[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mind reading shenanigans.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

So i was planning out stuff with a 5e campaign im running and i have come across a bit of a conundrum. What would happen if 2 creatures read each others mind at the same time using detect thoughts? Do you thing they would be able to tell? Maybe the could hear their own thoughts echoing in the others mind? what do ya'll think?
>>
Typically creatures capable of telepathy can feel or sense when their own mind is being intruded upon.
>>
I wonder if it would just make that screeching noise you get when you put two microphones together
>>54894281
Maybe in the general thematic sense, but there's really nothing saying that's the case in the example the OP is talking about
>>
>>54894331
That's quite funny.
>>
>>54894197
They see nothing but each others' third eyes, both staring at one another in confusion.

The sensation is deeply uncomfortable, as if your eyeball bumped into someone else's eyeball. Except the eye is your brain, and staring too long opens your mind to the awful void which hangs between minds, inviting strange revelations about the nature of consciousness.
>>
>>54894197
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr07lrGSNUs
>>
>>54894331
Well, if OP is playing 5e

>TELEPATHY 8th level evocation
>Casting Time: I aclion
>Range: Unlimited
>Components: V,S, M(a pair of Iinked silver rings)
>Duration: 24 hours
>You create a telepathic link between yourself and a willing crealure with which you are familiar. The creature can be anywhere on the same plane of exislence as you. The spell ends ifyou or the largel are no longer on the same plane.

>Until the spell ends, you and the target can instantaneously share words, images, sounds, and other sensory messages with one another through the Iink, and lhe target recognizes you as the creature it is communicating with.

>The spell enables a creature wilh an Intelligence score of at least I to understand lhe meaning ofyour words and lake in lhe scope of any sensory messages you send lo 11.
>>
>>54894331
>>54894557

And under Detect Thoughts...

>If it fails, you gain insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates). If it succeeds, the spell ends.

>Either way, the target knows that you are probing into its mind, and unless you shift your attention to another creature's thoughts, the creature can use its action on its turn to make an lntelligence check contested by your Intelligence check; if it succeeds, the spell ends
>>
>>54894557
He's talking about the detect thoughts spell, which is a 2nd level one that's more an invasion where you hear your target's surface thoughts than creating a link between two creatures
>>
>>54894521
kek
>>
>>54894197
[Hello]
(Hello)
[Who are you]
(I do not know)
[I do not know who I am aswell]
(Where are we?)
[My...my mind if you could call it that says we're in the mindfield]
(Is this place dangerous?)
[No, not unless you aren't telepathic, in that case you'd die]
(Well, we aren't dead so we must be telepathic)
[Excellent deduction]
(Thank you, is there a way out?)
[Yes, we must simply...stop reading the recipients mind?]
(Were we reading eachothers mind?)
[I believe we were]
(How rude)
[Yes]
(Well, how do we stop reading our minds?)
[Imagine a door]
(Done)
[Now step through it, and we'll both be back in our bodies]
(Very well)
After that, the two telepaths sat down and discussed what the fuck just happened
>>
>>54894594
I know. I posted the relevant bits from Detect Thoughts as well. Just tired and can't type/post things properly. Either way, both give precedent for creatures knowing when someone or something is poking around in it's head.
>>
>>54894197
AMAZINGLY THERE IS A SAGE ARTICLE ON THIS FOR 3.5 WHICH I SAVED TODAY
>>
>>54894867
FYI, OP's situation is not covered in the image you posted.

Specifically asked about two creatures reading each other's minds.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.