[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stat me /tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 81

Stat me /tg/
>>
+10 Forgettableness
>>
>>54898581
Betray-my-species-for-alien-pussy/10
>>
>>54898581
10/10 would purge
>>
>>54901563
I'd do it too desu
>>
>>54898581
forgot-to-do-his-job/10.

Reminder that the whole conflict wouldn't have happened if he had done what he was suppose to and tell the Na'vi what they wanted and asked if they could make some room a bit so the humans could mine the ore out from underneath the giant ass tree.
>>
File: alien-girls.jpg (5KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
alien-girls.jpg
5KB, 188x268px
>>54903858
IN ANOTHER SUBJECT ENTIRELY:
Are alien girls monster-girls?
>>
File: sigourney-weaver-avatar.jpg (33KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
sigourney-weaver-avatar.jpg
33KB, 400x267px
>>54901563
You mean the species that had killed their own planet, and intended to do the same to another one, because they are a bunch of spiteful, greedy, petty dick-waffles?
>>
>>54904908
That's rich, coming from the people being mind-controlled by their own planet. Selfishness is the true nature of all living beings, and Pandora exemplifies this by being so selfish that it refuses to allow any creature on its surface to disagree with it.

Greed, pettiness, spite - all of these are simply predatory instinct writ large. The only animals without these are prey, and in them they still have fear and superstition.
>>
>>54906711
>That's rich, coming from the people being mind-controlled by their own planet. Selfishness is the true nature of all living beings, and Pandora exemplifies this by being so selfish that it refuses to allow any creature on its surface to disagree with it..
Eywa isn't "mind-controlling" them you fuckwit. They obviously have free-will and the ability to choose which path they go on, they merely venerate and worship Eywa because she's the damn planet that they live on, and grants the peace and ease of life. Unlike the humans you seem to love sucking off, who managed to turn their whole world into a smog-filled, overpopulated death-trap.
>>
>>54904546
It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!
>>
>>54898581
Originally:
Alzheimer/10
Currently:
Forgotten/10

Oh the irony.
>>
>>54906830
>he didn't read the original script
>he hasn't paid attention to animal behavior in general
>>
>>54904908
You completely missed the part where the humans wanted to negotiate but Jake completely forgot to do his job and start negotiations.
>>
>>54898581
absolutelly-dead-as-the-planet-he-is-on-is-gonna-get-glassed-from-orbit-when-the-humans-return-in-a-decade-or-so/10
>>
>>54906711
>coming from the people being mind-controlled by their own planet.
Does the existance of internet and smartphones mean that humanity is being mindcontrolled?

Actually, I wonder what kind of Shitposts the Na'vi get up to with their network trees when they're bored. Also I wonder if the Scientists will try to use some tech to actually make a proper Planet Bio-Internet for the other tribes to shitpost at eachother with
>>
File: RDA_Air_Forces.png (689KB, 1265x706px) Image search: [Google]
RDA_Air_Forces.png
689KB, 1265x706px
>>54906984
>You completely missed the part where the humans wanted to negotiate
Only the group of them stationed there. genuinely wanted to negotiate and engage in relations with the Natives. All the RDA cared about was pillaging Pandora for all it was worth. They were absolutely *giddy* at the prospect of destroying the Tree Of Voices.
>>
>>54906984
IT'd have broken down anyway, their life-tree integrated the unobtanium into itself.
>>
>>54907641
The internet is different from the planet itself literally being sentient, directly controlling the growth of all life on it, and absorbing the minds of the dead
>>
>>54907776
And their military advances only began after the negotiations fell flat due to their emissary turning traitor. They'd have gladly taken the path of least resistance if it was open to them.
>>
The whole point is that conflict was inevitable. Humanity would always need more. Eventually they would have to kill the tree.
>>
I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the screenplay that Earth needs those superconductors to live
>>
>>54898581
>betraying humanity for some dirty tau lookalike
-10/heresy
>>
I don't even get why they didn't just tunnel.

The shit isn't at ground level so they must have had mining equipment.
>>
File: Utral_Aymokriyä.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Utral_Aymokriyä.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>54907832
>And their military advances only began after the negotiations fell flat due to their emissary turning traitor. They'd have gladly taken the path of least resistance if it was open to them.
Even if negotiations *did* go through, they would still kill the tree. Humanity had -completely- depleted all of Earth's natural resources, and reduced it to a husk that could only barely support life. Even if they did get the unobtanium that they wanted, they would need ever more in order to prevent themselves from going extinct. They would have to kill the tree sooner or later, ad then condemn Pandora to a slow and painful death, whilst they spacefarted away to go leech off of some other planet. In short, Humanity had become a complete and utter parasite.
>>
>>54898581
I don't know... maybe a regular Na'vi warrior could be:
M 8 WS 4+ BS 4+ S 4 T 4 W 1 A 2 Ld 7 Sv -
>>
>>54908077
If humanity as a whole intended to take the unobtainium by force no matter what, there'd be no movie because Pandora would just get nuked from orbit. The intervention in Pandora was very controversial in-universe
>>
>>54907935
Because the script was written by bunch of hacks
Literally 20 people doctored this script and still couldn;t salvage the pure shitness of it
>>
>>54908077
Not surprising. This is how any heterotroph works when not kept in check by predation, low birthrates, and lack of technology.

Even now, livestock can clear entire swaths of a continent of vegetation in large enough numbers.

The fact is that any species which must consume resources to survive will consume those resources nonstop until stopped by an outside force. This is how all animals WORK. The only way to keep them from depleting their environments entirely is to kill them in large enough numbers to keep the population stable. It is as true of penguins, lions, grasshoppers, and bears as it is of humans or cows. Why do you think locusts are considered an apocalyptic plague?

All life does this. This is the most natural course of action for a being to take. Living beings have no sense of restraint. Even plants will gladly suck up all the nutrients in their soil. Do you know what stops them?

They DIE. They die in such great numbers that there aren't enough of them to permanently damage the ecosystem.

Humanity is just what all life becomes when it ceases to roll over and die in the slightest breeze.
>>
File: avatar_pandora_background_seed.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
avatar_pandora_background_seed.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>54908153
You know, I think the only reason why Pandora doesn't become like Humanity is simply because either Eywa can produce infinite resources without end, or she keeps a tight grip on her children and prevents them from growing unchecked.
>>
>>54898581
Retarded movie, James Cameron has fallen from "Aliens" greatness.
>>
>>54898581

Statted for Risus:

Human Who Wants an Alien's Body 2
Big Guy for Blue 3
Convinced he's the Protagonist 4
Actually a Dumbass Just Along for the Ride 1
>>
>>54901563

> alien pussy is lame but half of 4chan would kill for 2D/furry/boipussy
>>
>>54912419

>alien pussy is lame

It most certainly is not! That other guy's just super gay, is all.
>>
>>54898581
my wife
>>
>>54907903
Earth would always need more and eventually not get what it needs. Unlike Pandora.
>>
>>54908452
Pandora's resources are limited, because, you know, it has limited amount of matter (which grows a little because it absorbs star's energy but thats beside the point.
The second is the only option. Navi's make first mating in Eywa's presence, she definetly controls their reproduction.
>>
File: prometheus in a nutshell.jpg (21KB, 388x269px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus in a nutshell.jpg
21KB, 388x269px
>>54908536
Eh, no where as bad as Scott Ridley has.
>>
>>54898581
large humanoid
str 20+
dex 20+

they have carbon fiber bones too, but dunno what to do with that
>>
>>54908536
The thing that bothers me the most is that the humans didn't have artillery, and if they did have it they didn't use it when it could've won the conflict in a few hours.
>>
>>54908147
Only so much you can do with "Humans bad to blue Native American stand-ins"
>>
>>54907785
Jake had no way of knowing the negotiations were doomed to failure, he still fucked up.
>>
>>54908536
He turned a horror movie into a war movie in Aliens.
A Fan-fucking-tastic war movie, but a war movie.
>>
>>54906711
The good new is that they literally come with a readily installed mind-control port.

Seriously, this bothers me to no end. The humans have the technology and the aliens are certainly useful. The Na'vi should have become a population of enslaved drones.
>>
>>54914892

>implying the humans can into that level of biotechnology

Gaia's not some otherworldly god, it's a colossal biocomputer/brain and Pandora is its laboratory.
>>
>>54915110
>implying the humans can into that level of biotechnology

Dude. They can clone Na'vi and used them as possessed bodies. The humans have the biotechnology.

If they were half competent and decently written, they would have built a small mind-control plug module and just used the natives as workforce. After all, they are bigger, stronger, and can freely breath the atmosphere. Also they are aliens, and there are no human rights for aliens, dummy.
>>
>>54915214

Cloning is not the same as complex bioengineering. We can clone shit right now. The only advanced thing the humans are using is the neural uplink device that lets them stuff a human's mind into the empty brain of the Navi clone. Pretty nifty, but not on the same level as what Eywa or whatever the fuck its name was.
>>
>>54907903
It needed them for building trains or some shit between the giant habitat domes.

Why they didn't just bomb them from orbit I am not sure.
>>
Didn't they say they planned a trilogy? Whatever happened to that?
>>
>>54915368
I don't think you know what you're talking about or understand the issues at hand here.

If humanity can dump a human brain into a Na'vi's brain, then they have at least a moderate understanding of the inner working of a Na'vi's brain. This is a fact.

Additionally, the Na'vi are literally built with a mind-control IO port. This IO port can be used to command animals and to merge minds or whatever, but it also represents a huge security risk and an opportunity.

Building a small module that plugs into that IO port is order of magnitudes easier than dumping an entire human brain inside. All the parts are in place. You just need to hack a little.

They spent billions of dollaridoos into a biotech project of cloned human ambassadors (!) when they could have spent far less into a small mass produced compliance module.
>>
File: Jake's_birth.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jake's_birth.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>54915110
>Gaia's not some otherworldly god, it's a colossal biocomputer/brain and Pandora is its laboratory.
It's actually heavily implied that Eywa is in fact, a full-blown deity, especially near the end of the film.
>>
>>54915524
>Building a small module that plugs into that IO port is order of magnitudes easier than dumping an entire human brain inside.

This part doesn't follow.

Hooking a human mind up to a Na'vi brain stem doesn't require that you understand the whole of Na'vi physiology, just enough to hook up motor control and incoming sensory data to your well-understood human side. And you can fake a lot of the sensory parts with various implants - can't figure out how the Na'vi visual cortex works?
Fuck it, plant some cameras inside the eyeballs and call it a day.
>>
>>54914308
Because Hollywood doesn't listen to military advisors, they run entirely off rule of cool.
>>
>>54915658
Jesus it already looks fake
>>
>>54914308
>>54915862

So you guys totally missed the part where there was no war declared, and the corporation had serious PR problems that prevented just lighting up the planet's natives?
>>
>>54915750
They'd have needed a near-perfect understanding of Na'vi genetics to hybridize them with a fucking alien species. The avatars are made by literally creating a custom-made Na'vi/human hybrid, not just cloning a Na'vi and broadcasting a human consciousness to it.
>>
>>54915990

Then that's kind of a fuckup in the writing. Probably why I didn't remember them saying that, as I try to ignore shit that makes a movie dumber.

Why did the robots stuff humans into pods in the Matrix again? Ahh, forget it, who cares.
>>
>>54916082
Weren't they using bioelectricity to power themselves?
>>
>>54916082
I've heard that the original idea was that they were using the humans' brains for essentially cloud computing. Allegedly, they switched to the battery idea because it was easier to understand.
>>
>>54916082
it's the whole reason that they had to use jake, he was a twin to the scientist/ambassador that the avatar was made for
>>
File: Jake's_speech.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jake's_speech.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Honest question, why is it that every one gets triggered by the mere mention of this movie? Practically everywhere I go, I find artists REEEEEEEing about "how this oviedo sucks because of x", or how "this is stupid for x reason", and I am genuinely starting to wonder if it's not just because this movie paints Mankind in a bad light that people get so pissy about it.
>>
>>54916228
> I am genuinely starting to wonder if it's not just because this movie paints Mankind in a bad light that people get so pissy about it.
That's part of it, yes. It paints many of its human characters as mustache-twirling, greedy, incompetent, one-dimensional villainous caricatures when contrasted to the relatively fleshed out Na'vi who are spiritually, physically and morally superior. The only ones that aren't are also the ones who become Na'vi by the end of the movie. It doesn't help that it's essentially a shittier sci-fi version of Dances with Wolves that got hyped to hell and back for its super-expensive special effects that are already looking dated.
>>
>>54916228
It's not the message as much as it is the delivery. Too many of the actions meant to carry the Pocahontas-in-SPACE plot make no sense for any character with the role or position they have to take. The Na'vi are only "better" because their planet is directly controlling the ideas they are allowed to have, people who are supposed to be on the forefront of humanity's forays into space for resources are somehow idiots unless they sympathize with the aliens, and somehow a corporation of this size is making use of government employees (soldiers) but reports to no government officials at any point during the expedition.

Also, why didn't Eywa just throw the humans off the planet when she first got the chance? Did she need to wait for enough sympathizers to start a rebellion from within, or did she just not feel like it?
>>
>>54916228
It might be that this appears so while actually its just a vocal minority disliking the film so much and majority not bothered enough to defend it. There was an active fan group when movie came out but the hype died or they commited suicide/secluded themselves into closed forums or something.
I actually like the film, despite it having some stupidity. It had some geniune positive emotions.
Can't compare to the majority of movies coming out now. Last 3 movies trailers I saw were all guns blazing "hot" chicks with nigger music.
>>
>>54916298
I don't agree. It seems that human and na'vi characters have same mix of good/bad traits. Humans are mostly ok on personal level but the leadership are all dicks and sometimes manage to make life hell, turning masses into bloodthirsty mob (that one totally like real life). Na'vi are kinda same but leadership sometimes gets divine/biocomputer guidence so it doesn't always do wrong.
>>
>>54916228
A lot (if not all) of it has to do with the fact that it was extremely popular on release. A lot of people were raving about it and then came down from the first viewing high, started noticing the flaws, and then got pissed off that it wasn't actually as good as they had initially thought.

