wizard on every ship? Should I just make that the norm?
>>
>>54934516
I mean they don't have to be great wizards, could be some shitty hireling with a scroll or two prepared for that purpose.
>>
>>54934212
Cursebringer build Hexblade. 18 STR, 15 CHA, 14 DEX.
>>
Bring back mist dragons wotc
>>
>>54933310
4e sucks
>>
>>54934601
Sure.

Still full of good ideas.
>>
>>54934535
Forgot to mention, no UA allowed. EE, SCAG, DMG and Volo are in. Also, the rogue is swashbuckler.
>>
>>54932116
To create a magical item in my world you need personal investment. For example, there's a spell that lets you create a hanky full of sunlight, but all it takes as a material component is a moment of true happiness.
You'll find that Artíficers will be hard pressed to part with their creations, when every one has stakes like that.
>>
>>54934535
Ironically, a Rogue or a Monk.

But your team is deffo in need of a Paladin, which works out well because they are a good bit MAD
>>
>>54932116
The master blacksmiths and armourers do, but it takes a true grandmaster to pull off a +1, and it basically happens when the creation is so good that it surpasses the realm of the possible and becomes impossible by normal means, and tends to involve combining that skill with rare materials.

Even then, as rare as it is to get +1 gear that way, it's even rarer to get +2, to the point that only a mere handful of them exist. A +3 you could probably trade for entire kingdoms, every one in existence is known by its appearance and name.
>>
>>54934701
>A +3 you could probably trade for entire kingdoms, every one in existence is known by its appearance and name.

>+3 dagger
>"it deals as much damage as hitting someone with a sword, m'lord!"
>"I WANT THIS, HERE HAVE MY KINGDOM!"
>>
>>54934701
It's rarely the +3 that makes it valuable, though. I think it's usually the history and the associated power that comes with most +3s.
>>
>>54934727
It's the fame, anon, and the association that comes from you having it. Not the +3 part, the +3 is just how rare it is comparatively.
>>
>>54934701
Like adventurers are superhuman so would be that blacksmith. Superhuman at blacksmithing. Not mundane by definition.
>>
>>54934509
I guess the easiest answer would be that this is only a problem in places with a depth of 110 feet or less. That's the maximum depth a control water spell will affect, so if the water is deeper than that, the ship stays afloat, even if it might rock a lot as the water level drops.
>>
File: CXMDfU0WMAANc6q.png (350KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
CXMDfU0WMAANc6q.png
350KB, 600x849px
How would you build a Hexblade Bladelock/Sword or Valor Bard?
>>
>>54934608
If it had good ideas then it wouldn't have sucked
>>
>>54934766
What if they do it on the front end of the boat and tip it over? That's a 100 ft sheer unbalanced drop
>>
>>54934923
You can have a mix of good and bad ideas.

I don't think this is a difficult concept to grasp.
>>
File: Despair but also despair.jpg (558KB, 1114x1270px) Image search: [Google]
Despair but also despair.jpg
558KB, 1114x1270px
>The game gets cancelled
Is there a worse feeling?
>>
>>54934931
And 4e had no good ideas
>>
>>54934959
You are allowed to have that opinion 2 more times, after that, you need to take a short or long rest before you can have it again.
>>
>>54934948
>tfw I'm actually relieved when games get cancelled
I-is there something wrong with me
>>
>>54934948
It's the absolute worst. Especially when I look forward to the session every other week. I need to find a group of people who actually want to play the game. It gets tiring having to pull teeth to get people to show up.
>>
>>54934840
With the understanding that swords still aren't his plan A and spells have undeniable advantages.
>>
>>54934995
Keeping that in mind.
>>
>>54934840
By going one level in Storm Sorcerer 19 in Lore bard, with Variant Human, Warcaster.

Get your elemental weapon, game on, charge into battle 40 feet, enemy tries to run away from your guardians, slam him with booming Blade, enemy tries to take you down, cast Shield, still hits, concentrations are made with proficiency and advantage, then it's your turn, cast dissonant Whispers, booming Blade him as an Oops, move your 40 feet onto the next guy.
Oh but a Caster is trying to fuck with your blade dancing. Good thing your other magical secrets is counterspell
>>
If an Aarakocra becomes a 18th level sorcerer with phoenix origin, what happens with his fly speed?
Race gives him 50ft with a running start but no hover, class gives him 40ft with no need for a running start as well as gives him hover.

