[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games without combat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (12KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 189x267px
Have you ever played a game without combat? How did it go?

How do you make a non-combat game interesting? In combat players can make tactical choices which directly affect the outcome of their challenges. How do you get a similar level of player involvement for tasks like repairing an engine or building a farm?
>>
>>54891917

Of course.

Well.

Geneally you need a specific conflict to substitute the engine of the interest (in the game by the players). A dedicated system/game really helps.

You don't do this shit. You make them interested in persons.
>>
>>54891917
the investment comes from caring about seeing their endeavours succeed or fail, let the players figure out what they care about or want to achieve and then let them make choices which directly influence those things, this is pretty basic stuff that also applies to combat-focused games

obviously, in terms of giving them clear choices playing a system with good mechanical support for non-combat stuff helps, I'd personally recommend MonsterHearts
>>
>>54891917
No combat != no conflict.

I once ran a 1 on 1 40k pnp where a player was suddenly catapulted into the role of Planetary Governor, through the chicanery of parties unknown at the start of the campaign. There was a grand total of one "combat" in the game, which was settled without rolling, he shot the guy who had a knife with the poison needle in his ring and just killed the assailant.

Instead, the bulk of the campaign was an intrigue one, and rarely left the governorian palace. He almost never did anything directly, it was all centered around who he was trusting, who he was believing, and who he was tasking with a given mission at any one time, including making sure the other people doing their own missions properly.

We could have easily eliminated the "fight", and it would still have significant stakes and significant combat.
>>
>>54891917
I did. It was very very lewd.
>>
>>54891917
I ran an adventure where the situation was so lopsided that the party could not combat and had to rely on speed, stealth, and positioning to escape. Then I had them inherit an old keep and figure out how to rebuild it. They said they had fun.
>>
>>54891917
Yeah, it was a horror campaign where combat meant you fucking died. It was fun for the three sessions we had but I couldn't imagine going on for long term.
>>
Sure, many times
>cyberpunk setting
Adventure starts at a party, group is supposed to pick up a pair of shades loaded with some illicit software and get out. They loved the mood so they ended up staying, shooting the shit with the bartender, ordering weird drinks, befriending a russian wrestler, making up war stories, trying to impress models and making odd wagers. This filled the whole session and the ploot hook ended as they drunkedly gave away the shades to some european model.
>>
>>54891917
by making sure violence isn't completely off the table.

You can intrigue, politic, and build all you want but when your plans come crumbling down and the one bastard responsible is in punching distance but the game says you can not hit him period can kill all future interest.
>>
One idea I've been toying with is having the characters be colonists on Mars, trying to establish a base and maybe reveal hidden secrets of the planet. However, I don't know if the challenge would really be there because everything would be a straightforward dice roll without any strategic thinking or planning involved.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.