It's basically the same deal as The Force Awakens.
>>
>>54916308
>Also, why didn't Eywa just throw the humans off the planet when she first got the chance?

That's like saying "why didn't your body just get rid of cancer when it had the chance?".

Eywa is not conscious. It's like an organism that is mindless, but reached a stable equilibrium. Until that balance isn't shaken up too much, she just acts automatically.

That's my head canon anyway.
>>
File: 4059275-navi.jpg (102KB, 992x409px)
4059275-navi.jpg
102KB, 992x409px
>>54916308
>Also, why didn't Eywa just throw the humans off the planet when she first got the chance? Did she need to wait for enough sympathizers to start a rebellion from within, or did she just not feel like it?
Presumably because she knew *some* of the humans were good, and wanted to genuinely exchange ideas with her children, instead of just exploiting them. Throwing them all off would just result in the RDA descending with even more greedy, power-hungry psychopaths.
>>
File: TreeOfSouls2-1024x574.png (674KB, 1024x574px) Image search: [Google]
TreeOfSouls2-1024x574.png
674KB, 1024x574px
>>54916402
>Eywa is not conscious. It's like an organism that is mindless, but reached a stable equilibrium. Until that balance isn't shaken up too much, she just acts automatically.
She seems conscious enough to respond when her people need her, and to come to their defense, but could just be a "coincidence". She also seems to be directly linked to all life on Pandora, which explains why the Natives can connect with them so easily.
>>
>>54906984

This. Holy shit, eight years later the movie is just as prime rage fuel as it was when it came out.

Humans need unobtanium to maintain their civilization and instead of just dropping some rocks from space and mining from the crater they go through the trouble of the entire Avatar program, learn navi pyhsiology, language, customs, even build and maintain a school so they could establish relations and mutual understanding. They send an ex-marine to make them understand, humanity NEEDS the unobtanium to survive. But instead of doing his job he was recruited for, he goofs off and decides to do navi rites of manhood so he could woo the chieftains daughter. He just realizes "oh I had a fucking job" with a priceless look on his face when the deadline expires and the machinery is coming, expecting an empty village. Even after the war gets hot, the humans are just trying to scare off the navi instead of having a war of extermination. Because of "PR reasons" the humans are hamstrung from doing anything or deploying any hardware other than construction mechs and daisy cutters or conducting any real offensive but they STILL ran the fuck down the biggest navi war host ever assembled handily, until a literal divine intervention saved their asses. And that was just a little single mining camp and a single human starship.Hell, the ship is still in orbit and they have no way to touch it while it can rain down hellfire. Because hey, despite billions of humans possibly in danger, the navi tribes getting crippled and knowing its 100% the humans are coming back without any "PR reasons" to hold them back the movie touts this as a huge victory because the /pol/ cardboard cutout LITERAL race traitor got the pussy and the alien body at the end, making his treason complete.
No wonder it never got a sequel. It would be just the humans bombarding eywa from the cold, dead void of space until it submits and begs for mercy or until the biosphere is completely distrupted.
>>
>>54914308
>Artillery
Okay, I'm sorry, but thats fucktarded. Now, I agree, the Navi should have been screwded over by any competant military force, but Artillery is not the awnser.

First off, it is clearly established that both the Navi and the Marines both had air power, and when you have Helicopters with Rockets, there is absolutely no need for any sort of ground based artillery, since Helicopters are faster and can fly.

Secondly, putting your Artillery on the ground makes it even worse, since that leaves you vulnerable to attacks from both the Navi and the subsequent Wildlife. They are faster, stronger, and can strike from the foilage fast enough to crush any sort of encampment.

Third, by the climax of thr movie, the entire fight was dictated mostly by Air combat, due to the terrain. The whole reason they had to use the shuttle to drop the bomb was because regular GPS was fucked by the electromagnetic fields of the floating moutains. Speaking of Terrain, good luck finding a suitable target for your artillery, since they literally only have one known target, the tree of life. Nobody knew where the Navi were hiding until literally the last second.

And the Navi still lost, because the Marines used their ranged advantage and fire power to put them down. Artillery would have done fuck all when the forest suddenly went "REEEE HUMIES GET OUT"

Its like asking a WW2 artillery team to guesstimate where a enemy building is in a giant moutain range, while 12ft indians and the entire Australian and African ecosystem tries to fuck you up, and their only guide is a shitter in a helicopter.

I don't even like Avatar, but artillery fags are just dumb.
>>
>>54915524
Although, even if they did do that, imagine explaining to the people at home that your literally brainwashing the natives. Not good PR.

Not to mention that instally ticks the Navi off that you are a dire threat that must be killed, since you are brainwashing their people. So the attack on the tree is no surprise, and expect there to be just open-warfare.

Not to mention Elywe's own reaction would be to start sending all of the shit at you the moment it found out. And even worse, imagine for a moment what it could do if it got its hands on Humans. It doesn't even need the module, all it takes is sticking the human into some roots for Elywe to start hijacking the human brain.
>>
>>54916500

>Humans need unobtanium to maintain their civilization and instead of just dropping some rocks from space and mining from the crater

>It would be just the humans bombarding eywa from the cold, dead void

Considering the first point of humans not doing exactly that, they might not do it even after the other means are out of question. Maybe humans really progressed morally and decided that it is better to die off then destroy other planet and civilization to survive?

Also you understimate the planet. Surely all natives' settlements can be wiped out from orbit, but who says that Eywa wouldn't try to bioengeneer some nasty responce to survive? We do not know it's nature and capabilities, the planet is surely not pure good force since it has predators and na'vi get sick and die. Maybe Eywa isn't the only part of it, maybe there is a war between 2 nature gods or more.
>>
File: avatar_ikran_helicopter.jpg (345KB, 2400x1014px) Image search: [Google]
345KB, 2400x1014px
>>54916561
>A vengeful nature God with all the resources that the Human brain could provide on new tactics and warfare.
This will end well.
>>
>>54916500
This movie was insultingly bad. The humans fight a land war because the navi would get BTFO otherwise. Not only a land war, but one with infantry and mechs with armor everywhere except protecting the pilot.

Have the humans forgotten how to use nukes? Where are the orbital bombardments from the giant spacecraft humans inevitably built?

>>54916576
Unobtanium is not organic, it's crystal. Just exterminatus the surface by guiding a single asteroid into an impact and then send in automated mining equipment to get the ore.
>>
>>54916500
To be fair, we don't really know how badly earth needs Unobtainoum to survive. All we get is that it needs it to help sustain the overwhelming human population via the construction of Mag Trains.

And thats not even the reason they are there; the people in charge are clearly doing thus for profit. If it was so dam vital, why do they care for profits, or how much it goes per kilo? Not to mention that all the troops there were simply hired on, not Government.

I won't argue the fact that they could have glassed Pandora, that is entirely feasible. But by dropping a rock on it, your risking the possibility that the Unobtainoun could be destroyed or damaged. Your also eradicating all of the pharmaceuitical possibilities of the plant life, all of the possible biological advancements we could make, along with the fact that it might not even work;

Besides, honestly, who the fuck cares about Unobtainoum, when Pandora holds the key to Immortality itself. Just imagine if you could somehow recreate the mindswap that Jake experienced. When you can suddenly clone yourself into a bigger and better body ad infinitum, and live practically forever, who gives two shits about Earth?
>>
>>54916614
Given the lack of advances in the face of several years of humans or literally any attempts to that end by the Na'vi or wildlife I don't think it can innovate, just respond to threats. Plus, given the situation you can just drop rocks on all the Trees of Souls and sever huge areas from its influence at a time.
>>
>>54916614
>The planet begins releasing Acids into the air that melts plastic rebreathers
>Trees suddenly become Eucalyptse trees on steroids, exploding at the slightest movement
>Whole factories begin to be formed, as the planet tears itself apart to gather the minerals it desires. Fusions of machinery and animal life, perfectly fuses, started crawling out.
>The planet begins targeting humans, stealing all their memories, and than releasing them back into the population as agents.
>They trie to drop a nuke on it; the planet forms a Russian Fun Gun to shoot back
>>
>>54916684

It was in the extended cut or some supplementary material, the fuck remembers that its required for running the fusion reactors powering human megacities. Also,governments are weak as shit, megacorps run everything.

>But by dropping a rock on it, your risking the possibility that the Unobtainoun could be destroyed or damaged.

Its a fucking mineral in the ground. It takes way less to completely distrupt the biosphere and start a mass extinction than damage rocks. A SINGLE asteroid on the other half of the moon could throw up enough debris in the atmosphere to plunge all those vibrant jungles into a nuclear winter.

>>54916576

>Maybe humans really progressed morally and decided that it is better to die off then destroy other planet and civilization to survive?

Spot the fucking cuck.

>Also you understimate the planet. Surely all natives' settlements can be wiped out from orbit, but who says that Eywa wouldn't try to bioengeneer some nasty responce to survive? We do not know it's nature and capabilities, the planet is surely not pure good force since it has predators and na'vi get sick and die. Maybe Eywa isn't the only part of it, maybe there is a war between 2 nature gods or more.

Or maybe it was a pig! The planet cant do shit aganist getting bombarded from space. just keep destroying those nerve cluster trees one by one until it surrenders or dies.
>>
>>54916944

.>choosing planetary death over planetary genocide = raising another male's child and generally being used by others

I dunno, anon, if you take karma and after-life into account it's pretty easy to see the optimal choice, the one without getting involved into a genocide of another civilization who are not completly shitty and monstrous. Especially given how my own death would come earlier that civilization's death and why should I care about a civilization that grown so retarded it isn't sustanable.
>>
>>54916500
>Humans need unobtanium to maintain their civilization and instead of just dropping some rocks from space and mining from the crater
Or, you know.

Going and mining from the GIANT FUCKING UNOBTANIUM FILLED FLOATING MOUNTAINS.

Fuck the stupid tree, who needs it when there are mountainloads of it just waiting for somebody to come and tow them out of their magnetic field shit and mine them?

Instead they wasted tens of millions (hundreds?) of dollars on creating "Avatars" of cat people with some sort of super-wireless connection (just think about how fucking much sensory data we're talking about here, it's EVERYTHING, and it's over a flawless, seemingly unbreakable short of death wireless connection in real time with zero lag whatsoever and perfect control after about two minutes of getting used to it) and zero oversight (what, you can't just tap a video feed from the data that the stream is pulling in between avatar and host?), send an ex-marine in who proceeds to ignore his mission and chase cat-pussy with his new barbed schlong, and if they can do all that with the Avatars and understand the physiology that well... yeah, it's been argued already. They know that much about the Avatars, they can already remote-control them without trouble, it's not a huge jump to straight up enslave them or at least force them to fuck off to somewhere else on the planet.

Not to mention that the sheer cost of unobtanium means it's not worth the effort against something as basic as solar power or nuclear fusion.
>>
>>54916510
>They are faster, stronger, and can strike from the foilage fast enough to crush any sort of encampment.
Actually, biology as it applies to the creatures of Pandora and their lack of a throat or similar means that if they run through a muddy ditch, there's a very real chance that their chest-nostrils will intake dirt and mud and fuck up their lungs, leading to respiratory problems followed by death.
>>
>>54898581

1 point in smurf
1 point in faggotry
3 points in hippie-dippie bullshit
>>
File: photo_2017-08-07_18-31-40.jpg (25KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-08-07_18-31-40.jpg
25KB, 640x640px
>>54901549
You sure? Because 2009 was 8 years ago
>>
what is James Cameron doing right now
>>
>>54907776
I only care about Humans. Xenos have no rights.
>>
>>54917198
Unobtanium is a room temperature supercobducter.
>>
>>54917701
Working on Avatar sequels.
>>
>>54917701
Cocaine. Probably on a boat.
>>
>>54917198

Cause nothing in the movie makes any sense if you think about it. Seriously, NOTHING. The entire movie just falls apart like a pile of dry dog turd.

Why the humans didnt mine unobtanium somehere else? Why no one told the navi the humans just want their funky rocks and dont want to kill them? Why jake and the navi think antagonizing someone who came through space and has untouchable assests in orbit is wise when all you have are sticks and animals? Why no one had any checks on control one the mission? Who the fuck cares about PR when the company should have perfect information control through space? Its not like the workers could upload their smartphone videos on the internet. Why humans on earth would particularly give a shit about it anyway? We are moving down thousands of humans and square miles of rainforest every day RIGHT NOW and no one is bothered?

The entire movie was just a stupid vehicle for a stupid green aesop, flavored with incompetence and treason.

>>54917023

I know youre trolling but choosing the survival of an alien race, an alien family and an alien civilization instead of your own its the very definition of being a cuck.
>>
>>54919209
To me the stupidest part was how, after having invested considerable effort on creating the Avatars to interact with locals, they simply attack.
> "I like the smell of waste efforts in the morning."
>>
>>54919265
Not attacking would be sunk cost fallacy.

Although, they should have at least tried to set a meeting up with Jake (or like, unplug him immediately and ask him WTF this whole shit is about).
>>
File: smug_ed.jpg (4KB, 188x164px) Image search: [Google]
smug_ed.jpg
4KB, 188x164px
>>54916510
>Being this oblivious about the joke
>>
>>54919209
>I know youre trolling but choosing the survival of an alien race, an alien family and an alien civilization instead of your own its the very definition of being a cuck.
No, the definition of being a cuck is letting your girlfriend cheat on you. Even if we go into the metaphorical, Jake isn't really getting cucked out of anything, seeing as he gets pretty much everything he wants and doesn't share.

And that's where it ends, Jake gets what he wants, doesn't give a flying fuck about humanity and why should he? Besides, it's not even really his job to begin with, he just got shoved in there when they lost the original candidate.
>>
>>54914159
Alien Covenant was good in my opinion, it only took the best of Prometheus (David).
>>54914308
What happened to competent military designers in the future? Those mechs are terrible, a Killa Kan is better designed than Cameron's stuff.
>>54914785
True, but it was an amazing genre shift that few directors could pull off successfully.
>>
File: Neytiri_5832.jpg (360KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_5832.jpg
360KB, 1920x1080px
>>54916308
>Also, why didn't Eywa just throw the humans off the planet when she first got the chance?