Does he get just 50ft, no run plus hover, does it stack to 90ft or get a 10-20ft bonus, or even yet becomes a different source of flight, having both winged 50ft/no hover as well as 40ft/hover?
>>
>>54935105
Wouldn't stack but I imagine you could choose to use either in different circumstances.
>>
>>54935105
You have a flight speed of 40 feet with no running start and hover, and a fly speed of 50 feet with running start and no hover.

Should you drop and fall from your flying speed you'll not fall after all because of hover, but your movement speed won't stack
>>
An illusion wizard can use his action to change the nature of any illusion spell right? So he should be able to summon more duplicates for mirror image when he goes down to 1 duplicate. What does /5eg/ think?
>>
>>54935163
Definitely no, you could change the duplicates to look like someone else though.
>>
>>54934983
Either A: You don't like some aspect of the game either a player the gm or the game itself and haven't decided to sort out the issues yet
B: You have some kind of social anxiety and haven't gotten used to your groups yet
C: You're lazy and can't commit to a schedule

If it's A or B then no, you just need to speak up more. If it's C then yes you're a dick.
>>
Rolled 14 18 10 12 11 12 for stats. Wanna combat war cleric. We're starting level 5

18 on wis, 14 on str. Variant human, war caster feat @ 1, bump up wis and str to 20/16 at 4.

is that optimal for war cleric?
>>
What's a good magic item for moon druid?
>>
Good d&d podcasts? Found "D&d is for Nerds" and "Bards and Nobles" in the other thread, looking for more to steal shit from.
>>
>>54932043
> "I take the Attack Action against the guard. I rolled a 20. What do you mean how do I attack him?"

Captcha: Mondego only
>>
>>54935223
>>54935223
Insignia of Claws
>>
>>54932116
Druid and Monk is game breaking?
>>
>>54935366
He's already got that. What else?
>>
>>54933951
If it's too good they'll just buy a dozen pistols, fire them all in combat and reload after.
>>
>>54935401
Animate shield
>>
Has anyone got concept art for a Paladin gravedigger?
>>
>>54935880
Some sort of...
Shovel Knight
>>
>>54935890
Oh shit yeah, I forgot that was a thing
>>
>>54935913
I'm sure you can find realistic fan art of shovel knight sonewhere
>>
What are some good weapons to manifest as a bladelock? I'm thinking the longsword, spear?
>>
>>54935924
He's a little bit too juggernauty, I was hoping to find something more like a gothy country kid who dargnabbit gotta get them cwazy grave bogglers back into the dirt where's raight an' propah
>>
>>54935947
Warhammer, greatsword, glaive? Anything else?
>>
>>54935947
frying pan. extra spiky.
>>
>>54935972
I mean paladins are normally very juggernaughty, but good luck with yor search
>>
>>54931394
is DND BEYOND officially out now? I thought they had limited us to using only basic rules but the character builder is still shit, one subclass per class? do they really think I will pay another $20 for digital tools version of a book I already bought? fuck you wizards
>>
Are scorching ray and hold person good additions to the warlock spell arsenal?
>>
>>54936025
Hold person is usually very good
>>
>>54935456
And thats why I want them to cost a ton, pluss the negatives from it exploding in your face (if the roll lands between 1 and 7, might make it smaller.) and if you actually give your players a bag of holding early like a tool, the problem of having to to put away and pick out new guns when they're fired.
>>
>have six levels of sorc
>now going full into bladelock
>UA invocations are allowed

Am I okay or is this character going to get outpaced hard?
>>
>>54936108
Really depends on who you are playing with, theres always the faggot who minmaxes everything so he can end combat in one turn.
>>
Two questions:

1) If casting Awaken on an animal causes them to be temporarily charmed, after which their disposition depends on how you treated them, can you use True Polymorph afterwards to have a friendly pet dragon?

2) Does casting Wish to replicate a lower-level spell require the character to have seen the spell and if so how would you go about observing use of Awaken?
>>
>>54936092
Negatives don't matter in this case. If it's still better than firing a bow, they'll load themselves with it. If it's worse, they'll just not use it.
Bag of Holding is unnecessary since belts are a thing.
The only real gate is the price.

