[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/4eg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: DMsKit-1.jpg (54KB, 256x363px) Image search: [Google]
DMsKit-1.jpg
54KB, 256x363px
Last thread: >>54881334

>>54904116
>4e is super better for monster stat blocks then any other version of D&D particularly after they figured out to have monster power grouped by usage.
>... And to have no monster stat block require you look at player options to figure out.
>(I am still pissed that I had to look up how to use Hobgoblin Iron Shadows and to learn that they basically just had a ranged multiattack and a teleport.
4e's enemy statblocks are unquestionably better.
I'm looking to use 4e/4e style statblocks (with a table to convert the numbers to the right number scale) in 5e.

Any suggestions on what monsters are fun?

Is there a good database of 4e monster powers for mix n matching to make new monsters?
>>
File: monsters.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
monsters.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54908830
>I'm looking to use 4e/4e style statblocks (with a table to convert the numbers to the right number scale) in 5e.

I don't know if this exists. You are better off using 5e's own math and taking abilities only, than converting stats from 4e imo.

>Is there a good database of 4e monster powers for mix n matching to make new monsters?

You mean aside from all the monsters on funin.space? I like to use pic related as inspiration sometimes.
>>
>>54909022
It exists in that I have an unfinished excel sheet that converts 4e level/role/modifier statblocks to 5e math. It currently comes pretty close, but a couple of my formulas are off. I intend to share the thing when it's done.

There's one for 3e, too, and the 3e one is a web app you can just paste a 3e statblock into and it shows you a 5e version of the same.

A 4e equivalent is a cakewalk in comparison to that. Just a matter of finishing up my spreadsheet.

5e's monster creation method is on the slow side compared to there one, so bringing roles back to 5e would be handy anyways.

Is there a way to browse funin.space rather than search by keyword, for when you're not sure what you're looking for?

Or are my only options to search do to look at one monster at a time, by name?

And yeah, i just meant a collection of monster powers, detached from the monsters, for a "pick three of them that fit what you want" monster building simplicity approach.
>>
>>54909022
Also handy. Saved. Thanks.
>>
>>54908830
>>54908830
>>54902001
Let's try for an example:
How do you do "high magic" under any name, in 4e?
>takes multiple casters.
>slow casting time.
>large scale "epic" effects, everything from crafting mythals, to cursing an entire race into becoming Drow, to calling down meteor strikes on nations - for some canon examples.

>>54902031
>"you're looking for gurps, not d&d"
Ideally, I'd be looking for "GURPS D&D", or "D&D Fantasy Hero", or "D&D Unisystem" with all of the D&D IP built out under the more simulationist system. I just haven't had the patience to sit down and convert everything myself, so when I want to play with D&D settings and IP, I run it in the most enjoyable of the D&D systems that had the IP statted out, which for me is 5e, and which was 3.x before, simply because the stuff was there (2e may be a better system than 3e, but it's missing a lot of stuff that I didn't want to convert myself, and for 5e someone else has already done most of the conversion work to fill the gaps left uncovered by wotc saving me time). One of these days I may decide to start building out d&d stuff in gurps, to be used with dungeon fantasy, and make the switch.
>>
>>54909276
>>takes multiple casters.
>>slow casting time.
>>large scale "epic" effects, everything from crafting mythals, to cursing an entire race into becoming Drow, to calling down meteor strikes on nations - for some canon examples.

Sounds like custom rituals.
>>
I asked this in the last thread but I'd like some followup.

I'm going to start a 4e game soon where the players are trapped in an MMO trope. I was told I should use this rules compendium and character builder for pretty much everything, so I got it, but it seems like it's a massive fuckton of stuff including like 30 books and numerous magazines.

Can I cut down the list of books to use? Can I get away with using the PHB1 & 2, the Monster Compendium, and DMG1 & 2? Because building a sample character I have fucking 20 options for at wills and I don't know which are fucking worth taking.
>>
>>54909326
By custom you mean homebrew, do you not?
What happened to "everything you need already exists, you just have to find the right thing and change the name"

>>54909372
They gave you literally all of the official content. It's a lot of stuff. Unlike other games though, you could just choose things completely at random and still have a playable character 99.99% of the time.
>>
>>54909372
> Can I get away with using the PHB1 & 2

You _can_ get away with it, but why? Just let the players build the characters; alternatively, if you must, build essentials characters, they have a lot fewer choices to make. 4e is pretty balanced, agonizing over the right at-will is kinda silly.

If you must, just glance over some char buiding guides or example characters made by others.

>>54909483
>By custom you mean homebrew, do you not?

Nah, I mean "custom rituals that I don't need to stat out because they do what needs to be done for the story".

It's not like the players would ever use them... if they would, then they are worth building an adventure around.
>>
>>54909544
>>54909483
See my problem with this is that I've played 4e and I know there are trap options and that combat without atleast somewhat competently built characters is glacial.
>>
>>54909653
As long as you
- hand out an expertise feat for free (this may wait for a bit later)
- there's at least 1 striker and 1 (enabler, not full healer or something equally silly) leader
- you use MM 3 math

it should go fast
>>
>>54909700
Right, forgot "have at least 18 in main stat after racial", but that too.
>>
>>54909700
>expertise feat for free
Why do they need this and why can't they just pick this up themselves?
>>
>>54909755
The math works out better.

They can get it themselves, but giving it out for free means they are guaranteed to have it (so the math works as expected), and they can pick up something more exciting instead.
>>
File: Black Arcanian.pdf (102KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Black Arcanian.pdf
102KB, 1x1px
>>54908830
piggybacking on OP, does anyone have any custom monster blocks worth sharing? I remember I really enjoyed making a few and saving some during the edition wars, but I never had a campaign long enough to use them.

also, does anyone know an easy to edit template for monsters? I have a few stat blocks that are just awkwardly formatted text files.
>>
I want to play a knight, but not in the usual "I put on heavy armor and a shield and just sit in the middle of enemies thing"

How is going Eladrin knight, multiclass swordmage, and just getting everything that lets me teleport around everywhere? It seems fun
>>
The problem with 4e is simply that it's a good game terrible at being D&D yet still not good enough to stick out among non-D&D games, since it's still saddled with enough of its baggage, just not enough to appease grognards.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.