[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Movie mtg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: karnsilvergolem.jpg (54KB, 234x310px) Image search: [Google]
karnsilvergolem.jpg
54KB, 234x310px
I finally realize why we can't have an MTG movie
https://youtu.be/QxLjPO3gdvE
You have so many old stories so many characters with his own stories, a lot of planes, a lot of supposed "main characters"

You can't fit those stories in 3 movies, or better said, Hollywood can't make it...
Also it doesn't help that it would be like somehuge cinematic universe.

Which would be the point yo start so you need to know nothing?
>>
They're making a movie out of Monster Hunter, a video game franchise that focuses on a no-name hunter who kills monsters for money.
Hollywood is making it about monsters coming into the real world via magical portals and wreaking havoc, and the average joe protagonist actually is actually the long lost descendant of an ancient hero.
Do you really think your average Hollywood director gives a shit about source material when it comes to making movies?
>>
>>54912289

I imagine that any MTG movie would be awful like the Mortal Kombat sequels.
>>
>>54912346
So are you suggesting a Mtg movie where planes walkers and monsters travel to earth so it get infested with monsters while Jace work with earthling army to fight against the mtg monsters and make a "transformer style movie"?
>>
>>54912289
You could maybe do an okay MTG movie with the older material.

Newer stuff is just the Jace-vengers vs villain of the week
>>
>>54912402
Where do you start with the old material?
Because later it get super crowded with so many planes walkers and planes.

Keep it focus on the start, maybe you can spread out so you make the Karen/mirrodin, and all the Crobax with weather light stuff, and all the characters and planes?
>>
>>54912289
You could probably make a movie out of the origin stories of each gatewatch member concerning the events that led to their spark igniting like the marvel movies, and have it be decent.
>>
https://youtu.be/lO7EqhvH9fE
>>
>>54912289
>I finally realize why we can't have an MTG movie
>You have so many old stories so many characters with his own stories, a lot of planes, a lot of supposed "main characters"
>You can't fit those stories in 3 movies, or better said, Hollywood can't make it...
>Also it doesn't help that it would be like somehuge cinematic universe.
All of your points apply just as much, if not more so, to comic book movies, but look how successful they've been.

>Which would be the point yo start so you need to know nothing?
I'm a bit of an MTG oldfag, so I would say The Brothers' War. Of course that wouldn't make any marketing sense for modern Magic, so unfortunately I don' think we'd ever get something like that. I think trying to start with any of the Gatewatch characters would be a mistake because I don't their origins would work very well in a typical feature length three act structure, as well as their origins not being relevant to the current sets.
I think the best way to approach it would be to have a protagonist that wants to be a mage of some sort, but struggling to find anybody that will take them as an apprentice. One day, a planeswalker arrives on the protagonists plane, bamfing in to existence right in front of them. This planeswalker could be a member of the gatewatch, likely Jace since he's kinda the posterboy. Having never seen magic like that before, the protagonist begs the 'walker to teach them. Initially resistant, the 'walker recognizes that the protagonist has a natural apptitude for magic, as well as possesing the spark. Beyond that, just follow the tried and true action/adventure beats. I would say wait until the second or third movie to have the protagonists spark ignite. You don't want to blow your load too early.
>>
File: Drake_Stone.jpg (93KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Drake_Stone.jpg
93KB, 300x450px
>>54912289
If they ever do it, it will be live-action and it will take place on Earth (America, probably New York or San Francisco).

It's a normal day for a male teen, a non-white friend, and a female friend at the mall- suddenly a portal opens and two wizards (planeswalkers) appear, apparently in conflict. The "bad guy" gets away and the teens help the now wounded "good" wizard.

The good wizard can't defeat the bad guy, who is threatening to destroy earth by summoning Phyrexians or Eldrazi or something stupid, so he trains the teens to awaken their spark (completely ignoring how rare sparks are or how they work).

After 30 minutes of Harry Potter-esque combat sequences and bad cgi, the world is saved and the movie ends with the new heroes exploring the multiverse during the roll-up credits.

The movie will probably just be called "Planeswalkers" as "The Gathering" was taken in 1977 and "Spark" was taken by a space monkey. Original Score by Christophe Beck because they couldn't get Zimmer or Desplat. Directed by (insert director who has never read a comic book, held a magic card, or watched a fantasy movie, ever, here).

We won't get a full-cgi movie with Idris Elba as Tahngarth and Andy Serkis as Squee.
>>
>>54912436
just make one about urza the tragic figure/hero/asshole
>>
Just make one that works great as a self-contained story.
First visit to Ravnica or Lorwyn could work as movies with no problem.
>>
>>54913236
Take 500 million dollars and make a cinematic universe out of it and you have a deal
>>
im glad there will never be a movie because it would be 100% gatewatch shit
>>
>>54914219
>there will never be a movie

>he doesn't know
>>
>>54912289

Well, you can set up the concept of planeswalkers with an intro scene. Like:

>"The universe is divided in planes, whole worlds full of adventure and magic, all isolated from eachother. The only beings who can travels through said planes, the ones to awaken their sparks, are the planeswalkers"

>Showcase a bit of legends planeswalkers and kind of show their sillhouettes, for example, show the silhouettes of Urza and his brother, Teferi, Yawgwoth, etc.