You could just use the firearms in the DMG.
>>
>>54936133

Nobody's really minmaxing. I guess a better way of phrasing it is if I fucked my shit up by doing it the way I did it.
>>
>>54936092
Wristpocket!
This fantastical ring allows you to handly store away items you may need on a pinch. It works like a bag of holding, only solely for items that would fit on the palm of your hand
>>
>>54936145
Well good thing you pointed it out, exactly why I asked in the first place. tough belts don't really add anything when I point out lugging around enough guns, bullets and powder to effectively fire. And maybe I should add that without a late game thing, having more than one loaded gun isn't allowed?

>You could just use the firearms in the DMG.
The what in the who now?
>>
>>54936135
1) Yes and no. You can true polymorph a beast into a dragon of same or lesser CR, but it will be a person of it's own and not your pet. Imagine you are lifted from beasthood and gain sapience thanks to some guy, and you also feel strange compulsion to listen to whatever that guy tells you, but he isn't a dick about it. As the compulsive effect expires the guy also changes your form into a draconic one, for better or worse but without asking you for opinion.

2) I'd rule no, you can duplicate any sub-9th level spell effect despite never seeing it cast by anyone before.
>>
>>54935985
Helping or hurting?
>>
>>54936133
I wish min-maxing was more complicated in 5e than-
"I'm a Pali 2/Sorc X and smite every turn"
or
"I made a Moon Druid! Every combat I turn into a bear with infinite HP"
Or best of all
"I made a straight fighter with Crossbow Master and SS"

You don't even need to be a 9th level caster to be min-maxed in 5e. Back in my day...
>>
File: rtfb2.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
rtfb2.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>54936237
That quaint old book that dungeon masters ought to read to have some guidance in their games, the Dungeon Master's Guide.
Funny thing about books, they usually come with an Index at the end so if you were searching, for example, for rules related to firearms, you could search "firearms" there and see at which page they talk about it.
>>
>>54933951
If you're looking for more/different downsides, historically flintlock pistols were pretty short-range and had bad accuracy due to a lack of rifling in the barrel. They were prone to misfires, and would fail to fire if the powder became damp at all.
They also required frequent cleaning due to the black powder fouling the barrel with each shot, making it more difficult to muzzle-load.
>>
>>54936304
oh well duh.

Well this saved me a ton of trouble of just doing everything by hand.
>>
>>54936345
Reading the book does that. Very common, helpful advice
>>
>>54936381
Yeah, now I know. Thanks.
>>
>>54936431
And knowing is half the battle
>>
Do the pactlock weapons have weight? Or not really?
>>
>>54936436
Yes, they're really real weapons but you don't actually have to carry them outside combat.
>>
>>54932348
Shove is your strength against their str or dex. Escape is your str or dex against their strength or an escape DC. So shoving is harder for some matchups.
>>
For ease of convenience, whats a good conversion rate for real word money and gold? To make it easier to understand what I'm giving them.

Is 2 gold pieces equivalent of 200 dollars or...?
>>
What are your favorite 1st-level spells?
>>
>>54936442
Thanks for that. So you spend an action manifesting a weapon but how long does your weapon actually exist for? Indefinitely?
>>
>>54936618
Yeah, it's just there. It's like a familiar, just as a weapon.
>>
>>54936565
Real world and D&D economy are not compatible. 2 gold pieces is equivalent of 50 chickens, two goats or less than half a pound of salt.
>>
>>54936605
Shield, Absorb Elements, Healing Word are all really nice defensive tools

Longstrider is great on any spellsword/magic knight archetype
>>
>>54936605
>1st-level spells
Armor of Agathys is fucking sweet. Cast it, move away from a bunch of goblins, watch several of them commit suicide by cop while hoping their damage rolls are low
Plus, it scales really well. like REALLY well.
>>
>>54936605
Bless is extremely good in that you can just keep casting it throughout your adventure as a 1st level spell - even when you start getting higher level spell slots - and it'll always be an incredible use of your resources.
>>
>>54936565
Medieval economy was very different from real world economy, and D&D's economy (while wonky in a lot of places) is ultimately based on lists of medieval prices for things.

Bread and beer are dirt cheap several-times-per-day commodities even for a farmer, but a looking glass will set him back many months of pay.
>>
>>54936769
Errr "modern world economy." I'm (perhaps unfortunately) not implying that the medieval period never happened, despite the fact that that would actually be, like, really funny.
>>
>>54936729
Shame it's cleric/paladin only
>>
>>54936667
>>54936769
>>54936806
How would you say a peasants monthly pay looks in dnd gold.
It might size the reasonable amount of gold I can freely hand out.

