[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 31

File: Owlbear 2e.jpg (27KB, 400x278px) Image search: [Google]
Owlbear 2e.jpg
27KB, 400x278px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54884048

What creature art has improved the most throughout the editions?
>>
First for Paladins SUCK
>>
>>54893454
Maybe! I hate Warlocks more!
>>
File: kraken.jpg (95KB, 556x720px) Image search: [Google]
kraken.jpg
95KB, 556x720px
Krakens, though that's part of their design change too. Giant leviathan creatures of the deep is way more interesting than giant squids.
>>
>>54893481
ELDRITCH
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!!!
>>
>>54893481
Hey guys you know who I hate?

Bards
>>
>>54893570
In my day (3.5) us bards gave everyone a REASON to hate us! Now it's just easy street, picking up alllll the spells. HAH we dragged everyone down with us! Drain on party resources.
>>
>>54893570
We know

Show us how much you hate us daddy. Show it to us hard
>>
When is WotC going to reissue a "revised" PHB that has errata and class rebalances in it.
>>
>>54893600
Oh I'll show you all right
*Bans college of lore*
>>
>>54893668
The errata is included in all new printings of it.

As for a full core rule revision, expect that in like... 5 years.
>>
>>54893679
I can work with Satire, maybe Glamour. Bards are versatile!
>>
>>54893679
>He turns my archetype choice into a forbiden fruit

God yes, make it dirtier! Nerf my expertise in Persuasion, make it so I can't add jack of all trades to counterspell, give it to me harder, HARDER!
>>
File: hero-mesmer.jpg (108KB, 610x360px) Image search: [Google]
hero-mesmer.jpg
108KB, 610x360px
OK, can you flagrant bardlovers sell me on the class? Because I really want to play a melee illusionist, and the Bard has been the closest thing to that in DnD, but the flavour is just so FUCKING stupid.

Seriously, I love the Mesmer, it's literally the only reason I played Guild Wars 2, and the guys behind that game introduced the class by mocking bards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC5s7d6YsIk
>>
>>54893826
What exactly is your problem with the flavour of the bard?
>>
>>54893826
>but the flavour is just so FUCKING stupid.
then ignore it. Problem solved.
>>
I'm also curious about Bards, last campaign i played a paladin and my brother kept jokingly telling me i should MC bard, is that viable? For our new campaign he says i should go full valor bard because they can fuck shit up
>>
>>54893826
A melee illusionist will serve you well with an Arcane Trickster or a blade wizard if you simply cannot get into Bard crunch
>>
>>54893826
Go 1/2 levels fighter, take the rest in wizard. Problem solved.
>>
>>54893943
>i should MC bard, is that viable?
depends on WHY you want to do it
>For our new campaign he says i should go full valor bard because they can fuck shit up
they can.
>>
Do you guys enforce material components for spells?
>>
>>54893826
Simple: introduce yourself as a warrior. Or a soldier. Or anything, barding is a lifestyle choice not necessarily a career.

There isn't really one catchall flavor to it, just a sort of example. Nobody says you HAVE to be a musician or any of that shit. Performances can be REALLY anything (if you even use them) like literature or stage magic or acting or mime or puppetry or ventriloquism or exotic dancing or anything your DM will allow. Cooking? Perfumery? Sure, give it a shot.

They literally don't revolve around perform anymore, that's a free class feature. The new "perform" is Inspiration and that has different affects with different subclasses. They're all pretty fucking great, too.

GLAMOUR bard literally is Fey illusiony shit if you want your mechanics to strictly match your goals. Glamour + Paladin/Cleric seemed like it could be good.

>>54893943
see last thread, tons of valor talk.
>>
>>54893985
I have no idea why you'd do it, maybe for heavy armor prof and smite?
>They can
How so? How do i make sure i don't fuck up building one
>>
Best Arcane shots for an Arcane Archer? Which ones should I take early?
>>
>>54893826
Is your problem le music man meme? If so, just ignore it.

You can be a skald, a valkyrie, a reporter, a fisher king, a Preacher man, a shaman, a clever man, a trickster Demigod, a knight, a detective, a sailor, a monster hunter, you can do enchantment, Illusion, healing, you can be the comms guy in a special opps team, or even the demolition expert, it's literally the most versatile go to class in the whole game, just do it
>>
>>54894027
>How so? How do i make sure i don't fuck up building one
this is 5e, bruh, you would have to intentionally screw up a build.
>>
File: IMG_20170815_002124341-2.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_002124341-2.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Made this map for this week's session. If you have any ideas or critique for my fluff, let me know.

Grobnob's Cave: For 3rd - 5th level adventurers

1. The foyer. The smell of rotting meat and damp permeates this chamber. A brazier on the east wall illuminates two Death Dogs, chained to a post. Both are asleep. If awoken, they start barking and make a DC10 strength check to snap the chain.
2. The crevice. A halfling thief tried to hide from the monstrous denizens of this cave in here. Unfortunately, he got stuck, and his loot-laden corpse was unable to be removed by Grobnob. A succeeded DC17 athletics check allows you to loot 60 gp, a fine burgundy cloak (worth 45 gp), and assorted jewelry (DM decides)
3. Midpoint. To the west, the smell of urine wafts on a cold breeze. To the north, firelight plays across a caved in wall. And to the east, steps lead down to..
4. The larder. Grobnob is using this as a pantry/prison. The cell to the north has 2d4 Myconids in it, speaking in hushed tones. A dead sorcerer is chained to the stalactite in the middle of the room. He has nothing of value. In the east cell...
5. The bard. A pompous elven bard has gotten herself trapped in this place while looking for a tale worthy of her |1d4| 1. Average 2. Mediocre 3. So-so 4. Commonplace| Talent. Roleplay to DM's discretion.
6. A cage, covered in cloth. Inside is a perturbed Owlbear, locked securely in. Above the cage, a small chimney leads to the treasure stash in location 10. Stepping onto the cage to climb into the chimney reveals that the cage has no top, and now you're trapped with the owlbear. Roll initiative.
7. At this point, the party will hear Grobnob lumbering around in room 10. Any loud noise from this point onward will alert him, sending him running to the noise.
8. A thick velvet curtain. If Grobnob heard you at any point, it gets pushed aside. If not, it requires a DC12 strength check to push aside.
Cont....
>>
>>54894075
your detail of completely pointless non-features always impresses
>>
>>54894027
Not as much as you would if you instead just did Paladin/Warlock
>>
>>54893561
ELDRITCH
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!
>>
File: 1460045817758.jpg (153KB, 640x921px) Image search: [Google]
1460045817758.jpg
153KB, 640x921px
>>54893826
Look here yea stupid faggot
A bard CAN cast spells using a flute or whatever as a focus. CAN.
Not MUST.
Ergo, component pouch. Damn, that was easy, there goes stupid singsong bard.

Now then, a bard has Expertise and Charisma-based spellcasting (full caster), as well as a list full of things like Healing Word, Suggestion, Heat metal, Phantasmal force, invisibility, Hypnotic pattern, leomunds tiny hut, greater invis, dimension door, polymorph, geas, modify memory, planar binding, animate objects, scrying, otto's irresitible dance, forcage, ressurection, teleport, glibness, feeblemind, dominate monster, power word kill, true polymorph.

And that is BEFORE they steal ANY SPELL THEY WANT FROM OTHER CLASSES.

That said, the limits they have on spells known and switching spells does keep them in line, forcing them to specialize much like Wizards (if the wizard isn't handed spellbooks like candy at any rate)

Still, Bard is easy the best Face in the game in core, without multiclassing. If you ever play 5e with a decent Neutral Evil bard player, you will understand. No class can warp the plot of a story like the bard can. Folks who talk about how the bard can do all this damage don't get the REAL power of a bard. I cast Death Ward on myself, talked bad guys into escaping with me through dimension door... 500ft into the air, where I Counterspelled their Feather Fall. I've talked dudes into letting me cast Hold Person on them, then slit their throats. I've pretended to be the right hand man of evil sorcerers, stealing their magical artifacts LITERALLY out from under their noses and replacing them with bullshit. The bard is not about "lol fuckyeah I beat the dragon with a stick" the bard is about "Lol fuckyeah, I just convinced the country council to finance and provided my party with teleportation circles and scrying wizards/clerics to "protect" them while I collect all the magical weapons/rituals/minions of my enemies like Pokemon for my eventual evil empire

Bard
>>
>>54894127
Actually, a Bard can use other spellcasting foci like magic wands and shit

It's just that they get musical instruments as bonuses added on top of the list.
>>
Anyone got experience with side-tanking as a Moon Druid with wild shape?
>>
>>54894165
They work pretty fuckin' well, especially if you have another party member that heals you if your humanoid form ever hits 0.
>>
>>54894175
Which cantrips and spells should I get for the first couple of levels if I want to tank and be of utility?
>>
>>54894154
Well fuck man, damn.
Bards are so fuckin cool
>>
>>54894075
9. Grobnob's bedroom. Nothing to note except the massive bed and large wooden chest on the south wall. A halfling or gnome could comfortably fit inside.
10. Main encounter chamber. A pile of bones and meat make the terrain difficult in the southeast corner. A huge bonfire, with a horse roasting on a spit, occupies the middle. Off to the west, you can see a 12 foot ledge, with Grobnob's treasure stash safely placed out of reach. Grobnob himself is sitting on a massive stump to the north if players haven't made noise, or pacing angrily if they have. For roleplaying Grobnob the Ettin, use the monster manual as a guide. He fancies himself a gourmand, and rather cultured. The head on the right, Grob, responds well to flattery. Nob loves it when you praise his intelligence. Roleplay to your discretion.
11. The bathroom. The smell of urine is even more intense as you walk down a flight of rough stone steps. To the north, you see a twenty foot deep crevasse, with a ledge behind it.
12. The crevasse. Inside is a gelatinous cube Grobnob has been using for waste disposal. Inside it, you can see 3 skeletons in various adventurers gear.
13. The ledge. If the players manage to get over here, they find the desiccated corpse of a wizard. A journal found on him reveals he used to be part of an adventurers group, before they all fell into the crevasse. Using spider climb, he escaped, but not before taking heavy enough wounds to cause his death on this ledge. Magical loot to the DM's discretion.
>>
>>54894209
Lots of classes have hidden coolness to them that people don't realize.