>Make the first movie's villain Ob Nixilis, because he's a well-known, is related to the new planeswalkers, but old enough so we can expand his backstory on later movies

>Make it about the people that he's oppressing looking for a way to fight againist him, maybe turn one of these resistance guys into a planeswalker

>Make that guy learn how to use magic and summoning with other planeswalkers, he comes back to his plane and big fight againist Ob Nixilis

>Ob Nixilis is thrown on another plane, but awakens to his own spark, leading to a sequel.

>The new planeswalker learns about the different magics from different planeswalkers around different planes (Think a bit like the movie Jumper, but with more "jumpers")

That's a basic structure. Make it simple so you can expand it easily later on.
>>
File: IMG_20170817_113629.jpg (94KB, 710x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170817_113629.jpg
94KB, 710x908px
>>54914694
> Beginning with narration
Otherwise that's fine. Ob seems like a pretty decently set up villain, and it helps make a separate storyline
>>
>>54915088

Anon, I'm just being realistic here. That's how big dumb blockbuster movies explain concepts to the audience, through opening narrations or scrolling texts. If they are slightly smarter, they make a support character explain it to the dumb protagonist.
>>
>>54912346
>They're making a movie out of Monster Hunter, a video game franchise that focuses on a no-name hunter who kills monsters for money.
>>Hollywood is making it about monsters coming into the real world via magical portals and wreaking havoc, and the average joe protagonist actually is actually the long lost descendant of an ancient hero.
>>
>>54912289
>>54913254
If you wanted to start with Urza, combine the Brothers War and Planeswalker books into one movie. Planeswalker already hops between time periods, so adding a third isn't so hard, and the first/second act reveal could be that Urza isn't jumping between periods of 20 or 30 years, but thousands. Have one acter for Mishra and Rat, draw parallels between Xantcha and Tawnos as far as cleaning up Urza's mess, and keep the nature of Urza's powers secret as long as possible.

This also sets up Karn, planeswalking, and any other movie you wanted to make about oldwalkers. Think a Homelands movie.

Alternatively, rework Weatherlight as an Avengers-esk series. First movie based around Garrard I guess, and halfway through he gets on the Weatherlight and they go to another plane. Before that the movie is one genre, and after it's another (horror action probably).

Ooooooor, make Agents of Artiface or the Ravnica Cycle into a movie. Ravnica/the good modern Magic book is a good a starting point as any.
>>
the jaceverse is perfectly setup for the eventual le epic MtG movie
>>
>>54912477
>>54913097
>>54913824
>>54918802

Pretty much what these Anons have said. It would have to be mapped out similar to the MCU in a way where they introduce individual characters by movie (Urza, Mishra, Gerrard, etc) and build up to major plot events (brothers war, creation of the weatherlight and crew, etc) all leading up to a huge Thanos-esque film feature (phyrexian war) etc.
Smooth out the rough edges and/or fill gaps/holes with exclusive Netflix shows revolving around other (minor) major characters whose storylines don't seem fit for major motion screen (like agents of shield, arrow, flash, etc)
But I feel like The Brothers War and it's surrounding story would be the best place to focus and work from there. Although I'm a keen to see an Ice Age set series but that's nostalgia talking.

On that note... M:TG MMORPG when?
>>
>>54918987
Interlace PW movies and plane movies like how Disney is switching between main and spinoff Star Wars movies.

>Alara with Ajani and Tezzeret as protaganists. Elspeth and Sarkhan as minor characters, and Bolas as the main bad guy.
>Agents of Artiface movie, reprising Tezzeret as main baddie and Bolas in the background. Jace's origin, with Lili's story hinted at.
>Ravnica Time! Focus on nonwalkers and really explore the plain. Either compress three books into one movie, or do a two parter and rewrite the second movie to tie into the next PW movie (Ravnica 2 being a sequel to both Ravnica 1 and someone else).
>Chandra and Gideon. Rewrite The Purifying Fire to fit into movie cannon. Jace is a bad guy now! (Or at least the antagonist.) Conclude of Zendikar with the Eye opening. Oh look, and people know who Sarkhan is. Maybe work Ajani in if he was popular.
>Zendikar. Take Teeth of Akoum and make it not shit. Old Nissa is a dick. Sorin is a dick. Anowan is a dick. Three Assholes and a Goblin: The Movie.
>Original Tamiyo movie, featuring Moon MILF and kitty cat. More cat, some Kamigawa, and pre-eatablishes Tamiyo for Innistrad.
>Innistrad! Tamiyo and Sorin in the background, but the plane is the story. Zombies and vampires and werewolves and angelic hosts don't need walkers!

Focus on making the individual movies good without being a slave to their okay-to-terrible source material, and make the planes cool as shit, flourishing and adding content where necessary.

Maybe cut Mirroden and New Phyrexia from the MtgCU, which sucks because Mirroden is cool as fuck. Or rework it so you don't need to spend the first half introcing all the pre-mending lore. Mirroden as a plane-only spinoff, or maybe as a standalone first movie to introduce the idea of going to other worlds.
>>
>>54920034
Oh right Netflix. Add a few Netflix shows to my idea here. >>54920072
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.