[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: everything is wrong.png (74KB, 233x207px) Image search: [Google]
everything is wrong.png
74KB, 233x207px
Riddle me this /tg/ what is the best type of crunch?
>>
>>54923105
Efficient crunch that is designed for the tone and setting of game
>>
>>54923159
*The game
>>
>>54923105
The best kind is the kind your group likes.
Bonus points for upsetting /tg/ over enjoying it.
>>
File: crunch-berries.jpg (80KB, 333x480px) Image search: [Google]
crunch-berries.jpg
80KB, 333x480px
>>
>>54923159
>>54923171

/thread

Personally, I'd add mechanical elegance onto that, but while it's always awesome to see elegant mechanics they aren't really necessary design wise.

Arbitrary mechanics that exist for pattern completion or for no reason at all are the worst, and you see them too damn much. Rules and clunk that adds nothing to the premise and only seems to exist because the developer included it without considering what place it actually had in the system as a whole.
>>
>>54923105
The crunch of your enemies' bones as you crush them.

The crunch of the leaves and twigs beneath their fleeing boots as you drive them before you.

I am not clever enough to think of a crunch joke for hearing the lamentations of their women...
>>
File: c-nest-cru_2.jpg (25KB, 400x160px) Image search: [Google]
c-nest-cru_2.jpg
25KB, 400x160px
>>54923105
>>
>>54923105
The one that fulfills its purpose in an elegant manner.
>>
>>54923105
The kind that requires a single roll, or pool of rolls per turn.
>>
>>54923105
Crunch separated from the fluff so the latter is easily refluffed
>>
>>54925600

/thread
>>
>>54932751
/thread
>>
>>54932648

This is GURPs-tier crunch. Complete shit. Why would you even post this?
>>
>>54925641
>>54936328
>>54936340

/thread
>>
>>54936356
>>54936340
>>54936328
>>54925641
/thread
>>
>>54925641
You can't post "/thread" and then add your own comments.
>>
>>54938150

Why not? They acknowledged the above posts nailed it, and their comments basically acknowledged that everything else would be personal preference of beyond what was really necessary.
>>
>>54923159
>>54932751
>>54932779
Except this kind of thinking is what has given us the d20 clones. Attempts to try and simplify and streamline everything.
I am not saying they have succeeded in this, just that that is clearly the intention in modern game design.

Fuck elegance.

I like crunch that actually works and is based on an understanding of probability, even if that means you end up having to do some maths. Maths is not hard and fuck anyone who complains because they have to add more than two numbers together or remember more than one thing at a time.

I am sick of this PC gamer mentality that says you should be able to just throw a dice and play without ever having to actually engage your brain.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.