For example, a monk doesn't need to see the missles he is trying to deflect.
>>
>>54894075
Probably should have a cloth or tarp over the top of the owlbear cage, with something near that hints they should climb ontop of it to jump on top of the cage.

Because jumping into an owlbear cage is always funny
>>
>>54894040
Everybody read this post, and then read it again, and then read it some more. Then apply it to every single class in the game.
Your class has no in-world meaning. None. It is a package of capabilities that combines with your race and background to determine what your character can do well. You can describe your character's actual role in society however you want.
When I say this is true for every class, I mean EVERY class. Yes, even the warlock. 5e is the refluff edition. >>54893826 can play his mesmer with the mechanics of a Fey Pact Bladelock, and there would be nothing wrong with that fluffwise - mechanically it would depend on whether he can use UA invocations, of course.
That's why it's perfectly fine to describe your character before picking a class. The class is there to help you achieve a power fantasy, not to enforce it. You can make a woodsman as a ranger, a rogue, or a fighter with the outlander background, depending on the exact type of abilities you want to use. From the world's perspective, it makes no difference.
/rant
>>
File: 1497761031552.jpg (113KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1497761031552.jpg
113KB, 413x395px
>>54894304
Read entry 6 again, that's exactly what I intend to happen. Hopefully the dickass rogue takes my bait.
>>
In a Campaign that will probably go to level 10-11, would it be a good idea to multiclass as an Arcane Archer. If so I would probably mc after level 5 for 3 level.

The options I would consider are Rogue Assassin, Ranger Hunter or Deepstalker. All of them would fit thematically as well, but I don't know if its worth it.
>>
>>54894347
I will totally shame anyone who uses Backgrounds as a means to mechanical advantage without working it into their story though. Shame on them. Shame.
>>
>>54894190
Your tanking ability comes mainly from wild shape, so just take cantrips that you really like. Spells can be swapped out anytime you like.

You are playing Moon Druid, right?
>>
>>54894485
Correct. I was looking for a spell to use before using a wild shape.
>>
>>54894115
How many warlock levels are you supposed to take? Iirc it's only 2 or 3
>>
>>54894063
True, but I'm more curious about how to play it. Are they Frontline characters, do you want to mostly be swinging with a sword or using cantrips?
>>
>>54894494
Low-level, right? Entangle could be good, as could Faerie Fire. Nail a bunch of enemies as your action, wild shape as a bonus, and charge in the next, getting free advantage on anything that failed their save. Not bad.

At higher levels, Barkskin could work if your form has an AC lower than 16; Flaming Sphere has a ramming attack as a bonus action in addition to the AoE, giving you lots to do in one round; Hold Person is a Faerie Fire that can't target your allies on accident, etc.

I recommend poking through the list of druid spells and seeing what's there that you like.
>>
Come up with fluff for a paladin/warlock/sorcerer, any archtype
>>
>>54894347
Reminder that the best Doctor / Field Medic class in the game is the Thief Rogue, because they can use healers kit with a bonus action, expertise in medicine, sleight of hand and Nature and have the mental skills required for it still being viable play, and the mobility necessary to go from downed soldier to soldier. (And at higher levels, use magical healing devices not aimed at him)

And nothing about it has to do with thievery.
>>
>>54894575
Perfect. I'll check out the rest of the spells and see what fits my playstyle. Thanks!
>>
>>54894533
Never more than 3,though two are fine for Invocations
>>
>>54893570
Having a lot of fun as a Valor Bard. Strength based of course because finesse weapons will and always will be for faggots
>>
>>54894605
https://www.dnd-spells.com/spells
Hit "druid," sort them by level, and filter for spells that're concentration! Then open any that sound good in a new tab.
>>
>>54894586
Dragonborn Paladin of Tiamat, who is also her patron
>>
>>54894586

A Human girl who's deal with a Hexblade awakened her own latent magical, Shadow(fel) born ability , which in turn spooked the shit out of her, causing her to seek redemption as a Paladin, or go full edgelord and believe that Conquest is her destiny.
>>
>>54894586
Wouldn't this be a king arthur type? nonhuman blood and a magic sword + knightlyness
>>
File: 1481060499135.png (207KB, 400x324px) Image search: [Google]
1481060499135.png
207KB, 400x324px
>>54894641
>>
>>54894586
All 3? Why?
>>
reminder that there is literally, LITERALLY zero reason to play a sorcerer over a wizard unless you think "can doublecast a buff or nuke + cantrip in one turn" 1-2 times per day is worth a massively better spell list, more spells, more slots recovered per day and more effective subclass features
>>
>>54894624
Do you think taking a level of fighter for a fighting style would be worth it as a valor bard?
>>
>>54894586
Kobold Dragon Sorcerer who also made a Pact with Tiamat to make him a real dragon when he grows up

Namor, the submariner, Paladin of the Ancients with a level in Storm sorcery

Johny Thoombs, Devotion Paladin with a level or two in Undying Warlock and Pole arm Master.
His line of grave diggers have kept the Acropolis of wakanda safe for generations, but someone stole the first King's skull on his watch.
Now he with the advice of that same kings spirit must take his trusty shovel and take it back from the Lich King and shovel some undead back into their Graves in the process
>>
>tfw the hobgoblin captain crits and then hits
>That look of horror on the wizard's face as I say "I don't have enough d6's for this everyone give me yours"

I killed a PC yesterday 5eg and it felt good
>>
>>54894736
What if I want to cover my body in rocks and melee it up with the fighter while also twinning buffs?
>>
File: theshillzone.png (6KB, 720x91px) Image search: [Google]
theshillzone.png
6KB, 720x91px
>>54893429
pay2win on my twitch

dont forget to give the dragon advantage against my boys only 3.99 american
>>
>>54894494
>>54894575
Classic off tank combo: Thorn Whip to pull someone off an ally then wildshape in their face.
Ninja: Fog Cloud + Wildshape w/ Blindsight
GTFO: Spike Growth + Flight form, fuck your feet
Thundergod: Call Lightning+wildshape = lightning beast
Summon whatever+Wildshape + Pack Tactics COMBO

Versatility has always been the key to shapeshifting.
>>
>>54894593
One of the greatest things about the rogue is that being single-ability-dependent and with backgrounds giving expanded access, it can become amazing at literally any skill in the game.
Your class is called "rogue"? So what? You can become a supreme diplomat, or the ultimate scholar, or the greatest outdoorsman there ever was. Not all rogues need to take specialization in stealth and thieves' tools.

>>54894798
>What if I want to cover my body in rocks and melee it up with the fighter while also twinning buffs?
Then you've proven that the anon you replied to is either full of shit or a bad troll. Huzzah!
>>
>>54894736
I dunno man, storm sorc gets some pretty cool powers. Free flight, weather control, and counterattack would all be breddy gud
>>
>>54894736
But subtle spell....
>>
>>54894777
>I don't have enough d6's for this everyone give me yours
The most terrifying thing a player can hear is "I don't have enough dice for this" from the DM.
>>
>>54894751
Oh you meant all 3

Born from an impossible congress between fey of the winter and summer court, Gawaine has lived his whole life as a catspaw of the two queens, who each seeking to use the raging chaos inside of him against the other.
Titanya of the summer has pushed him into Paladin of the Ancients, driven to make him into a guardian of her court, while Mab ever the schemer, dripped Eldritch Knowledge behind his ear.

For two decades has his jurisdiction changed from one court to the other, on every equinox, and he has come of an age where his rumspringa is to be allowed, but the Fey queen never stand still without a plot, and his freedom might just be shorter lived than he could have possibly have hoped
>>
>>54894832
>>54894831
>>54894798
You know how they say the best way to get the right answer on the internet is to post the wrong answer?
The best way to learn how to play a class it to talk shit about it.
Anon wasn't trolling, he wanted us to teach him.
>>
File: scorpion.png (301KB, 358x542px) Image search: [Google]
scorpion.png
301KB, 358x542px
>>54894810
>Thorn Whip to pull someone off an ally then wildshape in their face
Do I even need to say it?
>>
>>54894832
>>54894736
>>54894831
Whether or not you hate Sorcs, SP were a mistake. Last(?) thread had a neat brainstorming about using HP/DailyRestHitDice in place of SP for using metamagic that sounded way cooler than generic points for BLOOD MAGIC.
>>
>>54894859
GET
>>
>>54894736
home hexblade 3/favored soul x is pretty good because you actually get a decent variety of spells + laser hands + med armor and shield to hide behind

I feel there may be something with warlock 5/red dragon or phoenix sorcerer x because of that new invocaton that lets you do a fireball for free after eldritch blast too
>>
>>54894864
all they have to do is either make metamagic cheaper, make recovering spell slots more effective than wizard recovery per level, or give you more and spell slots would be ok without actually changing the mechanic
>>
>>54894864
SP's were a fine idea that didn't go anywhere, what was really needed were combinations of SPs (or metamagic, i should really say) AND spells that worked together as one. for example, a spell that deals more damage if an enemy has disadvantage on the save, or a 10ft range spell that pulls the targeting enemy 20 ft closer, things like that.
>>
Why people say abjuration Wizard is so good? Isn't better not to take damage instead denying it?
>>
>>54894864
The dev team has explained that they specifically avoided using hit dice for non-healing purposes because players inevitably use them all and get stuck being unable to heal at the end of the day.
It SHOULD be a cost/benefit thing, but players are humans, and make short-term decisions, and get fucked by them.
That said, if it works for your table, I suppose there's no harm. Just be aware that testing has shown it's not a good system for most.