I've been thinking what is appropriate for a medium low risk thing to be 2-5 gold or maybe the addition of favors and IOU's.

Lets take a classic, kill a bunch of goblins that have been killing your/your farmers chickens. Now everyone can kill a goblin if they can lift something sharp or weapon-ish enough, but the adventurers are here conveniently and so get the job. How do you size up rewards for general adventuring work?
>>
File: tom-i-dzherri_68500322_orig_.jpg (51KB, 588x351px) Image search: [Google]
tom-i-dzherri_68500322_orig_.jpg
51KB, 588x351px
>player sends you a homebrew class
>Saving Throw Proficiencies: Dexterity, Wisdom
>>
>>54936844
Having all classes get one "good" save and one "bad" save seems like a shitty bandaid solution for not bothering to make all saves useful in the first place.
>Oh fug we got 6 saves but only 3 of them do anything
>I know what we can do!
>>
File: 161 - MBvcORO.jpg (80KB, 961x535px) Image search: [Google]
161 - MBvcORO.jpg
80KB, 961x535px
>>54936844
ah, minmaxers
>>
>>54936899

I think it's still better than having saving throws be a whole separate mechanic.
>>
>>54936899
What are some examples of Int saves? How could DMs better incorporate Int saves into gameplay to make Int proficiency more useful?

The only one I can think of is "A sphinx ambushes you! She tells you a riddle - There are two sisters: one gives birth to the other and she, in turn, gives birth to the first. What are they? - and demands an answer immediately or she will attack. Int saving throw!"
>>
>>54936899
All saves are useful, it's just that some are more or less frequent.

Charisma saves for example are quite frequent in Save or Die effects like Magic Jar or Plane Shift (grab magic jar as a Bard and shit gets real honky) , while Inteligence saves sure are nice when you have a good DM that knows how to weave illusions into a story in and out of the theater of the mind
>>
>>54936940
Saves against Illusion effects, or against Psionics. Feeblemind is a good example.

There are also some saving throws that let the player choose between strength or dexterity that should apply to Inteligence or wisdom
>>
>>54936920
It's still shitty because it creates noob-traps like Resilient (INT) or something, because INT is only useful if you're a wizard and there are only 3 spells in the entire game that require an INT save. Granted those spells are pretty rough if you don't save against them but if I have a choice between Resilient (WIS) or (INT), that should actually be a choice, not whatever the fuck it is we have now.
>>
>>54931511

You could impose disadvantage on the saving throw I guess.
>>
>>54936971
You think it would be better if you rolled a generalized roll with levels as +'s?
>>
>>54936605

I love grease. Getting a group of enemies prone and ready to be whacked by our melees is amazing.
>>
>>54936565
As other anons have said, it's a false equivalence to convert medieval fantasy currency to real modern currency. All you can do is explain the prices of things and the typical income of different ki ds of people. Traditionally a common unskilled laborer earns about 1sp a day. Many peasants have little or no contact with coin even though they conduct several gp worth of barter.
>>
>>54936899
>>54936940
They could each only have primary-stat save but then some people would get fucked.
>>
>>54937069
I don't know what that means. I'm not arguing against the way saves work mechanically, i'm arguing about how saves are spread out completely unevenly for no perceivable reason. Like, look at this:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?760152-5e-List-of-spells-by-save

>14 CHA saves
>8 STR saves
>27 CON saves
>3 INT saves
>FORTY-THREE DEX SAVES
>FORTY WIS SAVES

The worst offenders are WIS vs. INT. A bunch of those WIS saves are illusions, and you know how you see through illusions? By making an INT check. So give me one good reason why all illusion saves shouldn't be INT.
>>
>>54937180
there are no good reasons, it's simply bad design
>>
>>54937180
You could even simplify that with a houserule: X school of magic uses Y saves. That's it. Other shit like maneuevers could be simple competitive rolling. Str check vs. Str saves.
>>
>>54936841
A unskilled labourer makes 2SP a day, so 1SP is about 20-30 dollaridoos.
You can base your economy off that.
>>
>New guy joins
>Has a hard time in combat, try to help him
>6 months later
>Still has no clue what to do in combat, will just cast spells that do nothing for the situation or things like cast a AoE spell on one enemy when there are 3 allies in range of the AoE
How do people not learn?
>>
>>54937180
just need a little blast from the past. combine con+str into fortitude. CHA+INT+WIS into will and leave dex as it is as reflex. 5e really fooked up saving throws
>>
Need some help /tg/
Made a CG Elf Druid. Thinking of having him focus on becoming more powerful so that he can protect nature. I eventually want to corrupt this ideal to the point where he feels he is justified in committing genocide on humanity, orks, goblins... essentially anyone he deems not in tune with nature.

