[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language Barrier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1422209405481.png (791KB, 800x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1422209405481.png
791KB, 800x1071px
Has anyone here every played games with someone who their language wasn't the same language as the whole group?
>>
>>54927811

Yes actually, it ended up being hilarious, as we made a point in 5e to use the multiple "Common" languages for humans as well so not everyone spoke "english". So one of the players was an Eastern Samurai kinda character, and he had like 4 languages, but none of which the rest of the party had nor understood.

it led to alot of Charades at the table.
>>
>>54927811
Wait, as in a player or a character?

Right now there are two player characters in the party I DM for who don't have a complete grasp of English. One is a self-taught not!Egyptian who has frequent misunderstandings the NPC elf she seduced who also taught herself English. It gets even funnier when they're in bed. They're both exiles from their homelands and they both enjoy bashing the natives. The second character is a Selkie who managed to get some lessons from a cloister of monks before setting off inland. His speech is constantly broken and he has to use charades to portray his point at times. Another player character realized they both speak a dialect of fish-speak and was surprised to find he was pretty eloquent in his native tongue.
>>
>>54927811
I always find it interesting if someone is raised in small enclave, like a city-state or a reservation, within a larger country. its more interesting than someone from a faraway land.

like the odds of someone in the smaller location not knowing the main language are slim but not zero, while the person from the larger country knowing the other language isn't zero either. so seeing two people who should but can't communicate with each other makes for really creative interactions and in-depth character arcs.
>>
>>54927811
IRL or in character?
>>
I'm French and I've played almost exclusively with English-speakers over IRC for a decade. If I ever played over voice chat, it might be a bit more difficult. When speaking or listening to English, I need to focus a tiny bit more compared to French. Also, I can't just scroll up and reread sentences when speaking over voice chat.
>>
File: 1345417556876.gif (424KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1345417556876.gif
424KB, 320x180px
>>54927811
>Has anyone here every played games with someone who their language wasn't the same language as the whole group?
Thats impossible.
Everyone understands the language of violence.
>>
>>54934358
Not everyone play as murderhobo group tho.
>>
Yes. It was rather entertaining. They had to roll each time they wanted to say something.
>>
>>54927811
Had a player whose first language wasn't english. Tabletop RPGs are apparently rare in whatever eastern european hole he was froim, so he REALLY wanted to play.
He had a good character. He roleplayed. He knew the rules, but didn't rules-lawyer. As long as he got to play with a half-decent group, it was okay.
The only downside was that I needed to explain idioms to him sometimes, and he worked odd hours because eastern europe.
>>
>>54927811
I was the one on Roll20. Gave my dwarven blacksmith quite a touch.
>>
File: Alucard.png (327KB, 565x428px) Image search: [Google]
Alucard.png
327KB, 565x428px
>>54927915
>>54930768

>Decide to make Shamanic outlander type Ranger
>Playing beastmaster, except I fluffed the pet as a "spirit animal" that takes corporeal form out of my body for the effect
>Following party around as we go out on a quest to eaves drop on a shady deal
>As the party is inside trying to listen, I'm outside standing watch
>Suddenly, a bunch of bandits crawls out of fucking nowhere and approach me
>Bandit: "Alright, mate, hand over the goods that I KNOW you have, and nobody has to get hurt."
>Tilt head
>"Ooga baaga Chakka?"
>Player 2, used to dealing with my usual shenanigans, without skipping a beat "Oh my fucking god, Anon, give me your goddamn chara-What the fuck, you speak six different languages and not a SINGLE one of them is common?!"
>Bandit was an orc, thought I was mocking him
>We enter into an easily avoidable battle that nearly wipes out the party because the shady guys and the deal makers ALSO got in on trying to murder everyone for being witnesses.

And that's the story of why Player 2 had to reroll their rogue character at level 1 and hates me forever.

Bonus side-story
>Hit level 3
>Finally get my pet
>Enter into first battle
>Activate my spirit animal by shouting PERSONA
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.