>>54894939
>recovering spell slots more effective than wizard recovery per level
The only reason you'd bring this up is because in 3e they had more spell slots. There's no particular reason for sorcerers to be the "more spells per day" class except for they did it in a single edition. "Lots of spells" is a boring flavor compared to metamagic.
So I agree with maybe making it cheaper, or making sorcery points recharge faster, or something. In general, it's probably better to focus on what already makes sorcerer and then make it better.
>>
>>54894939
For balancing reasons, maybe. For cheap recycled mechanics can there be any fix but annihilation? EVERY CLASS DOES NOT REQUIRE A REFRESHING POINT SYSTEM.
>>
>>54894965
At some point, despite your best efforts, somebody is going to take damage at some point. Abjuration wizard mitigates whatever slips through the cracks with a shield that can be refilled by ritual casting alarm.
>>
>>54894751
Aasimar Paladin/Favored Soul/Undying Light

Do I even need to explain this one?
>>
>>54894969
Fuck the dev team's decisions. Those recoverable hit dice are a great consumable resource. Then you could fit recovering MORE than your base hit dice in exchange for exhaustion for even MORE cost-benefit options. The devs are just laser focused on SHORT REST (per encounter) mechanics to even consider players capable of long term thinking.

Some of the streamlining in 5E is amazing (proficiency is great) but the ADHD bullshit is so very tiresome.
>>
>>54894969
>The only reason you'd bring this up is because in 3e they had more spell slots. There's no particular reason for sorcerers to be the "more spells per day" class except for they did it in a single edition.

There's no particular reason for a "sorcerer" class to exist at all except because 3e did it, and that class was just "wizard but worse, but you dont have to deal with the shitty parts of vanacian casting". Except that in 5e wizards also don't have to deal with the shitty parts of vanacian casting AND have all the traditional advantages they had over sorcerer in 3e, while also giving things that 3.5/PF and 4e gave sorcerers to make them stand out (a bunch of non-spell abilities and more spells per day) to wizard too, and then just for good measure they made the wizard versions better in more or less every way AND gave sorcerers a smaller spell list for no reason despite being the same class AND put them in a game that already has a "non-book smart arcane caster with weird powers" with warlock.

Fuck outta here with this bullshit, it's a class that only exists to pander to 3e and 4e players but they took everything that made it worth using and removed it or gave wizard a better version
>>
>>54894972
>EVERY CLASS DOES NOT REQUIRE A REFRESHING POINT SYSTEM.
this is true, not every class needs to be viable
>>
>>54894744
Maybe? I thought about it but decided against it because I didn't think any fighting style was worth slowing down the bard progression (trying to get that extra attack ASAP), but I built sword and board STR bard and cast mostly bonus action spells (lots of healing words) so you may benefit from Great Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Fighting, or even Protection if you have a lot of melees you'll be close to.
>>
>>54895106
There are more game mechanics in the universe than spell slots and non-spell slots. Sorcerers get both of those slots.
>>
>>54894457
Anyone?
>>
>>54894744
>>54895130
There's a lot of redundancy in Fighter and Valor bards too, you gain less with fighter+valor than fighter+non-valor. It might benefit you but it's not anywhere near an optimal choice.
>>
>>54895136
Does your DM let you multiclass with UA? Because the standard precedure is not to allow it.

>>54895087
Well, we can at least agree that the class shouldn't exist.
>>
>>54895155
As long as its not inherently broken yes. If you can multiclass battlemaster, why not arcane archer?
>>
File: Shadow of the Doctor.png (278KB, 774x755px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the Doctor.png
278KB, 774x755px
Is there any way to trap Strahd's soul long enough to offer it to my eldritch patron?
>>
Making an Artifact Weapon. Is there any already existing effect I can use instead of this?

>Sunder
>This weapon is exceptionally strong, even for a magic item. It automatically destroyes any nonmagical items it hits that are not being worn or carried.

In this case it's a super fucking sharp sword PCs can cleave through steel doors with.
>>
>>54895185
Spleling is hard.

Remember to proofread, kids!
>>
>>54895185
i'd write "Can cut through anything"
Automatically destroying anything it touches is super vague and exploitable.
>>
>>54895185
>>54895205
I don't even know how object damage works in 5e but that smells awful.
>get disarmed
>sword hits ground
>planet obliterated
>>
>>54895172

Battlemaster is official, meaning it was playtested for multiclassing. UAs like Arcane Archer were not. Essentially they're saying that a multiclassed UA character could be potentially game-breaking.
>>
> Dragonic Sorcerer can't ever become a dragon
> Any kind of Wizard can

Why is this allow?
>>
>>54895256
I know what you are talking about, but anyone could look at Arcane Archer and see that its just a worse Battlemaster, multiclassing it won't break anything.

It's not like some of the other UA classes like Sea Sorcerer or Twilight Druid, where you can directly see that some strange shit is possible by multiclassing
>>
How do you guys deal with your bards in melee combat? Playing an instrument obviously requires two hands, so do you make them use their object interaction to pull out a sword if they had cast a spell on the previous turn?
If they already used their object interaction to sheathe their sword at the beginning of this turn because they made a melee attack last turn, they can't pull out their sword at the end of this same turn, meaning they can't make any opportunity attacks until their next turn?
>>
>>54895246
It only has this trait when actively being wielded by the person attuned to it.
>>
Question: If I'm running a group of monsters that share initiative, like say a pack of goblins using pack tactics, can I split up their turns to maximize damage potential?

Like say I have two goblins facing a fighter 20 feet away. Can I do move goblin 1, move goblin 2, goblin 1 attack w advantage, goblin 2 attack with advantage, or do I have to move 1, attack 1 w/o adv, move 2, attack 2 w/ adv? I'd check the DMG but I don't have it handy atm.
>>
>>54895303
They start casting with wands instead of instruments
>>
>>54895303
They don't actually PLAY instruments for focus use. They just sort of... hold onto it. Also it is implied (and I think confirmed?) that it can be manipulated for somatics.
>>
File: 111.png (417KB, 906x658px) Image search: [Google]
111.png
417KB, 906x658px
>>54895303
Monster Hunter style. Who said my instrument can't also be my weapon?
>>
>>54895301

I mean, yeah, but when it comes to the law of unintended consequences some DMs prefer to err on the side of caution, myself included. But if the DM is good enough, I suppose it *could* work.
>>
>Goliath Brawny Tavern Brawler Bearbearian
>Wield a Battering Ram like at the end of Bastion (no decent images on google)
>Try to get my hands on a Belt of Storm Giant Strength

How would you stat smashing people with a giant marble pillar?
>inb4 1d4+STR
>>
>>54895303
> Spellcasting Focus
> You can use a musical instrument (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells.

Also they can drop the sword (no cost), cast spell, and pick up the sword with free object interaction.
>>
>>54895303
all of my bards sing or do poetry for this reason
>>
>>54895381
Well previously I'd say 'just size up a greatclub' but weapon sizes are moot because 5e isn't bout that shit. It clearly is a thing that is in the game but they won't write down a clear answer.

The answer is empirically: add a damage die to size it up one class. If it's 1h(Nd4), size up a club to whatever class above large it is. If it's 2h, size up greatclub(Nd8).
>>
>>54895381
That look like a improvise Great Club.
1d8+STR.
>>
>>54895197
...I'm not seeing a mistake
>>
>>54895446
above medium*
>>
>>54895446
Go back to /pfg/
>>
what are some good cleric spells for a favored soul to take?
>>
>>54895462
Seems more like an Improvised Large Greatclub, which would be 2d8.

>>54895446
Large weapons (ie:wielded by an Ogre) deal double damage die. Huge (ie: hill giant) deal triple damage die. Etc etc as sizes go.
>>
>>54895364
I can understand where you are coming from, but my DM is pretty lenient, I'm sure he will allow it.

But that didn't answer my original question, if multiclassing is even a good idea in the first place.

Right now I'm tending to Assassin the most, as it would give me better things to do with my bonus action, sneak attack damage and some neat suprise rounds, ontop of expertise and some proficiencies.

On the other hand staying pure fighter means more ASI, a third attack and more HP. But unlike Battlemaster, the third attack isn't that great on an Arcane Archer as I can only use one Arcane Shot per round anyway, and sneak attack also gives me increased damage. But then again the third attack is great for Sharpshooter.
>>
>>54895484
The 5e devs HAVE a formula for this exact thing. You can see it in the MM on larger sized creatures' melee weapon attacks.

>>54895526
Exactly, they also throw random bonuses on there though which I dunno anything about but thats not important.
>>
If I'm playing a 13-foot tall beefy monster onehanding a giant hammer, what kind of damage should I be doing?
>>
>>54895526
Weapon size doesn't exist for PC. It was put into Monster Creation rule section for a reason. And even if you allow it for some weird reason, don't forget that you always get disadvantage while attacking with such weapon.
>>
>>54895558
Could probly make due with a single handed maul unless you're ACTUALLY sizing it up.

>>54895570
Yeah, same rules would apply to Smalls with Heavy. DoubleHeavy.
>>
>>54895547
They have for monster creation purpose, not for PC cheesing damage. Please go read DMG or go back to /pfg/.
>>
>Player wants to burn down a house in a city because its a known enemy hideout and there are enemies inside
>Paladin says that is probably a bad idea because it's probably just going to burn more shit than one house
>Player that wants to burn it down says paladins always ruin the fun wanting to be good all the time
who was in the wrong here?
>>
>>54895589
If they're already breaking everything by playing Large PCs that stuff is already out the window. Otherwise there is a clear pattern for precisely shifting other rules into this situation without writing new ones. That's a success.
>>
>>54895590
Paladin used common sense.
>>
>>54895590
If there was a real risk of collateral damage then the Paladin has a fair point, but it sounds like you've got one player that wants to play a good campaign and one who wants to play an evil campaign.
>>
>>54895590
Are you the DM or one of the players?
>>
>>54895590
Neither. They're both right, which makes it a good problem for the DM to have made.
>>
>>54895590
Just set up precautions to limit collateral damage. Force walls or some weather control or something.
>>
>>54895534

Oh, I wasn't that guy. As a relatively new DM, I don't know much about character optimization. Sorry I can't be of any help.
>>
I don't quite understand the therugy wizard, I have to be level 10 before I can start getting whatever cleric spells I want? Can I copy cleric scrolls into my book?
>>
>>54895590
No one was in the wrong. The Paladin is in the "No Fun Allowed", but also in the "I'm not a psychotic mass murderer."

