[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cyberpunk world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: 1502767037971.jpg (329KB, 1400x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1502767037971.jpg
329KB, 1400x2048px
Most of what we here about in cyberpunk fiction is America and East Asia, but what about the rest of the world? Specifically India and Africa, but Europe and South America as well. Why are they never talked about?
>>
File: s6R2aHc.jpg (434KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
s6R2aHc.jpg
434KB, 1280x960px
>>54893898
The reason is two fold. The most common explanation is that back in the 80s when cyberpunk was having it's genesis, those regions didn't seem to be on the up and up like they are now.

Nowadays they're starting to see more representation, but still not a huge amount because people just don't really know enough about them to confidently write about it. East Asia almost eclipsed the West back in the day and their media was sold all over the world. It's not really the same for India or Africa, excluding stuff that expat groups bring with them.
>>
>>54893898
Too fragmented.
>>
In early cyberpunk fiction when they were mentioned, they were pretty similar to East Asia but way less developed. Several characters in various Gibson novels mentioned how easy it was to knock over african banks because their cyber security was years behind the advanced stuff.
>>
File: tennis.jpg (111KB, 810x539px) Image search: [Google]
tennis.jpg
111KB, 810x539px
>>54893898
Brazilian here. >>54893956 and >>54893993 seem to cover it up.

The thing I would do differently regarding brazilian cyberpunk is the physical distance not being important. You know how Elysium had the rich up there on space? That wouldn't be necessary.

See the picture? 20th century and 23th century tech/society/economy would be near one another. The players would be somewhere in the middle of those extremes in more ways than one. I've been homebrewing something based on this very image. Can post an outline if anyone wants.
>>
File: SYNCO-Baradit.jpg (68KB, 479x695px) Image search: [Google]
SYNCO-Baradit.jpg
68KB, 479x695px
>>54894243
>Can post an outline if anyone wants.
Would like

I'm hoping that someday this gets translated into English.
>>
>>54893898
South Africa is already 90% of the way to being a cyberpunk dystopia. With the crime organizations and the PMCs and the wealth disparity in the districts.
It'd make for a kickass cyberpunk setting if you added in a little chrome and some drones.
>>
>>54893898
Yknow, this reminds me of something that got my imagination gearing up when I was reading Accelerando. The novel is basically about a technological singularity from various viewpoints before, during, and after. One of the things that gets mentioned is what really forced global human society to change is when the transhuman tech gets so cheap it proliferates to 3rd world countries. The idea being that the current geopolitical status quo is strong enough that it would survive mostly intact when only wealthy nations have transhuman tech, but when even the poorest have access to superhuman intelligence and whatnot is the point at which you have to start transitioning into a post-scarcity society or similar in order to avoid a collapse.

I think a story set in a dense urban environment in a resource poor country where transhuman tech is cresting that universal affordability threshold might be the best way to capture the feel of cyberpunk with modern scifi tropes.
>>
File: makers-US-cover-large.jpg (182KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
makers-US-cover-large.jpg
182KB, 800x1200px
>>54894834
>I think a story set in a dense urban environment in a resource poor country where transhuman tech is cresting that universal affordability threshold might be the best way to capture the feel of cyberpunk with modern scifi tropes.
I would like to read this.

Sort of reminded me of this book.
>>
>>54894704
>Brazil, early 23th century.

>Modern self-enclosed communities grew larger, bigger, richer, employing more and more security*, incorporating industrial facilities within themselves, becoming huge brass-coated arcologies, the "Latoes". Each is an automous self-enclosed city-state governed by a Tower-Lord or "Lorde-do-Latao".
>His genetic lineage owns it, every lock, gate, computer and communication system under his domain: from water to ultra-fi. He rents space and resources like a feudal lord: wealthy is who owns one or more floors all to himself. Most of the population lives cramped in about 25% of the tower. The Tower-Lord reserves the topmost floors to himself and his bloodline.
>Everything is up to rent: space, bodies, gadgets.
>The wealthy retainers of the Tower-Lord, "Acimas", can afford personal 3D printers, cosmetical nanites or full information acess. All the technological disparity of the 20th to the 23th century can be found within two or three hundred floors. Higher floors encase entire nature reserves with otherwise extinct species.
>Common people ("Enlatados") grow food and drugs in hydroponic vertical farms; factories 3D print all kinds of goods based on imported digital designs. You're born in debt to the Latao which houses your parents. It adds more costs to raise, clothe, feed and educate you. Your work or your parents will try to pay that debt so you can actually acquire money. The majority fails to do so. The system is rigged: each generation, the rich get richer and the poor die owning so much their bodies are harvested for organs and tissues.
>>
>>54893898
It's been done, amigo.
>>
File: 10595347.jpg (55KB, 468x700px) Image search: [Google]
10595347.jpg
55KB, 468x700px
>>54895085
>>
>>54895067
>The modern countries are called "Enclaves": groups of Brass Towers with common treaties of commerce, military assistance etc. They connect themselves through laser-comms, drones, cubesats, aircraft and automated underground railways.

>Slums dominate the land around the Brass Towers. They encrust the outside walls like moss on rocks. Those people have a miserable existence brought by the Brass Towers and yet depend on its waste. A bit of recycling and reconditioning may make wonders out things thrown away by the enlatados.

>Gangs and militias control the Slums, fight between themselves, to get the attention and supplies of the Brass Towers, to get Hours, to break the current system, to smuggle all kind of things from and to the Towers.

>Some even try to raid the underground tunnels between Towers, either through digging, hacking or bribing. Guards, gun turrets, drones and all kinds of defenses wait for them.

>They don't have nearly as much sucess as those that make reality shows out of their lives and transmit however they can to the enlatados. Become enough of a celebrity and you can even get inside a tower and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame. Then you become a normal enlatado.

*Latões nowadays have: Self-repairing concrete; adamantine-grade carbonoids; Small private armies; biohazard seals; spies with optical camouflage; power armor; land and air-based drones; power-armored paratroopers etc.
>>
>>54893898
>India
Balkanized after nuclear conflict with Pakistan
>Africa
Civil wars and genocide as usual
>>
>>54894790

Whats interesting about African development that many people didn't expect is that Africa didn't necessarily have to progress through different technologies like other places because they were so far behind anyway. For example, there has never been reliable landline phone service in Africa, but in most of Africa literally everyone has a cell phone because by the time these countries had enough money to set up land services, it was cheaper and easier to install cellular infrastructure and so they were able to just skip straight to it. A similar phenomenon is happening right now with solar power generation and other new technologies.
>>
>>54895067
>>54895098
That's really cool anon. I hope you make a setting guide or novel some day.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.