I always headcannoned that Eywa didn't know shit about the humans since they weren't connected to her and she didn't want to take drastic action against something she knew nothing about.
Jake also convinces her to intervene by asking her to check Grace's memories of Earth and how absolutely fucked up it is, which makes Eywa act since she understands that the humans are a huge threat to herself
>>
File: Neytiri_1324.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1324.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
>>54898581
I was actually thinking about this not too long ago.
What would be the best system for playing a avatar game? Keep in mind you need to have rules for both essentially stone age society and weapons as well as modern and future society and warfare. Maybe even magic if you want to consider Eywa a magical deity.

also why is Neytiri so absolutely amazing?
>>
>>54914308
Mate, who gives a fuck about artillery when you have almost total air superiority with fucking attack helicopters...
... and somehow get pwned, because the script was written by complete idiots.
>>
>>54898581
I still have hopes that some day someone creates a fanfic of how the RDA returns to Pandora and beats the shit out of those aliens. There was one pretty good one, but it was never finished.
>>
>>54914892
Now I imagine a scene where they create a Na'vi-wifi plug that just gets bolted on.
>>
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —
>>
File: Neytiri holding a seed.jpg (241KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri holding a seed.jpg
241KB, 1920x1080px
What about space-faring na'vi that are led by Eywa to spread it as far as possible. Planting seeds of Eywa anywhere they land and putting great care in terraforming and colonizing new worlds (whether those worlds are inhabited or not is less important since any beings there would become under Eywas care).

You can even expand this to a human-Na'vi alliance since the humans need a new planet to live on when Earth finally fails and Eywa and the na'vi is a great help thanks to their will to colonize and spread their deity. So the humans provide the advanced knowledge and the na'vi the muscle to expand
>>
>>54920349
i wonder what an avatar sequel about eywa invading earth would be like
tyranids
>>
File: Smug Slice.jpg (8KB, 229x236px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Slice.jpg
8KB, 229x236px
>>54898581

I'd laugh my ass off if it turns out that the Humans had factored in Planned obsolescence.

>Be me
>Be filthy Xeno-Loving traitor
>Betray my race after I got pissy at them because I didn't do my job
>Ah well, I've got a body with working legs and smash sweet Xeno pusi on the reg now.
>And I don't have to pay taxes

>4 months later

>Start feeling like shit.
>After raiding an old sky people base, we find out that the avatars are built to naturally Shit Themselves and die after a while, so if people went turncoat the drop off as some sort of revenge.
>Have to have an Injection every so often to stop the process
>Really regret not having a human body now
>Muscles atrophy like a motherfucker
>Can't even walk anymore
>Eventually succumb to Sickness
>Such is the life of a Heretic
>>
>>54916576
>Considering the first point of humans not doing exactly that, they might not do it even after the other means are out of question.

Yes, the other guys are all missing that the corp is not a government, and they are limited by laws. They have to defend everything they do to the Earth governments and public, so they're restricted and can't just nuke the planet from orbit. They've been granted the right to mine the mystery substance, but they are also apparently required to keep their environmental impact as low as possible.

There are dumb things in the movie, yes, but the fact they didn't just murderfuck everything fro orbit and take the rocks from the ashes ISN'T one of them.
>>
>>54919552
>it only took the best of Prometheus (David).
You just like the flute playing scene
>>
>>54920737
That also proves that the situation on Earth isn't as bad as some people seem to believe, if Earth was on the verge of destruction mining the stuff would be a much more pressing matter.
>>
File: Neytiri_2059.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_2059.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
>>54920787
they literally never say what they use the mineral for.
However the real plothole for me is that it's completely inconceivable that the only humans on the only other live-bearing celestial body except for Earth are a few scientist, miners and mercenaries. Especially when there are intelligent alien life on the planet.
>>
>>54920349
That could have been an interesting angle. If Eywa had seen in Grace's memories that MOST planets in the universe are dead, even those humanity never touched while they were living (i.e. Mars), how would it have reacted?
>>
File: 1500589603486.gif (204KB, 281x260px) Image search: [Google]
1500589603486.gif
204KB, 281x260px
>>54898581
>humans didn't immediately nuke the planet from orbit
>get rid of dense vegetation and dense traitors/tau wannabes in one go
>save billions of dollars and thousands of men
>immediately start mining the good stuff from a dead world
It'd make for a good movie
>>
>>54921028

Actually that sounds like it'd be a terrible movie.
30 seconds of nuclear fire, then guys in clean suits mining rock for two hours while watching their radiation exposure?
Maybe if you were Andy Warhol it would sound like a good idea. Something something the banality of expansionism.
>>
>>54920999 (trips)
Eywa has access to all of Grace's memories, it obviously uses some of these memories to react in the end.
If it bothers with any other memories (this would include all information Grace had on the avatar-program for example) is another question. One would assume yes since the memories of one person would be small potatoes for a being that keeps track of a entire racial memory.
>>
>>54921118
It would still be better than most movies coming out nowadays
>
>>
>>54907832
>military advances
>A bunch of corporate security guards
Anon, the military advances come later when earth funds out that a bunch of xenos massacred the employees of the earth India company, and sends the real military, with equipment that's at least on par with the modern military, to finish the job
>>
>>54919552
>Those mechs are terrible
What's wrong with them? Other than not having enough protection for the cockpit
>>
File: Neytiri ears.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri ears.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
I want to fill Neytiri with my seed and have cute blue babies with her!
>>
>>54921856

We all do.
>>
>>54921856
It would be improving their race.

It is your duty as a civilized man to fuck the savage out of her.
>>
>>54914308
>the humans didn't have artillery,
Or drones. Or anything remotely resembling a missile. Or WWII era bomber technology
>>
>>54904546
No. Monstergirls are only enjoyed by faggots and closet furries. Aliens are enjoyed by science fiction writers and uncloseted furries.

See the difference?
>>
File: Neytiri_1692.jpg (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1692.jpg
256KB, 1920x1080px
>>54922016
hey! Neytiri isn't a savage, she a woman of culture and her clans next shaman
>>
>>54919888
that is actually not a half bad comparison owlbearanon
>>
>>54898581
Dances / Wolves
Race Traitor/7
-5 to being memorable
>>
>>54906830
If Eywa wasn't mind controlling anything, then why did the animals suddenly go batshit hivemind and attack?

It certainly has the potential, and that means any free will allowed is at sufferance of Eywa. Assuming it hasn't been influencing things subconsciously all along. It's no small wonder that the main character started his degeneration after his first interfacing with indoctrinated creatures and natives.
>>
>>54922297

Training animals != mind control, anon. I can teach a sheepdog to herd sheep, and he will happily do it on command, but that's not the same as eliminating its free will. (Assuming that an animal can have free will)
>>
>>54922340
Training my ass. You don't train predators to attack nonprey animals in just a few days unless you're literally fucking with their brain and altering their instincts...Oh right, that's mind control.

Also, good job picking an example of an animal that has been selectively bred for generations to be responsive to human commands instead of an actual wild predator.
>>
>>54921508
Why give them arms if they could just mount guns?
Okay if they are labour mechs then I can understand their design, but if they were then why didn't corporation send military mechs for protection, also knifes
>>
File: Avatar3231.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
169KB, 1920x1080px
Honestly the RDA SecOps was more memorable than anything about the aliens.
>>
>>54922297
>If Eywa wasn't mind controlling anything, then why did the animals suddenly go batshit hivemind and attack?
She only did so in spine to ninvive human attack you braindead 40kid. I'm so sorry that the movie wasn't like your 40k power-fantasies where all the aliens die, and Humanity conquers all, but please try to atleast pretend to know what your talking about.
>>
>>54919823
Probably GURPS.
>>
>>54922455
>You don't train predators to attack nonprey animals in just a few days

>implying Eywa hasn't been breeding these things for millenia

Look at the fucking ecosystem, Eywa's engineered the whole thing to work together as a whole. It didn't just find these animals yesterday.

You're really pushing this evil mind control angle, and I'm not seeing it. Those animals are to Eywa what the sheepdog is to us. The Na'vi, on the other hand, appear to have a special place, and are more like Eywa's children. There's no evidence that it "mind controls" them even if you accept the idea that trained animals = mind control.
>>
>>54922736
Don't even bother. He's fully dedicated to portraying the Na'vi and Eywa as "LET EBUL XENOSXD!!", and Humanity as "DE BASED IMPERIALS FIGHTING EVILS FOR DA EMPRAS!!". Its pretty much impossible to reason with him.
>>
They are like not so degenerate chakats

Honestly they should have just taken gene samples of all the creatures on the planet, then go full scorched earth on the stupid cat savages

You then clone all the organisms, and use their knowledge to use mankind forward

And you should consider not making ships that die to spears
>>
>>54921508
Inadequate protection for the mech/helicopter pilots was one of the biggest failures of the movie.
>>
>>54920762
No my favorite part was
>What do you believe in David?
>Creation.
>>
File: Sean_Fike.png (1MB, 661x945px) Image search: [Google]
Sean_Fike.png
1MB, 661x945px
The humans were really two dimensional, but they had a charm of their own.

It was impressive that a couple hundred security guards bolstered with some civilian volunteers and put in situation where their technology was handicapped and relied on LOS were still able to defeat an alien force at least ten times their size.

The sequel will have to involve the humans still wanting to attempt diplomacy, because there's no way the aliens could win in a dedicated war if they can't even defeat rent-a-cops.
>>
>>54922901
I have gone far too long without seeing that diseased word.
>>
>>54920536
>Start feeling like shit.
>After raiding an old sky people base, we find out that the avatars are built to naturally Shit Themselves and die after a while, so if people went turncoat the drop off as some sort of revenge.
>Have to have an Injection every so often to stop the process
>Really regret not having a human body now
>Muscles atrophy like a motherfucker
>Can't even walk anymore
>Hook myself up to the googly gook tree godness
>Transfers me over to a new body
Boom done
>>
>>54923220
>Humans return with military.
>decide not to be diplomatic
>light everything on fire
>drop nukes/thors hammer
>tree spirit dies because only one planet

You are also forgetting about the poor smuch that had to give his body for heretic(na'vi don't have tech to clone)
>>
>>54923220
what new body?
>>
>>54923220
You want to volunteer a donation body?
>>
>>54922461
>Why give them arms if they could just mount guns
So they could do other things not involving combat
>but if they were then why didn't corporation send military mechs for protection
Because it would be another thing you'd have to spend obscene amounts of money shipping to another solar system, that would have no purpose outside of combat.
>>
>>54923278

>implying Eywa can't grow whatever it pleases

I would not be the least bit surprised to find that somewhere on the planet there's a plant Eywa has engineered to be some sort of universal bio-vat that can pop out any organism Eywa asks for.

But even if there isn't, you could always pop him into a baby's body.
>>
>>54923278
I can imagine that the Navi must have some brain dead children; or, seeing as how there are still researchers and facilities on the planet, they could just use those to make full fledged clones.

Besides, even if it doesn't work out, he still gets functional immortality due to the way the planet stores his memories.

Really, as I saod above, the application of Pandora's biological creatures is far above the Unobtainioum, since with it, humans could theoretically love forever. Nuking Pandora means the loss of the Ecosystem and gestalt that allows it.
>>
File: dricka10.jpg (236KB, 1555x1077px) Image search: [Google]
dricka10.jpg
236KB, 1555x1077px
>>54922978
>The sequel will have to involve the humans still wanting to attempt diplomacy

I hope this happens too, not only to show that the humans aren't cartoon villains and that the na'vi can actually progress.

It's not like they have to destroy their moon and way of life by piggybacking on humanity and fast-tracking progress so they can bring their civilization up too speed. Imagine na'vi cities centered around tree of souls with integrated neural networks. Or why not na'vi pseudo-biological sentient spaceships
>>
>>54923395
>that would have no purpose outside of combat

Also keep in mind the mercs are legally only there as a "defense force" to protect the corporation's mining operation. The corp wasn't given the right to wage war or nuke planets or whatever stupid shit keeps getting posted in this thread, they were allowed to mine, and defend themselves, and that's about it. (What happened in the end was probably illegal. The corp likely planned to spin and cover up as hard as they could and hope that getting the mining done and presenting Earth with a fait accompli would keep them out of hot water)

Also, Earth's interest in Pandora must be more than just the mining, because they also required the corp to bring the science team along to study the insanely resilient biosphere, probably with an eye towards compounds and genes that might be used to repair Earth's biosphere.
>>
-2 legs
>>
>>54923419
Their neural networks as are kind of preclude the possibility of cities, or development enough for spaceships.

But their close to nature, planet-stuck status makes them a good contrast to humanity.
>>
>>54922699
>. I'm so sorry that the movie wasn't like your 40k power-fantasies where all the aliens die, and Humanity conquers all, but please try to atleast pretend to know what your talking about.

>4 meters tall amazon women and possession mind-control sex.

>My movie is far more intellectual that your 40k guys!

You're funny.
>>
>>54923402
>>54923411
Seriously the only thing the na'vi have going for them is the tree spirit. This also makes them stupid unsuited for anything off planet.

If a human got put into a semi-hospitable planet they could survive. A na'vi wouldn't even be able to function.

It's also why they haven't even progressed sense the Stone Age.
>>
>>54923525
>My movie is far more intellectual that your 40k guys!

It'd be hard to find something that wasn't.
>>
>>54923580
4 meters tall amazon women and possession mind-control sex.

Please. You're not kidding anyone.
>>
>>54923580
It was stupid
Pocahontas space cats beat mechanised mustache twirling space hicks with spears and the power of nature.

Even 40k(the joke setting that it is) has at least some intellectual qualities(politics, despair, brotherhood and fatherhood, religious fanaticism, etc) as well as having a great aesthetic.