The player that suggested the fire is either short-sighted or evil. I hope the Paladin tested for the evil. An uncontrolled fire in a packed city can destroy a city center. Look at the history of city fires from the late 1800s-1900s. More recent events you have the fire in the London apartments. Outside of the potential loss of property you have the lose of information, documentation, and innocents. Does that enemy hideout have hostages, slaves, contact lists, financial lists, or goods lists?
>>
>>54895703
>I hope the paladin tested for the evil

I don't think you can test for alignment in 5e.
>>
Can I use Suggestion via my Halfling's Silent Speech?
>>
>>54895590
Paladin did the right thing. He act like any sensible or reasonable people would. The other guy is just a murderhobo.
>>
>>54895739
Not really familiar with that subrace but I'd go with a yes personally, it's not going to stop you from having a verbal component to the spell tho probly.
>>
Friend is starting a new game
I want to play as a wizard but I dont know which race to play

All of the vanilla races are pretty boring desu
Except gnomes
>>
>>54893986
If the character does not have their focus, yes.
>>
>>54895175
only your DM can answer that. But in all likelihood, no. The powers that be in ravenloft like their toys and don't easily give them up.
>>
>>54895865
Well what kind of wiz are you aiming for? There's all sorts of variety that other races can combo well with.
>Halfling Lucky Diviner
Control all of the dice.
>>
>>54895865

>All of the vanilla races are boring except for gnomes

Sounds like you should play a gnome, anon.
>>
>>54895865
I love wizards but hate gnomes, the struggle is real.
>>
>>54895977
Tiefling, Aasimar, Genasi, Goliath if you want to get real goofy
>>
>>54894586

Warlock who's made a pact with a sentient plane whose goal is to intrude into other realms.
>>
Bring back Archivist.
>>
>>54895736
You can.. With Smite!

I kid, I kid.. The only one the paladin would be able to do on his/her own is to use Zone of Truth and ask a pointed question. All kind of bunk though since the paladin is not confined to Lawful Good any more.
>>
Any feats/race features/etc that goes well for abjurer wizards?
>>
>>54896202
Mountain Dwarf meme
>>
>>54894075
>>54894218
Grobnob is an ettin. They have darkvision which is usually the reason behind caves not being lit in published adventures.
1. DC 10 seems kinda low for the chains that are supposed to hold the death dogs. Not that that's a problem, maybe it's the best chains grobnob could find, but still seems kinda low. Like they could easily bust out if they wanted
2. Athletics? Is it because the space is too small for grobnob? If not it should probably be straight strength
3 and 4 are good except for the fire thing again
5 is fun
6. It seems like a pissed owlbear would be smart enough to try the top of the cage. They do have some intelligence. But I really like the idea. Maybe some sort of latch that can only open pushing down and the cloth hides it. Even if the owlbear was too dumb to try the top, what if the players inspect the cloth?
The rest looks pretty good though. My thoughts for what it's worth
>>
>>54896233
Okay I missed the horse roasting. That fire makes sense since he fancies himself a gourmand. But a lit brazier doesn't really
>>
>>54895143
So as far as valor is concerned you really don't need to MC?
>>
D&Dish question:

Has anyone seen the greentext of the human worshipper of Lolth? The one where he prays to her for a drow waifu, and she tries to get rid of him with increasingly impossible tasks? If anyone would post that or give a link to it I'd appreciate it
>>
>>54896202
>>54896228
To further clarify... mountain dwarf give you more hp and medium armor. You could spend a feat to be heavy armor wizard.
>>
>>54896350
How do abjurers should behave btw?
>>
File: 1502032637630.png (345KB, 612x513px) Image search: [Google]
1502032637630.png
345KB, 612x513px
So my players are a bunch of Persona fans and they asked me if it's possible to do Persona in DnD 5e. I told them I have to ask around because I'm sure this system won't work for a game with summonable entities helping them out. It will fuck up action economy after all. Ultimately I ended up telling them that we have to use another system to achieve something comparable to the video games.

That said, it got me thinking, would it screw anything up if we just flavor it that they're playing as high school kids and when they "summon" their Persona, they're just putting out their DnD classes they made in chargen? Like Player A plays High School Punk and during social interactions and traveling, he's just that but in combat, when he fights an enemy he summons the Wizard he created from chargen and fight for him like a Persona. Only thing I can imagine being a pinch is how to implement melee since I was thinking that as "humans" they are allowed to wield weapons (using the 5e weapon stats) but then there's the concern where what if they want to let their Persona do the melee attacks instead, do they get better stats or something of the sort? That kind of shit can be troublesome in the balance of things.
>>
I really want to play a Firbolg in my current campaign. What would the best option for a support/tank role be? I was looking at a Moon druid, Nature or Tempest cleric, or Ancients paladin.
>>
>>54896324

Ask the Pathfinder guys-they might know it.
>>
>>54896419
Seems like a cool idea
I'd just have the persona's do all the fighting
like as if they were pokemon

(i've never played a persona game, though I do think the idea is cool)
>>
>>54896427
Thanks
>>
>>54896419

Probably not. If you want a better system for this the first time I came to this board and mentioned Persona somebody recommended Geist: The Sin Eaters to me. It's not DND but it might work better for you.

I think it works easily enough for magic classes but in the games they always use weapons but still summon their persona for physical attacks.

Come to think of it, I remember a 'martial maneuvers' thing that was meant to give martial characters more combat options. Maybe that'll help?
>>
File: 491-00-persona-arcana.jpg (297KB, 1200x649px) Image search: [Google]
491-00-persona-arcana.jpg
297KB, 1200x649px
>>54896419
Just fluff it so that their Personas do all the fighting, the humans themselves just wield their Personas. Maybe even re-fluff backgrounds as Major Arcana?
>>
>>54896315
You never need to MC but you have to realize they're.... primarily a spellcasting class with melee shit added on top. They get EITHER multiple attacks OR cast a spell and get a bonus attack. A lot of fighter things would eat your Action so you can't cast and thus your bonus attack and you're left with nothing.

You don't HAVE to cast+attack but it's their biggest advantage. If you MC you should probly go with something that boosts that. Stuff like the BB/GFB work well if you want more weapon attacks and if you're just tacking on melee attacks for other valor features you're still a full caster.

Pally smite might go well with it but I don't know if it'll be worth the 2-3 levels.
>>
Anyone got better downtime rules than the UA? I don't want my players writing themselves out the campaign when they want to craft something
>>
>>54896468

This kind of works, but (in the games at least) the human characters themselves fight too.
>>
Anyone have the PDF with sharkfolk and gorillafolk on hand?
>>
>>54895291
If you're the DM you can just add Shapechange to the Sorcerer spell list
It should honestly have been there in the first place
>>
>>54896403
Really depend on how you want to play. Lots of people use them as gish with Barbarian-ish hp pool.
>>
>>54896426
Arcana Cleric with Boom Blade and either Sword Burst or Lightning Lure depending if your DM will let you take Hand of Radiance (UA cleric cantrip that's basically Radiant Sword Burst).

Use a Shield and Quarterstaff, take Shillelagh via a 1 level Druid dip or Magic Initiate- Druid. (You can also use this for Thorn Whip, which I prefer over Lightning Lure)

You can get Heavy Armor via a 2 level Fighter dip, which will also give Action Surge (very good on any full caster).
>>
>>54896446
That is actually not too far off except Personas only come out when commanded to.

>>54896467
Sadly, my table is in that state where they're too comfortable with 5e to jump anywhere especially with time constraints. It's a miracle I even got a table like them together to play once a week or two.

>Come to think of it, I remember a 'martial maneuvers' thing that was meant to give martial characters more combat options. Maybe that'll help?

Good point, maybe I can implement that to the martial classes? Though I fear for balance but perhaps it's something to experiment with.

>>54896468
>>54896522
That's a good idea about the backgrounds. Might have to do some research though since you can't just slap something like Death Arcana and refluff Noble background to it.

Also regarding the fighting as melee, I think it really can't be helped. Might just tell them it's a caveat they have to deal with that their persona's melee strength will be shared with their human selves. Though now that you mention it, how about have it that for human character attacks, their STR/DEX mod won't apply to their weapon damage? Is that too much? Cause you'd think the player would feel their Persona's punches hurt more than their own.
>>
>>54896605

Maybe give them some kind of attack buffs. Maybe it could be class by class too.

That actually might be a decent way to do it, just using class abilities. Lay on Hands? summon your persona. Divine Smite? Summon your persona. Action surge? this is a part of me. etc.
>>
What are some fun warlock builds and options?
>>
>>54895611
Enlarge causes a 1d4 increase and makes you large, monster math is not the same as player math.
>>
>>54896655
>Advantage on Strength checks
>nerf damage dice to compensate
Thats spell specific and not pure size category effects.
>>
do attacking cantrips like shocking grasp use proficiency?

So if I have +2 Int is it 1d8 +2?
>>
File: 0bf.jpg (270KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0bf.jpg
270KB, 1280x720px
>>54896522
>>54896605
I guess it all comes down to how authentic to the games your players want to be. The easiest way I can see to incorporate personas in 5e would be a pact of the chain warlock, but I doubt your players all want to play the same class.

Honestly if I was DMing it would just be a matter of fluff. Your original idea is solid, their persona represents their "Class". Just let them play the game as normal from there, and work stuff out as you play.
>Casting Magic? Humans can't cast magic, so your Persona must come out.
>You got to 5th level and gained an extra attack? Cool, you swing your sword for one hit, which is followed up with a second swing from your Persona.
>Losing HP is actually your link to your Persona growing weaker. Whenever you take damage your Persona shields you from the hit, when you reach 0 you lose conciousness and can't summon your Persona to protect you.

