[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best system for generic as fuck fantasy settings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Open.png (525KB, 634x900px) Image search: [Google]
Open.png
525KB, 634x900px
What's the best RPG system for the most bland and generic fantasy setting you could ever think of?

I'm looking forward Open Adventure but I figured you might have some other interesting options.

I want something entirely fantasy focused so no generic system shilling please (Gurps and Savage Worlds fags I'm looking at you!).

Also fuck Strike, I know some faggot will want to shill it here, Already tried it and hated it so Strikefags can kiss my ass.
>>
You don't seem interested in anything else, fuck off to the OSR thread.
>>
>>54899892
dnd
>>
>>54899892
DnD!!!!!!.... just kidding. by now you are probably avoiding this game.
>>
>>54899955
>>54899966

I didn't know /tg/'s opinion on DnD so I didn't say it out loud but yes I avoid DnD
>>
>>54899892
>I want something entirely fantasy focused so no generic system shilling please (Gurps and Savage Worlds fags I'm looking at you!).
> Also fuck Strike, I know some faggot will want to shill it here, Already tried it and hated it so Strikefags can kiss my ass.

Well aren't you just a fruit basket of fun.

Legend? FantasyCraft?
>>
>>54899892
It's D&D, anon.
>>
File: 1420456521642.png (958KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1420456521642.png
958KB, 1024x768px
>>54899892
GURPS isn't very good if you want a generic setting for fantasy.

It's a generic system, but most of the material is setting agnostic. The settings that are published tend to run to surprisingly distinct.

Not to mention that for classic fantasy where nobody can die without getting shot a thousand times, GURPS does poorly. Combat's brutal and a few hits can kill anyone.
>>
>>54900711
Dungeon Fantasy manages some.
Also I don't know offhand any system where someone can be shot a thousand times and survive.
>>
>>54900723
It's easily doable in D&D 3, 4 and 5 or derivatives (Pathfinder, ect) where arrows generally deal only scratch damage and healing is cheap and easy.

D&D health annoys me because a 4th level fighter can casually jump off the roof of a church three or four times with zero danger.
>>
>>54900944
Given that Merlin was a level 3 Magic-User and Hercules was a level 5 Fighter, this seems just about alright, desu.
>>
>>54899892
Basic/Expert D&D sets and retroclones

The ones where races are classes to hammer in the generic fantasy
>>
>>54900966
>Demigod that kills snakes in the cradle and solo-ed a hydra.

Several of the labors are legitimately impossible for a level 5 fighter or man-at-arms.

>Merlin Satianspan

Level 3 doesn't really cover a man created to be the fucking Antichrist. Also, a shapeshifter, impossible for a level 3 magic user.
>>
File: Conan.jpg (282KB, 640x907px) Image search: [Google]
Conan.jpg
282KB, 640x907px
>>54899892
System doesn't determine SETTING, system determines TONE.

What TONE are you looking for in your "generic fantasy"

Do you want the PC's to be plucky mercenaries in a generic fantasy world trying to raid generic tombs and amass enough generic wealth to retire to generic comfort? OR, do you want your PC's to be generic heroes with generic destinies who fight their way through generic minions to ultimately the generic fantasy world from a generic villain who is threatening to bring about generic apocalypse?

Those two might be in the same setting, but they are NOT best suited by the same system.
>>
>>54902344

OP here, I want the PCs to be mercenaries involved in shady criminal activities. Some sort of Heroic-Fantasy GTA.

It would be the same kind of mercanary heroes you are supposed to play in greyhawk (the only D&D setting I tolerate, even "Like")
>>
File: 1412881668532.jpg (22KB, 358x392px) Image search: [Google]
1412881668532.jpg
22KB, 358x392px
>>54902389
Either Runequest, or Unironically GURPS with a Medieval Fantasy splat-book.

I know you asked specifically for no generic systems, but in this case: medieval GTA+Magic, GURPS actually does exactly this tone quite well. It does NOT NOT NOT do everything, and I do not recommend it often, but it is actually tailored quite well to your goal.... though it DOES take a long time to learn and master the system, despite what GURPSshills will tell you.

I've talked myself into recommending runequest.

There is also a hack of shadowrun 3rd edition out there that works really well for fantasy. Basically you take away hacking alltogether, and replace cyberware surgery with "magical equipment soulbinding rituals," while technically this last bit does make it a lot less of a hastle to switch out your cyberware-equivalent that was always a drag in SR anyway.
>>
>>54899892
Reign
>>
Barbarians of Lemuria?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.