Avatar is just "progress and capitalism are bad GUYS"
>>
>>54923605
>>54923706

>40k defense force is on the scene!
>>
>>54916367
People still hop onto TFA's dick though.
>>
>>54923739
you didn't really make an argument against them...
>>
>>54921856
I want to jack off into her ponytail

Seriously, tho, I wouldn't mind a kit of some of the military hardware, the mechs would make for neat Sentinel proxies.
>>
>>54908077
>Humanity had -completely- depleted all of Earth's natural resources
Obviously not since they can get to other star systems and people are still alive.
They didn't go to pandora because they needed water they went because they needed unobtainium which wasn't present on earth.
>>
>tfw the traitor scully died and eywa programmed the avatar to pretend to be him for its own inscrutable purposes
>>
File: Neytiri_2501.jpg (305KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_2501.jpg
305KB, 1920x1080px
>>54923930
that would mean Neytiri never got the man she loved as a mate, this is not ok
>>
>>54924031
She was never going to get the man that loved her as the man that "loved" her was only interested in her because this was the a first time in years his gonads had worked correctly.

So in this regard it worked as well as it ever could.
>>
>>54923747
Neither did 54923706.
Hyperbole and 4chan "arguments" do not merit intelligent deconstruction because they are not honest arguments to be approached intellectually.
You know what's just as bad? Having your argument called out as bunk, but claiming you "won" anyway.
Wait for it.
>>
>>54924082

Speaking from personal experience, anon?
>>
>>54924132
Yes. I have been crippled.

Does that may you happy?
>>
>>54924131
he actually did. more than you, anyway.
>>
>>54924156
You good now, anon?
>>54924194
>he actually did
Yes, if American politics and 4chan is your measuring stick for a decent argument.
In the rest of the world, it was shit, full of hyperbole, willful mis-characterization, and intense personal opinion (40k has a GREAT aesthetic, that would be a threads worth of arguing alone).
I'm not going to waste my limited lifespan responding to trash arguments.
>>
File: KR_SC_18B.jpg (22KB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
KR_SC_18B.jpg
22KB, 360x202px
>>54923806
>In the 22nd century, the population of the planet had more than tripled since the previous century. Due to pollution, famine, poverty, and war, the population had topped out at around 20 billion people.[3] The Earth is now a decaying world, covered in a haze of greenhouse gasses. Overpopulation, nuclear warfare, pollution, environmental terrorists, significant deforestation, world hunger, ozone depletion, resources depletion, water shortages, and overhunting of what is left of Earth's very few still living animal species are the main things that are slowly consuming what is left of the once beautiful planet.[3]
>Earth is the third planet of the Solar System, and the home planet of humanity. It is a relatively small planet compared to other and much larger planets in the Solar System such as Saturn and Jupiter, though it is quite large compared to most terrestrial planets in the Solar System, such as Mercury and Venus. By 2129, Earth had undergone significant deforestation coupled with the almost total extinction of wildlife on the ground and in the oceans. Due to the destruction of the natural environment and vast urban expansion, the Resources Development Administration (RDA), began to grow vast sea farms of edible protein and nutrient-rich algae, which was flavored with spices and other ingredients, in order to feed the twenty billion people of Earth both cheaply and effectively. Algae has become the staple food for many humans on Earth and the Moon. The RDA also constructed a vast mass transit system that connects the entire globe, a maglev which requires unobtanium to function[1]. Much of the eastern coast of America was damaged in a Tsunami event in the 2140s.[2]
>>
>>54924240
I'll be fine. Eventually. ~Fine. Right now my legs are held together by a metal cage with spikes driven into the bone. Thank god for pain killers.

On the positive side I can catch up on all that reading and films I kept meaning to read and watch.
>>
>>54924302

So all that shit, for a fucking train? Who's the president in this timeline, Bazingaman?
>>
>>54924315
Dude, the fuck happened?
You get tagged by a truck while on a bike?
Also pics if you don't mind
>>
File: Neytiri_2798.jpg (246KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_2798.jpg
246KB, 1920x1080px
>>54924302
>The Earth is now a decaying world, covered in a haze of greenhouse gasses. Overpopulation, nuclear warfare, pollution, environmental terrorists, significant deforestation, world hunger, ozone depletion, resources depletion, water shortages, and overhunting of what is left of Earth's very few still living animal species are the main things that are slowly consuming what is left of the once beautiful planet

Earth is essentially dead by other means, on the verge of becoming or partly already a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
The humans motivation in the upcoming movies really shouldn't be to mine some mineral but to ensure a tiny sliver of humanity survives on Pandora and that means playing by all our favorite benevolent mind-controlling moon deity's rules
>>
>>54924346
A rather stpid accident involving a forklift full of metal girders and me not being aware of my surroundings. Also forklift is an ancient gas powered piece of shit that judders and jolts all over the place.

No pics. Phone is in my pants pocket and I can't remember whrer I left those.
>>
>>54924496
Well... you'll be back to fighting trim, right?
Right?
>>
>>54924509
So I'm told.
>>
>>54923402
Is there a single reason why the Eywa would go out of it's way to basically grant immortality to a person who isn't even one of it's children? How would other Na'vi react to their goddess favoring and reviving an outsider, while their relatives are dying for good of old age, wounds or diseases?
And I'm sure there is nothing wrong with erasing and overwriting a baby personality. His parents would be happy to have a grown man hijacking a body of their child.
>>
File: Fetishes.gif (195KB, 1818x934px)
Fetishes.gif
195KB, 1818x934px
>>54924557
Good luck and godspeed, anon.
Sometimes you gotta believe.
>>
>>54924587

>Is there a single reason

Probably not, but you can still live on in the gestalt if you upload yourself to the trees.

>erasing and overwriting a baby

You'd obviously pick a brain dead one, like the other guy said. It happens sometimes. Ask the parents if they want to bury the kid, or raise him with somebody else's "soul" crammed in him, I think they'd pick the former.
>>
File: Breay_cr.png (864KB, 550x634px) Image search: [Google]
Breay_cr.png
864KB, 550x634px
>ywn have a loyal na'vi huntress gf

feels bad
>>
File: Tmaktonolongerneeded.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Tmaktonolongerneeded.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Plinkett summed up back in 2012 why I disliked Avatar so much. I don't think it's a bad movie, I'm just personally disgusted by how blatantly it forces you to see the Humans as the bad guys with no redeeming qualities and the Navi as the good guys who live perfect lives in harmony with their planet and are perfect waifu bait.

Avatar could've used some grey. Show us how dried up the human economy is on resources in order to justify this extend of ruthlessness towards sentient natives on an alien planet. If the dumb rocks were shown to us as the actual only reason why humanity still exists, the human forces would have an understandable reason for being such assholes in the form of desperation. (and I don't care if that is exactly what the situation is in some book or spin-off or whatever the fuck. What matters is the movie and the movie didn't show us that.)

Alongside, show us something bad about the Navi. Have there be a scene with Jake encountering the aftermath of a raided human caravan and discover that the humans accompanying it where flayed, eaten alive, scalped or something. He then asks the village what the fuck that was and they explain that it's part of their culture and yada yada yada.
>>
>>54924587
>Is there a single reason why the Eywa would go out of it's way to basically grant immortality to a person who isn't even one of it's children? How would other Na'vi react to their goddess favoring and reviving an outsider, while their relatives are dying for good of old age, wounds or diseases?
When they die they get uploaded to the mind tree. No issue at all with that.

>I'm sure there is nothing wrong with erasing and overwriting a baby personality. His parents would be happy to have a grown man hijacking a body of their child.

They could probably do it in the fucking womb, yo. Just shove Sully in the mind-tree, then shove him in the fucking fetus.
>>
>>54924302
If they can travel interstellar distances why didn't they colonize other planets in the solar system?
>>
>>54925012
Forced "durrhurr ambiguity for it's own sake" is a 90's hallmark that has fortunately been left behind.
I think it's more that white people don't like seeing themselves being as assholish as they actually are and desperately need to have their desire to be a cunt justified somehow.
>>
>>54924594
Thank you. Healing as hard as I can.
>>
>>54925196
Are you sayings the colored folks don't need a reason to be assholes?
>>
>>54925116
Because resources you dumbfuck. Why did they land on Pandora? Because of that fucking mineral.
>>
>>54925116
Which other planet in our solar system has an atmosphere that would allow a human to walk outside with just a gas mask on?
>>
>>54925116
>If they can travel interstellar distances
They need unobtanium to do that. They've got fucking tiny amounts of it, they can't build colony ships with that small amount.

With the unobtanium they would have been able to colonise other planets.
>>
File: Eywa.png (999KB, 1420x635px)
Eywa.png
999KB, 1420x635px
what if Eywa could create a avatar and take control of it directly to get closer to her children/subjects/creations while still maintaining control over the moon.
What if Eywa then fucked prominent na'vi that it felt really was a prime example of their species and sired children.
What if it even explored human facilities and kidnapped and interrogated humans to learn more about them.
The possibilities are endless.
>>
>>54925196
Ambiguity exists throughout history anon. I know white people get asshurt whenever they're depicted as evil and lately that's often but blue people have a more violent and less civilised history when compared to white people. Tribal law is wrong and leads to ignorance and even death,infact some countries are still lead by tribes who use their tribes advantage of size to get themselves elected in the modern government

I just think that black and white in a movie about ethics is just stupid. If you're going to try be deep you either go elbow length or you go home.
>>
File: 6758567.jpg (675KB, 900x768px) Image search: [Google]
6758567.jpg
675KB, 900x768px
>Eywa when the humans return
>>
I want an Avatar sequel where it's just ninety minutes of spaceships dropping bombs from orbit.
>>
>>54925346
I want both. I want a 90+ minute sci fi war flick about dudes with spider tanks and railguns dukeing it out with swarms of coordinated alien megafauna ridden by blueskins with spears and salvaged rifles.

All while proper giant military mechs go Mano a Mano with redwood sized super organisms piloted by the planets divine biocomputer
>>
>>54925379
Sounds like a really compelling script...

>Avatar haters in charge of coming up with "better" movies
>>
File: raretiri.jpg (174KB, 500x854px) Image search: [Google]
raretiri.jpg
174KB, 500x854px
>>54925337
the na'vi are arguably living in a theocracy led by Eywa with different clans (which the na'vi tribes are called, somewhat strangely considering a clan is just a very large family and tribes are often made up of clans) not really coming into conflict with each other due to Eywas oversight.

That said though there is nothing wrong with well made ambiguity, for example you could argue that the na'vi are both xenophobic and fanatical, but this is partly due to how the RDA had treated them (killing na'vi children for example).
At the same time I don't think it's fair to say that the RDA represents all of humanity, but just a small group of ruthless individuals that are ready to commit genocide to earn some extra cash. You can even argue that the movie doesn't specifically bash capitalism since you could change the RDA to a communist mining operation sanctioned by the politburo and the plot would be exactly the same
>>
>>54916228
it's eco-luddite socialist propaganda. na'vi society represents platonic utopia - every member, every animal, has its assigned place in the ecosystem. they live and fight not for themselves, but for the "whole", represented by single centralized controlling body that is treated like a god, that ensures everyone gets their "fair' share of resources. this can be achieved without exploiting and exhausting the central planner/planet, by forcibly keeping the society at hunter-gatherer tribal level. what is the infant mortality rate of the na'vi? or even just general mortality rate?
keeping to tradional ways is "virtuous" and is "rewarded". the individual is less important than the commune. society is strictly hierarchical, with low vertical movement. there won't be any einsteins among the na'vi, they have no freedom for that to happen.
>>
>>54925560

First scene
>orbital bomber satellites get into position around the planet
Next scene
>the blue tribals are happy and celebrating their defeat of the evil humans
Cut to human command center
>confirming Orbital bombardment
>bombardment confirmed
Cut back to satellites
>momentary charge up for the satellites to full power
Cut to command room
>FIRE!
Back to satellites
>Giant ray of fiery death hits the planet
Back to tribals
>Everything is on fire, dead bodies everywhere, those flying creatures are flapping away in panic, a !Not horse runs past the camera while on fire.
>Panic ensues
>Everything is on fire, all the trees including the world tree are a mass of inferno
>Tribal shaman calls survivors to them
> "Humans fucked our shit up our God is dead but luckily plants grow back and our God is a plant so go to the other side of the planet and get a cutting of the world tree so we can grow another God then come back and plant the God seed.
>the survivors begin their trek to reclaim their God all the while the wildlife has become deadly and feral without the God to sate them making the environment just as deadly to them as it was to the humans meaning no ponytail linking shenanigans.
Cut to space
>a fleet of ships comes into view as the satellites power down
>they enter the atmosphere
>land by the abandoned base
>Marines come out by the thousands

The planet is falling apart without the God(literally) and the tribals have to get the Holy cutting before time runs out and the planet dies all the while surviving the feral wildlife and being hunted by genocidal marines. Later find out Earth is dying from overpopulation and pollution and the minerals on this planet are the only way to ensure humanity can travel to colonise other world's which is the only way humanity will survive at this point. They used all their remaining resources to get the fleet to the planet and it's a win or die scenario for Earth.
>>
File: 1491751231443.jpg (36KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
1491751231443.jpg
36KB, 600x407px
>>54898581
I feel like people only defend the natives in Avatar because of the anti-HFY culture on the board. They should've been nuked from orbit and I hope the second Avatar movie they're supposedly making is only five minutes long showcasing the tribe from the first movie dying horribly to hellfire and radition.
>>
>>54916576
>it is better to die off then destroy other planet and civilization to survive?
That's not better at all. If it's an "us v. them" situation then FUCK them.
>>
File: avatar5.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>54925903
You do realize that your mindless hate on the Na'vi is stupid and pretty much baseless right? For one, the Na'vi certainly have no reason to develop any Einstein, especially since Eywa likely saw what happens when you leave a species with that kind of power unchecked (Humanity is the example) here. Second off, why would they need Einsteins or other human works? What's wrong with their deity providing for them directly, and they are allowed to live their lives without any shady governments watching their every move, and only using them to further their own agendas? You clearly desire to turn this into some manner of "HUMANITY FUCK YEAH!" Story, where there most certainly isn't any reason for there to be one.
>>
File: avatar6.jpg (32KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
32KB, 460x288px
>>54926262
>>54926185
Honestly, posts like these pretty much sums up why Humanity should have just been wiped the fuck out. I would rather nonexistence than this kind of stupidity and mindless inanity being spread everywhere. And it's not helped by the fact that 40k and games like it reinforce this mindset
>>
File: 1462446153834.png (257KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1462446153834.png
257KB, 500x375px
>>54926370
>"people only defend Avatar because of anti-HFY"
>defender of Avatar proceeds to say literally the most anti-HFY thing possible
>>
>>54926316
instead of a government that people can topple, the na'vi have a virtual, unstoppable god meddling with their very thoughts. great, huh?
>What's wrong with their deity providing for them directly
it provides only the bare minimum needed to sustain population of given size. it's like your goverment told you are only allowed to eat potatoes.

i seriously don't get how you, or anyone, can be anti-individualistic?
>>
>>54926370
>Honestly, posts like these pretty much sums up why Humanity should have just been wiped the fuck out. I would rather nonexistence than this kind of stupidity and mindless inanity being spread everywhere. And it's not helped by the fact that 40k and games like it reinforce this mindset
Bitch, the Na'vi could have easily said "yeah, take those floating rocks and you lot can live with it", but no, they're all "we cannot part with any of our shit, it's holy".