As far as differing weapon stats goes, just have persona stats be the same as PC stats. They are manifestations of the human's soul after all, they can't be *that* different.

Yeah, you'd have to tweak the backgrounds a bit, I just thought it would be something that your players would find cool, and background features are more fringe/supplementary abilities so you can't go too far wrong with them in terms of game balance. Or maybe you want to leave backgrounds as they are and use arcana in place of Traits, bonds and flaws, entirely up to you.
>>
>>54896681
They have never implied or stated that a size increased PC should deal additional die of damage, Enlarge is literally the only precedent. Trying to apply an entirely different circumstance, and ignoring the more relevant one, screams of attempting to abuse the rules.

>>54896647
Repelling Blast+Grasp of Hadar, push them in and out of hazards, leaving them on the opposite side.
>>
>>54896697
Nope, not unless a class feature explicitly lets you
>>
>>54896697
You don't apply proficiency to damage rolls anywhere.
>>
>>54896731
Not even for spells?
>>
>>54896742
Why would you? What feature or rule is telling you to? Do you also add proficiency to initiative and HP cause lol, why not?
>>
>>54896742
nope. not for spells.
>>
>>54896742
Ability modifier != proficiency

Use the right term for your question.

But to answer, spell only add ability modifier when you have class feature or ability that state so (ie. Cleric potent cantrip at level 8)
>>
>>54896763
don't be shitty
>>
>>54896713
It's completely irrelevant, Enlarge does multiple things which are unrelated to size: the strength advantage and the WEAPON enlargement. They are not using a weapon of a size class above medium(or small).

Large weapons exist whether or not the character itself is that size. Actually sizing up the player to use such weapons without penalty is not really an option RAW. The one-size-too-small penalty is already there but for some reason they've specialized it to one size class instead of making it as generic as it could be interpreted.
>>
>>54896763
>>54896770
then what does it mean by

spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + int modifer ?
>>
>>54896594
Fighter dip doesn't give you heavy armor.
Only starting as fighter does.

And with that many dip, you are better off as Paladin.
>>
>>54896799
Each class has its own ability, INT is used by mages, sorcerers use charisma, and so goes on.
>>
File: Read Nigga Read.jpg (327KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Read Nigga Read.jpg
327KB, 500x572px
>>54896816
>>
>>54896799

That's your to hit.

You roll a d20, add int and prof and if the result is greater than their AC it hits them, otherwise it misses.

Nothing to to with damage.
>>
>>54896816
Excatly.
So if I were to cast, say, burning hands

Would it just be a flat 3d6 roll or 3d6 + my int modifer and prof?
>>
>>54896710

I definitely like the idea of tying the background into the arcana system. And Persona is a pretty interesting and open setting too.
>>
>>54896799
That is accuracy not damage.
1d20 + proficiency + int modifier to determine whether you hit.
Then you roll 1d8 for damage.
>>
>>54896742
No.
>>
>>54896837
>>54896845
Ohhhh okay
thanks senpai
>>
>>54896842
Attack != damage

Burning hand is flat 3d6 unless you are evocation wizard with approriate class feature.
>>
>>54896842
Attack = Int Modifier + Proficience
Damage = Int modifier only
>>
>>54896842
Read the spell again, then get back to us.
>>
What dip, aside from rogue, works best with a ranged fighter?
>>
>>54896860

Wrong, you don't add int to damage unless you have a class feature that lets you
>>
>>54896867
War Cleric if you want to use anything that isn't hand crossbow.
>>
>>54896867

Ranger? what do you want out of the dip?
>>
Evocation or Abjuration

I like abjuration for the shield so I can be more tanky but evocation for the extra damage on spells seems nice
>>
>>54896799
Attack rolls are what you roll to see if you hit. Many spells make you roll to hit rather than have the enemy roll a saving through.

For nearly all spells, the damage does not include another other than the 10d6 or what have you. Evoker Wizard I think does.
>>
>>54896902
What level range will your campaign start and end?
>>
>>54896902
the higher level abjurer feature lets you shield other people too, thats pretty fucking OP. I like me some damage but I always err on the side of caution in shit like that.
>>
>>54896860
Depends on the spell. If you were talking weapons and DEX or STR, you'd be right.
>>
>>54896637
Yep, that's the idea. Just that the basic attack does come into question cause Persona has Physical abilities that are stronger than the humans' basic melees. Attack buffs can be something. I was thinking like:

-Player A's High School Punk has a Strength modifier of +3
-High School Punk has a Longsword as a weapon and when he deals damage as himself he does flat 1d8 damage. No modifiers. But when he lets his Persona attack, the Persona gets the modifier bonus so his damage is 1d8 + 3 instead.

I think it makes it sound. Though ultimately, it would boil down to "Why attack as a human when you can just summon your Persona to do melee attacks?" especially since adding the "Persona Phys abilities cost HP" will totally fuck up the balance. But I think it should give player that feel they have a strong entity within them. It doesn't look like it'll hurt anyone.

>>54896710
Thankfully, my players did say they don't want it 1:1 cause they understand the amount of work to make it balanced (One More system would fucking destroy the action economy balances of DnD), I mean, they're fine if they don't cast Dia, Agi, Bufu, Garu, Zio, etc. (though that doesn't stop us from renaming some magic spells with the damage types to such if we want to but I digress) I guess you can say they don't want to play a 1:1 Persona TTRPG but more of a flavored one in the spirit of the games in a DnD ruleset if that makes sense.

>As far as differing weapon stats goes, just have persona stats be the same as PC stats.

True, in the end, they'll just have to make do but I sometimes remember how Ryuji's melee attacks pale in comparison to his Persona's God Hand and from there that's when I go back to thinking how I want my players' to feel that dichotomy in strength. But alas, it does make things bigger of a problem than it should be and I think just letting them share attack/damage stats will be a simpler way. I mean, I did say they're fine if it's not too authentic.
>>
>>54896895
I was thinking that and I'm already using other things (at level 10 too).
>>54896898
Flavor mostly, I'm waffling between staying pure fighter or adding in some sort of caster. My character is becoming the servant of a god which could work either way I choose and having everything else I'll get from fighter would be nice.
>>
>>54896941
Yeah, my bad.
>>
File: 1479612081538.png (378KB, 597x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479612081538.png
378KB, 597x800px
Is there ever a point to Fighters or Paladins going sword-and-board or dual-wielding or is it all greatweapons/polearms/memebows/memestaff all the time?
>>
>>54896934
1, don't know when it will end
>>
>>54896810
Forgot to add you start Fighter for CON saves.

And a 3 or 2 level dip isn't bad at all, plus they could always just do Heavily Armored and have 0 dips, but personally I think access to Action Surge and all level 1 Druid spells is worth the dip.
>>
>>54896895

There's not much point to Hand Crossbow with straight Fighters unless you do the dumb "I drop my crossbow for an extra attack" thing, which RAW aside is dumb as hell.
>>
>>54896962
Sword and board is okay. Extra AC and bonus shove from shield master help Paladin fish for more critical smite.

Dual-wielding is shit. SHIT.
>>
>>54897001
> He doesn't know that CBE is the meta
>>
>>54896962
Shield Master is very strong, especially as a support ability.

One of my favorite themes is RAGE CRUSADER, Medium Armor, shield, Warhammer, get in enemies faces and just be unkillable while the aura melts them.
>>
>>54896948

If you really want to multiclass then I'd pick something based on your stats. But if you have enough wisdom then Ranger or Cleric seem...okay enough.
>>
>>54896984
3 level dip.
You when other cleric are doing fun stuff like Spirit Guardian + Spiritual Weapom + Dodge action, you are still stuck at hitting stuff with your staff once per round.
>>
>>54896942

Ryuji's melee attack is just a basic attack. God Hand is melee attack +maximum smiting.

I think it'll just have to be one of those things you're willing to let go in the end.
>>
>>54897025
Forgot the actual class, duhh
>Zealot Barbarian
Play it like a 1% as strong Pelenial
>>
>>54896710
>>54896844
For backgrounds, yeah, I might have to modify them a bit to fit their characters' traits but as said, they're pretty minimal in the balance of things so I don't think I'll have a problem tweaking them here and there. I like the idea of just using traits/bonds/flaws for the Arcana though.

Also additionally, I keep thinking how to work Social Links/Confidants in since DnD has its own renown system so I thought that might be an avenue I can go for but then I remember how the biggest benefit of those was to level up fusion Personas - which I'll obviously omit due to the monumental task of implementing it - so I decided not to put too much stake on it. That said, Persona 5 did show the benefits that's outside the Arcana Burst bonus XP with the "skills" so maybe I can do that instead (Like the Death Social Link NPC they befriended will give them discount and access to new items as they get closer with the NPC) so it's not too fruitless of an endeavor
>>
>>54896859

Or a Draconic Sorcerer (Fire).
>>
Anyone ever play where a Gnome/Halfling PC used another player as a mount for extra speed in combat?
>>
>>54897001

you don't have to drop your xbow to get the extra attack.
>>
>>54897062
HA, I suppose Halfling Nimbleness never explicitly states HOW you travel in an occupied space.
>I climb the Barbarian and leap from his head!
>>
Are Morningstars like big flails or big spiked clubs? Because the latter would be amazingly rad.
>>
>>54897091
They're big spiked clubs.
>>
>>54897091
A morningstar is the name of a specific kind of mace head that basically has a bunch of nails instead of the usual blunt flanges iirc, so a morningstar could be a mace or a flail.
>>
>>54897075
Mounted combat rules mentions
>A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount, using the following rules:
Now Halflings/Gnomes are considered small. Imagine being a Halfling/Gnome fighter with protection fighting style. You could impose disadvantage whenever someone attacks your mount/PC friend. You can use his superior speed to make it easier to move around since the book mentions "Smart mounts can act on their own initiative."
>>
>>54897091

