[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the/some of the best rules you came across?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: war_by_arenaestudio.jpg (493KB, 1024x1555px) Image search: [Google]
war_by_arenaestudio.jpg
493KB, 1024x1555px
For example I loved the way Savage Worlds used dices as attributes (d4,d6,d8) and the way it handles hit points and injuries. Plus the bennies (inspiration, action points) is a very nice idea, as a master you can battle in a fair way for the control of the results with your players, without having to asspull or cheat.

5e advantage and disadvantage is also a nice example.

The best attribute set I came across is:

STR, AGI, DEX, CON, INT, PER, WIL, MAG

I never found a system that handles armor/shield in a good manner tough.
>>
Pic not related.
>>
>>54900076
MonsterHearts (more 2e) has one of my favourite social systems. There is no 'roll to persuade' instead a bunch of different ways of affecting the power dynamic between two characters (represented in strings), and strings can then be spent in order to learn how to push someone into doing something as well as a few other uses.
>>
>>54900076
I like The Black Hack (I think that was its name, OSR game) distilling things almost entirely into just your level number, and then calculating based your bonuses on level difference. I.e. if you are fighting a level 1 goblin with a group of level ones, nobody gets a bonus to any rolls. If you are fighting a level 5 ogre with a group of level 1 players, the ogre gets +4 to all attacks and all defenses. It makes stat blocks ridiculously simple and means you really only need to update 1 number on your sheet.
>>
>>54900076

Ok disclaimer: I'm a massive GURPS fan. I could hit the char limit talking about good ideas in GURPS like SSR, martial arts styles, chase scenes, and the way 3d6 works with bonuses and penalties. I'll spare you all and so hard mode: good features in OTHER systems. Some of which GURPS copied later, but whatever.

Shadowrun: shit system overall, but Karma spending is very clever. A GM can give players a seriously life-threatening challenge without worrying about a TPK. Lifestyle costs are good too.

WoD: willpower does the same thing as Karma, but encourages good RP as well. The virtues systems in VtM were great until Paths of Enlightenment let you bypass the game concept.

Call of Cthulhu had a great madness system, and introduced the idea of a two edges sword stat.

Battlefleet Gothic is a wargame, but damn if the Leadership/special orders system isn't a great way to represent ships in fiction, manage game size scaling, and give players an "expendable" tactical resource. Warmaster, a deeply underrated game, has something similar, plus a great balance of special characters vs formations.

Sticking with wargames, the morale/quality/motivation system is simple but very tactically rich. Chit draws for damage are a little antiquated now, but very clever IMO.

D20 modern's Wealth system is straight up brilliant.

FFG 40k games get shit for their mechanics, but Profit in RT is a good development on Wealth. Character creation is a dream.

Remember the old Babylon 5 CCG? Diplomacy/Leadership/Intrigue/Psi. Those parallel systems were and are fantastic and we need to see them in more RPGs.

D&D 3.x had problems with itemization, but they also were a big improvement on item control over other games. Chakra slots and bonus typing were major improvements. The D&D 5 successor, Advantage/Disadvantage, is also excellent. 4e sucked imo but Minions were a good innovation. All three were among the first to recognize and tackle the action economy.
>>
>>54904177

Ars Magica opened up the conversation on improvisational magic. Still solid nearly 30 years later.

Illuminati did a lot of things right, but the power structure and descriptor rules were home runs: thematic, tactically rich, and fun as hell (and often wickedly witty). The hidden agendas were and are brilliant.

Robo-rally: the whole move system is clever. Predeclared moves and spontaneous shooting, five moves declared at once, locked registers for damage. There are ideas in here that RPGs could use.

Seals of Satan: I will never not smile at reading the phrase "Roll on the Lassie translation table."
>>
Honestly I love how gurps balances by not balancing at all

A 1000 point social character can be beaten by a 40 point warrior if he plays his cards right
>>
>>54904177
Good list. I play GURPS regularly. Loved BFG.

For miniature gaming I really like Pulp Alley, the dice mechanic, card system, and narrative aspect all work well together.
>>
>>54904177
Gurps is the most complete system out-there, no doubt about it.

The only thing I think I really dislike it's the attribute system.
I have a problem with over-simplified attributes.

An example would be DEX in D&D, it makes no sense for your dexterity to be also your agility.

They're two different things!
>>
>>54900076
Cypher system letting you exhaust your characters to get better results was well done to me. I always thought death spirals were worse than railroading until I encountered a competent one.
>>
>>54907980

Yeah but it's easy to split them out. Manual Dexterity is plus or minus 5 points per level. You could easily take the skills linked to Manual Dexterity, make manual dexterity into DX, and then move all the other skills and secondary attributes over to Agility (15/level). Start both stats at 10 as usual.

I already add a CH (Charisma) core attribute. It's +/-5pts/level, starts at 10, and replaces IQ for most influence skills. A reaction roll is just a CH check with a target number of 10; base your result on the margin of success/failure. Bonuses/penalties all work the same, as do influence checks. IQ remains 20/lvl.

This is just like people splitting off Will and Perception from IQ and then making IQ 10 or 20 points per level. No real changes required, you just check off the skill list.

In fact, Will plus Perception could be merged and you'd get exactly what Wisdom is in D&D. Ten points per level.

Magic of course depends on the setting but Thaumatology shows you how to make it its own stat (again super-easy, and here you don't even have to go through the skill list first).

At that point you have OP's list of stats, or whatever system you want. Yeah stats aren't equally priced, but they're not equally valuable in any systems that I've ever seen even when they're priced the same. In D&D5, dex is king and STR is a dump stat right now for many builds. But they're still the same cost at character creation. IMO that's a flaw with D&D rather than GURPS, which accounts for stuff more accurately in terms of in-game usefulness.
>>
>>54908029

Oooh I like that. I'll have to try adding that rule to the next game I run. (In GURPS terms, this is Impulse Points with the Costs Fatigue limitation).
>>
>>54900076
>I never found a system that handles armor/shield in a good manner tough.

Hackmaster 5E handles armor shields in a great manner, but almost nobody plays it.
>>
>>54900076

Shadowrun's mental and physical wound track, with mental overflow spilling into physical. Gives a great system on which to make a lot of things games usually gloss over into real damage- fear, hunger, sickness, over-exertion can all be put in as 'mental damage

Tri-stat is a great attribute system: basically you have power, agility and resilience for physical, mental, social. So basically a STR, DEX, CON trinity for each 'type' of stat.

I will forever love Earthdawn and the Step rolling system, even if people think it's hateful and clunky.
>>
>>54900076
Jesus that mail is going to grind her nipples right off.
>>
>>54912153
I also really like their count system for combat, though it's a bit too crunchy for most groups.
>>
>>54900076
>The best attribute set I came across is:
>STR, AGI, DEX, CON, INT, PER, WIL, MAG
Where is this from?
>>
>>54916667
My friend made this one, all the attributes use dies, so STR d4,d6,d8.

Now, as an example you could attack an oponnent with AGI+DEX and he would try to evade by AGI+DEX+Weapon/Shield block. If it hits then the attacker would roll AGI+DEX+Weapon DMG, and subtratc enemy protection (wich was VERY high for heavy armor).

Tests would work like this, I'm arm wrestling this guy and I have d4 STR so I roll d4 two times and my opponent would roll his d6 two times also.

For any kind of roll we would use AT LEAST two dices, so the result is more balanced and less extreme/more consistent, so even if just one attribute is being tested you roll the attribute two times.
>>
>>54915866
It's from Tormenta, a Brazilian 3e derivative. No one said Brazilians were practical-minded.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.