[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me find a wargame

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: BS-darkroom-table-top-ga-13.jpg (459KB, 1200x677px) Image search: [Google]
BS-darkroom-table-top-ga-13.jpg
459KB, 1200x677px
Hello /tg/, I've been playing wanting to get into the war gaming community for such a long time. I love the models, lore, games, but I can' decide on what to play. To make this short. Here is what I'm looking for from most important to least.

> Cheap
Okay, I know war gaming isn't cheap, but what I mean by cheap is "not GW prices". I don't mind spending $100+ for a starter set or a big army, but what I do mind is having to pay $50 dollars for 5 units that are basically just infantry.

>Easy
Once again, I know that wargames can be hard to get into.I'm okay with a decently complex rule set, but I'd prefer simpler. I really like Age of Sigmar's 4 page rule book. It makes it super easy to start, and play your way through. this is mostly so when I try to get people to play with me, they don't run in fear (looking at you 7th edition 40k).

> Lore
Lore is something I take to heart. I love reading books, I love learning about the history of the world, and it really feels like the world is a real thing. I don't need 15 issue novels, but I do want a fairly fleshed out world.

> Room to grow
Adding on to the lore, I want to be able to make my army unique with my own lore in the world, and my own characters.

>Setting
My favorite kinds of settings are sci-fi and fantasy. Even things like Malifaux's steampunk-fantasy is fine. This is mostly just put here, so that I won't get any WWII or modern day games.

> Portrayal of women
I know, I know. This is a weird thing to put in, but I really mean it. I don't mind scantily clad women as long as it's purposeful. Once again looking at Warhammer; Slaanesh is a perfect example. Her whole shtick is sex, drugs, and rock n roll. I cringe when I see games where a female knight has essentially just a set of metal bra and panties. Even though this is last on the list, it's still an important thing to add on.
>>
Sidenote: I don't mind painting or building. Horde armies are perfectly fine.
>>
File: pink_guy_what.png (668KB, 838x792px) Image search: [Google]
pink_guy_what.png
668KB, 838x792px
>>54880845
> That pic.
> Hair covering one eye.

That would piss me off so much. How does he not go insane?
>>
>>54880845

Infinity. Sci-Fi setting. Comparatively cheaper that Warhammer. Lore is supposed to be interesting. That said you may not like it's portrayal of women, it's rules are somewhat complex, and you can't really make your own unique stuff.

Warhammer. Has room to grow. Has lore. Has a good setting. New rules are really easy. The portrayal of women is generally reasonable. But it's expensive.

You don't even want to think about Warmahordes. Trust me.

There are some historicals which are pretty cool depending on what you want.
>>
>>54881009
>How does he not go insane?

Because doing a hair flick every 10 seconds is so awesome?
>>
>>54880845
Nothing even comes close to 40k's "Room to Grow".

If you want something like that and without the need to spend a lot of money, consider something like Necromunda / SWAG. Bash together a small gang of dudes, and it's all you need to get into it.
>>
>>54880845
Every other wargame is in its death throes, just bow down and face to Games Workshop.
>>
>>54880845
If you want large fantasy battles with easy rules you might like Kings of War. It's a pretty good replacement for warhammer if you don't like Age of Sigmar. Lots of people play at my local store, and games are pretty quick. It's pretty generic as well, and it's designed so you can use whatever minis you like. Feel free to mix cheap and cheerful Perry historicals with skeletons and some sculpting effort to make undead knights or whatever you like.

Another generic fantasy game more aimed at skirmish play is Frostgrave. Again, there's official minis but anything goes. It's hugely dependent on your group though, since it can be pretty busted unless you house rule some stuff. The rules are dead easy. It's a d20 system, so it's pretty swingy. Mordheim gives you more individual customization and you can usually find the rules online somewhere, since it's no longer officially supported. Both need tons of terrain.

I like wrath of kings and its d10 system, but it's a game by coolminiornot so it's doomed to burn out soon.

I haven't played much sci fi in ages, but battletech is great if you want big robots, a rich setting with several tech levels to set your games in, and tons of customization. You can add on modules to move from land based robot fighting to airplanes to space ships. It's old, so there's tons of ancient metal models available, and some Russian manufacturers are selling models ripped from the latest pc games if you want some really nice ones. I suggest getting an intro box and sticking with that tech level for a while.
>>
>>54881280
>I like wrath of kings and its d10 system, but it's a game by coolminiornot so it's doomed to burn out soon.