A morning star is a mace.
>>
>>54897027
Down the line I have 13, 20, 14, 15, 18, 13 so I would prefer cleric if I dip and that's part of the reason why I've been looking at war cleric more than anything else but who knows. Honestly I'd prefer staying pure fighter (they've never really been good at magic of any sort although that could be written of at having the wrong patron) but I also kind of want to get access to radiant damage to kill things we're going to end up fighting since the last hit needs that as a component or they'll get back up at like two HP.
>>
>>54894736
But I don't want to play as some studious old fart with a staff
I want to play as a hip young spellslinger who literally tosses fireballs at her foes without even trying
>>
>>54897126
> appropriate anatomy
Enjoy arguing about that with your DM
>>
If the DM planned out a long, 8 day sidequest for the PCs and planned to reward them with a level at the end, should he still reward them with that level if they went off the rails and solved the quest in 30 seconds with a well placed illusion and fireball?
>>
>>54894736
But sorcerer synergize better woth paladin.
>>
>>54897126
Just Geas something else into being your mount.
>>
>>54897163
Just make a saddle.
>>
If I crit as an Arcane Archer and then decide to use Bursting Arrow, do all targets receive the crit damage, or only the target that gets hit by the attack while the others still get the normal 2d6?
>>
>>54894736

Reminder that Sorcelocks are literally the best because they have Fighter DPS and full casting with Charisma (the best stat) primary to ensure their dicks are always wet.
>>
>>54897232
Counterpoint- Oathbreaker Fiendlocks
>>
Why does /tg/ hate lesbian characters so much?
>>
>>54897186
I'm thinking more of the synergy between protecting the PC you're riding on. Imagine taking the Mounted Combatant feat. You can redirect attacks from your mount to yourself and your mount has evasion. You also get advantage on fighting small and tiny creatures. You then use a sword and board with defensive fighting style so you have 19AC. You can also take Cavalier UA and also use your superiority die to give AC to your mount.
It's seems like a fun gimmick to say jump on the back or shoulders of your barbarian friend who rages into combat running quickly while you ride on his back attacking whatever he attacks and protecting him from the disadvantage of his reckless attacks.
>>
>>54897289
One-man support...fighter? Could be interesting.
>>
>>54897248

Counterpoint- Oathbreaker Fiendlocks are edgy faggots and a huge warning sign nobody likes.
>>
>>54897179
Depends on how said DM was awarding XP. If they avoided a bunch of combat and puzzles, no, not all of it.
>>
>>54894736
Sorcerers should have always had the Spell Point system ala the DMG. Makes them far more competitive with the Wizard and Bard.
>>
>>54897324
He's awarding levels via "Milestones" rather than XP because he doesn't want us murdering everything for levels.
>>
>>54897330
Personally, i use a mix of spell points and warlock level 6-9 spells to really set them apart from wizards. Doing so also lets you do away with the
>only 1 6-9 spell slot per day
rule, which lets high level sorcerers fill a niche of being able to throw extra strong level 1-5 spells by using spending the appropriate points. You'll never see a level 9 fireball from a wizard, but a sorcerer using my method could do it without wasting resources pointlessly.
>>
>>54897420
Right, that's smart.

In that case, I would say...maybe?
>>
Would you allow fighter subclasses that don't inherently use superiority dice to take the martial adept feat multiple times?

And before you say so, yes I know its not RAW
>>
>>54897320
You can do it "almost" as well with Archfey Ancients or Celestial Devotion/Redemption.
>>
>>54893454
What's wrong with paladins
>>
I want to make a Lawful Evil character based on House Targaryen. Should I be a Fighter or a Paladin? I'm thinking Fighter fits better but a Paladin makes a lot of sense as he'd be trying to establish his rule over the lands and so an Oath of Conquest or even Treachery works well. But a Battlemaster definitely fits the ASoIaF theme.
>>
>>54897179
Nope, just don't let on that it was supposed to be a bigger thing, and keep that level in your back pocket until a good moment for it crops up.
>>
>>54897459
No*.

It isn't a potency issue, martial adept isn't a strong feat, but i would be averse to setting precedent like that, and would be more likely to allow for "training" quest rewards to improve/add superiority dice and maneuvers to the feat they've already taken and encouraging them to pick up RP or flavor stats/feats if they don't need/want straight mechanical ones.
>>
>>54895197
Ummm what is spleling? If you meant spelling, the only error I see is yours.
Remember to proofread
Oh and don't shoot out fucked up replies to something that wasn't fucked up
>>
There is a divide growing between the players and DAM in a game I play. The DM hates that resting somehow cures injuries and heals damage. A player was hit by a falling rock and was knocked unconscious, the bard healed him for a couple points, and then we took a rest.

The DM was pissed that the guy spent a few hit dice and was back at fighting strength after an hour rest.

"He was just crushed to death, how is her healed after having a lunch break?"

Okay, so the guy wants more serious damage and lasting injuries, but has us going through a 50 room dungeon... How does he expect this to work? After someone gets hit with firebolt, he has to got to a city to get skin grafts in a hospital? We leave the dungeon and come back 8 weeks later after a guy gets shot with an arrow?

DnD doesn't work with realism, and trying to force it in is going to get tedious.
>>
>>54897601
Your DM is fucking stupid. Abort.
>>
>>54897593
I made that post too. I thought I spelled "destroyed" wrong, but it turns out I didnt.

t. non native english speaker
>>
>>54897219
Does noone know how this works?
>>
>>54897601
>>54897631
Let him know about the Lingering injury table in the DMG. When a character is brought to ) they can suffer from broken ribs, internal injuries, and you can refluff lose a limb to "broken" limb.
>>
>>54897601
HP are almost never realistic. What he wants is a system with wounds or injuries. Or ASOIAFRPG where you can regen hitpoints by taking injuries, like borken legs and shit.
>>
File: hp.png (61KB, 776x1220px) Image search: [Google]
hp.png
61KB, 776x1220px
>>54897601
Show your DM this.
>>
>>54897728
Now thats the good shit
>>
>>54897770
I haven't bitched about it but this has always bothered me, thank you.
>>
>>54895325
Strictly speaking I don't think so, and as a player I'd see it as a bit of a dick move unless there were some very unique circumstances ('the hobgoblin squad all square up their shields and starts moving in turtle formation down the ravine...')
>>
>>54897770
I like to think of Fighters similar to Zoro or Sanji in One Piece. You've trained to hit such monstrous levels of strength and durability that you can survive a building collapsing on you. Hell, you could be the one to destroy that building with a few swift and strong strikes from a sword.
Wizards can warp reality with their magic in D&D. I think a cannonball does 30 or so bludgeons damage. A 5th level barbarian can take that to the chest and keep on fighting.
>>
>>54897908
Yeah, I've always been a proponent of the "martials become supernaturally tough/quick/skilled" as they ascend in levels.
>>
How abusable would it be if I made it so the Glamor Bard in my game could Charm people without them being aware that they were charmed at the end? What if they just had a CHANCE of not knowing they were charmed?
>>
How do component pouches work? Do you just assume you have all components (without value) at all times?
>>
Any defense suggestions for running an encounter with a Mummy Lord? It'll be on his turf, but he's got such low HP it's really a concern if the players use anything with fire damage.
>>
>>54898118
Yep
>>
Fighter champion with the Hazirawn worth it?
>>
File: 1500670427371.jpg (144KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1500670427371.jpg
144KB, 572x303px
>>54896233
>>54896258

True, he does have darkvision. But I've houseruled darkvision away for most races, and I like the dynamic opportunities that physical lighting gives me. Like, what if an enemy realizes he's the only one with DV, so he grabs the lantern or torch lighting the room and tosses it down a pit or into water? One time, my players just sent the rogue into a bandit occupied castle to douse every light he came across, then they all shared a potion of darkvision and rolled over the bandits. I think the only way to have true creativity is through limitation. If everyone can see sixty feet ahead, it removes a lot of tension and roleplay possibilities.
>>
what sort of info should i print out for the inside of my dm screen?
first time dm but 3/4 of the shit on the official 5e screen seems kinda worthless
>>
>>54898168
give him more hp
if they bitch ask them why they're reading the monster manual
>>
My Battlemaster is Level 6 currently. My Variant Human feat is HAM, Level 4 I took ASI (because DM made us roll for stats and I got shafted), and level 6 I took Sentinel. I'm not sure what to do for level 8. I really want the Shield Master feat, but my STR is still only 18 right now. How important is having a +5 to my main attack stat? Could I coast along from levels 8-12 with only a +4 to STR? Or should I get that +5 ASAP and get shield master later?
>>
>>54898168
Wrapped in seaweed instead of linen, resistant to fire damage, watch metagamers futilely throw fire damage while others do something else.
>>
>>54898263
A laptop or phone open to 5etools.
>>
>>54898322
fair enough
>>
File: 5e Rules Summary.pdf (214KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e Rules Summary.pdf
214KB, 1x1px
>>54898263
>>
>>54898317
Doesn't really make sense in the context for him to be wearing seaweed since he's in the desert.
>>54898291
I guess I could?
>>
>>54898168
>tomb doesn't have any oxygen
>tomb is full of flammable gas
>tomb is underwater
>tomb is asbestos
>give the Mummy Lord more HP
>give the Mummy Lord a McGuffin that confers resistance to Fire but weakness to something else
>>
>>54898168
The Mummy Lord's major trouble comes from his lair more than the ending boss fight. You can always scale the HP up, it's just a game mechanic.
>>
>>54898354
Was just an example, enchanted linen, some sort of fire retardant cloth, or, even just hoarding and using some sort of liquid to keep himself safe.