What is the best way to walk the path of global genocide, and restore the natural order?
>>
>>54937493
well that seems rather unchaotic of you. should have gone LG.
>>
Since we care about Inteligence now, can we talk about a small subsistem of mine?

I'm trying to work with all the "Lore books" and books on "science and magic" that the Wizard and the Bard pick up on their way, and trying to find a way to make them useful.

I thought about playing with proficiency die, in a way like how Bardic Inspiration works. Like, say they want to spend a whole day researching into the books material to figure out information about, say Blood Poisoning, and they happen to do have a book about blood diseases written by a wizard that had a proficiency bonus of +3.

I'd make it so "When spending a day researching into the relevant material, you may add the owner's proficiency die to your Investigation roll, and add to the result", which in this case, would be 1d6.
If they wanted to say, study the history of an archmage looking for clues on why magic doesn't work in a certain country, and had his personal diaries on them, they could roll as much as a d12

I'm just worried about like, why would a level 17 necromancer plausibly gain a 1d6 research bonus just because he's got a copy of Gray's Anatomy? Maybe I should only allow this for people who are unproficient with a certain knowledge branch, or have a proficiency bonus equal or less than the die?
>>
>>54937493
Making a character who will inevitably conflict with the party is a bad idea. Planning out a character arc in advance rather than reacting organically to the story is also a bad idea. This is a bad idea on at least two levels.
>>
>>54937585
that has traditionally been called 'circumstance'
>>
>>54937555
Character was loosely based off of Rambo First Blood. Dude living in the forest, and doesn't really respect the laws of man because out in the forest, he is the law.
>>
>>54937615
when he feels like it, but not all the time or he'd be lawful.
>>
>>54932459
Yes your character is actually falling. You don't get to selectively apply the spell; it slows your fall speed - which is fine if you're talking about something under 60 feet, not fine if you're talking about something over 60 feet. Realistically I don't imagine this is going to come up that much anyways.

>>54932637
Paladins aren't sworn to the gods. And generally you're not FROM raveloft; you're pulled there at the behest of the dark powers. Presumably the dark powers don't want to strip their toys of their abilities, as that's no fun. So you still have the connection to your god - it just might be more distant, or they might not be able to watch over you as much.
>>
>>54937180
Though in defense of rarity, if you fail a dex save it's just 'oh you take full damage rather than half', at worse a full on 'you're restrained'
Same with Wis, might just be 1d4+Disadvantage on next attack from Viscious Mockery (though Hold Person really sucks to fail)

If you fail an int save you're either stunned (Illithid), Insta-killed (Little mind brain head guys), or auto-lose an encounter (Phantasmal Force bag around their head full of water, chain and bind them, etc)
>>
>>54937585
Another way you could think about it, and it's also the way the rules tend to lean towards, even though they are not necessarily the most fun, is that you shorten the length of time necessary to "craft information". It's like how a wizard takes half the time to copy scrolls of his school, or more smith's take half the time to craft plate.
>>
>>54932685
Another anon posted a thread or few ago that he made STR 2x damage mod, instead of the normal calculation of 1x like DEX. Dex is a far more versatile stat, so he felt it was fair. That might help you.
>>
File: Green-headed_Tanager_Ubatuba.jpg (1MB, 2312x1541px) Image search: [Google]
Green-headed_Tanager_Ubatuba.jpg
1MB, 2312x1541px
Thank god for banded accuracy. I like to make a lot of environmentally complex encounters and it's really really hard to judge how that actually impacts the difficulty level of the encounter. If things ranges weren't kept narrow I'd certainly TPK by accident by now.
>>
>>54937615
See, if you had made a character with the parts of John Rambo that made sense (a broken man who hates his experiences in the woods but can't escape them because he has lost all ability to socialize like a normal person) it'd result in a different character entirely.
>>
Should I play Mountain Dwarf Abjurator (14 INT version not 8 INT meme version) and take heavily armor feat at level 4?
>>
>>54937804

Also, Rambo would be a martial, not a Druid.