What's Coolminiornot going to do to ruin it?
>>
>>54881314
They crank out tons of different games, so the odds of any one sticking around and getting support is slim. Wrath of kings got a second wave of models and an updated set of rules, so it's better than many, but I've already seen several folks drop it. If you can get a little group with everyone playing a different faction it should last at your location. We've got three duplicates, so it's a little stale around me.

Great models if you like the style though!
>>
Be aware OP, without a community to back you up, no matter how good a game might be it's likely you might end with a lot of plastic/metal miniatures for a game no one wants to play.
fucking 40K and AOS, people drool over that thing while all other games are seen as "meh"
>>
File: 00-Dropfleet-Beijing1.jpg (226KB, 920x518px) Image search: [Google]
00-Dropfleet-Beijing1.jpg
226KB, 920x518px
Do you like spaceships, anon? Dropfleet Commander is excellent, if so.
>>
>>54880845
>Okay, I know war gaming isn't cheap, but what I mean by cheap is "not GW prices". I don't mind spending $100+ for a starter set or a big army, but what I do mind is having to pay $50 dollars for 5 units that are basically just infantry.

GW is that price because that's what the market will bear. So unsurprisingly, many wargames in the same scale and genre are similarly priced, if not even more expensive, such as Warmahordes and Infinity and X-Wing.

The only cheap wargames will be historicals or the producers famous for cheaper and lower quality miniatures, such as Mantic, who have recently improved in quality but also increased in price.

This isn't a hobby you "try" or indulge in "on the cheap". You sound like you want all the benefits without putting in any investment. You won't be able to get a Gibson Les Paul for Epiphone prices nor will you be a rockstar without years of practice. Wargaming isn't like some F2P video game you can just try out. It's why people get so upset about the prices and waste so much time on sunken costs, because they either made a mistake or they're in too deep to get out.
>>
>>54881280
>I haven't played much sci fi in ages, but battletech is great if you want big robots, a rich setting with several tech levels to set your games in, and tons of customization. You can add on modules to move from land based robot fighting to airplanes to space ships. It's old, so there's tons of ancient metal models available, and some Russian manufacturers are selling models ripped from the latest pc games if you want some really nice ones. I suggest getting an intro box and sticking with that tech level for a while.
Ok, so, I love the fuck out of BattleTech, but I can't in good faith recommend it to a new prospective player, for two reasons.

First, the company that runs it is terminally incompetent and doesn't fucking do anything at all. Like, they are currently being sued by someone over copyright infringement (it's complicated) and what was their response? Hire a lawyer, fight it out you say? Nah, they didn't even bother showing up to the court date. They just gave up before it even started because they assumed they'd lose or some shit. Catalyst Game Labs is incompetent as fuck in all ways and are slowly strangling BattleTech to death.

Second, and much more seriously, the fanbase. BattleTech is an old game, comparatively, and it has an equally old, entrenched, fanbase. As someone hitting 30, I am by far the youngest person I know who plays BattleTech. Because of this, the fanbase is generally pretty hostile to new players, figuring that it isn't worth explaining things to them because they'll just move on or they'll get it wrong or whatever. Luckily, /btg/ here on /tg/ is fairly exempt from that, but it still happens sometimes.

BattleTech is a great game, lots of history and complexity and good times to be had, but the company is slowly killing it and the fanbase is toxic as fuck. If you're ok with those issues, BT is waiting for you. If you're not, you better stay away.
>>
File: 1497676416817.png (10KB, 531x339px) Image search: [Google]
1497676416817.png
10KB, 531x339px
>>54881713
Trying playing games by proxy before committing to anything.

Choose one that looks cool lore-wise and fits your criteria, and then learn the rules. You can get just about pdf around here if you look and ask.

After that get some toys, paper cutouts, coins, whatever, and try the game. Get a friend or a sibling or a mirror and give it a go.

Like what this anon said, any wargame is a money sink. But people do it because it's their hobby, and it's what makes them happy. Don't take it lightly.
>>
>>54880845
Infinity and Malifaux are relatively cheap and pretty fun
>>
>>54881767

> Portrayal of women
>I know, I know. This is a weird thing to put in, but I really mean it. I don't mind scantily clad women as long as it's purposeful. Once again looking at Warhammer; Slaanesh is a perfect example. Her whole shtick is sex, drugs, and rock n roll. I cringe when I see games where a female knight has essentially just a set of metal bra and panties. Even though this is last on the list, it's still an important thing to add on.
>>
I like Guild ball but sadly I have no one to play here.
>>
>>54881775
Infinity has a bit of cheesecake, but it's not all that bad.

Malifaux is basically fine for this
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.