Or, go really crazy and combo it up. Have him dip himself in oil, and also immune to fire. The instant they use fire damage, he suddenly is dealing fire damage on being hit and on his attacks.
>>
>>54898338
know where i can get this in landscape mode?
>>
>>54898263
>>
>>54898439
Turn it sideways
>>54898355
>asbestos
Are paladins immune to cancer?
>>54898386
>>54898394
I guess the problem could be getting to him more than the fight itself, but after going over the effects of his spell list I think I could do a good combo with Insect Plague and Spirit Guardian.
>>
>>54898492
Both concentration.
>>
>>54893503

Eww. I don't like that design at all. Does it have tentacles and fins? and spines on its back? DUMB
>>
>>54898519
Insect Plague is, not Guardian of Faith. It has an 8 hour duration.
>>
>>54898548
Reread what you posted.
>>
>>54898560
My bad, I get the two confused. I meant Guardian of Faith for both.
>>
File: Kraken.jpg (228KB, 628x437px) Image search: [Google]
Kraken.jpg
228KB, 628x437px
>>54898543

What sort of design would you prefer?
>>
>>54898072

Isn't that an Enchanter's gig?
>>
I'm putting together my first ever character and he'll be using the magic initiate feat (selecting bard). I've got everything settled except for the 1st level bard spell to take. I have healing consideration taken care of, so no cure wounds or healing word. Also preferably nothing that will require concentration. Beyond that, I'm just looking for something with a nice overall utility.
>>
>>54898206
You are aware that no pc race has true darkvision? They still suffer I'll effects in total darkness.
>>
>>54898589
Yeah but the whole thing of Glamor Bard is focusing on charms. Kinda silly that Enthralling Performance is one of their archetype abilities but they'll probably never use it because everyone afterward will be pissed off
>>
>>54898670
When you say you have healing taken care of, do you personally have it? As in cleric/druid? If not, Healing Word is likely still your best option.
Assuming you already have that, Puppet (UAStarterSpells) is a situational, but potentially fantastic use of a turn, while Charm Person is out of combat. If you don't have good Cha for spell saves, Feather Fall, Identify, and Detect Magic, and Comprehend Languages are all potentially useful regardless of casting stat and on nearly any character.
>>
>>54898670
How about Dissonant Whisper? 3d6 psychic in 60 ft and killing the target reaction is nothing small.
>>
What kind of feats can we expect in Xanathar's Guide to Everything? Do you think the skill feats will make an appereance?

What do you think of the currently released UA feats?
Personally I hate the weapon feats, but I think the skill and tool ones are great.
>>
File: 5e Rules Summary.pdf (214KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e Rules Summary.pdf
214KB, 1x1px
>>54898439
>>
>>54898823
The extras on the weapon feats are a much better concept than power attack for GWM/SS, but the +1 attack bonus kills my interest.
>>
>>54898823

I want feats that grow based on character level.
>>
>>54898857
ty
>>
>>54898872
The problem I see with weapon feats as they are is that they seem "mandatory" to take if you use a certain weapon, because they outshine almost anything you could take except for maybe GWM/SS. I agree that the +1 to attack is the biggest offender here
>>
>>54897132

A dip in some kind of cleric class would fulfill that need while also giving your fighter access to some decent 1st level utility spells. Although a lot of them won't scale very well.

What's the rest of your party like?
>>
Is Deep Stalker RevRanger 8 /War Cleric X a good build?

How about BM Fighter instead?
>>
>>54898309
Pls respond.
Tl;dr Change my +4 STR to +5 or grab Shield Master?
>>
>>54899031
Cleric (he went from being a slightly altered trickery cleric of Asmodeus to a slightly altered light cleric of Asmodeus and jolly cooperation), bard (pure lore bard, he's lost the ability to feel anger and he's pretty much replaced his consciousness with that of a sentient magic item), barbarian/druid/warlock/fighter/? (bear totem moon druid with a fey patron, he's pledged himself to a druid goddess and is a drug kingpin), bard/rogue (valor/whisper bard and working towards assassin, he's the champion of the plague god and is a follower of a death god who we need to take down), and fighter (gunslinger fighter, mercenary who has found meaning in dealing death via a goddess of death who the bard/rogue got killed).
>>
>>54899180
>>54898309
Getting a 20 is typically better than a feat for Damage Output.

HOWEVER, shield master is different. This isn't an easy question and it really depends on your play style. Do you enjoy the huge damage numbers more? Or being able to do cool tactical shit? You already have some maneuvers but those do use resources, and better STR will get your DC for those higher.

I think that the Math says you should go for the 20, but SM is more about creative tactics than raw numbers.
>>
Do you or does your DM ever rule that only characters proficient in a skill can make a skill check?

To me this makes perfect sense for all of the knowledge based skills. A barbarian with 10 INT and an outlander background shouldn't have a 5% chance on a DC 20 Arcana check to decipher some arcane glyph.

Almost none of the players in a game I'm running have seen this. Am I wrong?
>>
>>54899238
Depends on the check. I run Skill challenge like events and I never let non-proficient characters roll during those.

But, if the Cleric wants to look for traps because the Ranger is in the other room, I see no reason to say no. Especially if there's no time pressure.
>>
>>54899238
If the whole group is in a position to attempt a check, my DM will only let proficient PCs roll for it, to prevent them being overshadowed by others, but if i'm having a conversation with an NPC he's not about to tell me that I can't lie to him because i'm not "proficient" in it.
>>
>>54899238
One thing i sometimes do is allow people who are proficient to use a different skill than normal, and at a different DC. Typically, knowledge of the undead would involve Arcana for me, but if you have Religion, you can roll that instead, and with a lower DC. You won't get the exact same information, but the basics are more widely known amongst the priesthood. Similarly, many traps and travel hazards normally involve dexterity, such as finding your footing on a slick ledge, but if you have proficiency in athletics, i'll let you substitute that. Sometimes it's a higher DC, like crossing a tightrope, but other times its lower, like crossing a rickety bridge that is breaking underfoot.
>>
>>54899238
Requiring proficiency doesn't make any sense. The GM can rule that a player cannot possibly succeed. In that case, no roll is necessary. You shoulnt even call for a roll if failure has no consequence. Maybe the barbarian can run his fingers around the glyph, hit it with his hammer, stick it with his knife. Maybe that might reveal something about it, but who knows what else might happen? When Gimli hit the One Ring with his axe, his axe exploded. What happens when the barbarian sticks his hand into something he doesnt understand?
>>
>>54899238
For all the DMs I've had it depends on the skill and situation. Anybody can lie, try to spot something or even try to know something but obscure knowledge or difficult skills will often be either impossible or have a much higher DC.
>>
>>54899222
I tend to do a lot of tactical shit. I play almost as a support fighter. Maneuvering Strike to get squishies out of the way of enemies, position myself in front of the big guys so that they can't just ignore me and run off to smack the little guys, because of Sentinel OAs reducing speed to 0. I use my HAM to facetank OAs from enemies to
A) Make them use their reaction so the little guys can freely move around them
B) Get to the other little guys who need my help

I tend to use a lot of my actions to shove or grapple enemies to move them away from my squishies so they can leave without eating an OA, so I figure basically getting a free shove every turn would really benefit my playstyle, and the party.
>>
File: 1499928622782.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1499928622782.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54899238
>A barbarian with 10 INT and an outlander background shouldn't have a 5% chance on a DC 20 Arcana check to decipher some arcane glyph.
REPEAT AFTER ME: NAT 20 AREN'T A THING
>>
>>54899401
If you use any of your attacks to shove routinely, you are 100% better off getting Shield Master. The ability to use a bonus action definitively outweighs adding +1 to a weak save and the 1 fewer attacks made.
>>
Why can't Survival checks to not get lost be group checks? Why do the rules force the whole party to just blindly follow one "navigator" and not even attempt to individually keep track of where we are
>>
File: 1492589316119.png (704KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492589316119.png
704KB, 1920x1080px
>>54899422
Anon, a dc20 is achievable at a 5% rate with a 0 modifier. Which is the scenario the other anon proposed.
>>
>>54899424
Cool, thanks dude.
>>
>>54899372
What I mean is either decide - is there a possible reward to this action? Is there a possible punishment? If yes to both, let them roll. Decide this based on how you want your characters to play. If you think the Barbarian examining the glyph is cool and interesting, let him roll and risk some spooky shit happening for the reward of knowledge. If you dont think the barbarian examining the glyph is cool and interesting, just say "You examine the glyph and cant discern anything about it. Maybe if you had paid attention in arcane class... [Wizard], what are you doing?"
>>
>>54899401

I agree with >>54899424.

If you're Shoving a lot, go with SM.
>>
File: 1463404069166.jpg (112KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
1463404069166.jpg
112KB, 800x532px
>>54899238
>>54899372
Checks like history and arcana are to see if the character encountered or learnt about the particular thing before they became adventurers
there's always a chance that the outlander barbarian encountered exactly the same glyph on a standing stone and suffered the adverse affects of triggering it
of course he's going to remember something like that
but what are the chances of him encountering exactly the same rune when he didn't spend any time specifically examining runes?
5%? maybe
>>
>>54899422
DC 20 means you need to get a 20 - either with or without modifiers

So, with a modifier of +0 you'd need to roll a 20 which just so happens to be a 5% chance
>>
>>54899422
I make my players roll a 1d20 and reroll if they get a 1 or 20
>>
>>54893429
So just getting caught up on UA.

3 Pillar Experience is basically nothing, right?
>>
>>54899646
Pretty much, just use milestone instead. 3 Pillar is for groups that like marking down XP but want a consistent way to earn non combat xp.
>>
>>54899646
Yeah, it's the second month of utter disappointment in a row
>>
>>54899646
Yeah, it doesn't scale well at all. I ran the numbers and my 8th level party would have gained like 3 levels from their last encounter alone.
>>
How would stealth casting spells work? Can a mage mutter a spell instead of speaking it loudly or could they covertly do handsigns instead of waving their hands around like an idiot?
>>
>>
>>54899680
How? Did they fight 60 people at once?
>>
>>54899680
I'm gonna need to see this math
>>
>>54899758
>>54899760
I'm exaggerating a bit. We had a player out for the first part, so it was 6 PCs vs an encounter made for 7. They killed like 53 Skeletons and 6 ghosts. The 53 skelly's was one level. They used up a lot of resources and cleared it, then the player showed up, so his character came, Then they did a lot of investigation and trap clearing. And fought 8 more ghosts and 2 flameskulls. I think this all would have given them a second level. Then they fought the "boss encounter" which was 5 Nothics with some magic items, 10 Wights and a Local Noble who had been corrupted by the Nothics.

