[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a crappy imagination, what do I do.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: frog.jpg (51KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
51KB, 396x385px
When I was a kid I was able to imagine characters and the world they inhabit while reading, now I have trouble visualizing anything at all.

My friends are skilled artists and are getting a lot more out of RPGs compared to me, because I can't imagine the characters or action. Is there a way of fixing my brain so I can have an imagination and enjoy pen and paper games like my friends do?
>>
>>54900419
I'm assuming you've stopped using your imagination for a while, and if so, you need to slowly expand by imaging more and more each time. It helps to think of it as you begin in the situation, rather than 'my level 3 paladin helps the
crying woman' try ' there is a woman crying in front of me, why, what can I do'

Good luck
>>
>>54900419
Drugs
>>
>>54900655
Anon just because you're right doesn't mean you should say it
>>
>>54900419

When was the last time you watched, played or read something new anon? Fresh stimuli are important.
>>
>>54900419
Read more books OP.
>>
>>54900419
Fuck off, frogposter.
>>
>>54900419
>>54902072
>Read more books OP.
This.
Read. A lot.

You might not become Tolkien, or even Michael Bay, but you can only utilize the input you have to work with.
Reading works the mind and imagination.
Stop spoonfeeding your melon and make it work.
>>
>>54900419
This happened to me. Depression can shut things down, especially when it's connected with exhaustion from addressing frenetic situations. Relax as best you can, eventually it will come back, as long as you don't burn yourself out driving too hard.
>>
>>54900419
As far as it relates to your own character, I'd recommend making a character who isn't much of a stretch for you--one with a personality that comes naturally to you (whether or not the character is anything like you). Then, sink into your character. Don't say: "My character does [thing]." Say: "I do [thing]." Don't say "my character says [thing]". Just say "[thing]."

Put yourself in your character's shoes--inhabit your character--and the rest should come naturally (or at least more naturally than if you weren't doing that). Other than that, maybe smoking a little bit of pot could help loosen you up and get your creative juices flowing. Catch a buzz, listen to some music and just think about your character and their relationship to the other characters in the group, and what you might do if you were in your character's shoes. If you ever get really stuck, think over the plots of some of your favorite movies and books. Sit there and summarize the plot in your mind: first this happened, then this other thing happened, and so forth. If you want to get fancy, examine *why* things happened the way they did, and think of alternate ways things could've gone. Do this enough times, and the patterns will get stuck in your head. Then you can use that to influence your character and your imagination in general.
>>
File: Nox-630x390.jpg (73KB, 630x390px) Image search: [Google]
Nox-630x390.jpg
73KB, 630x390px
>>54900419
I'm very much the same way, but I still enjoy playing I just tend to like less of the RP stuff and more of the looting and min\maxing characters to shit on people in combat(yea, im one of those people). I recommend trying to get out of your comfort zone though, force yourself to get more involved RP wise, if it helps play a literal robot character that has issues emoting or someone who is more like yourself.It won't hurt to ask for more descriptions during a scene so you can build a better image in your head as well.
>>
>>54900419
Hit yourself in the face with a brick until you either die, become too retarded to worry about abstract issues like this, or fuck your neurons up in such a way that you get one of those weird ass sensory disorders or spontaneously learn how to speak french or whatever and hope it improves your imagination.
>>
>>54905147
yea a lot of these people recommend reading books, do that too. I went on a binge where I read multiple fantasy trilogies. That helped me alot for getting invested in my character and the story.
>>
Practice, practice, practice. Practice in your free time, practice during slow time at work, practice while moving about the town, etc.
>>
>>54900419
you grew up anon, happens to the best of us
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.