Almost certainly a Ranger/Rogue multiclass.
>>
>>54937807
Shouldn't your int be higher?
>>
>>54937828
Why not straight ranger?

>>54937728
Genuine praise or argument-starter bait? You decide!
>>
>>54937829
Dwarves doesn't have INT bonus. 15 is the highest they can get at chargen.
>>
>>54937865
Isn't that still better than 14, some good feats give you +1 int
>>
>>54937877
1) No, not until level 4.
2) Only 3 feats from PHB give you +1 INT and none of them are "good".
>>
>>54937848
>Why not straight ranger?

His stealth and ability to ambush foes seems too significant to NOT give him Sneak Attack.

I'm thinking specifically of "First Blood," btw, "Rambo: First Blood Part II" would be closer to a pure Ranger or maybe a Ranger/Barbarian
>>
>>54937946
>stealth
on ranger skill list
>first blood
Natural Explorer:
-You have advantage on initiative rolls.
-On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
>>
>>54937972
>something something sneak attack makes sense in real life, mooks have enough HP to make it necessary, and favored enemy isn't a thing
Rambo is a straight-up ranger.
>>
>>54937807
Yes that would be effective and fun as long as you take GFB/BB cantrips and avoid polar save spells until you get higher levels.
>>
>>54937848
I've had a ranger character before. Wanted to try something new.
>>
>>54937972

Damb i forgot about favored enemy

Maybe 1 level of Barb just for unarmored defense, because if it's a Rambo movie, that shirt comes off at some point
>>
>>54938017
I meant "why wouldn't actual Rambo be a straight ranger." I am not questioning your choice of character.
>>
>>54937240
Maybe they need to play a melee character with low int, that way they don't even need to roleplay
>>
>>54937585
If you're that worried about it, have a max DC that can be achieved with help from the book. If your unassisted result is higher than that, you've learned all the book can teach.
>>
Summarized list of everything they originally did wrong in 5e
>Eldritch Blast
>Warlocks as Cha instead of Int
>Rangers
>Feats
>PHB very poorly structured
>Over-use of Wis, Cha, Dex skills and saves. Underuse of Int.
>B/S/P weapons mean next to nothing
>Sorcerers underdeveloped
>>
>>54938232
BUt the problem is he can't do combat
>>
New thread, nigs

>>54938267

>>54938267

>>54938267
>>
I'm think of making a V. Human Str valor bard, if i take magic initiate for BB and GFB can i only cast them 1/day or does that only apply to the first level spell?
>>
>>54938306
Those are cantrips. You can cast as much as you want.
>>
>>54938378
Oh sweet, thanks man
>>
>>54938251
>opinion
>opinion
>fair
>optional rule
>opinion
>by design
>fair
>opnion
>>
>>54938251
Literally why would warlocks be Int, they're shortsighted retards by design.

>i could study hard to get magic
>or just suck some god's dick
>nah, I'll sell my soul for 2 spell slots
>>
>>54938589
>What is Faust, as the archetypical character who makes a pact.
>>
>>54938647
Warlocks are like the third stringers, they're worthless outside their pact. They're nobodies. Discount souls.
>>
>>54932828
If a ship is just sitting on the water, parting the water is going to move the ship too, isn't it?
>>
>>54936841
the 5e DMG rules for treasure hoards are based on the monster's challenge rating, but they probably include some general common-sense ideas about that sort of creatures those monsters could've been murdering and looting, or stealing from, or what-have-you.

Just look it up in the DMG.
>>
>>54936899
All classes have 2 saves but some classes have a better set of saves than others.
>>
>>54937180
>>54937197
The saves are not, and were never, meant to be equally good or equally frequent.
>>
File: thinking.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>54931394
I have a simple question. Do peasant houses and shops have windows?
>>
>>54940405
Depends on the wealth of the place. Peasants probably have a hole cut in the window of their shack if they're very poor.

Shops are more likely to have windows, but remember that glass is very expensive. So the windows probably have a direct correlation to either shop wealth or how willing the owner is to spend money.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.