[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

entry level rpgs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1496270132431.png (175KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496270132431.png
175KB, 600x800px
I am getting back into RPG's again and having a great time. I played dnd in high school but now have played some other stuff that I think is a bit better.

Curious, what are some great entry level RPGs? preferably rules light. I would like to show some of my friends and lady friend RPGs in the hopes they want to try some other stuff. Definitely heavier on role playing and light on combat.

Some that are immediately interesting are Fiasco and Fate.
Curious if Paranoia would be a good one as well.
>>
File: 918758.jpg (73KB, 540x763px) Image search: [Google]
918758.jpg
73KB, 540x763px
>>54899939
I hear PbtA is a good kick off point for a lot of people. Run a Mad Max style game and you'll probably get them onboard.
>>
File: Ultra Lite.pdf (98KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Ultra Lite.pdf
98KB, 1x1px
>>54899939
GURPS Ultra-Lite is one page long and free.
>>
>>54899939
Fiasco is not really entry level. It is more its own, separate thing.

Fate Accelerated works well.

Paranoia is not really entry level, either, thanks to the rules of the game being beyond the players' security clearance.

Apocalypse World, Ryuutama and Shinobigami are all very beginner-friendly, particularly on the GM's side.
>>
>>54899939
I know a lot of people here hate it, but for people who've never played RPGs in their life, Dungeon World is a soft start
>>
Can anyone attest to games that are meant to be played in one session being better entry level games?

>>54901364
>Fate Accelerated works well.
Curious, is this practically the same as FATE core? i.e. if i read fate core and looked up a few things would I be knowledgeable enough on fate accelerated?

>Apocalypse World, Ryuutama and Shinobigami are all very beginner-friendly, particularly on the GM's side.
I previously heard good chatter online about Ryuutma. apocolypse looks sick.

>Paranoia is not really entry level, either, thanks to the rules of the game being beyond the players' security clearance.
good to know. Is there a best edition for paranoia or just go with the newest one?

>>54900049
Dope, apocalypse setting is pretty approachable. not every one can do dragons and stuff.
>>
>>54904135
Latest edition of Paranoia is a pile of shit, they tried to make it card-driven but skimped on the production values and the art so it looks like shit and, thanks to the cards, you're constantly confronted with how shitty it looks. Plus they scooped almost all the flavour out of the rulebooks to condense them down and the provided adventures suck.

Best edition was probably Paranoia XP from 2004. Get that and the 2005 Flashbacks supplement (which has the best adventures from the first two editions of the game) second hand and you're set.
>>
>>54904397
just did some surfing and I am reading second edition and xp are the best.
I will probably go with xp.
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96KB, 869x425px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96KB, 869x425px
>>54899939
Barbarians of Lemuria

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition
>>
>>54904429
Core book for 2nd edition is pretty decent too, I'd say it's neck and neck with XP.

As far as the support lines go, 2nd edition saw lots of horrible shovelware put out for the game, but XP had better standards.
>>
>>54899939
>Joke about BLM
Seriously though, I like to portray orcs as assholes, but still relatable to other humanoids. Meet an orcish adventurer, and he might throw a knife at you just to test you, but not anywhere vital, and only because he wanted to see if you were worth monster hunting with.
>>
>>54904510
very nice

>>54904522
sounds good.
does this look like the proper rulebook for xp?
http://orig05.deviantart.net/2dde/f/2012/316/e/6/paranoia_player_section_by_atta_crossroads-d4zxv52.pdf
>>
>>54899939
i've had massive success pushing paranoia as a first rpg experience, but the players all knew it was not serious and just a light party game.

it's a risky take though. it's very hit or miss. some players will hate it for not being crunchy enough. a lot of new players expect crunch from what i've noticed, and paranoia basically DM ad-hoc bullshit simulator. everyone i've ran it with either hate it for not being "gamey" enough or fucking loved it for just being mr bone's wild ride

and yes XP is best paranoia.
>>
>>54905058
That's the right edition but it's missing about 150 pages of material.
>>
>>54907107
by chance do you have a better link or pdf?
>>
does enyone have experience with warhammer RPG 2e?
>>
>>54899939
What are they interested in? Scifi? Fantasy? Action movies? Cooperative board games?

I like Barbarians of Lemuria, but it actually feels like there's more player interaction with the rules than in old school D&D. I found new players searching their character sheet for what combination of professions to mix and match to use in a given task, rather than just narrating what they did.

Red box/BX D&D is actually really damn good for introducing new players. It was designed to be played by people who'd never even heard of a role playing game before.
>>
>>54911056
>I like Barbarians of Lemuria, but it actually feels like there's more player interaction with the rules than in old school D&D
little unclear, but do you think original dnd or barbarians of lemuria is better for entry level players?

the people i want to show it to can deal with scifi, action movies, and mad max/post apocolypse stuff. one or two people might be able to do fantasy.
>>
Don't listen to >>54900746. Go for GURPS Lite or if you have balls go full GURPS. After you read a bit on that, get Dungeon Fantasy 1, 2, 3, 5, and 11.

>DF 1 and 3 will give you everything you need for creating genre-specific characters.
>DF 2 will give you easy rules for dungeon-related activities.
>DF 5 will give you allies (think druid animals, familiars, and holy spirit bros) for your players.
>DF 11 will give players more abilities that they can purchase as they gain more points.

If you don't mind doing more work, you could drop DF 5 and 11 as they just include extra bits that just make life easier for the GM.

7 books MIGHT seem like a lot, but the thing with the DF series is that each book is fairly small on their own and total to about a full books worth in size. So it's more honest to say you need 3 books total.
>>
>>54904397
Was curious about the new Paranoia, but the whole card thing had me concerned. It's a shame though, updating things to change from fighting Communism to Terror (tm) and whatnot would have been cool.
>>
>>54914273
thanks for the insight.

Curious, if i read gurps lite will this give me sufficient knowledge on gurps and vice versa? i.e. if i read one could i learn the other with little effort?
>>
>>54916113
It would help if the GM read the Basic Set entirely (and the players can work with just Lite), but you can run shit off Lite alone, too.
But yeah, Lite unlike Ultra-Lite, has the mechanics of GURPS proper.
>>
>>54900746
>said page consists of explaining how to prepare the second page
>namely, cut it up into 8 smaller pages because what is formatting
Is this a "now you know why GURPS is shit" meta joke?
>>
>>54907753
I have some experience with it. The system is overall pretty straightforward for a d100 system. Combat is about stacking conditional modifiers to make up for not being awesome dudes at the start. If you have experience with Dark Heresy a lot of it will be familiar to you. Characters start on the shit end of the spectrum with a wide variety of careers to choose from. Your starting group can consist of an Empire Soldier, a hedge wizard elf, and a rat catcher.
>>
>>54916852
if i want to gm should i read the 4th ed campaigns and the 4th ed characters? or just the campaigns book.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.