If they prioritize that over other people's existences, AND they fail to actually have the means to enforce that, I'm fine with them dying in a "them-or-us" scenario.

I'm also fine with poor people breaking into rich people's houses to steal their shit if they need it to feed their family to survive, but also am perfectly ok if the poor get shot trying to loot. Survival of the fittest, bitches.
>>
>>54904908
>muh noble savage
>muh space injuns dindu nuffin
>muh ebil hyoomen come to pillage, we shouldn't let the guys who actually accomplished something as a species accomplish more, that'll destroy our planet like it totally did theirs because some shitty director decided to go wild with his Rousseau-style nativist piece of bullshit
>gets 2.7 billion B.O because despite the forgettable Pocahontas plot due to 3D gimmick
>>
File: avatar-040_090_48f_4k_rgb.jpg (108KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
108KB, 640x360px
>>54926540
>instead of a government that people can topple
>People toppling any evil governments
>At all.
People don't like any change of status quo, and would gleefully charge and murder any dissenting voice if someone of power told them to do so. Human are fucking retarded, and that's the thing you and other retards who suck on the HFY doing don't seem to get.
>>
>>54926316
What's wrong with being a pet? You have no freedom, no ambition, no advancement in your life or those of your childre. You're merely kept alive due to the whims of a greater being.
But hey at least you get free food and are in tune with nature, based space native-americans.
>>
>>54919552
>Alien Covenant was

Trash. Zero attachment to any of the characters like Alien had. Won't even the touch the science flaws.
>>
>>54925042
>When they die they get uploaded to the mind tree. No issue at all with that.
They still see death as something unpleasant, so being in a living body is obviously a preferable alternative to being uploaded. So the fact that Na'vi are not naturally reborn means Eywa either does not have resources to do that or does not want to, at least on the grand scale. Making an exception for a single person would be a dick move towards all the other dead.
Besides, violating the natural cycle to keep alive what should be dead would be hypocritical as fuck.
>They could probably do it in the fucking womb, yo. Just shove Sully in the mind-tree, then shove him in the fucking fetus.
Can you imagine being a fetus? Just sitting in a dark place, without any sensory information whatsoever, for nine months or how long it takes for blue aliens. He would be braindead himself due to boredom and claustrophobia by the time he is born. Add a couple of years of being unable to talk, walk and shitting yourself and you are golden.
>>
>>54927227
>Besides, violating the natural cycle to keep alive what should be dead would be hypocritical as fuck.

That's you projecting terran hippie environmental stuff onto Eywa and Pandora. Pandora is not natural, it's Eywa's garden, and you can't reason about Pandora that way -- that's what tripped up the corporate douchebag guy, thinking he was dealing with native americans and spiritual beliefs, rather than the beloved children of a planet-wide hive mind that was not at all intangible or metaphorical, but very real.

There's every reason to believe that all Na'vi are uploaded to the tree when they die.
>>
>>54916367
I felt atuned to the flaws of TFA while I was watching it the first time. The whole thing felt like a rehash of Episode 4 but with a worse-written protagonist (not that Luke is great in Episode 4, Reyn is just worse).
>>
File: 71KpvfCqQzL._UL1500_.jpg (405KB, 855x480px) Image search: [Google]
71KpvfCqQzL._UL1500_.jpg
405KB, 855x480px
>>54898581
>tfw Avatar takes place during The Great Crusade but before any of The Primarchs were found
>>
File: 1500518898799.gif (469KB, 512x807px) Image search: [Google]
1500518898799.gif
469KB, 512x807px
>>54925196
>FUCK DRUMPF AND FUCK WHITE PEOPLE
Maybe this is part of why I dislike Avatar, its fans are full of people like this
>>
>>54925542
> Na'vi go full "Humans had their chance but they only bring destruction, get out REEEEEEE"
> Humans go " Fuck everything, we NEED the stuff, and your stagnant poor excuse of a civilisation is not much of a price to pay"
> Things escalate while heroes try to find a compromise
> Weird scene where they negotiate with Eywa in a strange non-verbal way
> Human character make Eywa understand there is merit to humans and if technology can be destructive it's also the only way to go forward
> Eywa realise her precious garden can be vaporised by any cosmological accidents, and humans are the only one able to spread life so it could go on
> Eywa finally chose symbiosis: Pandora will offer unobtainium in exchange of spreading magic trees on every humans colonies, creating new world consciousness
> There may even be some hopes that it could slowing fix Earth
Bonus point if the human character that manage the deal with Eywa is initially the bad guy. Like a dutiful government official delegated to mine strip the fuck of Pandora that got accidentally immerse into Eywa consciousness.
>>
>>54928054

8/10 anon, would watch that.
>>
>>54914308
How about the part where they brought in ground troops to their air raid. Their NUCLEAR air raid. Against enemies with zero ground-to-air capabilities
>>
>>54928054
> "We just want to live!"
> "So do I!"
> "Then what?"
> "We live together!"
> "That's... not how I would have put it, but I get it."
>>
>>54916228
People were acting like it was the greatest movie of all time when it came out which caused hype backlash also Sam Worthington is a pretty bad actor and I hope Cameron replaces him with Liev Schrieber for the sequel
It also really pushed 3D which is pretty contentious on its own
I agree with you though it's a 5 or 6/10 movie and the hatred is completely overblown
>>
>>54916500
I concur
>>
>>54928092
>Splitting the enemy's forces so they can deploy less troops in the air, where they have more of an advantage, is stupid
>>
>>54928339
It doesn't work that way, idiot. Your grunt doesn't suddenly become a pilot if no one is fighting him and likewise your horse clan doesn't suddenly sprout wings without a poorly designed mech to fight. Pretty much every Thundersmurf save the pterodactyl fliers would've been worthless if they stuck solely to an air raid and just carpet bombed the forest.

And again, this is ignoring the fact that they were performing a ground assault on the target they were looking to nuke. It'd be like the US physically occupying Hiroshima and Nagasaki before dropping the bombs.
>>
>>54922461
>if they are labor mechs
They are. The massive guns and knives are after market mods, that's why they have huge canopies and no integrated weapons.
>>
>>54904908
>Na'vi Sigourney weaver
God damn it man I already want to fuck her until I drop dead from exhaustion, why the hell did they do this to me?
>>
>>54926316
>What's wrong with their deity providing for them directly
When the fuck does Eywa do that. The only times Eywa seems to intervene in this awful movie was for the benefit and at the prompting of the gud humans. For all the Navi know what they call Eywa is just the ecstatic state they get when they plug into the trees and the actual hivemind doesn't give a shit about them
>>
File: Neytiri_3286.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_3286.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>54928054
this is probably the best case scenario to be honest
>>
>>54929651
Eywa keeps everything balanced and ensures the na'vi always have what they need (as long as they are willing to work for it)
>>
File: klanledare.jpg (113KB, 480x694px) Image search: [Google]
klanledare.jpg
113KB, 480x694px
>>54923605
>4 meters tall amazon women and possession mind-control sex.

you say this like it's a bad thing
and they are around 3 meter tall
>>
Avatar 2 - The Earth's military lands on Pandora with high-tech war machinery and an army of cybernetic soldiers aka Terminators. It's a brutal war and the Na'vi are massacred. They push the Na'Vi to the brink of extinction and in their desperation the Na'Vi decide to use an ancient threat locked away by their ancestors. The final scene of Avatar 2 would be them breaking into an ancient chamber, the floor covered in eggs, camera does a slow pan up to reveal an Alien Queen. She roars. Cut to black.

>Avatar 3
>Alien facehuggers attach themselves to Pandora animals and we get to see completely new versions that are bigger and deadlier
>new Aliens massacre everything they find, including the Na'vi
>the humans with the help of the Terminators manage to hold them back but their position changed from an offensive one to a defensive one
>the Alien numbers grow out of control and the Na'vi can't defend against them any longer
>humans are close to going down as well
>humans and Na'vi team up
>a huge war devours the planet
>the final shot will be outside the orbit of Pandora
>a spaceship approaches but it doesn't look like something humans would build
>it becomes invisible
>fade to black

>Avatar 4
Humans, Terminators, Aliens and Predators on Pandora fucking shit up.
>>
>>54928054
Isn't that pretty much what they try in those Planet of the Apes movies? There's always that hardline leader or high-ranking fanatic who just can't make peace and chooses war.
>>
>>54928054
so what would a united na'vi/human space empire look like?
The both species seem to have a bit different agenda, the humans want colonies to save their species and expand while the na'vi want to spread Eywa.
I could see the na'vi being the first line both in colonization and warfare thanks to their larger and stronger bodies, supported by human specialists and support from Eywa once it's planted on the colonizing target.
The humans would probably focus on sciences and advancing their species without fucking everything up again and develop colonized planets.
As for government I would assume the humans use some variation of a centralized state, maybe democratic, maybe not and then have their colonies also have self-governance in questions regarding their own society.

cont...
>>
>>54932407
The na'vi would obviously in the end be controlled by Eywa in one way or another but for more "down to earth" life I don't really know, despotic tribal societies doesn't really work on that scale and would make it impossible to coordinate anything substantial. Maybe they'll adopt the human governing system.
Would also be interesting to see how other civilizations reacted to such a expansionist empire, especially one that use terraforming and converts ecosystems to hook them up with a supercomputer/a literal god as a general policy
>>
File: Neyney.jpg (205KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neyney.jpg
205KB, 1920x1080px
would you play RPGs with Neytiri? If yes, what system?
>>
File: 52352526.gif (775KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
52352526.gif
775KB, 1920x1080px
>>54898581
Stagnated traitor/10
>>
File: shocked ney.jpg (227KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shocked ney.jpg
227KB, 1920x1080px
>>54898581
I want to rub Neytiris ears!
>>
>>54920440
Apparently the gear the soldiers used on Pandora is the in-universe equivalent of run-down Soviet Cold War surplus gear today, because the crazy magnetic wonkiness apparently prevents them form using the most advanced stuff because it won't work properly.

The stuff employed on Earth is fucking crazy and they wouldn't stand a chance.
>>
>>54932509
The way I see it, every world seeded with big ass trees would have its own Eywa-like world spirit, not an extension of Eywa.
That could lead to a movie on its own: trying to grow and teach a vague unknowable mind that just get born. Eywa may be kind of savage but it's also old, how would an infant Eywa-like mind would act and learn?

You could even play variants: on the world of X it goes full totalitarian mind control with good intentions and humans don't know if they should kill it before it grow too large to try again or try to teach it harder, on another the world spirit is too much pusillanimous and don't dare to do what it's supposed to do out of fear of breaking the more fragile bodies or minds of individuals, another could go full feral and favour animals, etc.

The difficult part would be to keep them sufficiently mystical and alien.
>>
>>54932407
>I could see the na'vi being the first line both in colonization and warfare thanks to their larger and stronger bodies,
I think the Na'vi are only taller because of the lower gravity on Pandora. Na'vi would have more leverage because of their height but in terms of overall strength, Humans would probably have an equal or higher muscle density, since earth has higher gravity, and we evolved for a higher gravity environment.

>>54932960
It's not a Tabletop RPG, but an open world Avatar Video Game is in the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bkq78d9G7c&ab_channel=GameNewsOfficial
>>
>>54903858
Thats like asking muslims if you can dig ore under their black box. Or asking the jews if you can dig ore under the west temple wall
>>
>>54933191

I will never not find funny how people got so outraged over this movie they made HFY as a genre.
>>
>>54921118
>30 seconds of hellfire
>30 seconds of naivi crying out as radiation and dead planet kills tem
>next shot shows cruisers closing in on a burning planet shooting out harvesting pods
>flash forward 20 years
>an advertisement telling people to come to planet to find their fortune
>the major mining corporations moved on
>planet burned out and is now a desert with some minor settlements
>meet new protagonist who is an unobtainium cowboy dealing with betrayal and brotherhood as he is mining with his boys
>>
File: Neytiri_7321.jpg (372KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_7321.jpg
372KB, 1920x1080px
>>54935305
you could absolutely do something with it. I think they can be kept alien by not explaining how they work and spread on new planets. As well as being real intelligent beings that are hard to contact directly. As far as we know there might only be na'vi women with a certain inclination that can even interpret Eywa, becoming matriarchs.

>>54934784
Earth in the avatar universe is also practically dead, what's even worse is that the mineral the movie is about can't help earth recover, it's used to build maglev-trains. By all logic earth and human civilization is in its death throes, the only real chance to preserve a small part of humanity is for some humans to escape to pandora
>>
File: Borderlands Pandora.png (633KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Borderlands Pandora.png
633KB, 1024x512px
>>54935749
I played that game.
>>
>>54919517
More like he leaped at the chance best he could with his crippled legs because he wanted to be able to walk and run again.
"Shoved" my ass, Jake was asked if he wanted the job, he took it, and proceeded to fuck it up thoroughly.
>>
>>54935904

earth is just fine, artificial biospheres are a thing
>>
>>54935966
>earth is just fine

Anon I...
>>54924302
>>
>>54936015

>stable artificial biosphere
>despite the vastly inflated population they are easily fed through algae farms
>enough energy to go around and power all that shit, maybe even eventual recultivation

fell for a really shitty green aesop there, buddy
>>
>>54935946
where did I mention shitty memes and cringy references?
>>
>>54916747
>tyranid origin story
>>
>>54936046
it's not really a stable biosphere when the only organic matter is humans, algae and microscopic life. At the contrary it's hanging on a thread and can collapse completely very easily.
If the algae got attacked by something that cause crop failure it would both spread like wildfire since there is literally only one kind of plant being cultivated (or even alive) and cause global famine that would absolutely wreck havoc on humanity.
I'll give you energy, they have to had found some amazing energy source to keep things running, but recultivation? Nah, you can't bring back plants and animals that are eradicated regardless of how much energy you have.
Not to mention the lack of ozone, nuclear war and environmental terror
>>
>>54936376

If they have the biotech to run algae farms they have the biotech to fix them.