It was really 3~4 encounters in 1 dungeon. But still, I'm pretty sure with all the traps and fighting and then reconverting the Noble to Good, it put them at +3 levels.
>>
>>54899738
In general, its obvious when you are casting a spell. If someone was watching you closely, there'd be no way for you to cast it without them noticing. Somatic components are probably limited to making hand gestures, so if you were hidden behind a wall you might be fine. Or maybe you can pass them off as you adjusting your suit or something. Verbal components require you to enunciate clearly, at least a low speaking voice. People might hear you, but maybe you can tell them its a prayer for good luck. Depending on your situation, stealthily casting a spell may require a slight of hand check, a stealth check a bluff check, or any combination.

>>54899824
Keep in mind that parties over 6 earn half XP and creatures with low CR are only worth 2 XP.
>>
>>54899738
Subtle Spell Metamagic
>>
>>54898736
Warlock with Healing Elixir. Puppet feels good for the character. I never want people to be aware of my manipulations, so charm person is out.

>>54898743
I have access to that normally as a GOO Warlock, otherwise that would have been my choice. Also, apparently ELDRITCH BLAAAAAAST.

amidoinitrite?
>>
>>54899910
I forgot about the half XP for a party of 7. Still, the first encounter with the 53 skellys was with 6, so that's at least 1 level. Probably 2 with all that other stuff.

Using normal XP, they only got like 4000 XP from all that? (And that's with a 200xp per character per session bonus I give to keep the pace up even if no combat happens.)
>>
>>54899422
Wow holy shit are you retarded.
>>
>>54899422
Wow
>>
File: 1502240844093.jpg (2MB, 2000x1327px) Image search: [Google]
1502240844093.jpg
2MB, 2000x1327px
>>54897287
Fa/tg/uys hate women in general and the idea that there's someone out there that doesn't love dick in particular. See: all women are bisexual, corrective rape doujin memes.
>>
>>54900137
Don't respond to the bait you fucking idiot
>>
>>54898492
Cancer is a class of diseases characterized by out-of-control cell growth, so yeah I guess Paladins are immune to it.

Frankly Paladins probably can have a full life span if it wasn't for their job always having them going to the edge.
>>
>>54900137
As a /h/ooligan, nothing wrong with hate.
>>
>>54899238
Knowledge checks require proficiency, everything else is doable by everyone.
>>
Why do Grave Domain clerics get access to Revivify as their domain spell? Doesn't this go against their whole philosophy?

>Gods of the grave watch over the line between life and death. To these deities, death and the afterlife are a foundational part of the multiverse’s workings. To resist death, or to desecrate the dead’s rest, is an abomination.

If I'm not mistaken that's pretty clear. Don't res shit, shit is meant to die?
>>
>>54900523
"But goooooooood, if I bring this guy back to life we'll kill like a thousand nazis.
>>
>>54900523
To me, Revivify is more a "This one was taken before it's time" sorta thing for them.

With it's strict timelimit you're not rezzing some long dead body, you're basically healing someone a little too late.
>>
>>54894154
Wait, they can?
>>
>>54894965
Arcane Ward is way better than raw or temp HP.
The most important thing about arcane ward is that damage taken by it does not trigger concentration saving throws, which is really good for preventing your big spell get stopped by mooks taking potshots.
>>
File: zdw.png (1MB, 805x862px) Image search: [Google]
zdw.png
1MB, 805x862px
>>54899422
Because needing a modifier of +20 to to reach DC 20 with a bonus of 0 is wrong?

>I AM SO BLINDED BY THE OH NAT 20 LOL MEME I CANNOT SEE LOGIC .....oh a anime poster....
>>
>>54894154
>>54900594
fairly sure they can't
for most (not ranger, fighter or rogue) spellcasting classes there's a line under "spellcasting focus" which tells you what your class can use as a focus
wizards, sorcerers and warlocks get arcane focuses
which are the orbs and staffs from chapter 5
It's unlikely your DM is going to care all that much if you want to use a wand instead of a component pouch, which is still an option for all casters
>>
>>54900801
Wait. The Bard, an ARCANE class, can't use arcane foci? How fucking stupid.
>>
>>54900812
>Spellcasting Focus

>You can use a musical instrument (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells.
>>
>>54899550
This is absolutely fine. My ex-city watch fighter recently rolled high on a nature check to identify some moss that dealt cold damage. I just said that he used it at the guard station to keep the drinks cold.

It's only realistic that anyone can know a random tidbit about anything.
>>
>>54900812
Wait. The Bard, an ARCANE class, can use divine spells? How fucking stupid.
>>
Have you implemented an concept like 4chan instead of oracle into your game.
>>
>>54900983
Why would you want a cesspit of autism in your games?
>>
>>54901085
Genocide target for the party
>>
>>54900983
Could you elaborate?

IRL I use 4chan and specifically /tg/ and /5eg/ as collegium board and come here to exchange information and experience.

In game equivalent would be... library or Oghma's temple or something.
>>
>>54901109
Fourth counsel full of debate about the world they live in and many other non existence one and the thing within it. Player may seek these place for forbidden, forgotten, or even forsaken tome and information. The thing they get may lie or traumatizing truth.

Pretty much a library with false information within it.
>>
Which would win:

>orcs encamped in a walled town with only one narrow cliffside path that can reach it, but ranged weapons with a maximum of 30ft
>humans with bows with a range of 150ft, and 300ft trebuchets, supported by melee guards weaker than the orcs
>>
>>54901577
>trebuchets
say no more, trebuchets always win
>>
>>54901577
How many of each?

You typically need at least 3 times more attackers than defenders in a siege.

You could simply starve the orcs out or bombard them into submission or the orcs would sally forth and either kill or break out
>>
>>54901624
>>54901615
Two trebuchets - though the PCs might destroy them in advance. I'm trying to balance the sides so the humans would definitively win if it weren't for the PC's help for the orcs.

There are currently 120 humans (broken down into 4 bands of 10 spearmen, 2 bands of 10 each manning one trebuchet, 2 bands of 10 each manning one ram, and 4 bands of 10 archers.).

70 Orcs (broken down into 7 bands of 10, each with short-range javelins and greataxes). Supported by the PCs, and they have basic defences.
>>
>>54898732
Enthralling performance does that correctly.
>>
>>54901681
>Orcs
>Supported by PCs

Nigga why?

Anyway whichever side has the players on will win and the orcs could just attack and win anyway

But why would they help Orcs over humans
>>
>>54901827
>But why would they help Orcs over humans
One of the PCs is a half-orc whose entire backstory is about getting orcs out of slavery and bringing them to dominance.

I wrote the orc camp originally as a small side quest for the party to clear them out, but they've ended up taking it over and now have to defend it.

As for the players, in theory that's the plan, but I want the humans to have sufficiently overwhelming power that the players have to set out as much sabotage and planning in advance as possible in order to survive.

The PCs are only level 6 and there are 120 humans to fight. By themselves, the orcs will just get smashed up by trebuchets and longbows.
>>
File: 1470315361924.jpg (119KB, 857x932px) Image search: [Google]
1470315361924.jpg
119KB, 857x932px
>>54901827
Obviously they love the BGC anon
GREENED
>>
>>54901827
>>54901851
That is pretty interesting, orcs besieged by dickish humans. Without trebs though I don't see any way humans can win it at all. Walls are too good.
>>
>>54901872
Currently, the walls are very patchwork, though the party have the option to replace or repair it for higher stats.

The human rams are enough to batter a hole in the wall in one hit at the moment using the mechanics I'm working out.

I'm quite hyped for the battle, but there's a lot to plan. Using a combination of the mob mechanics from the DMG and some home material.

Wouldn't mind a review if anyone's willing to do some mechanics thinking:

Each band of 10 is treated as an individual monster with total damage equal to the total damage of all units contained within the band divided by the number needed to hit, rounded down.

For health, it's the combined hitpoints of every unit in the band, but a unit is lost at every hitpoint interval.

DMG 250:
Target's AC - Attack bonus = minimum d20 roll needed (review attached table)

Orcs
===
(Chance for one to hit Humans: 11/10/10/8)
Orcs needed to hit: 2
Melee Damage per Orc: 9
Ranged Damage per Orc: 6
Range: 30 ft
Max Health: 150
Hitpoint Interval: 15

Humans
===
Guard Block
---
**4 blocks**
(Chance for one to hit Orcs: 10)
Guards needed to hit: 2
Melee Damage per Guard: 5
Max Health: 110
Hitpoint Interval: 11

Ram Block
---
**2 blocks**
100% hit rate
Damage to Wall: 40 per hit
Max Unit Heath: 110
Max Ram Health: 100

Trebuchet Block
---
**2 blocks**
Mob Rules not applicable
+5 to hit / 44 damage
Max Unit Heath: 110
Max Trebuchet Health: 150

Archer (Scout) Block
---
**4 blocks**
(Chance for one to hit Orcs: 9)
Scouts needed to hit: 2
Ranged Damage per Scout: 6
Range: 150 ft
>>
>>54901872
He should give the humies a couple covered rams out of the DMG.
That way they can attack the poor fuckers escorting the rams up the cliff path with traps and shit if they wreck the trebs' beforehand.
Also, you should totally have the humans start constructing new seige equipment out of nearby greenery if the first assault fails, just to add a sense of time burnin away.
>>
>>54901931
>>54901931
>>54901931
NEW THREEAAAD
>>
>>54897232
>they have Fighter DPS
We've already gone about how this is simply untrue dozens of times.
>>
>>54900801
Plenty of wands say "Can be used as an Arcane focus by a spellcaster"
>>
>>54895558
>Warhammer: 1d8+STR
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.