[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you prepare battle maps /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 33x21 Crash Site.png (731KB, 1379x905px) Image search: [Google]
33x21 Crash Site.png
731KB, 1379x905px
How do you prepare battle maps /tg/?
>>
>battlemaps
>not theater of the mind

what is this, 4e?
>>
>>54928920
I hope so, the grid based tactical combat made fighting fun.
>>
>>54928093

I soak them in a solution of vinegar and either tea or used coffee grounds for a few hours on game day, before people show up.
>>
>>54928093
I see you included Idiot Crater on your map. Nice.
>>
File: 1412881668532.jpg (22KB, 358x392px) Image search: [Google]
1412881668532.jpg
22KB, 358x392px
>>54928093
I use a dry erase board with a grid on it, and I improvise with a dry erase marker.

>>54928920
Why yes, I do run 4e.

>>54928936
It IS fun. My players and I have been having a blast for YEARS. I don't see us switching to 5 any time soon.
>>
>>54928920
>Wait, how far away am I, again?
>>
>>54931223

it's called using your fucking words anon, just because your retarded ass needs to see a grid in order to imagine spacing and position doesn't mean we're all as mentally deficient as you are.
>>
File: grand.png (3MB, 3072x2172px) Image search: [Google]
grand.png
3MB, 3072x2172px
>>54928093
pic is the first map. Second one is too big to post on 4chan or any of the free image hosting sites I know of that didn't close down earlier this year.

For the first one (medium/small sized container ship)

1.) I went out searching for what I came to learn was called a "general layout and capacity plan" for the kind of ship they would be on.

2.) Spent time going from metric to pixels, then pixels to imperial so that I could put a 5 foot line on the map for reference. (Mutant's and Masterminds 3e uses imperial instead of metric.)

3.) put the map into Roll20

4.) spent a few hours working on the settings in roll20 to in order to end up with a grid of squares that registered as 2.5 feet (2'6") on each side and were in scale so that 2 of them were as tall as the "this is 5 feet" line I'd placed on the map.

5.) set up fog of war

For the second one (an industrial area)

1.) searched around on google for a place that looked right.

2.) grabbed Google Earth Pro and Microsoft ICE

2.) spent a while trying to figure out how to get GEP to display areas without pseudo 3d for things forther from the center of the display, and then how to take good pictures of areas I was looking at.

3.) took satellite view images of the area.

4.) used MS ICE to stitch the images together into a larger one

5.) spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to put a scale on the resulting map

6.) spent more time trying to adjust settings in roll20 until the square grip was both the right size and read as the correct distances. (If anyone is a master of customizing map grids in roll20 please talk to me, none of the instructions I've helped with making custom grids for maps that weren't drawn/made with them in a timely fashion, and my players who have GM'd more games in roll20 then I've even played are a bit at a loss for how to make the process less one of endless trial and error)

7.) didn't bother with fog of war this time.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.