>since there is literally only one kind of plant being cultivated

Assumption

>Nah, you can't bring back plants and animals that are eradicated regardless of how much energy you have.

You can. Cloning, biotech etc. Recultivation is only a matter of energy.
>>
>>54916576
>progressed morally and decided that it is better to die off then destroy other planet and civilization to survive
That's not progress, my friend. It's a change, to be sure, but it isn't progress.
>>
>>54923706
40K has about as "smart" of politics as Avatar,to be honest.and about as fleshed out humans to boot.
>>
>>54926725
>People toppling any evil governments
>>At all.
>People don't like any change of status quo,
So I guess what's going on in Venezuela right now is just performance art?
>>
File: IMG_1183.jpg (35KB, 339x434px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1183.jpg
35KB, 339x434px
I don't care much about who is right. The "human pollute the planet" Aesop is pretty much hamfisted in the movie. The MC and the girl is pretty Pocahontas ripoff and even come with the same tribal "fiancé" dude hating the MC and his race. However this guy was a fucking badass who was just trying to do his job and used mecha to fight off physically stronger aliens. He was simply the only character memorable for me in the film.
>>
File: Quaritch.jpg (178KB, 853x480px)
Quaritch.jpg
178KB, 853x480px
>>54937046
Cameron already confirmed that this guy will be in all the sequels. You know what that means...
>>
File: Neytiri_1036.jpg (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1036.jpg
236KB, 1920x1080px
>>54936567
we can grow algae for human consumption with today's tech https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaculture .
But we don't have advanced future tech that can restore dead species to life, you can't clone something that has been eradicated since there is nothing to clone.
Of course this is sci-fi and for all we know the humans can actually do that. The problem is that the source material isn't fleshed out enough to support advanced theories so things tend to become headcanon and speculations, not that those things aren't fun and interesting to take part of but they are just speculation in the end and probably not what Cameron is going for in the sequels.
>>
>>54937086
>implying that eywa won't have suborned his intelligence and put him in a navi body
>>
>>54898581
Level 1 blue space nigger
>>
>>54937086
How though? Pretty sure he died.
>>
>>54937379
>implying there isn't another powerful force on Pandora with similar abilities as Eywa but with different goals

the question is, what would this force want?
>>
>>54935305
>humans collect the World Tree genetic material
>create multiple Eywa clones
>indoctrinate them, teaching to value the superior human way of profit and expansion
>plant them on Pandora
>wildlife goes insane because of all the conflicting orders, animals tear each other apart
>clones go full Eywa Series on the original, forcing it to surrender
>Na'vi are terrified and pray to Eywa for guidance and protection, only to hear unfamiliar voices in response, promising safety and peace
>a few year later former savages succumb to the whisperings of clone gods, climb off their high horse and embrace the progress
>>
>>54928419
It wasn't a nuke, you idiot. It was a bundle of Mining charges meant to be dropped on a single specific tree. The rest of the ground forces were deployed to round up the surviving Na'vi, so they couldn't run off like the first time they bombed the tree. They wanted to crush the Na'vi entirely, maybe even genocide them.

Its more like Vietnam, with the US bombing a area, and then rooting out any one that survived.
>>
>>54937429
Crashing this moon...with no survivors!
>>
>>54937850
I'm pretty sure he outright called it a nuclear payload. Regardless, there was no reason to send ground troops since, unlike Vietnam, the Navi had zero ground-to-air capabilities
>>
>>54937820
You can't clone a whole planet anon. Elywe is the composite of all life on the planet, and holds the sum of all its creatures memories for thousands upon thousands of years. Trying to plug a new brain into it probably would have it see that humans are assholes.
>>
>>54937925
Except for the fact that, like I said, they wanted to crush the gathering army inside of the foilage. If they only just bombed the tree, the Na'vi would still have their armies, which could go on to hurt them.
>>
File: 1342706539273.gif (903KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1342706539273.gif
903KB, 400x300px
>Yfw Humanity just starts planet cracking from orbit and the Na'vi and those traitorous bastards can only watch as Pandora slowly dies.
>>
Imagine na'vis with vehicles they can connect with and drive using their queue
>>
>>54938042
>Change my oil Jake.
>Fuck you, I don't have the money.
>CHANGE MY FUCKING OIL, JAKE!"
>>
>>54937939
>Trying to plug a new brain into it probably would have it see that humans are assholes.
>Implying it didn't see this from its peek into Grace's head, and how the RDA went about their 'work'
>>
>>54916228
Because humanity in Avatar is pretty standard 'good' science fiction humanity.

Sure, mankind has fucked earth. But mankind survived, united itself, developed new and wondrous technologies, and is starting to colonize the stars. It just needs that new room temperature supraconductor called Unobtainium to become something so much more, so grandiose. Something poetic.

Avatar's humanity isn't full of Nazis. Humans aren't particularly vile, and indeed the way technology and most of the humans are presented during the story, humanity is bright, full of people going forward even when the earth suffered an apocalypse. They are a race that you can't help but deeply respect for what they have done.

The sheer cognitive dissonance between a humanity that is shown to be highly respectable - almost on the level of Star Trek, and the story that portray them as invaders, is what most people hate in Avatar. The Na'vi aren't particularly respectable. They aren't particularly bright. They sure are 3 meters tall amazons with impossible strength, but they are just savages in the end, that win through plot convenience.
>>
>>54938362
>Avatar's humanity isn't full of Nazis. Humans aren't particularly vile, and indeed the way technology and most of the humans are presented during the story, humanity is bright, full of people going forward even when the earth suffered an apocalypse. They are a race that you can't help but deeply respect for what they have done.
How about not go apeshit and fail to murder a bunch of savages for the shiney rocks they could get all over the planet, because they wanted the shiniest rocks?

That's not even the part that's deplorable. The deplorable part is that they failed on multiple levels. They fucked up the diplomacy, had no oversight on it, they fucked up the military, and they fucked up getting the shiny rocks because of short sighted capitalistic greed. Had they just decided to take another shot at diplomacy or try even reasonable tactics, then it wouldn't even be so bad. But no, they screwed the pooch and basically fucked up their one good chance of getting the unobtanium back to earth to help with the colonisation project. Because they fucked up, probably millions on earth will die.

That's what's so fucking terrible. They're fucking incompetent.
>>
>>54915750
Uploading a human brain into a hybridized Na'vi/Human body is far more difficult than building a small plug that interface with a port that already exist. Remember: that port already allows Na'vi to share sensory input/outputs, receive instructions, mind merge, and do that kind of stuff. A small plugin that forces the mind 'firewalls' and transforms the Na'vi into compliant slaves would be buildable by 21st century humanity. You're just using biological pathways that exist.

>>54916561
Yes, if humanity is consistently portrayed as good guys, like Avatar consistently portrays humanity, you can't do the mind-slave stuff. Of course.

But if humanity wanted to have already acclimated slaves, and have them efficiently, and was willing to be slightly more ruthless that in Avatar where they are presented like genuinely great guys all around, most Na'vi would have been exterminated or plugged to the drone system years ago.
>>
>>54938729
>They fucked up the diplomacy
No, Jake fucked up on diplomacy. They sent him in to gain their trust and negotiate but instead faf'd about. Then in the end they were going to send in the military but the CEO decided to give diplomacy another chance and once again Jake did nothing. Jake literally was single handedly responsible for the entire conflict.
>>
>>54938729
Please read >>54916500

Honestly, humanity in Avatar did everything by the book (the very fact that the Na'vi weren't nuked is a proof), and are pretty good guys all around. The hero is retarded, but that's only him.
>>
>>54937973
So you create a perimeter and strike when their morale is low from losing their tree instead of assaulting at the same time. Maybe then you can spare a few more guards for the fucking bomber shuttle that was taken down by a single naked thundercat with a stick since you had like three dudes and zero mechs riding along with it.
>>
>>54938793
>>54938828
>No, Jake fucked up on diplomacy
>HURR IT'S ALL JAKES FAULT
I get the feeling you guys fid the even watch the movie. Jake didn't do anything wrong by any stretch, he most certainly wasn't the one trying to destroy an important part of the Na'vi's culture just to get extra shiny space rocks, nor was he murdering *children*. Just fucking stop talking if you don't know anything about what is being discussed.
>>
>>54939671
>Jake, go negotiate to get them out of the tree or else we're going to resort to military options
>Ok
>Many months later
>Jake, why haven't you been negotiating? Now we have to bomb them
>OMG, YOU GUYS ARE MONSTERS.
>>
>>54939671
The whole end of the movie was probably seriously illegal action on the corporation's part.
>>
>>54939671
All Jake did was make Earth and humanity even more desperate for resources meaning now they're going to come back with actual military units rather than mercs. Congrats Jake, you just doomed Pandora to Nuclear fire.
>>
>>54939778

Dude, they only wanted that shit to build trains. Fucking trains!
This is not Earth's last stand, this is a greedy corporation fucking up royal on its mining permit. (and probably getting caught and busted for doing so after that ending)
>>
>>54931700
>Eywa keeps everything balanced and ensures the na'vi always have what they need
Except for how Eywa doesn't do shit for the Navi to defend them from an invasive species until one of the humans tell it too. By the weight of evidence Navi may just be a population check on the megafauna who have ideas above their station.
>>
>>54916747
>>54916614
problem is that humanity has access to ships that reach 0.7c
if the planet gets to big to handle they could always send over one of their ships without braking

planet can't do anything about that and it'll leave a Chicxulub crater right where it's brain used to be
>>
>>54939823

Eywa is a massive neural network, and probably hyperintelligent to boot, but it's also widely distrubuted across the continent and so it likely thinks on slower time scale than we're used to. It probably viewed the humans as an interesting development, but nothing much to worry about, until Grace entered and informed Eywa of what the humans were prepared to do.
>>
>>54938362
>good guys
>committing genocide to dig a few rocks and earn shekels

the RDA leadership saw the na'vi as animals and was very eager to eradicate them once they got in the way. The colonel basically admits he thinks diplomacy is a waste of time and wants the na'vi out of the way by any means.
Their idea of diplomacy is also "either you leave your lands and never come back or we kill you", in other words gunboat """diplomacy"""

>>54938769
at least use the good 3D model(s), and na'vi brains aren't computers and Eywa doesn't mind control them, whatever influence Eywa has over the na'vi is most likely conditioning
>>
>>54939862
>Eywa is a massive hyper-intelligent neural net who doesn't care that something is cutting down and burning off its neural nodes until someone other than the Navi tell it to care
Eywa is fucking retarded and so are materialists trying to invent for themselves a new god.
>>
>>54939913

But they weren't cutting down and burning off its neural nodes yet, they were about to, which is what the ending was all about.

Eywa was probably vaguely aware that there were some interesting creatures on a small part of the continent who must have come from outside, and probably wanted to keep an eye on things, but it also runs the entire planet, and as I said it probably thinks more slowly and deliberately than a human would. Especially since it probably takes several minutes for a message to go from one end of the brain to the farthest end. Coming to a decision on something may take a while when your brain is spread out over an entire planet's landmass.
>>
>>54939913
>trying to invent for themselves a new god.
Where the hell did that come from? It's a fairly good description of what the massive tree brain is.
Still, I'm more on the "Main character is a fucking idiot" side of the argument. All he had to do was bring the matter up in the first day or two and he could have sorted at least SOME mitigating deal out.

I've been reading the Uplift Trilogy, and that has a cool type of vines in it that form what's essentially a trading cartel, transporting surplus minerals to pools around the forest to trade for required ones. I can kind of see the Treemind as one of those kind of networks a billion or so years down the line.
>>
>>54939867

Yeah, its not like, the humans were bothering with the entire fucking avatar program or anything. They could have just started dropping rocks from space from day one and the na'vi couldnt do anything about it.
>>
>>54940021
Anon how do you think the human camp got built in the middle of the jungle without them cutting down and burning off the jungle vegetation?
>>54940032
Where do you think it comes from? The way Eywa is consistently described in spiritual terms and is given woowoo powers maybe?
>>
>>54940063

Except that that would probably have resulted in them all being arrested as soon as they returned to Earth. The corp had a grant of mining rights, not a declaration of war. The Earth was just as interested in the biosphere as they were the unobtainium for their maglev train make-work project.

>>54940098
Jungle vegetation is unimportant, it's the one type of tree roots that matter. And even if they dug up a few of those Eywa would likely not notice, any more than you notice when a few brain cells die, which happens all the time.

Blowing up a primary tree, however, would be like suffering a stroke.
>>
>>54940142

>Except that that would probably have resulted in them all being arrested as soon as they returned to Earth. The corp had a grant of mining rights, not a declaration of war.

Which is an incredibly contrived bullshit reason just to prevent the humans from actually doing anything despite their vastly superior position while the na'vi can wail on them full force. Essentially humans are not allowed to hit back cause that would end the conflit.

>The corp had a grant of mining rights, not a declaration of war.

Assumption. They had shit loads of security over there. It was clear they had the hardware and the possiblity to the defend themselves from anything the planet can throw at them except writer fiat.

>they were the unobtainium for their maglev train make-work project.

They backtracked on that and told unobtanium is a room temperature superconductor needed for fusion to keep powering earth. Not like it really matters, everything in the background is poorly written and nothing makes sense.
>>
>>54940063
the RDA leadership states several times in the movie that they think the avatar program is a waste of time and money, it probably only existed as a way to satisfy the scientific community on earth and by off chance discover something that could help humanity.

Something I think is really important to point out is also that the RDA does not represent humanity as a whole in-universe, they are a mining corporation that hires mercenaries. There is really no reason to root for the RDA since they are just there to mine a component needed in their trains.

