[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should some rolls made by the PC be hidden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ad95pnZ_700b.jpg (38KB, 700x599px) Image search: [Google]
ad95pnZ_700b.jpg
38KB, 700x599px
I pondered over this matter for a long time now and I have come to ask your opinions on it.

Should some rolls (made by the PCs) be rolled by the GM in order for the result to be hidden from the player ?

Now I'm not suggesting this to be done in all types of games or all situations but hear me out : in an atmospheric/horror game, in the context of an enigma or while the players investigate a crime or mystery, wouldn't it be more interesting to have the subjective rolls hidden from the PCs ?

i.e.
>PC is trying to decypher an unknown language
>PC is trying to find out if someone is lying
>PC is looking for an object in a room

If those were rolled behind the GM's screen, the PC would have no way of telling if he succeeded and therefore is right or if he failed and is mistaken, which prevents metagame and adds to the atmosphere of the game.

What do you think about it ? I feel like it could be frustrating for the players if you did this too often or that it could lead them on what action actually brings them closer to the solution/danger if you do it only at precise moments when the result matters.
>>
Just do it every time on checks where success/failure isn't obvious. If your system has passive skills, also occasionally pause for a moment and roll absolutely nothing to avoid the Xenogears/Skies of Arcadia effect.
>>
>>54922289
Yes.

Ideally, all rolls would be made by the GM in secret, at least for immersion and player/character knowledge disconnect. But players want to roll dice.
>>
>>54922289
If knowing result would make roll meaningless (pretty much all checks to gather information), you should roll in secret. Exception is when it is not important, like more lighthearted or action-focused games.
>>
>>54922477
>all rolls

No reason to hide combat rolls, they're gonna see if their sword hits.
>>
>>54922289
>Should some rolls (made by the PCs) be rolled by the GM in order for the result to be hidden from the player ?
Unless you can be absolutely 100% sure that none of your players are going to metagame, absolutely.
>>
>>54922367
>>54922477
>>54922486
>>54922494
>>54922547
Alright so if it shouold be the case, do YOU do it ? In what case ? How did the players react ?
>>
>>54922613
>do YOU do it?
All the time
>In what case?
Most of the time when players roll for whether they see something, whether they think someone is lying, things like that.
>How did the players react?
Why SHOULD they react? Sometimes they try to roll perception(for instance) without me asking for it and need to be reminded that the GM is the one who makes those rolls, but no-one has ever gotten upset about it or anything.
>>
>>54922613
Like I said, I do it by default in every case where non-obvious failure is a thing (so sometimes up to and including combat in cases like ranged combat in poor visibility or amorphous/heavily armored monsters.)
I've never had a player mind, because apart from special encounters like those where they still have minis to fidget and feel useful, non-obvious results tautologically mean the encounter isn't life and death yet.
>>
I think it's good but there are games in which doesn't work with the dice mechanics, like games with meta-currency that grant rerolls.
>>
>>54922749
Also noting that a blown perception roll is more often a roleplaying opportunity than a combat disadvantage.
My players are probably going to check most rooms for traps, but most rooms are not going to be trapped; sometimes rolling a 2 means they missed one, but sometimes rolling a 2 means something like in a modern setting mistaking a fire sprinkler head for a Halon nozzle.
>>
>>54922289
Maybe, but don't go full retard. Don't do it for move silently, unless the PC is deaf.
>>
>>54922613
I do when it's important to maintain the separation, such as for finding stuff that's hidden, and for NPC rolls.
>>
>>54922289
Obviously anything to do with hidden knowledge.

Otherwise, everyone should roll everything out in the open.
>>
>>54922289

You're talking about D&D, aren't you?
Stealth, Insight/Sense Motive and perception checks are all, by default, hidden.
This has always been the case.
>>
>>54922289

It's a suresign of a failure of a game.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.