>>54940098
>Where do you think it comes from? The way Eywa is consistently described in spiritual terms and is given woowoo powers maybe?

that's because it's how the na'vi see and interpret the moon that both created them and made sure they are intimately connected to it.
Of course they'll see it as a god
>>
>>54940311

Who else is there to root for? A deserter and race traitor? Some 2cool2care pilot?

Quaritch was the only character with any sort of intensity and drive in the entire movie. Oddly enough I sorta gave a shit about Tsu'tey. He had quite a lot reasons to be asshurt.
>>
>>54940271
>Assumption

No, extrapolation from the facts given in the movie. They made it pretty clear that they have to worry about what Earth thinks about what they do. You can call it "contrived bullshit" all you want but it's still an important component of the plot. Ignoring it is why you think the movie makes no sense.
>>
File: Neytiri_1995.jpg (263KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1995.jpg
263KB, 1920x1080px
>>54940385
Eywa
Neytiri
you're pretty much on point with Tsu'tey, I'm pretty sure he never actually loved Neytiri since he was going to mate with her older sister that unfortunately got killed in a school-shooting but he seemed like a nice guy
>>
>>54940439

>No, extrapolation from the facts given in the movie

So assumption.

The movie makes no sense no matter what way are you trying to spin and what ridiculous headcanon you use trying to justify it.
>>
>>54938793
>>54938828
>>54939744
>jake fucked up this, jake fucked up that
boo fucking hoo
You send a fucking jarhead to do diplomacy, you don't give him orders, you bother even keeping an eye on him, and guess what?

HE FUCKS UP BECAUSE HE WANTS TO GET HIS FUCKING DICK WET, HE'S A FUCKING JARHEAD

That right there? That's negligence on the company's fault. That's the human flaw. If they'd even bothered reading his FUCKING RECORDED DIARY they'd know far before then that he's not getting the fucking job done.

YOU ENTRUSTED THE FATE OF THE HUMAN RACE ON A FUCKING IDIOT, AND THE IDIOT FUCKED UP. WHAT DID YOU FUCKING EXPECT NOW MILLIONS ARE GOING TO DIE BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T BOTHER GIVING HIM A FUCKING CAMERA RIG AND TOLD HIM TO KEEP IT FUCKING ON
>>
>>54940385
Hitler also had intensity and drive.
>>
>>54940609

And his life would make a pretty interesting story. Your point?
>>
>>54940660
You were talking about who to root for. You just confirmed that you also would have rooted for Hitler.

I have the feeling many immature people think being interesting/cool is the same as being good.
>>
>>54940609
Soo... the movie would have been improved if it had included Hitler as a character? Former army Corporal, charismatic enough to rally the unwashed masses, sees violence as a legitimate means of pursuing his political (or other) goals.
Yeah, I think the movie would have been a lot better if Jake had been replaced with Hitler.
>>
>>54939867
>the RDA leadership saw the na'vi as animals and was very eager to eradicate them once they got in the way.

But they didn't. Humanity as a whole bothered with the Avatar program and didn't kill them all in orbit, even though it would have been so much easier. They had the resources. They had the tech. They didn't.

That is the root cognitive dissonance. The RDA and the colonel are (maybe) presented as 'evil', but humanity as a whole, and the technology associated with it, and the scientifics, and the public,and the mining operators, are presented as basically highly respectable guys. The very fact that the Na'vi weren't nuked into oblivion, and the fucking schools (!!!) is a proof that humanity tried above and beyond the call of duty.

When your savages rebel against civilized, cool people who honestly only want their survivals and tried every diplomatic way possible, your savages don't really appear to be the heroes of the story.
>>
>>54940602

This also proves how fundamentally illogical and stupid the movie is. They didnt start the avatar program yesterday. Grace already had some sort of school set up, they spoke na'vi, they knew their shit around. How come no one ever brought up "hey Jake, how is your mission going?" how there were no checks or reports on his activity and how no one ever tried to conduct diplomacy with the na'vi, including Jake himself. He literally just faffs around till the morning the machines are already coming before telling anything.

Everything, literally every little stupid detail is just there to enable the "big bad humies cutting down forests" plot. Its ferngully with a bigger budget, the CGI just makes people think there is more behind it.
>>
>>54940532

>assumption

You don't seem to know what that word means. The movie makes a hell of a lot more sense than you are currently giving it credit for.
>>
>>54940711

Maybe its a surprise to you, but most people prefer interesting and cool characters in their movies compared to limpwristed, whiny faggots who shirk their duty and desert. Quaritch had the most positive qualities of any humans in the movie.
>>
>>54940724
>Soo... the movie would have been improved if it had included Hitler as a character? Former army Corporal, charismatic enough to rally the unwashed masses, sees violence as a legitimate means of pursuing his political (or other) goals.

Pointedly yes.

The humans need a true evil character. Not a colonel that is slightly racist but not really and want humanity's survival. The movie needs to really prove that the Na'vi aren't little shiters.

A Hitler-like villain for the RDA, maybe a profoundly moustache twirling villain with an evil laugh would have made the film bearable.
>>
>>54940781
>Quaritch had the most positive qualities of any humans in the movie.

lol fucking kids these days. Sure he had some positive qualities like his determination, but sadly he used it like an asshole. He had no problems destroying the home of an entire tribe and killing a bunch of them just so the company that employs him can jew the planet. Dude was straight-up gun and war crazy. If you prefer the cool "alpha" dictator who is an immoral and violent asshole over the peace seeker just because in your eyes he isn't cool enough then you are a fucking retard. Nice priorities you got there.
>>
>>54940886

Corporate douchebag guy didn't do it for you? I know a lot of people derided him as a moustache-twirling silent film villain. (Though I'd consider him pretty realistic considering I've met a dude IRL that was like that)
>>
>>54940911

>determined guy cares more about honor, integrity, strength, cohesion and getting the job done and ensuring the survival of humanity than some alien buffoons

Yeah, totally. What an evil villain. We were totally supposed to be the MUH PEES smurfs(who were actually violent tribals) or the supposed marine who deserted for poon. Hell. the colonel was hundred times the marine jake was.

>>54940931

He wasnt even a character, just a badly written hate sink.
>>
File: Neytiri_2180.jpg (210KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_2180.jpg
210KB, 1920x1080px
>>54940727
Yes, the humans themselves aren't evil. SOME humans are evil and they get what they deserve.
There was major goodwill in the humans, most didn't want any conflict with the na'vi, there was just a couple of humans (and na'vi that attacked bulldozers that cleared jungle) that decided to attack the school and kill na'vi children.
The entire diplomacy episode was mishandled from the beginning, the RDA leadership had no interest in giving way to the na'vi, the na'vi where very suspicious towards the humans after they had attacked their children and Jake who got distracted by Neytiri (fully understandable to be honest)
>>
File: maxresdefault (44).jpg (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (44).jpg
124KB, 1920x1080px
>>54940781
>Quaritch had the most positive qualities of any humans in the movie
Yes I'm certain that being fucking Insane and murdering woman and children is a "positive quality", Reddit. Just like being a convicted pedo is a "positive" quality right?
>>
>>54941028

Yeah, youre trying too hard to troll now.
>>
>>54941023
>fully understandable to be honest
I get his motive, yeah, he's just got the use of his legs back, but that's not really a forgivable error to THAT scale. "Oh, I got a whole bunch of people killed and caused irreparable damage to ayy relations because I spent the ENTIRE PROJECT mooning after some Na'vi girl. I'm sure people will be fine with this because love".
>>
>>54940991
What are you talking about? Survivial of humanity? The RDA mined on Pandora for their own reasons. They didn't represent any government, they are a company that wants to make profit. They used that material back on Earth to build shit. Their motivation was purely capitalistic in nature. Had nothing to do with saving humanity. lol where did you even get that?
What's honorable about being an invading force and mudering the natives of the land you occupy? And whether you consider them hippies or savages doesn't matter. They are a sentient and sapient species. I guess they should have bent the knee because the invaders were humans and you are humans so you supported your group no matter their actions. Easier to be with than against.
And what job did he get done? Getting dozens of his men killed and losing the facility? He was in charge of security on Pandora and in the end even armed the miners to have more soldiers on the ground. He was thirsty for war and his judgment was impaired. He may have been a better soldier than Jake but if your reason to support him is "he can make fight and pew pew better" then your footing is weak as fuck.
>>
>>54941023
The issue is that the film doesn't present a story about the disastrous consequences of bigotry and personal stupidity in first contact.

That? That would have been awesome. Okay mankind and the Na'vi both fucked up. Lots of people getting killed, everything gone wrong because of racism, now we will try to see what happens and make a better future for everyone. Or everything really go to shit, and that's sad, and that's war, and it activates your almond because all the humans are gruesomely killed for a misunderstanding.

Instead we get Pocahontas, but the native tribes are not the good guys and the 'villains' objectively are. That's why people are peeved by that movie.
>>
>>54941136

Be fair now, everyone else helped.
>>
>>54941146
>The issue is that the film doesn't present a story about the disastrous consequences of bigotry and personal stupidity in first contact.

Funny, 'cause that's basically what I got out of the movie. Most of the humans are good, apart from corporate douchebag guy who can only see a bunch of hippies chaining themselves to a tree because that's what he expects to see, and Quaritch who's just kind of a heartless asshole.
The disaster happens largely because of mistakes and the short sightedness of those aforementioned characters, as well as Jake, yes, fucking up -- he's not the hero of the story, Sigourney Weaver's character is. Jake is the guy you think is going to be the hero, but he just screws up and gets a lot of people killed because he doesn't know what he's doing. Like baby
>>
>>54941147
Yeah, everyone else was pretty incompetent too, but he didn't even TRY to do his job at all despite having plenty of time. I mean, I'm a lazy fuck, but given you've been told full well everything will kick off if you don't have a conversation would probably be a good enough reason for me to go talk to some chief dude. Hell, it's not even his real body, what can they do to him if they try to shoot the messenger?
>>
>>54941085
What part of "ordering an airstrike on civilians" is a positive quality?

The part where he drinks coffee while he slaughters them?

Civilian genocide isn't cool, bro. Frankly, all you had to do is just give advance notice you're going to shell the village that they're in to displace them and then firebomb the forest around it, and set up killzones to let them die on your defenses when they come at you for killing their sacred computer tree that housed their uploaded ancestors. That's a lot more legitimate than launching punitive strikes that get your entire air force wiped out and ground troops overrun.
>>
>>54941236

I think Jake thought he could stall for time. Boy was he wrong.
>>
>>54926587
>they're all "we cannot part with any of our shit, it's holy".

Oh you mean that huge tree that was literally their home? Sure just surrender it to those invaders because underneath that home is some rock thing they really want for some reason. I am sure you would also gladly surrender your home if Exxon found oil under it and told you to fuck off under threat of violence. Just give it up to them. Don't be all "I cannot part with any of my shit, it's holy!" Your reasons and needs are minor compared to theirs.
>>
>>54940738
>how there were no checks or reports on his activity
Every time Jake recorded himself, the humans were able to watch the video. That's why they attack--because Jake admits in one of his videos that he's not doing his job and that the Na'vi don't want anything they have to offer and will refuse any attempts at diplomacy because humans are different.
>>
File: Neytiri_1713.jpg (299KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1713.jpg
299KB, 1920x1080px
>>54941136
So how would he manage both dating Neytiri and do diplomacy? Keep in mind Neytiri is really the one that pushes him with rigorous exercise and teaching.
Maybe invite her to hells gate to make her understand the humans better?
>>
>>54940911
>One human soldier is willing to kill a single tribe of aliens to secure the continued survival of his entire species, after exhausting every attempt at a peaceful solution available
>"Wow what an evil human guy"
>Aliens are willing to condemn an entire species to extinction without ever engaging in a single moment of diplomacy
>"Wow poor oppressed aliens I'm so glad they killed a bunch of humans!"

Quaritch was a fucking hero.
>>
>>54941229
>Quaritch who's kind of a heartless asshole
Keep in mind he's been on-planet for quite a while now. A planet that has been determinedly attempting to kill him and his men since the moment they set foot there.
>>
>>54941409

Imagine having an actual nuanced first contact movie with the same level of visuals instead of the schlock we got.
>>
>>54941437
>condemn an entire species to extinction

But the Earth wasn't going to die without that rock, or they wouldn't have sent a corporate mining mission with scummy mercs for security.

>>54941461

Yeah, that can do it. There are plenty of historical predecessors for Quaritch. His real problem is a lack of perspective, the guy can't think clearly when it comes to the natives anymore. But at least he has a better excuse than corporate "Eywa is just hippie tree worship nonsense" guy.
>>
>>54940609
He also had humanity's best interests at heart and tried to remove a subhuman parasite that was halting our species' collective advancement. Your point?
>>
>>54941409
Is that a legit way to hold a bow?
>>
>>54941528

>Hitler did nothing wrong
>>
>>54941437
>secure the continued survival of his entire species
Where do you people get that what the RDA did on Pandora was for the survival of the human race? There was literally a scene in the movie where they talked about share holders. They wanted the stuff to make profit on Earth.

>after exhausting every attempt at a peaceful solution available
And then after the aliens said no they humans should have left them alone. The humans weren't invited. They were literally hostile invaders. "Give us what we want or there will be blood" is rarely something you'd here coming out of a good guy's mouth.

It was the aliens' right to refuse them even if it meant the humans' demise. They have no obligation to help them. Especially not if the reason is greed. It's not survival like you keep saying. Even if it was still doesn't make it right. But it wasn't.

How many hundreds of thousands of Muslims are dying over there in the Middle East? If they invade the West should we let them because their lives depend on it? If we say no and they threaten us with violence and conduct killings and attacks, are they in the right? No. Same in the movie. Invaders want something, don't get it, become violent. You only rooted for the humans because you are a human.
>>
>>54941409
Okay, story change that just works. Objectively. Prove me wrong.

Humans have a moustache twirling Hitler. Not the barely acknowledged RDA official that no one can even remember, but a competent villain that doesn't even consider the Na'vi as sentient, and actually has a plan to enslave/kill them all.

The Na'vi has a mega-racist deluded kill all the human character. Not that other Na'vi I can't even remember, but a real, powerful tribal chief.

Jake knows that the Na'vi can't realistically fight against the humans, and is trying to salvage the situation. This makes his position difficult: human!Hitler doesn't want peace, and Na'vi!racist!chief doesn't want it either.

At the beginning Neytiri is racist and does not comprehend humans, but Jake shows her the human camp, and she understand that the Na'vi have no chances against the humans either, and that cooperation is the only way forward.

Big fight. Lots of people getting killed. After an initial surprise attack by Na'vi!chief!racist that kill a lot of humans, human!Hitler uses that pretext to order retaliation. Absurd amount of Na'vi being killed. It is planetary war, and it is ugly.

Lots of combat, fights, action scenes. After all that, and the climax of the movie where both Na'vi!chief!racist and human!Hitler are killed, possibly by their own staff for human!Hitler, they both reach an agreement on the mountain of corpses left by the first interstellar war. An allegory about the danger of bigotry and all that.

The fucking FIN.
>>
File: Neytiri_1642.jpg (322KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1642.jpg
322KB, 1920x1080px
>>54941536
Neytiri does slap his arm after he caught her rubbing up on him but that might be because of that and not for poor form.
>>
>>54941536
Maybe for their alien anatomy. Who knows.
>>
>>54941554
>Where do you people get that what the RDA did on Pandora was for the survival of the human race? There was literally a scene in the movie where they talked about share holders. They wanted the stuff to make profit on Earth.

The Avatar hate meme has taken on a life of its own at this point.
>>
>>54941545
He lost.
>>
>>54941488
>Earth wasn't going to die without that rock
According to the actual script that got released quite a while back, it was. I think. I admit it's been a while.
>>
>>54941554
>They have no obligation to help them
And humans have no obligation to let them live.
>>
File: Neytiri_1772.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_1772.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>54941592
solid message, doesn't take sides, is realistic, features Neytiri prominently. Add Eywa as it is and it's great
>>
>>54941615

Depends on the revision. The unobtainium was either for maglev trains, IE a make work project to prevent jobless riots, or for better fusion reactors for cheap power. The first would mitigate some of the problems for a while, the second would help Earth get a little better.
Neither would really fix the planet's problems, though, which is apparently why the mining corp was required to bring along a science team for researching the natives and the flora and fauna.
>>
>>54941614
Also got involved in a landwar in Russia during winter. That was a pretty big fuckup.
>>
>>54941640
>sure they can be murderers if it suits them

Nice. Seriously though that's probably the most sociopathic thing I've ever read on /tg/. What a disgrace.
>>
>>54941687
>Most sociopathic thing I've ever read on /tg/
Not saying much as you apparently got here yesterday.
>>
File: DarkHadon't.png (336KB, 853x469px) Image search: [Google]
DarkHadon't.png
336KB, 853x469px
>>54941687
>Murderers
Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
>>
>>54941669
I swear I read one where the unobtanium was to make more ships so they could colonize other planets. Is that just the passage of time taking its toll?
>>
>>54941731
They weren't like animals. They had language and culture. They're sapient creatures just like humans.
>>
>>54941771
No it's true that they also needed it to make the antimatter engines of the spaceships. Or fuel for them, I can't remember.
>>
>>54941681
I figured that was obvious, but then I always forget that commies actively despise history
>>
>>54941771
>>54941803
I doubt this, there isn't any talk about any other space travel other than between Earth and Pandora, the entire unobtanium question is silly since the main reason the humans are there isn't even explained beyond "the stockholders want it and it's valuable"
>>
>>54941773
>They weren't like animals
No, they're less than animals. They were nothing more than computer programs. Highly advanced NPCs for the bored PC with console commands that is Eywa.
>>
>>54941885
>On Pandora, the magnetic effect causes huge outcroppings of unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in magnetic vortices. These huge "islands", named Hallelujah Mountains by Earth's explorers, are called Thundering Rocks by the Na'vi, who hold them sacred. The unique magnetic properties of unobtanium are used to contain and direct the energy of the matter-antimatter annihilation which propels ships like ISV Venture Star.

From the official "Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide".
>>
>>54941885
Not in the final product, no, but there's--apparently several--revisions of scripts that explicitly stated why they wanted it, and since it wasn't stated in the movie (probably because that would've thrown too much grey into the situation) that's the only information we have.
>>
>>54941928
>Eywa
You mean that thing the humans didn't even know existed?
>>
>>54941885
>>54941944
It was stated loosely in the movie. Something to the effect of"this is the single most valuable rock to the human race" like right before the shareholders line
>>
>>54939822
Don't tell me you don't like trains.
>>
>>54941959
I'm not talking about the movie's plot, I'm just saying Navi are just organic robots miming sapience
>>
>>54941885
It's room temperature supraconductor, mate.

As a scientist, if we discovered a way to generate room temperature supraconductors at the cost of human virgin blood, I would petition for a yearly culling of 20% of the earth's virgin population.

By very nature, any ordeal that mines room temperature supraconductors change the human race for the better. It's not "now we're mining gold". It's "now we're mining transistors in a society that never had before. Look at those cpus! And those computers! And that internet! And now we have facebook. Crap." It's world changing stuff.
>>
>The RDA has monopoly rights to all products shipped, derived, or developed from Pandora and any other off-Earth location. These rights were granted to the RDA in perpetuity by the Interplanetary Commerce Administration (ICA), with the stipulation that they abide by a treaty that prohibits weapons of mass destruction and limits military power in space.
>>
File: Neytiri_2286.jpg (298KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_2286.jpg
298KB, 1920x1080px
>>54941941
>>54941944
Alright, I've never actually found a copy of the survival guide but I would consider it to be canon. It sure sheds light on the situation

>>54941997
they aren't though, they are created by Eywa since it created everything on Pandora, but that's it.
>>
>>54942041

Oops, link:
http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Resources_Development_Administration
>>
>>54942051

The Na'vi are special, though, since they get to become part of Eywa when they die.
>>
>>54939822
That's not what they meant when they said it was a superconductor, m8
>>
>>54942051
>they aren't though, they are created by Eywa since it created everything on Pandora, but that's it.

We don't know that. The origin of the mind supercluster called Eywa is unknown. Maybe we'll learn more in the sequels but I'd like it to remain a mystery.
>>
File: amp_knife_1.jpg (26KB, 508x284px) Image search: [Google]
amp_knife_1.jpg
26KB, 508x284px
>>54940439
The movie went literally autistic and had giant mecha knives for their mercs.
That pretty much implies that they came pretty prepared.
>>
>>54942131
Every modern soldier is equipped with a knife you moron. If your main weapon is out of ammo or malfunctions or you are in close combat or surrounded by friendlies a knife comes in really fucking handy. Plus they could use it like machetes in the jungle. There are some big ass vines on Pandora.
>>
File: Neytiri_2324.jpg (212KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_2324.jpg
212KB, 1920x1080px
>>54942074
alright, correction. Eywa considers the na'vi it's children (at least according to the na'vi) and allows them to store their memories and maybe even consciousness inside it when they die. Worth to note is also that Neytiri mentions that there is a balance and Eywa maintains this balance, implying everything living is a part of Eywa, not only na'vi

>>54942093
would be a interesting twist if Eywa is a alien that hijacked the Pandoran eco-system and bended it to its will.
>>
>>54942090

No, the maglev is literally a thing.

>The RDA also constructed a vast mass transit system that connects the entire globe, a maglev which requires unobtanium to function

James Cameron's Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide, page XV

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Earth
>>
>>54942252
The more I learn about Avatar fluff and background info the more I like the universe.
>>
>>54942191
>would be a interesting twist if Eywa is a alien that hijacked the Pandoran eco-system and bended it to its will.
literally Shyamalan-tier
>>
>>54942189
Funny thing is, that in said murder jungle, they brough MECHA KNIVES. Knifes are pretty shit for cutting through vegitation, that's why machetes are so popular in such a terrain.
You know what would make more sense than a short stabbing blade on a highly complex piece of machinery? A chainsaw. or a machete, because a knife would be equiped under tha assumption that the giant robot would still work while the chainsaw wasn't.
>>
File: 25464566.jpg (819KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
25464566.jpg
819KB, 1920x1200px
>>54942320
>>
File: neytiri_by_fierox-d7ouho5.jpg (2MB, 3837x2145px) Image search: [Google]
neytiri_by_fierox-d7ouho5.jpg
2MB, 3837x2145px
great thread, I very much enjoy discussing avatar and Neytiri.
>>
>>54942357
Okay so an permanetly fixed cannon byonet ?
That looks like an even greater waste of resources and an even poorer choice to get through vegitation, the giant cannon ist kinda sorta in the way of the swing.
>>
>>54942051
They're literally just teensy tiny shards of Eywa. Your remote control drone isn't a sapient human either
>>
>>54942504

You're weird, and your argument is really strained.
>>
>>54942473
You don't make any sense.
>>
>>54941536
Well, normally you have your eye lined up with the actual bow and judge draw by pulling the string back to your mouth, or that's how I was taught at least. If >>54941597
is him actually shooting rather than just testing the string his sighting picture is WAY off.
>>
File: Neytiri_5993.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_5993.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
>>54942596
He doesn't actually shoot it, It's just for practice.
Here's a pic of Neytiri actually preparing to shoot down a helicopter
>>
>>54942698
See, she knows how to arrow things. Pretty crappy teacher, though, since that was pretty much the equivalent of teaching somebody to fire rifles from the hip.

I will admit to not finishing the movie, I was just watching the argument. Is that some kind of adamantium arrow, or are those helis REALLY not rated for standard flight durability?
>>
>>54942279

Same here.
I wish the folks who hated it so much would have at least paid attention, because most of their shit doesn't even line up with what was said in the movie, and the extended universe info makes their arguments look even worse.
>>
>>54942590
neither does this thread.

Also the message in form of a picture and a big red circle might have been a little unclear to anybody
>>
>>54942775

It's stated in the movie that the Pandoran lifeforms are highly unusual -- they have nearly unbreakable bones made of some carbon fiber like substance, and are incredibly strong, pound-for-pound.
So yeah, the arrow is likely some adamantium-like substance found naturally on Pandora, possibly just bone from some animal.
>>
File: Neytiri_6909.jpg (260KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Neytiri_6909.jpg
260KB, 1920x1080px
>>54942775
>Is that some kind of adamantium arrow, or are those helis REALLY not rated for standard flight durability?

It's a flint (or bone as mentioned) arrowhead, her bow is huge though and she's diving down on the helicopter.
Here she is again shooting the colonel, where she keeps her two meter long arrows is a mystery however
>>
>>54942320
The knives are meant to be used as weapons, not machetes. That's what the thing underneath the gun barrel is for.
You think a mech using a knife is a bad idea because it's a mech that's using it? So it would be best to simply not use mechs in the first place? Then you suggest a chainsaw which has a bunch of moving parts, needs maintenance and fuel. How is that better than a mech, which they already have plenty of on Pandora, having a knife? And again, the knife isn't used as a machete in the film but as a weapon.
>>
>>54942775
lol we often hear of fucking birds smashing in the windows of cockpits and you question whether the huge and heavy arrow shot by the giant alien while diving toward the aircraft could penetrate the glass?
>>
>>54942513
Not as weird as the person who mourn the """death""" a giant blue predator drone
>>
>>54942926

This.
The mechs having hands made sense to me. You need your mechs to have hands in that environment, because what if one of those big ass monsters or trees falls on your buddy's mech pinning him down? How is Edward Pistolhands: the Mech supposed to grab and move that tree without hands?
And if you've got hands, because you need them, then you can swap weaponry based on what you're doing, which is better than having one weapon bolted on, for every task and enemy you might face in a nightmare jungle where every trip is different and you never know what to expect.

Still, a machete would have been a good idea, IMO. But some sort of combat knife as a sidearm is a must.
>>
>>54942977

>they're not people they're predator drones

That's not helping your argument sound any less retarded.
>>
>>54942973
Well, we hear very occasionally of a bird smashing the glass in a light aircraft going straight towards it. Larger aircraft tend to be considerably more durable, even without whatever advances of material science have been made in the process of making mechs and functioning inter-system spaceships. After a google, the wiki says that the helis were tested and geared up for the Pandoran environment, and I'd be surprised if that didn't include reinforced cockpit windows just for insurance, or just made them out of a tougher plastic that wouldn't really shatter even if the arrow did punch a hole in it.

The arrow thing may well be possible given >>54942840
and the fact that you're getting a decent chunk of velocity from the dive, but a stone arrowhead would probably have just splintered rather than penetrated.
>>
>>54943031
>remorseless remote control killers
What else would you call them?
>>
File: Neytiri_7144.jpg (277KB, 1920x1080px)
Neytiri_7144.jpg
277KB, 1920x1080px
>>54943235
does this look like a murderbot to you?
>>
>>54943267
Looks like a drone securing a valuable asset, yes.
>>
File: areyoufuckingserious.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
areyoufuckingserious.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>>54942977
>>54943235
>>54943322
>>
File: träning (21).jpg (273KB, 1031x1079px) Image search: [Google]
träning (21).jpg
273KB, 1031x1079px
>>54943322
looks like a loving cutetiri securing her disabled mates human body, yes.

I wonder how hard they fucked after he got back into his na'vi body and they had some time alone
>>
>>54935651
I thought HFY came to be out of the thought of "what if humans weren't the 'vanilla' race and instead had some outstanding qualities compared to most aliens?" And some people turned that into a wankfest where humans were better at EVERYTHING and not just a few things, but it's a neat concept in my opinion and not only limited to self-fellatio.
>>
>>54944139

Yeah, though I'd say Avatar provided a fair bit of fuel to the HFY derpfire.
>>
>>54944139
I remember when I liked those threads. I bailed out when even the opposition became stale, bland, and one-note, capable of nothing but parroting the same insults over and over.
>>
>>54940711
I have no problem rooting for a villain in fiction if they're more interesting than the hero. It doesn't make you any more immature than playing an evil or neutral character in a tabletop game instead of only playing Lawful Good 100% of the time. It's not that there's anything wrong with Lawful Good, but if the person playing Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Evil are doing more interesting things I'd be more interested in their story as a result.
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.